Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
This topic is for Accord owners to post their MPG. Please be sure to include the model and year.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Comments

• blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Daily driving around town: 20 to 22 mpg
    Flat open highway, rarely touching the brake: 33 to 35 mpg
    Realistic mixed driving: mid 20's
  • stacey_burkestacey_burke Member Posts: 88
    2004 exl 6cly auto
    25 to 27 city hiway mix
    30 to 34 hiway/mountain driving (colorado)
    drive into town each day and do not have city average.
  • us002840us002840 Member Posts: 6
    2005 Accord EX - L w/ navi and 4 cylinder

1200 miles

last tank - 30.2 mpg - 70% highway driving at average speed of 60 mph
  • zitchzitch Member Posts: 55
    4door, 2.4 L 4-cylinder, 5-speed auto

Daily commute (~80% Highway): 27-30 MPG
    Average interstate: 30-35 MPG (at speeds between 70 to 90+ MPH)
    Best Tank: 38.5 MPG (All interstate with cruise at 70 MPH)
    Worst Tank: 18 MPG (First tank between first fillup and second fillup after I purchased the car)
    2nd Worst Tank: 22 MPG (All city driving, plenty of WOT accelerations from lights)
  • rcc8179rcc8179 Member Posts: 131
    2.4L I-4, auto trans, 59,700 miles

>Overall average - 29.7 mpg
    >Best tank - 37.3 mpg from Indy to New Stanton, PA on I-70 (avg speed 75mph, some construction backup)
    >Average on highway trips - about 33 mpg (right at EPA highway estimate)

My normal commute is 35 mi round trip, about half highway and half stop/go.
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    2005 Accord Sedan LX I4 Automatic Transmission
    Purchased in early March 2005
    Miles driven so far = 1750

Best Tank = 29 MPG => 95% Highway driving at ~ 80MPH
    Worst Tank= 19 MPG => only city driving :cry:
    Last Tank = 20 MPG => only city driving :mad:

Far from driving like a maniac..... :confuse:
  • hermannhermann Member Posts: 38
    Hi,
    1500 miles on new '05 Accord LX 4-cyl AT Sedan

1st Tank 26.5 MPG 50/50 city-hwy mix :(
    2nd Tank 28.0 MPG 35/65 city-hwy mix :)
    3rd Tank 27.5 MPG 50/50 mix :)
    4th Tank 31.5 MPG 20/80 mix :D

Happy Motoring

Hermann
  • gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    Hi
    I have 2001 miles on my 2005 Honda Accord Coupe.
    1st 24mpg
    2nd 27 mpg
    3rd 26mpg
    4th 30mpg
    Overall the gas mileage is improving though in the city it really likes its gas..
  • flyvtecflyvtec Member Posts: 3
    My odometer currently reads approx 29k miles.

Mix city/hwy = 24mpg
    The highest I ever achieved was 34mpg on my trips to Las Vegas from San Diego.

I use 91 octane (Chevron or Mobil only).

Enjoy the ride!

:shades:
  • honda5876honda5876 Member Posts: 1
    I usually get 26/mpg highway, no city data

When I bought my car, the tires were inflated to 40psi, however the manual says 32 F, 30R. Did they make a mistake or should I be adhering to the what the manual says?
    honda5876:

Your tires should be inflated in accordance with the sticker on the door post. I.e. 32 psi front, 30 psi rear (or no more than two pounds over that if you choose). Forty pounds could make for dangerous handling since the tire's contact patch with the road would be rounder, not as flat (think of a round balloon). That results in less road contact and the real possibility of skidding.
  • todd7todd7 Member Posts: 16
    I have been amazed by the mpg of this car. I currently have 15k on it and am averaging 34-38mpg.

I only use Chevron 92 (which may be a waste of money) and drive 95% highway between 60-95mph. I test my fuel economy by filling the car until I see fuel in the lip. The tank should hold 17.1 gallons, but I fit almost 3 extra gallons.

My best miles on one tank so far has been 652.

Happy motoring :)
  • dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    Only filled up 3 times so far... have about 1000 - 1300 miles on it now.

1st tank - 25 mpg
    2nd tank - 26 mpg
    3rd tank - 28 mpg

Driving conditions were about 70% highway with some stop & go due to traffic. I have been driving it rather sedately because it's just getting broken in. I expect the mileage will increase as the car breaks in. I'll follow up in a few months.

Dave
  • firemann1firemann1 Member Posts: 14
    2003 Accord EX V6 Sedan:
    26.2 mpg over 47k miles over 26 months. 80 - 90% of miles are rural and 55 to 70 mph.
    Mileage drops off to average 24 mpg in coldest winter weather in Iowa (richer air/fuel mixture and fewer trips). Summer mileage runs close to 27 mpg. Trips on the lightly traveled intersate range from 29 to 31 mpg.
  • durbs68durbs68 Member Posts: 11
    2005 Accord EX 4cyl
    3100 Miles
    Last two fill-ups averaged 28.4 MPG in mixed driving.
  • joe122joe122 Member Posts: 68
    Mileage: 1110. One month old. Mixed city and hwy. has been between 24.4 & 25.6. I feel this is low for a 4c. Tires have proper inflation. Dealer says that the mileage will improve when 2000 is reached, but I find this hard to believe. At that point, they will check to see if all is well.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Normal mileage : commuting to work 8 miles highway 80mph, 8 miles hghway 45-65 mph, stop-n-go 7 miles. 23.5 miles per gallon

Borla Exhaust and K&N air filter.

Highway trip to Dallas 29.6 mpg.

I don't drive real hard, but somewhat sporty.

YMMV,

Cruis'n in 6th :shades:
    MidCow
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

The PZEV’s tank over tank: http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/595-pzev-accord.html

Best segment to date:

Best distant segment to date.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    Wayne:

Was that a 93 mile high CLIFF that you drove off?
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Blane:

The tank over tank link and descriptions have the details and the site has many tips and tricks … That last tank concluded after 905.8 miles using 18.309 gallons for a personal best 49.473 mpg in a non-hybrid. I am hoping for a 50 - 51 mpg tank within the next few weeks but Friday afternoon traffic tomorrow here in the Chicago area is absolutely ruthless in pursuit of my goals :(

This is a 2005 PZEV based - I4 equipped - Honda Accord EX-L w/ Auto and NAVI.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • yoribe2yoribe2 Member Posts: 65
    30,000 miles, automatic transmission

60% highway driving
    40% town, suburban driving

Combined average 27 - 29 MPG. Falls right between EPA estimate of 24 city and 33 highway. The best so far is 32.5 MPG on a long drive (400 miles) from Bay Area to LA area. I use Chevron 87. ;)
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Your dealer forgot to properly prep the car - which includes deflating the tires to proper pressure. They are over inflated to diminish the possibility of a flat spot while the car sits on the lot.

99 LX 5 sp 38K miles
    Avg 25MPG normal commuting, 32 cruising on the Autobahn at 90MPH.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Best 32 mpg @ avg. 70mph
    Worst 18 mpg in city in winter.

new model have more power and better mpg - now if they can make it a little less fugly, I might trade up :P
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    35 mpg at 72 mph Pittsburg to Tulsa (I70)
    30 mpg 50 mile expressway communte
    do not drive in city for long.
    38 mpg at 60 mph no AC on 300 mile trip to Dallas and some tail wind.
  • nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    I am original owner of a 1993 Honda Accord LX automatic sedan.
    It has 275,700 miles, just had my third timing belt and water pump installed.

At 65 to 70 mph I get 31.x miles to gallon.
    At 75 to 80 mph I get 28.x miles to gallon.

This is on my regular commute, 84 miles round trip, mostly
    highway (12 city, 65 interstate, 7 miles country road).

Best milage on almost all highway driving in non-rain is 34.x mpg at 65-70 mph.

I change oil every 3,000 miles, plugs and air filter every 30,000, I keep
    tires inflated to 34 pounds. I have valves adjusted every 30,000.
    My tires last 70,000 to 78,000 miles. I use Michelins.

My car uses no oil. I use regular gas and 5W30 oil and Honda oil filters.

Though dealer says it is not needed, I put Slick 50 into my car every
    two years (about 44,000 miles) in the late fall.

This is the best car I ever owned. Only repairs were a recent exhaust system
    (the first one ever), one set of rotors, 3 sets of disc pads, A/C valve, one set of
    CVC boots, two batteries, one battery cable, reboring of EGR ports, low beam
    lamps (3 sets - I drive with low beams on always), one master cylinder and many, many heat control knobs. Of course I have the transmission, coolant and brake fluids drained.

I hope to keep driving the car till it has 340,000 to 370,000 miles.

Dealer service mechanic says this car drives like a 100,000 Honda would.

I think it is the oil changes (which I do myself) and the preventitive maintenance
    done by the dealer.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I noticed that you did not mention the replacement of the struts or shocks. Do you still have the original ones?
  • nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    Yes, still have the originals; just picked up my car from the Honda dealer
    on Saturday and I had said earlier that they are the originals; they said there
    is no sign of leakage or damage so do not replace.

Also they said the rear engine mount had moved out of position and they
    got it back into place; a rod had come loose. This reduced the vibration
    when in drive and at a stop.
  • alexandriaguyalexandriaguy Member Posts: 1
    1600 miles on odo. About 21-22 in urban driving (slightly lower with A/C on or excessive use of heated seats). Better than my 2002 EX Auto 4-cyl which got about 19 under the same conditions (was capable of 31-32 on long freeway trips, however).
  • jordyladjordylad Member Posts: 1
    Overall average since new (in Jan 2005) 25.7 and improving all of the time.

I measure tank to tank fill ups just for kicks (and to keep track of how I am doing against my 15k annual lease mileage).

I am not a slow driver by any means, but I am no leadfoot (I rarely use brakes!!!).
    I averaged 29.1 last weekend, roundtrip from LA to Vegas (600 mile) cruising at 85mph most of the time (but did pull 100 a couple of times, as one must, he-he).
    My roundtrip daily commute is 60 miles 85% highway mostly at 70-85mph (yes in LA........ where I carpool) and I'm consistently now in the low 26 mpg range.

Gotta add this is a great car for the price. I came out of a BMW 740i that I loved but was tired of pouring $ into. I wanted a cheap commuter (I drive a Nissan 350ZR S-Tune (Nismo) for weekend fun) and got this on a 3 year lease with no $ down and $279 for 35 months. I am saving so much money............. I love it.
  • vitalipvitalip Member Posts: 1
    odometer has 14,5 mi
    in city driving conditions, with a/c on i get 30 mpg (that is about 420 miles on 14 gallons of regular gas)

does anyone have any experience with fuel eficiency gadgets (magnetic Fuel Boss or Tornado system)? they promice up to 15% increasein fule efficiency... i think even 5% would be cost beneficial in a long run.

any comments?
    vitalip:

Save your money. Don't even think about "fuel efficiency gadgets (magnetic Fuel Boss or Tornado system)". All such products have been tested repeatedly by independent organizations and proven to be advertising-hyped ripoffs.
  • oldjoeoldjoe Member Posts: 132
    Mileage indeed does improve...I have a two month old 05 Accord 4-dr EX-L 4 cylinder and got 30-33 MPG on flat Interstate jaunt between cedar Rapids, IA and Rapid City, SD on the first weekend I had the car. Speed was 65-80 MPH. At 2,600 miles on the odometer, I took a trip this weekend from Cedar Rapids to Praie du Chien, WI - 206 miles round trip over non-Interstate highways and averaged 34.5 MPG...speed 60-70 MPH in rolling hills.

I am a new Honda convert from the domestic "stuff". This time I figured if I couldn't beat them...join them. The 4 cylinder has about the same "pull" as my 2002 Ford Escape V-6 (200 HP) whose best run...downhill with a tailwind was 26MPG and regularly gave me 14 - 18 MPG in city driving. The Accord gives me anywhere from 20-25 MPG in lead-foot heavy city driving...a bit less if I am waiting for my friend and keep the engine running for the AC. Fit and finish of the Accord is the best I have ever seen and is a mystery because the Accord is built in Ohio...is the UAW the culprit...it would seem so. After 50 years of driving I am totally impressed by the Honda experience, passing "punch" of the 4 cylinder Accord is great and a lot more than I expected.

I think it is interesting that the Honda Accord has a 1,000 lb maximum towing capacity (I have a small boat to tow)...the same as the Ford Escape I4 and Escape Hybrid. both of which also get less highway mileage than the Accord Sedan.

Great gas mileage from a good looking well-made auto!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...a great thread!!!

....7/24 delivery: '05 Accord EX V6 6-speed. Full tank: At 160 odo, fuel needle has moved little. Former car was V-6 Solara:5-speed with 32-34 FWY MPG capability. I'm confident this 240HP VTEC can push hard on that envelope.. :P

all the best................ez
  • reticentreticent Member Posts: 11
    Accord 2003 4cyl. coupe - auto. Only 11k on odo.
    full tank - about 266mi.
    NY local 75%
    Freeway 25%

The reason behind buying a 4cyl was to save some bucks on fuel, but it's not happening. Any idea to increase the fuel efficiency? Thanks.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    2003 Accord LX Auto, 4 cyl, 60k miles (about 60% city).
    At 65-70 I get 34MPG
    At 70-80 I get 32-33MPG
    At 80-90 I get 30 MPG

Had tranny replaced under warranty at 35k miles, Honda extended warranty to 60k. Car drives like new, love it.
  • josephjb1josephjb1 Member Posts: 2
    49K on my accord now and my mileage keeps getting worse. I was getting 32 mpg 40/60 city/hwy mix, and now I'm getting 23 mpg under the same conditions. What gives. In the last year my mileage has slowly been getting worse and worse. I've taken my car to three dealers and they all insist there is nothing wrong with the car, after charging me 100 dollars to look the car over. Plus, they keep telling me this low mileage is within normal. However I didn't buy a I4 to get 23 mpg. My car has had been well taken care of, and I'm still having this low mileage issue. Tires pressure is also perfect. Anyone have ideas?
  • edededed Member Posts: 1
    I had an issue with my brakes, yes brakes. This may be a remote chance you are having the same problem, but worth a look.

I have discs front/drums rear. One of my front calipes were stuck in the "brake" position. If you can build a mental picture, when the brakes are NOT applied, 3 pads are floating away from the rotor, but 1 is always in contact.

In effect, I had 25% of my front brakes always on!

The way to check for this problem is to first look in the "sight hole" in your calipers. Check to make sure pads are wearing evenly across all 4 pads. On mine, I had excessive wear on the pad that was "always on"... Duh!.

If stuck, you will have to remove caliper pins and grease. Pad replacement recommended, along with resurfacing rotors.

My results..... gas milage went from 28mpg to 32mpg on my 96 Accord. Costs of pads and grease paid for itself :)

Good luck.
  • redoneredone Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased 2002 Accord Coupe (2weeks ago)
    25,000 miles - Paid $16500.00
    Runs great but mileage is really poor. I just cannot figure out how a car that runs and idles this good has such poor gas mileage.
    1st tank - 19.5 Strictly in town
    2nd tank - 18.5 Mixed (150 mile round trip strictly highway) rest in town
    3rd tank - 17 Mixed
    I can sit at a light and actually watch the gauge move.

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.
  • mkmeademkmeade Member Posts: 1
    I have driven my 2005 Accord EX V6 over 1,000 miles, and noticed it is getting much worse fuel economy than I expected. One tank of gas gets me 200 miles before the low fuel light goes on. Yes, I am driving in Chicago city traffic with the AC on, but I still wouldn't expect it to be so low. I called the dealer and they claim this will persist through the first 5,000 miles due to something about the "catalyst not running" and the car learning my driving style (?).
    mkmeade,

Catalysts don't run. The catalytic converter is a passive device in the exhaust stream, in line with the muffler.

Your mileage may improve slightly as the miles accumulate. But, the key to real improvements is your driving style. Fast acceleration, hard braking, extra cylinders, excess weight in the trunk and driving up hills costs fuel as much as heavy traffic and high air conditioner useage.
    ..blane points have merit here: weight, driving "style", a/c.....these add up.

EX V-6 6M Coupe: 1st tank: 27.7; 2nd: 25.6.......third tank (just above 1/2 tank on guage) indicates 215. Odo = 855.

..these cars are engineered for both performance AND fuel efficiency: work with 'em

all the best, ez
    Hey ezshift5,

Great car choice, I have a 2005 Zainoed Black EX V-6 6M Coupe w/NAV. I put on a Borla Exhaust, Sylvania Super Whites (still toying with getting Xexons), and K&N Air Filter. Mine is just getting broken in at about 8,000 miles.

I get about 23 mpg commuting to work 22 miles one way (7miles at 80, 7 miles at 65, and 8 stop n'go). I get about 30 mpg on pure highway driving at 75 mph.

I probably could get better mpg, but it is too much fun to drive sporty.

Cruis'n in 6th :shades: ,

MidCow
    ....midcow, you are right!

It's a great car. about 950 on the odo now.....

..appreciate your 30 'pure highway'..........(that's what the EPA shows: 30 Highway.

Question: Is the V-6 interference or non-interference. Nearby dealer indicates non; I'm not so sure he's correct......

all the best, ez......
    Unfortunately the V6 is an interference engine, however the belt change interval is scheduled at 105,000 miles.

Motor-On :shades: ,

MidCow
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194
    I'm at 52K miles right now, and recent trends are not good this summer.

Since June:
    In town: 19.x
    Highway: 27-28

Previous summers I had usually managed 20-21/29ish, and this past winter/spring was 21-22/30 until the sharp drop in the first part of June. Tire pressures all around 34 psi cold.

If I don't end up trading it on a TSX (love that 6-speed, but can't quite pull the trigger), I might have to see if the air filter merits replacement before the 60k service.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • mlewandowskimlewandowski Member Posts: 18
    Have 6500 miles on this car, usually returns 20 to 21 mpg in town and 31 to 32 on the
    highway @ 65 to 70 mph. I just replaced the oil with Mobil 1 0w20 and filled with
    Shell V-power, I'll post any changes in mpg.
    ....6M

1055 odo....3rd tank (mostly around state capital; some ac use):

...this is a really well engineered automobile...........

all the best, ez
  • plunger88plunger88 Member Posts: 1
    anyone know how to fix this problem. casey honda says it cannot help. this can is driven by my mom. 76 years . no hot rod. thanks dave
  • mrd2mrd2 Member Posts: 6
    Picked up car with 11 miles and "full" tank from dealer, drove all city miles and a/c running most of the time.

1st fillup:
    227 miles
    9.4 gallons
    24.1 avg.

Not bad so far.
  • nash123nash123 Member Posts: 82
    I do not know what is going on but I am on my second tank (around 400 miles on the odometer - city driving with no abnormal stop/go's)

Used about 1/2 tank and I am at 130 miles! That would yield approximately 260 miles for a full tank - about 15mpg. The first tank (dealer filled it up) was around 15 mpg figure too.... And this is not stop/go traffic in congestion, your regular city traffic in Chicago (I drive my car on the weekends, no drive from/to work).

This does not sound right, does it?