Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    No,man. Run the OEM Honda air filter and the OEM wires.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Years ago I ran a K&N air filter in a Toyota pickup. Aside from increased noise & a VERY slight increase in gas mileage, there was no difference.

Your Accord is already 10 years old. Even if the K&N increased your gas mileage by 10%, it would likely take more than 10 years to recoup the (horrific) expense, but I doubt your car would last that long--maybe it would.

So what is it you are looking for? A hot rod? Amazing mileage? You haven't told us what your goal/desire is. IMHO, you are getting acceptable mileage. Not great, but acceptable. Spending a fortune on aftermarket "hot rod" parts makes little sense unless you actually want a hot rod. Then buy a new exhaust system too & wind up deaf from the noise. You would likely be better off to save your money and buy a newer car that meets whatever need you are trying to satisfy. Good luck.
  • bulldogbobbulldogbob Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate the comments. My sole purpose is to increase mileage without causing any deleterious effects in any other area. What about the 0 resistance wires and how about e3 plugs?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Pump your tires up to 40 psi (measured cold). That is by far the most bang for the buck in mpg.

Skip the K & N.

Also - the slower and smoother you drive the better.
    How about the o ohm resistance wires and e3 plugs?
    I don't see the wires paying for themselves either. I had a Scirocco that I did that too and it really didn't make a noticeable difference. If there was an inexpensive way to improve mileage without a downside, then Honda would probably do it.

Now they won't give the MT Accord (or Civic) a tall top gear, but I guess they fear people will think the car is underpowered if they have to downshift on the highway. In 90,000 miles on my Accord I have never downshifted on the highway ever, and would really love to have a nice tall economic and quiet 6th gear (like Camry) even at the expense of the occasional downshift (after all if I didn't want to downshift I wouldn't have bought the manual).
    edited August 2010
    No,man. Run the OEM spec plugs. I change my oem NGK platinums every 75-80k miles. your type of driving is the geatest determinate of your MPG. Lots of short trips/drivethrus is gonna be less mileage than your buddy who commutes 15 miles to work and straight back. Fact of mpg life.
    If you need plugs & wires, I would only buy non-Honda parts (like those you mentioned) if and only if they were similar in price. I might pay a few bucks more, but as others have mentioned, the improvement in gas mileage is likely to be so small that you won't notice.

Practice driving smoothly and without ANY quick accellerations. If you have a manual transmission, put it in neutral and coast to a stop when you know you will have to stop. I wouldn't bother coasting downhill (illegal in some states), but if yo ulive in a real hilly area, that may help.
    Curious as to why the K&N filter would not be a good choice as the filter is more efficient and would replace the disposable filters?
    edited August 2010
    The K&N filter itself isn't a bad choice--as far as air filters go--and I hope I didn't portray it as such. The OP questioned the concept of buying the entire K&N intake system, at a cost of over $200 for improving his car's gas mileage. At that cost, he would likely never recoup his investment. This particular debate is more about the cost/benefit ratio than about filter efficiency.

I understand that K&N has made some progress regarding filter cleaning from years ago when I tried the one I had. I found cleaning to be a real PITA since first you had to soak/clean in K&N's proprietary cleaner, then re-oil the filter with K&N oil. It was just plain a mess! I believe the process is easier now.

Let's not forget that originally the K&N filters were designed for off-road use in real dusty conditions, where cleaning & re-use were major benefits. While they are still benefits for street cars, I would personally forego the cleaning process and simply replace the disposable filters once a year, as the disposable filters are quite affordable online. But that's my choice. Obviously, you can choose to do whatever you wish. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    More efficient = more porous = more dirt gets through. That's your call.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I would wonder is 34 mpg obtainable in real world for 2011 accord I4 AT?
    It would depend on where and how you drive.
    I appreciate your take. I was considering just replacing the filter(which needs replacement) with the K&N. I don't mind the maintenance. As far as increased particulate intake does not seem to be of significance.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I think it depend on where you drive.
    my 2006 camry v6 get 497.5 miles, used 14.989 gallons. that is 33.2 mpg.

mostly highway driving, a lot of cruise control.

camry v6 can get up to 600 miles with a full tank ( 18.5 gallons). for 99% freeway.
  • jonahdogjonahdog Member Posts: 28
    Just got back from 3500 mile trip from East Tn to Colorado. Crossed Ky, Mo, Ks into Colorado Springs. Then east into the Rockies and North to Steamboat Springs. From Steamboat Springs went over Trail Ridge (Rocky Mtn Natl Park) to Estes Park. Then crossed NE to IA. From Ia south to Kansas City then across Mo to Mt Vernon Il and south to Nashville then back to East Tn.
    Best 39 mpg - Worst 31 mpg Avg @34 over the entire trip.
    07 4dr 4cyl manual accord Ex - 45k miles. We did NOT baby it on this trip. What ever the traffic was doing we matched, otherwise speed limit with a/c on. Very happy with the performance. Don't want to do it again, seats need more padding :)
    You can read my posts in this forum; I used to be able to achieve high 30s regularly with my Accord, in the last year and a half, I've not manage more than low 30s. The last trip I took was at 72 MPH literally from station to station, minus 3 miles of 55mph highway, and I got 28.3 MPG. Pathetic. I'm not sure what's wrong with the car (no check-engine light, clean filters, fresh proper-weight oil, transmission freshly serviced, Bridgestones inflated properly (just over, actually). Mechanics couldn't help me. Couple that with an untraceable rattle, and I'm tired of the car I once loved.

I've sold the car (2006 I4 EX 5AT) for $13,750 and am replacing it with a 2009 Sonata V6, which actually got better mileage on my extended (90 min) test drive than i got on my entire highway trip in my Accord.

When the car was great, it was phenomenal. Now it is lackluster. Good luck to you all, I truly feel the 2003-2007 Accord was the last of the great Hondas, mine just has issues.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited September 2010
    Grad, I'm encountering a similar decline in the mileage on my '02 EX V6. I used to average 22-23 in my daily commute and now it's down to 19-20, despite all the factory-recommended maintenance. And my Fit is down from 33 to about 30 as well. Could it be a change in the fuel blends we're getting in the Southeast? (I'm next door in central Georgia).

Do you still have the '96 Accord, or is it gone as well?
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Well, that is too bad, grad. My 06 EX-L manual still gets phenomenal mileage after 84k miles... never had a tank under 28 mpg and only a handful under 30. Original tires and brakes.

IIRC, the only thing different on your car from when you bought it was the new tires. I know that can drop things a bit but perhaps not that much.

Good luck with your new ride.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,542
    other than the basic tune up stuff (air filter, plugs, wires), I would assume that anything else significant (cat convert, O2 sensors, etc.) would throw a code.

the other big ticket item that could do it is the tranny. maybe the TC not locking up? but I think you would notice that. if not by feel, by RPM!

otherwise, it is going to be weather (more AC/way colder), new tires, or a biggie, fuel blend.

going from straight gas to 10-15% ethenol mix has a noticable impact.

oh, and of course, there is driving habits.

really hard to imagine that you will get as good MPG with the sonata V6 (not a renowned gas sipper) as even your new, lower Accord figures, but if you like it, not that big of a deal.

my 2005 4 cyl, at about 58K, pretty much gets the same MPG it always did. But if I had to get a new set of wheels tomorrow, the 2011 Sonata would be high on the list of options.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• zatireszatires Member Posts: 39
    Just got back from a short trip. Hand calculated as for some reason 2010 Accords do not have trip computer.

Got 30.5mpg
    About 290 miles highway and 30 miles city. Highway speeds average 75, at times 80-82 miles.

It is a 2010 EX-L
    Not sure if it is good or not. Was thinking it would be better than the EPA estimate, was really hoping for 32mpg.

But oh well.

We have 10% ethanol blend in all our gas nowadays. Maybe a factor.
    FWIW, My personal experience has been that 10% ethanol = 10% worse mileage.

We get a pretty consistent 31-32 mpg in our 2010 EX-L V6 at highway speeds.
    edited September 2010
    I know the V6 Sonata won't get mileage as good as the I4 Accord used to get, but I expect it to at least match what I'm getting now; it's only rated 2 MPG below what my Accord is rated yet has much more power. It's still tops in V6 economy I believe, for the midsize class.

To those who know me around here, you know that it's a sad day that I'm actually happy to see the Accord go, but in the last year it has really bothered me, and truthfully, it hasn't been a problem free car like I hoped-for. New console lid (fabric coming off the lid), CD changer (refused to eject), gas flap parts (wouldn't open), rear-view mirror (glass literally fell out of the plastic housing), and currently the MPG issue, the annoying rattle (a rear strut-tower perhaps?) as well as the auto-off headlamps having some issues (they don't come back on when I click unlock). When I look back, it really won't be hard to beat this car when it comes to problems. Nothing was major, but a real disappointment considering I've had more problems in the last 5 years with it than with my '96.

By the way, I'm keeping my '96 with 215k miles; it still averages 27-28 MPG in my commute. 2.2L non Vtec sedan, still going strong. That sort-of eliminates the tires and the gas/ethanol being the culprit; they had the same kind of tires (Bridgestone Potenza G-series) and had gas bought from the same RaceWay and Chevron stations. The '96 saw no drop, yet the '06 lost a solid 6 MPG mixed, 8-10 MPG highway.
  • kazoo2ukazoo2u Member Posts: 11
    Just got back on a trip San Antonio to Corpus Christi. Kept speed between 65-70 using CC, had A/C on. 330.8 miles using 10.411 gallons = 31.77 mpg. Fill-up from first click to first click, mileage using trip odometer, mpg using hand calculator, tires inflated to 33 psi. Car has only about 3800 miles on it.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    it's a sad day that I'm actually happy to see the Accord go

Indeed. :sick:
    My fiance is very sad; she loves the car but hates the rattle too. We're in a state of mourning because the car really shines in many respects. Happy to be getting $13,750 for it. It is in excellent shape and the selling price reflects it. It stickered at $23,800 new in November of 2005 when I got it.
    Sorry to see the Accord go Grad. I really think the tires played a huge role in the mpg. I remember when you first got them I looked it up on Consumer reports and they had the lowest score possible for rolling resistance. On top of that the more worn a tire gets the more efficient it is since it is smoother and lighter. So you went from best case scenario (efficient OE tires that were worn) to worst case (inefficient tires that were new).

Enjoy the Sonota. Hyundai really has moved up lately. The new redesign Eats the Accords lunch for Fuel economy. 35 mpg highway vs 31. Though in all fairness it looks like Honda boosted it up to 33 for next year.

Still happy with my Accord averaging 34.6 mpg lifetime (91,000 miles) 10 tank rolling average is now at 38.9. 20 tank at 37.7 and 50 tank at 35.6.

This is the perfect time of year for mileage. Don't need AC, but still warm enough to run efficiently. Next year after the snows come off I will replace my OE tires with some of the new super low rolling resistance tires and see if that makes a difference.

I do love my Accord, but If Hyundai keeps going the way they are they will get a serious look. Better mpg plus all the goodies that Honda refuses to put in anything but top models like bluetooth, lumbar, heated mirrors, usb port for stereo, trip computer etc. etc.
    I first thought it was the tires too, but I had the same tire on my '96 and still managed close to 30MPG on my highway commute to work.

Sorry, I feel like I've hijacked this thread with the sale of my Accord. I really do feel it had a great balance of athleticism and ride, although having a quieter car will be a welcome change on these highway trips. The V6 Sonata felt a little tighter than the 4-cyl I'd tested. Yes, it is more Camry and less Accord, but the MPGs are quite high for V6 midsizers. Time will tell if this proved to be a wise purchase, but the Accord's number is up.

I've enjoyed participating in this, and other Accord forums, and will continue to from time to time. :)
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    EPA fuel economy figures do not say it all. I cannot remember whether I saw it in a recent issue of Car & Driver or Motor Trend, but in their comparison the I4 Accord actually showed better overall gas mileage than a comparable Sonata.
    I trust consumer reports far more than the magazines that are funded by car ads, and their tests show the Sonata to have class leading fuel economy.

Yes the EPA is not always right, they tend to under rate manual transmissions and they tend to over rate large cars with large engines.
  • bluepearl1bluepearl1 Member Posts: 7
    I am getting 19.5 miles per gallon when I am driving within the city. The car has less than 700 miles on it and is still in the break in stage. I hope I will get better milage when I take it to the interstate. I am using the trip computer to find out the mileage. A few posts ago, somebody mentioned that there is no trip computer in 2010 Accord. That information is not true. At least my accord is equipped with one.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Yes the Nav models have a trip computer, none of the other models have it. A steep price to pay to get a trip computer.
    We just returned from a 1000+ mile Round Trip to Las Vegas. Mileage for the entire trip averaged about 30 mpg. We encountered some headwinds, which dropped the mileage down to about 26 mpg, then with tailwinds on the way home, mileage was 31.5.

This was in a 2010 EX-L V6 (VCM) running mostly on the freeway at 75-80 mph using CC, with the AC off if it was cool enough outside (about 50% of the time).
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    Honda's breakin period lasts a lot longer than most people believe. My car gave poor mileage for the longest time - many miles. But one day, it started purring and sipping gas. My Honda is fantastic.... yours will be too ....
  • bluepearl1bluepearl1 Member Posts: 7
    I recently stated that in the city my Honda V6 EX-L w/ Navi is giving me roughly about 19.5 miles. During the weekend I took it on a trip to Las Vegas and on my way to I got 31.5 mpg and on way back got about 26.5 mpg. So overall, I got about 29 mpg. I got this mileage with the Climate Control being in full automatic. I used the trip computer to get the mpg information. My car has now a total of 1017 miles on it. I am happy with the current milage I am getting and hope that it will improve at the car is completely broken in. I do not have any VCM related issues, no vibration, sudden surge or lack of power. It performs real smoothly. Overall, the car drives like a tiger and I am very happy with the performance and the acceleration that I get with the V6 engine. So far I did not have any problem with the driver's side airbag. However, last night and today it seems that the driver side door is a little sticky. But then again, it could be my imagination since I am reading a lot of the posts talking about the driver's door problem.
    My 08 had drivers side door problems as well as my current 2010. Most of the time the handle operates just fine. There are times when it has sat in full sunlight at 90+ degrees that the handle needs quite a tug to open the door. Passenger door may be the same but gets much less use so I'm not to sure. It's really a minor issue, not worth the dealership mechanics tearing it apart and possibly leaving me with the door in worse condition.
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    "Sorry, I feel like I've hijacked this thread with the sale of my Accord."

Grad, nothing to be sorry about. I've learned a lot from your posts and enjoyed them tremendously - always insightful, organized and interesting. Hope you will post here with comparisons of both brands. Happy motoring in new Sonata........
    I'll still be around, as now I own two cars -- my '96 Accord and my '09 Sonata.

Thanks for the well-wishes with my new-to-me car. :shades:
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....and return to NorCal: 412 miles on 13.7 gallons of 87. Even at 7200 feet (without a blower yet), the J30A4 pulls amazingly well.................

Who sez performance and economy are diametrically opposed?

all the best, ez....
  • hondafoolhondafool Member Posts: 9
    I have 2010 Accord EX-4 (190 hp model). I have my "B" trip odometer at 4500 miles and the avg MPG is 29.1 for those 4500 miles. This includes highway and city driving, mostly highway. A recent trip from NC to WV (360 miles each way) included in town driving as well and the average was 32 mpg. Same coming home. I'm very pleased, especially since I'm not "featherfooting" but driving at normal highway speeds of 70-75 when I can.

This is incredible. My 2008 V-6 was hard pressed to do much better than 27 mpg under similar conditions. Oh but I still miss the power of the V-6, if not the VCM.
    I've noticed this and a few other postings referring to the alpha numeric engine designations. Got me curious enough to google it and found that Wikipedia has a very thorough page dedicated to the chronology of Honda engines, linked below for those interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine
  • accord_v6accord_v6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a 2007 Accord SE V6 with 19k miles on it.
    While driving it 65/35 city highway my mileage is 18-18.5
    Is this ok or too low? Any opinions?
    To return that kind of mileage you would have had to been mashing the throttle all the time. Assuming no severe aggression towards the throttle you should see 25 mpg's or better with a 60% steady 65 mph the balance a mix of stop & go up to 35 mph.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,542
    not really that out of line. again, everyones concept of city/highway is different.

I have a 2005 odyssey and a 2000 TL. Purely around town, with AC, the TL will only get 17-18. the Odyssey maybe 15. My accord 4 cyl 5 speed though will get 25 on the same cycle.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Your mileage is what it is. Each drive,driver,vehicle,etc., is unique and your results will vary.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    edited September 2010
    It's bound to be the current fuel blends. I've noticed similar decreases in mpg in both our 09 Civic and (don't laugh) our 08 HHR 2.4. In addition I have found that using the A/C decreases mpg to a greater percentage in the HHR vs the Civic. But the A/C in the HHR handles HOT days better than the Civic..

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

P. S. For example. If I make a lot of short city runs and spend alot of time in drive thrus,I can get as low as 16 in my 02 V6 Accord. If my city driving has more expressway mix,I can get 19-20 city mpg. Just different driving routes.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Your car is what it is, after 3M miles whatever gas mileage your getting is all your going to get. When people start trying to stretch the mileage by different tires, gas cleaners, special vodoo oil changes,et. forget it because when you do the math the numbers will always come up the same
  • imscfimscf Member Posts: 34
    If you wanted better mileage, you should've bought a 4 cynlinder. Never cease to amaze me why people who purchage a 6 complain about poor mileage.
    I only saw the last few messages here, but I've never seen blufz do anything except praise his torquey (relative to I4) V6. They tow their small boat with it.