Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Lol. Not complaining,just reporting. I prefer the V6 to the four,smoother,quieter,etc.
    Lol. Hi,Grad. Hope you are well. Sorry, to hear about your Honda. Guess you got a bad one. I've been lucky,my '02 is still running well at 109k. I've test driven later Accord models and noticed they seem to use slightly lower quality materials than my '02. I plan to keep this one as long as possible,as I don't want to enter the New Car Lottery until absolutely necessary.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I had a good run with it, loved how it drove, but it wasn't the stellar vehicle my '96 has been.

On topic, I have a 52 mile commute daily (38 of that is interstate, the other 14 is 45 MPH highway) and average 30-31 mpg in my '96 Accord LX with the 4-speed automatic. I keep my interstate speed within 5 mph of the limit (60) and travel before rush hour, 6:30-3:30. My Sonata V6 gets the same mileage on the same commute, but I'm still pleased with my old Honda!
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    Is it not amazing how fuel efficiency just keep on improving? Your much more powerful late model V6 Sonata showing the same gas mileage as the grossly underpowered (in today's terms) 96 Accord I4 - what an engineering achievement! What a pleasure to drive the current vehicles, almost irrespective of make and model. Incidentally, I have driven our 08 LX-P Accord for 620 miles on one tank of gas (filled till overflow) on interstate roads for a gas mileage of just over 32 mpg. That is pretty similar to figures for our 04 EX-V6, such similarity being explicable in terms of the weight difference between the two cars.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    edited October 2010
    The '96 Accord is about 2800 lbs and 140 hp--comparable to a 2010 Elantra, and better than the 2011 Cruze--so it's hardly "grossly underpowered." But you'll notice that in today's terms it's a compact car (hence the Elantra and Cruze comparisons).

And yes, you're right, it is amazing that a modern midsize (borderline full-size) Sonata with 50% more horsepower and 500 lbs more "road-hugging weight" can match the economy of the compact '96 Accord.

You want "grossly underpowered"? I had an '82 Accord LX hatchback, 2300 lbs, 72 hp, three-speed automatic. Averaged 22 mpg in town and 28 on the interstate. Saw 30 mpg once--drafting a Mercedes diesel at 50 mph. Very similar mpg to my current '02 Accord 3.0 V6, 3300 lbs, 200 hp, four-speed automatic.
    Bingo: the '96 Accord is eerily similar in size to my dad's 07 Civic Sedan. The Accord has more torque but the Civic has the better passing power (and an extra transmission gear helps that in a big way).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Just finished my longest tank in my 07 Accord I4 SE MT.

667 miles 16.2 gallons just over 41 mpg (Scangauge showed 41.7 mpg). 11 days of driving - 3 days of highway and the rest was all in town. Drove 100 miles after the fuel light came on - still had a gallon left in the tank, but I don't want to push it any further. I think 700 miles is certainly doable - just need a long enough trip so it is all highway.

Stats to date.

10 tank average 39.1 mpg
    20 tank average 38.4 mpg
    50 tank average 35.9 mpg
    Lifetime average 34.7 mpg

Gotta get the 10 tank over 40 before it gets too cold.
    Dudleyr, I am amazed at these fuel consumption figures. At what speeds do you drive on, say, an Interstate with a 70 mph speed limit? This is so much better than the approximately 32 mpg observed with our 2008 LXP even with exclusive Interstate driving at 4-6 mph above the speed limit.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    daneel... you will never get dudley's mileage in your 08. He has the previous generation. His is also a manual transmission and he uses some masterful gas saving driving techniques.

I get great mileage in my 06 EX-L w/navi I4 manual but I've only been over 40 mpg twice and that was mostly all freeway (although it included mountain passes.) Still never had a tank below 28 after 87k miles though. I used to consistently get in the mid-30s when I had a long commute. Now there are more short trips so I'm down to low 30s around town.

Dudley is the master though. :)
    daneel - while you go 4-6 mph over the speed limit I often go 4-6 mph under. That 10 mph makes a huge difference in mpg. In SD our speed limit is 75 so I rarely go over 70 on the interstate and I usually avoid the interstates when traveling within the state. On my most recent tanks I have had a lot of travel to more rural locations in the state with much lower speed limits and spent a lot of time going about 60 mph. I always used to go the speed limit in my Integra (or faster) but when I realized the speedo read about 4-5 mph too high in the Integra (once I got my gps) and that the Accord was spot on, it was not much of a leap to go slower knowing that I had been going much slower than I thought in my previous car.

Some of the things that I do to help mpg. No magic bullet, just lots of little things that add up. 40 psi tires, 0w-20 synthetic oil, a well broken in vehicle, tires are well worn (new tires get the worst mpg). I anticipate stops/ conserve energy, avoid short trips (cold engines get horrible mpg). Coast whenever you can, take routs with fewer stops. Park so you don't have to back up, try not to warm up the car - just drive off (when it is -20 out I let the car get warm). The stick shift helps immensely as it allows much greater control of the engine.

The most important thing is speed. You get the best mpg at the slowest speed you go in your tallest gear. I could probably get 70 mpg if I had a perfectly level road and I drove 30 mph in 5th gear, but who wants to do that. I do sometimes go 55 mph if I am not in a hurry and it is a nice day - especially if I am just on a trip for work. It helps that I learned to drive when the national speed limit was 55 even on Interstates, so driving 55 on a rural two lane road with no shoulders does not seem terribly slow.

Another huge factor is weather, but it is not under your control. Wind and temp are big factors. When taking a long trip I actually look at the winds and sometimes modify my route to avoid head winds if I can. In other words if I have to go north east and there is a wind from the east I will go north first if the wind will die down later, but go east first if the wind will get stronger later.

The Scangauge really helps show how all of these things change your mpg.

Tallman - you're too kind. I will concede master status to Wayne Gerdes. He went a bit further than me and turned the engine off every time he coasted (a little dangerous for me). I think he used to average over 50 mpg around town in an Accord - he used to post on here before he started his own web site. Google him for some interesting mpg reading.
    Dudleyr, thank you for the useful hints and tips to improve a vehicle's gas mileage. I am doing several of the issues that you mentioned. However, when taking long road trips of say 800 miles one way, I am almost always pushed for time, thus the 4-6 mph above speed limit is important. Although I upped tire inflation to 36 psi front and 34 rear, does 40 psi front and rear not lead to a much rougher and noisier ride and also additional strain on the car's chassis? Also I am not using synthetic oil, but ordinary Castrol 0w-20.
    Getting back to Interstate driving: I find it utterly frustrating that so many drivers are blocking the left lane by going happily at 5-10 mph below the speed limit, usually chattering on their cell phones. The interesting thing is that they apparently do not see the signs at regular intervals - Slower traffic, Keep right!
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    I recently bought 2010 LX-P. My first tank with 10% highway and remaining city, i got around 23MPG. My second tank with 100% city driving, i got around 22 MPG. All the gas stations contains 10% ethanol in my area. All my city driving is within 4 miles radius i.e., office, spouse office, kid daycare, kid school and grocery stores. Am i doing ok with my MPG.
    You're meeting the EPA estimates for mileage on your car, so I'd say yes. That's very good for such short distances!
    Thanks for the update.
    Your drive dictates your mpg. It is what it is. Heck,if I go thru enough drive thrus,I can get the mpg down to 16.
    Is 2011 I4 give better MPG compared to 2010 in similar city driving conditions?
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Yes, at least the EPA ratings are up to 23 city 34 hwy with a combined 27 mpg's. 2010 is 21-31 combined of 25. Real world should be close.
    Had a freeway only run and got 30 mpg for the first time in my 02 Accord V6.....and that's with ethanol! Most of my driving is city so I usually get much less. It's the tires. Recently got some Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread Tourings and noticed the mileage increase. Guess I got a good set. I noticed that only 1 of the four tires needed a balance weight and the weight was tiny.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    edited November 2010
    ...the J30 series on the Interstate is a star performer IMHO.........

With the high final drive (3.29) plus 5th/6th being overdrives (6th is .77), my J30a4 6M gets in the high 30's on I-5. (On I-10 in the flat desert of AZ, Gila Bend west past Yuma, I calc'd over 40..............twice). Not often but possible.

Great engineering,

ez....
  • skibikesoccerskibikesoccer Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    I have a 2005 exl 4cyl L5AT with ODO at 32,000 miles and am frustrated at the fuel use. I am not hypermiler but I do monitor fuel economy regulary on all vehicles i have owned. My best tank of fuel city driving [30 miles return commute before rush hour takes < 1 hour] is 19.7mpg and last trip out of town [warm car no stops] 23.2mpg. I have been driving car for 6 months trying to get better fuel economy and am findng it impossible [i have not yet left a/c off for entier tank]. I drive 51psi tires at around 44 psi, avoid stopping and try to keep trans locked up [but this car it is nearly impossible]. My mileage on previous cars/trucks has always been able to achieve projected ratings or better [with a/c on] so I am surprised at this poor economy. I just took it to the dealership for an inspection and they said everything is operating and no codes are being set. I am concerned that there is a trans problem as it is nearly impossible to keep the trans torque converter locked without slipping at speeds below 45mph. I realize driving style makes a difference but i can get better than 16mpg hwy in my 4x4 suburban 5.7liter L4AT suv and i can get a lot worse. I recieved similar economy to the accord in my 1991 lumina 3.1 V6 L4AT and i drove it like it was stolen up to 228,000 miles. Are there any obvious flaws in these Accord cars to look for, the honda techincians could only say try a new air filter?
    Sticking brakes? Tune up? Fuel filter?
  • tgozdalski1tgozdalski1 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2011
    My mpg was 33 MPG 90% hwy using cruise most of the time at 68MPH. My second tank about 75% hwy 25 % city with light traffic returned 32 MPG. MPG based on manual calculation dividing miles driven by number of gallons filled till first click. Used 2007 accord lx certified standard transmission purchased week ago for 14,100 OTD with 34,500 on odometer. I like the car a lot. My old 2000 accord lx manual tranny, 250,000 miles right now, returned about 2 miles less on average
  • skibikesoccerskibikesoccer Member Posts: 2
    I had the car in for service Jan 14 at dealer: trans fluid change, engine oil change, brakes replaced but they had 30% life left so not sticking and air filter. They also checked the computer for codes and said car in operating within specifications. I just did the last tank use in the city [bit more traffic than usual] on one trip and got 18 mpg. I talked to a honda performance modification guy and he said that the o2 sensor may need changing after 5 years. Also said the oem sensors are limited range and may affect fuel use.
    He said he would scan my car for $65 to see how the o2 sensor is performing; I might do this, but want honda to pay for it if the sensor is an issue. Also, i just ordered a scanguageII to monitor car parameters while driving to see if i can diagnose it without the big $150/hr of the honda techs. i'll keep you updated. PS: i am surprised that other people are getting over 30mpg with this car... hope to get there.
    Update hopefully will be positive. Same year Accord here (V-6 6M however): CA capital traffic really not too bad - permitting 60/40 mixed driving averaging 26-28 MPG. Freeway 100% really impressive: 36 - 38 most of the time.

IMHO, the GenVII set the bar way up there. Replacement doesn't even paint on my radar.

best, ez...
    You're overreacting. Your mpg is a product of many factors and they are unique to your car,drive route,driving style,etc.,etc.,etc. Your mpg will never be the same as another driver. I can get 30 on the highway and then get 16 driving in the city on back to back tanks. You're never going to recoup the $ you spend trying to "find" something wrong;when there is nothing wrong.
    The scanguage will show you why you are getting bad mpg.

Take the car on the highway once it has been warmed up fully (at least 15 minutes), then reset the scanguage and drive for about 20 miles at 60 mph. Make sure it is a warm day with no wind and you are on a level road. If you still get under 30 mpg something is wrong. I suspect you will get close to 40 mpg, in which case everything is fine.

We can't ever know how your city mpg compares, so it is necessary to check highway mpg. Ideally a full tank at a steady speed would be best, but the scanguage will get you pretty close. Make sure it is calibrated right.

My mpg is usually stellar, but extreme cold has really dropped it this winter. I took a trip that I could get in the high 40's and was in the low 30's. Temp was around zero degrees and that really kills mpg. Snow on the road didn't help either.
  • seajay246seajay246 Member Posts: 1
    I was a regular browser of this forum when I purchased an 06 EX-L I4 m/t coupe back in fall of 07. Great car, never below 30 mpg (dead of Chicago winter) high of 40 mpg and one 600 mile tank. Got rid of the car since the dog barely fit, baby was tough to get into the back seat and wife was not a manual tranny fan. Plus the wife wanted a new CX9.

Fast forward a year later and I miss that car and I think my 03 Mazda 6 4cyl approaching 200K will soon need to be replaced. I really like the size and fuel economy of the 06-07 accords, but wonder what the penalty will be for getting an AT vs the MT. Any estimates as my commute will be the same as what I was doing in the 06 accord? My bro in law states he only gets mid 20s in his 06 exl 4cyl auto, but our driving is a bit different. I currently get 27-31 in the Mazda, but think the 4cyl accord could do better. I drive ~ 550 miles a week and would love to make it a week on a tank, something I regulary did in my old accord.
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    I put 130K miles on a '05 4cyl EX-5AT, pretty much trouble-free. Checked MPG frequently at the pump and hwy trips came in right at 29 (doing 70-72 mph on mostly flat ground), best-ever was 31.5 (all hwy cruise no-AC + strong tailwind). In-town was 22-25 MPG. I credit the high engine rpm for a little less MPG than I expected. GM uses tall gearing to improve hwy MPG.
    That's nothing to sneeze at (but - after filling my tank today - same station, same pump, I calc'd 28.2. This is a 6M V-6.

best, ez
  • ajg71283ajg71283 Member Posts: 11
    Why is it that the range on my 2009 Honda Accord 4 cyl says 0 miles yet when I fill up the tank I only use 17.5 gallons? I thought the Accord had a fuel capacity of 18.5 gallons. Is the range off by that much or am I missing something?
  • guitar4himguitar4him Member Posts: 19
    Several times, I've put more than 19 gallons in mine. (2008 Accord 4cy).

Ken
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516
    keep in mind that the system is designed to have some air space too. So "full" really means up to the safe level. If you keep pumping well after the pump clicks off and you can see gas at the top of the filler neck, you certainly will get more in there!

and quite often cars are intentionally pessimistic, since that is safer than being optimistic!

Me, I still believe you should never let the car go below 1/4 tank. Less chance of picking crap from the bottom, or burning out your full pump.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• yungjames808yungjames808 Member Posts: 4
    Just got back from a road trip, Phoenix > Dallas and only had to fill up once. This is about 1,100 miles, doing speeds of 70-80 mph with 3 adults, 1 child, and a fully loaded trunk. MPG averaged 34.2, highway range is about 600 miles from full tank to warning light.
    edited May 2011
    I reached 7K miles on my 2010 LXP. My mpg is still around 21-22. There is no improvement in the MPG even after break in period with improvement in car performance i.e., it feels light and quick. It still feels slow sometimes from the dead stop. Eager transmission, quick throttle response and precise steering makes it enjoyable once it gets going.
    But I am hoping to get around 24-25 mpg to save some on gas. Kinda disappointed for not to see any improvement with MPG. Any idea if Honda comes up with some software changes to improve MPG similar to what they did for 2011.
    I should have checked 2011 prices when i purchased car instead of listening to dealer tactics to sell 2010 cars. I am sure, i could have got 2011 for similar price.
  • vikashprakashvikashprakash Member Posts: 1
    will you able to tell me what engine # and tranny # you have in your car? I have a 93 accord and would like to add something that gives me more mpg and hp, i commute 29m/day each way.
  • fujisfujis Member Posts: 27
    Hi,
    Could someone tell me how to use trip calculator to get mpg?
    I have a 2011 accord exl.

Thanks.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    The EX-L trip calculator is not a trip computer - you'll have to do the math yourself (unless you have NAV, then you do have a trip computer!):

1) Reset your trip calculator (either Trip A or Trip B) after every fill-up.
    2) At your next fill-up, divide the appropriate Trip reading with the number of gallons you just purchased. It's best to be consistent with your fill-up: top off with just one "click" of the pump, use the same pump each time if at all possible.
    3) Go to step 1.
  • fujisfujis Member Posts: 27
    Thanks.
    That's what I did before. My 07 Accord coupe always got above 30mpg. 02 Accord got 25mpg. Let's see what new 2011 Accord get.
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    R/T Grand Junction, CO to Las Vegas, NV with A/C on about 1/2 the time (not in the mornings). Mostly freeway driving with speeds between 70-80 mph. Lots of uphill & downhill, and some slow traffic/construction to contend with. Minimal city driving when we were in LV.

Gas mileage ranged from 27.X to 29.X mpg. Not bad but not great, IMHO.
  • fnc119fnc119 Member Posts: 12
    My 2010 EX Automatic has 27,500 and I just got 32mpg on a trip from SE PA to SE ME avg 70-75mph. Fully loaded trunk with 2 adults. My wife uses the car in a mix of highway and city 40/60 and averages 25.5-27mpg. Son and two friends claim about the same, they have EX-Ls. My car has had all regular maintence and oil is changed around 20%. I would say something to the service manager about it,.
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    My 2011 Accord EX-L 4-cyl has almost 3000 miles on it now and I'm averaging 30.6 mpg. My driving consists primarily of my 70 mile commute to work--65% highway, 25% rural roads and 10% city driving. Overall I'm very satisfied with my Accord.
  • jonahdogjonahdog Member Posts: 28
    Just returned from trip (knoxville TN to Bangor Maine) in our 2007 MT 4cyl Accord. Drove speed limit or traffic as conditions warranted. Best tank was 37mpg. Several were 36.5, 35.5, 35 mpg. Worst was 32.5 when we fought winds from hurricane Irene and were in slight hurry to get out of her way! After winds subsided the mpg increased back to 35. Very pleased with the trip.
    .....north to Maine on the right coast.

.....north to Seattle, WA on the left coast.

Thus the fuel efficient Gen7 Accord saga continues.........

............. 1600 miles round trip - on about 45 gallons of 87.

The numbers look like this: 1605.6 miles on 45.72 gallons.

For those of us who recall Statistics 101: Mean - 35.12, Mode - 36.25, Median - 36.24, Range 31.3 - 37.0.

For all: the 7th Gen 6M set the bar way up there (MHO). Where do we go from here?

ez
  • thommy135thommy135 Member Posts: 4
  • thommy135thommy135 Member Posts: 4
    Went from Providence RI to Saratoga NY. with my 2010 Accord EX. I averaged 33.5 mpg on the trip. City driving I get about 28.0 mpg! I'm happy with the results considering how big this Accord is !
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    I recently took a road trip from San Antonio, TX to Tampa FL in my 2011 Honda Accord EX-L 4cyl. My car was loaded with approximately 500 pounds (people and luggage).

Total miles driven 1188; consumed 35.99 gallons of fuel--averaged 33 mpg.

I keep the cruise control set at 70-75 for most of the trip. My best tank of gas was 37.1 mpg during a run between Houston, TX and the far east side of Louisiana. Overall I was very pleased with the mileage I achieved during this trip.
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    We have Two Accords:

2004 Accord V6 EX with Nav/Automatic: Best MPG on a trip from Stroudsburg, PA to Brooklyn, NY via interstate 80 East. Cruise control set to posted speed limits (50, 55 and 65MPH). 75F outside temperatures, no A/C or heat on. Myself in vehicle, (140 LBS) no junk in trunk, except for spare and jack, etc. 91 or higher octane used from day one, Fully synt. oil and Honda oil filter. Obtained 38.8 MPG, could have gotten better but reached my destination. (BTW we now have 27K miles on the ODO as of today). Yes we still have the original tires, brakes and most of the other fluids from day one, except for the motor oil. We constantly get over 35MPG on other HWY trips.

2008 Accord LX-P Automatic: This is our main commuter from Stroudsburg, PA to Queens, NY daily. Use 87 Octane and full synt. oil. Average MPG 32 MPG. Currenly have 91K on the ODO. Runs like a V6 says our mechanic.

Very pleased with the value that Honda has brought to consumers. Fun and Safe vehicles to own. Very economical to own.
  • drive_forddrive_ford Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 four cylinder honda accord 5sp auto with about 180,000 km or about 112,000 miles with all original spark plugs and no tune-up has been done yet. In the winter months, here in Toronto Canada(cold and snowy), I get about 19mpg city and about 30mpg highway at speed of 65-70mph. I would like to know if I change the air filter(replaced previous one a year ago) and spark plugs with NGK Iridium Plugs, how much will my mpg increase? My city mpg seems low and even in the summer months, I barely get 22mpg. I would like to know if changing the plugs will make a difference.

Secondly, I do not believe for one bit those people in this forum that are achieving over 35mpg. Baloney. They are probably not filling their gas tank fully. What I mean is when you fill your tank, fill it up until you see the gas and your tank is completely full, drive, record the km or miles driven, and fill your tank up to the top completely again. I can assure you that are stating the incredible gas mileage, that when the pumps shuts off, I can pour 2 gallons more until the tank is completely full.

On the highway, if you have a light load, with summer driving conditions, flat land, driving at 60-65mph(100-105kmph) you can get at the max 34 mpg and that is with the 4 cylinder model UNDER IDEAL DRIVING CONDITIONS.
  • drive_forddrive_ford Member Posts: 9
    thats baloney. In order to get that kind of mpg, you would need to drive 90% or more freeway miles.
    Since my word is baloney, it won't do much good to comment on the spark plugs. Good luck.

34.8 mpg lifetime mpg and dozens of tanks over 40 mpg. 10 consecutive tank rolling average once hit 39.8 mpg.