Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• okaniokani Posts: 20
    that was prev models, my 09 v6 is 2300 at 60 mph, you can google it. in dealership mechanic said that this is normal for that car.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    2250 is correct. The manual transmission is geared more for performance not economy. that is why it is so quick. 6.6 seconds to 60 for the 4 cylinder.

6 speeds does not always mean super tall gearing a Miata is over 3,000 rpm at 60 in 6th gear.

I wish 6th gear was taller, but it is better than 5th was on my '07. Fortunately economy isn't only rpm but also throttle and it does not take much throttle at lower speeds. Now for 75 mph cruising I would much prefer to have taller gearing as the revs start to get a little high.
    edited March 2013
    Finally have 1,000 miles on the '13 EX I4 6MT. Did the 18 mile loop test again. Temp was finally up to about 65 today and it made a big difference. 48.6 mpg! Keep in mind the speed limit is 55 with some in town at 30-35. I am driving carefully and anticipating lights. Not quite full on hypermiling (I don't shut the engine off when I coast).

I am now very confident that this is the most fuel efficient Accord ever - and the fastest 4 cylinder Accord. I think a 2 mpg improvement over the '07 is doable.

The thing that blows me away is the combination of power and efficiency. I remember when in 1984 the Corvette finally got some of it's back its mojo after a half dozen years of being slow (7-9 seconds) and did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. The 6MT Accord is just as fast. At the same time my father had a 1983 Nissan Sentra that would get in the high 40's for highway mileage (at 55 mph national speed limit), and the Accord is just as efficient.

I wonder if 30 more years will have a car as fast as the current Vette and as efficient as a Prius - probably.
  • Just a little over 2,000 miles on the car, and I purchased it about a month and a half ago.

My driving consists of 60% city and 40% highway.

Best tank to date...29.1 MPG.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 641
    Hi.... can any owner of a 2013 4 cylinder automatic share how many miles they go after filling the gas tank before the low fuel light comes on (and whether they do mostly highway, city, or mixed driving). Thanks.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Finally have 1,000 miles on the '13 EX I4 6MT. Did the 18 mile loop test again. Temp was finally up to about 65 today and it made a big difference. 48.6 mpg! Keep in mind the speed limit is 55 with some in town at 30-35. I am driving carefully and anticipating lights. Not quite full on hypermiling (I don't shut the engine off when I coast).

Encouraging to hear the great numbers. Very true about low highway speeds making most any car a rock star in MPGs; my V6 sedan (not an Accord) is rated 19/29 with 249hp, but at 50 miles an hour, it will easily pull 40 MPG. At 70 miles an hour, more like 32 MPG.
  • tatseatatsea Posts: 9
    I am interested in buying a 2013 Accord EXL with CVT transmission. For those who have purchased a 4 cylinder CVT model, can you please share your experience with mpg for city and highway? Thank you in advance for your post.
  • mr_numbmr_numb Posts: 7
    edited April 2013
    Just shy of 2,000 miles on the clock and here's what I'm getting with my Accord Sport (4 cyl, 6MT):

Average trip: 20 miles, 45/55 MPH zones with a quite a few lights
    MPG per trip: 30/31 (33/34 ECON)
    Average MPG per tank: 31/32

Don't do too much highway driving (~70 MPH), but I did get about 35 MPG last time I took a 60 mile interstate trip.

From what I can gather the on-board computer seems pretty accurate. Loving the manual transmission too.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 883
    I have the EX-L (automatic) but too new to really know how it will be. On a recent short highway trip, the trip register said 36 mpg. Around town it ranges from 23 (my tiny 3 mile commute, so no getting up to speed) to over 30 running errands around. Overall on this tank, 27 (mostly around town with the one trip). My many short trips really keep the mileage lower. We are taking a longer highway trip next week and I am interested to see on how it does then.
  • zoom08zoom08 NYCPosts: 66
    2013 lx with cvt automatic trannsmition 24.4 mpg
    i own the car for about 4 weeks now
    Just took the Accord EX-L CVT on a longer highway trip -- got 38 mpg on the highway, 35 mpg for the overall trip.
    2013 lx with cvt automatic trannsmition 24.4 mpg
    i own the car for about 4 weeks now

What kind of driving are you doing? I'm assuming short trips / city driving with such low numbers.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    I think the both of you are looking at the wrong gauge, make sure your not looking at the temp gauge because this car will not meet these numbers not in the city but maybe on a HWY with the cruise control set at 60. No way I travel to work in my 2013 2.7 miles 18 to 20 MPG some HWY and more city, no way will I ever see 27mpg city as they state impossible and I would like for somebody to show me because I would bet my house against it
    In 2.7 miles your car is never warmed up. Your car can use up to twice as much fuel when it is cold.

What mpg did you get on the same trip in your previous car?
    I have a very short commute, looks like around 24 mpg for that, but on longer trips around town it gets up to 30. Add in one short highway trip of over 33 or 34 mpg, and I got 26 mpg overall. I get 24 mpg almost entirely around town in my '04 Vibe, so that doesn't seem too odd to me. But I will have a better idea as I drive it longer.
    My first 2008 Accord 14/17 hwy 26 on the same trip winter then summer 2.7 mpg. 2010 Honda CRV AWD awesome 16 to 18 hwy topped out at 37mpg no complaints. 2013 yes it's only a month old and it went from 15 to an average of 17/21 now the more you stop of course it goes down hwy 29 /30 off the top. I have a two car heated garage and I park in a garage at work mid level. The mileage gets worse in the winter because they add more ethanol to the winter blend which is a mistake.
    I have found over the years and I have been leasing cars every 3 years is that what you get at the beginning is what you will end up with in gas mileage. That's just my opinion.
    I think the both of you are looking at the wrong gauge, make sure your not looking at the temp gauge

You don't look at a gauge or a computer for your mileage. You simply need an odometer, and to fill your tank fully. For example, drive 400 miles, fill with 12 gallons, and divide 12 into 400. You've gotten 33.33mpg.

That's how I calculate mileage.

this car will not meet these numbers not in the city but maybe on a HWY with the cruise control set at 60. No way I travel to work in my 2013 2.7 miles 18 to 20 MPG some HWY and more city, no way will I ever see 27mpg city as they state impossible and I would like for somebody to show me because I would bet my house against it

As a fellow forum poster pointed out, you're not ever getting your car warmed up; short trips mean oil is thicker (cold), the car is running richer (trying to GET to the normal operating temperature), idle is higher (1500RPM vs 800RPM in my old 2006 Accord) etc.

I recall in high school my 1996 Accord averaged 19mpg. I lived less than 2 miles from my school (obviously this was under the EPA rating for city, much less the highway). However, 8 years later, when I was commuting 100 miles a day in the car, I was averaging above the EPA highway rating (in the 31-33mpg range) at 70 mph. Short trips and stop and go are terrible for mileage. Your car does best at long, smooth intervals.
    You missed part of my message my two car garage is heated and I work at a Hosp. that has a garage. All the things you say are more than right however that's not what there selling out there
    Unless your garage is heated to well over 200 degrees your car is still cold.
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Posts: 51
    I have a 2013 Accord V6 and I'm averaging 19 to 22 MPG with 95% City driving in Queens County, NY