Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano vs Toyota Highlander vs Subaru B9 Tribeca vs Honda Pilot

Comments

• foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    The scroll button on MDX is a turning knob. You can use it to scroll around the map smoothly just like you do with the scroll button on your PC mouse. A little bit easier to use than the tap method, IMO.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That would be neat.

How big is the screen, though? I'm sure there are pros and cons.

-juice
    Screen is about the same size although I didn't exactly measure them.
  • nikol0010nikol0010 Member Posts: 2
    ">Okay I test drove the Murano today and the Highlander, and it's hands down the highlander. In the Murano I felt clastrophobic and the back side mirror is practically nonexistent. The seats in the Highlander limited are very comfortable which is important as well. The 2005 highlander is very stylish too. It's a very classy car that seems so much bigger and uncramped.
    Before today I had no idea which one I liked better. I was really considering the Murano because I thought it had a sporty look, but the highlander proved itself!
  • nikol0010nikol0010 Member Posts: 2
    correction....the back side window is nonexistent
  • kflkfl Member Posts: 22
    I have read many comments about all these SUV's and I am totally stumped. I have driven them all, and need some help in deciding. There is something I like about all of them. I put in the ???? because maybe there is something out there that is also great. I am not interested in a Highlander, boring, and gets very pricey. Lexus is much better in my book.

With all the discounts available with Ford, GM and Crysler....is there anything decent out there. The Equinox was 'ok', but has a cheap interior and a rough ride and lots of wind noise.

Need a little guidance....any experts out there...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    You've been objective so far. Time to get subjective.

Which one brought you the biggest smile behind the wheel? Where were you most comfortable? Which one do you miss the most, and remember the most?

They are all competitive products, so go with your gut. You can't go wrong if you pick the one that makes you the happiest, no matter what anyone here might say.

-juice
  • delewisdelewis Member Posts: 10
    Did you ever get the backup sensors installed? If so, ho does it look? Was it something the dealer stocks, or was he going outside to get them?

Thanks,
    Don
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    reposting this from another thread as its also if not more so appropriate here:

I've had my Satin White Pearl 7-pass. limited with Desert Beige Leather B9 Tribeca, with DVD, NAV, puddle lights, cool dbl beige pin stripe to match the interior, and almost every other option including splash guards which I got a few weeks ago so surprised that some dealers still dont have.

I am basically totally happy with it in all regards inlcuding trim and options i picked (the rear audio inputs for mp3 player has been great) as well as rear ac vents I've noticed has really help make the diff in this hot and humid whether we've been having.

My only major complaints right now are having to put in 93 octane guess with prices above $2.50/gallon and the fact that the B9 still doesn't seem to have enough torque especially for off the line and 0-60. Though it has 10 more hp then my previous suv did (Pathfinder) and its usually fast enough for passing etc and maneuvering around, in fact for the most part it is very sporty and fast but just could use more from a stopped position.

Someone said everyone must be drag racing. but in stop and go traffic and neighborhood driving 0-60 and off the line is the most important thing and a few times I've put teh pedal to the floor to merge in somewhere and just didn't seem to be quick enough or have enough torque or power. My pathfinder even had a 3.5l engine, why only the 3.0 in the Beca?

So basically i could use a little faster engine. I wonder if they ever come out with an sti, xt, gt or otherwise turbo version they could replace the engine but i doubt it and you would have to buy the whole new vehicle which is another concern to me being that my vehicle is not leased and was paid in full (for about 1700 over invoice which I'm still pissed about). If they had made this a hybrid which surprisingly some ppl think it is at first just by its design it would have been the perfect suv almost.

Toyota/Lexus is offering hybrid engines that get more speed/power/hp etc then the same car with non hybrid engines and in fact with their lexus models the hybrid powerplants is pretty much going to be just as much if not more for performance enhancement (especially when they get v8 power out of a v6) as it is gas saving. With the Highlander being redesigned for 2007 to look more rounded/modern similiar to the Murano, Tribeca etc I may like the styling then where as I dont at all on the current Highlander.

If something better comes along in as little as 2 to 3 years whether Tribeca with better engine or redesigned Highlander or other hybrid suv then I am worried I wont get my moneys worth on trading in teh Tribeca. But its nice not to have another bill/payment and I imagine if its still that new nad low mileage that it will hold its value especially with all the options and for now it was still the best choice for me for the money.

I hope Subaru can catch up wiht Toyota/Lexus in regard to hybrid/performance though, or I wont be staying with Subaru long having already reluctantly switched from being a Nissan/infinity fan/loyalist. Not to mention Honda/Acura and their few hybrids with more to come as well as acuras superior nav and electronics. I know its tough to compare Subaru to the 3 big Japanese auto makers that dominate (especially toyota) but that is the competition.

Speaking of which while I chose the Tribeca over a Nissan Murano, Infinity FX35, or Acura MDX due mostly just to being newer and having certain ext. styling effects (puddle lights, turn signal on side mirrors) and the fact that i could get more for less price as even the Murano costs more comparibly equipped not to mention B9 has better handling then all except the FX to which it is equal? though i heard FX isn't good in the snow/ice.

Problem is sometimes the Tribeca just looks really low especially from the front and continues to bother me. While i've mentioned before and i noticed that even the Murano sits up on its shocks above its wheels more i wonder why they didn't do this with the Tribeca. CAn the b9 be raised on its shocks a little so there is more space between the wheel and car and raising the height of the B9?

The front hood especially not only starts low and just has a lower height overall, it then slopes downward and comes down so low in the front and bottom bumper its like a low riding sports car almost. This is cool i guess if you going for the super sporty car like looking suv like the FX buti think even the FX is higher off the ground in the front.

Again its weird as the B9 looks diff in diff situations and where and what its parked next to but sometimes especially because of the front it just starts to look too low and un suv like and not very substantial and starts to remind you of a toyota matrix or some other high wagon which ppl already associate subaru with.

I mean just park next to any other even car like SUV like the Murano. You'd have to jump onto the hood of it while the B9's hood starts at its highest point as low as a cars almost and then slopes down even lower. Nothing can be done about the design but to get some more height do you think it can be raised on its shocks a little and would this take away from the handling?
    Funny thing about ppl thinking the front of B9 l ooks like an alpha is that is mostly the grille. The headlights are more like porsche cayenne and no Alpha really has those.

In fact the rear and sides of the B9 look very similiar to a certain Alpha Rome model the 147 (look it up) even though its a hatchback not a suv.

So basically the whole Tribeca front side and rear looks like an Alpha Romeo which is pretty cool in book especially as there is no Alpha Romeo suv

Incidentally Alpha Romeo does have an suv in the works though and they are said to return to selling cars in teh US by 2007
    Ok, I did later realize and read that it was the Saab 9-7x that was going to be a Chevy Trailblazer wiht Saab badge. And that it was a diff model the 9-6x which i htink they changed to the 9-5x that was going to be based on the Subaru B9 Tribeca.

Guess what, latest news on that is they are not basing it on the Tribeca anymore due to some factor about needing to make a diesel engine or something for europe and some stuff.

The Saab 9-5 or 9-6x is going to be based on some Pontiac design.

So the B9 Tribeca is safe as a unique model and thre will be no Saab or any other car for that matter like it. YAy!
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I haven't had them installed yet. The shop that was going to do it said that the sensors need to be installed in the top half of the bumper, Mine is Blue.

I planned to get the sensors air brushed to match but was told that these sensor should be painted. So I am back to shopping for sensors that can be paint or black one that have angled mounts (the sensors need to be parallel to the ground)so they can be installed on the lower part of bumper.
    This was their SUV concept, next to a Tribeca. A lot of similarity there.

-juice
  • ctguyctguy Member Posts: 1
    I live in CT & am planning to buy a Murano SL with the touring package as well as a 10 inch DVD. The best deal I got on this is 35,500 out the door. Is this a good deal? Please let me know. Also wanted to make sure if the speakers in a SL are also Bose or just the CD player is Bose? Please lemme know asap....Thx !!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Nissan Murano: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for deals. For general Murano info, try the Nissan Murano discussion.

Steve, Host
  • amosbamosb Member Posts: 12
    Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie here but have been looking very intensely at the Suv's mentioned so far in this Forum. Is it just me or is the back seat leg room of the Tribeca tight. I'm six feet tall so I set the front seat to my position, then I went into the back seat and I had a real hard time getting my legs inside.

Help me please with the Navigation stuff. Are all factory GPS DVD assisted? I thought there was a chip holding this info... I think I just read that Honda GPS is also DVD assisted (like Murano).

Besides styling is there a real difference between the attributes of the Pilot and Murano?

Thank you,

Amos
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    If you are refering to the second row seat as the back seat. It is likely that it was not back all the way. In order to do so you need to use two hands and pull an orange lever out and then pull up on the front bar and then push the seat back all the way. I'm 6' 6" and fit in the back just fine.

The B9 NAV is DVD assisted and works just fine. Take a look at the B9 forum and you will see many posts about the Factory NAV with lots of opinions. In the end most have been very happy with the NAV including myself.
    That's gotta be aftermarket. While that's not necessarily bad, just keep in mind the warranty will be handled by the dealer/installer, not by Nissan.

I think their factory DVD is just 7".

Amos: you probably missed the 2nd row seat release - the seat goes back another 4". Let me see if I can find a good pic...

Don't feel bad, even Motorweek missed this. I watched their review on TV and they complained about the same thing. When you look, you see that there was a large gap to the 3rd row.

Hit that release button, and the 2nd row goes all the way back and actually touches the 3rd row. 4" more makes a big difference.

Subaru's NAV is also DVD-based, you get two, one for each coast, both are pre-loaded with all the maps you'd need.

Found a pic - the right side is all the way back after you hit the release. Note how much more room you would have in row 2.

-juice
  • tigger5753tigger5753 Member Posts: 43
    Most NAV systems are now DVD based. There are a few remaining that are CD based (Toureg).

Not sure what you are asking about on this: Besides styling is there a real difference between the attributes of the Pilot and Murano?

Murano has a CVT transmission (belt driven, infinite # of gear ratios), HID lamps, Power adjustable pedals, 18" wheels - some of the options that the Pilot does not have.
    DVD based NAV unit is the best because it can hold much more detailed data than other formats (CD or flash media). Map data alone probably don't require a lot of storage space but Point Of Interest data that lists gas stations, restaurants, shopping centers etc. can really eat up storage space.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    The "boxy" Pilot has a 3rd row and is, in general, larger than Murano. Pilot has about 10% more total cargo space, weighs 450lbs more, and is longer, wider and taller.

This also makes Murano (and Tribeca) somewhat smaller, sleeker, quicker (maybe) and more agile. That's where you need to decide which suits you best.

Here's a review of Tribeca from Car and Driver magazine.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I think the Ford Freestyle would fit into this category of vehicles. Interior space is great, gas mileage good, price good (I paid $25K) and anything you hear about an underpowered engine take with a grain of salt. Granted when you step off the gas there's not the immediate jolt forward, but the CVT transmission has plenty of power for hills, passing, etc, and in reality the 0-60 time is pretty quick for this type of vehicle. Anyway, just another option.
    Thank you everyone for your help. I took the Tribeca ltd. and the Murano SL AWD for a test drive this morning. Maybe it is just me but the Tribeca felt like a more cushioned ride. Thank you for telling me about the sliding back seat ... plenty of room when its slid back.

My complaints so far with the Tribeca: 1) I am interested in getting Nav in the five seater an was told this is not an option ... Is that true? I'm told it is only available in the 7 Seater. 2) The look of the exterrior ... is it just me or is the nose of the car weird looking?

Amos

I'll admit the larger tires on both the Murano and Tribeca give me more comfort for inclement weather.

Amos
    I am interested in getting Nav in the five seater an was told this is not an option ... Is that true?

Yup! Now as Juice would say and has said over and over in the B9 forum... the money spent for the 7 Passenger is well worth it in the other features that you get besides the seat. I have the 7 and will never use the 3rd row but love the rear air vents that come with that vehicle.

As to the looks of the front end... again take a look at the last few pages of the B9 forum and read the discussion about style and design. It all boils down to personal taste. I happen to love the looks of this vehicle and feel it to be a progressive design. Is it different than 90% of what's out there? Yup. Thus the reason I like it!

I would agree the Beca is more comfortable ride but still gives you a tight driving experience. Keep in mind Subaru's excellence in engineering when making your decision. The transverse mounted boxer engine allows for a lower center of gravity which greatly enhances the driving experience.

Both good choices so good luck in your decision.
    Transverse mounted engine???????????

Subies do not have transverse mounted engines - they are conventionally mounted and that is reason why it can say it has a symmetrical all wheel drive system.

The Boxer engine has horizontally opposed cylinders like Porsche.
  • charles12charles12 Member Posts: 79
    Notice that people compare highland to a few SUVs but nobody did comparison to MDX. The base model of MDX now costs only $32,400 or so, which is about the same price as Highland limited.

It seems to me that MDX has more stardard features than highland.

Was wondering why people buying Highland instead of MDX.

Your opinion??
    Did I say that? :blush: What an idot! I really do need a nap... up way late last night... I was thinking horizontally opposed cylinders and where I came up with transverse mounted engine I have no idea! My bad... so sorry. :blush:
    What time should I wake you? :)
  • charles12charles12 Member Posts: 79
    Bob,

You might want to go to buy experience in MDX dissucssion. For the past few month to 09/06/2005. You can ask the dealer to give the $1,500 marketing money to you.

Here it is $33212 invoice + $570 desitination - $1500 = $32311.

A lot of people get this price for the MDX base model.
    Okay, I went to bed at 10:00PM awoke at 8:30AM with my wake up call from subienewbie2 and I think I'm good to go. Should I now tell him about the wonderful turbo charged engine the beca comes with? :) Kidding folks! Just kidding!
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i tell ya, that extended trifecta ( extra foot or so ) and a xt version of the auto would make it a killer buy.
    From your lips to God's ears. If only it were so. :)
    Yup, get the 7 seater because you'll recover the money at resale time, plus you get rear A/C and a couple of other features. And of course the NAV option.

amos: glad you found that release lever.

The engine layout on all Subies sold in the US is longitudinal, i.e. north-south. Porsche and BMW tend to prefer this layout as well.

By far most cars/trucks have transverse (east-west) layouts.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    From The Car Connection, here's a spy photo showing the new fascia for the 2006 Pilot. Sounds like not a whole lot of other changes.
    I wonder what'll change inside.

Got a chance to sample one recently and I noted the NAV screen was on the small side, about 5" IIRC.

Looks like the front got a little bit of Ridgeline influence.

-juice
    Please help me here. When I was getting an "education" from a GMC salesman on the DVD Nav. I was told that I could not play a CD while using the Nav System ... uses the same input.

Question: Is this true of all DVD Nav systems? If I purchase the Pilot, can I play a CD at the same time I'm using the Navigation System?

Thanks,

Amos ">
    Not true on most factory Nav I looked at. If the Nav is an afterthought on GMC, that might be the case. Factory Nav units are usually tightly integrated so that it won't restrict any other car functions like radio and cd playing.
    Subaru's system has a DVD-based NAV under the driver's seat. The 6CD changer in the dash was seperate.

-juice
    Correct as is the DVD player overhead. You can use both in the B9 as they are seperate from each other.
    The kids watched a DVD with wireless headphones while we listened to our own music with an occasional audio interruption from the NAV offering directions. Nice.

-juice
  • philhedmundsphilhedmunds Member Posts: 14
    After reading through this whole thread, I want to go out and order a Tribeca immediately.

I test drove a Tribeca last weekend and was planning to test drive an Acura MDX soon, so I came here looking for impressions from others who had test driven the Pilot/MDX versus the Tribeca. The words I see all too often in describing Pilot/MDX test drives here are "truck like" and "too big", which is exactly what I feared (or possibly hoped? ;) ).

With two kids, we really don't need anything huge, it would just be nice to have a couple extra seats every once in a while. I don't want to pay for that occasional convenience every day by having my wife driving something too big and bulky. The Tribeca seems to be the perfect size for us, it's stylish enough, not priced out of our budget and handles decently (although I wouldn't mind a slightly sportier suspension setup).

BTW, I test drove a Highlander a couple years ago and pretty much eliminated it due to a too small third row and floaty handling.

We're still not planning on actually buying anything before early 2006, but after reading this thread I'm ready to go place an order for a B9 now. Who cares if my wife hasn't even sat in one yet? Oh well, I guess I'll have to go through the motions and bide my time for a few months...
    They have a 24 hour test drive now, so you can go, pick one up, drive it home and show the wife. If she's thrilled, buy it. If not, return it and say no thanks.

BTW, I'm hearing that with the new SAE methods of measuring HP will downrate the MDX's power ratings.

SAE is no longer allowing special oils and the lack of accessories connected to the engine. Basically they are saying you can't cheat any more.

-juice
  • philhedmundsphilhedmunds Member Posts: 14
    We plan on doing the 24 hour test drive with the Tribeca, but I wanted to test drive and crawl around the MDX myself first to see if it obviously fit our needs better (so that I'll at least seem impartial to my wife).

I understand you have to fill out a credit application for the 24 hour test drive and it will be somewhat of a hassle to get it arranged (swapping out the child seats and everything), and of course, I have to pick a day when my wife is in a good mood so that she'll get a favorable impression of the Tribeca. :)
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    I have been told that crdit checks from auto dealers in a 30 day window do not negatively affect your rating or score.
  • oldjayhawkoldjayhawk Member Posts: 36
    How big are your kids? I wonder whether a 5-ft kid can sit on the third row of the Tribeca relatively comfortably?
    I know Tribeca uses premium gas. Has anyone tried putting in regular? Would it cause rough idling? As you can see, I am a even cheaper skate like Juice.
    Does Fitzmall in Gaithersburg offer 24-hour test drive on Tribeca? Does the Gaithersburg store have a better service department than that of the White Flint store?
    Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Premium Gas: Premium is recommended but not required. You can use regular but probably will loss some horsepower to an already underpowered engine.

3rd row seat: 5-ft kid should be no problem for short trip. Long trip is a different story.

24-hour test driver and service: Not all Subaru Dealers participating in 24-hour test drive. You can go to Subaru.com to find out which dealers near you participate. As for service department, you can bring your car to any dealership for service. There is no need to go back to where you purchased. Find the best deal from whatever dealer you can and bring the car for service to any dealership you like. FYI, Fitzmall is not the cheapest place to buy Subaru but less hassle. Many dealers in the area offer better deals than Fitzmall.
This discussion has been closed.