Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kvaillancourtkvaillancourt Member Posts: 16
    I hope not to bore you folks regarding my quest to have a great music experience, but I had a revelation today. With the cooperation with my Lexus dealer and the infiniti dealer we had a M45 and Lexus GS 460 side by side to listen to one cd of my choice. Do not laugh, but I choose Michael Jackson greatest hits. Both sounded good, but finally through the wisdom of my wife we realized what was "wrong" with the Bose. Per my wife of 20 years who loves music; "the music sounds like it is in a box with the lid on". After listening to 10 songs in both cars she is right. I was able to adjust the Mark Leveinson's midrange to make the music come alive. Also, with the Bose I had to adjust the base, treble, and fade to different settings for every song. The Mark Levinson required very little adjustment after the first song. I am actually disappointed; the m45 is a blast and I always feel conected to the road. Sorry Infiniti and Bose, but maybe in 3 years when my lease expires the sound system will be "better" FOR MY HEARS.
  • nrwaynenrwayne Member Posts: 45
    I have a 2008 M35x after having a 2006 for two years. Both have passenger seats that squeak when making turns. When I had the `06, I brought it in to have the squeak checked, took a ride with a tech, and as you would expect the seat made no noise. Since I spend more time going straight than turning, I let it go. My 2008 does the same thing, but I can't be bothered hoping to have it make noise when I bring it to the dealership. Even so, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if I just have a spooky one.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxic- ons/emotorcons/emo_confused.gif
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    I had a 2006 M35X that went off lease in February. I had the Bose with DVD audio deck and speakers in the seats. The sound quality was so poor I thought I needed a hearing aid and the steering wandered so much I thought I needed a brain scan. The ride was like an oxcart.

I now have an Audi A4 2.0 Premium+, quattro sports package. The Symphony sound system is fabulous and I never heard Audi's top of the line Bang & Olfsoon system. The steering and handling is like a go-cart and the ride allot better than the M. The mileage is 30% better.

Bose is overbranded and over advertised. Any high end audio dealer will laugh if you mention their name.
  • wise_henrywise_henry Member Posts: 2
    Just saw your post. You may have already tired this but deactivate your lane departure system and see if you notice the same problem.
    barryend; you are SOOOOO right regading the Audi. I drove the same model you purchased except with the B&O System. Goodbye Bose. I am actually embarassed that I was considering the M35, it is too much marketing and not enough performance.
  • slownezslownez Member Posts: 1
    Hi y'all...after changing my oil and filter on my '07 M45, I decreased my intervals to 2500 miles since I'm now doing mostly stop and go driving. How do I activate the changes? Is there a re-set procedure that the owner's manual left out? I'm goin' bananas over this!
  • BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    What is an acceptable amount of oil consumption in 3000 miles?
    Thanks BMW
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    The service intervals are in one of the menus...don't remember exactly where. Did you look in your owners manual?
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    Just click on the oil change reminder and it will prompt you to reset - it is right above the place where you adjust the interval. Click Reset and it will clear the mileage to zero... and will remind you in 2500 miles.
    The general accepted standard is less than 1qt per 1000 miles for performance car, but, with modern engines, I would say less than 2 qts for 3000 miles is acceptable.
  • khaug1khaug1 Member Posts: 8
    The comparable model Audi is the A6, not the A4.

We'd pretty much decided on the A6, but our dealer couldn't locate an acceptable car on dealer trade. So we're now driving an Infiniti M35x, which my wife and I both love.

-Karl
  • rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    I know the owners manual does not recommend the use of the lighter for powering things like radar detectors, etc but has anyone had any experience with doing so?
    I just thought I would check before trying it and blowing my car up.
  • osbornkgosbornkg Member Posts: 30
    I see what you mean. The owner’s manual isn’t forth coming with technical information.

Call the dealer and ask the Service rep. what the cig. lighter circuit is rated for. Ten amps, 15 amps or 20 amps? Whatever that amount is, make sure the components you plug into the lighter socket are less then that amount. You should be just fine with a radar detector. The M35/45’s are great to be driven and the detector is helpful to have.

You won't blow the car up - you'll blow a fuse if you plug a component in that draws to much current for that circuit.

Wishing you good luck.
    about blowing it up. The question really is if the fusing/circuitry for the cigarette lighter is different than the fusing/circuitry for the accessory socket and why Infiniti designed it that way if in fact that is the case.
  • mltsurgermltsurger Member Posts: 102
    I found my new M45X with a blown 10 Amp Fuse for the cig lighter. Replaced the mini fuse and now plug my cell phone into the socket. It works fine,no fuse problems and no smoke so far. Is this safe. Thoughts?
    There should be no problem with a cell phone plugged into the socket. Biggest problem is when you answer and talk on your phone while driving. Does your cell phone have Bluetooth? If, so pair it with the Bluetooth in the M45 and you can answer and talk hands free. Good Luck.
  • johnhw7johnhw7 Member Posts: 9
    Recently returned my 2006 M45 sport off lease. It was flawless, one of the best of 10 Infinitis Ive leased/owned since giving1993. Retired now and dont need three cars so didnt replace it but miss it a lot... 2008 QX and G37 coupe are nice for their purpose but miss the M45 on long trips when storage isnt needed. Hope the new one is slightly larger, truck and back seat wise and not out of orbit price wise.
    Yes, the "M" is a very fine car. Our 07, M35 purchased in June of 07 now has 47,000 miles on it. Just a great road car. We feel blessed to travel this great country in such a fine car. No major maint. as yet, other then oil/filter and air filter. Just great. Thanks for your comments - we feel the same.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    Sorry for the 2 month delay. I no longer have the the Infiniti so I don't follw these boards. I deactivated the lane departure warning shortly after I leased the car in 2006. It has no bearing on a mechanical problem. The 2009 A4 with sports package is superb. The Infiniti steered like a boat.
    I have owned a few cars in my years...Prior to my M35X it was Lexus LS 430. I have approx. 10k miles and the "fake" wood on the doors is peeling off in large pieces. I knew the lexus was the same type of product, but it at least made you feel like you had real wood. I love driving this car, but the little stuff that goes wrong does not indicate luxury.
    I have a M45x that I just bought.I thought the wood was real except over the ash tray.So what is real wood and what is fake?
    I am so sorry to be the first to tell you that none of it is real wood. It is a laminate that we paid too much money for. Lexus uses real wood only in their steerling wheel, but their "color design" is manufacured by bonding it into the plastic pieces. Please do not misunderstand, driving this car is FUN..but is really is not a luxury auto. I guess this is why it depreciates so quickly. Sorry...
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    The "fake wood" on my '08 M35 driver's door came apart today. The dealer says the parts are backordered. Apparently Infiniti has a real supplier quality issue with these glued panels. They had no idea when I would get the replacement...they have many waiting for the parts.
    Where is it located and how do you change it!
    The cabin air filter is located behind the glove box. Google "m35 cabin air filter access". It's an easy job to remove the glove box and replace the filter.
    I just installed the latest operating system software 1.2.0 and the previous audio problem with my M35 is fixed 100%. Has anyone else out there checked?
    How did you upgrade the operating system on the car - is that the O/S controlling everything including nav. system on M35/M45? Where did you get the O/S? Mind posting some details on the upgrade process? Very interested.
    Sorry for not being clearer. The software upgrade was on the phone and had nothing to do with the car. This has been an ongoing issue with users of the Palm Pre and Nissan and Infiniti bluetooth systems. It seems to be resolved with the PRE's new software.
    Now it makes sense. You got me excited for a day though. :)
    I've been waiting for the "backordered" replacement for the wood veneer panel on my driver door. This past Friday, my dealer said that they had spoken to infiniti and there was no estimate on when the part would be available. I then called Infiniti customer service and opened a formal complaint. They indicated that I would hear from the regional service rep by end of day Monday.

While I am sympathetic that infiniti has a manufacturing or likely a supplier problem, I should not have to drive a $45,000 car under warranty that is coming apart. At a minimum, Infiniti could tell the dealers how to glue the plastic back on temporariy basis (finding the right glue might not be easy). Even Infiniti corporate customer service agreed that having a part on backorder with no estimate of when it would come in was unacceptable (for what it's worth).

I will post the results here
    Status at end of day Monday...no call.
    Are the panels on the dash and doors the same.Are they real wood as indicated before I bought the car or are they plastic and why do the fall off.I have a M45X.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    As I understand it (who knows for sure), the veneer is real, but it is very thin and is an engineered sandwich of several layers, with only the top one being wood. So far, all of mine is intact.
    it is possible that it's real wood made into a very thin pliable curvable sheet which is then glued on to a backing/mounting piece. The glue appears to not be holding and the sheet starts to peel away from the backing. I am in SW Florida so our high heat may have something to do with the problem. My dealer told me that they have many customers waiting for these trim pieces and infiniti isn't telling them when they can expect them.

I did get a call back last night from customer service and they are calling my dealer to find out why the dealer can't get parts (could it be because infiniti isn't shipping the parts...)..and they will get back to me on Wed telling me how they can help.
  • infinitisvcinfinitisvc Member Posts: 12
    I work at an Infiniti dealer in the Dallas TX area. I have noticed we are getting the wood garnishments for the doors more quickly now. In fact I was able to order some today with an ETA of tomorrow. Check with your dealer on the availability. Hopefully, this shortage will be coming to an end soon.
    got a call today from the "eastern region parts expediter" in Infiniti Customer Service saying that she has raised my order to the highest priority and she would contact me on the 13th for status. No message about expected delivery time or any interim fix like gluing the "veneer" back down.

This is not helpful customer service and does nothing more than the dealer could do. I guess the theory is that if someone in HQ says they're doing something, then you'll feel loved. I guess this doesn't work with me....I don't want love, I want my car to look like a $45K car.

INFINITISVC...I'm looking for the rosewood driver door panel on a standard '08 M35. Is that one of the parts that you can get overnight?
    Another update...Infiniti "customer service" has no idea when the part will even be available....they say there is nothing more they can do and they refuse to give me any "escalation" path, email or phone for Nissan Corporate in the US or Japan. So I have no idea if this is a one week, one month or longer problem. I asked if someone could tell the dealer how to temporarily glue the plastic piece down and they said they didn't want the dealers doing that (why not?).

So I guess I sit with everyone else and wait....but I will find out how to contact Nissan in Japan and let them know of how this is effecting their reputation in the US....via internet postings like mine. Perhaps they will figure out a way to air ship some replacements in quickly.
    A suggestion would be to have your dealership call some auto recycling people in your area. Or, have them call the place they have body work completed on Infiniti's. Wishing you well.
  • tmartin63tmartin63 Member Posts: 19
    Your best bet at this pint is probably trying to find a used part. Try these guys http://www.car-part.com/ - or as the other writer suggested, call a local body shop and see if they can locate the used part for you. There's nothing Infiniti can do if the parts not currently in production. I'm not sure what year model you have, but if it's a 2006 or newer, wouldn't the part be availb at the new car assembly plant in Japan?
    This peeling veneer is on my 2008 M35 which is under warranty....

Think about it. If there is a quality control issue with these parts, then they must be continuing to build cars with wood panels that they know may peel. I'm pretty sure that the 2009 and 2008 use the exact same panels.

If they have fixed the problem, then why aren't there any parts here. We are less than 24 hours away from the manufacturer (by air).

I have been told that there are "hundreds" on backorder....but I don't know if that's true. I do know that my dealer was very familiar with the problem when I initially went in and they told me that they have a number of them on backorder.

The Florida "parts expediter" in customer service has not called back although I have left at least two messages. I presume that there is nothing she can do which may well be true if Infiniti Corp just doesn't have parts. It is near impossible to find anyone else in Nissan who you can speak to.

Frustrating....
    Last time I read this posting everything with my M was fine.I now note the passenger side wood trim is delaminating.MSRP 64,500 and falling apart.What is next?
    Does anyone know the ground clearence for the M45x and is there an issue with winter snow/ice?Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Edmunds spec sheet for a 2009 model says 5.5 inches, which is not great and more car-like than truck like, if that's what you mean. A Lexus SUV has 7.1 and a Subaru Outback over 8 inches of clearance, to give you an idea. In light fresh snow, I don't think ground clearance is a problem but if you travel on very bad roads, with rocks and ruts, or if you have to plow through hard pack, that might prove to be an issue.

Visiting Host
    Is the ground clearance the same on the 2008.I used to drive a Tahoe and my wife has an Outback.We have a 1/2 mile drive but I also use a plow truck.Every now and then I need to get back in after work before I plow. Will a 7 foot plow fit on the front of the M45X. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah same. You wouldn't want to plow with this type of vehicle and drivetrain. It's really not built for it. You need 4X4 with a low range , not AWD.
  • infinitisvcinfinitisvc Member Posts: 12
    If it has been a while since you have checked with your dealer, you may want to check again. I am a service consultant for a dealer in the Dallas area and we have had the M wood panels in stock with ample supply for a couple of weeks now.

I don't know this for certain, but it looks like the wood panels had a problem in mfg. Hopefully it has been corrected now.

Good luck.
    finally had the panel replaced today....
  • demarcomdemarcom Member Posts: 5
    Glad to find this post... I have 2 - 2008 M35x's and both have the problem. One of them is much worse. The back door veneers are just flapping in the wind. Both front doors are warped and peeling. The 2nd car is not as bad and just peeling off. I had these parts on order with Porter Infiniti in DE, and that's been 2 months now, with no end in sight. I guess I will call again...
    Thank you so much for your input...I asked my dealer if they would contact your dealer and they REFUSED....I do not want to disrespect you, but this kind of issue was my concern before I bought an Infiniti product. I should have stayed with Lexus. It does not bother me that this happen or their is a delay but the "passing of the buck" that myself and other Infiniti owners are experiencing is not acceptable. I was told by my dealer that they were told unable to obtain part and earliest possible date, NEXT YEAR...Can I buy them from you?
    I have a passenger door front with the panel warping and coming off.I called the dealer and 4 days later they have stated the part is in to be replaced.The back -order issue must be resolved.