Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cilurzocilurzo Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for this info! And yes, I'm a Verizon 650 user too.

I just bought the phone a week ago... so now I will have to go into the research mode. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
  • rrhearrhea Member Posts: 3
    My Treo 700w works great with Bluetooth in my M35. I have not tried a 650.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    Thanks for all the information. I have Cingular, and the firmware is version 1.17, so I am going to assume that the issue may be resolved. I will know later today when I pick the car up.

I called Infiniti and they told me that the Palm was not an accepted phone, but that was because they tested it a year ago with the old firmware.

I should be getting the Palm 700P when it comes out for GSM, so that should be at least somewhat better.
  • bennet1bennet1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I am at 25k miles.
  • jeff721jeff721 Member Posts: 80
    #508 of 510 Re: Homelink, and a Question on Bluetooth [art234] by rrhea May 19, 2006 (9:01 pm)
    Replying to: art234 (May 18, 2006 12:19 pm)

My Treo 700w works great with Bluetooth in my M35. I have not tried a 650.

Are you a Verizon customer?
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    Surprise--the Treo 650 appears to work very well with the car. I had to manually enter some phone numbers to the address book but I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, surprised at the fuel economy--average 19.7 first 100 miles or so, mixed driving.

I'll keep you posted regarding the phone.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    With the M's Bluetooth, we all have to manually enter numbers in the phonebook, regardless of the phone or carrier.
  • dinkydowdinkydow Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have or know of anywhere I can purchase 4 rims off of an 06 M35 sport? I would prefer these, if not I would settle for 2 of the stock rims for the M35. I have 2 with bad curb rash. Thank You!! Please email me at snowdrif@localnet.com
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    You can transfer phone book entries from the phone directly to the M without having to manually reenter them, but it is on a one-by-one basis, there is no phonebook transfer, only single entries. That's how I got most of my entries into my M from my Motorola phone.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    You can transfer phone book entries from the phone directly to the M without having to manually reenter them, but it is on a one-by-one basis, there is no phonebook transfer, only single entries. That's how I got most of my entries into my M from my Motorola phone.

Please elaborate how.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    On my phone, once you've got the phone paired, at the menu on the phone, I select transmit...it gets stored in the car's phone book. The car then asks you if you want to add a voice tag. Look in the phone's manual. Also, find your phone on the Infiniti website and make a copy of the phone's instructions. WIth that and the phone's manual, you should be able to figure out how/if it is possible with your phone. I haven't done it for awhile, so it is a little hazy.
  • scoop4scoop4 Member Posts: 40
    I scratched both wheels on the passenger side of my M35X last fall. Over the winter I had them fixed by a company, Rimpro in Tewksbery, MA. They did an excellent job. Turnaround is 5-7 business days.
  • pcorneaupcorneau Member Posts: 3
    having steering issue also. seems that any preasure or forced applied to the tier causes the sterring wheel to turn. sound like your issue?
    i am having the same problem. Have you worked it out?
    i have an m35 sport and its steering is awful. I have to hold the steering tight as it will pull from my hands when on any road that is not flat and smooth as glass.
    I have the same issue. Have you found a solution?
  • tom2006tom2006 Member Posts: 6
    Rotate the tires every 3000 miles, run 41-45 PSI,
    I had the crew chief of a friend's Bush team drive the car, he said it was set with little or no TOE IN, The wide tires make it track ALL uneven road surface. Corrected the Toe,rotate,PSI and it drove a 75% better.
    I hope this helps!
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    can you give us a toe in number....not sure our local alignment folks would have a clue what to set it at unless they follow the book.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    And thank YOU for the 25K mile alert. I'll not reach that number during the term of my lease but I'll obviously have inadequate tread life to satisfy the dealer. I figured on that so I bought extra warranty coverage for $900 that (among other things) pays for a full set of new tires if the tread's too thin. As the BEST price I've found online for these puppies is ~ $300 including S & H which, X 4 = $1,200 so I'm clearly ahead of the game ... significantly. That extra warranty also bought me top-of-the-line window tinting that would have cost me $250 so I'm $550 to the good ... at least! Unfortunately, I caught a nail in the RR tire a couple of weeks ago and it was a biggie ... I was warned the patch might not hold and I'm losing ~ 1 psi every five days so will likely be stuck replacing that one. Still ahead of the game, though, so can't complain. Bart :) :shades:
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    who offers an extended warranty that covers tires?? Infinity or someone else?
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    No, my issue is that the steering feels too light sometimes particularly at low speeds. I had the dealer check it out last time but they say everything is ok. Maybe the steering feel changes over time as the car breaks in. I have driven a loaner g35 which seems tight but too sensitive. A sneeze could send you into the next lane. But I wish there was more resistance in my M35x steering when I'm at lower speeds. (Function of power steering? I'm not a gearhead so I can only describe the feeling) Not a huge deal but just my preference.
    I do notice the steering does pull unevenly at times when the road is uneven. But it's not as bad is my last car- Acura TL which had very obvious torque steer with its front wheel drive.
  • gojayhawksgojayhawks Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have issues with popping noises coming from the vents? It happens when I turn on the air after the cabin gets warm (from sitting outside in the sun). The warmer the cabin the more it pops. I took it to the dealer. They installed all new vents but I still have the issue (although not as bad). The popping sporadically occurs from all vents and generally lasts for 2-3 minutes after kicking the air on.
    It's the "Signature Lease" agreement from Infiniti Financial Services. They stipulate "return to an Infiniti dealership". No biggie there.

Bart ;) :shades:
  • velveteendad1velveteendad1 Member Posts: 36
    Did that also cover the window tinting, or did the dealer just throw that is as an extra when you agreed to get the extra warranty?
    He initially wanted $1500 and I told him he was knutz. He then spun a yarn agreeing with me that the dealers make a lot on the extended warranty and he'd give it to me for "only" $900 including the window tinting. Off the top I'd say the window tint was obviously "an extra" incentive to close the deal ... and it worked out in my favor. You know how it goes: "We have a special deal w/ the tinting company and we'll pass it on to you so we'll give you the warranty and the window tinting (that I had to get anyway because of the intense desert heat) for $900."

Bart :shades:
  • ccannonjcccannonjc Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the release date for the 2007 models?
    They're coming end of June/beginning of July. Dealers placed initial orders on April 6 & 7. I custom ordered one, and they told me 90 days. But they said it might be in a little earlier than 90 days, at the end of June.
    The extended warranty that covers tires (if tread's < 1/8"), wheel damage, paint damage, lamp damage, upholstery damage, door dings, brakes, etc, is MPP Co. It's called Mechanical Protection Plan and they're out of Shawnee Mission, KS. They cover up to $2,500 at lease end. Tires alone for my M35 Sport will be ~ $1,200 and I got a $250 ceramic window tint with the package for just under $900 so for me it will work out fine. Someone posted that his Sport's tires wore out at 25K miles ... my car will have less than that when I'm ready to turn it in but it will be close. Bart :shades:
  • cilurzocilurzo Member Posts: 3
    I have the same thing happening on my M45. I am guessing that it's plastic heated up and then cooling off. I'm not worried about it... since it's doesn't seem to cause any problems.
  • gojayhawksgojayhawks Member Posts: 14
    That is definitely what is causing the noise. Mine is very loud and often when I first kick on the AC when the cabin is hot. A couple pops would be one thing, but mine is definitely beyond acceptable. It is going back to Infiniti this week.

Dan
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    I just got a mailing advising me of an available free "reprogramming" of the Intelligent Cruise Control to eliminate some apparent problem that occurs when the unit picks up road grime. I haven't experienced any real problems with mine (M35x, delivered 10/05) but will ask for the fix at 7500 miles. does anyone know anything about this?? Drove about 250 miles this weekend, mostly in crummy weather, and just adore this car.

:)
  • infinitidriverinfinitidriver Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 M35. This morning I got in my car and all 4 windows were down and the doors were unlocked. I live in the deep south and it was over 90 degrees when I got home and besides I never roll down all 4 windows. All of my spare keys were in the drawer in the house where they normally are. No one has access to my keys but me. I can believe that it might be possible that I forgot to lock the doors but I would never leave the windows down in my hot humid climate. Any suggestions lilke a electrical short.
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    I realize it was almost a year ago, but what was the outcome of your problem? Reading your description -- of what might be involved (tearing the seat apart) in repairing one (of 14) Bose speakers that is in the seat -- was enough to make me pause about ordering that system, if I went ahead and got the M35x.
    Having gotten to the brink of choosing the M35x over the Audi A6, I read through this entire forum last night. Consumer Report, in the Annual Auto Issue, emphasized the M35/M45 as one of 4 cars for which 95% of owners reported no problems during CR's urvey period. But that didn't tally with what I read here. Then I noticed that the CR survey was conducted in the spring of 2005. The new M had been on sale a very short time -- maybe a few months -- so the lack of problems might have been skewed by the newness. Do you actual owners, in discussing your cars here, end up feeling they turned out to be more problematic than you had believed they would be when you bought them?
  • purplem46purplem46 Member Posts: 54
    Instead of relying upon the few people that post here, why don't you take a look at the new 2006 JD Power quality survey that has just been published. You can find the results on most of the major news websites. I think you will find it mirrors consumer report's findings.
    Do you have a website?
    JD Powers 2006 Study: Audi A6 4.2 versus Infiniti M35x

Overall Quality (Defects and Malfunctions) - 4/5 versus 5/5
    Mechanical Quality (Defects and Malfunctions)-5/5 versus 5/5
    Body & Interior Quality (Defects and Malfunctions)-5/5 versus 4/5
    Feature & Accessory Quality (Defects and Malfunctions)-2/5 versus 4/5
    Overall Quality (Design likes and dislikes) -5/5 versus 4/5
    Body & Interior Quality - (Design likes and dislikes)-4/5 versus 5/5
    Feature & Accessory Quality (Design likes and dislikes)-4/5 versus 3/5

Infiniti M-series among top 3 in Midsize cars
    -Infiniti had more defects and malfunctions in area of body and interior (perhaps reflected in complaints on Edmunds about moon-roof rattles and such), but far fewer in area of features and accessories.
    -Owners liked Audi design better overall (how things work, not whether they broke or malfunctioned); they favored M35 body and interior design, but liked Audi features and accessories better.

I notice that ,in the "Large Premium Car" category, The Audi A8 made the top-3 cut. I wonder if that's because complaints about Audi V6 engine outpace complaints about Audi V8?
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Actually, I think the first cars in March of '05 had more problems. You can see from the TSB list that several bulletins only apply to early production vehicles.
    In problems/defects per 100 vehicles, Infinity scored 111 while Audi scored 130, the average was 124. In the midsize premium car category, Infinity M tied for second place with the Jag S type. First place went to the Lexus 330. The Audi 8 (a real beauty IMO) placed second against the Lexus 430 in large luxo. Toyota/Lexus pretty much buried everyone else.

From what you've said so far (especially the part where you don't like the amount of power or throttle note on the M), I think you may end up liking the Audi better. It is less powerful and quieter.
    I'm finding that my onboard sensors are understating the true tire pressures by ~ 4 psi when compared with the old-fashioned hand-held pressure gauge. I felt I was "low" @ 33 psi this morning so checked all four ... 37 - 38 on hot AZ asphalt pavement today. At least ALL of them had the same level of error ... is this something that can be fixed by Infiniti? Bart :shades:
    Reading a forum like this certainly isn't a way to determine how many people have problems with a car - the title of this forum is "Problems & Solutions", so most of the people who come here are those who have problems (sorry to restate the obvious.) I assume you'd find similar types of problems on the Audi A6 Owners: Problems & Solutions board!
    I'd check two things first:

1) do you still run the factory size tire and rims? The monitor is based upon revolutions made, so if size changes, measurement will also change.

2) You said you checked and found 33 lbs in the morning then you said 37 - 38 in hot Arizona asphalt. It's not clear to me if you inferred a difference in time between checking by guage and by sensor monitor, but you will always have four to six lbs difference on a hot tire (especially after being driven) than a cold tire prior to driving.

If none of the above, don't know the answer. Mine seems to measure same between guage and sensor.
  • lhelmslhelms Member Posts: 2
    You are not alone, I live in Boston and I have had the same problem. I wondered if I left a key to near the driveway. I have been checking this board to see if other have had this problem. I think there are problems with the "smart" key. Please post if you find a solution. I would hate to find a foot of snow in my car this winter.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Do you actual owners, in discussing your cars here, end up feeling they turned out to be more problematic than you had believed they would be when you bought them?

Not even remotely problematic. I own one of the first M45 Sport's off the line, and as I've found with my 2003 G35 Coupe, the car has been flawless. When I visit the dealership I find that the service department has the look of the old Maytag repairman's shop. While the facility is pristine and state of the art, there aren't many cars in there. Infiniti's excellent scores, especially long-term reliability scores, are reflected in my locality.

For those of you making a purchasing choice and concerned about reliability, look at not only the initial quality studies, but also the 3 and 5 year studies. In the long-term studies, Infiniti has actually moved ahead of Lexus. Further, if you were to throw out the numbers from the QX56, the only Infiniti manufactured in the states, the numbers would be even better.

You mentioned that you've read the entire "problems" section of this forum Charlie. Consider that there are well over 6,000 posts on the M35/M45 thread and yet only in the 300 range on the problems thread. Many of the 300+, mine included, remark on the high reliability, not problems.

As I've opined, if you consider the paucity and types of complaints regarding the M, a realist would have to come to the conclusion that Infiniti did a magnificent job on this car considering that it is a completely new model (yes I know the Fuga was out a year).
    purplem ... I still have the OEM tires and rims, and the 33 psi registered on dash WAS AT THE SAME TIME as 37 - 38 by hand guage and the pump guage. It's not a major crisis ... but I'll bring it up next time the car goes in for it's oil change and lube ... early August. Funny ... the only "issues" I've ever had with this car have been the tire sensors ... when they rotated the tires ~ six months ago the dealer totally disabled the sensors, not a real malfunction ... just a foul-up on their part.

I like to run my tires a little on the firm side but still within manufacturer's specs to extend tire life ... our asphalt gets up to 170F in the summer! At ~ $400 a pop, squeezing another few thousand miles out of them can make the difference between having to replace them before the end of the lease and getting to lease end with the tires still functional.

Bart :shades:
    Do you actual owners, in discussing your cars here, end up feeling they turned out to be more problematic than you had believed they would be when you bought them?

Charlie ... I took delivery of my M35 Sport on April 6, 2005 and it has been utterly flawless. I broke my cardinal rule of never buying a first model year but I liked the car so much
    and had had such a great experience w/ my earlier Q45 ... well, I took the gamble and it paid off. Bart
  • orlandom35orlandom35 Member Posts: 6
    Hello out there! I just purchased my M35 Journey/Tech, and I have one "problem" that needs a "solution".

At the risk of being preached to about safety and liability I ask .....

Is it possible to disable the parking brake / DVD playback feature? Anyone that has the Tech package would know that the only way to play a DVD (and watch video opposed to just hearing the audio) is if the parking brake is pressed in. Even the slightest press of the brake allows the video to be seen on the dash monitor. The car can be in drive and video plays if parking brake is just touched. If it is possible to "fix" this, what pointers should I tell my local car audio shop when trying to solve my "problem"?
  • firecaptfirecapt Member Posts: 6
    I have had my m35x for 2 months now with zero problems. Getting 17 mpg in town and 24 mpg on the road using mid-range gas. I got the ivory pearl with wheat interior which i really like doesnt show the dirt the darker color cars do i get many compliments on it. Their is not a New car out there that is not going to have some problem from time to time, Infiniti gave us a 4yr 60000 mi warrenty (better than most) to take care of those problems. I have owned many cars and this is the best.
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    I agree. This is my 8th new car buying/leasing experience. My previous one was a BMW 325 convertible. I have had the M35x for 8 mos (7500 mi)with zero defects and, most importantly, a very responsive dealer. My experiences with BMW service were, in a word, ghastly. This is my first AWD vehicle, and the handling is fabulous. The gripes that I have seen thus far (no automatic door locks, LDW too sensitive, passenger seat doesn't adjust 18 ways, etc.) seem petty to me. That's one driver's opinion.

:)
  • orlandom35orlandom35 Member Posts: 6
    Quick update...

My local car audio shop added a toggle switch to "trick" the DVD player into thinking the emergency brake is engaged. Two issues now, when the toggle switch is engaged the emergency brake light stays lit (small price to pay while DVD is playing) AND, as soon as the car gets in motion the navigation system takes over the monitor. So, bypassing the emergency brake is not enough to allow the DVD player to display video while the emergency brake is NOT engaged and the car is in motion. Has anybody had any success out there with this?