Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ijamijam Member Posts: 3
    I have an M35, and the sound system just doesn't sound sharp. It doesn't sound rich like other car systems. Any recommendations on what I can do? Should I upgrade to Bose? Or how can I modify my stereo system? I'm also looking to somehow integrate an audio input jack for IPOD. Any suggestions appreciated!
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    The selection button (R or L) to pick which side mirror you're adjusting has to be on "L" to get the left mirror to angle down when reversing, on "R" for the right mirror. In the "neutral" position neither mirror will rock down. Bart
    I had batteries in my carry-on, liquid nasal spray, scissors (admittedly small), wires to charge my phone and my Palm, and nothing got opened. Tells me what I've always suspected ... they're "profiling" and this 66 year old blond/balding eye doctor doesn't fit the mold of a dangerous terrorist. At the same screening, however, they selected for wanding three seniors in wheelchairs ... and actually asked them "can you stand up" for the wanding! They wobbled all over the place but were proven safe and explosive-free.

Bart
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Phone book edits and address book edits are performed through a different menu than whne entering them....I just can't remember which one at the moment. If I get the chance, I'll try to remember (i.e. trial-and-error again) the sequence and menus.
  • dguilbeaudguilbeau Member Posts: 1
    I was able to edit phone entries (change the name, number, and change the voice tag) by going into Settings, Phone, Address Book - from here you can edit the entries) You can't get there if you press the Phone button, only the Settings button.
  • asd302asd302 Member Posts: 65
    Hey everyone, I need some major help!! Two weeks after I picked up my car 3 months ago I took it into the dealership because I felt that it was revving way higher than a $52k luxury car should be, roughly 3450RPM at 80mph. Stopped by dealership, they wouldn't look at it, said it was normal, they are all that way, so I left. Well, fast forward to tuesday morning when I take it in for the 1st oil change. There at 8 and planning on waiting for oil change to be completed. After 2 hours, the service writer comes out and tells me they need to keep my car and gives me a loaner. I ask them if they have done the oil change yet and if I can get some things out of my car. They had not done the oil change yet, and when I went to the car it was dead center of all the bays with 5 technicians standing around it. So 4 o'clock today I still havent heard anything so I call only to find out that they have ordered a new transmission and have no ETA on when it will even ship, or where it will ship from!! I dont want a brand new car with less than 4k on the ODO with a tranny replaced already! Any advice on how I can get infiniti or the dealership to just buy this P.O.S. back?? Service manager first said that it was just a small part on the tranny and that infiniti recommended that because car is so new they just replace the whole thing, then when I started getting angry he changed to "we talked infiniti into replacing the whole thing instead of just the part, we are doing everything we can for you." Sorry for the length of post, but any advice would be appreciated!!
    IMO, asd, your chances of getting them to buy it back are somewhere between slim and none ... and Slim left town. I'd pester the bejeebers out of them, however, and go to Infiniti regional HQ's for possible intervention. They can legitimately say it's a warranty issue and they're honoring the warranty ... no "lemon law" will assist you in this adventure. I would, however, insist that if you won't have your M quickly they give you a loaner M at the very least.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Bart
  • sjsbgladsjsbglad Member Posts: 2
    I live in the NYC metro area and commute to the city in my M35X. Love the car overall, except that I'm constantly running to the dealer to have my wheels balanced. The dealer tells me I currently have 3 bent wheels. Last year I hit a deep pothole and had to replace a wheel ($750 -ouch!). I haven't hit a pothole like that in recent memory, nor any curbs. My most recent visit to the dealer was last week after driving through a sunken man hole cover (2" deep) on a rain soaked road at 20 to 25 MPH (went back to look). Is anyone else experiencing the same? Is it the low profile wheel and tire combo? Where can I get replacement wheels besides the dealer? Has anyone switched to aftermarket wheels? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Steve
  • lovemym35x1lovemym35x1 Member Posts: 3
    Ihave had that situation happen to me 4 times in 1 year. As we speak the Service center called me and said that the car was fixed. It happenned once about 5months ago and then in the last 3 weeks, its happenned once a week. I am getting sick and tired of this issue. All of a sudden, All the warning lights come on and you lose all the power off your car. Anyone have any idea as to how i can go about with the LEMON LAW?
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    18/19" alloy wheels and a low clearance car are not a great choice for NYC roads...You are lucky you haven't lost the transmission and other parts on the bottom of the car such as the spoilers and covers....I know, I lived there.

There is little you can do to improve the situation other than 1) trade the M for a Hummer or equivalent or 2) move.
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    Asd, some car manufacturers wouldn't even acknowledge a problem, let alone replace the whole transmission. You brought it in for an oil change and they spotted a problem. I wish I always had 5 techs looking at my car, LOL! Infiniti's policy is to give you a loaner while your car is being repaired, so what's the problem?

BTW, my wife's Saab transmission went after just 1500 miles, they didn't replace it, just rebuilt it.
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    I have a G35 coupe with the 19" alloy wheels. When I bought the car, the dealer offered me wheel and tire insurance for around 6$ per month. Having bent alloy wheels in the past, I went for it. You might see if your dealer offers anything similar. It replaces wheels and tires damaged by road hazards. Sounds like it is what you need.

Good luck!
    I bought that coverage ... and it includes new tires at all four corners when I turn it in at the lease's end, no cost to me. I have not quite 10K miles on my M35 Sport now, and I'm half way into the lease so I'm hoping all I have to do is drive on "slicks" to the bitter end. I've been seeing posts of 22K miles to tread wear ... I should make it. I keep my tires hard ... 38 psi ... should make it. Bart
    Lemon laws are variable from state to state ... but a recent state Supreme Court found that Lemon Laws do NOT apply to leased vehicles. If you're leasing you will likely be out of luck.

If you've bought the car and IF a problem can't be resolved in "X" number of visits, or if the number of disabling problems is such that the vehicle's quality is suspect the laws will help you. More than that, Infiniti itself may opt to take the car back, for a price of course.

A friend of mine had a MB SL55AMG that had all sorts of problems ... and MB was unwilling to settle a dispute with him until he assured him that their legal defense bill would be greater than the cost of a new car if they didn't take his car back ... even AFTER it had been wrecked! Once they knew HIS legal budget was ample to beat them up they agreed to replace his car w/ a new one. He told them out front he would pay a few $K difference ...

Bart
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    ... and it includes new tires at all four corners when I turn it in at the lease's end, no cost to me.

Blov8r, are you sure, or am I missing something? Assuming your lease is 24 mos. that's only $144. How can they afford to replace even one tire at the end of the lease, let alone all four? That doesn't seem right even if its $6 per wheel.
    I'm sure. It's a 36 month lease and for covering condition issues at lease end I'm paying $900 over the course of the lease, and that included window tinting! They're betting on the average lease of that duration going at least 12K/year so the vast majority of people who pick up this protection will have to replace all tires before lease end. It covers dings and dents, upholstery rips and stains, windshield cracks, etc. It's not from the manufacturer .. it's an after-market money maker for the dealer but in my instance it will likely cover me completely and be a loser for them. (I do NOT believe it covers bent wheels.) Bart
  • sjsbgladsjsbglad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll look into the aftermarket protection, but after a year and half and 20K miles I don't know if I'll qualify. Fortunately, I have not experienced any other under carriage damage to the vehicle. I've started looking into aftermarket wheels which is probably the way I'll go ($1000 - $1200 for a set compared to $3000 for OEM wheels). The mfg standards appear to be higher than Infiniti's as well. If anyone has experience with the aftermarket it would be much appreciated. I'll advise my final decision. Steve
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    Unfortunately, 3400 or so rpm in 5th gear around 80 is normal. The car is geared for performance, not economy and this has been an ongoing gripe with me since the G35X I traded in for my M35X. At 70 it's almost 3000 RPM. I would think the car needs a long 6th or so, as most cars are turning around 2000 at 70 or so.

I did have an interesting experience last week however, I started the car, it stalled, and I started it again--the key was in my pocket, no trouble code given. When I put it in drive, it went into safe mode--RPMS top at 1800 and the car won't go over 40. After 12 miles or so I put in reverse and drive again and it ran normally--went right to the dealer, no codes received-they think I am crazy, but it happened.

I am on my third radio now--audio problems with the first and CD player died on the second--took over 3 weeks to get a radio!

ASD--what did they tell you was wrong with the tranny, and if they haven't please let us know what you learn!
    No one will sell you protection once the car's been in service for any length of time ... kind of like a health insurer excluding pre-existing conditions. My coverage is through an outfit named Mechanical Protection Plan (MPP) out of Shawnee Mission, KS. It's called Executive Lease Coverage and covers up to $2,500 for paint damage, dents, scratches, chips, rust, etc. Plus head lights, tail lights, bumpers and bumper trim, brake rotors, drums, pads, and shoes. Shocks. Interior upholstery damage. Windshields and windows. Side view mirrors. Alloy and steel wheels! Excess tire wear w/ less than 1/8" remaining tread. Belts and hoses. Audio system. Essentially gives me a "walk away for nothing" option.

Bart
  • n4sirn4sir Member Posts: 1
    I had luck using the AUX mode.
    purchased a 1/8" headphone to RCA connector and attached it to the audio inputs behind the center console used for the DVD player.
  • cslivacsliva Member Posts: 2
    With about 1000 miles on the vehicle, my 2007 M35X began having an electrical system failure in the console. All controls would freeze or blank out. The A/C and heater controls would be frozen in place as they were in at the time of the electrical fault. The Navigation would be blank. In addition, the radio, CD, and sirius satellite would go out and be non-functioning. Everything to do with the center console would go out. The car is drivable, but could be a SAFETY concern if you needed to defrost the windshield, because you wouldn't be able to do it with the controls frozen. The dealer has ordered a replacement navigation unit, based upon my description of the problem. I am currently waiting for the unit to come in, however, to make matters worse, the problem is intermittent. For example, last week this occurred ever time I drove after 5-10 minutes, now there has not been a single problem for about 10 days. I am planning to still bring the car in as there are a few subtle problems (ie the volume of the voice instruction goes to the minimum level after I set it to the desired level). Any thoughts?
  • a445a445 Member Posts: 9
    This has been an issue that was addressed many months ago here. The dealer replaced my Navigation unit a while back for the same issues. It seemed to have corrected the problem. Every so often the computer would "Lock up" on boot up when starting the vehicle and nothing would work. Since the replacement unit was installed I have had the same incident happen once or twice, over the course of about 6 months. The only difference now is that after about 5 minutes the computer would clear itself and restart while driving. My dealer is aware of this ongoing issue and is in communication with Infinity Tech Support.
  • asd302asd302 Member Posts: 65
    The dealership still cant tell me why exactly the tranny is being replaced. At first I was told that there was a small part on the tranny that was bad, specific part not given, and that infiniti wanted the whole thing replaced because of the such low miles on the car. Then I was told that the dealership actually talked them into it, "taking care of their customer." Anyways, I dropped it off on the 18th, its now the 26th, and they told me today that it will be at least the 16th before the tranny is here. Any idea how long it will take them to put the tranny in? That's dangerously close to the PA 30 consecutive days in shop lemon law, and yes the car is leased but PA lemon law covers leased vehicles. Oh yeah, they put me in an absolutley beat up '04 G35, I need BT and Nav so they just put me in a QX56... ugh!! Why cant they give me an M??
    Lucky you're in PA .. some states specifically exclude leased cars from lemon laws. At 30 days, is it "automatic" that the lemon law kicks in? Or do you then have to go through a lengthy process to get the car replaced?

In any event, why do you care why the tranny's being replaced? It's being replaced because it's got a problem and Infiniti is doing the right thing by replacing it. You can't make a "bad faith" argument, and they've accommodated you with a QX56 ... not my choice, but they're doing their best (IMO). Installing a new transmission is at most a half day affair IF they put their people on it right away. That it takes that long to GET a transmission isn't a surprise ... it likely has to come from Japan and is hardly the kind of thing they keep on the shelf. Bart
  • hilleyhilley Member Posts: 10
    I would like to be able to disconnect the ICC cruise control, and only use a standard control. I do not like the brakes to be applied when I am passing a car on the left on a curve on a four lane road. I also do not like the distance to the car ahead before the ICC applies the brakes, even on the shortest standard setting. On occasion the ICC has applied the brakes by sensing something on the side of the road. If the ICC cannot be disconnected, can the sensing angle or the distance to the car ahead be altered?
    In a word, "yes". It can be inactivated ... I don't have the manual in front of me right now. Bart
  • hilleyhilley Member Posts: 10
    Bart,

Thanks for your answer. Where can I get a manual that outlines the proceedure to deactivate the ICC, or can you advise me this proceedure when you locate your manual?

Bob
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    You didn't get a manual with your car?
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    On the 2006 M35, you can activate conventional cruise control (non-ICC) by holding the cruise on/off button on the steering wheel down for a few seconds when first engaging the system. This is set forth in the manual.
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    I would like to be able to disconnect the ICC cruise control, and only use a standard control.

Bart and nycdude are correct that the ICC on 2006 and later M35s can be disengaged. Unfortunately, I don't believe this is possible for the driver to do in the 2003 model.

While talking to my Service Manager about the current ICC recall, we got into a discussion about previous year models. I was unaware, until that conversation, that previous implementations of ICC did not include "regular" cruise control as a backup to the "intelligent" version.
    Therefore, I think the only cruise control available to the driver of a 2003 M is the "intelligent" variety. I believe that complaints about the lack of cruise control during rainy conditions("intelligent" cruise is disabled when wipers are engaged) and fear of using "intelligent" cruise persuaded Infiniti to provide both versions on 2006 and later models.

Your Service Manager should be able to confirm this for you though.
    For starters, hilley, there WAS no 2003 M35. They had the M45 which I personally felt was a better looking car (as I felt tha 2nd iteration of the Q45 was better looking than the 1st and 3rd efforts).
  • altaredaltared Member Posts: 12
    Am glad I did not purchase the Technology package in my '07 M35. I just didn't see any value in ICC, Navigation, tracking headlights, etc, etc. There is a point when technology is just 'too over the top' to be practical. I did buy the Entertainment package though. Have had no issues yet at all with my vehicle (but had it only a month so far).

Like some others, I would have liked to seen a 6th gear or overdrive like my 2000 Infiniti did for touring/cruising, but that is a minor issue in my mind for a performance based vehicle.
    Several times I have pulled into a gas station and started to fill my gas tank, only to find that the pump turns off after just a few gallons..well before the gas tank is full. If I wait a little, I can pump more gas into the tank..but it can be two or three tries before I really fill the tank.

I believe this is due to the gas tank vent somehow getting blocked when the gas is pumped too rapidly....not necessarily a problem with my specific car, but perhaps a design "feature" of the M35.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Occasionally, but I've never had a car that has been immune to this "balking". It's clearly a venting issue and I tend to encounter it more in the summer months than winter.

For the record, my gas mileage never got above 16.9 (per on board computer) for the first 10K miles ... now I'm getting 17.4 and we're still pumping the summer blend here. In addition, I've dropped from premium (91 octane) to middle grade (89 octane) and am still doing better.

Bart
  • rrhearrhea Member Posts: 3
    I use 87 octane in my 2006 M35 without difficulty.

Note that octane rating has nothing to do with gas mileage. You will get the same mileage no matter what octane you use. You only need to use higher octane if the owners manual recommends it.
    In order to not burn holes in the pistons when using a lower octane, the computer changes the timing and the power output of the engine. Depending on how you drive, you might very well be tempted to push the throttle harder to get the same performance out of the car. If you do that, you will get lower gas mileage with the lower octane. It very much depends on how you drive.
  • spark763spark763 Member Posts: 13
    Are the seat bottoms only heated, not the seatbacks, with the heated and cooled seats
    I'm 19 months into my M35 Sport and still haven't had a moment's problem with it. Its endless array of high tech "stuff" wore off as novelties usually do and the only thing that still impresses me is the nav system. The Bluetooth phone capability is fine but frankly I find it no more useful than my OnStar in my Caddy ... and with my OnStar I didn't have to remember to carry a cell phone with me everywhere I went. Still love driving the car, but there's a lot of dollars tied up in things I can (and do) readily live without. Bart :shades:
  • chibchib Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced their M shaking or pulsating when they are cruising at roughly 37mph and 1400RPM on perfectly smooth road. My car has been doing this since the day I bought it, now I have 18000 miles and there still has been no resolution. Any ideas welcomed.
    Mine has a very slight pulse only when cold at around that speed. It seems to go away once warmed up.
  • bcorigbcorig Member Posts: 13
    One year old today 17,000 mi M35
    I just got back from a short trip to San Diego from LA. On I 15 NO ONE was going less than 80 MPH. When I had to pass it was so effortless and smooth.
    At 100 MPH the Car was solid and true - I didn't realize it until I looked down at the Speedometer.
    It still downshifts when braking down a steep hill and I will look into this but this car is so much fun to drive, I hate to bring it and leave it.
  • bcorigbcorig Member Posts: 13
    Happens to me at only one Mobil Station in Diamond Bar CA so it may be a station nozzle issue.
    Gas mileage - I get better mileage when manually shifting to keep at the lowest RPMs.
    At least 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement.
    I get 19 - 20 mpg 50% Freeway 50% Surface street.
    I really like this vehicle.
  • poorprofpoorprof Member Posts: 124
    Most luxury cars have a feature such that when you put the car in drive and take off, the doors lock. My M 35 is two days new and I havent figured much out yet, but do the doors lock when you drive?
    No, the doors do not automatically lock on the M35...AND...the seat belt reminder nicely reminds you to put the belt only once...and then it's up to you if you wear the belt.

There might be a way to set the doors to lock though...I've never looked because even though it's supposedly safer, it drives me nuts.
    First, my dealer did find soemthing amiss with some emission control canister, but that didn't fully solve my problem.

I finally discovered that, yes, it's pump related...and that if I rotate the nozzle a bit to the left or right (rather an just let it sit in the gas tank filler), I have no problems.
  • bobbio56bobbio56 Member Posts: 37
    checked with infiniti....they cannot lock automatically, nor can you get daytime running lights...only in canada...

great car.....
  • dallasdriverdallasdriver Member Posts: 7
    I just picked up my M35 last week. So far, I do love the car, although, after trading in my Benz, it has taken some getting used to. The door locks had perplexed me as well and was happily surprised someone had already inquired. However, the answer shocks me! My last 3 cars, including a Ford, all had doors that locked when the car was put into gear and, even nicer, unlocked automatically when you pulled on the door handle. This is a 50k luxury car and that seems like a simple thing. I drove around for a week before I realized I had been driving around with the doors unlocked. I guess I will just have to retrain myself to manually lock and unlock, but honestly, I'm surprised I have to.
    Has anyone bought the service manual on CD? I assume it is the same one that the dealer uses. The Infiniti site's cost is $210...anyone found it for less? I don't usually do much on my car - but, find it handy to understand what is involved, and be ready if away from a dealer, if something should happen.
    Bobbio --- I took delivery of my M35 in April of 2005 and from day #1 the posters on this thread raised the lack of automatic doorlocks as a material oversight. There were also complaints about the passenger's seat controls, but I understand that it has been remedied in the '07 model. It's a great car ... but it's hard to comprehend a $50K car being brought to market with two silly and minor things missing.

Another issue is that the eyeglass compartment gets scalding hot in the summertime, another minor problem that could have been eliminated by simply venting its door! My wife's Lexus does just that ... a simple slit of a vent that's cosmetically invisible but keeps glasses wearable.

Another problem is the lack of ability to start the car without the key fob. Heaven forbid you (or a valet) loses it and you're stranded w/ no hope of rescuing yourself.

Oh well ... no car's perfect! But the fun of driving this car makes up for some of the sins.

Bart :confuse:
  • alanpreston05alanpreston05 Member Posts: 36
    I have plugged my iPod into the RCA inputs in the rear of the center console using a high-quality Monster cable shielded connector, and have docked the iPod into the cigarette lighter in the front. Using the AUX selection, I get great sound from my iPod this way. However, there is audible interference noise, probably generated by the alternator, as the pitch follows vehicle acceleration up and down. Has anyone experienced this and do you have any recommendations for shielding this noise from the speakers? It's not a huge annoyance, but I'm sure it can be eliminated with an after-market product designed to do this. :confuse:

Thanks