Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• spider441spider441 Member Posts: 6
    All,
    We recently got our '06 M35 back from the body shop after a collision damage repair. Now, when ever I start the car, I hear a beeping noise. This goes away after some time. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Is the seatbelt lamp on? Might not have reinstalled the connection.
  • spider441spider441 Member Posts: 6
    James,
    Thanks for your input.

The seat belt lamp is all right. However, there is another lamp which is on. It's like a crown symbol. Any idea what it might be or whether that is driviing this beeping noise?

Thanks,
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    Just a guess, but could it be your tire pressure sensor?
  • tmartin63tmartin63 Member Posts: 19
    Lane Departure Warning?
  • jasonchampionjasonchampion Member Posts: 1
    I have had to replace the steering rrack now twice in one year and my car only has 30,000k m on it.

We become aware of the problem because of a front noise everytime we turn right!

Is this a known problem? and what can cause something like this to happen so quickly?
  • njm35njm35 Member Posts: 7
    I have had ths problem for some time now. The dealer the first time I took it in said yes we know of the problem and there is no fix. After that he played dumb. I have had it in twice and the last time they replaced the power stearing pump. The noise slowed down but it was still there. Now it is back stronger and I have to take it back again. I think this may come into the lemon law area???
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    I've been on these sites quite a bit, along with other forums, and have not seen any mention of this problem. I'd try the service manager again, then go to the East Coast region which is located in Franklin TN for assistance. I thought I had written down the address (should I need it), but just can't put my hands on it now..
  • bobicgbobicg Member Posts: 15
    Go to this message and read this thread, it may be helpful:

Messsage #840 of 866
    Re:Front end noise [bobicg] by mule714
    Sep 11, 2007 (8:33 pm)
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    I am on many of the Infiniti forums and this absolutely the first time I have ever heard about steering rack problems with any of the models. Make sure the dealer makes good. Good luck.
  • obab905obab905 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a left-over M35x w/tech package--diamond graphite w/charcoal in Jan 08'. The car is beautiful but the steering scares me. The car has a little over 400 miles and I want to give it back. On a perfectly smooth road the car performs well, but if there is any any little imperfections in the road it pulls and you fight with the wheel. I thought I was nuts, but after reading some other complaints on this site I know I'm ok. The dealer says that there are no "known Problems" regarding the steering....

I have owned many Nissan/Infiniti's and have never experienced a problem such as this. The car goes into the dealer next Monday.. I'll keep you posted.
  • kiwikkiwik Member Posts: 10
    Hmmm--- I am the original owner of a 2006 M35X with 15K miles on it and I thought I was nuts!! All of a sudden I started noticing this steering wheel issue a few weeks ago and really thought it was my imagination. When traveling down a major interstate and then when on the ruts where the trucks have damaged the road - I have been noticing that I too am "fighting" with the steering wheel. Last week I thought I was going to loose control of the car. I am a 100 lb. female and could barely get a hold of the wheel as it was veering to the left so bad then swayed to the right.....I will be curious to hear your outcome. I have an appt. for an oil change on Feb. 2 and am calling the dealer today to make them aware of this issue. I am the primary driver of the car, but do not drive the car that much - as I work from my home. This weekend we are heading to the mountains, my husband is going to drive and see if he notices anything. He doesn't drive the car, because the headlights drive him crazy in the evening even though they have been adjusted twice. I do agree, however, with the other reply where the person said they had not heard of any steering wheel issues - I have not either and get these forum updates daily! Anyway, I just love the car!
    Well I just spoke to my husband tonight on this issue - his opinion is that its the tires causing the car to sway and my steering problem. He thinks I run the car with way too much air in the tires which makes sense to me. To come to think of it, I did recently fill the tires to 40-42 PSI (Infiniti says max is 44 PSI). When we go to the mountains or during the real cold weather (we live in Colorado)- I hate that buzzard going off all the time if the tires drop in pressure below 27 PSI. What is the PSI in your tires? While neither one of us are car experts or mechanics - this is just our opinion. He runs his car at 30-34 PSI. We are going to take some air out of my tires tomorrow and see if that helps. Even though the car is a 2006 - we purchased it when they first came out in May 2005 and I have never had this problem before nor have I ever run the tires this full either until a few weeks ago.
    You really don't want that much pressure in the tires! 34-36 pounds is plenty for this car. The ride at 42 must be really stiff and you'll notice better braking as well. The pressure does drop as the temperature drops at the rate of around 1 pound per 10-degrees. So, even at the 34 pounds, you should have quite a temperature drop before you got a low pressure warning, and as you drive the car, the tires warm up raising the pressure.

Make sure when you fill them up you haven't driven more than a mile or so. Best if you have a compressor where you can do it in the garage or driveway. You also need an accurate gauge.
    The tire pressure in all four(4) tires is 32-33lbs as per the "Information Tab/Tire Pressure Screen" on the display. Checked them again with a tire gauge and still about 33lbs each... The steering also has some play in it and the car tends to pull to the left . I'm thinking she needs a good wheel alignment and some re-calibration on the steering rack..and from what I have been reading on the Goodyear tires it seems that this particular tire should not be matched to this car..
  • whereamiwhereami Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 MX355x and I see the problem. Sometimes the steering seems to have a mind of its own, specially on uneven pavement.
    I have not read any issues with "tramlining" affecting the base model M35. It just seems to affect the M35X and M35 Sport. I'm sure the tires are the culprits.
  • meliciamelicia Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 07 M35 Base model in September of 07. I noticed the steering would pull to the right when I was on roads that have groves in them and my car had less than 1000 miles on it. I thought I was crazy as well and didn't want anything to be wrong with my new M35 because I had researched the car so well before I purchased it.

So I don't think this steering issue is with only the all wheel drive or sports models. Because I have experienced the same problem with the the steering on my base model. My husband believes it's the tires that is causing the pulling. Please keep me informed. Only 3900 miles on the car.
  • njm35njm35 Member Posts: 7
    My M35X has 41K miles on it and it has been in 2 times already for a front end problem on the steering and I ended up taking it back a third time today.

Now time 1 they said the could not find a problem
    Second time they replaced the power stearing pump
    This time I did not even end up leaving it, listen what happened.

They got the head mechanic from the back to come out and look at it. He told me that this is a problem with ALL M series cars and he knows exaclty what is wrong, he did not need to drive it. It happens on right hand turns only and makes a noise and you can also feel it in the streering itself. So they did not keep my car because he needs to call Infiniti tech support to see what the next step may be. They mentioned the steering rack.

I dont know about you guys but I am going to start to look into the lemon laws.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    Last week the dealer replaced the steering rack and the improvement was significant. Then I put on Conti Extremes tires. I dove from Westchester County NY to southern VT. Contis are softer and fell stickier. I only drove in some light snow. They were fine. Contis have a hum on the interstate. Worth it for more traction.
    Press the dealer to cure the steering issue. I think this problem is snowballing.
    2006 M35X 28,000.
    The sticker on the car says 33 lbs. cold pressure. Too much and you will skid. Pressure will vary with outside temps somewhat. Maybe altitude too in CO.
    Well let the games begin... the service advisor called me today and said my car was ready-07' M35X w/tech & aero package-present milage is 770 miles... I asked the advisor what they had found, her response was that the tire pressures were all "off" as compared to Infiniti recommendations. When I asked her what the pressures were she could not answer this question. The first time I experienced this problem I measured the tire pressures and found them to be acceptable-32-33psi in each. I went to the dealer to test drive my newly repaired car. I also had some other warrantee work done--I will save that subject for another post. The service manager took a ride with me and guess what the problem is still there--when you drive on an uneven road the car has a mind of its own... Well at this point the service manager asks me "What do you want me to do? Duh...fix the problem.... Well they are looking into the "steering rack problem" that was prevelent in the 06' M35x.. maybe they had some leftover steering racks from the 06 and they used them in the 07'. Lucky me....the G35x loaner is great...They also suggested that the tires be replaced...not by me I said this car is brandy spankin new...He says that Infiniti will not replace tires...At this point the steering rack will probably be replaced..

I'll keep yu posted.
    Recall steering racks.
    Recall Goodyear RS-As
    US DOT Complaint form:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    I posted a a report in the fall of 2006 when my M45 sport was at 18 months. I had nothing but praise for the M45 and I stated that the car was flawless. In May 2006, when I was about to enter the highway the car lost power and I had to roll over to the side to get out of the way of traffic. I put the car in park and was able to restart the engine. When I got to the Infiniti dealer, they could not find the part that I needed in North America. My car was not driveable and I had to wait three weeks for the part to arrive. In August of 2007, I met the head of parts for Canada and explained to him that this is ridiculous for a Company the size of Infiniti to not have parts in inventory. He told me that it would cost too much money to maintain a sufficient inventory. I could not believe what I heard from this senior Infiniti executive. I told him that you will lose customers if you do not maintain a proper inventory. I had no futher problems with my car until November 9, 2007. My GPS system and radio took about 10 minutes to boot up when the car was cold. My problem is that my office is approximately 12 minutes away and that I had no use of the radio for most of my trip to work. If I had to go to a meeting and use the GPS, then I would have to warm of my car first. Eventually, the entire system crashed and I had no radio, GPS, heating etc. Luckily this happend within a couple of weeks of the part arriving. Once again Infiniti did not have the part in North America. It took Infiniti approximately 11 weeks to bring the part in and have my car fixed. I was so outraged that I called Infiniti customer support and asked them for compensation for waiting 11 weeks to have my car fixed. I told them I was without a car for three weeks last May and now 11 weeks without a fully functional car. Infiniti offered me a $100.00 discount for future repairs. This is my opinion is an insult. Normally, I would have gotten rid of the car after this last fiasco. My problem is that I really enjoy driving the M45 sport. The car is a dream to drive and the dealership that I am using for service is a pleasure. The dealership is highly professional and their service is outstanding. My problem is not with the dealership it is with Infiniti corporate. I will definitly not drive the Infiniti after the warranty period. Up until May of last year, I had every intention to keep this car until the next generation M comes out or I was going to purchase the Q50. Now I would never buy another Infiniti again. The cars are great and are of high quality but they have no parts for the high end card. I am really curious if other M45 owners are having similar problems with obtaining parts. In May 2009 my car will be 4 years old and I will get rid of it. I have no idea what I will purchase. I am going to look at the Cadillac CTS V. Maybe it is time to go back to an American car and support our economy. At least I will not have to wait almost three months for parts.
    What was the part you needed? Couldn't they get one from a wreck to install temporarily?
  • markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    In May 2007 it was a part that had to do with the throttle. The part could not be located anywhere in North America. In early November 2007 the GPS system went out and it took 11 weeks for a part to arrive. Again, there were no parts in North America. These are the only two problems I have had with the car.
  • bondibondi Member Posts: 9
    DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON UPGRADING YOUR GPS VERSION 7.1 TO THE NEW 7.3. I JUST PAID $197 FOR IT FROM WWW. ZENRIN.COM. ON MY TRIP FROM NEW ENGLAND TO FLORIDA IT COULD NOT FIND NEAR BY PLACES OFF RTE 95 THAT WERE AT THE NEXT EXIT A FEW MILES AWAY. IT WOULD TELL ME TO GO 30 +/- MILES FOR THE CLOSEST. THIS PROBLEM FINDING GAS STATIONS, RESTAURANTS AND HOTELS CONTINUED FOR THE ENTIRE TRIP. AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK FROM ZENRIN. ONCE YOU OPEN THE DVD YOU OWN IT!!!!
    Well I picked up my car last night after the dealer had it for a week and found that they had not changed the steering rack but they replaced all four(4) Goodyear tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4's at no cost to me. I test drove the car with the service manager and was suprisingly pleased. The "wandering effect" of the car was greatly reduced to the point where it was acceptable to me. When the car encounters deep gully's on the road it goes with the road but the corrective steering you need to apply is now minimized and the car doesn't jerk from side to side. The service advisor met with the Infiniti rep while my car was in there shop and the rep was very interseted in my particular car because the 07's supposidly contain the "new steering rack" which was a fix for this problem in the 06 model year. My car was a late production date car and it contained the new rack-verified by part #. Infiniti is replacing tires on the 07 and 08's that have this steering problem.......

Go to the dealer and test drive your car with a service advisor.........Infiniti is not officially claiming that there is a problem with this car, but we know better... Hey I'm from da Bronx..we don't get mad we get even....

The steering rack in my car was also "re-calibrated" in there shop and to tell you the truth it does feel better. I only put on about 50 miles since I got it back ....I will keep you posted
    There should be a general recall of all 2006 MX35s. Complaints are on consumerreports.org boards.

You are fortunate they replaced your tires. If I lease a new one next year I will not take Goodyear OEMs. They should be recalled too.

If there are 10 complaints on message boards there must be hundreds driving an uncontrollable M35X. maybe thousands sufferring in silence.
    It pretty much made sense that the tires were the main culprit in the M's "tramlining" problems. I have RSAs on my G35 Coupe and it too likes to wander and drift at highway speeds. It would be the easy way out for Infiniti to just replace the tires for those who have these issues.
  • art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    I have a similar problem with my 2006 M35X--I am going to complain AGAIN on my next service visit.

This is indeed a great forum.
    I have Goodyear Eagle RSA's on my M35x '06 car. I have decreased the tire pressure to about 35 lbs.......took it to the mountains again this weekend and it still is "swaying". Are you all saying that its this brand of tires that is the culprit. Did someone say they got their car replaced with all Michelin tires at no charge by Infiniti?
    My service rep told me the steering rack is a sealed unit and not serviceable by the dealer. My salesman said they have had a lot of trouble with the Goodyears. See bad rating on tirerack.com. Maybe this is a hush hush corporate damage control matter for fear of a recall.
    My brandy spankin new 07' M35x had the tires replaced at no charge to me. The new tires are Michelan Primacy MXV4 and they are 1000 times better than the stock Goodyears. The 06' M35x did however have a problem with the steering rack so you might have two(2) problems. Go to your dealer and test drive the car with them... insist that the problem be corrected. Good luck..

07' M35X w/Tech & aero package DG/G
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    I assume you are not adjusting the seat when you hear the noise? Sounds obvious but I used to hear a pop every time I adjusted my seat backwards (also if you select the automatic exit option when the steering wheel moves forward and seat moves back). The driver's seat was backing into the front edge of the mats of the seat in back of the driver's seat.
  • dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    Is anyone having the issue with the poor performance of the climate control system on the M series? It seems to always be too or too cold, and never seems to sense the outside temperature correctly and compensate accordingly. My 99 Toyota Avalon had much better climate control (and real heated seats). It seems others have this problem too, but no dealer will admit it, or better yet, fix it.
    :mad:
    Of the cars that I've owned with an automatic climate control, my M is probably the worst. It isn't horrible, but not up to the performance of the other cars I've owned. I don't mind the performance of the heated seats, and the cooling in the summer is really nice. One thing I don't understand is that the Maxima has a heated steering wheel, but the M doesn't even seem to offer it. I tend to keep my cars a long time, but am not sure if this one will follow the trend. Their choices aren't as logical as I would expect. Another thing that bothers me is the instrument lighting. There are times you want to run with your lights on in the daytime...this can make the center display quite dim. A photo cell is cheap to keep the contrast and apparant intensity consistent regardless of the ambient lighting. It doesn't need to turn all of the interior lights on and activate the dash prompts when you say open the back door either...my last Audi could tell you which door was opened, and only turned the lights on for that part of the car when you opened the door. Last gripe, my snow tires are quieter than the stock all-season tires (Goodyears). There's no excuse to put those tires on a car of this league.
  • c5_4func5_4fun Member Posts: 59
    I've had my 2006 M35x for 2 years and have generally loved the car, other than the gas mileage, but not the end of the world.
    However, recently I moved to Indianapolis and drive on a highway every day where I get tossed around similar to the tire/steering posts; it's really dangerous and never experienced it before! I guess I'm going to complain to the dealer and then buy tires before I get pulled over for "swerving" when all I'm trying to do is hang on tight.

In the past month, several times my stereo goes silent and none of the stereo controls work, not the a/c, no backup camera and basically nothing on the center stack works although the readout on the screen stays the same with the stereo station and whatever else I had showing. My door handle lock and unlock don't work either. Then after I park and come out after a while, everything is fine as if no problem. I'm concerned I'll get the "can not duplicate problem". Has anyone experienced such a problem and what was the cure?

Thanks for the help.
    As I said before the 2006 M35X should be RECALLED for steering rack inspection.
    I was at the dealer this week regarding the tires again and rumor is that Infiniti is getting ready to do a recall on the M35 2006. While I was there, they did check the steering rack and confirmed that mine seems to be okay. Had them lower tire pressure to 33 psi and its riding fine now.

As for your other console problems, I had something similar happening where the car would not start - console was dead, and sometimes radio would start then go dead, I would leave the car for awhile come back and everything was fine. After about 3 trips to the dealer because car was failing, the issue was there was a very loose wire in the console - you could have a faulty wire too. I have no idea what is going on with your door locks.
    The climate control on my '07 M35 sux too. Highway cruising in the summer requires 78 or 79 degrees to keep from freezing me out. Winter time = 70-72 degrees to avoid heat stroke. The climate control is very poor. My '98 Grand Prix GTP was 100Xs more accurate.
  • shragatshragat Member Posts: 4
    I have an 07 M35x and have experienced the steering problems. On some roads I feel like I am just going to swing off the road. My wife refuses to drive the car. I had a wheel alignment done a few months ago with 7,000 miles and it didn't help. The service rep at the dealer said it's a common complaint and suggested new tires will solve the problem. He said the Goodyears that come with the car are too stiff and other customers solved the problem by buying different tires.

I called a different dealer and their service manager said the same thing. They gave me a discount on new tires for my troubles, so I gave up and brought the car in today to have new tires put on.

The idea of having to buy new tires for my new car to drive straight really gets my goat. The car should drive straight on the tires it comes with.
    Did they check the steering rack? You may have a 2006 rack part on a 2007.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    This whole mess with the car being caught in ruts and not steering straight sounds like a recall in the making. If the solution is new tires, then Infiniti should provide them FREE. I would be thinking about suing Infiniti in small claims court...that could be interesting. Do make sure that you require the service manager who told you that a) they hear this alot and b) the solution is different tires to the hearing :) This is a safety issue.

Seems like all of you folks should be writing to the NHTSA....
  • shragatshragat Member Posts: 4
    I don't think they checked the steering rack. I got the new tires and another alignment. If it doesn't solve the problem, I'll have them check the steering rack.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    A new steering rack is a warranty item. The bad ones were from 2006 but you may still need one.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

D.O.T. complaint page for defective autos.
    I've owned my 2007 M35 Base/Luxury (fully optioned) for a little over a year. I bought (well, actually Leased) it new and it has a little over 16k on the clock. Here is my unbiased assessment of the vehicle. I know I'll get a lot of "hate mail" over this, but hopefully this post will help someone considering buying this make an informed decision. Oh, and if anyone has an solutions for my "dislikes" I'd love to hear them.

Dislikes:

1. Traction Control: Way too intrusive for a sport sedan - even when switched "off."
    2. Traction Control Switches: The bank of switches that control the traction control are located by the driver’s left knee and are almost impossible to see when seated behind the wheel. You have to take your eyes off the road and crane your neck down and to your left to see the switches. There is no way you should ever try to manage any of these switches while the car is in motion. This is an inexcusable ergonomic flaw.
    3. All doors must be closed before the car will lock remotely. My $25k GM takes the command and waits until all doors are closed, then locks the car. Inexcusable.
    4. Transmission: Slooow doooownshifts. Do not under any circumstances pull out in front of fast moving traffic unless you are dead stopped or otherwise 100% sure you are in 1st gear. Inexcusable.
    5. Fuel Mileage. Why does the engine turn 3200 rpm @ 80 mph? Every other similarly-sized DOHC V6 I know of turns over 2400 rpm or so at 80. Could this be why the car only gets 23 mpg highway?
    6. Engine. This is a high-revving DOHC motor. You will not feel the off-the-line grunt of a traditional push-rod motor. This motor does not really get going until about 4000 rpm (see below).
    7. Audio Controls. The only way to single-step through the XM radio stations is to turn the tuning knob on the face of the radio. Dealer says this is the only way. I should be able to program a button on the steering wheel to do this – like I can on my wife’s Caddy CTS. And no mute button? Are you kidding me? Unacceptable in a $50k car.
    8. Bose Audio. What a lousy system. People hear “Bose” and go all ga-ga. The only time it sounds excellent is on one or two 5.1 DVDs I own. CDs and XM sounds tinny and cheap. Even worse on regular FM. This system is way, way, WAY over hyped and overpriced (like most of Bose’s product line). If I didn’t have a kid in college and another going in a few years I’d rip the whole thing out and install a quality system.
    9. Distance Sensing Cruise Control. It does okay, but still gets confused on a curve. It also runs right up behind a slower moving car and slams on the brakes. When the coast is once again clear, the throttle application snaps your neck. It could be a little more smooth.
    10. The automatic head lights do not switch on when the wipers are turned on. Isn’t it common sense that you need headlights when it’s raining? Many states have statutes requiring it. Also, when not raining the on/off threshold seems to change from day to day. Some days I’m in almost full sunlight and the headlights won’t go off. Of course that means I can't see the instruments b/c they are dimmed for nighttime driving. Tried the adjustment, but it doesn’t make that much difference.

1. Snob Factor: Let’s face it – one of the reasons to by this car is the snob factor. When you drive up in the M you get a lot of attention. It is an impressive looking car inside and out.
    2. Suspension: This car has a sweet chassis and sport-tuned suspension. It has more capability than 99% of the drivers who will ever sit behind the wheel (that includes me).
    3. Engine. Ah, the engine. Very sweet especially north of 4000 rpm. Smooth as silk with linear power all the way to redline.
    4. Voice Recognition. Once you get the hang of it, the V/R is very nice. It also feeds into #1 above.
    5. Interior cabin. Very classy inside.
    6. Navigation System. Good nav system logic that hardly ever gets me lost (unlike Hertz’ “Foreverlost” system). Very good in the boonies. When approaching a turn, the “countdown bar” on the left side of the screen is really handy.
    7. Rear backup camera: I never turn around when I back up. Now I hate driving other cars without this feature.
    8. Wireless key fob. How nice not to have to dig around in your pocket to unlock the car or to start the engine.
    9. Reliability. This car has performed flawlessly every day I’ve owned it. No drama. Just start it and go and perform regular maintenance.

All in all it is a good car and I'm happy with the purchase. Will I buy another when my lease is up in 2 yrs? That jury is still out.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    I would add "significant crippling of navigation function if car is moving" to your excellent list of dislikes. In many cases, you actually have to stop the car to set the navigation system.

I would also add "poor bluetooth...echos" to that list.

Also, if one changes the airflow on one side of the car, you are taken out of automatic so there is no more automatic fan setting, recirculate/outside air switching or dash vent setting changes.

I have never had the headlights turn on in automatic until it's so dark that everyone else has their headlights on. This is just unsafe....

I've made my decision...when my lease is up, I'm leaving Infiniti