Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• memreomemreo Posts: 2
    The dealer is not charging me for anything at this point and all receipts show as warranty. They are telling me (as of yesterday) that the trips I make in the car are too short and the engine never really gets a chance to warm up. I live at least 15 miles from my office and drive the car quite a bit during the day in town. I think they are trying to cover themselves at this point. With only 59,000 miles, I hate to get rid of the car, but I also hate to think that I will need to carry a couple of quarts of oil in the trunk. I also know that this is going to get worse.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Posts: 378
    Do you mean 5,900 miles?
  • geungergeunger Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 GS 300. My wife had a VW Beetle that got water in the carpet and started smelling bad. The other day she told me that the Lexus was starting to smell the same. We checked, and the carpet on the passenger side (front) was wet. I had my son remove the mat, which was also wet, and soak up as much water as possible.

Today I asked my wife if the carpet was dry, and she did not know, so I checked. It was very wet! However, only the carpet directly on the floor is wet. If you check the front of that carpet, either side, or the part under the seat, those sections are all dry. All of the other carpet in the car is dry.

We suspected clogged drains in the VW, and after we cleared them that seemed to solve the problem. However, I can't see any clogged drains on the Lexus. It has rained pretty hard here the last two days, so I suspect that the water is coming in when it rains, but I just can't see how.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    If the center of the carpet only is wet, one would have to suspect the sunroof, which is the only drip location that makes sense, right? A clogged sunroof drain could cause such a leak.

There are two types of clogged drains as well. One beneath the fresh air vents (under the wipers) and another that drains off condensation from the AC. This drain might leak from behind the console to the center of the mat.
    I thought about the sunroof, but if it were actually leaking there the water would fall onto the seat. The sunroof is well to the rear of the carpet. It does not appear that the sunroof is leaking in any case.

When I put water into the vents below the wipers on the passenger side, it ran out a couple of places on the bottom of the car. The hole that is apparently the main drain outlet had some debris in it, so I cleaned it out. I suspect that was the problem. The outlet hole on the driver's side was pretty much clear. It does seem like the water runs through some cracks on both sides in addition to the main vent hole. When I put water in the center vent below the wipers it also ran out of a hole in one of the (metal) "channels" that run along the bottom. I suppose this is normal, but I don't know for sure.

We just had a cold front come through or I would check the AC condensation drain. It will certainly get hot here (central Texas) shortly, so I can check that later.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    Did you have your windshield replaced recently?
    I had the water leaked underneath the dashboard on the passenger side after having a windshield replaced for a couple
    years on my 89 Accord.
    The leak was not severe so I didn't do anything. Then the next
    windshield replacement fixed the problem.
    The windshield has not been replaced, but I will do some additional checking around the seal.

We took a long trip yesterday with the air conditioner running the whole time, and we did not get any water in the carpet. So I'm pretty sure that's not it an AC drain leak.

Thanks.
    Does the leak only happen when it rains?
    How's about put some paper/newspaper on the carpet to see where the water
    drips?
  • tom17tom17 Posts: 134
    I just bought a new GS350. What a great car! But when I put my factory CD's (not copies or MP3's), the system does not display the CD name & track info. I can get to the menu where the info is supposed to be but it says "". They work fine when inserted into my PC (displays info for every track). Looked thru the manual which says the data is supposed to be displayed automatically. Anyone seen this before and know the fix? Thanks.
  • I just finished the extended warranty i tink it was 8 yrs. It saved us tons of money b/c i moved the car from phily to LA and the moving company must have bottomed out the car b/c when i got to la had to replace the intermediate pipe, and the front bushings on my strut. Just 11 months after the bushings had to replaced, when i picked it up from the dealer the car started making clunking creaking noises, but when i went in 2 days later they kinda disappeared, however the steering now feels a lot more vague than before. Anyone know what to do, the service is still covered for another 11 months
  • Hi ,

I recently brought a GS AWD . However I feel the engine too loud and can hear the humm inside the vehicle. Thought my earlier Camry was better shielded for noise.

Is this common for a GS ? Thats what the dealer personnel said.
  • tom17tom17 Posts: 134
    Maybe they increased the sound deadening between 06 & 08, but my 08 GS350 has to have the least engine noise of any car I have ever owned (incl Infiniti, Cadillac & Lincoln). Totally silent amazing (for a V6) power.
  • i have a gs430 manufactured in jan 2005 the steering rack failed in july 2008 i have discovered that lexus have admitted that gs300 and gs430 manufactured in jan feb and march 2005 were fitted with faulty rack the europeon investigated and found that the magnets were not properly attached to the power steering rotor i am still trying to get lexus to compensate me as i was 13 days outside warranty.despite it was their fault!!!!! and my car was manufactured in jan 2005!!!!!so much for service
  • The Seat Belt Tensionier on my 07 GS 350 AWD (I think that's what its called) on the car frame (next to my left ear) has started rattling. I took it to the dealer and they said they can hear anything. Has anyone else had this problem? It is really annoying since it is right next to my left ear.

Thanks,
    Rick in St. Louis, MO
    Once in a while I heard a creaking noise. Around the area
    you mentioned. Since it didn't happen all the time I can't pinpoint
    the location. It happens only when the outside temp is around
    30F+
  • terence4terence4 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have 2002 GS300 with a similar problem on the driver side. I think your tech. finding of missing a body plug is the most logical answer to my problem as well. Can you please tell me where is the body plug is located.
    Thank you
  • gigikashgigikash Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 GS300-when I put in Drive the motor revs but the car won't move. This last about 15secs. Shift back in park seems to be okay. Also when driving car everything will be fine-get to a stop sign-car will hesitate when pulling out. The car has 60,000 miles. Had transmission flushed-new fluid. Fluid looked good.. Is this a transmission problem or fuel system problem? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Brian
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    I have a 2000 GS-400 and it does exhibit similar behavior occasionally. Also 60K miles, also had the trans fluid changed. This happens once in a while, almost feels like the transmission is not fully engaged in gear. I find that shifting to D while holding down the brake, and not releasing the brake until feeling the tranny fully engaged, usually prevents this from happening. It takes 1-2 seconds.
  • I have a 2009 Lexus GS 350 AWD, that from day one at highway speeds pulls to the left. I have had it back to the dealer 3 different times. The last time they replaced the "Caster Bracket" on both sides. I still have the same problem. Has anyone else experienced the same problem. If so what was done to correct the problem.
  • uscfanuscfan Posts: 4
    I have a 07 gs 350 and my car pulls to the right. I have had it since it was new. in addition, since it has been pulling to the right(dealer had no answer for it). my tires on the right side are wearing on the inside about 25% faster than the rest of my tires. Dealer told me that was normal.(?????) Granted I drive 30k miles a year( I have 94k as of today) so for me to make a fuss with the dealer its hard especially when my miles are piling up faster than my warranty couild handle. i dont know what to tell you but it is annoying as heck. Keep your eye on your tire wear and have them rotated every 10,000 miles(flipped rotated, dealer will only rotate them front to back, have a reputable tire guy in your area cross flip them and you will pay 80 bucks instead of 200 at the dealer.. this will save you about 5k to 10k depending on your driving. sorry I dont have the exact answer but I feel you. Otherwise the car is great. hetting 30 mpg to 33 mpg on the highway. hit me back if you get it solved..