Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I was just about to delete this section from my message center. Almost posted earlier about too much crap and grow up everyone. But now I know what's up.

John
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Please don't stoop to the level of some with name-calling and labels...

kcram - Pickups Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    i'm a ford guy, last time i try to help out a 'ridge owner. the whining was worse thn my kids. fwiw, the problem was most likely with the ball that connects to the trailer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Blown fuse was the reason why my trailer light connection ain't working according to the senior mechanic who look at it. Even his expertise was so screwed up because he moved the supposedly two extra fuses to fix the trailer light and brake connection on the trailer hitch. Apparently one of the "EXTRA" fuses he moved around was for the TPMS.So another two hours in the delears lot my RL stayed tp remedy the TPMS fiasco. I give up,my RL ownership is apparently cursed. Just waiting that regular gas hits $3.00 and am trading this RL for a sedan. :sick: :sick:
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Just waiting that regular gas hits $3.00 and am trading this RL for a sedan.

Just curious... If you're now considering a sedan, why did you buy a pickup in the first place? If gas reachs $3.00, why not just get a smaller more economical 4-cylinder truck? That's assuming you need a truck, that is.

Bob
    My common sense suggested a CRV while considering the RL since it's not that bad on gas and has tons of safety features. For my Home Depot needs I planned to buy a trailer that I could attach to the Pilot.

The RL was a product of whim,hate to drive a CRV while daydreaming about an RL for the next ten years, besides no 4 banger offers an exact replica of the RL's Fort Knox like safety features. No 4 banger truck from any company has curtain airbags, side airbags, and 5 star crash test ratings front and side.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My gut feeling is that many of the problems some owners are experiencing are nothing more than v.1.0 issues. I know that's not comforting to hear if you're one of those affected, but it sometimes goes with the territory whenever you buy a first-year model, be it from Honda or any other carmaker.

Bob
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    i'm a ford guy, last time i try to help out a 'ridge owner. the whining was worse thn my kids. fwiw, the problem was most likely with the ball that connects to the trailer.

It was so nice of a superior Ford guy like yourself to stop and help one of us little whining Honda Ridgeline owners. I'm sorry that will be the last time for you. The loss will be felt throughout the community for a long time to come I suspect.

When your house is in flames because of that faulty cruise switch in your Ford. I assure you I will risk my life to haul your screaming butt out of your burning house if I'm in the vicinity.
    My gut feeling is that many of the problems some owners are experiencing are nothing more than v.1.0 issues.

I only hope my version 2.0 Ridgeline is as excellent and trouble free as my version 1.0 Ridgeline
    I give up,my RL ownership is apparently cursed. Just waiting that regular gas hits $3.00 and am trading this RL for a sedan.

.........just to point out, all the problems you've had are not problems with your RL, but with mechanic error. Your RL has been trouble free. Your dealer installed accessory has not.

Also, your pinching pennies for gas and bought an RL???? Your free to spend your money on any vehicle you'd like of course, it's just a little puzzling.
    I have to admit that most of my problems are caused by the delearship with the exception of my two doors that is obviously a factory flaw. Wouldn't close unless slammed. The funny part is I'm beginning to slam all doors, may it be my house, my other cars and of course the 4 doors of my RL, not just the two. When you are wasting many DAYS OFF AND VACATION CREDIT day in a delearships waiting area, the line separating whose at fault Honda or the delearship gets blurred.HONDAS FAILURE TO EDUCATE THEIR DELEARSHIPS MECHANICS TO DO STUFF RIGHT THE FIRST TIME IS STILL THEIR ULTIMATE RESPONSIBILITY.

I am a transplant from Asia who once had the good life, got poverty stricken when my dad died but got back to my feet thanks to education:the great equalizer.The fear of getting poor again made me a penny pincher in a lot of ways, but when it comes to my cars my budget gets busted.Besides I bought the RL when I believe the lowest regular gas was $1.89.I never thought I would literally see it climb a few cents everytime I gas up.Truck ownership is fun but pricey. At least I get to experience it once in my lifetime while my pocket can still afford it.At $3.00 a gallon, plus more UNSCHEDULED delearship visits ain't worth keeping this RL anymore. :cry:
  • spritegeezerspritegeezer Member Posts: 3
    White is just about the most difficult color to match. The substrate has a big impact on the percieved shading. There are many "shades" of white. My father-in-law had a Ford pickup that was the most yellow "white" I ever saw. I personnally like the very blue white of the RL. If you can, check the label on a can of automotive paint (the real stuff, not the patch junk). It will usually list three colors in the mix. Combine that with the different primers required for the plastic, steel and aluminum and you have a painters nightmare. You will never get a "perfect" match unless you sink $10,000 into the job. You sure won't get it from the factory. Any factory. ;) ">
  • cridercrider Member Posts: 8
    Just an update to MY leaky ridge.I was contacted by Honda last night and advised that they are going to replace my vehicle, finally some goods news.I love the truck,just a fluke with certain vehicles.Hope to be in my new truck in 2 weeks.

There's hope after all,it just takes longer that we would like. :)
    Just an update to MY leaky ridge.I was contacted by Honda last night and advised that they are going to replace my vehicle, finally some goods news.I love the truck,just a fluke with certain vehicles.Hope to be in my new truck in 2 weeks.

Wow!! That's great news. Honda really stepped up top the plate and knocked it out of the park. I love to hear good stories about corporate responsibility. I haven't had any problems with my RL, but Honda of America called me and spent almost an hour with me on the phone making sure I liked my truck, and how I would improve it if I could. The only problem I could dig out of my head was that I had a little static on the AM radio station which has since gone away by itself. The rep wanted me to take it to the dealer (I just didn't want the dealer touching my truck). They called me back 4 days later and wanted to know if it was taken care of with a message on my machine. I never returned her call because it just wasn't a problem to me. She called me back in person a week after that and wanted to make sure it was right. I assured her it would be fine. I've got her number, I feel like I have a friend at Honda corporate. This is in contrast to the horrible support stories I hear about Toyota. I've got 2 Toyota vehicles that are trouble free so I haven't had to deal with Toyota, but I'm impressed with Honda Hounding me about this issue that wasn't a issue. They've won me as a customer, but I realize that a Honda dealer is separate from Honda and they can give good service or bad. at least I feel I know how to sick Honda on them if that happens. I was definitly left with the impression that I will be treated right if I ever have a problem. I guess they achieved their aim. As a result of this interaction, when ever Honda is mentioned I get a warm fuzzy feeling.

I hear they also ar changing their warranty from 3 year 36,000 to 5 year 60,000 miles which is retroactive to all RL owners. This combined with their safety for all program will benefit them a great deal.
  • aewjaewj Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all posters at the Ridgeline forum. Before taking delivery, I was able to check for water leaks, door operation, and transmission fluid leaks plus I avoided buying the tonneau cover and roofrack altogether. Your advise showed me what to look for in addition to the 'normal' inspection and test drive before buying. I rate mine a 10!
    Congratulations, enjoy your RL. I think your rating is pretty accurate. In the sea of blandness of SUVs and Trucks the RL is some excitement that stands out from the crowd.
  • ridgeline_2006ridgeline_2006 Member Posts: 19
    Need help... Can you please call this lady back (Honda Rep) and ask her about the trip computer (trip advisor) on the NAV. This feature is disabled. If possible can I have her number. Many thanks.......
    Note: My friend has a MDX with NAV, his NAV looks exactly like the Ridgeline (the only different is Ridgeline NAV has a H, MDX has an A for Acura). The trip advisor is enabled on his MXD.
    There is no trip meter on the RL with nav, I doubt she can make one magically appear. On that issue you would be better served to go to the Ridgeline owners club (google it). I've heard of some possible work arounds there. I doubt they'll work though.
  • geoffreybgeoffreyb Member Posts: 1
    The clutch on my 97 4-door LX Accord makes a clicking sound when I press in the clutch. The Honda Mechanic (Dealer) told me that it is nothing to worry about and that it is just the switch making the sound.

Is the clicking sound from the switch something I need to worry about? It is the original clutch with 127,000 + miles.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Uhh wrong forum.
  • swilson1swilson1 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased my Ridgeline last week and need bike and kayak racks for multiple bikes and multiple kayaks. Also have read reviews from this forum on reractable cover. Anyone found any other covers that work well? How about roof racks for kayaks as Honda's only carries one kayak. Lost a Chevy Avalanche in Hurricane Dennis storm surge :cry: and replaced with Ridgeline :) . My wife misses the Avalanche but fillups should cheer her up.
  • vtervter Member Posts: 4
    Good luck on the Kayak racks. I was at a Hobie dealer and was going to purchase 2 kayaks. The Fisherman Outback and the Lanai for the wife. The Honda roof rack will not accommodate these. The contacted Yakima and Thule to get some sort of retrofit but no luck. The Roofrack is narrow and short (front to back rail spacing). Tried the Hulley roller from the back also. NO GO. :cry:

Maybe Yakima and Thule will have something for next Spring.
  • beatmonbeatmon Member Posts: 1
    I just got my truck back after having completely saturated front and back carpet. When I left it at the dealership, the first comment was that "we had those 70 mile an hour winds last night" insinuating that the wind blew in the water. The finally found a "plug" problem in the front wheel well. Should I expect to still have a leak around that back brake light? I have already had that pulled off for a loud whistle which they first tried to tell me was a normal turbulence noise. A clip was broken and had to be replaced and sealed, so I don't know for sure if that will leak or not. How many times were you in the shop before that decided you had a lemon? I now have a problem when I accelerate from a coast of a slight hesitation and a jerk. The truck did not do this the first 10,000 miles but I am told " this is normal".(Also have had to replace a panel of leather on the driver seat.) I would appreciate any advice from those who have already experienced these problems. Thanks beatmon
  • maddog13maddog13 Member Posts: 5
    WRT to the hesitation and jerk, I have experienced this twice in the past month. It is pretty mild, but it surprised me because of how smoothly this truck normally accelerates.

I also SOMETIMES hear a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel, especially at low speeds (in parking lots). It feels like the steering wheel has 16 or 32 positions and each time you pass a "position" you get a little click, similar to the ratchet on a screwdriver. Has anyone else noticed this?

My truck now has just over 4000 miles on it. Overall, I couldn't be happier. :)
    Just to give you some hope in the leak area.I met with the arbitration service yesterday,apparently Honda uses an outside company.We agreed to an equity swap,So I'm now driving an Amazon Green RTL.this last phase took 45 days and was frustrating at times but the end result was worth it.
    The action was initated by Honda without resorting to the Lemon Law.And I'm thankful that every thing turned out well,unlike another experience with a domestic manufacturer some 12 years ago.The dealership and the regional were a big help as they are local and can confirm the existance of the problem and aid you in cortrecting it.Good luck on solving your problem. :)
  • doorman1doorman1 Member Posts: 5
    Help, I am headed back to the dealer for the 4th time for leaking. I can get no where with the dealer or Honda except bring it in and we will try again. This is the last try then it is Lemon Law time in Tennessee. Any advice? Thanks Doorman
    Try to get the service manager to get involved.Honda has a problem with some units,and the problem seems to be related to the manufacture of the vehicle and any service department fix is a band aid solution,at lest it was in my case.

Honda and the dealership doesn't like negative publicity,so hang in there and don't weaken,after all all you want is what they were supposed to deliver.I had my last rental vehicle for 45 days,and was getting comfortable driving the Mitsu endeavor.Corporate mentallity some times defies logic as you would think that Honda would like to solve the problem and have another happy customer selling their truck.
  • ridgeline_2006ridgeline_2006 Member Posts: 19
    Ridgeline Owners:
    The trip computer/trip advisor was disable by Honda so I wrote a letter to Honda and yesterday a lady called me and ask me if I can fax her the picture of this trip computer picture to her from the honda brochure. Do any of you have this picture? If so please let me know, I would to have a copy to this and fax this to her. thanks.
    or email me at beer33_va@hotmail.com
  • hazcathazcat Member Posts: 16
    If they are really boneheaded about your leak, Staples has blank magnetic signs on which you can write any message you want. Nothing libelous, though. I'm thinking, "This truck has a bad water leak and Podunk Honda will not fix it" might be nice on your doors.

Hey, it worked for some bad sod my sister had installed. It looked like crap, so we had a sign out, "Landscaping by Bubba's Landscaping Company." It got replaced and rolled properly.
  • hazcathazcat Member Posts: 16
    Washed my truck the other day because it had a finger print on it :P and the passenger side headlamp fogged up inside. It cleared up in a couple of hours. Of course, I have an appointment at the dealer despite Mr. Service Appointment Guy asking me why that was a problem.

Has anyone else had that happen?
  • themaskedriderthemaskedrider Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this board and am thinking about getting a new Ridgeline. Please tell me more about this computer/trip advisor and WHY Honda would disable it. AND, is this something they did on ALL the new Ridgelines? Actually, I'm looking to find all the Pros & Cons about the Ridgeline. Big hunk of change to spend if there are a lot of problems. Thanks
    555, please don't post chain letter contents in the Forums... it's bad enough we all get them in our emails, but we do try to keep these things out of the message boards.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • sabersaber Member Posts: 5
    I took delivery on my Ridgeline (RTL S/R w/Nav) in Jun and have 10K+ highway and city (MD-DC-VA) miles on it. Thankfully, it has performed as solidly as my 04 Pilot (38K+) and 96 Accord (155K+ mi). The only problems I’ve had are with the Ridgeline are the fender flare accessories. The adhesive used to give it a tight fit against the truck body has not held properly on two of the fenders. I have been extremely pleased with the service by the dealership where I made the purchase as well (Honda of Bowie, MD). The adhesive has only been loose in a small area, but because I want it to look perfect, they have gladly replaced the defective fender flares twice. Each time it’s replaced, they have to order the full set because Honda will not send just one or two fender flares. However, the service manager did state they are able to return the remaining flares for a credit.

One other note: I have not had any problems with Honda of Bowie, but if you are not happy with the answers or service given by your dealer, contact American Honda customer service (800) 999-1009. I have always received great support/service from this department. Once they approved the replacement of my Accord’s lock actuators ($300) at no cost to me, long after the warranty had expired.
  • harleyking02harleyking02 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed when my windows are rolled down and the door shut that the windows rattle excessively. More so on the front doors than the rear doors. I believe this is also the cause of a small vibration noise I hear in the door when driving. Asked Dealer to check when I had the truck in for 7500 service. The line I got from them was that this was "normal" and is the same on all trucks. We tested several and sure enough they all rattled. Also noted the same problem in the Honda Pilot. The dealer says no adjustment to fix although they can not explain why the rear doors seem to have less of a problem then the front doors.

Am I the only one that is annoyed by the rattling windows?

I also had/have the problem with the Front door closing. I have to slam it shut hard for it to close properly. Again the dealer/service tells me this is normal. Actually they told me it is cause by cabinet pressure and I should roll the window down slightly prior to closing the door and it will work fine,,,give me a break..

I did have an experience with water on the passenger floor. My dealer was not aware of any issue nor I when I brought it in. They had a "water expert' check it with no problem found. Fortunately I have not experienced the problem again but then I have not gone through a car wash nor have we had any rain lately... will watch closer.
  • europ91europ91 Member Posts: 13
    Harley,

I have not noticed any windows rattling on my RTS.

Did the dealership really tell you that if you wind down the window a little the doors will close easier? This is a truly ridiculous suggestion. Did they suggest to put a tarp over your Ridgeline to stop the water leak?

All 4 of my doors open and close easily although I have read posts in the past on these boards about doors that were hard to close.

I have also read about water leaks but I believe that they were all on the drivers side. My understanding was that there was a series of Ridglines made that had a bad weld which caused the leak. My dealer said that they were aware of this problem and it was limited to vehicles made during a certain timeframe. Once again there are a lot of postings that address this issue on this board.
  • marcus16marcus16 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry, I don't think it's a big deal. If you want perfection, your on the wrong planet. It's fixed so enjoy your Ridgeline, or I guess you could just keep complaining. Once your trauma wears off, I think you'll enjoy your truck immenseley. It's a great truck. That's why you bought it.

I have to disagree with you also. This would definitely be a big deal for any owner. I have owned several Hondas and like to trumpet their virtues, but I think you may be crossing the "Honda zealot" line by discounting this so easily.
  • bishop0802bishop0802 Member Posts: 5
    Saber, I'm in Annapolis and looking for a Ridgeline. Your experience at Bowie sounds good, anyone I should ask for by name?
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    MARCUS.............If you read thru this thread you will find that ANY
    'ridge owner with problems is quickly dismissed and chased away
    as a troublemaker or just plain crazy.
    You should know hondas NEVER have problems........................LOL!

Sad but true........................ :cry:
  • robert126robert126 Member Posts: 1
    I too have experienced hesitation from 1st to 2nd occurring from a rolling stop. Honda people tell me it is a Honda and it is normal. I drove two other trucks and yes they did the same, however I am not sure this makes it right?? Toyotas shift without hesitation.
  • canwincanwin Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Ridgeline for about 6 months and love it. I noticed about two weeks ago that the floor on the front passenger side was wet. Reading this forum lead me to beleive the problem was that minor defect that was noted by others. Well they fixed it. Now the floor under the back seat is wet. I am bringing the truck to the dealer tomorrow to have this addressed. Is there a known problem in this area also? I love this truck but hate type of issues.
  • danio3834danio3834 Member Posts: 6
    Honda Rigelines are indeed the worst "truck" on the market. They cannot stand up to any abuse and have many quality issues. Yet people continute to believe in the myth of Honda and import superiority.

Anyone who buys a Honda or import is not supporting the North American economy and is literally sending their money overseas and out of the pockets of their neighbors. All Rigeline owners should trade in their front wheel drive bias, V6, unitbody, Accord with ground clearance to a Chevrolet dealer for a real truck made at the highest rated assembly plant in North America. At least then you wont be selling out to the Japanese and maybe we can keep some of the North American jobs and money right here in North America.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Here we go back in time. Ridglines are built in Canada. Accords in the US. Who do you think work at these factories? And don't tell me, all those reviews on Ridge are wrong or they were payed off by Honda. Add up the quality issues posted vs vehicles sold, small.
    Unfortunately, the profits of the Rigeline go right back to Japan. While Honda employs a couple thousand people in Canada, they employ a non unionized workforce which they pay less with less comparative benefits than their unionized counterparts at domestic plants. If someone were to buy a Chevy Silverado (also built in Canada) instead of a Rigeline they would be putting far more dollars into the North American economy.

All you need to do to see the poor quality of the Rigeline is to read the review of the long term test Rigeling on this very website. One of the editors took it on a very mild off road trail at 15 mph and all the struts blew out and had to be replaced. Who puts struts in a pickup truck anyway? There were numerous other quality issues and many of the editors disliked the "truck" and could not recommend it. Bottom line, people should support their domestic car comanies since they employ far more people in our home country and treat their employees better. Buying import cars encourages outsourcing, which means less jobs at home. If someone buys an import, they must hate America.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Bottom line, people should support their domestic car comanies since they employ far more people in our home country and treat their employees better. Buying import cars encourages outsourcing, which means less jobs at home. If someone buys an import, they must hate America."

If GM wants my (or anyone else's) business, they will have to earn it. The true American way is to be the best, and thus thrive. If Honda has managed to "out-America" the US, then the answer is to provide a better product, which GM does not provide. In my opinion.

The only reason I haven't bought a RL is that I cannot afford one, and I already own my vehicles, so I'm not in the market.

Implicit in "buy American because it is American" is the concept that America cannot provide a better product - but we should buy it anyway, a concept that I absolutely reject as being, well, un-American. I think that the US can produce the best in the world - but the "big 3" are not producing the best. The only way to get them to improve is to hit them where it counts until they get the message...
    The Big 3, particularly GM, DO build the best cars in North America. Look at the facts, GM brands are consistently in the top 10 in initial quality surveys. Buick a GM brand is second, only to Lexus, whose cars cost twice as much. GM's Oshawa Ontario assembly plant won several awards for being the most efficient and highest quality assembly plant in North America. General Motors builds some of the finest cars on the road, and in addition to being priced under their Japanese competition, GM offers incentives that lower the price even further.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a GM fanatic, Ford Chrysler and import brands build some really fine cars aswell, but why send more of our dollars to Japanese corporations who have no interest in our country other than to exploit it? I have family and neighbors who work for the Big 3, why would I take money out of their pockets? You don't need to teach GM a lesson until they "get the message", they build great cars. What people need to get off their Honda High, and realize that it hurts our economy.

The reason this thread started was because as a mechanic, I can see that the Honda Rigeline is an inferior product. It does not deserve to be compared to other trucks because it essentailly is not a truck. It has a unitized body like a car, weak strut suspension, not solid axle, leaf spring or torsion bars like a half ton truck would have. It has an 80 percent front wheel drive AWD system that as far as I can see could never handle the abuse anyone would put on a truck. If you want a truck, consider an F-150, Silverado, Ram, or if you insist on buying an import a Tundra. If you want a bulky vehicle with leaky windows and struts that blow out, buy a Rigeline. Admit it, Hondas arent what theyre cracked up to be.
    GM brands are consistently in the top 10 in initial quality surveys.
    --------------
    Initial quality surveys are PURE garbage :sick: to me, but maybe not to others. Vehicles will rarely show their problems on their first 2-3 years. Bottomline, I buy a vehicle which is most reliable 5 maybe 10 years from now.

As an Asian transplant coming from a country with a 5-10 mph/stop and go traffic, blistering heat of the sun and mini flash floods, the Fords and the Kias and a few GM's always get towed. For some reason, the Hondas and Toyotas always make it home alive. And presently having a neighbor working for a towing company with all Honda vehicles just further convinced me that the domestics still have a long way to go to be competitive to their Japanese counterparts.

Blown struts are serious, however if one or two people are the only victims, it's more of an aberration and not the norm. I hope mine won't be the next one after that Edmunds test mule.

Even if everyone else calls the Ridge a minivan with a bed, it has performed exceptionally well for me it's trucking duties within the specs of it's capacities. After test driving the Dodge Dakota (the ride made my wife seasick), the underpowered cheap interiored Colorado, the extra stiff suspensioned kidney bashing Tacoma, and the gutsy engined Frontier, the Ridge owns them all.

Hurting the economy because one buys an import is not accurate anymore. Do you know that a lot of Ford products are made in Mexico. GM is rebadging Daewoos which are made from I don't know where.OUTSOURCING HURTS THE ECONOMY? RIGHT?

I pick the Ridgeline after careful consideration of the competition.I pick the Ridgeline because of it's aura of exclusivity coz I know not many would be sold.I pick the Ridge because it would have an excellent resale.I pick the Ridge because it's got the best ride among all trucks, and it's payload of 1500 lbs is pretty much tailored to my needs.

Only time will tell if I made a good decision in my truck purchase.However seeing a neighbor with all Honda vehicles working for a towing company tells me my decision may have been a good one.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Danio........The honda faithful are gonna get upset with your comments!

Most are still in shock and denile over the Edmunds road test strut issue
    and all the water leak posts. Wait a year or 2 and the weak v-6 transmission
    issues surface.........................Not to mention paying sticker price for a
    soon to be orphan vehicle................ :lemon:

Now for the cheerleaders to chime in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
    This discussion is for specific problems with the Ridge. If tyou want to get into the whole foreign vs domestic debate, you want to head for the News and Views Board.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Local dealer is $1,500 under invoice.

Edmunds shows $1,000 Dealer Support Cash. Where is he getting the other $500?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    The reason this thread started was because as a mechanic, I can see that the Honda Rigeline is an inferior product. It does not deserve to be compared to other trucks because it essentailly is not a truck. It has a unitized body like a car, weak strut suspension, not solid axle, leaf spring or torsion bars like a half ton truck would have. It has an 80 percent front wheel drive AWD system that as far as I can see could never handle the abuse anyone would put on a truck.

Look friend, you are making unqualified judgements based on stereotypes from your personal experience. You might look at how most off-road military vehicles are configured. They are much more like the Ridgeline than a 1/2 ton pickup.

John