Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lyndaglyndag Member Posts: 7
    Go to basickoncepts.com -- they offer a tailgate lock for the Ridgeline. They also have a pretty decent hard tonneau cover for around $300. Also, you will find a lot of good information at ridgelineownersclub.com.
  • guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for the help. It looks like this is fairly easily done. My deal is back on and we will be picking up a Steel Blue RTL w/moonroof on Friday. Wish it could be done sooner as we are expecting a foot of snow by tomorrow.
    Contratulations! I also have the Steel Blue (RTS). I absolutely love this truck -- it is the most awesome vehicle I have ever owned. I know you will enjoy yours.
  • sykoklassensykoklassen Member Posts: 1
    I too am getting the same mileage as you and am quite disappointed after trading in my 318 Grand Cherokee that got 18 mpg. I would like to hear from someone that can offer a solution when the dealer just tells me that it takes sometimes 15,000 miles to see better mileage from my Honda.
  • lanwanonelanwanone Member Posts: 1
    I've a similar problem with my new RTL and will have the dealer looks at it the next time I there. It looked like either bad assembly or cheap plastic expanding/contracting.

Have you got your problem fixed? Thanks.
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    Another tip on the noisy roof rack is to be sure the cross bars are installed correctly. My friend had a pilot with noisy crossbars. The dealer installed them backwards.
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    Gas mileage should improve after about 3 to 5,000 miles.
  • bosco9bosco9 Member Posts: 16
    The rattle fixed itself! The service manager heard it....and I have it in writing that should the noise return, it will be repaired. I got 19.5 MPG on my first tank.....but I am pampering her quite a bit. :)
  • redd1redd1 Member Posts: 2
    I have over 7000 miles on my RTL. From the first time I put gas in it up to now, after the pump shuts off and you start trickling gas in the tank, it will take another 6 to 8 gallons. It’s ok in the summer time but you freeze you butt off in the winter trying to fill the thing up. P.S. I am not talking about topping it off, just filling it up. Anyone else having this problem?
  • sparksridgesparksridge Member Posts: 5
    The OEM bed cover is not too hard to remove but you do have to climb into the front part of the bed under the cover to remove a couple of bolts. It's kind of a pain to do. You probably could stand on it but if you are more than petite I wouldn't suggest it. No, the dealer can not make it water tight due to it's design. many have tried but none have succeeded that I am aware of. Personally, I have a Retrax cover that I love. It is by far the easiest to get into and out of. It also is VERY easy to install yourself and DOES NOT require any drilling or modification to the truck like the OEM cover does. The OEM cover is a major installation undertaking and requires many large holes to be drilled into the bed walls. I am a member of www.ridgelineownersclub.com and have found an amazing amount of very credible and detailed information there. If you want to know anything about bed covers (or anything else about the Ridgeline), including installation instructions and discussions about their pros and cons from actual owners as well as water tightness, check that site out. :)
    I live in Central PA where it does get cold at times. My rear window does not frost up on the inside or the outside. On the few occasions that I get into the truck with passengers with very wet clothes on, just setting the defrost mode takes care of any condensation on the windows, including the back windows, very quickly. The HVAC airflow in the Ridgeline is designed to clear the back window with just the defrost setting. Mine does the job just fine.
    It may be the tweeter covers. Just pop them off and put a little bit of double sided stickey tape on the underside of the cover. (Ya, I learned about that too on www.ridgelineownersclub.com) I haven't had that problem on my Ridgeline but I have heard that others have eliminated some squeaks from their tweeter covers with a little tape.
    Hope that helps. :)
    It is on the lower square sticker on the drivers door jamb, closest to the ground.
    Shhhhhhhh!
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    has anyone installed or seen a bed cover for the Ridgeline that rolls in and out?

is it weather proof?

thanks
    Go to www.ridgelineownersclub.com and there is a thread on the Retrax cover in the forum discussions. Most people seem pretty happy with this cover.
  • bertie2bertie2 Member Posts: 3
    Want to buy Ridgeline. I am a finish carpenter. Often have to carry lumber of 14+ feet. Does anyone know of any cross bar "trac" systems that would work with the sloping sides of the Ridgeline?
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Often have to carry lumber of 14+ feet.

If you have to do this often, I would think a separate trailer might be a better idea. It would also be more secure. Just an idea.
    bertie,
    I'm in the same boat and wondered the same thing.

one set up I saw which might work is something that plugs into the trailer hitch and extends upwards to the height of the cab. You would secure things like baseboard to it and the roof rails. This isn't for heavy framing type lumber but would support base, crown and casing.

I don't know who sells it, but you could figure it out on the net I'm sure.
  • tonkatruktonkatruk Member Posts: 11
    Double standards when it comes to quality vehicles in North America, just another case of where domestics aren't scrutenized fairly...

After reports of Odysseys, CR-Vs and Elements catching fire due to poorly located oil filters near the exhaust, a member at Blue Oval News checked out the NHTSA website. And sure enough, two 2006 Honda Ridgelines have been documented for catching fire.

From NHTSA's WebSite...

Quote:
    Make: HONDA
    Model: RIDGELINE
    Type: TRUCK
    Year: 2006
    Complaint Number: 10146750
    Summary:
    FIRE IN ENGINE BAY OF NEW HONDA RIDGELINE, DEBRIS CAUGHT BETWEEN EXHAUST AND CATALYTIC CONVERTER. MAJOR DAMAGE. BOUGHT 2ND. RIDGELINE. 2 MINOR EPISODES OF BURNING SMELL WHILE USING ON DIRT ROADS. THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE! *JB

Make: HONDA
    Model: RIDGELINE
    Type: TRUCK
    Year: 2006
    Complaint Number: 10144782
    Summary:

WE GOT OUR RIDGELINE ON MARCH 12 A FEW DAYS THAT THEY HAD BEEN OUT, ONLY THE SECOND THAT THE DUVAL HONDA HAD SOLD. AND WE HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT LOVE THAT TRUCK. ON FRIDAY 11/25/05 ON MY WAY TO WORK, I AHD BEEN DRIVING ABOUT 5-8 MINTUES AND THEN I SMELT SOMETHING A LITTLE STRANGE.........COMING OUT OF THE AC VENT. I TURNED THE HEATER OFF......THE SMELL OF SMOKE STARTED TO GET HEAVIER AND HEAVIER. I LOOKED INTO THE VENT AND NOTICED THAT THERE WAS SMOKE AND FIRE BILLOWING INSIDE.....NOT SURE WHERE IT WAS COMING FROM...I GOT OUT OF THE TRUCK, CALLED FIRE/RESCUE, AND BEGAN TO GET MOST OF THE BELONGINGS THAT I COULD. THE TRUCK WAS FULLY INVOLVED BY TIME FIRE/RESCUE ARRIVED ON SCENE. I MUST SAY THAT, BACK IN SEPTMBER I NOTICED THAT THE RADIO WHICH IS STILL STOCK WAS WIRED INCORRECTLY, I MENTIONED IT THE LAST TIME THAT I TOOK THE BABY IN FOR SERVICING. THEY SAID THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE DASH OUT AND HAVE IT RE-WIRED THE CORRECT WAY. AND THAT IT WOULD BE AN ALL DAY AFFAIR, I HAVENT HAD THE TIME TO HAVE THAT DONE, AND MY DEALER DOESNT OFFER LOANER CARS. AM I SAYING THAT THIS IS THE REASON THAT THIS HAPPENED? I AM NOT SURE. AS ANYONE HAD ANYTHING SIMULAR?? *NM

My question is...when is Honda going to do something about this? Ford got reamed in the F-series recall due to 150 or so trucks that caught fire from 1994-2003 models due to a faulty cruise control switch, but now Honda has approximately 50 or so fires (maybe more that I haven't read about) since 2003 and not a peep has been made. No recalls, few reports by the media, and no responsibility taken by Honda Motor.

If this was any domestic automaker, the outrage would reverberate throughout every publication in the nation. Instead, Hondas fires have fallen upon deaf ears, and the vehicle that earned two Truck of the Year awards is literally on fire.

The F-series fires were due to a defective switch by a Ford supplier; the Honda fires are due to poor design by Honda. Honda knows about this, but refuses to do anything besides blame the dealerships and mechanics. With Acura sales in the proverbial dumpster, criticism and slowing sales of the Accord Hybrid, and the overpriced and undercapable (and now fire-prone) Honda Ridgeline, I can't help but think that Honda is starting to slip up. The only thing propping Honda up right now is the '06 Civic...everything else is either leveling out or losing sales, according to the February 06 figures.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    The Honda fires I have heard about were caused by someone changing the oil filter, the rubber seal from the old filter remained on the adapter, and a new filter (with a seal) screwed on. Thus, an oil filter with a double seal was then on the car.

Driving then led to a massive oil leak from the double seals not actually 'sealing'. The leaking oil gets to very hot metal - exhaust manifold, cat converter, etc and catches on fire.

Did you have an oil change just before your fire?

If so, the grease monkey, err.... oil change technician, probably caused your Honda to burn up.
  • lavkalavka Member Posts: 1
    Domestic manufacturers are putting their cars together with all foreign parts so whats the difference?
    Domestic manufacturers contribute to the socio/economic growth of our country, not merely pay the workers and take everything home (Japan/Korea). The average American has not done there homework in regards to the impact that has on our economy. Furthermore, can you imagine 1.5 million people losing their pensions and healthcare and the additional drain that will put on the American economy as if it isn't drained already? While the Japanese take the profits from us and deploy them into the Japanese tax base it is bolstering their economy at the expense of our own. Their taxes go to support their social healthcare system while we sit and watch our system crumble. Do you think the Japanese, Koreans, or Germans slander their own manufacturing base the way Americans do? The answer is no, because they have a thing called an "allegiance" to supporting their own national good. If the world were on a true and level playing (trading) field this could be viewed differently, as it stands it is far from it.
  • jazonjazon Member Posts: 9
    the CRV has had fire problems for several years, its been in the news a lot. Honda tried to stop the fires with training but new fires are still showing up on the Government web page.

The fire problem with the CRV is the location of the oil filter to the exhaust system. its too close. a terrible design.

The Ridgeline might have a similar but differnt design flaw going on.

Because the Ridgeline isn't a true truck, it has a front wheel drive powertrain configuration with the engine and transmission all crammed up in the engine compartment. The Ridgeline is basically the Honda Odysey platform, not a real truck platform. It makes sense that debris could get stuck in their while off roading and catching on fire.

Honda has zero experience with trucks or off-roading and it shows up in a lot of the problems the Ridgeline has been having.
    Does anyone else on here have the stalling problem with the Ridgeline? If so, has the dealer been able to fix the stalling yet?
    Because the Ridgeline isn't a true truck, it has a front wheel drive powertrain configuration with the engine and transmission all crammed up in the engine compartment. The Ridgeline is basically the Honda Odysey platform, not a real truck platform.

No not really. More than 90% of the Ridgeline is new and unique to the Ridgeline.

It makes sense that debris could get stuck in their while off roading and catching on fire.

News Flash: catylitic converters get hot and will cause a fire with dry brush, but are less likely with the RL because of the way they are placed.

Honda has zero experience with trucks or off-roading and it shows up in a lot of the problems the Ridgeline has been having.

Honda is a leader in off road racing with their ATVs and motorcycles. They know plenty. They are also racing the Ridgeline off road in the stock class using the stock 4x4 drive train. The engineer (Gary Flint) that designed the Ridgeline has plenty of truck design experience. You don't really seem that informed or do you always have to be spoon fed this way.

Whoops, look at this. This must be a pic showing Honda with no off road experience.

image">
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Thanks for idea about trailer. Had considered that. But, I am an apartment dweller so have limited parking options. Think it is the best way to go, so will work on the parking issue.
    Considered trailer hitch adaption. But ruled it out because, as you said it wouldn't be any good for framing lumber. I also thought it would be a hassel for accessing the truck bed.
    I think part of the problem Honda is having with the Ridgeline stems from the fact its from a car based platform.

A transverse mounted engine and a transverse mounted minivan transmisson is not the ideal set up for towing or off-roading.

The problem Edmunds had with their Ridgeline suspension didn't happen with the Tacoma, because the Toyota uses a truck platform and truck suspension and not something based on the Sienna or Camry. Honda chose to use struts like they use on the Odyssey / Accord I'm sure to save costs.

Toyota and Nissan have been building trucks for decades and have learned a few things along the way. If Honda had built a truck before they probably would not be having all the embarrassing problems they are experiencing with the Ridgeline.

Its sort of funny that even the car market is moving back to rear wheel drive (Chrysler 300, Magnum, Cadillac, G35, all Lexus) and Honda delivers a "truck" that has a transverse mounted engine.
    can you imagine what the quality of the "big" three would be like without the competition/domination that has come from Japan? You'd be driving the same crap that my dad drove.

Honda, imo, does a better job of providing secure employment here in the US than GM. Do you really care about the fat cat execs at the top making their bonuses while they lay off thousands?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    A transverse mounted engine and a transverse mounted minivan transmisson is not the ideal set up for towing or off-roading.

Look, how the engine is mounted, etc., has little to do with towing and off-roading.

Weight distribution is the key issue, and which wheels are the "driven wheels", and if AWD, how is the power apportioned? Granted, where the engine is located does affect weight distribution, but that's why the engineers get the big bucks.

John
    Good God man, your really impressing me! What car company hasn't the cash (other than Yugo) to put on a promotional vehicle like this, especially one with so many American dollars flowing back to mother Japan??? I'd put any Chevy beater 4x4 or Ford and put it up against some revamped front wheel drive wanna-be Hruck.
    Just the type of response I would expect out of the west coast liberals, so I'm not suprised. Just remember that "our" American tax base comes from all 50 states, our problems are "our" problems. The economy woes may not have hit your turf yet but they've certainly settled into the mid-west, eyes are beginning to open. If you think Rick Wagoner is making too much money, why aren't you bitching about the several hundred CEO's in America making over 10 times his inflated take home? Bye the way, the CEO of Honda, Koki Hirashima makes 3.4 million a year but receives $39 milion in additional compensation through various forms of Japanese diversified perks. This guy is making far more than old Rick and he's putting out some pretty troublesome products but has this loyalist American bashing base behind him, supporting the "what is wrong here" ideology I'm trying to bring into light here.
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    I have to differ with you about there being no difference between a transverse (front wheel drive) powertrain layout and a rear wheel drive configuration. There is a huge difference and the latter is the overwhealming choice of truck manufacturers the world over. Honda only had the minivan platform to start with do to cost cutting so the Ridgeline is hampered by its lowly roots.

The fact that the Ridgeline can not accomodate a transfer case with a low gear is proof of the severely compromised design when you start with a front wheel drive layout.
    what's more american?
    a Honda built in Alabama or a Chevy built in Mexico?

While Honda sales grow in numbers, their workers here in the US are able to cash a paycheck, pay taxes and consume without fear of losing their job the next day.
    GM employees are getting laid off because of poor leadership, short sightedness and inferior product.

Honda, Toyota, even BMW and Mercedes will provide a better economic base for the American worker than GM. GM is toast.

If GM made a decent product they wouldn't be in such bad shape. Don't ask me to give them a hand out and pay for an inferior product - it's not the American way IMO
    I agree, GM is finished, but we'll be watching them in their death throws for awhile. It doesn't matter what money goes back to Japan as long as Americans are employed, can produce a quality product and can consume here in the US.

I will support the American worker by buying from Honda, a company that is supporting them.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    You guys arguing about the buy Americn thing and the RL bashers on here are really ruining what could be an interesting thread.

Thanks a lot.

TB
    Allright tcasboy,

you're right,
    what's up with the Ridgeline?

I took my GM bashing over to the GM board where it belongs.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Bye the way, the CEO of Honda, Koki Hirashima makes 3.4 million a year but receives $39 milion in additional compensation through various forms of Japanese diversified perks.
    ------------

Link please, otherwise your statements are nothing but fabrication, coz I read that Toyota exectives s are getting less than GM's. Haven't read anything from Honda.

By the way, I' will post the link showing how Toyota honchos are taking lower take home pays over GM once I find it out, otherwise take my words as fabrication of facts too.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Well, yes, and NO!

If the engine were mounted longitudinally the transmission weight would be more centered, less forward weight bias. Additionally with a transverse mounted engine the Transaxle must be less "beefey" in order to fit cross-wise along with the engine.

But all that aside I do not understand why the Ridgeline doesn't come with the SH-AWD driveline system. Seems rather stupid of Honda to me.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Ok Ok, I didn't know that some here are mentally challenge.Thus I'm repeating and simplifying it.

Please post a link showing that Honda CEO's or honchos are paid way more than GM, otherwise,if you can't provide one your statements are mere fabrication of stories.

Guess why I find your post unbelievable, unless you provide a link.Simple,I read it in the internet, though I haven't found the link yet that Toyota executives are underpaid compared to their GM counterparts. That article did not mention anything about Honda.

I hope I don't sound like a no child left behind Mr Einstein.
    That punk with the Colt45 can shoved over is exhaust tip, this is him in the flesh

after writing the above; do you really want to be critical of what people are writing? :confuse:

If a GM or Ford exec makes ANY bonuse while laying off thousands and losing Billions a $1 bonus is too much.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Salaries of auto execs has nothing to do with Ridgeline vehicle problems. Drop the subject and move on, please.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • eddiemeddiem Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

Planning on possibly buying a Ridgeline. I know that ARE (www.4are.com) offers a cap for this vehicle. Prices go for about $1500-$1700. (Shop around: was initially told $1939, then $1750, then found one at $1600.) Add a Yakima or Thule system yourself and enjoy.

Good luck.
  • chaddo_kailuachaddo_kailua Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 Ridgeline and I love just about everything about the truck. I did have problems with the plastic trim around the top of the bed and on the bottom the front seats, Honda is replacing all the plastic trim.

The big problem I have with the vehicle is the hesitaion and jerking forward when I am slowing down and try to accelerate. It kind of sucks having to manipulate the pedal to try and avoid this problem. Honda has road tested the transmission twice and says the truck is shifting "OK". I have read about other people having this same problem but I am not sure if this can be fixed.

Does your Ridgeline hesitate and jerk forward when you slow down and accelerate??
  • chaddo_kailuachaddo_kailua Member Posts: 12
    Aloha, I have the hesitation in my 2006 rtl. Did you ever resolve this issue with honda or did they tell you you have to live with it? Does your truck still hesitate? My truck hesitates and jerks forward when I slow to turn or pass and then accelerate. Any comments are appretiated! Aloha
  • kyusskyuss Member Posts: 8
    I have an '06 RTL. There is an annoying speed bump in my parking lot at work. When I first got the Ridge I noticed that if I hit that annoying speed bump at just the right speed the vehicle stability assist would kick in (triangle w/ an "!" in it on the info display). As long as this is displayed it seems to retard the throttle a slight bit. I have noticed that when I am trying to brake while traveling down hill at highway speeds I do get a slight jerk forward. This is probably the electronic braking system working over-time. Both of these issues don't bother my wife or myself enough to warrant any concern, but yours may be worse. Maybe try disabling the VSA for the hesitation issue and see if it continues? Both issues could possibly be a software calibration issue within the computers that Honda may be aware of and could fix. Hopefully this provides some insight.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    -I'm not totally sure, but I think our Ridgelines are 'drive by wire' throttle. In other the throttle does not have a complete mechanical linkage, it has come kind of electric reostat that sends voltage to a motor on the actual throttle. (Someone tell me - is this right? Or does it have a mechanical throttle?) I've always thought my slightly 'jerky' Ridgleline is because the drive by wire isn't totally perfected.....

-Hondas have 'gear retarding' automatic transmissions. The computer 'looks' at various inputs and keeps the tranny from upshifting, which helps with braking when going down hills. I've always thought this also isn't perfected, and both my 2002 Accord V6 and my Ridgeline seem to 'drag' more than I would like when slowing down. The computer thinks I'm going down a hill when I'm just slowing down. I've felt this give worse gas milage than if it wasn't there, and I've never thought the whole thing was really needed. If Honda would just beef up the brakes a little this whole gear retarding tranny would never be needed.
  • altamontaltamont Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I drove my 06 RTS Ridgeline to LA this weekend and as soon as I reached speeds between 70 - 80 MPH rattling noise started to come from the rear of the truck located somewhere above the rear window. It sounds like loose paneling. Has anyone had this experience? I have 980 miles on the truck.

Thanks in advance!!!