Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• skelley1skelley1 Member Posts: 5
    the only problem I have had is the intermittent wipers not working.
  • frankie6frankie6 Member Posts: 5
    :confuse: Bought a new 2007 Ridgeline Dec 5, 2007. From 20-45 mph when I travel at a constant speed, the left front has a rhythmic shush/tap/click that is audible when not drowned out by engine or fan noise. Sometimes the shush/tap/click is 2 or 3 in fast succession in the same rhythm as the single. It is most obvious when one is slowing down. I have checked the tire for a stone, nail, etc., but can't find anything.
    Does anyone have an ideas about what this might be? Should I be worried?
  • chaddo_kailuachaddo_kailua Member Posts: 12
    I have never heard this one, you should consult the service department. I have a honing type sound that comes out at very low speeds, below 10 mph, coming from under the truck but can never seem to produce the sound with the mechanic in the truck. It seems it is a bit different than your problem. Sounds like it could be the brakes, yikes. The mechanics should be able to hear a constant sound anyway, laki maika'i, mele kalikimaka
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    "Bought a new 2007 Ridgeline Dec 5, 2007... the left front has a rhythmic shush/tap/click that is audible ."

It's just the normal breakdown of the dialithium crystals while being activated to warp you back from 2007 to Dec 14, 2006.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    I and I have found 3 others have a windshield creak sound, it sounds like in the middle, when you hit a sm /medium bump (and of coarse a large one). It's not the the visor or speaker cover (which others have had), I think my speaker cover does more of a squeak on washboard type roads (but i know that fix). Any ideas on the windshield creak noise.... I cant always have the radio turned up to drown it out. Dont get me wrong, its not a real loud creak but sure is annoying especially when its brand new and you paid all the $$$$
    I don't think so. The dilithium breakdown is more of a crunching sound, like chewing ice, while this is a more slapping sound, like smacking yourself in the cheek with a dead fish.

Actually, the problem I described was identified by the dealer's mechanic within a couple of hours -- noise from the CV joint/boot. They immediately ordered me a new left axle. (No joke.) My dealer is great--this is the fifth Honda we've purchased from them in Canandaigua, NY, and their service department is primo. By the way it was nice in 2007.

One does not warp back from the future, by the way. It is more of a poof.
    "this is a more slapping sound, like smacking yourself in the cheek with a dead fish."

Nice to find someone with a sense of humor. Not many on here seem to have one.

Glad to here your problem was found and is/will be fixed. My Ridgeline is a little over one year old, don't have much milage on it, but no problem to take back to the dealer. It does seem to getting a few rattles, one may be the speaker on the dash problem several are having.

(Regarding the 'slap to the face with a fish' comment. This brought to mind the TV show of a few years back 'Due South', where Mountie Fraizer related that the scar on his face was caused by a schoolmate hitting him in the face with a dead otter...)
    (Regarding the slap to the face with a fish . . . )

I got the idea about slapping the face with a dead fish from a Monty Python sketch called, I think, the "Fish Slap Dance". I laughed out loud when I read your point about me traveling forward and backward in time, by the way!
  • shimmyshimmy Member Posts: 14
    I've had once a small limestone pebble stuck between brake pad and disk. Check it out.
    Does anybody knows were to get nice aftermarket navigation/stereo system, the one which fits in to the dash? Don't like stickons very much.
    I own a 2006 RTL and the tailgate does not lock. Tell me how do you do it?
    It will get better, but'll newer be good.
    The tailgate does not lock.

The 'trunk' inside the bed does lock.
    Apparently 'Skelley1' knows something we don't. May be they did come lockable in 2007?
    Ooops, didn't understand exactly what you were replying to.

I went to the Honda site for 2007 specifications.

I see ' Lockable In-Bed Trunk™' and 'Dual-action tailgate', but nothing about lockable tailgate.
    Check message #295.
  • toast3toast3 Member Posts: 2
    I drive my Ridgeline on grass roads and in fields on a regular basis. The design of the underbody picks up grass and litter which can smolder or catch fire. I had a close call with an engire fire last summer, but was close enough to a hose to put it out. I warned my Honda dealership in Charleston, SC as well as notified Honda. I got nowhere. Last week the engine did catch fire with only $2,000 of damage since the fire department arrived in time to prevent a total loss. My insurance is covering the loss, but I really don't want to take this truck off road again. Honda tough? Has anyone else had this problem or tried to contact Honda?

Toast3
  • jclay1965jclay1965 Member Posts: 7
    Much to my surprise, went out to our 2006 Ridgeline RTL today to find a large pool of water in the rear floorboard. Upon further investigation, the carpets and floors are completely soaked, front and back. Nothing was left open. I had noticed a very musty/moldy odor had appeared a few weeks ago. I guess this explains the problem. What should I do next, and what can I expect from the Honda dealer? Very upset.
    I'm driving my RTL listening to the radio. Suddenly speaker in the front panel (near the windshield, passenger side),starts "farting";(for the wise guys >NO PASSENGERS IN THE CAR<). Not literaly, but sounds like it (like when you overload the base). I change radio station - same thing. Think "next day i will take the truck to the dealer", but in 10-15 minutes the problem disapeares and it sounds normal again. Happends twice allready. Does anybody have an idea?
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    jclay1965,

There have been reports with some Ridgelines having this problem, so your dealer should be able to help you resolve the issue. I believe there is a TSB on it. At any rate, once they find the source of the leak, I would insist that they replace your carpet. Good luck.
  • hairballhairball Member Posts: 4
    Shimmy,

It may not be your speaker. I have the same problem with my radio, but only when it's in the AM position, so I think it's my radio that's presenting the problem. It happens most of the time, but only when there is a vibration (moving or bumps). Sometimes it does not happen at all. I'm planning on taking it in to the dealer at my next oil change to check it out. I'll let you know.
    I've had same problem. Antenna plug was loose in the radio socket.
    :confuse: Well, they diagnosed the problem as a bad left front axle. They replaced it, but the same noise keeps occurring as I described in my previous message (#311). I am driving the truck, and there seems to be no obvious problem,brakes, steering, driving all seem fine, but it is annoying as heck for a new vehicle and so much $$$. The dealer decided that I should just drive it until the noise goes away or the source of the noise becomes obvious. I tentatively said okay, but the more I think about it, the less happy I am with this "solution". I'm a pretty laid back guy, but can get angry if I need to. What would you do or recommend for me? Thanks. (A guy can go nuts thinking about this!)
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    maybe, maybe not so FWIW:

my Odyssey, some Pilots, some Accords, maybe even your truck has a strut tower where the welds may not be deburred sufficiently before assembly. following assembly, there is enough compliance for rattling and rubbing.

i had a rhythmic tick tick in the right passenger front at about 30mph which the lead tech found immediately when driving my car.. there was a TSB for it for the Pilot, or perhaps it was the MDX. i cannot remember.

anyhow, taking the strut out, deburring the welds, applying grease to the plate at the top and re-assembly made my Odyssey quiet again.

it *might* be your issue.
  • jclay1965jclay1965 Member Posts: 7
    Update on our 2006 Ridgeline with the saturated floor... dealer said they 'think they fixed the leak' and wanted to wait a few weeks for the carpet to dry out to see if the problem was solved. I insisted on new carpet now since it's butt cold outside and I don't want to deal with the moldy/musty smell inside. Dealer says it will take about 1 week for the new carpet to arrive. They don't even sound confident the problem is corrected. Should we contact Honda Customer Relations and see about getting them to buy the car back? I feel as if we have permanently damaged goods here. $34,000 truck and still under warranty. I think Honda needs to step up to the plate and issue a recall. Any ideas? At this point we really don't want to keep the car if this issue is likely to come again, especially when it might happen after the warranty has expired, and we'll be stuck with a lemon then. Anyone else with the same problem been able to get Honda to step up to the plate and take the car back?
    Lots and lots of leaky 2006 Ridgelines in the first few months of production. I bought in Nov of 2005, truck built in Oct 2005 I think. The production line problems (bad welds) were supposed to have been fixed by then.

The plate on the driver's door gives the month and year the truck was built. 2006 production started in what, Jan 2005? Anything built in the first 6 months or so may leak.

Leaks were in the front windshield frame and int the rear side panel behind the rear door. The glass does not leak, the welds where panels are put together are not complete.

Any Honda dealer knows about early month production having leaks. Lots and lots of carpet has been replaced.

I know it's winter, but get a water hose and flood the truck for a long time on the side where the water came in. Why drive it and wait for a rain? I would not use a car wash, I would use a hose that puts out a lot of water. If you get more water inside, take it back to the dealer. If not, it's probably safe to get them to replace the carpet now.
    My dealer says that Rear differential (or transfer case) fluid should be replaced every 10.(ten) thousand km. The job cost around $400. That,s a lot of money to maintain a single component in the truck so often. It cannot be true? Can it?
    Read your manual.

You will have a 'maintenance'code come up on the dash display when the computer thinks you need to change the rear differential.

I think I've read that the first service usually comes up at about 15,000 miles, then the following will be at about 20 or 25,000 mile intervals.

It will be an Alpha code and/or a numeric code.
    Read the manual.

In general, most dealers will try to do maintenance sooner than necessary on many items. More money in their pocket.

$400 seems very high. There is a drain plug and a fill plug. And it takes about a quart of fluid. Even knowing HOnda prices its fluid very high, this seems extremely excessive.

I would use Honda differential fluid. If someone rather than a Honda dealer does service, I would use Honda diff fluid and trans fluid, probably even Honda Antifreeze. They 'compound' these fluid so they are somewhat unique, and I would not want to bet on a warranty problem tied back to not using these.

Now, oil and oil filter - use any good, national brand.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    No, a rear diff VTM fluid change is right around the fifty dollar mark if I remember correctly, and it takes way more than a quart. My first VTM fluid change was at 15,000 miles, but I don't think you change it every 15,000 miles.
    The real dif oil should be changes that often, your truck will tell you when it should be changed, I think the code is "A6" on the service reminder. They are however taking you for a ride at $400, Honda Windward charges $74 to change the real dif oil. It is also very easy to do yourself for around 15 bucks.
  • nathanincnathaninc Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone installed running boards for the ridgeline. I checked out the installation instructions and it requires a special tool. Do you need this tool and if so where do you get it.
  • harleybobieharleybobie Member Posts: 2
    Mine was in for the fourth and final repair late last year. Mine had welding problems and a missing plug. Mine has been drilled at right A-pillar, caulked and plugged. New carpet done. The right front area has an electrical box where the water came in which concerns me for possible future electrical problems. Passenger side dash taken apart to reach areas as well as center floor console for carpet replacement. I just started to have dash creaks... Yes I know how you feel-I was so excited to buy a new Honda-kinda took the excitement away. I do understand there are limits to manufacturing and I got to experience those limits. So far no leak-if it does leak again, will request a buy back as per Florida Lemon Law.
    Well, you apparently haven't tried hard enough.

toast3 was able to catch his on fire two times.
  • wildbean626wildbean626 Member Posts: 1
    Well, my AM reception has been an issue that seems to be unsolvable. Honda replaced the radio and replaced the antenna boot but still I get static with AM reception. It almost sounds like a bad speaker but they checked those as well, besides FM and CD sound beautiful. The static doesn't occur constantly it's an irritating crackle noticable with 'talk' radio. Anyway, Honda told me there was no way to correct the problem at this time because the antenna was placed in the rear window and not the big windshield like most cars. Therefore the signal is not coming in good. They mentioned some kind of booster that the Pilot has but that Ridgeline hasn't had a service advisory yet. I called the main Honda in Torrance and they said they wouldn't fix the problem until they get more complaints. Well, I'll be constantly complaining because it is driving me crazy -- BUT I love my truck overall!!!!!!! Is anyone else having this problem with their AM reception?
  • toast3toast3 Member Posts: 2
  • trinaytrinay Member Posts: 5
    try WD40
    No, no radio problems as of yet. My only problems so far have been water leaks and now today they tell me I need rear shocks on both sides. Well now, the truck is already 6 months old so why not!
    Crazy problems with this truck, but I must say, still love it. I will be after Honda Canada for some extended warranty though. I mean really, having your truck ripped apart and put back together after repairing body seam leaks and having all new interior put in because it was pretty much a swimming pool and now needing rear shocks already! Shocking! It's a 2007 with under 7,000 km's.
    Anyone else needing rear shocks already? I know many water leak problems out there but apparently I am the first with this problem, or so they say.
    Oh my floor was soaking wet too about 2 months ago. They had a company come in and fix body seam leaks on both the left and right side. The dealership also replaced all the underpad and carpet as it was soaked right through for some time. So far this problem seems to be fixed but I am really concerned about the future and potential rust or any other unforeseen problems. Today I was told my RL needs the rear shocks replaced. My truck is a 2007 and has under 7,000 kms. Unbelievable! I am now planning to go after Honda for an extended warranty at the very least. I had fought with them previously with regards to the water leaking because the truck was only 2 months old and I had it in for service numerous times to have it repaired. I tried for a new truck but they were not giving an inch. But this time I will fight for extended warranty. Having shocks replaced like this is beyond comprehension. So far in my experience Honda Customer Relations was a waste of time. They only stand behind their warranty that you receive with your vehicle. Don't even think a buy back would be possible, but worth a try I guess. Good luck to you.
  • plistplist Member Posts: 19
    We own two. Both are incredible trucks, use to be chevy owners for years, but thier quality and reliability went down the tubes.

Great through snow, dirt roads, no rattles,I wash my honda twice a week, no leaks, perfect. My husband is not easy with his, he uses it on the construction jobs he is on, hauling tools and materials, generators you name it he fits it in there.

:confuse: So I really have to wonder who these people are complaining about the Ridgeline, chevy spies bashing the Honda? :cry:
    Oh I would think you work for Honda to post a message like this. If you truly were chevy owners, you would know Chevy can build trucks. Honda has built a truck and has not yet worked out all the problems. I have always owned GM and my sister has always owned Honda with never any problems. So when Honda came out with this truck I absolutely loved it. And, I still love this truck, but I am pretty sure it was built on a Monday morning. I don't understand why you put woman owner in your title as it has no bearing on anything. But seeing as gender is important to you I will let you know I am a woman Ridgeline owner as well. As a matter of fact when I re-read what you wrote about Chevy owners I am convinced you work for Honda. Reason. If you really did your homework you would see the many people who have had leaks in their Ridgelines. And for the record, leaks in the trucks were more apparent with strong rain, or rainy days period, and not from using your hose exactly.
    PS Sales people do not normally own them, they are demos.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    TRIN..........Read the Edmunds long term test ridgeline blog.
    They needed ALL 4 strut/shocks replaced so you not the
    only one with this issue...........
    Also check out http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com
    for other real owners with strut and water leak issues....
    Thank you for your help.
  • hessitationhessitation Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem ever since I bought my ridgeline a year ago. They are saying the same thing to me. Now I have a company mediator coming out Wed. to see what the problem is. I told the dealer if honda knew there was a hesitation in the engine then they should tell the customer and let us decide from the information if we still want to buy the truck or not. I would not have. It has almost stalled crossing a four lane intersection and at 15 mph it almost always jerks and hesitates. That is a very unsafe feature in any auto.
  • gx4megx4me Member Posts: 1
    I leased my Silver RTL in May 2005. I have 35K Plus miles on her and have had one minor problem. A noisy sunvisor, apparently it's plastic, was broken and rattled. I also had the diff fluid changed at 15k miles when it looked fine, but the code came up. I get 22 mpg with no air on, windows, sunroof open, 70 mph on cruise. City gets around 18+ mpg. It is a fun truck to drive with enough power and room for me (6'-2" 250lbs). The tire pressure monitor saved me tires twice. All in all, a nice vehicle. I will lease another or buy this one in '08.

hessitation - There is a recall on the fuel pump relay which might be causing your problem. Just had mine in for it! (I had no symtoms)

Good luck!
    Nice, I love mine too! Impressive across the board. Small kine hesitation but the fuel pump thing I didn't know about. Mahalo for the insight! Aloha
  • jbhansenjbhansen Member Posts: 20
    Just got a new 2007 RTL w/Navi this past weekend. I read through all the posts on this board, and noticed three posts (#23, #67, and #78) saying there was no way to program the doors to unlock when shifting into Park. I don't know if this was specific to the 2006 model, but I successfully programmed my doors to unlock w/Park. Procedure is:

1) Make sure transmission is in Park (which it should be if the engine is off) and the driver's door is closed.
    2) Turn the key to the "ON" position.
    3) Push and hold the rear of the master door lock switch.
    4) Second click (after about 5 seconds) sets the driver door only to unlock w/Park.
    5) Continue to press and hold. Third click (after about 10 seconds) will set all doors to unlock w/Park.
    6) Release the switch.
    7) Turn key to "Accessory" position within 5 seconds.

All procedures for various lock/unlock scenarios begin on page 84 of the 2007 owner's manual.
    You referenced very low message numbers, from quite a while back.

When the Ridgeline first came out, the door auto lock and unlock feature did not work the way it currently works. (Doors remainded locked when placed into Park.) There were many complaints about this, and fortunately Honda changed the programming control. They also developed a procedure to change the early models, but it was a somewhat complex change, involving actual wiring changes.

I think the current procedure is they auto lock when put into gear, and auto unclock when put into Park. With other variations possible. My dealer specifically as me how I wanted to have this set up when I took delivery.

And yes, you can change these options via instructions in the owners manual.
  • 08lr308lr3 Member Posts: 76
    Double ditto

I have (well had), and 2006 RTS Sept 05 build. Only issue was the door recall for the plastic clips. Gas mileage was as advertised. I really miss my RTS. After a short year of ownership my sister and husband bought it. (I got deployed to Germany for 2 years). but, I can't wait to return home and in 09 buy RTL with navi. :shades:

I pick up 08 Land Rover LR2 - cross your fingers for good luck with this. Drive much like the RL.