Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX MPG Real World Numbers

1235»

Comments

• rfcinc4rfcinc4 Member Posts: 1
    This is my third MDX. I first owned a 2004, then 2007, and now just purchased a 2011 in December end of last year! Gas Mileage sucked on the 2004 and I swore Id never buy another MDX, however, I needed an SUV to tow my horse trailer and was impressed with the 2007 , 5000 pound towing capacity and style. It turned out I loved my 2007 MDX and the mileage per gallon averaged 17 city and up to 23 hwy with my ac always on. It appeared they had fixed the mileage issue with the 2007 model to be efficient!
    So when it came time to trade up, I assumed Acura would have implemented the '07 mileage fix into the '11 MDX models, but I was wrong! I too have been extremely disappointed with the low miles per gallon on the 2011 Acura MDX. Like you, I first only averaged 13 city and 15 highway. I'm now at 4000 miles and am up to 15 city and 18.1 highway. I'm still holding my breath for the 23 mpg highway like I had in my '07 model! Try resetting your speedometer after filling your tank each time. I too hope things continue to improve with the rising of gas prices, otherwise, as much as I love the new MDX model, this will have been a financial mistake!
  • mnsheamnshea Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I only have 1,000 miles on the car now so I'm hoping to see some improvement as I add more miles. We'll see.....
  • mdxmikemdxmike Member Posts: 1
    Gas mileage has dropped from 18 mpg to 12 mpg over the last 2 years (70K through 95K miles). Both dealer and independent Honda/Acura shop say there is nothing wrong with the car, but ahve been willing to try to fix it by replacing fuel filters, plugs, throttle body, and intake manifold - to no avail. At one point we thought it might be transmission/differentials but the dealer eventually concluded they damaged a solenoid when replacing motor mounts. Car runs fine otherwise - no loss of power or anything. Has anyone had similar degradation in fuel economy and found a fix to the problem? :confuse:
  • mojobagginsmojobaggins Member Posts: 15
    Reading owner's posts are depressing. I'm considering a MDX but the lower than the EPA listed MPGs that people are stating, give me pause.
    I don't know what year you are considering buying. However, our 2006 averaged 17 mpg city/highway. We bought a 2011 MDX which now has 2,000 miles on it. Given the price of gas, we very recently asked our dealer what would happen if we used regular gas instead of the premium the manual recommends. The reply was that "you will save quite a bit of money". We are now averaging 17-19 mpg city/highway using regular gas.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    came on. You don't put anything in the gas tank except gas. Those stuff are waste of money. You need to use top tier gas. I personally use chevron gas 100% of the time.
  • mj28inpamj28inpa Member Posts: 1
    Hey Mojo, I purchased a 2011 MDX last week after having an 09 TL for the last 2+ years (which i LOVED). I knew the MPG would be a lot lower in the MDX but man, after doing 700 miles I have had to fill up twice already at $80.00+. Have you noticed any decrease in performance, engine startup issues, anything diminished since you switched to regular? I would save about 20.00 a fill up by switching but dont want to do it at the cost of performance.

Appreciate your input.. Thanks.

MJ
    Have noticed some occassional "pinging" while accelerating. However, we are getting the same mileage as when using premium fuel.
  • jpw94jpw94 Member Posts: 1
    I had an '08 MDX. LOVED it! Mileage was 19 around town, about 23+ on longer trips.
    Traded for a '10 (end of lease) and man am I disappointed about the incredible drop in mileage.
    I don't see 21mpg on the EXACT same trip i was getting nearly 24mpg.
    I spoke to my service guy and he hinted this was indeed an issue they have been hearing.
    Spoke to my salesman who, of course, had a "reason" for lower mileage. Heavier car, blah blah blah.
    I didn't hear any of that when he was "selling" me the car.

Anyway, pretty disappointed in the new version. Had I known, I would have stuck with the '08.
  • jlwalkerjlwalker Member Posts: 4
    recently getting less than 13 mpg city, lead footing. 20+ why.
  • mjs560mjs560 Member Posts: 14
    I am getting around 19 mpg with AC on. This is a combination of highway and local driving.
  • tsturbotsturbo Member Posts: 2
    I wonder if the recent one to roll off the line have some update? Mine just came off the rail car a month ago and with less than 1,000 miles, I averaged 21 mpg through 4 mountain passes, about 550 miles round trip.

2011 MDX Advance
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Hi,

Haven't posted on this site in a while. 2008 MDX coming up to 4 years with around 35,000 miles. Miles per gallon is really bad. Practically no difference between highway and local driving, which for me means around 14 mpg,even on open road going around 70. Didn't realize highway had gotten that bad but then I almost never drive this car -- wife does. Any suggestions on why it might be that bad on highway?

I checked prior postings by me and at around 7.5K I think highway was round 21-23 mpg.

Thanks,

Bill
  • goomba1goomba1 Member Posts: 20
    I have always filled up my '08 MDX with premium and wondered about the requirement. If you're getting occasional pinging that is bad in the long run. I wonder if the valves are damaged by using 87 octane gas if that can account for some of the decreased milage being noted by some here. With 55k on the vehicle I am getting ~18mgp city and ~24mpg highway.
    Has anybody else experienced pinging with regular octane gas?
  • ab10000ab10000 Member Posts: 127
    Hi,
    I am considering the MDX vs Lexus RX350.
    Should I be concerned on MPG for MDX since I see many complains on this thread?
    This is a common problem with MPG or few exceptions.

Thanks
    Wish I knew what was up with mileage. Had it for fours years as of today and bought extended warranty (5yr from date of purchase or 80K miles, whichever first --- now at 37K miles) for $1330, no deductible per visit. Not thrilled with this car but it is expensive to fix and wife is not easy on car so no desire to buy new one.
    By date of purchase I mean date of purchase of the warranty -- not the MDX!
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    So, I've owned my 2011 mdx for about 4 months.
    I am using high octane gas ONLY, as per dealer instructions. I am getting 14 to 15 MPG in city, open road driving I can get 20.8 staying at under 70MPH beyonf that gas efficiency drops drastically. I am driving about 1000 miles a month, so the gas efficiency factor for this car is pretty bad. This car may not be a long term keeper... :sick:
    FYI I used to own a Honda CRV 2007 AWD, base model.
    Plain and simple no HorsePower and Good on Gas 24 MPG.
    SO now with the 2011 MDX base model I make still continue to do trips from NYC to Florida Jacksonville area and the best i am getting is 20.8PMG.
    I am towing full luggage for 3 kids and 2 adults plus a all the junk for the kids.
    gas consumption is not going to get any better than 21MPG. That is the bst I have gotten, the worst has been about 14MPG city driviing.
  • ashg2000ashg2000 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased new MDX and it's giving only 12MPG in city driving. Car has done 800 miles so far. Does the average improves with more mileage?
  • bidder5000bidder5000 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2010 Acura MDX. I average 14.5 MPG and live in Southern California. That gas mileage is completely unacceptable, especially when we are close to $5 a gallon this past month. Average gas price has been $4.90 a gallon. I asked the dealership about this and they said that Acura overinflated the tires thus getting them better mileage. They said no one gets what Acura states on the windows. Now that all of this has come out about Kia, we need to get a refund too. How do we do it?
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    You bought SUV for gas mileage?
  • tornadogtornadog Member Posts: 102
    I have owned my 2011 MDX for a year now. I have driving the same route everyday with a few long trips in between. When I bought it, my city mileage was around 15 mpg. Now after 13000 miles and 2 services its dropped to 13 mpg. I asked my dealer in the last service and they said its the norm. Needless to say I am disappointed; I came from a 2010 Honda Pilot that used to give me 16mpg throughout.
    I own a 2008 MDC with tech and mileage dropped a lot from when we bought. Live on Long Island and wife does mainly very very local driving. I didn't change air or cabin filter until this past September -- meaning didn't change for almost 4 years -- and after doing that I noticed a big change. Went back to over 20. Not saying that's you but I was suprised it mattered so much. I note we do every oil change on time.
  • prprt33prprt33 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 2012 Acura MDX in June of 2012, six months and 9,000 miles later I'm averaging a blended 18.5MPG. It's not great, but it is right inline with the estimates of 16MPG city and 21MPG highway.
    i doubt it. My MDX was purchased in 11/17/2011, so far the best city mileage is 15MPG, highway from New Orleans to NYC 20.9MPG.
    I am dissapointed with the mileage I get with this 2011 MDX.
    I am about 18K and 16 months into the life of this car and I am not liking the mileage per gallon...Acura did not live up to expectations!
  • doninatlantadoninatlanta Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the new MDX -- front wheel drive with the Advance Package. This is supposed to get 20/28 mpg. Does anyone with a 2014 MDX have personal gas mileage experience to report? Does the FWD really get 20 in the City -- and 28 on the Highway? Does the SH-AWD really get 18 in the city? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
  • deanniedeannie Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2013
    Bought 2014 Tech SH-AWD, Dark Cherry Pearl/parchment. The ac has been on every second I've driven this new car. Just drove family of four w/luggage from MD to NY. I reset the trip/mpg meter several times to check mpg under different conditions. Displayed mpg ranged from 25.4 (stretch which included 10 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic) to 31.7 for a mostly level 25 mile stretch with no traffic. during which speeds were 60-70 with light throttle/hypermiling techniques. Kept it under 80 most of the time during other stretches with brief downhill stints above 90. Never went below that 25.4 on the hwy.

My suburban "city" driving will differ from yours unless you live in my neighborhood and drive like I do. That being said, I've driven in "city" situations briefly, and only 3-4 times and got 17.4 to 20 mpg in those scenarios - always w/ac on.

All this is from a brand new vehicle. Not yet broken-in. Amazed. IDS in Normal mode most of the time, but I switched to Sport mode when traffic thickened or roads/offramps got curvy.

BTW, SH-AWD is not just for snow. I'm sure it rains where you are, and SH-AWD should yield measurable safety benefits (shorter braking distances and better handling) in both wet and dry conditions. Ironically, FWD savings comes at a cost. Hope this helps.
  • doninatlantadoninatlanta Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much! That is valuable info. Ironically, the Dark Cherry with Parchment interior is the one I have my eyes on. Also, thanks for the tip on why to buy AWD.
  • bidder5000bidder5000 Member Posts: 17
    purchased a silver 2014 MDX front wheel drive a few weeks ago. I have been driving primarily around town and have done a few long hauls. Sad to report I am only getting 18 MPG. I find that they lie about the mpg and you usually get around 2-5 less than what they actually state. No one drives in their fantasyland of the perfect MPG.

That being said, I have only had the car a few weeks and it is still breaking in.

I do ALWAYS put in the 93 octane (BTW)
    Sorry to hear about the 18mpg, and w/fwd too. Is that overall or just city? Is your a/c always on? Take some solace in the fact that EPA mpg numbers are best used to compare fuel economy of one vehicle to another, and isn't great at predicting what you'll get.

Some city tactics I use are relatively quick bursts of acceleration followed by coasting at speed as much as possible to allow the engine to go into 3cyl mode. Remember, contrary to popular belief, slowly accelerating to speed uses slightly more fuel than the above. Also, accel down hills fast enough to coast up and over them. Going over the speed limit in the city is also an unfortunate necessity when trying to get good mileage because you can't gain much momentum (and thus can't coast much) if you're driving 20-30 mph. But again, your city mileage will vary. If you were to somehow exactly duplicate the EPA city test cycle (virtually impossible since they don't actually drive the vehicle on city streets), you'd probably match the 20mpg city rating advertised. Absent that, you'll likely get less. From my own experience, it's easy to beat the EPA hwy rating. Despite a 700 mile trip from MD to NY and back, I haven't had a chance to do any measurable city driving - just hwy.

All 14 MDX's are breaking in, so everyone's mileage should slightly improve over time. I too always use premium (91-93 octane). Coast baby, coast! Hope this helps.
  • kris2kris2 Member Posts: 51
    I had a similar problem, but noticed improvement when the air pressure is at 34-36 instead of 30-32. I had the air at 30 as per the on board and I was getting 19-20 mpg highway but the same trip after I set the pressure at 35 saw the highway at 22-23. Was doing between 60 and 70. Not sure if it helps.
    Bought mine in 8/2014 and started hearing/feeling vibrations in my vehicle (sounds like left front) since mid October. The vibes only occur when the engine is revving between 1000 and 2000 RPM while lightly accelerating and during low speed coasting/cruising (trying to save fuel) . They're getting louder and more frequent over time, suggesting that whatever is vibrating is loosening up and becoming more susceptible to these vibrations. It has been my experience that such sounds/vibrations in this RPM range are heat shields vibrating at certain harmonic frequencies specific to low RPM driving. It is annoying.

To avoid the vibes, you can put the trans in sport and downshift using the paddles when revs get down to 2000 rpm. But we shouldn't have to do this to avoid vibrations in a a premium brand vehicle. As more MDX miles are driven, more will report the issue. I'm going to bring this up when I bring mine in for the first oil change. I'll let you know.
    My mpg dropped drastically over the last two weeks. I live in MD & the temps have dropped. I bought the 2014 MDX w/Tech in July at which point the tires had 38psi. Now it's 40 degrees colder & psi down to 32. MPG dropped about 10%. I re-inflated this evening to 38psi and will report soon.

BTW, has anyone experienced low rpm vibrations under light acceleration? I've posted under "MDX Vibrations" check it out.
  • paggypaggy Member Posts: 3

I came here looking for lower MPG issues I started noticing in my 2012 MDX. My driving is mostly city with occasional highway. I have been recording the MPG shown on the car and the actual MPG (computed) I get for every gas tank filled and noticed that after around 11K miles driven in Chicago suburbs, I got around 18 MPG (computed value) so far while the trip computer shows 17.7 MPG. I always full the tank and fill it up mostly with same brand (Mobil) at same gas pump as much as possible. I am very careful with driving habits and do not accelerate too hard. I try to keep the air pressure in tires around 35 PSI (measured after 3+ hours of shut off). But with the cold winters, it goes around 33 PSI relatively soon.

I noticed few issues so far:

1. Off late the MPG has been dropping with every gas tank filled.
    2. I have set the trip computer to auto reset the MPG for Trip A when gas is filled. But these days I have noticed that sometime it resets even when no gas was filled. Had this issue 3 times so far in 15 months I owned the vehicle.
    3. The average speed is constantly stuck at 26 MPH ever since we bought it.

Has anyone else noticed such issues?

• paggypaggy Member Posts: 3

@paggy said:
    3. The average speed is constantly stuck at 26 MPH ever since we bought it.

Reading the manual, I reset the average speed indicator and now I do see this info correctly. However other two issues still persist.

• jasonnymdxjasonnymdx Member Posts: 1

I just bought an used 2006 Mdx. it has 93k mileage. I think i made a big mistake by buying this car. Never ever again am I buying this. I only or mostly drive in the City where so much traffics in New York City. my screen shows average mileage of 11 mpg. I don't know why that is so low. I haven't checked it out by technician yet. I will eventually in the coming months. I think i get better mileage when i drive on the highway but i haven't checked the numbers.
    I use high octane gas >93 but still mileage don't improve. any body got any suggestions?

That's a bit low - 15 city is the EPA rating. Different people get different results of course, and you're in a bad driving environment for fuel economy. You can scroll back through this discussion for tips, like checking the tire pressures. And don't drive like a New Yorker (I doubt that you could do that and survive in the city though!).

Premium unleaded is the required fuel for your MDX.

I own an 2011 MDX base model.
    I have to say gas consumption in the city is Horrible. However, in the highway its a different story. I can have the car loaded with 7 adults traveling at 55MPH and I can get about 21 0r 22 MPG cruise control engaged. I only put high octane gas and I now have 33K miles.
    Most of my driving is long distance from NYC to florida, Georgia and Alabama, my usual trip is about 3K to 4K mile trip and I can always get about 21 mpg on average with 4 adults and luggage. Great car for long trips. I hear the 2014 model gets better gas mileage because the AWD is an option but why would I buy an MDX without the S-HAWD?? makes no sense!

Maybe if you full-timed it in Florida the FWD would make more sense.

Your comments about mileage seem pretty "normal" or better than the norm on the highway. My current minivan's sweet spot seems to be cruising along at 70 mph. Hit town and the mpg drops 4 to 6 miles per gallon.