Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX MPG Real World Numbers

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
This topic is for MDX owners to report their actual MPG.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Comments

• msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    We used to own an '01 MDX that we traded for an '04; so we have lots of real-world experience. The MDX takes a LOT of energy to get moving, but does not require a whole lot to keep it going. What this means is that if you do a lot of stop-&-go driving you will experience poor mileage (low 15s at best, maybe worse). Another observation is that our '04 gets about 1 mpg less than the old '01.

Around town (Stop-&-Go): ~ 15.2 mpg
    Mixed suberb driving: ~ 17-19 mpg
    Pure Highway (~75 mph): ~ 22 mpg
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Trip computer has never been reset. We have 8700 miles and have a grand total average of 17.8 mpg. Around town 30%, highway commute (75-82 mph) 70%. The average has been going up (a tenth at a time) since 8K miles so engine may be entering its true mpg?

Ralph
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    We have 25K on ours and get 15-16 around town and 23+ on the highway.
  • mdx4lifemdx4life Member Posts: 2
    I bought my MDX (base) this April and got about 2K miles. It seems like everyone is getting over 20mpg on the highway. So far I got ~15mpg (city 40% and highway 60%). Its initial mpg was about 14mpg. I talked to dealer who told that the car is still new (according to dealer's words "infant stage") and needs to be broken into but dealer did not tell me how long this "break-in" will take. I am suspicious about this break-in period. Does anyone know more about this issue? When a government or independent agency tests car's mpg do they start recording mpg after break-in period? I doubt this but I am keeping the mpg record on my car will contact dealer soon. Is is too much to ask for ~17mpg for a car which they claim gets ~17mpg around city.
    It is well known that the goverment's mpg tests are flawed; almost universally your mileage will be less. Yes the MDX does have a break-in period (varies from 2000-5000 miles); mileage should inprove some, but not dramatically. As I posted above the MDX does not do well in stop-n-go city driving; we average low 15's in predominately city driving. Mixed suburb driving will be anywhere between 17-19. We do get low 20's on highway trips. Also I know from experience that the '04 MDX generally does about 1 mpg less than the '01.
  • silvrfox1silvrfox1 Member Posts: 1
    Getting about 12 mpg in the city, 15 1/2 on the highway. Very bad. Have 11,300 miles on it. Don't believe the dealer when he tells you it will get better.
    Getting about 12 mpg in the city, 15 1/2 on the highway. Very bad. Have 11,300 miles on it. Don't believe the dealer when he tells you it will get better.

I have owned an MDX since March of '01 and am currently driving my second one. We have put over 60,000 miles on our MDXs. I am a longtime contributer to Edmunds Town Hall, having joined in Jan '01 prior to buying our MDX. Additionally I am a top 10 poster over on acuramdx.org and participate on other Acura forums as well.

What's the point? You may not want to believe your dealer that the MDX should get better gas mileage, but you should believe me!! Your mileage figures do NOT match historical evidence from the many thousands who have reported on these various forums. The worst mileage we have ever experienced in predominately stop-n-go city driving is the upper 14s. I assure you that your reported milage is not normal! Check the other forum I mentioned.
    Are you running premium? Check tire pressure? Is your parking brake stuck? There are some easy things to check. Another could be the gas you are getting, try changing stations, some places offer oxygenated gas (they are supposed to post signs however they are usually small), which is supposed to save on emissions, however you get much worse gas mileage with it and thus use more fuel?? Not sure which is better?
  • fun6889fun6889 Member Posts: 27
    Dave, what program you have now? since all the program ended 7/5. You can still do those crazy number?
    Averaged ~22 mpg over a 2300 mile trip last week. Used mostly 87 mpg gas from a variety of brands. Best tank mileage was 23.1 and worst tank mileage was 20.8.
  • mtdavis0mtdavis0 Member Posts: 10
    Hi...newcomer here.

Am considering my first MDX, is premium fuel required? Saw from above thread that they used 87 oct.

Any suggestions on threads / info trying to compare a new Honda Pilot or other base SUV to used "premium" SUV such as the MDX?

Thanks
    M
    Acura recommends a minimum octane of 91 to guarantee the advertised horsepower ratings. Acura states that a lower octane may be used, but with possible loss of performance. In my real world experience I do not believe there is any noticable loss of acceleration at all (excepy maybe at hard "flooring" type starts).

BTW, in my post above (#12) I meant 87 octane :blush:
  • shtirlitzshtirlitz Member Posts: 14
    I am getting about 14.5-15.5 in the city driving - not stop and go but a lot of heavy traffic with lots of traffic lights on the way. Freeway is at 22mpg.
    The other day I was shuttled from the dealership to work in an MDX and checked their milege - it has never been reset apparently cause they had 9500 trip and the average of 14.8. The driver said they they do 50/50 highway/city.
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    My new 05 MDX (~700 miles) has been getting about 15.5-16 mpg in 80% city, stop-and-go driving. I realize the truck's new and most of the driving is in the city, in the dead of summer with the AC always on so I'm not too concerned about the mileage at this point. I expect it will get better as the engine breaks in and our front/back AC usage goes down (since we live in GA, it's always on).
    I haven't reset the trip calculator either...

2004 MDX - bought 9/17/04
    10,800 miles
    25% city / 75% highway [75-80 mph]
    17.8 mpg - it's been that since 9000 miles
  • mcsearsmcsears Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 03 MDX with 20k miles & reset the trip computer. Haven't reset since, now at 31k. Computer says 19.6 mpg. 50-50 city/hwy. Seems about right based on tank-by-tank guesstimates. I seem to get around 15-17 mpg city and 22-23 highway. Black interior in Hotlanta means A/C is at full blast all the time, so mileage is a little worse these days. Been using premium, but am thinking about stepping it back, last tank was $45. Crazy.
    We just did 300+ highway miles yesterday with a good bit of idling at a few stops. We got 21 mpg in our 2002 MDX. This was pretty much all highway with about 1/2 hour of idling at stops.
  • qrtlowqrtlow Member Posts: 13
    AAA has done independent tests on normal driving and so has the EPA, (which we get our false expectations). C'mon, we know some of you guys are reporting some terrible MPG, but do you tell us the truth about your driving habits? Do you lead foot it between the lights and approach a stop light still accellerating until 100 feet. Or do you drive on the interstate over 60? Well, guess what? the EPA estimates were not considering you when they came up with their stats.

My 2004 MDX gets and average like most. 14MPG in the city and 20+ on the highway, I Avg 19.5. I'm estatic! Gee, I have a 265HP vehicle that weighs over 4000 Lbs and is a hot rod too?

AAA has published a report on how EPA figures dont match up.

http://autoadvice.about.com/od/buying/a/MPGEstimate.htm

Looks like a little pie in the face for a few brands.

How about the Honda Element that boasts 160HP with 26MPG highway and in reality gets only 20MPG by AAA independent testing?

Or...The Lexus LX 470 (AKA Seqouia) bragging about 13 - 17MPG and only delivering 10.8MPG

Let's look at the 245HP Toyota 4 Runner that says it's getting 18-24MPG but actually gets 17.8MPG

Look a gift horse in the mouth? Go out to your garage right now and give your MDX a big HUG!

QRTLOW
  • singlethreadedsinglethreaded Member Posts: 22
    Before I bought my MDX I reviewed the numbers here and they looked acceptable. A day after dropping a deposit off, I look at these numbers and wonder what I just got myself into. My 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee with rook rack and Yakima bike rack gets 18.9 mpg overall (in 2 wheel drive). I hope the same driving with the MDX comes out 20+. :confuse:
    The numbers are not very accurate and it is annoying. My Isuzu Trooper said 15/19. How about 12/15. Mine are low for the Isuzu, but I don't think more than 1 or 2 people has reported over 19 on the highway.

The Acura reports I think 16/19? I get 15 around town and 21+ on the highway. So I am happy the highway epa estimates are low...it makes long road trips much more enjoyable not having to worry about filling up multiple times. There is nothing like having the caffeine kick in, the kids settle into a movie and really start cruising to realize you have to stop for gas...which means food, bathroom, 1/2 hour etc. The MDX can go so far on even under a 1/2 a tank it is nice.
    The 2005 MDX is 17/23
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    My 1996 jeep grand cherokee got about 13 in town and 20-21 on the highway.....very poor and I hear the new ones might be near the same - one reason I went with the MDX although not much better after a few hundred miles - 15 town and 22 city....we'll see.
    Just got 22.1 mpg [2004 MDX w/ 11,400 miles] - 85% highway 15% city - going from Lake George to Saratoga to Poughkeepsie, NY - with the AC on - 120 miles.

Also, took 5 adults on various rides around Lake George area and all commented on the MDX's very smooth ride.

Can't wait to see what the 2007 MDX will have up its wheel wells. I'm sure they are figuring out ways to squeeze more MPG out of it...
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    mixed highway / local.
  • martinr77martinr77 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 05 MDX/touring w/Nav - have about 1300 miles. I live in Arizona and the A/C is always on this time of the year - so far my mileage is 19.1 to 21.2 with a 60/40 mix of freeway and stop and go - very happy with the mileage and I do not baby it! Love the MDX, performance and mileage!
    Bought a 2005 MDX last week and first couple loads of gas have been pretty brake free. Driving from RI to NH, mostly highway miles but two stops 22.1. Across the mountains (well what we have here in New England) from NH to Stowe, VT. (22.6 MPG).

Then on the final ride home from VT to Connecticut, filled up in VT and by the time I hit Hartford 110 miles later got MPG up to 25.2. By the time I got home to Rhode Island with some stop and go, I was sitting at 24.5. Very please so far.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    I don't get it. Spend $40K for a car and then complain about the mpg? My cars generally max out at the EPA highway number on trips. My Avalon, Cruiser GT and MDX all have given the EPA highway number on occasion when on long freeway drives at speeds of 75 mph, but the norm is usually a couple of mpg less. Around town all three give about 20% less than the EPA number. Seems that, for my cars and my kind of driving, the EPA numbers are a reasonable source for ranking, not actual expected mpg.

My 05 Prius is an exception for in town driving. I did not expect anywhere near EPA numbers, so I am not disappointed at my 45 mpg average. Like the other cars, it sometimes gets the EPA highway number on trips (we usually average about 48 mpg) at 75 mph cruise speeds. In town, the mpg is only 67% of EPA, instead of the 80% of my other cars, though a lighter foot would make a significant difference in around town mpg.

I'd love to see a diesel hybrid MDX. My Prius hardly runs on only electric around town, but frequently does at highway speeds. Combining the low speed pull of a diesel with a diesel's better in town mpg, coupled with hybrid for freeway driving, could make the MDX like an econo champ while still having very good performance.
  • progerproger Member Posts: 44
    2004 MDX bought 2/04
    Back when it was new - City 15-16mpg, hwy 23-24 mpg...great !!!
    Now around 16,000 miles - City 14-15 mpg, Hwy 22-22.7 mpg Tried to get 23 at 60 mph but can't get that fraction. Not bad though - AC on and some luggage and a passenger...1 mile drop...city and hwy...I'm Happy :)
  • strbz70strbz70 Member Posts: 15
    My wife has an 04 with 17K. She does about 70% highway driving and gets around 20-21 mpg using mostly mid-grade gasoline.
  • jsabalajsabala Member Posts: 1
    I'm debating on buying the entertainment DVD that is optional vs adding in an after market one. How is the drop down screen in the center vs having the screen in the front headrests? Thanks
  • jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    just came back from a 250 mile trip on a new mdx tour. got 22mpg which were all highway approx. 70-75 mph. not bad for such a heavy suv
  • mark99mark99 Member Posts: 6
    Picked-up my new base 06 last Thursday. Decided to take a drive in the country yesterday. Started with 3/4 tank of gas (first 1/4 tank was city driving). Drive in the country was state 2 lanes that required slowing down as we frequently went through small towns. Checked mileage at the end of the trip (approx 225 miles total) at fill-up and got 21-mpg.
  • gsngsn Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased an '03 MDX with an after market drop down unit. I think the benefit of the headrest units is you are looking straight when viewing the screen (vs. up and left/right to a view drop down unit). Also the headrest units can be configured to play separate DVD's so passenger's don't have to agree.
    I think the headrest screens are 7 inches. The vehicle we purchased has a 7 inch drop down which seems pretty small. We're considering replacement w/a 10 inch drop down.
    I was quoted $1300 for a 10 inch drop down system and $1700 for the dual headrest setup for an Advent unit here in NC. That was for a complete system, not replacement of the screen only.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    On the Window Sticker, in fine print, below the MPG Ratings, it states that 'real world' numbers are 13-17 City.

I bought my '06 Touring w/ Nav and RES about 3 weeks ago.
    I was at the dealer for about 3 -4 hours (Long Story) during the pickup, and during this whole time, the truck was outside running in the lot.
    I drove it home (35 miles) and then back to the dealer (forgot something in my trade-in) and then back home again....I was averaging 13 MPG.... I was very concerned.

Since I reset the MPG Average, I've been anywhere between 17.9 and 25.8 MPG. I have not been anywhere near 13 since. The truck now has 1,400 miles on it.
    I do 50% Highway, 50% city.

I don't think you need to break it in to get 17 MPG, but I have been babying my MDX.
    Hard starts WILL drop the MPG to 13-15.
    Also, I've noticed great MPG improvment if I dont continuously fluctuate the peddle to stay with traffic.
    Keep the peddle in one place, do one speed and it gets great milage.... so it may have to do with driving styles too.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    1,500 miles on our new MDX, wife driving, mostly city, but some freeway and our computer is at 15.2 MPG. Less than I would like but much better than the Suburban we sold! :) What's everybody else getting?
  • ms1211ms1211 Member Posts: 11
    I have put 2800 miles on my MDX and it has been only month and half. I am getting an average of less than 15 mpg. This is a big concern.I can only run maximum of 290 miles before I need gas.

Does it need some time to break in or will this mpg remain same. I was thinking it should give somewhere between 17 and 23 and not less than 17. It seems other are getting less mileage too.

I drive to work on highway but hit traffic a lot. With summer time AC is always on so not sure if that is affecting it. With premium gas in today's world of high prices this is taking a toll. Will it get any better??

Chuck
  • veesreekveesreek Member Posts: 3
    I think the 2005 model performs significantly poorer compared to the 2004 model. My brother has the '04 model and I have the '05 model. With complete city driving, gentle acceleration and CONSTANT DRIVER FOCUS on the real time MPG indicator (that shows fuel consumption in real time), my MPG is 14.2. When I mix it in with 80% freeway driving it goes up to 17.2. I drove the car about 2000 miles all on the freeway when I purchased it, averaging about 70 MPH with 4 people and an AC and it gave me 20 MPG. I was quite happy because I thought it was decent and will improve over time, but I think it has worsened if I do the same trip. Just have 6000 miles on it today!

Their weird thing is when I drove my brother's '04 model recently, the real time MPG indicator showed much higher values. I averaged about 18 MPG with all city driving while I do 4 MPG less on the '05 model. Either I've got a lemon or Acura's MPG has gone down in fuel efficiency in 1 year.
    I have the '06 model and I can related to your comments. I had a similar thoughts that I may have got the lemon but apparently that is not the case. I can not go more than 280 miles before I have to fill a tank.

With current gas prices, it seems like a costly mistake now in just 2 months of possession. It is a gas guzzler and is no where close to to their advertised range of 17/23. Not sure if I should contact Acura. I had chosen this SUV cos of its seemingly high mileage.

Chuck
    I have a 06 Touring with Nav and RES.
    I just drove from Massachusetts to Hastings, Michigan and then to Chicago, IL and then back to Mass again.
    Trip totaled approx 2,500 miles.
    MDX now has 4,700 miles on it.

Although most of the trip was on Rt 90 (Major Highway), there was a lot of back road driving in Michigan, and a lot of city driving in Chicago.
    I had hot summer days every day of my trip and I kept my climate control on 68... a/c was always on.
    Car ran awesome, and I have no complaints (Except the seats are less than cozy after 12 hours)

When I got home, I had averaged 23 MPG.

Coming from a 15.8 MPG V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, I am very happy with the MDX.

I do NOT get anywhere near what you folks are saying for fuel economy.

My fuel economy drops a little if I drive a little crazy, but I can't get below 17 MPG even when I try.

I am using 93 octane.
    Fuel economy will drop below advertised stats if lower octane is used.

I thought that maybe my Trip Computer was reading high after seeing so many owners complain, but I am now calculating by gallons purchased and miles traveled.
    The trip computer appears to be dead on accurate.

Don't know why some get better milage than others.
    I guess it would have to do with fuel quality and driving habits.

(I also avoid trips which require driving uphill both ways)
    ;) :P ;)
    Scottm123,

It is really surprising. The numbers you tell are amazing. How can this be possible? This is a big difference. I use 93 octane as advised by manual.

It can not be driving habits as driving on highway I have not used brakes for longer periods, I have used cruise sometimes and I have not used AC sometimes but the average is no where close to what you said. How can it be driving style.

Could be it be particular vehicle? Do you know of any friends who have MDX and would have shared their experiences? I guess other people who get good are not on this thread except you shared this with us? Not sure if I can do anything about it? Can I go to dealer?? Did you get this mileage from the begining or is there some kind of break-in involved? I am already at around 3500 miles now.

Thanks.

Chuck
    I honestly have no idea what to tell you....

When I bought the vehicle, I had plans on buying a different MDX. When I went to pick it up, I was unhappy with it (was missing the RES), and this caused them to prepare a new model for delivery while I waited.
    It took approx 2 hours for cleaning and stuff, and then about another hour for showing me through the vehicle's options.
    Total of 3 hours, which I believe, the car may have been running the entire time.
    I drove home, then back to the dealer (forgot something in my trade) and then back home.
    Car now had about 60 miles on it.
    The trip computer said I was getting 13.7 MPG, and I was GREATLY concerned.
    I reset the computer's history and kept an eye on it.
    Ever since, I have been getting great mileage.

I drive approx 50% backroads and 50% highway (Mass Pike) to get to work, about 45 miles each way. I live in Central MA, so there are plenty of hills and windy roads.
    I average 18.5 MPG or better, depending on traffic.

My trip to MI and IL was almost 95% highway, and this is what helped me get the 23.

I treat the MDX fairly gently, but I'm not afraid to give it the gas for passing and such. I use only 93 octane, as the slight cost increase is better than risking poor economy, and I cant seem to find anyone selling 91 around here.

I went to Acura at 2,750 and asked if I could get an early oil change, as I was going on a 2,000+ mile road trip.
    They said no. Acura uses oil additives to assist in the break-in period and I was told to get my oil change when I returned.

At 4,900, I just got my first oil change yesterday after work.

Filled the tank Wednesday morning, drove to work and home Wed and Thurs. Traffic has been light due to the holiday week.
    My average this week, so far, just over 21 mpg.

It's a new 06 MDX Touring with Navi and DVD (RES)
    Sage Brush on Black.
    I keep a close eye on tire pressure as the sensors only warn you when they are TOO low.
    Not sure if the Touring model's Michelin tires help the fuel economy or not.
    Other than that, I just turn the key and go.
    I wish I had more info for you :confuse:
    Well of the everything you told me, the only difference I see is that I have a Base model. I was not aware that tires can make such a difference in fuel economy may be they do.

At what level do you keep you tire pressure? Is the oil change recommended every 5K miles or 7.5K. I was under the impression at 7.5K. My sales guy had told me that it will automatically remind you so do not worry.

I live in PA but lived in Framingham, MA for very long time so know about the mass pike traffic :-).

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts.

Chuck
  • jervalawjervalaw Member Posts: 4
    Stop and go traffic, I get 14.5 to 15.2. Drove it to Atlanta about a 530 mile trip one way and got 23.5 and 22.2 coming back. AC on all the way. From the above, I gather it really does not like stop and go traffic. It really kills the mileage.

Jerry
  • rayjay2rayjay2 Member Posts: 14
    My '02 MDX Touring with Nav has 29,500 miles and averages 18mpg in city driving and 24 to 26mpg freeway driving.

I think mileage depends on the driver.

ERG valve replaced but other than that nothing to do but change the oil and check the tires.

My lease is up soon.My options are to buy this one,lease a new '06 or take a hard look at the RDX.What do you think?

Ray
    I do know that tires can make a difference but I do not have any information comparing the Michelins to the base model's tires.
    I keep my tires at 35-36 PSI
    Acura says to keep it at 36 but most owners find 34 to be their happy place.

As for oil changes, I also thought that oil changes were supposed to be further between than 3,750.
    The car is supposed to remind you when it is ready.
    My light has yet to come on and when I asked the service guy, he said it should come on every other time.
    That is 100% wrong and I have lost a lot of confidence in him after such a retarded answer was thrown my way.

As for MPG, my only other guess besides driving habits and tires/pressure is the gear selection.
    My wife has a habit of keeping it in D4 no matter how many times I remind her to keep it in D5.
  • dkbrmddkbrmd Member Posts: 2
    Highway 25-26 mpg - I'm sure cruise control helps a lot. City 15-16.
  • bagman2bagman2 Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2004 MDX, standard package. We do mostly all city driving. We are ONLY getting 9.5 - 10 MPG. we have gone back to the dealer many times, talked with a factory rep, and even gone to another dealer for a second test. The factory rep essentially tells us he got 15mpg when he used our car for the day, which is not possible. We feel like we are getting the complete run around and need someones help
    With my 06 (10,000 miles), I could drive with the ebrake on, drag an anchor behind me, and drive to work uphill both ways and not get 10 MPG.

I'm one of the fortunates.
    80% Highway - 20% City
    Getting 23.8 MPG Average with 93 octane fuel and 36psi in the tires. (Tires checked weekly)
  • x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I am interested in the 07 MDX possibly even though I have an 06 Subaru B9 Tribeca. MPG is an important issue. I will only want to switch to the MDX if it is equal or better then the Tribeca.

I would prefer a hybrid but the only 2 hybrid mid size suv are the highlander and lexus rx400h which my parents already have adn dont want the same as them.

so the best non hybrid mid size suv mpg would be good.

already i'm not crazy about the styling of the mdx if it looks like rdx though pics look a little better and will have to see in person. Mostly interested for the superior tech and the increased horsepower etc (250 for the Tribeca, 300 for the MDX?) but now i hear the nav is not touch screen but rather joystick so that is a concern, though it is voice activated so might make up for not being touchscreen now.

but if the mpg is worse then teh tribeca then its not worth the hp it has over the tribeca. the other benefit was the price i might get when my wife gets a TL if we get at same time from same dealer. but her lease up in jan and 07 mdx will prob still be too new and no good deals quite yet.
    I don't understand the draw to the Hybrid vehicles...

The savings in fuel barely, if at all, justifies the cost of the vehicle and scheduled maintenance down the road.

For your example, the Highlander is EXTREMELY over-priced.
    The Lexus RX400h is a beautiful vehicle but the fuel economy is not really there.
    It's rated at 27/31 but real world numbers are more like 22/26.
    That is still great, but is it worth the extra $9,000???

I have an '06 MDX Touring (Nav/RES) and it's getting 23.8 MPG average.
    The 253hp and 250lbs-ft torque are plenty to get it into traffic and up to speed, without excessive fuel usage.

The Hybrids are offering more acceleration without the cost of extra fuel costs but don't offer much more beyond that.
    In fact, they're often heavier and lose a lot in the handling department.
    The Lexus states that it offers the acceleration of a 4.0 V8. The Lexus GSh absolutely flies.. does ok on fuel, but not enough to write home about.

The Toyota Prius and Honda Insight are true fuel saving Hybrid vehicles which get great MPG... but they are expensive and multiple studies have found them to not be worth the cost.

If you buy a Hybrid, do it 'cause you wanna do your part to help the environment, not your wallet.... or your just wasting your money.