Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (owner experiences)

Comments

• salamander3salamander3 Member Posts: 8
    The suspension toughness you refer to is normal. Changing the tire pressure won't help. The prerunner is not a 4x4, but it sits on a 4x4 chassis, so the suspension and related equipment is the same. The only thing separating your truck from a 4x4 is the drivetrain layout.

Make sure you keep the tires properly inflated, and they will wear a long time. I currently have 38,000 miles on mine keeping them at the recommended 26 PSI (I got a 2000 model; yours may be different), and they look great. I expect to get about 50-55K miles out of them. If you go below the recommended pressure, you risk a blowout (all those poor guys with the Ford Explorers can relate to this), your gas mileage will drop, and the outside of your tirewalls will wear really quickly.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Investigate smoother, more "ergonomical for humans" shock absorbers. If you got the TRD package it comes with Bilsteins which, with my 2001 TRD I can tell you are VERY stiff.

With looser shocks you'll lose some off-roading capability but gain back some comfort.

Monroes or the like should do ya. Any that will emphasize a smoother ride.

John
  • shakyshaky Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 Pre-runner v6. Has any current owners added a Flowmaster muffler to their trucks. If so, was it a 2 chamber or 3 chamber muffler?
    Any noticeable performance gains?
  • bigbayoubigbayou Member Posts: 7
    I like the more formidable off-road capability of the Prerunner, but I'm awfully surprised that there's no manual transmission offered, only the automatic. Here are some questions for Prerunner owners:

How is the auto tranny? I'm used to manual, and I dislike the lack of responsiveness inherent in many automatic designs. What's your take? The price increase over the extended cab SR5 four cylinder is about $2K, and I'm having trouble justifying it when the Prerunner is mated to an auto. If you were looking at a manual and still got sold on an auto Prerunner, what helped you in your final decision?

In general, I think that a 2001 Prerunner would be a good fit for me, I'm just put off by the idea that they're only available with automatic transmissions.

Hopefully I'll hear some owner testimonials that will temper my bias.

Thanks,

bigbayou
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    I guess this isn't a shot in the arm for the PreRunner since I test drove it alright...

Then got my V6 4X4 5Spd Manual. I don't know if it has more umph but it sounds and feels better to me knowing I decide when the truck shifts.

I shouldn't knock the PreRunner though. Just if you think you'll miss the stick in your truck...you will.

John
    I'll miss that little bugger sticking up through the floor that makes the truck go. Hmm... If Toyota made a stick in the Prerunner, that would be the truck for me.

bigbayou
    I did my research.

I drove the multitude of trucks.

I compared apples with apples and apples with oranges.

And the Prerunner was the flat-out winner of all the heats.

The automatic is so smooth that I'm beginning to lose my "manual only" mantra.

Despite its low price and impressive options, the Ford Ranger didn't do enough to satisfy my doubts.

The Nissan Frontier, too eager to please, didn't blow up my skirt because of its ugliness and its bizarre aura of tacky reliability.

Did I leave out Chevy? Oops, I wonder why I never bothered to even test drive one...

bigbayou
  • dcabman1dcabman1 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone on the board know of an effective way to temporarily disable the daytime running lights option on their Tacoma? I know this sounds a little strange, but there are times when I want to briefly disable the DRLs on a '02 Tacoma. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • tacoma4metacoma4me Member Posts: 14
    dcabman1, check out Tacomaterritory.com. They have a FAQ section that lists some how to's and I remember seeing on in there about disabling the lights. Might hook up a toggel switch to the one lead that you have to snip, that way, you can flip them off/on. If it where me, I would opt for one of the light up toggels.

good luck
  • dcabman1dcabman1 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks tacoma4me for the recommendation on the DRLs. I'm a little nervous cutting wires on a new truck, but with good, detailed information on how to complete this procedure, I'll give it a shot.
  • mototroymototroy Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Tacoma PreRunner (V6,auto) that I am considering towing a 4900 lbs. (max) two axle, Electr brake camper trailer. Does anyone have experience as to how the truck would do? I really don't want to upsize trucks right now. Also,does anyone know why the owners book says they (TOY) recommend NOT using a weight distributing hitch set up with the this truck. The dealer stumbled on this question.
    Thanks, Mototroy
  • travinhtravinh Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    I am about to buy myself a prerunner V6 Xcad. I talk three sale men from different Toyota dears.
    Two said that the TRD made the ride on Freeway
    and City street feel discomfortable than the one WITHOUT TRD. Please give me your oppion.

Thanks,
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    you are going to have to go test drive one. if you ask ten people, 5 are going to say it's too stiff, the other 5 will say it's just right. it's all personal preference and what you're used to.
  • chiweihochiweiho Member Posts: 51
    http://www.draw-tite.com/index2.asp?page=towfacts

or http://www.draw-tite.com/

towing facts, good luck, let me know how it gos, gotta tow a mustang on a trailer.

• jjaggersjjaggers Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to buy running boards for my 2001 Regular Cab Prerunner. Anyone know a good place to buy that will install them?

Thanks,

Jim
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    A curious GM owner wants to know. Thanks
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    performanceaccessories.com
    4wheelparts.com

You can probably find some at the pepboys. Why do you need boards? For looks?
    Prerunner is a vehicle that runs the course prior to the race.
    In Toyota world, Prerunner is an I4 or V6 truck, 2WD built on 4WD platform, so it has the same groundclearance as 4WD. Reasonable 265 BFG ATs, only automatic transmission. People who buy a truck like that mostly use it for high-speed offroad races, like desert. With good driving, it can go quite a few places where a 4WD can go.
    on the road and always wondered. That's interesting in that having come from NY I always did think more clearance was just as useful as 4wd in the winter. Always thought it would be nice to have cars with more clearance for that part of the country.
    When I started shopping for a truck (never owned one, I came from the car country), I just fell in love with the height of a Prerunner/4x4 Taco. Everything was right....sitting up high, V6, manual, I had to get a 4x4 for the manual transmission, but I'm not worrying. Clearance is fun when you are looking down at the Ranger boys, or some 16yo punk in daddy's miata.
    in the Summertime. Sorry ladies, that was totally uncalled for!
  • betsypbetsyp Member Posts: 12
    I'm in the market for a Tacoma, but am having trouble deciding between Pre-Runner and 4x4. I drive off road, usually in the desert on non-maintained roads which can be steep, bumpy, and with loose gravel. I don't know much about the Pre-Runner...Do you think it could handle this type of terrain? Being a new truck buyer, I don't know how to compare. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Toyota dealers haven't been very informative.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    My response to you is that a prerunner could definitely do what you need it to. Only you might want to look into getting the locking differential. I have it in my prerunner and it provides alot of added traction in loose dirt situations. However if you get into lots of really tite, off-camber situations, muddy spots, or times when you just need slow crawling ability; 4wd is what you mite need to look at. Prerunners are awesome and very, very capable off road. If price and insurance is an issue -- look long and hard at the prerunner (TRD and V6). If money is not that big a deal, there's no substitute for 4wd (and this is coming from a die-hard prerunner owner). Ill be glad to answer any questions you have - I think I can help a good bit.
    saddaddy,

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that all pre-runners have the locking differential, so your info is helpful. I am interested in the Pre-Runner primarily because it will be the vehicle I use for a lot of city communting as well off road. It sounds like a happy medium between the 4wd and the 2wd.

I will be back with more questions as they arise. Thanks again.
    One question I forgot to ask....

I am considering a regular cab, Pre-Runner, which, I don't think, comes in V6. Do you think the 4 cyl. add enough off-road power with the regular cab? Or should I reconsider an extended cab in order to have V6?

Thanks again.
    My brother-in-law just sent me this email...

"An officer at work has one of those toyota pre runner trucks (CALLED something like a TRD- toyota racing development). He said he looked at all of the trucks available before he bought it and the toyota beat everything hands down. It has an electric differential lock that can be engaged on the roll. He says he has never gotten it stuck where he couldn't engage the lock and rock himself free. He says the 4x4 is for going very slow, being in deep mud, siltly soft sand( more like dust or baby powder) and icy snow. If you plan to drive on bad roads with rocks and sand the prerunner will do it all with no problem. you may be able to get through some deep mud and soft soft silty sand , but you'll have to drive it a little bit harder and faster. That is what that truck was designed for. It's a tuned down Baja / desert style race truck that can take you to work M-F and play on the weekends. He has the V6 extra cab, but no turbo. his truck has 40,000 miles on it and he hasn't done anything to it except change the oil, and put gas in it. He drives it hard 80-85+ on the freeway and has jumped it (rear wheels 4-5 feet in the air) numerous times. He says to tell you if your looking to by a new truck, the only choice is a toyota".

Does anyone share similar off-road experiences with the locking differential? Sorry to be dragging on with this topic...but I feel compelled to do my research before buying.

Betsy
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    4WD lo range IS for rock-crawling.locking diff IS as good as 4WD hi range for many situations,but not snow or wet icy pavment.People who drive thier trucks hard and jump in rough rocky terrain are the ones that us responsible 4 wheelers have to winch thier broken vehicles out.ANY truck will handle rough roads even without lockers,but take it easy.
    kip
    to follow up on kg11's response, 4wd LO is for slow going through sand, muck, etc. 4wd HI is for snowy/icy roads, etc at normal driving speeds. The locker too is really only for use at slow speeds in nasty terrain. you can't just engage the locker if you're tooling down the road at 50 mph and see some icy patches ahead. that's where you need 4wd (HI).
    As for prerunner vs 4wd, I would say if you live in a climate with snow/ice, absolutely get the 4wd. the "TRD" package (which I think is available in the prerunner as well as 4wd versions) is basically an off-road package which gives you tighter suspension, locking rear-diff, bigger tires, and skid plates. the locking diff can be had without having to get the TRD package, although it would probably be harder to find.
    Generally, I agree with your brother-in-law about the durability and capabilities of the tacoma. In my opinion, it's 2nd to none. But I would never be jumping my ride unless it was a beater and I had plenty of spare parts with me.
    hope that helps!
    After a lot of questioning and research, I've decided to get the Pre-Runner, TRD, with the locking differential. I really appreciate all your advise and information. It has been a great help.

My only decision now is if I should go with 4cyl or 6cyl. I prefer the gas mileage of the 4, but I'm concerned about power, especailly off road.
    Also, My sister's mechanic said that some of Toyota's V6 engines had a problem with blowing a head gasket at 90K. Has anyone else heard this? The mechanic recommends Toyota, but to avoid certain years. I'll probably go with new. I would love to hear your comments.

Betsy
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    The Toyota V6 head gasket problem was fixed, I believe, in 1995 or 96. The problem started when Toyota removed asbestos from the gasket material. Toyota stood behind their product, even replacing the engine with a short block if necessary. It's no longer an issue and shouldn't affect your choice. The V6 has a lot more power and makes the truck much more enjoyable to drive in my opinion. If you want the extra-cab, you'll have to get the V6 as the 4 isn't available with that option. Anyway, drive both and see what you like.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    sums in all up.
    kip
    After a lot of shopping around, dealing with dealers, etc. I finally found a Pre-Runner, TRD package that seems reasonable. I also found a dealer who actually exhibited some knowledge about his product. So, I would like to get some feedback on costs.

The dealer offered be a deal of $500 above invoice. A pre-runner with a TRD package, extended cab and V6, and the Convenience package (power windows, etc. which I don't want, but seems to be standard), plus the SR5 package comes to $20,395. This seems like a lot to me. Does anyone has similar comparisons? I would love to know.

Thanks again.

Betsy
    I'm back. Believe it or not, I'm re-considering the 4x4. After talking to friends, I am reminded that there are times when I may need the 4x4. They may not be many, but on occasion.

What I really want, and always wanted, is a 4x4 in regular cab, but according to the Southern California dealers, these are nearly impossible to find. This is when I learned about the Pre-Runner, TRD.

Anyway, does anybody know why the 4x4 in Regular cab is such a rarity in this part of the world? I find it strange.

Betsy
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    If you're looking to by used in So. Ca., the Toyota 4x4 is really popular here and doesn't last long on the market. If you want a new one, may I suggest Carson Toyota. Try putting in a request at their website for a "Quick Quote" on exactly what you want. They're one of the few dealers that will give you a no hassle quote and even order what you want if necessary. http://www.carsontoyota.com/master_wecare.html
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the 4x4 vs. prerunner thing. In slick situations, the prerunner - locker or no - will not steer very well. The front tires turning helps alot. In short, I think the 4x4 will help you go through stuff more slowly and more safely. I imagine that if you even considered a 2wd, the prerunner could get thru anything YOU need it for. However, at times you might have to rag on it and hit the the tuff spots a little harder to keep up momentum. As far as the v6 vs 4cyl -- most people say that they wish they had the v6. The 4cyl has "enough" power, but again the v6 will make you happier I believe. I know I haven't been around to help lately, but I'll keep up here for alot now. Also go to the message board at www.tacomaterritory.com. The guys there no more about off-roading and tacomas than anyone. They will answer any question cuz so many of them who have had the same questions. I'll be around alot to help here, though. Your questions are welcomed.
    I finally purchased my tacoma, 4x4 regular cab, but I had to go to Sacramento to get it. This 2002 model absolutely does not exist in Southern California. I even had dealers tell me that Toyota didn't make the 4x4 in a regular cab any more. The guys at Carson said they never saw one. Isn't that strange? Anyway, the truck exists, but in places near Sacramento, Auburn, Folsom, etc.

I love the truck! It feels strong and solid. it doesn't have the "umph" of a V6, but Toyota doesn't make the V6 in regular cab anymore. It's a great little truck and I am pleased with the purchase.

I've learned a lot during these few weeks. Sometimes I think I know more about Toyotas than the Toyota dealers. I have certainly learned to stand my ground when a dealer tries to sell me something that I don't want. Having correct information really helps. Thanks again for all your information and advice.

Betsy
    Believe me......4-banger is extremely potent offroad. We had a little get-together yesterday with TTORA members (www.tacomaterritory.com) in San Antonio, and one of the 4-bangers went through rocks an Xtracab wouldnt. Short wheelbase is a king.
    congratulations on the new truck!! BTW, that's a standard car dealer trick. If they say things like, "Oh, I don't think toyota (or any brand for that matter) makes that model any more..."
    all that means is that they don't have it in stock!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    What do you guys think is reasonable for a 1998 Prerunner, avg. miles, no other options. I've talked with a couple dealers and they're asking close to original MSRP, sheesh. There seems to be a wide gap between the Edmunds, KBB, and Nada guides web sites. I'm thinking of buying a Prerunner for my son.
    Don't know for sure, but I would think that you should get a 98 std cab, 4cyl, for around 13K-14K at the most. That may be off base, but it does make me feel good that these trucks are holding their value well. I have a 2000 prerunner and was a little skeptical of how the 2wd variation would be - resale-wise. Feel free to ask any questions, man. By the way, there's no better truck for a son.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I checked on Edmunds and a 98 Tacoma Prerunner, which first came out in that year, only in the Extended Cab, has a trade-in of $8519 and dealer retail of $10520. I agree though that Toyotas and Hondas (which I own a CRV and Accord) do hold there value quite well.

Are the prices listed on Edmunds what I'd expect to pay? I haven't checked on the dealers lot yet, but on AutoTrader.com they're about 11-12K without options, which is exactly what I'm looking for, a 1998 Tacoma Prerunner Extended cab.
    I would think that the price listed on edmunds and other sites could be a starting point at least. From $10-12K would be a pretty good range to expect from the lots. Again, not positive. I would think that the edmunds prices would be a fairly good idea of what you might pay. There should be a little discrepancy between v6 and 4cyl as well. So watch for that. Not much help - sorry.
  • tclemonstclemons Member Posts: 31
    This information may or not be of any help to you, but here goes. We are in the northern VA area and my son had been looking for a 98/99 SR5, x-cab, V-6, 5 speed for about 2 months, and everything he found was god awful expensive -- it was just about the cost of a new one.

On Monday, he compromised and bought a 99 SR5, x-cab, TRD, 4-cyl, 5 speed, with 34K miles for $14,200. Dealer was asking $18.1 but offered it at $17.1. I showed the salesman a printed copy of their web page offering the truck at $14,650. The salesman looked shocked (yeah, right!). Went in to the sales manager and came back and took our offer. The salesman said he was really unaware of the internet deal but said the sales manager knew about it because he put the ad on the web. Salses manager said they rarely ever get someone coming in as a result of their web page, but since I had printed out the ad, they honored it. According to KBB, the value was about $18K. Edmunds showed the value at about $15.7. Don't know why there is such a large difference. Anyway, he is happy with it (except that it is white), but it is really clean with no dents or scratches. I tried to buy a 2002 Pre-Runner v-6, automatic, but the best price I could get was $20,800 + tax, title, etc. I bought a 2002 Frontier XE, X-Cab, 4x4, V-6, automatic for $19.6 out the door. Really wanted the Toyota, but just too much money, particularly since tax and title needed to be added to the Pre-Runner.
  • jakutajakuta Member Posts: 16
    Just started researching the above truck and have a few questions:

1) Are power seats (or at least driver's seat) available?

2) Keyless remote available?

Thanks in advance!
    I do not think that power seats are available on any tacomas. However, remote keyless entry is available with the RS3200 security system option. Its a $500 dollar option. Will you opt for the TRD package? I have a 00 prerunner with everything but cruise and bucket seats, and I absolutely love it. Any other questions, I can probably help a good bit.
  • croccroc Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I just bought a 01 Pre-runner TRD a month ago after 3 years of disappointment with a Subaru. I had an '81 4x4 for 11 years of trouble free driving-despite some rugged adventures into the moumtains. I always missed that truck and always wanted another Toyota. So far I love this truck. It's not only my first v6-(thirsty, but what the heck)-it's my first automatic-(I guess I'm officially old!). I drop in from time to time and cruise the Toyota sites so I'll be talking to you!
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    My fiancee and I just purchased an 02 Prerunner 4X2 with the 2.7L four and SR5 package. We absolutley love the truck, but I am wondering how to get more power out of it. Can you add the supercharger? If not, what other suggestions to you all have?

Absolutely GREAT little truck!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    in it.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I drive a 2002 Maxima SE and I LOVE the engine that car! What a coincedence!

It WOULD be great if I could give it that engine, but alas, I can't! Other suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.