Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Real World MPG

1363738394042»

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited April 2011
    At what mileage did you have the head gasket job done? Sans the (potential) head gasket job, I look forward to 4 TB/WP changes or 440,000 miles on an 04 Civic A/T.

I just had the 110,000 interval TB/WP changed @ app 118,000 miles (a modest 8,000 miles over due) From what I can swag, the belts could have easily lasted to 150,000 miles.

110,000 to 120,000 miles are really the mileage the "major" tunes are due. With an eye to multiple cycles, I had the valves checked and adjusted, spark plugs changed and retimed, A/T and coolant changed. The thing that triggered the whole thing was the front brakes needed changing.

The fuel mileage started off in a range of 38-42 mpg (daily commute 54 miles R/T- for which the majority are done 83%), where it remains (second TB/WP change) and at app 121,000 miles.
  • mobius007mobius007 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced it at around 250,000. Did it myself for a cost of less than $150.

The car will hit 350,000 next week, and still no problems.
  • faastufffaastuff Member Posts: 2
    RE: lower mpg with higher speed...my 1995 Toyota Avalon XLS will get 28mpg highway 70mph or 80mph on long trips. I measured this on a recent 700 mile round trip. Years ago, the car got 29.5mpg highway 70mph or 80mph. The V6 seems to not care whether it's 2500rpm or 2900rpm. Faster does burn more gas per hour, but you're taking less time to get there. Aerodynamic drag and tire rolling resistance, etc go up at 80mph but my Avalon does get the same mileage either way. I am meticulous in my calculations. (Next car will be either 2010 Honda Civic EX or 2012 Hyundai Accent SE.)
  • chunnicuttchunnicutt Member Posts: 2
    I am driving a 2012 Civic Coupe LX and have been OCD about tracking my MPG because that was my sole reason for getting a new car. Granted I could have bought a car that gets higher MPG (Toyota Prius), but I am a Honda fan and like the looks of the Civic Coupe much better than the Prius - plus the Prius cost more.

Anyway, my driving consists of 60 miles of all highway driving each day with about four slow down/acceleration points. I set the cruise control on 60 mph and am in the ECON mode almost all the time. At nearly 3,000 miles I have filled up 7 times. My average is 43.2 mpg with my best at 44.1 mpg. I have higher octane gas in right now and am interested to see what happens.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I bought my 2012 Honda Civic LX lease in late Novemeber 2012. Cold weather seems to affect mpg quite a bit. In the warmer weather of November I was getting in mid 40's combined, close to 50mpg on highway. Has dropped about 7 mpg in cold to really cold weather. Overall, much better mpg than I expected, so reallly pleased as engine is still breaking in at only 2,000 miles.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • lakerskobelakerskobe Member Posts: 31
    Where are the 2013 owners? What MPG are you getting on your Civics?

I am still on my 1st tank of gas so don't know the MPG yet. The digital MPG is all over the place so not reliable until I can do it manually at my next fill up.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    edited April 2013
    Don't get too excited either way concerning mileage until you actually do the calculations at the pump. At that time you will likely find that the digital gauge is pretty close. Maybe .5 mpg to 1.5 mpg optimistic.

I went to purchase a Civic, but ended up with a Fit due to it's cargo space.
    The Civic is EPA rated slightly higher than the Fit, but this post should still prove to be accurate enough for purpose.

My 14+ drive home from the dealership on back roads, with a few traffic signs and lights yielded 41+ mpg. WOW "I'll take that"!

Stayed at the house a short while and ran some local errands. 2-3 miles at a time for maybe 15 miles or so. Getting out and shopping quickly 4-5 times.
    The avg MPG dropped to 33 mpg. So effectively we were likely getting http://www.toptiergas.com/

Kip
    Got 53'mpg during a 15 mile trip to work. MPG in Civic seems to suffer a bit in cold weather. With temps in mid 70's it really kicked buttock. Can't wait for temps in 80's and 90's. LOOKING TO GET 60 mpg. :surprise:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Let us know what you're getting in overall fill-up averages. Those are a better tell than 10-20 mile snippets that leave greater room for error. That's great to hear though!
    I would say overall average (80'% hwy 18% city and 2% other) has been around 39mpg. That's been winter driving.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    would say overall average (80'% hwy 18% city and 2% other) has been around 39mpg. That's been winter driving.

That sounds pretty good, though I'm intrigued with the "Other" part... It could be anything!

Hopefully drag racing or rock crawling. That'd make for some awesome youtube vids. ;) *Insert sarcasm here*
    I just did my 2nd ever fill-up and got 37.4 mpg. Was expecting 40+ mpg since not much bumper to bumper traffic here. But only driven 500 miles so hoping it'll be better after break-in period.
    If that 37.4 mpg was calculated at the pump, (not just the dash readout), I'd say you are doing well. Especially for a new engine.

Your average is approaching the EPA estimate of 39 mpg. And it most likely will get better with more miles on the clock. Of course the use of AC may bring it down 1-2 mpg.

Good luck,
    Kip
    Yes, did the calculations myself since the readout fluctuates too much (as low as 19mpg and as high as 49mpg).

I live in a rural area with occasional stop signs and lights so I guess 37mpg isn't too shabby, especially since I was getting 17mpg in my previous vehicle.

40+ MPG would be awesome especially since I passed on the Insight (too wimpy) and Prius (too small & ugly).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    edited April 2013
    Ugly is personal taste, but the Prius is bigger than the Civic. Quite a bit more interior volume and a few hundred pounds heavier. The Civic may be an inch or two longer since it has a trunk.
    edited April 2013
    Meant to say your average is approaching the EPA estimate for Highway.

Absolutely a good thing. :shades:

I had considered a Prius when purchasing our fit. That "Estimated" 51 mpg was mighty inviting. Did some serious research and it seems they don't actually get that generally speaking.
    But for the sake of discussion, let's say they do.

My Fit average is 33.3 on the low mpg tank and 36 on the best one in local day to day driving. Generally in the mid 35s. So I'll use 34 as an average for me.

In 100K miles the 51mpg Prius would consume 1960 gallons of fuel. The 34 mpg Fit would consume 2941 gallons. So that would be a 980 gallon difference and $3921 more dollars, at $4 per. . .$3430at $3.50 per.

Those savings would not pay for the difference in initial cost. Unless there is some kind of really big tax credit. Then the possible extra cost of an Extended warranty or out of pocket expense that might ensue due to the complexity of the Hybred system.
    And would the battery pack replacement be close or already have been replaced at a substantial expense.

Would I even keep it for 100k miles, and what happens to the resale as the time for the battery pack replace draws near?

FWIW I did drive an Insight, a Civic, and a Fit before deciding. The test drive was a 16 mile round trip. With rolling hills, starting with cold engines. Speeds in the 45 to 55 mph range and only one stop. The Insight got 54mpg, the Civic 48, and the Fit 49. Realizing that they wouldn't get that type of mpg in real world with traffic and stops, but for that particular test, the results were surprisingly close.

Got a bit overwhelming, so I decided to stick with the relative simplicity of a gas only platform. Liked the driving experience of the Civic best but decided on the Fit for the extra cargo room, which we need.

Kip
    Civic has more:

Front & rear legroom
    Front & rear headroom
    Front $ rear shoulder room
    Rear hiproom

Prius does have more front hiproom.

Civic has much higher passenger volume (95 cu ft vs. 87)

Civic is much longer at 179.4" vs 157.3".

I am comparing 2013 Civic sedan LX vs. 2013 Prius C... the only Prius I considered since it was the only one under $20k.
    I too liked the Fit and seriously considered it, but what turned me off was the small gas tank and the upcoming redesign. Plus the Civic was just $1500 more and figured the higher MPG would pay for the difference in a few years.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Prius C is smaller, but there was no C in the first post. ;)
    No way I'm paying $6k more for a Prius 2 or whatever it's called. Would rather get the Accord!

According to my calculations, it would take 20 years to recoup the extra $6k in gas savings.
    Well, over a 3 week/700 mile period I averaged 38.2 mpg combined. That's probably averaging 68-70 mph hwy.

The 2%"other" by the way is going up 6 floors at my works parking garage every day. :P
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Great decision my son has the Civic and we looked at the other cars, MPG on the Civic is awesome vs the cost of the Prius don't listen to those two idiots because if you go on other Honda threads you will see there so called expert opinions about Accords and CRV's they are obsessed with reading about cars than ever working on them, they must be MIT grads.
    I don't know how reliable or accurate the readout is but I just did 53MPG! It was a 40 mile romp through the mountains at 45mph. I couldn't believe my eyes so took a photo of it. Also saw a dead deer in the road, same road where I had passed a few mins earlier. No, didn't take a photo, too morbid. Poor Bambi!
    Last month averaged 39.1 mpg combined.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Guess the newer models do so much better. Mine's an '06 and am lucky to get 33 on the highway and 30 in the city. I like the look of the '09 to '11 model and the better color choice but am just gonna keep my '06 for 10 years at least even though I would like something newer...makes no sense to get rid of right now. The '12 and '13 models do nothing for me and are no longer the benchmark in it's class. I still love mine and plan on keeping it for the forseeable future.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• martin13martin13 Member Posts: 21
    so what is the benchmark in its class?
    You probably have a lot more pep in your 2006 than I have in my 2012. Not sure if same engine, but my 2012 seems as if it is tuned / built to optimise mpg. Torque and horsepower fall into the "adequate" catergory.

Yeah, must admit my 2012 does not do a lot for me. May turn in when lease up. But, it's great for what I bought it for...MPG and reliability.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Right now, I think it is the Hyundai Elantra as I think it gives the best bang for the buck in every category...and I get to try most brands and models of vehicles at my current job. That's just my opinion...yours may be different which is o k to. We can always agree to disagree!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited September 2013
    Averaged a whooping 51 mpg highway during 30 mile roundtrip to pick my son up from school. It was 54mpg going to... and 48mpg coming back. Cruised at 55mph, 60mph and 65mph with the a/c on. About 91 degrees outside, fairly humid... Not sure of barometric pressure. I did accelerate until I got to cruising speed when merging onto interstate, before I set instant mpg monitor. Those are hybrid numbers for a non hybrid car... anybody jealous? ;-)
  • thwipp89thwipp89 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    i'd say the bulk of my typical driving is 65-70% city and i drive with a very heavy foot, which i know kills my mpg. i usually average about 30-32 mpg. slightly worse in the winter (i'm in chicago), as some seem to report.

i hadn't done a longer road trip in awhile but recently did 2 roadtrips- one was 80 miles, the other was 200 miles and i averaged 39.0 and 39.5 mpg and that was with using the A/C much of the time. i was pleasantly surprised but a lot of that was with cruise control, so my heavy foot wasn't in play as much. i didn't think that was too shabby with a car that's 10 yrs old with well over 100k miles.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    " I did accelerate until I got to cruising speed when merging onto interstate, before I set instant mpg monitor. Those are hybrid numbers for a non hybrid car... anybody jealous? "

Not really, my 2008 Escape will return maybe 45 MPG under those circumstances, depending on speed. The battery enhances the hybrid performance when accelerating or in the city; if one simply hits the reset on the guages at speed, it all comes down to the size of the engine and the speed (plus a bit for the cD, which is much larger on my SUV).