Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    My 2007 AWD has around 18,000 miles on it now. My regular commuting mileage has slowly improved from around 18 to around 20 mpg. Best tank ever was 24.5 mpg.

Mine doesn't have the VCM like the new Pilots or the higher gearing like Kip's Pilot.
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Joe,

There are 225 TSB's on my 03' Pilot.
    One of them deals with Engine not reaching operating temperature.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.html?styleId=100076605&engCode=6VNA- - G3.5&transCode=AUTOMATIC&mileage=36%2C000&zip=30215&type=tsb&serviceType=#48

I still believe that it possible, some of the Pilots are not reaching proper operating temp, This could be something as simple as a faulty thermostat.

If it doesn't reach proper temp, it may not lean out like it should and fuel mileage suffer. Don't know if any error code would be registered. Very possible no codes would register because all sensors are dealing with a "cool" engine. So they may not sense a rich condition as a fault, because the temp is still calling for "rich".

The Scan Gauge II is the handiest gadget I've found in a long time.
    It shows lots of engine data as well as various fuel mileage configurations.

I've found that even though the temp gauge in the dash shows the engine to be warm, the actual temp may be in the 165 range. Once fully warm the temp goes to 181-182. Sometimes as high as 190 in heavy traffic.

The SG has helped me improve mileage an additional 1-2 mpg over and above the mileage it was already getting. My Pilot, has been averaging 17-19 in local driving. I gave enough throttle to allow the tranny to shift at 2000 rpm without lifting my foot. Surprise to me that allowing the shifts to take place at 2200 rpm, without lifting the foot, seems to have helped the MPG by about 1 mpg local. Much over 2200 and the mileage drops back off again. A couple of other things have allowed the local driving to creep up to 19-21 average.

On the "X-way" there is very little difference between 60 and 65 mph. But 70 mph drops mileage about 5 mpg. 80 mph is awful! :sick:

In local driving, does anyone "KNOW" if the car gets better mileage at 45 while the torque converter is still unlocked, or at 50 when the TC has locked up?
    Asked that question because most of my commute route has a 45 mph speed limit. So that question "Bugged" me. Now I actually know.

This gauge has more than paid for itself as entertainment. Getting better mileage is a wonderful side effect.

Kip
  • Options
    update to post 960

# 41 (on above link) states a code P-0128 associated with thermostat insufficient temperature. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the computer will pick up on it. "Little things mean a lot". ;)

Kip
  • Options
    pnara09pnara09 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Just bought 08 pre-owned and getting 13.5 MPG.
    Very disappointed. Vehicle has 13000 miles on it.
    Thinking is this the reason why earlier owner traded-in the vehicle.
    it is Honda certified, can I expect any help form the dealer to improve mileage?
  • Options
    What type of driving are you doing?
    City, back road, X-ways
    How long is the typical drive?

Example: My commute to work is 6.5--7.5 miles, in light traffic. There are 3 + traffic lights- depending on which route I take. Can usually run the 35-45 posted speed limits and often able to time the lights to my advantage.

Most trips are similar to the work commute, but shorter.

The heavier the traffic the worse the mileage.

One frequent commute is 4 miles. With a cold engine on cold days the mileage is in the low teens. With a warn engine on mild days, (without AC) the mileage can be 21+. If not careful with the throttle, those can easily drop 2-3 mpg.

Recently got stopped on the X-Way. Crept along between stopped and low gear for a couple of miles for about a half hour. Mileage was horrible!

So, what type driving, what type traffic, what type terrain, what type load is normal for you?

Kip
  • Options
    jimbomarjimbomar Member Posts: 4
    In December 2008 I bought a used certified 2007 Pilot with about the same miles as you had, and experienced the same disappointment with the gas mileage :sick: . I was getting about 13 mpg around town and about 15 on the highway. I took it in to the dealer who looked it over and said the vehicle was operating perfectly. A few things I found out which made a big difference was:
    1) Gas mileage is worse in winter than warmer moths. I live in CT where we can have very cold weather, but never experienced a noteiceable difference in mileage with any other car.
    2) You need to drive the car (especially starting from lights, stop signs ect) like a grandmother would drive. Try to keep the RPMs to under 3 when starting from a stop.
    3) When the car reached about 18,000 miles my mileage improved to 17 around town and 21 on the highway.

I found using cruise control on the highway and keeping the speed to 70 when using AC I still got about 21 mpg. Hopefully you will have the same expeience. Good luck!
  • Options
    Kip,

That looks like a cool little gadget. I just took a look at their website and I had to walk away, because if I keep looking, I'll probably have to buy one.

Joe
  • Options
    bobncbobnc Member Posts: 12
    I just returned from a trip to Nashville TN. Interstate all the way, drove the posted speed limit on cruse control, 23.5 mpg.

Honda Pilot Touring, 2009 AWD with 5800 miles.
  • Options
    Joe,

The thing is addictive. Most help is that you can reset the "Current "Trip" (average) mileage at will to measure the MPG for any stretch of road.

Recently my neighbor and I took a trip of about 40 miles one way. It was all back roads going and the posted speed was 45-55. Mileage going was in the 28 mpg range for the entire trip.

When the engine is turned of for 5 minutes or so, the "Current Trip" re sets itself, and considers we are taking a new trip.

Coming back we drove a few miles of back roads and got on the the X-Way. There was construction and the traffic was moving at a pretty constant 55-58 mph. I used cruise as much as possible and stayed up with traffic. The terrain was gently rolling hills. Outside temp was about 68 degrees. Front windows were cracked about 2 inches and the AC was off.

After about 20 miles of driving, the display said we had gotten 32.1 mpg "Average" so far for that 20 +/- miles of the trip. Just after that the construction ended.
    At 70 mpg the mileage drops into the 21 mpg range

For that tank of gas I drove a total of 379 miles. I knew when I was filling it up that the car was leaning a little more to the right than when I normally fill it, but was in a hurry, so didn't reposition the car. The gauge said I used 15.7 gallons and the pump said 16.2 gallons. The gauge said I got 24.1 mpg. Hand calculations said 23.39 mpg. Gauge said I drove 380 miles. Odometer said 379 miles. That is close enough, as I figured it would take a little more fuel because of the way the car was sitting. I expect this next tank to get a bit better than the gauge indicates because I put in more gas than it thought I would.

A tank before that, the gauge said I drove 334 miles, used 16.5 gallons, and averaged 20.1 mpg. Hand calculations and odometer said 333.3 miles, 16.42 gallons and 20.29 mpg.

Almost every tank has figured extremely close to what the gauge registers. The few that may have been off by 1or2 MPG were mostly contributed to the way I filled the tank. On some tanks, the gauge is a bit high and on others a bit low. But usually within a couple of tenths.

One discrepancy could be because the gauge also measures movement and mpg while backing up. I don't think the odometer measures movement when backing.

Point is I have no reason to believe the gauge is not accurate measuring mpg.

A Pilot is capable of achieving decent mileage if the driver is willing to do his share. I took a trip today of about 49 miles each way. Going over, I did not run the AC. Coming back I did run the AC and dropped nearly 2 mpg. For some reason the AC seems to affect mileage more on back roads than on the X-Way.

Get yourself a gauge and have some fun. :)

Kip
  • Options
    I know I would enjoy playing with one of those.

I have a few questions. At what speed do you get the best mpg, and have you tried to use the horsepower gauge and other special gauges, and did they work for the Pilot?
  • Options
    Joe,

The Scan Gauge II is the only one I have used.

Most of the time it is on the "Current" setting which is showing the constant average for the particular trip I'm on at the time. As stated earlier, that can be reset at any time, even while moving, and that is considered a new trip to the gauge. When the engine is shut off for 5 minutes or so, it re sets itself and considers the next driving time a new "trip". That trip can be a few feet or hundreds of miles.

If the car sits for 10 or more hours, the gauge will start a new day. A button press will bring up the "Previous Day", and another press will bring up all the info for that "Tank", since the last fillup. And those screens can be analyzed.

If it's been reset several times during the day, and you want to know how you are doing for the entire day, pressing the button will bring up the "Today" screen. That one has been keeping track of the "Current" averages all day, and displays them as one average. And that screen can be analyzed.

The other screen I use a lot is the "Gauge" screen. There are several options for that. My favorite is the one that shows instant mpg, rpm, water temp, and speed.
    As with most screens that one can be scanned for more info with a single button.
    It will show maximum rpm, max mph, average mph, avg rpm, max water temp, Etc..

You would be amazed at how very slight grade changes can affect mileage.
    Also amazing, to me, how a stretch of road that appears to be flat isn't.

Overall the best mileage speed seems to be around 58 mph. That is for the rolling hills in my ares. They are not steep. They just seem to be continuous and long.
    Seem to be always going up or down, with very few flat roads.. On what appears to be flat ground 52 mph seems to work best. However on these hills the tranny seems to shift down more often. Hills that may not cause a downshift at 58, will likely cause a down shift at 52. Of course once it has down shifted, it stays there until cresting the hill. However not unusual to see the mileage dropping as the hill get steeper, then when the downshift takes place the mileage actually go up 1 or more mpg.

Increase or decrease in "instant" mpg show the grade changes to often times be somewhat different than what the eye thinks it sees. And Contrary to my years of preaching, I'm actually getting best mileage with the Cruise Control ON.

The mileage will drop for a few seconds when an 18 wheeler passes from the opposite direction, probably from the air pressure it is creating in front of it. When they pass from behind, mileage goes up. Head winds, tail winds, and even cross winds have their effects.

Best mileage for local driving seems to be, when starting from a stopped condition, to use just enough throttle to allow the tranny to shift, without lifting the foot, at around 2000 rpm on flat found or down hill. However when starting off up hill, shifting at 2200-2300 seems to be more economical.

Of course coasting instead of braking, timing traffic lights and stop signs, not tail gating and so forth all contribute to better mileage.

The absolute best mileage I've gotten in the Pilot, other than down hill stretches, was a run of about 6 miles on I-20. Rolling hills and all. It was a little over 34 mpg.
    Speed was 58 mph, No AC, calm winds, driver only, That was brought to an abrupt halt by a traffic jam due to an accident.

Worst X-Way mileage was 18 MPG. Rain, driver and 3 passengers, 75-80 mph, AC on, Cruise used little. That was the total average for a trip of about 350 miles.
    Return trip the next day had the same number of people, temperature was the same. It was not raining, AC was used only when needed, Speed was 60-65.
    That tank averaged right at 27 mpg. That is a good indicator of what speed and use of AC can do to mileage. But the fact that 2 different gas pumps were involved, could have also made a difference. I could have "Crammed" more gas in when we reached Myrtle beach , which could have contributed to the poor mileage. And with that extra gas in the tank , refilling in Atlanta would not have taken as much at my Favorite pump and would have contributed to great mileage as calculated.

Once the Gauge is set up properly, it kind of takes differences in re fueling procedures out of the picture.

Yeah, I know. Too much information. :sick:

Kip
  • Options
    #1990 of 1990Re: Real MPG Honda EX [kltron] by targettuning Jun 09, 2009 (5:21 am)Save | Reply
    Replying to: kltron (Jun 08, 2009 8:36 pm)

decent?.....respectable? are hardly terms I'd use for fuel economy in the lower to middle 40's especially in a non-hybrid vehicle. Call it what it is....fabulous!!! We own a 2006 EX automatic sedan equipped with a ScanGage and our most recent trip of about 40 miles on I-81 registered 42.6 mpg on it (the ScanGage). I originally refused to believe such claims BEFORE the ScanGage but now see it is possible.
  • Options
    tornadogtornadog Member Posts: 102
    I have owned my EX for a week now. My trip meter says my mileage is 15.1 mpg, which is abysmally low even for city driving. What could be causing it. Also the car had 120 miles on it when I bought it. In m excitement of buying a new car, I forgot to ask the dealer about it. Isnt that a bit too high unless it was a demo?
  • Options
    poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I get closer to 12 MPG's in the city in my Touring, so be happy with your 15+
  • Options
    Isn't 15 the EPA City figure?

If the city driving involves lots of traffic and traffic lights, you are doing good to get 15 MPG.
  • Options
    Don't worry about the 120 miles. It could have been a trade with another local dealer who needed a different trim for a customer.

15 mpg seems a bit low, but it might improve with more miles. My mileage kept improving until I had 15,000 miles.
  • Options
    Joe,

Just an update on the Scan Gauge vs odometer, etc..

From the git go I had to tell the SG that the Pilot is traveling a bit faster (and farther) than it's default. That is a permenant setting until the driver changes it.

With that setting the TANK MPG, miles driven, fuel used, and so forth agree with hand calculations at the pump. Therefore the instant and avg trip mpg are probably also real close.

Now when the speedometer needle is sitting on 50 mph, the gauge says 52 mph.

Got a Garmin 265WT GPS a couple of weeks ago. It agrees with the SC on the speed.

Kip
  • Options
    I wouldn't think the speedometer would be off that much. Do you have bigger tires?

I haven't checked the Pilot. I used to check them by watching the milepost markers and timing them at 60 mph. We used the neighbor's GPS in the Odyssey the other weekend. That speedo was accurate.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    While my '06 Accord is dead-on, even with its new tires, my girlfriend's '07 Santa Fe GLS (with orig tires) reads about 2 mph faster than actual, based on her Garmin 255.

It is allowable (legally, anyway) for the odometer to be off by as much as 5% (or 3 MPH either direction at 60MPH); I assume this would stand for the speedo too. Yea/Nay?

I don't own a Pilot, I typically just lurk and read here, but thought I'd comment.

Happy Hondaing!

TheGrad
  • Options
    Still has original tires.
  • Options
    go_orangego_orange Member Posts: 28
    Almost time to give back our 2007 Pilot EXL AWD, after nearly 3 years and more than 40,000 miles. We averaged 17.88mpg overall. Best (highway) was 22. Worst (city) was 14.

Looking forward to replacing it with something that will average 20+ mpg. Still need a considerable amount of space for passengers and cargo, but willing to give up 3rd row and down-size to a crossover, something bigger than the CRV though. Would like more comfort and luxury too. The new RX350 might fit the bill this time around. We shall see.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    RX350 is now made in Toronto, Canada.
  • Options
    go_orangego_orange Member Posts: 28
    Averaged exactly 18 mpg after 3 years and 44,000 miles of a mix of city/highway. Very few long trips. Tended to get about 20mpg on those, with a best of 22. Worst case was about 14mpg in mostly local driving.

EPA for this vehicle was 17/22 at the time I got it and was subsequently adjusted to 15/20. The 15/20 is consistent with my personal experience.
  • Options
    steveinpasteveinpa Member Posts: 5
    Mileage has been disappointing. Around 17.8 Prior Honda CRV averaged the hw epa numbers. Hopefully will improve as gets broken in.
  • Options
    poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Consider yourself lucky, my 2009 gets roughly 13MPG in mostly suburban / short trip driving.
  • Options
    denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I drive perhaps the worst kind of daily driving - 2 or 3 trips each day of 2 or 3 miles each, with an occasional 5-6 mile trip thrown in. I'd ride a bike if I had a path and no kids to haul.

Almost no highway driving. No long trips, yet (now have a little over 500 miles on a new Pilot). I'm averaging 14.5 mpg. It goes up immediately to 15 with just one 40-minute trip to the airport. So I see upside.

Used to drive a 1993 Corolla, and with the same driving it averaged about 22 mpg. On the highway on long trips it did 35mpg+.
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Member Posts: 6
    We've had our pilot for 18 months and love it! It does reasonable on MPG but we didn't get it for that though I think the 2WD helps a little there. It does equal or better than most vans. I have found it gets best MPG in warmer weather (april-october here). It is well broken in now with 28k miles. I live in suburban richmond, VA so I don't drive in real heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic much.

We have been averaging 18/19 around town and 24/25 HWY. I have even had 400 mile RT on I-95 in the summer where I have gotten 27 MPG HWY. Worse HWY MPG was during holidays in heavy traffic with 6 adults, loaded to the hilt, and I still got 22 MPG. Overall average for us for the 28k miles is around 20.3 as 75% of my driving is around town. We have been quite pleased!
  • Options
    My 2009 Honda Pilot 4x4 Touring has 9,000 plus miles and my average fuel
    mileage is 21.5 mpg. I drive around town but most of my driving is on the I-40 and I-95.
    Great car to drive on the road and in the snow in the mountains of NC
  • Options
    kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    my 2010 pilot exl 4x4 average 19.9 mpg. the car is about 4000 miles.. 90 % highway. I am hoping to get 22-23 mpg after my first oil changed..

jeffinva, 21.5 mpg is after oil changed?
  • Options
    Yes, the MPG slowly gets a bit better. My 20.3 is with about 75% around town driving. You should be able to eventually get closer to what you are hoping at 22/23 if you are driving 90% HWY.
  • Options
    No, my 21.5 average was before my first oil change. On interstate driving I have adverage 23 mpg.

My first oil change was around 9000 miles. I was surprised that the cost of the oil change at a honda dealer in Nashville TN was only $23.00 and was completed in about thirty min. I hope that my mileage will improve after the oil change.

Great car!
  • Options
    very interesting.. I also have some questions. what is your psi on front/rear tires??? what type of motor oil? do you use 87 or 91 octane? I drive very slow (60-65 mph) and easy on gas.. my 2006 camry le V6 average 28.8 mpg..

my pilot oil life is 60% .. so I have to drive more. :)
  • Options
    Front and rear tires 34psi. Oil Honda. Gas 87 octane, Shell.
    I drive on the interstate at around 70 mph.
  • Options
    thanks for the info bobnc.

here is an update. my pilot ex-l 4wd have 4200 miles.. I have been using the highest octane on my pilot since I bought it.. motor oil hasn't changed yet.

I am using octane 91 chevron, which is also known as texaco.. today I turn off the fan/AC.. I drove 100 miles. 95 % highway. ( 60-65 mph).. I average 21.9 mpg.

so I really think 2009, 2010 pilot are capable of 24-28 mpg highway driving after 7000 miles.. we should take advantage of VCM.

I read on the forum that other pilot owners are not happy about mpg.. If you drive speed limit, drive carefully, you will get better mpg..
  • Options
    >"here is an update. my pilot ex-l 4wd have 4200 miles.. I have been using the highest octane on my pilot since I bought it.. motor oil hasn't changed yet....
    I am using octane 91 chevron,"

Try Shell 87 octane and take a trip with the cruise set at 62-65 mph. :)
    Kip
  • Options
    There is no need to use 91 octane. Chevron is a great gas, so 87 will still have cleaning agent Techron in it. 91 octane does not have more energy in it so it won't give you better gas mileage. High octane gas was mainly for high compression engines to prevent engine knock and engine damage. All cars these days have knock-sensors in them to prevent pinging and damaging the valve train. Save your money for that oil change and maybe switch to synthetic oil. My Pilot gets great gas mileage if I cruise around 55 mph (24mpg). Unfortunately, I don't drive on those roads very often. Most of the time the speed limit is 65 or 70. I am still getting 18 to 20 mpg during regular commuting.
  • Options
    I believe octane 91 or higher will be better for Honda Pilot. Pilot weight about 4400 lb. Many people are not willing to pay preminum gas on the Honda pilot.. so honda put knock sensor on the pilot which can run 87.

pilot have 10:1 compression VTEC engine, just like MDX.

I am running chevron octane 91 to produce full power.. bobnc suggest me to use shell. So I am going to test it out and let you guys know the result.
  • Options
    >? I am running chevron octane 91 to produce full power."

I agree with Joe, and for the reasons he pointed out.. No need to burn 91 octane for most driving conditions.

Under certain conditions, that could result in the combustion chambers getting unusually hot, higher octane could be beneficial. Those are probably covered in the owners manual..

Driving in the mountains with a full load.
    Towing a heavy trailer.
    High speeds on a really hot day.

Car companies want bragging rights on fuel efficiency. Doesn't it make sense that Honda would recommend "Premium" fuel if it would get better mileage?

Compression isn't the only thing involved with needing Premium fuels. Valve timing and ignition timing play a role also. Your Pilot is "Timed" to run on 87 octane. It doesn't analyze the gas you put in it, so it still runs like there is 87 in the tank.
    There would be an advantage with 91 in certain conditions, when the engine might "Knock" and the computer would retard the timing a bit more with 87 than it would with 91.

Kip
  • Options
    I have only used 87 octane. Like other posters here, I don't think a higher octane is needed unless you need extra power for a haul or mountains. I keep my psi on whatever honda recommends (I don't recall off the top of my head). I've never asked about the type oil when an oil change is done. I typically drive 0-5 mph over the speed limit and try to avoid quick accelerations though I also don't "drag out" accelerating either. I watched the ECO light for the first 6 months and used that to help "train my foot" For the size of the car, I'm happy with 18 town / 24 hwy
  • Options
    The 2010 Pilot has a 10.5:1 compression w/ 3.471 cc displacement and 253 hp
    (needs reg unleaded)

The 2010 MDX has 11.2:1 compression w/ 3.664 cc displacement and 300 hp
    (needs premium unleaded)

Todays standards for gasses are pretty tight, some are a bit better for your engine but none should make a significant difference in mpg.
  • Options
    so your point is the engine with 10:1 compression doesn't need preminum 91 or higher..

If you look at 2006 MDX which has 3471 CC 10:1 compression, required 91 or higher.

Of course you can use octane 87 on Acura MDX, but you are going to loose some HP.. for normal drivers wouldn't probably notice.

I do believe Honda Pilot engine really need octane 91 or higher. because of the weight of the car, and engine.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes, for 2006 you are correct and make a good point. Both the Pilot and MDX have the same compression ratio and displacement (I made a mistake in my prior post, I meant to show 3.471 Liter).

Yet the MDX gets a higher HP rating? I imagine the MDX engine computer was "tuned" to perform better than the Pilot because it is a premium brand of car (Acura vs Honda) and people expect more for the premium price they pay. This performance tuning, things like increasing the maximum ignition timing through programming of the computer, requires premium gas to prevent pre-ignition or "pinging" during hard acceleration. Thats when timing needs to be advanced the most. If an OBDII sensor detects pre-ignition because the octane is too low for the MDX, it will compensate by adjusting some engine controls, such as retarding the timing. Maximum performance would not be achieved.

But I don't think the Pilot can achieve more HP with premium gas because it was deigned and programmed to run on regular. I think the computer has its limits and as long as the gas is letting the computer run everything at optimum, then that's all she's got.

I set the timing in my old truck by manually turning the distributor cap. It also has a vacuum advance and centrifugal advance. These methods are primitive compared to computers but they helped the car run more efficiently. The specs for my truck call for 2 degree advanced. I can advance it up to 6 degrees before I get any pinging. I keep it at 4 degrees to prevent any pre-ignition that I can't hear. I have always run premium in that old thing.

Anyway, people should feel good about whatever they do. A lot of stuff is opinion (including my babbling) and folks should do the things that increase the enjoyment they get when driving their vehicles.

Edit: Hey, check it out. Post number 1000 in this thread.

:shades:
  • Options
    I always fuel up my car with chevron 91. It always show 420 miles range at 2 different chevron gas station after fuel up.

today I fuel up with shell V-power, the miles range show 429. I will let you guys know if shell gas brand give me good mpg.

so far shell v-power is excellent brand. performance is great. no problems going up on the mountains ( 8000 feet ). the car breathe better.
  • Options
    kanatah0ndakanatah0nda Member Posts: 1
    I sell Pilots and 87 is all you need. 91 octane is a waste as stated above the engine is designed for 87 and will not perform any better or different with 91. If you beleive it does it is probably because you have convinced yourself of it.

:shades:
  • Options
    Every "miles to empty" computer I've ever seen calculates this based on MPGs over the last few hundred miles. Ford, Hyundai, Toyota. Hate to break it to ya, but that computer isn't analyzing the fuel and saying "yep, this gas feels a little better than the last stuff." It just means your driving style and/or how much fuel was in the tank meant mathematically, you'd get a little further on that tank.

I've read several different articles mentioning how the higher resistance to ignition of premium can be a detriment to your mileage. I don't disagree or agree; I'm no engineer.
  • Options
    Octane 91 like chevron, shell, brand name have more cleaning agents than 87. In the long run of using 91, it will maintain your engine max performance.

lets say you drive 15,000 miles a year. 20 mpg. regular vs preminum 91 difference is .20 cents. Using preminum will cost you $150 more.

yea I believe 91 perform better than 87.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    At Chevron (I know at least in Alabama because I have bought it exclusively for years) there is the same amount of cleaning agent in 87, 89, and 93. All feature "Techron."

I've used 87 in my Honda all of its life with no problems or performance issues at all. I've only got 209k miles on it though, so its not nearly used up.
  • Options
    Hi jeffinva,
    you mentioned you got 24 hwy. is that 2wd or 4wd? how often you average 24 hwy? I assume 24 mpg only show couple minutes....

please post the prof.. thanks
  • Options
    haleypophaleypop Member Posts: 4
    I'm wondering if there is any site that rates gasolines by the amount of energy they produce. Diesel produces something like 17% more energy per gallon, probably because it is denser. I suspect that there is a difference in brands of gas.

The best car ever was my 98 Honda Accord. It had a sweet spot at 88 mph. More than once I got 27+ mpg at 88 but when I had to slow down to 70, I only got 22 mpg.

One thing I did notice over the years was that if I used synthetic or synthetic blended oil, the mileage didn't improve after changing oil.

My 4 Hondas run smoother on premium gas, but I can't tell any difference in fuel mileage.
  • Options
    >"Octane 91 like chevron, shell, brand name have more cleaning agents than 87. In the long run of using 91, it will maintain your engine max performance. "

Please show proof....Thanks!