Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (owner experiences)

1235»

Comments

• estevesesteves Member Posts: 12
    I don't suppose there is an intercooler installed with the supercharger? If not, can an aftermarket intercooler be installed.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm still learning about the details of Toyota engines.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    I don't think there is any type of intercooler available for Tacomas. It would certainly be an extremely useful accessory - so I gotta believe that someone is working on one. Just haven't heard about anything specific. I remember a post like this over at the TTORA site about 6 months ago, and the answer was that no one made one. A believe a member was trying to fab one up on his own but wasn't making much progress. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
    I understand the supercharger boosts horsepower to 260 hp. Does anyone know the torque increase. I don't suppose there is a dyno chart posted somewhere on the internet.

Interestingly enough, an uninformed sales person at the local Toyota dealership said 265 and another said 270 increase for the supercharger.
    is 267 ft-lbs. That is a 23% increase according to what I have read. I can't find the dyno chart that used to be at performanceproducts.com. The torque curve is not only higher but smoother as well.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Maximum hp gain at 5200 RPM is + 75 hp.

Maximum torque gain at 5200 RPM is + 77 lb.ft.

Peak hp increase is 64 hp (187 hp – 251 lb.ft.)

Peak torque increase is 50 lb.ft. (225 lb.ft. – 275 lb.ft.)

Supercharged V6 produces as much torque at 1800 RPM (225 lb.ft.) as the normally-aspirated V6 does at its peak.

http://www.trdsportparts.com/default.asp?page=supercharger
    I'd like to thank everyone for their prompt answers.

I hope to be sitting in a Double Cab PreRunner Tacoma in the next three months.
    such prompt answers from me is because work is soooo slow right now. Hehe, but you are welcome. If you really want to learn everything there is to know about your truck, go to the message board at TTORA.com. There are so many people there that know everything, and I mean everything, there is to know about tacoma prerunners and 4xs. Have a good one.
  • cubster1cubster1 Member Posts: 11
    hey gang...wanted some feedback on the suspension setups on the Tacos (x-cab or double). I read in Four Wheeler that the Bilsteins were the way to go for the smooth ride but Toyota went to Tokicos. My brother just bought a new double cab 4x4 w/ everything and it rides like a brick. Seems the one I tested at the dealer about 1 week ago rode with more forgiving suspension and both trucks wear the Tokico shocks. Maybe air pressure? Maybe different package w/ TRD (brothers) vs. non-TRD (what I test drove). Any feedback is appreciated.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Toyota really messed up with putting Tohico shocks on Dcab, thats why they lost the last 4wheeler (I think it was that) competition. Air pressure certainly has a lot to do with it, but you ought to be able to tell whether or not the tires are inflated properly.
    Lets put it this way: if you buy a Dcab, you got no choice but to go with Tohicos. My Xtracab, TRD, came with Bilsteins, and I can't tell that they are too stiff/mushy. Yes, I sometimes bottom out if I'm offroading a little too fast, but overall Bilsteins are good. I think the best way to go is this: testdrive your truck for an hour or so, or better yet, ask if you can take the truck to drive it for a couple of days or so (I had mine for a week before I signed the papers) to get a feel for it: there's a couple of issues that you need to be aware of: first, the stiffness of the suspension. If your passengers can't ride in it, what good is a Dcab anyway? Second is seats. Seems that everyone but me and few other people complains about how sucky the seats are. Well....I can't tell. I've been on 1100 mile trips (16 hours non-stop except for gas), and the seats are fine, but you may think otherwise. You can't tell how good the truck is in 15 minutes you testdrive it.
    If you buy the truck, and decide that suspension still sucks, then Bilstein shocks aren't that expensive, and you can replace shocks with a help of a friend (or alone, with a right set of tools).
    And yes, TRD package provides stiffer springs. Your brother should really go away from Tohicos and put some decent shocks on. I guess Toyota decided to go with Tohicos because of increased weight of the DCab as compared to Xtracab. I'm sure he can find a set of shocks that work.
  • imacpc1imacpc1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2002 Pre-Runner Double Cab V-6 that has developed a "clunk" from the rear after rapid braking such as in stop & go traffic. The truck has a stock suspension and I have been advised the problem might be axle or spring wrap. Im told this is where the rear leaf springs are too soft and compress into an "S" upon acceleration instead maintaining a "bowed" position. This then puts a twisting or wrapping force to the axle that causes a "clunk" when released (or unwrapped)by letting off the brake after deaccelerating. Ive noted that the clunking does not occur if I let off the brake just before the truck fully stops. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so, is it caused by axle wrap or something else. Would welcome your comments or suggestions.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    What type of shocks come on a regular Xtra-Cab 4cyl Prerunner?

Obi
  • temple1temple1 Member Posts: 3
  • temple1temple1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Double cab PreRunner and I get a noise from the A/C when the engine is turning 1200 - 1500 RPM. I have been to the dealer twice and they say that this is normal. Is everyone else having this problem. It only seems to happen on hot days. The sound is almost nonexistent at night and early morning. It is very irritating on the way home in the afternoon. I can hear it over the sound of my radio. Anyone have any advice or experiencing the same howling noise?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Join us NOW for a chat with Brent Romans -- everything trucks! 8 pm ET/5 pm PT.

Click here!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• beachobxbeachobx Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma for driving on sand at the Outer Banks. Does anyone have any experience with how the Tacoma 4WD handles in sand?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    just make sure you lower tire pressure to 6-8psi.
    4WD won't save you if you get stuck bad anyway, if you get stuck, you get stuck bad.
This discussion has been closed.