Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Prerunner (owner experiences)

a6chrisa6chris Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I juts bought a new a new Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner
V6 extra cab, 900 miles on it and man it is GREAT!
I love it. I always wanted a high quality TOYOTA
and now I own one yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!!!

Dave

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..is that like Jumbo shrimp?

- Tim
  • debbie31debbie31 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Prerunner V6 extended cab--which I love. The only thing I don't like is the gas mileage which has been 17 highway. Is this common/normal? I have ~3000 miles on this beauty. Could something be wrong?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Wrong with a Toyota?? NEVER!!!!
  • a6chrisa6chris Member Posts: 15
    My Milegae too is - not wonderful, but then again, I figure 3.4 V6, gearing etc, I just live with it. Best of all it is a TOYOTA reknown for it's quality! I love the looks from the big trucks here in TX, I know they are thinkin it's a "runt" truck" - but we will see whom is still on the road 10 years from now, me or thier big american iron clunkers. Case in Point, my wifes NEW 2000 PLymouth Voyager suddenly lost the tachometer and speedo this weekend, and then it came back! after a "restart" of the engine, and it also ocassionally does other odd things, like running rough on a cold start, and then a "re-start" make it smooth back out, These are things I do not expect I will ever see occur in the TOYOTA, but are indicative of the still remaining "lower quality" found in american made cars.
  • shakyshaky Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 Pre-runner v-6, that gas mileage improved after about the first 5k miles and oil chnage. Best I 've got is near 22 per gallon doing mostly freeway. See if it improves with more miles.
  • debbie31debbie31 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to Dave and Shaky for their positive comments. I'm looking forward to a little better gas mileage now...will drive my truck more in hopes of accomplishing this goal!!! No matter, I still love it!
  • interex_xinterex_x Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Prerunner V6 XTcab and I love it. I can relate exactly to Dave. I too live in Texas and get the same looks from those big unstyled, oversized, pickups. I love the body on my Tacoma, it just looks styled! My gas mileage varies: 17 City (if I drive it like a baby), as low as 13 City (if I drive it hard), and usually about 22 highway. I just checked the Blue Book value on it: only $500 less then what I paid for it! These trucks hold their value!
  • jgates1jgates1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 V-6 prerunner XTcab. Here is the ticket. Buy from and have the dealer install the TRD supercharger like I did (that way it falls under the full factory warranty) and the big boys will not feel so big next time you leave the light together. (It is more fun if you avoid putting any of the TRD supercharger stickers on the truck.)

I get about 14/16 mpg around town and 20 or so highway if I don't put my foot in it a lot. On the other hand the supercharger requres premium gas but what the heck.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner is now available. Here's the direct link to the Spin Around Town: 2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner, by Neil Dunlop. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • eds6eds6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new Toy Tacoma Prerunner XTCab V6 at the end of September. I get 21/22 mpg mostly highway miles. So far I love the truck, peppy and looks great. My only concern is initial quality. The drivers auto door lock quit working, and I'm having problems with the remote entry. This is my 3rd Toyota Truck and the others had no initial quality problems. The dealers service department has no concept of Customer Service but then again they are a car dealer. At any rate I'll get these minor problems worked out and the vehicle is all I expected.
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    I'm curious....what SR5 packages are people getting on their PreRunners?

From pictures, I am opposed to the chrome package as it draws serious attention to the grille (not my favorite design Toyota has come up with).

The color keyed packages seem a bit nicer but I suppose when I visit them in person I'll know.

Thx
  • chip31chip31 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 PreRunner, extra cab, with the 190 horsepower V-6. By way of background, my old truck was a 1990 Toyota regular cab 4x4. When I traded it, it had 160,000 miles on it. I felt the truck could have easily gone past 200,000 miles, had it not been for the fact that I regularly drove it into the surf in Galveston, Texas. The topside of the body was fine, but the damage caused by the salt water exposure to the underside of the frame, and, I suspect, the engine seals, contributed to my ultimate decision to replace the vehicle. Needless to say, my new PreRunner won't go swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, so I'll probably be driving it well beyond 200,000 miles. I chose the PreRunner for three reasons: (1) I didn't need the four-wheel drive that much anymore. (2)I liked the power in the V-6 (my old truck had the 4-cylinder engine). (3) I don't like buying new vehicles every four or six years, so I wanted an absolutely bullet-proof truck that would still run like new well after the loan was paid off. As far as performance, I am a bit disappointed with the gas mileage, but it's a fair trade-off for the extra power. The truck is very comfortable, handles well in traffic, and has no problems merging onto a busy freeway. I have not been off road yet and I honestly don't intend to do the extreme things I did with my old 4x4. But I will eventually make it out to the Big Bend with this truck to see just how well that locking rear differential works. I'll let you know how it went.
  • pickupman2001pickupman2001 Member Posts: 1
    I just love my new toyota tacoma single cab pre-runner. its just me and its a hoot to drive. i baby the thing so much its like my only child
  • tinindianatinindiana Member Posts: 46
    I am interested in the Pre Runner with a V6 and a regular cab. I can't seem to find anyone who has one or even pricing with that configuration. Is it even available?? Any input is appreciated!
  • east489east489 Member Posts: 8
    Here in Michigan a dealer told me the Pre Runner is not a big seller. However, I still feel I would like to buy one. I like being a little higher off the ground (safer)
    1. Do they handle like a 4x4? Is the the ride smooth?
    2. I am considering a PreRunner4Cy 150HP xtacab.
    3.How the gas mileage on the 4 vs 6. Im reading the comment on the 6 and a few have expressed the fact the mileage is not that great.
    All feed back appreciated.
    Thanks
    RonP
  • east489east489 Member Posts: 8
    Do u have a 4 or 6. I have a 1990 6cy 148,000
    going strong. But thinking of the 4cy prerunner.
    How your mileage and whats it got on it. Would you mind sharing the price you paid with acces.
    Thanks
    east489@wwnet.net
  • glenn54glenn54 Member Posts: 23
    I live in Maryland and was considering the prerunner. I was wondering how it tracks in the snow compared to the 4x4. Any thoughts?
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    It's simple if you live where it snows then get the 4x4 model.Many times i have tried my tacoma in 2wd in the snow and it just doesn't cut it plus the 31 inch tires are so wide that it's that much worse.Put it in 4wd and it's a tank! I think the prerunner is a great idea but not for snowy conditions and i think the first snowstorm you would see my point.Oh and bombing around in a good
    storm while everyone else is stuck or at home is a
    good time.
  • srunner2srunner2 Member Posts: 5
    I have read that most v6 tacoma owners complain about the gas mileage. I was wondering if the owners had manual or automatic transmission on thier trucks? I am thinking about buying a toyota S-runner (Tacoma Xtra cab v6 5speed/sport suspension and exhausted) And I am worried about the fuel efficiency.

Thanks for your help! happy Holidays!
  • toddztoddz Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2001 V6 PreRunner TRD and after 1500 miles i seem to get about 19 mpg mostly without the A/C on.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    Couple of questions:
    How well did the 4X2's with locking rear hold up during this latest Midwest storm? Are they somewhat OK in 3-6" of snow?

How much is Toyota charging for the TRD Supercharger? What are they charging for the install?

Thanks in advance..
  • webbdwebbd Member Posts: 176
    I have 29,000 miles on my prerunner v-6 and am averaging 18.7 MPG. This is all city and when I do go on trips, that number can dip to around 18 MPG for 70-75 MPH. I rarely get anything lower than 17.5 or higher than 19.6, so the mileage is very, very consistent. I have kept records from mile one, and these are the results.

For those of you wondering about the Prerunners vs. 2wd or 4wd models, here is a little insight.

The Prerunner sits on the 4x4 chassis but, of course, lacks the 4wd. It rides just like the 4x4's--firm. If you get the TRD package w/ Bilstein shocks, expect an even firmer ride. Of course, you'll thank the toyota engineers should you venture into a field of medium to large rocks or potholes as the firmness will keep your insides on the inside.

For those wondering about whether they should go with the 2.7L or 3.4L V-6, there really shouldn't be much discussion. The 3.4L V-6 is the smoothest, most efficient V-6 in a pickup. It produces over 80% of it's torque at 2500 RPM's. The extra weight of the prerunner, whether reg. or ext. cab, demands the extra power of the V-6. The 2.7L is adequate at best in the Prerunner. Yes, it will cost more, but in the end, you'll thank yourself.

The supercharger can be bolted on by the dealership in around an hour, and the last time I saw, the prices were around $2400-2500 which may or may not include installation (sorry, I didn't check into this.) The supercharger bumps the HP and torque by 70 horses and pounds for 260 HP and 290 lbs. torque. Get that in the prerunner ext. cab which only weighs around 3350 lbs. (3280 for '00 model, heavier for newer, feminine-grilled '01 models)and you will do 0-60 somewhere in the 6 second ballpark. I wish the magazines would do a roadtest for this model, so we could know the performance for sure.

Hope this helps anyone with questions.
  • jacko5jacko5 Member Posts: 2
    I own a '99 PreRunner V6, ext cab. I have added a K&N filter kit from Downey, so far. More to come. My gas mileage went up to about 17.2 (combined), from about 16.5. The horsepower increase is yet unknown, but it definitely passes better on the freeway.
  • dmatsudadmatsuda Member Posts: 1
    The V6 engine is not available in a regular cab configuration. For a Regular cab you have a choice between two four cylinder engines, the larger one producing 150hp and gets 19/21 mpg. The V6 is rated at 190hp(17/19 mpg) is only available in extended and double cab versions.
  • 1scoot1scoot Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to purchase my first truck. I think I should get a 4x4 because I live in southern New England where we get snow, but is the cost worth it compared to the 4x2? There is snow on the ground here for at most 3 months a year. Can the 4x2 Per Runner handle it with the locking differential?
    Ive tried my tacoma in 2wd in the snow and it pretty much is worthless.....get the 4x4 trust me.
  • I have a Tacoma xtracab 4cyl 5 speed 2WD now (I wanted gas mileage this time), but have had several Toyota 4X4s in the past. I live in Sacramento where it doesn't snow, but when I took them to Tahoe (100 miles away) I purposely got off in the snow to play. It's virtually impossible to get the tires to spin if it's in 4WD. My experience with limited slip differentials is that one tire spins faster than the other, which causes you to slide sideways in snow or ice. If u live in snow country, the 4WD is DEFINITELY worth it.
  • dale46dale46 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a pick up for my 16 year old son. We live in an Atlanta suburb, but he loves to hunt and fish. He is all testosterone. He wants a 4x4 truck. I don't think he will do as much off roading as he thinks. We hunt in Georgia in mostly flat areas. It snows once every two years or so. Can he get by with a prerunner? I'd love your insite. Thanks.
  • ejsegravejsegrav Member Posts: 5
    Just picked mine up a week before the snow started. Live just outside of Chicago.

First thing I learned is how to work the Locking Diff... (Plenty of time to play in the 2 hour commute) Next was to add about 300lbs of sand over rear wheels.. what a difference. It definately reduces the slipping and sliding.

4 X 4 would be nice but I don't go off road and can't see it (except for this year) for only a few days a year. I use the truck mostly for commuting to work and yard/house work.

Love the truck so far. Great heater, comfortable and better than my 89 Corolla in the deeper snow - especially when it freezes.
  • Been shopping for a new truck for the last month. This is vehicle #50 for me, Toyota truck #7... 2001 Prerunner (Impulse Red/Oak) V6 XtraCab SR5, TRD, Power Pkg, Bucket Seats, Cruise, Sliding Rear Window, MSRP $21562, invoice $19795 (in northern California with the Toyota advertising addon). Paid $200 over invoice or $19,995 (and I used to sell cars). WHAT A GREAT TRUCK FOR UNDER $20K ! ! ! I've also owned a few GM full size trucks (last one was a 97 GMC Z71), and have driven just about every kind of truck u can name... and this truck thinks it's a Lexus. Most of my previous trucks were 4X4s, but since I rarely use the 4X4, I decided to buy something that looks like a 4X4, but doesn't have the extra weight, more maintenance, less performance, and less gas mileage associated with 4X4s. Obviously it won't get as good a gas mileage as my last truck (99 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed) but who cares, that one didn't get that great anyway (20/25). Unlike the last one, this one looks HOT, and is FUN to drive, and I can see over traffic. And unlike full size trucks with extended cabs... it fits in my garage!
    Superglide- SOunds like you scored a great price for your PreRunner. I just bought a 2001 as well with everthing. However, the listed MSRP was 23,500. How come yours was so much less? Mine has the TRD, sunroof, cruise, bedliner, power everything, bucket seats, V6 etc... THis is my first Toyota and hope it lasts a long, long time. I ended up paying $23,500 out the door, tax, tag etc... I thought I got a pretty good deal, 7.5 financing, where did you find 3.9??? What kind of milage have you been getting so far?
  • merlhmerlh Member Posts: 8
    I currently own a '97 F150 V8 extended cab and am considering trading it in for a Taco ma Double Cab Prerunner. I'm hoping that you Double cab Taco ma owners can give me some realistic answers to a few questions:

1) 95% of it's use will be the daily commute in manic urban traffic and typical home center runs, but I do flat-tow an old Jeep on occasion. I know the Taco ma tats show a towing capacity of 5000 pounds, but is that a realistic figure? Can the 3.4L V6 be expected to comfortably flat-tow a 3000 b. vehicle at interstate speeds over rolling hills?

2) I have two boys, 8 & 10, that I have to have a back seat for. The F150's back seat is adequate, but I'd really like to have 4 doors on a pickup that I can actually park in my garage. Considering the fact that I plan on keeping this vehicle for a number of years, is the Double cab's back seat realistically sized and comfortable enough for teenagers?

3) When I test drove the Taco ma I had no idea what the "ETC" button was for and never turned it on. I found the engine power to be adequate to compete with traffic, but just barely (maybe because I'm used to a billion horsepower and a million pounds of torque). What exactly does this button do and does it really help performance?

Any and all input is appreciated, thanks.
    merlh- I know something about your third question, i was told that when this button is engaged, your tranny will simply stay in each gear a little longer. I have had my tacoma for 2000 miles and have yet to use it. I was told it hurts gas milage.
  • dcdriverdcdriver Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a regular cab 4cyl PreRunner. From what I've read, sounds like I shouldn't expect to use this to haul my friends to the grocery store when it snows--even though in DC we don't get much (1 inch today). If anyone has experience with a regular cab I'd be interested to hear if you think this is a complete pain in the neck. I'm single, don't drive a whole lot, and don't carry a lot with me when I do drive. Would I regret buying a regular cab? I think they look a lot cooler than extra cabs (no offense), but I'm a little leary of the space issue.
  • My new 2001 PreRunner is the 7th Toyota I've had (though it's vehicle #50 for me). Most of the other Toyotas had the ECT switch as well. I leave mine in ECT POWER mode all the time. I've never noticed a difference in gas mileage in any of my previous Toyotas whether it was in the power or normal mode. It not only makes it shift at a higher RPM, it causes it to downshift earlier like it should when u push on the accelerator to go a little faster. I'm so spoiled by the fact that it is always in exactly the right gear at the right time, I can hardly stand to drive another vehicle with an automatic. In fact, I ruled out the Tundra because it didn't have it. I stepped down on the accelerator of the Tundra to pick up speed, and all it did was lug down, until I practically had it floored. This IS NOT GOOD for gas mileage. I had hoped the dual mode transmission in the new full size GM trucks was like Toyota's ECT... but alas, it isn't. The towing mode is totally funky... and stays in the same gear when u let up, (with a typical american clunk) instead of shifting back to the gear it should be in. The best gas mileage is achieved by having the engine at the right RPM for the job it's doing. Sorta like going up a hill in 5th gear with a 5 speed and flooring it instead of downshifting to 4th. The fact that you're in 5th will not give u better gas mileage. Gas mileage is determined by how far down on the accelerator you're pushing. I've been in plenty of economy runs, and check my gas mileage every tank... and pretty much know what will get me better or worse mileage. One of the other things I've learned is that if u have the cruise control on and u start up a hill, it's going to do the same thing... push down on the accelerator a great deal to maintain the set speed. I can get considerably better mileage by not using the cruise control if you're in hilly terrain, for that reason. Just leave your foot as steady as u can. This causes me to go a little slower up the hills and faster down the hills. The only time cruise control will give u as good a mileage as a steady foot, is when you're on flat land and driving a steady speed. If this new PreRunner had leather seats and wood on the dash, it would say LEXUS on the back! I'm really impressed!
    The ETC button is the "power" button as toyota owners know. It allows the engine to rev about 500 rpms higher in each gear to achieve better acceleration. You can leave it on all the time, and your gas mileage will only suffer IF you drive like you have the button engaged. If you drive normally, the transmission will change gears at its regular engine speeds.

Gas mileage is not going to be great on the V-6 regardless of which model you go with. My '00 Prerunner has averaged 18.67 MPG in 29,689 miles. Considering the DC weighs about 500 lbs more, you'll probably get around 17.5 - 18 MPG. Of course, I drive conservatively, so yours could even be worse than that.

As far as towing, others will tell you this and that, but if they don't actually own a toyota, their opinions are just that--opinions. I've towed a U-haul trailer totaling about 3200-3400 lbs at an average of 70 mph with no problems. I live in TX, so we don't have real mountains, but there were hills like you would encounter on almost any drive. If you are going to be driving under or around 55-60 MPH, you can switch off the overdrive, and you won't have the annoyance of the transmission downshifting on all the hills. The OD is a pretty long gear (under normal driving it comes on at 45 mph), and if you tow, the engine will be kicking down a lot especially in the 45-60 MPH range. I averaged 14.1 MPG while towing, if that helps you.

As far as the interior room question, I don't have a clue. My version of comfortable is probably different from yours.

Dcdriver, I had '98 reg. cab and it's okay for the single guy with no friends or no life, but if you want to carry anything like luggage, groceries, etc. without getting it wet, the regular cab is pretty limited. You may not like the styling of the ext. cab, but if you need the space, nothing beats having the protection of the extra cab.

By the way, I agree with Superglide on the cruise control issue. Whenever I do the driving up and down hills on a long trip, I always get better gas mileage. But if I let the cruise control do it, my mileage is less.

Happy hunting.
  • hot4ridnhot4ridn Member Posts: 2
    Having researched, owned and now parting with a 2000 Tacoma, here's what I've learned:

The V6 engine averages about 17-18 mpg (pre-runner & 4WD) period; if you get more, lucky you; take good care of your unique truck.

Towing:
    Referencing the above post, would recommend the 4dr 2001 version w/ V6--preferably supercharged--and towing package. As in #23, it's heavier, has more useable room and easier access. Venturing into the mountains and/or driving faster than normal hwy speeds while towing 5000 literal pounds will cause a great desire to A). Sell truck; B). Install Supercharger.

Improving Fuel Economy:
    To improve mpg, you must slow down, make alterations and/or spend $$$ For example: Amesoil TS-115 air intake, modify air box
    (see http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm), have computer re-mapped (Taco's inhale gas above 75 mpg, this can be corrected somewhat), exhaust system upgrade, smaller hwy (not all-terrain) tires and keep at rated psi, decrease ring & pinion ratios, lighten vehicle--remove brush guard, nerf bars, tailgate, campershell, etc., use good gas, use recommended oil weight then switch to synthetic after 35 or 40K miles, move to higher altitude, etc,.

4WD excellent for snow, 2WD not as good. Here are some 2WD fixes:

"Z-chains" (actually cables, MUST get exact tire size) for all 4 tires (2 & 4WD's). Gives bulldozer-like traction on snow and ice--especially braking. Can be found at Pep-Boys or online.

No factory locking axle. Get cheaper plain axle (it's stronger) and have Powertraxx's "No-slip" Locker installed and forget it (no maintenance). First ice/snow/steep hill thereafter will produce grins and giggles; vastly improved cornering under throttle and off-road traction too; especially necessary with Supercharger.

Use good tires: Michelins, Goodyear or Toyo. Maintain air pressure, keep rotated = better mpg & longer life. Use correct tires: Use off-road/snow tires exactly for that; use all-weather hwy tires rest of year = better mpg (fraction of percentage), quieter ride, better breaking and both sets will last much longer.

4 vs.6 cylinders:
    The 4 is too small for the extended cab, okay for regular cab.
    The V6 is okay, wish it was mapped like Mazda's 3.0L 200 hp V6 w/ better mpg and more low end.
    The Supercharged V6: WOW! Enough said. You can peg 100 before you know it while passing so be careful--Tacoma's with large tire package become nervous around 90 mph. It's also rough on timing belts, tires, trannys and drive train so keep pretty close to maintenance schedule if you lead-foot. Finally--after supercharging many Taco owners report excessive giggling, funny grins, occasional drool and unusually-cocky attitudes...don't let all that power go to your head.

Let Toyota Dealership service your vehicle according to regularly scheduled maintenance if possible.

Whew!....enough for now.
    Well ive had my tacoma(s) at 105-106 (speed limited) and it felt just fine and i wanted to go faster but that damn limiter!....and thats in fourth gear.
  • msmcelroymsmcelroy Member Posts: 1
    Can a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner, XtraCab, V6 automatic transmission equipped with the TRD package do the same things as a 4X4?
  • oxymoronoxymoron Member Posts: 2
    Greetings, all. I have been browsing around several web sites concerning the purchase of a new vehicle, before settling on this one. I am currently "between trucks", so to say. My last one was a VERY well-used 1985 Toyota X-tra cab SR5 that expired 3 weeks ago, it died with over 201,000 miles. I am seriously looking at a 2WD PreRunner Extra Cab w/the TRD option package. Since I am an avid motorcyclist, and don't really do serious offroading here in the SF Bay Area, I need something that can haul my street bike to track days (Thunderhill raceway north of Sacramento, Willow Springs in SoCal), carry a couple of dirtbikes to Hollister, hit the mountains (Tahoe/Reno) for skiing/snowboarding, and yet still look sharp enough for dates. I like the extra power the V6 offers and am willing to make a small concession to the lower mileage figures. It may tow the occasional 2-bike trailer as well, which is probably a total weight of 1200-1500lbs.

I looked at Toyota's nearest competitor, the Nissan Frontier, and while its features were attractive, it looked like it fell out of the ugly tree & broke every branch on the way down. Someone needs to have a serious meeting with that firm's design team. Unfortunately, Toyota decided to change the grille on the newer models as well, yuck. I prefer last year's design.

I took the liberty of printing out Edmund's new car shopper's guide; although I almost have enough now to put a good down payment on the truck, I need a little more time to do my homework before I enter the battlefield of the dealerships. What kind of good experience/hassles have you had? Any local Toyota dealerships here in the Bay Area that are recommended over others? I realize the playing the numbers game is part of the deal, but I really want to avoid any unecessary run-arounds when I am ready to buy.

Thanks for your time, wish me luck!
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    I own a 2000 prerunner v6 with all the trimmings. I really haven't even broken it in yet. It's about 6 months old and only has about 3500 miles. My trips are mostly short, not over 15-20 miles and I have been getting closed to 14.5 mpg. Driving mostly on the highway, I get about 17. Will the mileage get better or is their something I can get to help this out. I have heard that mileage gets better with age but how much better?

Also, I got the truck with the diff lock but without the entire trd package. Later I realized that the truck also has the bilstein shocks form the trd package which I did not pay for as an option (I'm not sure how). Anyway I want the overfenders, too (the last part of the trd package). They are the only thing in the trd package that I don't have and I think they look great. Are they the same thing as fender flares (they don't look as big), can I get them from Toyota, and how much can I expect to pay? Diff lock works good in the slick gumbo mud of the Mississippi delta as far as I can tell.
  • bsparxbsparx Member Posts: 84
    Sorry to non-northern Cal readers, I can't remember how to hide messages, and can't find it in the help topics...

I bought a Doublecab Prerunner v6 the day after Thanksgiving. Really happy with it. I did 2 internet searches, dropped into so many dealers I lost count (Richmond, Oakland, Alameda, San Rafael, Berkeley, Walnut Ck, Dublin, Fremont, Hayward...did I leave anyone out?) and ended up buying from Bill at Berkeley Toyota. Got a great deal, exactly the truck I wanted, and he offered the best trade-in on my 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad cab of anybody. I got it for $1500 over invoice, but on the xtracab or reg cab could have done way better - the double cabs are just so new and popular. I found an $800 over invoice at Walnut Creek, but for white TRD only. And a $1200 over invoice for vehicles on their lot only from Oakand- downtown toyota. So the Berkeley deal wasn't that different and he would have given me that deal for whatever truck I want wherever he had to go to find it. Whenever dealers trade cars they loose their hold-back profit, so thats why they're reluctant to do it. I was a little specific in that I didn't want TRD, and almost all the doublecabs are made with it. I didn't want the supercharger (91 oct fuel requirement and less mpg) and didn't like the shocks. So he found me a beautiful green doublecab prerunner v6, with the TRD fender flares, the mudflaps, runningboards, chrome sr5 package, the dueler tires, the aluminum wheels. That was all I wanted to start with , and then I took it to 4 Wheel Parts for Rancho 5000's - rear shocks and front struts, fit is for 2000 4x4 - and the ride is great. I will probably eventually install a LSD, as long as I can find one with the same ratio as the factory diff. I am getting about 18.5 mpg overall, 50/50 driving. Long trips I've got over 20. Went to Pinecrest this weekend, 305 miles round trip on 15.6 gal., up 5600 ft of elevation, with the snug top shell and roof racks! Really a great truck, much better than domestics (have had 81 ranger, 87 Mazda b2000 (Ranger), 91 explorer, 92 F250, 96 f150 supercab, 00 Dodge Dak. Quad, and now this one - the best of the bunch by leaps and bounds). Have 3200 miles on it in 5 weeks, expect it to go as long as your last Toyota! Go get one at Berkeley...
    Ben
  • glenn54glenn54 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone out there with this package? I was wondering about the gas milage. I'm not too concerned about 0 to 60 in x minutes, so long as the ride is smooth and quiet.
    The 4x4 ext. cab weighs 3470 lbs with the manual transmission and 3500 lbs with the automatic. This is a lot of weight for the 150 HP 2.7L to propell. The difference in gas mileage according to the EPA estimates is 2 MPG for both highway and city driving. In my humble opinion, having owned both the 4 cyl (2.4L) and now the V-6, it is well worth it to spend the extra money and get the V-6. You may or may not achieve the same gas mileage that you would with the 2.7L. If you don't, considering the weight of the 4x4's, it will be close. But the performance gap between the two engines is not close. Plus, you can always supercharge the V-6. I know you don't care about 0-60, but you might change your mind down the road. And the V-6 is super quiet at any speed and smooth as ice.
  • tientrantientran Member Posts: 7
    Hello ! Everyone.
    I bought a taco ma prerunner 2.7l 4 cyls, automatic shift.
    When I drive, the shift stick shakes although It doesn't shift between gear. Especially, when I drive fast on a wavy road.
    I asked a guy who has a Taco ma about it, he said that is normal. But, I am still worried.
    Anyone who know about it, please tell me your experience. I appriciatte.
    They all shake like that, mine included. Don't worry about. It's perfectly normal. I've seen it on other vehicles, too.
  • bsparxbsparx Member Posts: 84
    The drivetrain is mounted on rubber motor mounts all along the frame to take the shake and torque out of being transfered to the cab and to our butts. This is a good thing. You see the stick shake because its directly mounted on the trans., unlike domestics where the shifter is remote-mounted on the steering column and shifting is done electronically. All manual trans. sticks do this, they are mounted directly like the toyota auto shift stick.

Ben
    I read your replies.
    Thank you very much Webbd and Ben.
    Tien
  • preprerunnerpreprerunner Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a Prerunner ex-cab, 4 cyl, step side. Commuter Vehicle Worked out a deal to pay $500 more than invoice on it, plus tax and destination. Ordered it in December (thought to be a good time to buy) It is scheduled to arrive in March or before. I put $2000 down on it and am wondering if I just kissed away any leverage I had in negotiating any farther when it comes in. The deal I received was a corporate deal the dealership and my employer had worked out. I would just like to know if four months is fairly standard to wait and what other tack ons should I watch out for?
    Hello!
    I bought a Tacoma Preruner 2001 with Regular cab a month ago. I would like to install Tube Steps for easy entry. Any one can suggest where to buy them?
    Thank you in advance.
This discussion has been closed.