Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• jw20000jw20000 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2010 Camry SE yesterday. On the 53 mile highway drive home, I almost got 40 MPG. I watched the RPM of the engine at cruise speeds and it turns the engine very slowly. IT is surprising to me how many drivers on the this blog get such low numbers for their car. I grew up in a family that taught economical driving. We thought Volkswagens were wasteful at 28 mpg.

1. Don't move the accelerator pedal. Just apply some pressure and let the car build up speed normally. Everytime you "Move" the pedal, you open the fuel floodgate.
    2. Don't power up to lights and stop signs. Let off long before and coast up to the stop. Adjust your speed to time the lights and avoid stops
    3. Don't power up hills pouring on the gas to maintain precise speed.
    4. Don't pass cars.
    5. Don't run the RPM up the dial. It is a fuel meter.
    6. Don't engage in brake slamming, anticipate traffic and steer around it. Braking is just fuel consumption in reverse.

City driving will never be a measure of fuel economy because you are stopping all the time using up your energy. The only vehicle that makes sense in a city is a golf cart or bicycle.
  • dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    jw -
    I am one of the 27 MPG people.
    # 1 - sounds a little odd but I will see what happens if I barely touch the accelerator.
    I certainly don't hit it hard.
    # 2 - I do this.
    # 3 - I could do better on this but I generally try not to. When you' end up going 45 mph in a 65 mph highway while going up a hill, things can get a bit clogged and interfere with the flow of traffic. Where I live, there is not much road rage but it does get somewhat crowded at rush hour.
    # 4 - At all? Even on the highway when you can go 65 and still pass them?
    # 5 - I do this.
    # 6 - I do this.
    What speed do you go? In 65 mph zone? 60 zone? 55 zone?
    Have you seen what mpg you'll get with mixed city/highway driving?
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Hey jw2000,

How do you know that you got 40 MPG? Did you do ALL 100% highway driving in your brand new Camry SE? Also, how many miles did you drive before filing up the tank in your car? The only Camry that can realistically get 40MPG is the HYBRID. I don't see how your SE got 40 MPG unless you own the Hybrid model.

I just filled up my 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder earlier today and I got a VERY LOW 22.4 MPG fuel economy on mine. I went a total of 400.1 miles on 17.1 gallons of fuel. I would say that I did 50/50 city and highway driving this time around. I live in the northeast in New England and it has been very cold up here during the last week. During the last fill-up that I did on January 3rd, 2010, I got much better fuel economy and got 26 MPG. The weather here during the last fill-up was just as cold as it has been during the last week, but I got better mileage. I do NOT know why the fuel economy on my Camry has dropped down so much from 26 MPG to only 22.4 MPG? I am doing all the right things driving-wise. I do not let the car idle and I drive very carefully and very gently every time that I use the car. I also drive under 55 to 60 MPH on the highway.

My Camry has only 1,554 original miles on it and it's already passed thru its 1,000 mile break-in period. It should be getting an overall average fuel economy of 28 to 30 MPG right now, but it doesn't. What really bothers me is that when I used to own my 1997 Camry, it was getting an overall average of 30 to 31 MPG fuel economy with the same exact very cold weather from the very beginning since the very first day that I bought it brand new. My 2010 Camry should be getting the same 30 to 31 MPG as my 97 Camry did, but it isn't. The newer 2010 Camry has a much better and refined engine and transmission and it also has a much better EPA fuel economy rating than the 97 Camry had. But with all of these better engineering refinements, the 2010 Camry is NOT getting the fuel economy that my 97 Camry got. I don't know why?

I am currently leasing my Camry for 3 years until December 2012. The next time that I lease another Toyota, I think that I will lease the Hybrid model. I really need to get the 30 to 32+ MPG overall fuel economy. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED in the fuel economy of the current non-hybrid 4 cylinder Camry. The non-hybrid 2010 Camry should be getting an overall fuel economy of 30 MPG just like my 1997 Camry did. It's a big shame that it doesn't. Toyota overstates its MPG fuel economy ratings on the MSRP sticker on the 2010 Camry LE. It shouldn't say that it gets 22 MPG city and 32 MPG highway when it "realistically" gets ONLY 22.4 to 26 MPG city and highway fuel economy. Toyota is definitely "misleading" everybody with the city and highway MPG fuel economy ratings on the 2010 Camry LE.

I believe that all of the newer 2010 Camry 4 cylinder vehicles are NOT as economical as the older 1997-1999 Camrys. Maybe the very low MPG fuel economy on the newer 2010 Camry is due to all the emissions equipment that Toyota puts into their newer vehicles or because of the Ethanol that's in the gasoline. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that there were as many emissions equipment in the 1997 Camry as there is in the 2010 Camry. Also, I don't think that we had ethanol in the gasoline back in 1997 to 2000.

What do you think?
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    I would agree that Camry's before 2000 got better mileage. We have a 2000 4 cyl and don not get the mileage that others have reported.
    "I would agree that Camry's before 2000 got better mileage. We have a 2000 4 cyl and do not get the mileage that others have reported."

I would like to know WHY the older pre 2000 (1997-1999) Camry 4 cylinder vehicles all got much better MPG fuel economy when compared to the more refined and better engineered 2010 Camry 4 cylinder engines?
    The newer 2010 Toyota 4 cylinder 2.5L engine must be "tuned" to burn MORE fuel than the older 2.2L, 4 cylinder engine that was manufactured between 1997-1999. It's very obvious that the newer and refined 2.5L, 4 cylinder does NOT come anywhere close to getting the better MPG fuel economy that the older Toyota 2.2L, 4 cylinder engine got.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    sorry to hear about your low mpg but I don't know if your experience is typical. I just bought a new 4 cyl, auto trans. le....on the 600mi. drive home, 98% hwy, cold temps below 32, some hills, and varying speeds below 65 for proper break in, I got 31.8 mpg...
    You did 98% highway driving with yours and got 31.8 MPG fuel economy. I do about 50% City and 50% Highway driving with my Camry LE 4 cylinder automatic. I am wondering what the MPG fuel economy would be if I also did the exact same 98% highway driving in my Camry just like you did?
    I would really like to see the MPG fuel economy in my 2010 Camry LE go up to and "stay" at 30 to 31 MPG all the time.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Cold weather kills mpg.
    "Cold weather kills mpg."

I know. It's been very cold up here in New England the last few weeks.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I think we keep telling you it's not going to stay at 30+ mpg unless you stay on the highway, all the time. That's been my experience in 13 years of Camry ownership, all 4-cylinder automatics (3 cars, 2 owned currently).

The EPA estimates say the same thing: 22 city, 32 highway.
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Just did a 550 mile 90% highway stint in a 2010 Camry Hybrid. A Hertz rental with 18k on it. Temps between 17 and 40 degrees headed down from Atlanta to Baton Rouge. Reset the MPG meter when I left the Hertz lot and it now shows 32.8 mpg and average speed of 74 mph. No A/C use, only one person, very light traffic. Can't say I'm impressed as my last Hertz renatl, a 2010 Fusion 4cyl Automatic averaged 29 mog on a similar, though not identical trip. Also, the spongy throttle response of the Hybrid/CVT powertrain ruin the otherwise smooth and polished Camry drivetrain. I know Hybrid's don't shine on highway trips, but I expected better mileage.
    " think we keep telling you it's not going to stay at 30+ mpg unless you stay on the highway, all the time. That's been my experience in 13 years of Camry ownership, all 4-cylinder automatics (3 cars, 2 owned currently).

The EPA estimates say the same thing: 22 city, 32 highway."

I know what you are saying, BUT the EPA estimates said 20 city and 29 highway for my 1997 Camry CE and it got OVER 30-32 MPG overall fuel economy very easily without any problem. What I am trying to tell you is that the EPA estimates for my 1997 Camry CE were MUCH LESS than the EPA estimates for the 2010 Camry LE and that the 97 Camry got MUCH BETTER MPG fuel economy than what my 2010 Camry is getting.
    My argument and gripe here is that with all the bull$hit advanced engineering that Toyota put into its current 2.5L i-Tech engine, the current 2010 model Camry LE should be able to get at least 30 MPG overall fuel economy. What good is a more advanced engine and transmission if it's NOT getting the 30-32 MPG fuel economy? Especially on a 4 cylinder Camry.

It's all bull$hit if Toyota has the know-how to build a more advanced and a much better 2.5L engine and transmission and if it cannot get better MPG fuel economy out of this same engine. Toyota has "failed" in my opinion with its efforts to have its newer non-hybrid gasoline engines attain better and higher fuel economy. If so much technological advancement has been put into these current 2.5L engines and transmissions, they should be getting at least an average of 30 MPG fuel economy. This isn't happening and Toyota's EPA estimates for its current 2010 Camry LE are nothing but bull$hit estimates. Toyota should instead state on their EPA estimates that the current 2010 Camry LE is only good for 20 MPG city/24 MPG highway and they should void the 22 city/32 highway MPG estimates.
    Only then will they have more accurate EPA figures for the 2010 Camry LE.
    "Just did a 550 mile 90% highway stint in a 2010 Camry Hybrid. A Hertz rental with 18k on it. Temps between 17 and 40 degrees headed down from Atlanta to Baton Rouge. Reset the MPG meter when I left the Hertz lot and it now shows 32.8 mpg and average speed of 74 mph. No A/C use, only one person, very light traffic. Can't say I'm impressed as my last Hertz renatl, a 2010 Fusion 4cyl Automatic averaged 29 mog on a similar, though not identical trip. Also, the spongy throttle response of the Hybrid/CVT powertrain ruin the otherwise smooth and polished Camry drivetrain. I know Hybrid's don't shine on highway trips, but I expected better mileage."

I bet that you would get in the high 30's to low 40's in MPG fuel economy if you were driving between 55 to 60 MPH in that Camry Hybrid Hertz rental. If you were doing 74 MPH and only got 32.8 to 33 MPG in it that's not bad at all. You would be getting much higher MPG fuel economy if you drove the same vehicle at a much lower highway speed.
    I wish that I could get 30 to 31 MPG in my 2010 Camry LE while driving 74 MPH in it. I would be very happy.
    I wouldn't complain if I were you. That's excellent fuel economy that you got in your 2010 Camry Hybrid rental driving at 74 MPH. Imagine what you could have gotten for fuel economy if you drove that same exact vehicle at 55-60 MPH. :)
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    I took a look at this forum just out of curiosity. Until recently I was driving an 08 Saturn XE with the 3.5 229HP V6 for business. On interstate runs at 70 - 75 MPH, the car always averaged 30+ MPG. I swapped it for a 2010 Honda with a 4 cylinder - 5AT, and, the best she's done so far is 25 MPG under the same conditions. What really aggravates me is the fact that my other car, an 06 Jaguar S-Type with the 300 HP V8 and 6 speed tranny, also delivers right at 30 MPG on long interstate runs. On a long run across Ohio with the lower speed limits, running 65, I got 34.5 MPG average out of her. To me the Honda's highway EPA rating is a sick joke.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    "I took a look at this forum just out of curiosity. Until recently I was driving an 08 Saturn XE with the 3.5 229HP V6 for business. On interstate runs at 70 - 75 MPH, the car always averaged 30+ MPG. I swapped it for a 2010 Honda with a 4 cylinder - 5AT, and, the best she's done so far is 25 MPG under the same conditions. What really aggravates me is the fact that my other car, an 06 Jaguar S-Type with the 300 HP V8 and 6 speed tranny, also delivers right at 30 MPG on long interstate runs. On a long run across Ohio with the lower speed limits, running 65, I got 34.5 MPG average out of her. To me the Honda's highway EPA rating is a sick joke."

Touche! I couldn't have said it better myself.
    I feel the same exact way about the 2010 Camry LE. The Camry's EPA rating is also a sick joke too. Let's all get real here. The newer 2.5L "advanced engineered" (yeah right) 4 cylinder engine should be getting an overall average of 30 MPG fuel economy. It isn't though.

Toyota's EPA 22 MPG city/32 MPG highway rating for the new 2010 Camry LE is nothing but a bull$hit rating. The EPA rating numbers that Toyota states do NOT jive with the "real" MPG fuel economy numbers that the Camry actually gets.

I can't wait until my 3 year lease is up. The next time around I am going to lease either a Hybrid Camry or a VW CC. At least with the Hybrid Camry I know that I will for sure be getting "at least" 33 to 34 MPG overall fuel economy.
    And if I select the VW CC, I will at least know that I have a much better looking and better built car than the American built Camry. The VW CC is built 100% in Eben, Germany and it has a much higher build quality than the Camry and the MPG fuel economy is about the same as the current 2010 Camry that I am driving right now (around 22 to 25 MPG).
    I am so sick and tired of driving around in a vehicle which should be getting better MPG fuel economy that isn't. :mad:
    Toyota should put more attention and care in making the Camry more fuel efficient so it can get much higher MPG fuel economy. The current MPG fuel economy that the 2010 Camry gets is HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The EPA rating numbers that Toyota states do NOT jive with the "real" MPG fuel economy numbers that the Camry actually gets.

The current MPG fuel economy that the 2010 Camry gets is HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE.

I completely disagree. Maybe for YOU. Sorry to hear that, but my mpg has been great. Of course, I did not worry about it until I had 3,000 miles on it. I got 31.5 on my work commutes - this was in the summer using the A/C, and not all highway. I'll let you know what I am getting now in the winter - I bet below 30, because of the cold. I am perfectly happy with mine.
    I didn't read through your entire posts, but man, give the new car a chance. It's hardly broken in yet, and the weather's been too cold. Take it on a long trip in March or April and let us know how you do.

Regarding the EPA figures, they are estimates. But if you drove exactly as is done in the EPA tests, in the same ambient temperatures, your mileage should be very close.

The older Camry was a stick, and if you know what you're doing, you can definitely get better mileage with a manual.

If you really wanted 30 mpg overall, maybe you should have considered buying a smaller car, such as a Corolla or Fit, both of which are readily available with a stick. Or maybe the gas guzzling Dodge you have is the real problem!
    If I judged the mpg of my car on a few tanks in the winter I would be horrible dissapointed in about 28 mpg over 4 tanks this month with plenty of highway driving.

In reality I have averaged 34.5 mpg over 77,000 miles and have had a 10 tank rolling average as high as 39.8 and a 50 tank rolling average as high as 36.2 mpg. Yes I put every tank into xcel.

Give your cars time to break in. Make sure you have enough air pressure (mine dropped 8 psi recently because of the cold spell - pressure drops with temp), use 0w-20 synthetic oil (new standard for Toyota and very efficient), keep speeds down, don't warm the car up in the morning, and most importantly wait for warmer weather.

BTW as I mentioned earlier I have an Accord with the stick so my numbers will probably be hard to match (because of the stick not because it is an Accord). The same principals apply and there will be the same difference in winter mpg.
    Dudley -
    What psi do you do?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I think that to get a good gauge for your highway segment you should take a trip from Boston (?) down I84 to NYC and back. Except for Hartford you should be able to maintain a good solid highway speed and get a solid measurement.

Cold weather, poor traction, stopping for any reason and short trips will kill your fuel economy.

I had perfect conditions back in the Fall when I used the 2.5L XLE for several weeks. I was able to get 36-39 mpg for the entire time while my Prius was in the shop.
    85% leisurely highway driving at 60-63 mph and nearly no stops;
    90 min trips, none longer, none shorter;
    No pressure on the pedal;
    Warm to cool weather;
    Dead flat terrain
    No bad weather to reduce traction.

The loaner had 2500 miles on it when I first got it. I was highly impressed.
    "I think that to get a good gauge for your highway segment you should take a trip from Boston (?) down I84 to NYC and back. Except for Hartford you should be able to maintain a good solid highway speed and get a solid measurement."

As a matter of fact, I actually "did" drive from Massachusetts all the way down to I84 to Hartford, Connecticut early this afternoon. I just returned back home to Massachusetts just a few minutes ago.

I drove 100% highway round trip going down there and coming back home. The speed that I was doing driving all the way down to CT was constant between 50 MPH and 58 MPH. Then when I was driving back home to Massachusetts from CT., I was doing a constant speed of 50 to 55 MPH during the first 1/2 of the way home and then a constant speed between 55 and 63 MPH during the second 1/2 of the way back home. The total distance from my house in Massachusetts all the way to Hartford and back was exactly 159 miles.

Just so you know, I filled the tank up in my Camry yesterday afternoon. The trip odometer in my Camry LE was also reset to zero (0) after I filled the tank yesterday, so it only had 22 miles on it earlier this afternoon before I left Massachusetts for the trip down to Connecticut.

After doing the round trip from Mass. to CT. and back home to Mass., I now have a total of 181 miles on the trip odometer in my Camry.
    With all this driving, the needle on the gas gauge is currently positioned exactly on the "first smaller line marker" that's located just below the 3/4 tank thick white line marker.

So far, I used up a little more than 1/4 of a tank of gasoline to drive a TOTAL OF 181 MILES of which 159 miles were 100% ALL highway miles and the other 22 miles were 100% all city miles driving around town.
    (159 miles all highway driving + 22 miles all city driving = 181 Total miles driven)

I "estimate" that I already used up between 5 to 6 gallons of gasoline driving a total of 181 miles since my full tank gas fill-up yesterday because the gasoline gauge needle is located currently just below the 3/4 tank line marker right now.

If I do the MPG calculation using 5 gallons, I get 36 MPG fuel economy.
    (181 total miles driven/ 5 gallons used = 36 MPG)

If I do the MPG calculation using 6 gallons, I get 30 MPG fuel economy.
    (181 total miles driven/ 6 gallons used = 30 MPG)

I am not sure if my calculations are 100% correct, but I think that I got either 36 MPG or 30 MPG fuel economy driving a total of 181 miles since the last time that I filled up the tank yesterday.

What do you "THINK" that my current "TRUE" MPG fuel economy is right now after driving a total of 181 miles and using up a little bit more than 1/4 of a tank of gasoline?

From all of the information that I've given above on where the current location of the gas gauge needle is located one line just below the thick while 3/4 tank line marker, do you think that I burned 5 gallons of gasoline or 6 gallons of gasoline driving the 181 miles?

What do you think? I would love to hear from you what your views are on what you really think that the "true actual" MPG fuel economy is right now from the current 181 mile trip that I took in my Camry LE with all the driving conditions and driving habits that I listed and stated above and from where the current location of the gasoline gauge needle is currently located?

THANKS
    I forgot to mention here that if I didn't use up exactly 5 gallons or exactly 6 gallons of gasoline driving the total distance of 181 miles that there may be a very good chance that I might have instead used up around 5.5 gallons to 5.75 gallons of gasoline for the entire 181 miles that I've driven so far.
    Therefore, if I use the 5.5 gallon and the 5.75 gallon consumption figures with the total 181 miles already driven I get 32.9 MPG fuel economy and 31.47 MPG fuel economy.

(181 total miles driven/ 5.5 gallons gasoline used = 32.9 MPG fuel economy)

(181 total miles driven/ 5.75 gallons gasoline used = 31.47 MPG fuel economy)

What do you think is the "more realistic" MPG fuel economy figure here given with where the current location of the needle on the gasoline gauge is currently located right now?
    In perfect weather and perfect conditions last November here I was able to get 36-39 mpg on a trip like you took.

In very cold weather and slipperier conditions I'd estimate a 15-20% decrease in fuel economy; i.e. into the low 30 mpg range.
    The weather was sunny and clear during the drive all the way down to Connecticut. I also remember looking at the temperature on the trip odometer while I was driving down to Connecticut and the temperature reading on the display on the dashboard was at around 30 to 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Driving back home to Massachusetts from Connecticut it was evening and dark out and it was colder than it was during the daytime hours probably around 22 degrees to 27 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, the weather during the evening on the way back home was clear/cloudy but cold.
    Cut the mumbo-jumbo and fill it up right now and find out! Estimating based on gas gauge needle position is a waste of time.

My '04 Camry consistently takes 60 highway miles just to go from "above full" to the "full" line on the gauge. And I usually stop filling at the 2nd or 3rd click, just to get the $ amount to the nearest 5- or 10-cent interval.

One caution though: putting in only a small amount of gas leads to greater errors in mpg calculations. But unless you have another long trip planned soon, this will finally give you an idea of the potential highway mpg.
    Couple of things.

If you are that interested in mpg then a scangauge is a must. Just buy one and install it. It will tell you all you need to know about mpg. www.scanguage.com

There are at least 3 gallons left in the tank when it reads empty. I doubt you have even used 5 gallons at just below 3/4 tank. No way you have used 6. (scanguage will tell you)

A rough way to figure the highway mpg on a tank that has x miles of city is to multiply the city portion by a factor that will raise to the highway mpg. In other words the 22 miles were 100% city and city is about half of highway mpg (give or take depending on the city). So assume that you would have gone closer to 40 miles if that city was highway. That gives about 199 miles if your driving had been all highway. That is excellent for just over a quarter tank (most likely less than 5 gallons). You are right about 40 mpg and on target.

Until you actually take a full tank highway trip or get a scanguage it is all speculation though.

And I keep my tires at 38-40 psi. I checked them two days ago when it was about 20 degrees out and it was down to 30.5 I raised all 4 to 38. Of course when it is below zero they will be low again, but will be around 40 psi at 30 degrees or so.
    "If you are that interested in mpg then a scangauge is a must. Just buy one and install it. It will tell you all you need to know about mpg. www.scanguage.com."

I just looked on the scangauge website and they have the "SCANGAUGE II"
    Is the Scangauge II the device that I should purchase or is there another type of Scangauge that you are referring to in your post? I want to make sure that I purchase the right Scangauge device.

Also, how is the Scangauge device attached and connected to the vehicle? Do I need a mechanic to attach and connect the device? Will the Toyota dealer attach and connect the Scangauge device for me? I would like to know.

THANKS
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You plug it into the OBD plug under the drivers side dash., takes a second and easy to do It talks to the car computer.
    The scanguage II is the right one. It is the latest model.

As Kiawah said it is very easy to install. Just plug it in. There is a small amount of setup, but anybody on this board should have no problem.
    I try to carpool to work as much as possible. This really stretches out a tank of gas! :)
    I was getting 31.5 mpg on my commute to work with my '10 Camry Base 6 speed manual. Thanks to the cold and snow, I only got 27.7 mpg average of my last two fill-ups.
    Very interested in what a '10 with a stick shift can do on the highway. Any long trips yet at moderate speed?
    "I was getting 31.5 mpg on my commute to work with my '10 Camry Base 6 speed manual. Thanks to the cold and snow, I only got 27.7 mpg average of my last two fill-ups."

That really $ucks. I would think that you should be able to get "at least" 30 MPG in your 2010 base Camry 6 speed manual even in the coldest and snowy days. I used to EASILY get 30 - 31 MPG on my 1997 Camry CE 5 speed manual EVERY WEEK during the coldest and snowy days ALL WINTER LONG. In the summertime I got 31 - 33 MPG.
    No, that's typical for me during this time of the year, for all the cars I have ever had. I always lose at least 2 mpg, and more, because of the slower driving in the snow. I have some tanks that I am down about 5 mpg from my average. This has always been the case with all my cars. They cannot defy the laws of physics - their is nothing wrong with the cars, only the weather is at fault for the lower mpg (or me, for living in the North!)
    No, not long enough to tell. The longest highway trip has been an hour, but then on the same tank was my work commutes, and commutes to the store, YMCA, etc, so I don't know pure highway yet.

I am very happy with the 31.5 mpg on my normal commutes though. I only have 5,000 miles on it.
    Hey mcdawgg,
    What type of vehicle is your "tank" that you are referring to here which gets only 5 MPG? What year and make and how many miles is your other vehicle which you call a "tank"?
    He's referring to his tracking of each tankful's miles and gallonage. Example, last tank was 30 mpg, the tank before that was 25 mpg.
    I have some tanks that I am down about 5 mpg from my average. This has always been the case with all my cars.

I think the sentence above is what is confusing you. Kiawah is correct, I mean tanks of fuel, because I calculate my mpg after each refueling. I am saying that I have some readings that are 5 mpg less than my typical averages, and it is because of the cold and snow, and/or more short trips. And I am saying that this has happened with all of my cars for as long as I have owned cars. They all have significantly less mpg at times, specifically during the winter. 31.5 down to 27.7 is just because of the cold and snow and maybe a few more shorter trips. There may have been a few even worse readings, but I don't calculate mpg at every refueling, because there are some that just know will be very low due to cold, short trips, only topping up the fuel tank, whatever. I am not very anal about it, because I know it can vary a lot. I specifically focus on mpg when the trips are typical (my commutes) in good weather, not many short trips, etc. If I have a lot of idling (in a traffic jam, etc.) I just wait until the next tank of gas.

I am VERY pleased with the mpg on my 2010 Camry. It is getting just what I would expect it to on my commutes. I will let you know when I do a long trip.
  • corolla_e11corolla_e11 Member Posts: 18
    Cheers,

I had a short nice time today driving my 2010 Camry XLE.

Just fill the tank today and after 1 mile city drive took the ramp to the high way. I couldn't believe my eyes as the bord computer was displayign 46.4 MPG with a speed of 58-60 Miles/h (really not speeding but slow enought than other cars). I drove more than 12 miles with 46.0 - 46.4 MPG at 55-60 miles/hours. Later on I was able to have the board computer display 50.2 MPG. At this time I feelt like I don't want to live the toll road any more. Unfortunately I had to take the next exit where I live and when parking the car in the garage still with 46.0 MPG.

Forgot to mention that today we had like 68 ° in texas so no cold weahter.

Tomorrow I'll try it again. But If I'm unlucky and have trafic at the light and the time I'll hit the toll road again I'll be probably by 36.0 MPG.

Here the story: I've noticed that right after a full gas filling the milenage is pretty high specially if you drive like 1-2 miles city and then get on the highway where you can maintain a speed average of 55-60 miles/hous you'll have great gasmilenage. But once you stop inintersection (red lights) then this will drop and you'll be by 29-30 MPG.

BTW: The odo reads actually 2290 Miles and I've read that at the beginn before the engine really break in the the real MPG will vary.

Since I have the car the worst I got was 27.8 MPG in the city.

Any one else could make the board computer display those numbers?

FYI: Only possible after a gas filling. Right after that drive in the city. You'll (hopefully) be arround 27 - 28 MPG. Now Once you let the car roll (no speed up, no break, just let the car roll) when approching a light or intersection It'll jump from 27/28 to 33/35 MPG and with that number being displayed on the board computer if you take the highway It'll stay like that.

Just don't know If it has somethink todo with opening and closing the gas cap even without filling up gas. I've noticed that always after a gas filling the board computer is re-computing the gas milenage and that how I can "trix" him. I'll try It the next time open and close without filling in gas.

Please give It a try and post your experience here in the forum.
    Exactly my experiences here in the flatlands of the NC coastline in the same temps and mild weather last Oct / Nov. After filling up though I had a 75 mi highway drive at a very moderate speed of 8 mph above the limit, 63 vs 55. You're exactly right. As soon as you bring the vehicle to a stop or slow way down - then have to add gas - for any reason your fuel economy suffers big time.

Moral: Never stop, or try to stop as few times as legally and safely possible.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I am getting 28.4 mpg on my 2006 Camry le V6 ( 90 % highway ).. I always warm up my car for 4-5 minutes .. I also use Chevron 87 octane..
    just drive conservatively for the first 5 minutes, instead of sitting there idling.
    I just filled up the tank in my 2010 Camry LE tonight. I drove exactly 503.2 miles and I put in exactly 19.05 gallons of fuel inside the tank.
    The gas pump stopped and "clicked" the first time around exactly at 17.775 gallons. I ended up adding more fuel into the tank until the gas pump clicked at the "6th click" at exactly 19.05 gallons.

If I calculate the MPG fuel economy with the 17.775 gallons at the "first click" of the gas pump, I get 28.309 MPG fuel economy (503.2 miles/ 17.775 gallons = 28.309 MPG)

But if I calculate the MPG fuel economy with the 19.05 gallons at the "6th click" of the gas pump, I get ONLY get 26.414 MPG fuel economy (503.2 miles/ 19.05 gallons = 26.414 MPG)

Which is the "TRUE MPG"? The 28.309 MPG or the 26.414 MPG? Or would you average out the 2 figures at 27.36 MPG (28.309 MPG + 26.309 MPG/ 2 = 27.36 MPG)? What do you think that the "TRUE MPG" fuel economy for my vehicle is right now?

ALSO, I am confused about something else here. If the gas tank in my vehicle holds ONLY 18.5 gallons of gas and if I was able to put 19.05 gallons into the tank during the fill-up tonight, then does that mean that there was still 1.275 gallons of gas in the tank and in the fuel line that goes from the tank all the way to the engine (19.05 gal - 17.775 gal = 1.275 gal)?
    WHY was I able to put in an extra 1.275 gallons of gasoline in the tank? The engine on my vehicle was still able to run when I pulled into the gas station before I filled the tank up with gas. In other words, I didn't run out of gas. My engine was still running after I pulled into the gas station.
    Does this mean that the 1.275 gallon "difference" that I calculated was gasoline which was "still" in the tank and in the fuel lines? Is this correct? I would like to know.
    THANKS
    I forgot to mention in my previous post that my 2010 Camry LE already has 2,057 original miles on it right now exactly at the time of the gas fill-up. Do you think that the engine is broken-in already or do you think that I need to go another 3,000 miles until the car reaches 5,000 miles in order for the engine to be "fully" broken-in? What is the "correct" break-in period for the 2.5L automatic 4 cylinder engine?
    Does anybody in here know?
    THANKS
    To avoid the 'error factor' associated with a single tank filling, you should keep track over multiple tankfuls. Let's say you have a one gallon error factor, depending upon whether you stop at one click or 6 clicks. That is one gallon, on a basis of 18 gallons.

If on the other hand you tracked for each of 5 consecutive gas tanks, then you would have a one gallon error, on a basis of about 90 gallons or so of gas. It start to becomes immaterial.

Don't overfill your gas tank, just fill it to the first or second click off. In some vehicles gasoline can get into the fuel evaporation system and you can ruin a charcoal canister.
    I agree fully with kiawah. Just try to fill the tank the same way each time, and don't "stuff" as much gas as you can into the tank. Over multiple fills, any discrepancies among different filling techniques and gas pumps will average out. Ford says to minimize errors by using the same pump at the same station with your car facing the same direction each time (obviously not feasible on a long trip).

You don't have to run the tank nearly dry; it's not a good idea (both for you AND the car).

The engine is definitely not fully broken in at your mileage; I'd say 5000 miles is a reasonable mileage for full break-in, but not a hard and fast number.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    You need to stop filling at the first click, otherwise you will damage your emission system.
    Yes this is critical. When it clicks don't add anything more.

And stop worrying about one tank or another. The only think that matters is how many gallons you pumped to get to 5000 miles. ( 5000 / x gal )

The next measurement is 'how many gallons did you have to pump to get to 10,000 miles?'
  • dremdrem Member Posts: 24
    gtgtcobra,

You are not anywhere close to your best mileage due to a very young engine. You won't see your best mileage until 40,000 miles plus. The 'break in' you speak of is just to rub off the high points on the moving metal parts. However, the parts are designed with very close tolerances and with today's good oils they won't loosen up for a long time. You should be getting the same 'best' mileage well past 100,000 miles.
    Also, I think you are driving yourself nuts about 'clicks' and 'lines on the gas gauge'. Just use full tanks and fill to the first click. It all averages out with time.

The new engine should be better at efficiency because of the higher torque, but don't baby it. It has six speeds to shift efficiently as you accelerate. If you accelerate too slowly it just stays in lower gears longer than necessary.

You will find your fuel economy better if you use cruise control. Your gas mileage can be 10% lower if you don't use it.

It IS possible it has a problem, but at this point no-one can tell because its too new. Wait till spring and we can advise you more.

BTW, both my 1999 and 2004 4 cyl autos get very good mileage on the road...35-37mpg at 72 cruise for the 1999 and 36-38 for the 2004. I can't even quantify any drop in the winter as long as there is no snow on the road. I have a neighbor who is anal about gas mileage and just bought a 2010 4cyl auto. I'll let you know what he is getting.

Drem
    Drem,
    I've got almost 2,700 original miles on my 2010 Camry LE right now. I just did a fill-up on January 30th and the MPG fuel economy DROPPED on my Camry to 23.9 MPG. During the fill-up before this one, I got 26 MPG. We've been having very cold weather up here, so maybe that's why the mileage dropped so much this time around. Also, I didn't do that much highway driving on this particular tank of gas.
    I am hoping that the MPG fuel economy will get better when spring and summer come around. I am not very happy at the MPG fuel economy figures. I don't drive beyond 55 - 60 MPH on the highway. I should be getting better fuel economy in my Camry. I am starting to get the feeling that some Camrys get high MPG fuel economy while others do not. Maybe mine is one of the ones that gets the lower MPG fuel economy? I am used to getting 30 - 32 MPG from the 1997 Camry CE which I used to own. The lower fuel economy in my current Camry is telling me that my vehicle either hasn't broken in yet or that the very cold weather up here is limiting the vehicle's ability to be more economical.