Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• cupid1cupid1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Friends I bought 2009 Toyota camry XLE 3.5L ,V6 and it has 15000 miles on it few months ago.I recently started checking my car fuel consumption. It has given 15 miles per gallon in the city( its a mixed I drove more on the highways also). I showed it to the showroom, they checked and said nothing is wrong. I filled the tank and today i checked it again ,it dropped to 14 miles per gallon ( this time I drove 40% of my trip on highways) I don't know what to do. Please help me.
  • plutocupidplutocupid Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys its me again, today I went to the Toyota dealer.he is saying it is normal to give 10-12 miles in the city.how far is it true.i think the Toyota dealer is bullshitting me .please help me
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    I don't think it is normal to get only 10-12 mpg on a Camry, even a 6 cyl. But we have a 4 cyl Camry (2000) that in winter only gets about 15-17 in the city...and never does better than 19 mpg in city driving, no matter what season. It's Estimated mpg for city is 23, so it is a long way from that. I think Camry must do something for their testing to boost the Estimated MPG. But others claim they do get 23 in the city and over 30 on the highway.
    Are you sure you are figuring the mileage correctly? Fill up/write down mileage/drive till at least 3/4 empty and fill again. Then divide miles driven by the gallons to refill. Better yet, do this over several fill ups to compensate for overfilling or underfilling, which can happen. I would ask the dealer why they rate the car at 22-23 mpg in the city if it is normal to get only 10-12. That sounds crazy!
  • troylikesbikestroylikesbikes Member Posts: 132
    10-12 mpg in the city in a Camry is way extreme, to the point of unlikely, something wrong. My 94 V6 ran about 18mpg in town, my 05 4 cyl AT got 22-24 mpg, my 07 4 cyl stick got 25-26 mpg, and my 09 hybrid returns a solid 32-35mpg.

I got 13 mpg from a V8 powered Nissan Titan, can't imagine a Camry doing worse than that unless fuel is being stolen out of the tank or running out of a fuel line somewhere.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    I marvel at some of the theories on how to fill your tank to check accurate mileage....lol.. .. FILL it UP.. till you can see the gas up to the top of the neck everytime... then calculate your mileage and it will be correct... I also have a 2000 Jetta tdi..after it clicks off and i can fill another 2.1 to 2.2 gas...How do you expect to get an accurate reading like that?..... I have a 2001 chevy astro (drives me crazy) that once it clicks off, i can squeeze 4.5 to 5.1 more gals.. How do you expect to get an accurate reading... YOU CANT.... Unless you top it off everytime..

Good to see you troylikesbikes.. long time no see dude... Caazguy
  • patriotpaulpatriotpaul Member Posts: 6
    Actually, although your "fill it to the top" method is indeed most accurate, it's not absolutely necessary.

If you regularly use the same pump, and we assume it always automatically clicks off at the same point every time, it's only necessary to be consistent over a period of time to gete an accurate calculation of fuel mileage.

BTW, I'm still getting in the mid thirties around town and low fourtys on the interstate on my 2011 Camry 4.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    346 miles of mixed driving around Venice, Fla required 15.34 gals=22.55 mpgs...It's a 2002 4 cyl, XLE with 82674..Perfect mechanical condition, lady driven, maybe sunroof was open and a/c could have been on..Car has been in Fla for 4 yrs, and always garaged, oil changed every 3k miles..Weather has been colder during the last days, so that probably cut a couple mpgs..

Filled up my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT w/260hp, supercharged V-6 that went 330 mi requiring 14.583 gals=22.62mpgs..Driving on this tank was 191 miles on I-75 at speeds 75-90+ and the balance of 139 miles around Venice..Indicated average MPG was 24.0..No a/c, however sunroof is open around town..

My Mustang GT averages around 20 around town and maybe 22 on the eway at 75+..

The Camry usually gets around 24 in city driving which isn't really great for a 4-banger..
    All of my 4 cylinder Camrys (2005,2007,2009) could crack 33+ mpg on the highway, but thats pure highway. The 05 could get 23mpg around town, the 2007 was good for 26mpg around town, and the hybrid is good for 33 mpg. So 24 mpg in city driving for a Camry is not bad at all. But with mixed driving it should be better, considering how well these things handle highway driving.

My Mustang GT (2004) was an 18mpg around town 28mpg on the highway, 5 speed stick.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I always get 32-33 mpg highway driving on my 2006 camry v6.
    I believe you. I have 2006 toyota camry v6. EPA rated 28 HWY. I got 33.9 mpg . miles driven 484.8. 14.3 gallons used.

99 % highway driving. 65 MPH. Used cruise control most of the time.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    One tank isn't an accurate measure. I have gotten over 30 mpg on individual tanks with my 05 V6 (3.3L) but never averaged over 29 when multiple tanks were averaged.
    I am sorry to hear you didn't averaged over 29.

I averaged 30 to 33 all the time. the highway I use doesn't have too much traffic. I use cruise as much as possible. by the way I am using chevron 87 and castrol synthetic motor oil. Michelin primacy tire.
  • disko1disko1 Member Posts: 10
    My wife has a 2011 Camry LE 4 cyl 6 speed auto bought new 12-2010. She has a 2 mile drive to work and a small loop in town otherwise as well as a weekly 46 mile Highway run. Basically a little less than half her miles are Highway. I would say she brakes and accelerates a little harder than normal but certainly not a racer type. Since I bought her the car in winter she warms up the car in the morning for 10-15 mins before driving to work. The car runs great otherwise. Obviously, the record keeping will continue on into the summer as gasoline mix changes and no warming up is required. Of course, AC will be on in the summer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

EPA rated 22 city 32 Highway
    Total miles driven 1864
    Avg MPG 15.74 on 9 fill ups
    I would submit two thoughts.

You don't say if the Camry is garaged but, in any case, a 30 SECOND warm-up should be plenty sufficient. All you need to do is to get the oil circulating and, with the proper grade winter oil blend, idling for 10-15 minutes is unnecessary and will use a HUGE amount of fuel.

Also, under very gentle acceleration my 2011 comparable Camry does not shift into 6th speed until about 37 mph. It's possible she's doing a fair amount of driving in 5th gear.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    I wasn't aware that the 4 cylinder is a 6 speed transmission. Is that correct?

On my v-6 I have the same fuel mpg's as you do. Some on this sight have suggest a upgrade in spark plugs. I too drive short distances and let the car warm up in the winter. My mpgs are around 15-16 also in the winter. I'm not happy about it at all and feel I have problems with the transmission and it shifting points. Toyota just keeps saying it's normal though you and I no it's not.
    The car is not garaged. We live in the snow belt so its really cold, icy and snowy. It takes 10 min to warm the interior and get enough of the ice off to drive safely when its middle of winter. Re 5th gear, city EPA is 22. Her combined is 15.74. Half her miles are Hiway. Doesn't add up on any level. I am taking the car in this week to the dealer as this is the 1st time I've sat down and did a spreadsheet on it since beginning of January. Needless to say I was shocked and dismayed. I will note the shift points if I'm able. There might be a clue there.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2011
    You warm it up 10-15 minutes, to then drive 2 miles?

Our 4 cylinder gets zero warm up time, and the temperature needle is moving up and it is starting to throw off warn air (not hot) before we're out of the development.
    My wife surely does. The cabin is a freezer with ice on the windows every morning. As for the efficiency, or lack thereof, with regard to remote warming up the car before getting in it, as opposed to starting and driving it immediately, you get no argument here. But from a comfort and safety point of view its a no brainer. That said, I made her not warm it up for a couple of tanks when she first got it and the difference, according to my lastest spreadsheet, has been negligible. But, the reason for my original post was to convey the facts of a severely underperforming car by any measurement. As I posted before, we'll see what warm weather brings with no pre warming or cooling required. That is if warm weather ever gets here.

We'll see what the dealer has to say. I will take the mechanic for a drive and we'll count the gears and where they shift. I will also address the spark plugs. However, in my 42 years of car ownership, I have never seen an underperformer like this one. My AWD Honda Ridgeline pick up got better mileage than this Camry. Enough said, but if anyone has more ideas or comments I'd like to read them.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Not sure where you live. But I live in Northeast Ohio and during the winter months ( late Oct through late Mar ) my mileage drops any where from 8% to 10% ) because of the additives they add to the fuel to prevent fuel line freeze up. It also takes longer to get around in bad weather.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    With a 15 minute warmup more than half of yor gas goes toasted warming up the car. Wait till spring mpg will improve.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning patriotpaul:

My two vehicles are NOT garaged, so on a cold morning with ice, snow or frost on the windows, I need to get some heat into the vehicle in order to clear the windows. ---- Depending on the temperature, I might need to run the engine between 5 to 10 minutes to get enough heat to clear the windows. ----- I have a choice to make; ----- see out the windows & burn fuel to get heat in the vehicle, ---- or ----- have poor vision while driving and save fuel! ----- I choose to have heat! ----- Personally; ---- I think this "fuel issue" is getting "blown out of proportion" to the extent that drivers are reluctant to accelerate on the entrance ramp to a highway, ----- because they are afraid to burn excess fuel. This "lack of action" (acceleration), is causing accidents on the highway. ------- (WE AS A SOCIETY ARE OBSESSED WITH EPA!) ------When I enter a highway, I accelerate to highway speed, and then settle down to a cruising speed. ------ (YES, I BURN FUEL, BUT I DO NOT CAUSE AN ACCIDENT!)----- YES, fuel conservation is important, but in the process, you still have to "live" and "function." ------ I refuse to drive a vehicle in the cold weather that is not comfortable, SAFE, and at operating temperature. --- (I do not gamble, drink or smoke, so I will spend that money on gasoline, and in the process make myself comfortable!) ---- I work hard, and I want to enjoy some comforts in life! ---- Life is too short to worry about the "small stuff!"

Best regards. ------------- Dwayne :shades: ;)
    kenym,

I live in se michigan and yes, mpg has been affected by winter fuel mix in some vehicles I have owned. Taking your 10% number, that would boost the overall mpg from 15.74 to 17.31. With about 1/2 city and 1/2 hiway, that is still way low from the epa 22 city-32 hiway. To your point of more time spent driving. While that is correct in certain weather and in certain traffic situations, the net effect to my wife is marginal I think. So far the numbers haven't stood out as being radically different during bad weather weeks. On the other hand one could make a case for improved mileage as overall speed is down as well in many instances. Over the long term, they probably cancel each other out. Again, I'm talking about my wife's driving habits and numbers only. Good stuff, all of it.
    duleyr,

Where do you get the numbers to support the statement

With a 15 minute warmup more than half of yor gas goes toasted warming up the car:

Thanks,
    Hi All:

When trying to decide whether or not to "warm up your vehicle" on a cold morning, ---- ask yourself this question: ------- "Would you jump out of bed on a cold morning, run out of your house and proceed to run a marathon, ---- or would you take some time to "wake up" and "warm up"?

By letting your vehicle heat up, this action, (while burning fuel), allows all the internals of the engine and the related fluids to expand due to heat. ---- This includes the piston rings, ( which seal the pistons to the side of the cylinder walls.) ----- Better fit = less blow by!

It might not be required by the manufacturer, but the vehicle does drive a lot better when it is warm, as opposed to being cold! (The transmission even shifts better!) ------ If you are driving a short distance, warming up a vehicle could be very important! ----- (Short distance driving, on a cold engine, will produce sludge!)

Starting and driving on a cold engine is very hard on the engine! ----- Lubricants and other fluids do not flow easily when they are cold, and this results in dry mating mechanical surfaces. ---- Lubrication of these mating surfaces is extremely important immediately upon cold start up! ---- (Cold oil does not flow easily!)

But like everything else associated with vehicle maintenance, there are many opinions and beliefs! ------ If you do not believe in "engine warm up" on a cold day, ---- do not do it! ----- NOTE: ------ In the marine world, captains DO NOT leave the dock until their engines are at normal operating temperature, (both diesel & gas engines / four cycle & two cycle / inboards, I-O,s & outboards)! ----- Why is it so important for a boat engine, and not important for a land based vehicle? ------ REMEMBER a boat is used mostly in warm weather!

The decision is yours! ----- Enjoy your vehicle! ------ Have a great day!

Best regards. ----------------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse: ;)
    This morning was a real good example of warming up vs not. It was mid 20's. As is my habit, not my wife's, I did a little exterior scrape, got in and drove. Fast forward a minute or so, I'm using washer solvent to get the remaining ice/frost off the windshield, which is only partially effective as the glass frosts up immediately again. I'm putting on my sunglasses while my 14 year old is shivering while commenting that Mom always warms the car up. I'm thinking I wish I had a warmer coat myself. In that moment, I realized the benefits of getting settled in with all systems go, more clearly than ever, because of the forum here.

However, to the point, I'm just tryng to determine how much fuel gets burned on a 10 or 15 minute warmup before driving.
    Good Morning disko1:

Your are asking the wrong questions! ----- You should be asking; ----- 1.) How much internal wear am I creating by driving a "cold engine" with "little lubricant" due to thick oil in the crankcase? ----2.) How much "blow-by" am I dumping into the crankcase, due to a lack of a seal between the piston rings and the cylinder walls because the pistons have not expanded? ---- 3.) How much stress am I putting on the automatic transmission? ----- Think of a vehicle as a human body! ---- When I wake up in the morning, I like to ease into life, take care of my personal needs, have a cup of tea or coffee, and slowly start to deal with the problems of the day! ---- The modern vehicle is combination of many systems working in a synergistic fashion to create a vehicle that is efficient, powerful, safe and operating within the defined emission limits. --- The oxygen sensor and the Cat Converter must be hot to do their jobs properly. ----- You are not saving money by not warming your vehicle. ---- Down the road, there is a possibility that you will be spending money on engine / transmission maintenance because of this action. ---- Five minutes is not that long on an average morning. ----- In an extra cold climate ten minutes will allow you to clean your windows properly and get some heated air on the windows. ----- But like anything else, the final decision is yours. ----- You purchased the vehicle, -- and you are paying the bills! ----------- As you can see from my other postings, both the the Camry & Malibu boards, I tend to give my vehicles VERY good maintenance. ----- I divide the oil and filter change intervals of the manufacturer in half, which results in changing my oil and filter every 2,500 miles. ---- I want clean oil in the crankcase on a cold morning! --- (Many people on these boards will disagree with me and my philosophy of vehicle maintenance, and that is "ok" since each one of us has a different opinion on this subject. ------ I respect their opinion, but I choose to act in a different fashion! ----- It doesn't make me right and them wrong! It just means that we see things from a different point of view. --- Engines are expensive and oil & filters are cheap!) Best regards. ----- Enjoy your vehicle. ------ Have a GREAT day! ----------- Dwayne :shades: :confuse:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I live in South Dakota so I am very familiar with cold temps and cars. Up here we use an invention called a scraper to get the ice off of the vehicle. We also wear jackets when it is cold outside so we are not cold in our cars. ;)

And idling for 15 minutes uses as much or more gas than driving for 2 miles (5 minutes ?). Especially since the 15 minute idle is a fast idle because the car is cold. It is fine if you let the car run (it won't hurt the vehicle but it won't help it either), but don't expect to come anywhere near EPA numbers.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    edited March 2011
    You could probably estimate it pretty well.

- Look up the cc's of the engine (volume of the cylinders)
    - Note the engine idle speed RPM's, and divide by 2 (since in a 4 cycle engine a sparkplug fires once for every 2 revolutions, and hence you're only filling the cylinder once for every 2 rev's
    - Volume times the number of rev's per minute, will yield the volume per min of mixed fuel that you are burning.
    - Look up the air/fuel mixture ratio for the engine, and divide the total volume/min by that number. That will tell you how much fuel you're using per min. (The rest of the volume is air, which doesn't cost you anything).
    - Convert the measurement from liters or cc's (whichever you are using), to gallons. You'll now know the gallons / min consumed.
    - Multiple by the # of minutes of warm up, and the cost per gallon of fuel, and you'll have your cost per warmup.

As I tell my daughter, labels are your friend. Watch all your labels when you multiple and cancel them out, so you get the correct answer.
    Thanks for the info. Now, I have a proposal for you. I'm assuming you live in Kiawah. I'm going to Myrtle Beach area 4-2 thru the 9th. Lets play a round of golf somewhere and lunch/drinks are on me if you do the math.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    edited March 2011
    Doesn't anyone here use their garage ;)

I keep my two cars in my two car garage, but for the past month I've left one outside and it's made a huge difference. The garage rarely gets below 40F even when it's 0F outside. The car inside starts better and runs better compared to being outside, not to mention not having to clear off the snow and ice.

Maybe the real solution is to clean out your garage!
    dudleyr,

If I lived in SD, I'd drive a diesel and never turn it off during the winter :) Here in the banana belt, it is almost April and we're still scraping ice in the morning in SE MI. I lived in Northern MI for a long time. Up North ( euphamism for Northern MI as opposed to where I live in SE MI) we'd keep the diesel engines on field equipment running virtually all winter sometimes. We'd also have oil warmers to keep our personal vehicles oil from becoming sludge overnight.

Anyhow, I love your neck of the woods. Spent a few days at Crazy Horse and Rushmore last summer. Black Hills too. Very favorable tax environment in SD too.
    Touche Bob...
    You're a Zen guy... :shades: I have to admit something here. The Camry is a lease with all inclusive maintenance so I will do what the schedule says. That is why I bought it for the wife. In theory it was about as cheap as I could get a new car at that time, which also fit what she wanted. This is why the lousy mileage is an issue. Obviously, my overall cost of ownership is higher than I anticipated. I expected aout 25 MPG combined, not 15.74, given the epa's were 22-32. Think about it, I could have squeezed a better car out of this deal for the same money given the actual mileage I'm getting.
    edited March 2011
    Hi dudleyr:

Where I live, we also use a "scraper" and a "brush" to remove snow and light ice.---------- (I think this invention was just introduced to New Jersey this year!) ;) -- But when it comes to removing heavy ice from the windshield and the wipers, it takes some heat! --------- (A scraper will not do the job!)---- The only way that can happen is by running the engine and getting the defroster going to heat the windshield. (You cannot pour warm water on the cold glass!) ----- Any ideas on this subject? (Maybe I can use a "heat gun" and a very long extension cord.)------- If you want comfort, you need to expend energy! ----- You cannot bring in the "comfort war" under budget! ------ Dwayne ------ :shades: :)
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    edited April 2011
    Well, without going back to re-read your posts, all I can say if your wife doesn't drive the car in the manner in which the EPA runs its tests, she's not going to achieve the EPA numbers. Warming up a car for 10-15 minutes and then driving only 2 miles is going to result in very poor mileage for any vehicle, regardless of whether some of the miles are accumulated for longer distances on the highway.

That is the problem with the "city" figure -- it can vary so much depending on how the car is used in short-trip driving. The original EPA city mpg was based on something called the "LA cycle," as in Los Angeles, where it never gets cold. As I recall, the simulation started with a warm engine, without using a/c, and running the car for about 19 miles over about half an hour, with some full stops and a top speed of 48 mph -- not even close to your wife's city driving style.
    ok. I have 2006 Toyota Camry V6. My Previous best avg was 33.9... I was using castrol synthetic.

My new high is 34.6 mpg.. I am using chevron supreme API SN/ GF5.

So I will not be using synthetic.. Dino oil will do the job, it is only $2 a quart, get better mileage.

So if you guys doing oil change DIY, Make sure you get the oil that have API SN/GF5.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-20 with no issues ever and am getting 31 mpg in mixed driving now that the temps in the DC metro have warmed up. Straight highway I got 35.9 for a jaunt up to NJ and back. I Buy it at Walmart @ $14 for the 5 qt jug. I also use Purolator Pure One filters at $5 so the whole deal costs about $20. Most name brand oils willl carry the correct API SN designation and are ok for most vehicles in the US except for VW. VW specs for either Castrol or Mobil 1 full synthetic.
  • AndyxleAndyxle Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am consistently getting between 22 and 24 mpg on a 2010 Camry XLE, 4 cylinder. While unhappy with that low number ( though it is for 50% city driving in a large metro), my bigger issue is the in-dash mileage meter. This meter reports the mileage as 26 or 26.5 and yet when I check the mileage manually, it is much lower.

Can Toyota re-calibrate the meter? Has anybody had that done? Or do I just take its readings with a pinch of salt?

Thanks

Andy
    I've used Motorcraft semi synthetic 5w-20 in my 05,07, and 09 Camrys and they all loved the stuff. I plan on trying the new Mobil 5000 Super (SN) next and see how that goes.
    I just completed 3/4 of my semi-annual sojourn from FL to NH. Naples, FL to Walterboro, SC, to Winchester, VA to Stamford, CT. Each day my trip computer showed just above 41 mpg in my 2011, heavily loaded XLE Camry I4.

As an example, from Walterboro, SC to Winchester, VA, my GPS says the distance was 326.2 miles, time traveled 5:24, average fuel economy 40.1 mpg and fuel cost of $29.24 using a $3.77 per gallon price. I have approximately 6800 miles and will change my synth oil for the first time in September. I am thoroughly pleased.

BTW. I'm getting sick and tired of all the whining and belly-aching about fuel prices from the public and lame-stream media. I set my cruise control on 60 and from FL to CT the complainers were flying by me doing 70-80 mph. If they want to *itch about fuel prices do something about conserving fuel!

OK, off my soapbox.
  • lazorinalazorina Member Posts: 2
    You probably forgot to count in manifold pressure to atmospheric pressure ratio. It is roughly 1/8 - hence result will be 8 times less.
    If lunch will be guaranteed I will check tomorrow manifold pressure on my Camry when it warms up :) Note that RPM and manifold pressure changes when engine warms up. Best would be to integrate fuel burned via OBD-II scanner and then normalize counting fuel pumped on the gas station versus ODB-II integral number between two fill-ups. Could do latter as well...
  • flbntzflbntz Member Posts: 43
    I let my car settle down, let the tach come down to under 1,000 rpms before I drive it, just so it won't jerk when I put it in gear. 30 sec? First tank on my 2011 2.5l AT 32.09mpg.
    GPS MPG is not accurate.. in your case, the actual mpg is probably around 38.
    I recommend you should check the tire pressure PSI. I bought one from sears. it is craftsman digital tire pressure guage. cost around $20. It is very useful.

I am not sure what PSI recommend for 2010 camry.. I think 32 PSI.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Several co-workers of mine used this method of warming the interior of the car up on cold and snowy mornings in eastern Ohio. They bought small ceramic cube heaters, long extension cords, and lamp timers.

When they got home from work they placed the heater in the car, connected the heater to the timer and extension cord, set it to turn on 30 min before they left for work, then plugged the extension cord into an outlet. They usually placed the heater on some kind of heavy base to keep it steady. When it was time for them to leave for work the car was warm and glass was clear or easily scraped clean.

They used this method for years and it saved them both gas and scraping frustration.
    30.25mpg. 430.4 miles, 14.228 gallons.
    25.95mpg. Did use ac most, or all of the time, plus ripped around, and had fun, now that the engine's broken in. Disappointed, but still liking the car.
  • cheap_charliecheap_charlie Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 XLE and previously had a 2007 XLE, both four cylinders. I do not think that there is anything to be done about the mileage discrepancy, but in this computerized age I could be wrong. I have the same complaint and it seems that both cars showed about 1.5 MPG greater than actual. I have a suspicion that this could be intentional as there are those that probably take Toyota’s word for the MPG and do not realize that it is not what they say it is.

It seems that the mileage that you quote is a bit on the low side if where you are driving has areas where you can run 45 – 55. My 07 was a five-speed, the 11 is a six-speed. The five-speed would shift into fifth at about 48 MPH. The 11 shifts into fifth at about 40 MPH (1500 RPM) and into sixth at about 48 MPH (again 1500 RPM). If you accelerate up to where it shifts and then go lightly on the foot feed I think you might see an improvement in you mileage.
    I had a 2010 Prius, a 2010 Golf, and now a 2011 Camry. My Camry does not have the on-board gas milage computer, so I'm doing it the old fashioned way, but my Golf, and my Prius did. My Prius routinely overestimated milage by 2.4mpg, the Golf 1.5. I don't know why that is, but I wondered with the Prius, if it was intentional, since I rarely got the advertised milage, albeit in the winter months, where they said the motor needed to run to run the heater. I traded it in on the Golf in March, so only saw 50mpg, according to the display, twice.
  • dave384dave384 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2011 Camry LE.
    Back and forth to work,1/2 highway with 4-5 traffic lights and 1/2 interstate I average 28 m.p.g.
    I have driven on a interstate at 60-65 m.p.h. and have averaged about 35 m.p.g. Using a calculator.
    Since the car is brand new I expect these numbers to increase somewhat after the car is broken in.
    I also use a torque application on my droid phone with a plug in that goes to my O.D. port. This gives me real time and trip average gas milaege just like the cars that have the gas mileage screen.
    At a steady 60 m.p.h. no wind flat ground my car can get 37-38 m.p.g. indicated. At 70 m.p.h. it drops to closer to 30-31 m.p.g. indicated on my phone.
    As for the accuracy of the electronic displays they are not 100% accurate. To be 100% accurate would require some very expensive hardware/software in your car. I expect them to be off by +- 3 mpg. However this doesn't render them useless. They can still be used to learn how to drive your car in the most efficient manner. The higher the number the better the gas milaege you are getting. I still use a calculator to figure out my gas milaege despite having the latest electronic gadgetry.
    As for filling your car up you should stop at the fist click or round up to the next.25 cent point. Overfilling your car may damage the vapor recovery system.