Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer (2002 models)

csmlocsmlo Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Ford
does anyone have an idea when the 2002 model will
be available? i heard in middle of december,if
anyone has any idea please let me know thnaks
edmunds says if you're going to buy a new explorer
wait for the new design in 2002 model

Comments

• scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    2002 not coming until next year. Motor Trend and Car and Driver have good reviews. New all aluminum V8 coming also! All kinds of suspension, drivetrain upgrades. Sounds as if the Explorer will retain its number one SUV spot..
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Not if they put firestone tires on em
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    As the current owner of a (different) Ford product with a V8, SLA front and rear suspension - and a lot of aluminum - and is (continuously) lusting for more torque and hp (through mods from the aftermarket that are still not available for my current car) I'm curious if anyone has heard of an availability date for the 2002 Explorer?
    BTW: I have had no trouble with my Firestone tires - even at 142 mph...
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Who can see potential for (well over) 300 hp - and a great steaming pile of torque - from the 4.6L V8 with minimal aftermarket parts.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • thecargonzothecargonzo Member Posts: 31
    Ford will be going with a second-source tire supplier for the 2002's, reported to be Michelin.
    This is in addition to the previously announced
    new "improved" Firestone's. Even with this move, I still see sales dropping. With new competion from GM (2002 Trailblazer, Envoy and Bravada), the bad "Exploder" PR, and eventual SUV "fatigue", sales might not be as strong as old Jac and Willy hope.
  • thadjosh9thadjosh9 Member Posts: 8
    I think the new Explorer will do great. What other SUV will offer so many cool gadgets and offer so many thought out ideas. Ford really hurt the Taurus sales when it came out with the 1996 oval one. I think we will see them NOT making that mistake on the worlds best selling SUV!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    if they will offer it with Firestones or not?
    it depends on a lot of things.
    cool gadgets so what if people dont feel safe in them they wont sell. Hopefully ford changes tire manufacturers
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    ryanbab,
    The only that Ford will change tire manufacturers is if people like you and I simply refuse to accept a new vehicle with death-stones. If you're ordering the vehicle new, put on the paperwork that you will not accept the vehicle with death-stone tires.

When the dealer starts the "I have no control over the brand of tires" song and dance, counter with "That's a problem between you and Ford. I will not accept the new vehicle with death-stones." We have every right to be anal, it's our life that Firestone holds in such low regard.

Twice burned by Firestone,
    Rich
    My silverado came with firestones. I was gonna switch em out to goodyear but i didnt want to pay the $250 extra. In hindsight i might have changed them. I have 6000 mls and they seem fine but ill probabaly dump them after winter. I do feel safe in mine. I know i check mine frequently. (once a wk at least)

Ryan
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    Read it on an AOL news story covering the current fiasco. As it stands now, people who are trying to replace their current tires are looking at a minimum 1 month back-order on all Michelin tires that fit the current Explorer.
  • csmlocsmlo Member Posts: 9
    can someone please tell me the difference between a fully loaded xlt or the eddie bauer? besides that the fully loaded xlt is cheaper on a lease?
    thanks
    Just a name???
    Here is a link I found. Has all of the details and specs about the new Explorer.
    http://www.media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=239&press_subsection_id=421
    i still cant find the differnce between a fully loaed xlt or the eb, the xlt comes with the trim around the weels etc whats the difference? anyone????
  • gbridgemangbridgeman Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a new 2002 Sport Trac is scheduled to come on the market when the other 2002 Explorer models arrive in early 2002? If so, would there be any significant changes from the 2001 model?

Does anyone know when the Tacoma Doublecab is scheduled to arrive in show rooms and what the pricing might be?
  • wmcleanwmclean Member Posts: 1
    Will the release of the Sport be still later than the release of other Explorers? In fact, has not the 2001 Sport already included many of the improvements they plan to incorporate in other 2002 Explorers?
  • tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    My parents bought an XLT expidition, got every option an eddie bauer had, even the moldings of 2-tone color on the outside, saved about 2 grand
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    You pick all the goodies you want put down a deposit and in 2 months or less your custom built
    SUV arrives.Should be able to get it for close to invoice since there is no flooring costs.The
    comparison fo EB vs XLT reminded me of in 1998 I wanted an Explorer sport with all the Goodies
    so I ordered one and now I have one of the few
    Sports with moonroof.I might add it has been
    flawless for 30K miles.Because it is short and tall it discourages high speeds (80 mph).
  • tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    I read in Car and Driver magazine that the 2002 explorers should have the 4.8L V8 from the ford trucks, that should be nice
    dis anyone hear that the new 2002 ford explorer is being delayed untill april?if anyone has any infoplease respond thank you
  • benzgirl4benzgirl4 Member Posts: 1
    Just heard from Ford dealer today that 2002 will be delayed till april
  • tex4tex4 Member Posts: 3
    Hate to be a dummy, but so I am perfectly clear.......! The 2002 Ford Explorer will be available in April of 2001? Is this correct? Any confirmation of this would be much appreciated.
    any new info when it will be out? i saw a commercial for it? does anyone know if the xlt fullu loaded will it have fog lights?
  • tractiontraction Member Posts: 141
    The engineer at the Ford event said Job 1 for the 2002 Explorer was last Monday 11/13. They are building them at a slow rate to assure the quality. He said more than 500 pre-production units have already been built for testing purposes.

They had two of the preproduction ones on display. You could even sit inside. They are awesome.

The rear suspension is very sophisticated looking and allows for a nice third row seat which folds down flat. You can fold down the seats without removing the head rests which is nice. Same for the middle row seats, you just move a lever and the seat folds flat, real easy. The middle row has three separate seats that can each fold down separately.
    The tires on the 2002 are either Goodyear Wrangler AP or the all-new Michelin Cross Terrain.
    Here is a link to the Michelin tires that will be offered on the new 2002 Explorer.

www.crossterrainsuv.com
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Any idea what a loaded 2002 Explorer 2wd will go for,or is it too early to tell?
  • craigd4craigd4 Member Posts: 6
    I'm seriously considering buying a new 2002 Explorer. I had a '97 with a V8 and it was really a gas hog. However, I have a 22' travel trailer to haul and hesitate to try the new V6. Any thoughts on the new V8, particularly on torque, and what aftermarket goodies could boost it's power? Thanks!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2002 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer is now available. Here's a direct link to the First Drive: 2002 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer, By Christian J. Wardlaw. Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • gettingold1gettingold1 Member Posts: 4
    I believe the 4.6 is the simular to the one they use in the mustang and the Mark 8 and the old thunderbird, if this is true, the additional 600+ they are asking is more than worth it. I had it in my 94 mark8 and loved it dearly, it is far better than the 5.0 they have used until now, far smoother and great rpm, and this comes from a long time fan of the 5.0 ive had in my 94 cobra and i still have in my 68 fastback. Mark my words, this engine will be a favorite of all who buy it, not that you could go wrong with the 4.0 v-6, i would have suggested it in the past for the same reasons im saying to get the v-8 now. This engine is the reason im taking note now, i thought my wife and i were heading towards the new ADX at the end of 2001 until i heard they were putting this engine in, can't wait to drive it!!
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I read the report on the new 2002 by edmunds. I don't need a 3rd seat and would like more room in the second row seat, not less. Stopped by ford to check out the 2001 model. Doors sound too tinny and the engine noise on this $37,000 stickered exporer was unforgivable both inside the vehicle and out. Time to move on to the next one.
    Thanks for the feedback on the 4.6 V8 for the new Explorer. As I tow a trailer I was particularly fond of the commments that it even retains at max. torque at 1500 rpm's. Thanks again.

CD
  • pcervenakpcervenak Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know for sure if Ford is going to produce the 2dr "Sport" version of the Explorer? I recently attended the Phoenix Auto Show with the new Explorer (4 dr) on display and some brochures showing the new product but none contained any pictures or inference of the 2dr being carried over into the new model year.
  • bulldogger2bulldogger2 Member Posts: 1
    I HEARD THE 2002 WILL FOLD DOWN TO A FLATBED LIKE THE DODGE DURANGO. HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS? WHEN WILL THE 2002 BE AVAILABLE?
    Anyone heard when they will be at the dealers? There is no pricing on the web for on-line dealers, just Edmunds and KBB, which is helpful. Cheers my friends.... CD
This discussion has been closed.