Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• phd86phd86 Member Posts: 110
    Felicitations:

Not so happy holidays, if you are a camry owner and really tracking your mileage, is it? Mileage isn't like what is stated on the sticker, or what you read in a few isolated posts on this website? Join the party.

I haven't read your previous posts; but I bet you've read mine. I would be impressed with a 2007 camry that got 28.5 mpg as an average; but that's your maximum, right? Based on multiple road-tests of this model and year, I would say you should get around 24-25 on normal freeway driving. You might do a little better (and you did) on long trips.

16 mpg in city? Yup. That could be right, too. I've done that low, in 100% city driving - - - and I'm not talking about 2-3 mile trips; just plain city driving with the car warmed up.

I can say that, unlike you, I did get Toyota to look at my 2004, which also averaged under 20 for city, and certainly not more than 28 for freeway, although usually less.

They did look at it and perform some engine tests - a whole day - and comp-ed me one day of rental. But that sure as heck wasn't the dealership that sold me the car. Although Toyota intervened and paid for the tests then, I think they know, by now, that the car doesn't do any better than what you (and I) are getting for MPG.

I will continue to check this website, but so far, just as you can't squeeze blood out of a stone, you can't squeeze 30 mpg out of a camry.

Happy New Year.
  • troylikesbikestroylikesbikes Member Posts: 132
    I will continue to check this website, but so far, just as you can't squeeze blood out of a stone, you can't squeeze 30 mpg out of a camry.

The impossible dream!!

Lets not be too categorical though..you need to add the caveat, "except for those who have been doing it in 2 different centuries now, 4 cylinder or 6, auto or stick, loaded and unloaded, spanning the last 4 generations of Camry."

:)

When you use the word "can't" when a majority who post here "can", it strikes me as being just a little too definitive without the above mentioned caveat.
  • keislkeisl Member Posts: 16
    LOL - You reminded me of the first time (only one I know of) that I got into the car with a two footed driver.... I jumped out and refused to drive with them! So, no... I am no a two footed driver! I have gotten much better gas mileage - in other cars - and I know when I'm being a bit lead footed, and expect to get lower mileage on those occasions, but it's usually only 1-2 MPG difference anyway. Under the same driving conditions I get different MPG's with every fill-up.

I do not currently drive in any traffic - but all my trips are very short now. I can go check the mail (PO Box) get a cup of coffee (my fix) pick up work at a client, hmmmm, maybe a trip to the grocery store, go home and not have put 8 miles on my car. Every two months (or so) I take a 240 mile trip, then drive in the traffic of LA and Orange County (CA) for a few days, and return home. I fill up at the end of the 240 miles, and usually get between 24 and 26 MPG, but I'm usually driving about 80 in the middle of nowhere.

My Corolla used to get over 35-38 MPG on the same trip doing about 85-90. I know I now have a bigger car, but I've slowed down some, and I was hoping a newer car would get closer gas mileage. I have tried driving 70, turning off the AC (even when it's over 100 outside), not stopping, but there really is no noticeable improvement in the gas mileage (usually less than 1-2 MPG), that's pretty much when I've hit 28MPG, although, I have hit that driving 80 with the AC on, so I'm confused.

I think I'm just kinda stuck, unless I can convince someone to really look it over - which means I'm just plain stuck. I don't have anyone to look at it, and the nearest dealer is 75 miles away (and the one I bought the car from is 240 miles away).

Thank you for considering my plight.
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    I returned from a long trip to Long Island from the Pittsburgh area.
    ON the way there overnight, we {me} averaged about 75-80 and figured out about 27-28mpg. Not bad for a high speed trip loaded with family and luggage.
    Around town wife drives it and gets about 25, maybe 26 mpg.
    Not bad for a V-6.
    Thats about the only good thing about this :lemon: of mine
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I haven't updated everyone in a while, so here's the latest:

07 CE manual transmission, I have tracked the last 7 fill-ups in a row, all but one at the exact same pump, never topping off. This eliminates any major filling "errors", because you would see a major variation one way or another if there were any of these filling issues.

31.17, 30.51, 29.47, 33.22, 30.29, 31.86, 29.82. Very consistent, and I am more than satisfied. The highest (33.22) was on a long trip (451.2 miles, 13.58 gallons). This was on level terrain, 71 mph almost all highway (all but 17 miles), no high winds.
    I think I'm just kinda stuck, unless I can convince someone to really look it over - which means I'm just plain stuck. I don't have anyone to look at it, and the nearest dealer is 75 miles away (and the one I bought the car from is 240 miles away).

Thank you for considering my plight.

I feel really bad for you....you are hitting one of the most difficult circumstances there is in auto repair. A "gee everything works right but not really..." kinda thing which mechanics just blow off the instant they figure out this is what you are telling them. If there isn't a squeaky noise, black residue all over your bumper, wobbly wheels, lights shining on the dashboard, they just zone out and figure you are crazy.

It sounds like your mileage for the Corolla is right in the ballpark for a regular driver, and your Camry shouldn't be too far behind.

Just for fun, what HAVE you checked out? Anything? I can envision a scenario where the fuel mapping is off, so the car is basically running rich all the time, I've done this before with motorcycles where I installed custom fuel maps. Have you gotten the software upgrade for the Camrys hesitation problem?
    07 CE manual transmission, 31.17, 30.51, 29.47, 33.22, 30.29, 31.86, 29.82. Very consistent, and I am more than satisfied. The highest (33.22) was on a long trip (451.2 miles, 13.58 gallons). This was on level terrain, 71 mph almost all highway (all but 17 miles), no high wind.

My last tank was 31.5, approx 50/50. Then before the snows arrived I washed it, put it in the garage and covered it for the winter. She's down till spring.

The shifting has smoothed out a little since new, tires are wearing well, the seat is as comfortable as anything I've ever traveled in, I'm pretty happy with it so far.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    As per my last post, i mentioned i just purchased a very clean 03 LE camry, Auto, I4 with just 38 k miles. I also said i drive from So Cal. to Phx weekly. #1 report...424miles 12.8 Ga. = 33.1 mpg. This was at 75 mph cruise control all the way. Tempuratures approx 50 degrees, no wind per say. I will do it next time @ 70 mph and report on Monday 1-7-08

P.S. I ALways top off, leaving the gas visible sitting on the lip. So my fill ups are exremely accurate.

Ciao Caaz
    As per my last post, i mentioned i just purchased a very clean 03 LE camry, Auto, I4 with just 38 k miles. I also said i drive from So Cal. to Phx weekly. #1 report...424miles 12.8 Ga. = 33.1 mpg.

Ciao!! You have accomplished the IMPOSSIBLE!!!! Well...not really....

Anyway, sounds pretty reasonable to me. There are quite a few people reporting similar mileage, similar speeds, etc etc. Try running the trip sometime at about 60-65 mph, yeah, it'll take a little longer but I'm curious to see if others can get a consistent 35mpg with just a wee bit of slowing down.

An honest 35mpg is the best I've ever been able to get out of any of my Camry's, although I haven't tried this particular routine with my manual 07 yet.

I have a tough time running a tank through it at 60-65mph though, out west its just too darn easy to run 75-90mph. Which must cost a couple MPG, at least.
  • phd86phd86 Member Posts: 110
    I don't put any stock in single tankful measures on medium length trips, where the driver is filling up 12.8 gallons, there is all sorts of fillup error, although this accuracy claim based on gas on a lip is a new one. Put together 5-10 consecutive tankfuls and odometer readings, and then post the results.
    Yes, see my post 570 for an example. I am very satisfied with my MPG. Best out of the last seven tanks was 33.22, worst 29.47. If the weather was warmer, it would be a little higher.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I have read 2 or 3 different tests (C&D, CR, etc.) that indicated about a 5 mpg increase for each 10 mph decrease. IOW, if you slow down from 75 to 65 you should see about a 5 mpg increase in mileage. Haven't tested it out myself but it sounds reasonable.
  • dremdrem Member Posts: 24
    I get a tight average of 36mpg at an indicated 72 and tight average of 40mpg at an indicated 66mph. That applies to both my 99 and 04 4 cyl automatics. I made only one test run at a (slowwwww) 60mph in my 99, but it yielded 44mpg. All runs were ~99% cruise control.

Regards,

Drem
    I get a tight average of 36mpg at an indicated 72 and tight average of 40mpg at an indicated 66mph. That applies to both my 99 and 04 4 cyl automatics.

It appears we have now broached impossible and moved straight into alien abduction, Bermuda Triangle and Fantasy Island country!!

40mpg?! Got me beat....but I have hopes. I'm tempted to try a trip from Denver to Deadhorse Alaska, which should give me lots of slower, 45-65mph type driving, if I ever have a chance of driving slow enough to get to 40mpg, that would be my chance.
  • gardner5236gardner5236 Member Posts: 20
    Filling your tank until it pools on the top of the filler neck is not new to me. In fact, that's how I fill up my 07 Camry LE all the time. Doing it this way ensures that there is no error when calculating true MPG for that tank. If you just let the pump cycle off by itself, there is no guarantee that it shut off at the same fuel level every time. This is especially true from pump to pump. By filling up the entire filler neck until it pools at the top, you are ensuring that the tank is filled to the exact level at every fill up.
    This is the way I do it. Pump until it shuts off automatically, then pull the nozzle out of the filler neck. Rest the end of the pump on the end of the filler neck, so that you can see the entire hole where the fuel goes. Kind of aim the pump at the hole and squeeze slowly until you get a slow steady stream of fuel. Now just hold it there until the fuel comes out of the hole and rests on the filler neck. You will have to do this a few times because the fuel will build up in the filler neck. So, fill up until it reaches the top and stop pumping, wait for the fuel to settle and begin pumping slowly again. Eventually the fuel will reach the top and actually pool in the filler neck.
    Some fuel pumps actually suck for doing this so, try to find a good pump and use that one often. My favorite is at Sam's Club and they keep everything pretty clean too. Just be very careful when doing this or you could end up getting fuel all over yourself. I notice that I fit well over another gallon in my tank by doing it this way. You are also ensuring that your MPG calculations are correct because you are filling to the same spot everytime. Just divide miles driven by gallons needed to fill. My last fill up was 25.8 mpg. Not too bad considering I do alot of short trips and city driving. Good luck. Find a good pump and be careful.
    Just be very careful when doing this or you could end up getting fuel all over yourself. I notice that I fit well over another gallon in my tank by doing it this way. You are also ensuring that your MPG calculations are correct because you are filling to the same spot everytime.

Don't some vehicles though use more of an internal bladder containing the fuel nowadays rather than just a regular steel tank? I've got a hybrid which some people have suggested has a "variable" fill up point, depending on the temperature of the bladder, how long its been empty ( makes it contract, and therefore harder to fill ), stuff like that. Which mens even if you fill the neck to the same spot, you aren't necessarily getting the "usual" amount of fuel in, depending on other conditions.
    Aren't you at risk of getting gas into the vapor recovery system (and thus damaging it) by filling right up to the top of the spout?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I think there is some truth in that, and I wouldn't take the risk in the first place of having gas spill on me and down the side of the car. Not fun.

If you just try to be consistent each time (especially if you use the same pump where possible), the average over several tankfuls will be accurate enough.
  • chalupadropchalupadrop Member Posts: 2
    Bought an '07 Camry LE V-6 in July 2007. I have recorded gas quantity on fillups for many years, so is not a new issue for me. I drive ~ 80 miles roundtrip to work each day so large percentage of miles are highway at 65 MPH. To date, with 10,015 miles I have used 326.6 gallons for an average of 30.66 MPG.
    I fill up this way and have for years. I've never had a problem. Sometimes i'll find a pump that is really stiff...so its hard to fill up, but usually i go to the same station which has an easy flowing handle. Anyway, trip # 2..... 405 miles 11.5 gas. 35.2 Mpg ..70 mph all the way...cruise control as always, Phoenix to So Cal, it did rain a bit which i think caused a lil less mpg than i would have normally recieved, also about a 20 mph head wind. So so far

Trip 1 424 miles 12.8 gas = 33.1 @ 75 mph cruise all the way
    trip 2 405 miles 11.5 ga. = 35.2 @ 70 mph cruise all the way ( with rain & head wind)

Ill report thurs going back to Phx...

thx caaz
    To date, with 10,015 miles I have used 326.6 gallons for an average of 30.66 MPG.

We're going to have to start a club, and call it "The Impossibles" or some such if this keeps up.

My V6 Camry would return a decent 30-32 mpg when loaded and running the highway, I surely couldn't have ever gotten that as a 10,000 mile average though. I sold it in part because its around town mileage was like 18-20 with the wife driving. Of course, nearly anything the wife drives ( minivans, small sedans, sport sedans, and hybrids ) gets in that range.

My most fuel efficient move would be to get divorced.
    Trip 1 424 miles 12.8 gas = 33.1 75 mph cruise all the way
    trip 2 405 miles 11.5 ga. = 35.2 70 mph cruise all the way ( with rain & head wind)

Ill report thurs going back to Phx...

thx caaz

Neato. You guys make we wish mine wasn't put away, and I had someplace to go. I'm going to have to make a special effort in the spring to take a long cross country trip and never go faster than 65mph just to see if I can get to 40mpg or not ( we'll make another club, called the "Super Impossibles", for anyone who can regularly pull off that! :) )
    Lol.... troy, i agrre about your most efficient move, my W sits and talks to her girlfriends for 15 minutes, idling the entire time, i guess they think it grows on trees. I can always get 30% or more than the W, i'm not sure how she drives.. Also, fyi, at 65 mph my Sienna gets 33 mpg with a v=6 and quite heavy, so i'm sure people with v-6 camrys if they knew how to drive could do even better than that...same engine, much lighter vehicule.

Later
    caaz
    OMGosh.... talk about a seriously boring drive. Thank heavens i had a book on tape, lol. Well, just finished taking one for the team......

410.4 miles 10.245 Ga. = 40.058 mpg.
    I knew it could be done, but took alot of patience. 65 mph all the way, cruise control of course, and i lucked out....No wind whatsoever, or rain like my attempt at 70 mph. Now i'm really considering an attempt at 60 mph. Its really tough when cars are passing you at 80 to 85 and not want to join them. But i have to try these speeds at least once. Now it really makes me wonder when others complain about getting 32 mpg etc with thier civics...etc. ITS ALL ABOUT THE SPEED.....

Until Sunday nite when i return and post again, later...Caaz
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    40 mpg is about what I would have guessed for a Camry at a steady 65 mph.

Get ready for claims of impossible, and doubts of your truthfullness.
    Even some of us who believe spectacular mileage is achievable don't place much credence on results from one tankful. The margin for error during fill up is too great. I am impressed that you would drive 400 miles at 65 mph to prove a point though. :D
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I am impressed that you would drive 400 miles at 65 mph to prove a point though.

Me too, esp. since the posted limit is presumably 75 mph in AZ. Even I don't think I'd try 60.

Is there a parallel road with not much traffic or stop lights? US 60 perhaps?
    just as dudleyr predicted , there are unbelievers...... To resond to your "dont give much credence from a tankful, because of filler error..... My gas was topped off right to the top...and refilled the exact same way, right to the top,,,showing gas as you look. And yes 210delray the posted speed in az is 75, saw a group of cars going by about 85,,,mercedes..bmw...acura....i just stayed right lane, and even the truckers were passing me. The only time i was even with the semis..was going uphill. Not sure if i'll attempt 60 or not, but i will re-do 65 just to show the unbelievers it can be done. I'll try n choose a day with similar weather... It was freakishly calm...no wind at all when i did it thurs afternoon. As you'll notice, my Sunday nite @ 70 mph....was only 35 mpg...Strong wind..and 2 hours of pouring rain....That one will be a re-do as well. I'll be doing it all year at different speeds...just to show you its consistant. I'm actually looking forward to my 80mph trip, havnt even done that yet which is my normal speed for the trip. Did i mention my previous car was an 04 civic hybrid?....So i do know what i'm doing in reguards to extracting all i can per gallon....

Until next report....Caaz

p.s. dudley knows thats about right..... how else do you expect all these Honda Accords to be getting 45-47 from some drivers...?...i looked at thier stats closely...all done from about 50 mph and under,,,,Saw it in greenhybrid.com..so the slower....the more mpg...Later..Caaz
    OMGosh.... talk about a seriously boring drive. Thank heavens i had a book on tape, lol. Well, just finished taking one for the team......

410.4 miles 10.245 Ga. = 40.058 mpg.

TOUCHDOWN!!!! Man, you RULE!!!

I consider this just amazing, both your ability to drive that far that slowly, and the ability of the Camry to just keep giving...and giving....and giving.....

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside....at the very least I have to match such a feat, now I've got to plan a roadtrip somewhere this spring....
    "..... how else do you expect all these Honda Accords to be getting 45-47 from some drivers...?..."

Actually guilty as charged. I am an Accord owner. I Actually wanted a Camry but could not get a stick without a sunroof - hence Accord. Still interested in Camry mpg as I may have had one, and still believe they are similar in mpg. Same size engine, about the same weight.

FWIW my best tank (this is approx from memory as I am not at home) is 43.5 mpg. Took me over 500 miles (just over 300 miles at half a tank). My speed was between 60-65, tire pressure 39, Mobil one oil 0w-20, no A/C, temp about 70. This was a round trip and included two cold starts and a few small towns. Filled up at the same pump and in the same manner. Numbers were confirmed with my calibrated onboard scangauge II. They have also been repeated.

I have had the scangauge indicate in the high forties for shorter distances (about 100 miles) but that is with a tail wind. Slower speed will also yield high 40's, but I am pushing my limits as it is.

A little extrapolation for the Camry (1 mpg worse EPA) has me believing that the 40 mpg number is doable in good conditions on a long highway trip.

BTW anybody interested in getting better mpg or learning why their car does poorly should get a scangauge. It really shows you a lot about how a car runs, and how too keep things efficient.

Wind and temp play a huge role. Recently went on a 200 mile trip (100 each way). got about 34 going out and 48 coming back. Temp went from 20 to mid 40's and I was going with the wind not against. There was also a 2,000 ft elevation drop on the way back.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:
    Sunday I decided to go out to dinner. I live in northern New Jersey, and I headed south to Atlantic City. I traveled on the New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway and route 30 into Atlantic City. The Camry is one year old and it has 21,300 + miles. At 65 mph, (on the turnpike & parkway) and 50mph, (on route30), it averaged 30mpg for the entire trip. The dinner was great TOO! As I have stated before on these boards, I do not have the problems associated with this vehicle. The transmission shifts very smooth and positive. The vehicle has great acceleration! Maybe my driving style has a way of masking the issue! I like this vehicle, and I would consider another Toyota in the future. In the past I had a 2003 Honda Accord. I would go back to a Honda if they improved the seating comfort!
    Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Hope you are not still "wanted" for coasting across state lines. Where do you have your scanguage mounted? How difficult is the install?
    Sunday nites drive back was dismal. As i left phoenix it was quite windy heading west to Ca. so i knew i wasnt going to set any records. Therefore, i decided to go my usuall speed for the 1st time. Ive done the trip now at 75 70 65 and this time i went 80mph, my usuall speed. The winds were so strong i'm surprised i did as well as i did. The usual cruise control....easy accelratrion when starting etc...80mph 405 miles using 12.9 ga. = 31.4. A far cry different from 40.058 @ 65. The wind def plays a factor as well as speed. I'm also noticing a strange occurannce. I seem to get slightly better mpg going from Cal. to Phx, than Phx to cal, even on non windy days. Obviosly the jet stream is from west Ca. to east. phx...... but i'm going from sealevel...to about 1600 ft. in Phx.. Which tells me even when its fairly calm... the wnd or breeze plays a small factor.. This thurs when i return.. ive decided to go for it..60 mph.... ill do it in the middle of the night as to not impede anybodyand of course...the final decision will be made on thurs when i see what the weather is like... wind or no wind... If i was in cal last nite...heading to phx with the wind i had... i would have hit 45 mpg...@ 65...instead of 31 going against it....TTYS

Caaz

p.s.
    After i log 2 trips at each speed..60..65..70...75...80...
    under the same conditions..(calm no wind)...i'll switch to synthetic and see what kind of difference it makes... Right now i'm pure stock other than a K&N filter i installed 2 weeks ago..and im running on New Goodyear Comfort treads...(talk about QUIET)...I love my camry inside with those tires....very slient serene ride...so it'll be interesting to see if Synthetic changes anything
    Scangauge is mounted at the top of the CD storage area under the radio. I can slide the cover down to hide it completely, and can still store a half dozen CD's below it.

Sorry for being off topic.
    After completion of all your runs, please post all the results in a single post so we can see them without searching all over. Thanks.
    i'll keep you posted each time with a running total of my trips.....much easier to follow this way.!

#1 75 mph 424 mi 12.8ga. = 33.1 conditions fairly calm
    #2 70 mph 405 mi 11.5ga. = 35.2 semi strong head winds and 2 hr of rain
    #3 65 mph 410.4mi 10.245ga. = 40.058 very calm ideal weather
    #4 80 mph 405 mi. 12.9ga. = 31.4 Extremly strong head winds gusts to 60 mph

Ill keep you posted as i continue
    Caaz
  • bigrich20970bigrich20970 Member Posts: 7
    I know that living in Maine in the middle of January is going to mean LOTS of cold starts and everything.....but my 2008 camry se V6 just got 20.3 mpg over a mix of highway and city driving.....so i'm a bit disappointed :(
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    Don't feel too bad. We have a 2000 4 cyl Camry that does no better than that in cold weather. Even in warm weather, the city mileage is always under 19 mpg and the highway about 25-27. Your car will probably do better once it has more miles on it. We feel the city mileage is overstated by Toyota.
    Mileage is stated by the EPA, not Toyota.
  • calipso27calipso27 Member Posts: 15
    2007 Camry SE 4 cyl.

Have 15K on it, take it in for regular oil changes and maintenance.

At the start I was getting over 30 mpg and was ecstatic. Did a trip on highway and freeway (ranging from 60-75 mph), in the summer in MI, and got just over 500 miles on a tank.

I log my miles and keep a book of all my gas receipts. After the car got about 5K on it, my mpg dropped dramatically. I'm so disappointed. Now I'm lucky to get 22 mpg. I do a lot of back road driving - 55/60 mph with a few stop signs mixed in.

Any suggestions or ideas? I know I can mention it to my mechanic, but I'm sure they'll just blame my driving or find some other way to ignore it.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Make sure your tires are properly inflated, and you might try a different brand gasoline.
  • calipso27calipso27 Member Posts: 15
    I checked my tires recently, will check again though!
    Pretty much just use any brand of gasoline. I don't have any regular places I stop to fill up.
    #1 75 mph 424mi 12.8ga. = 33.1 conditions fairly calm

#2 70 mph 405mi 11.5ga = 35.2 semi strong headwinds and 2 hrs of hard rain

#3 65 mph 410.4 10.245ga = 40.058 very calm ideal weather

#4 80 mph 405.6 12.9ga = 31.4 extremely strong head winds gusts to 60mph

#5 80 mph 405.6 14.2ga = 28.56 winds so strong miles of I10 were covered with sand drifts...Strongest headwinds i've encountered

#6 60 mph 405.6 10.13ga = 40.039...very slight head wind

Trips#2..4..6.. from Phx to Ca. #1..3..5.. Ca to Phx Interesting how even though Phx to Ca. is 1500 ft to sea level, i always get less mpg....Jet stream & headwinds. I always get better mpg Ca to Phx. Even though i'm climbing 1500 ft. (jet stream behind me, breezes & wind to the back).. Although the 65 mpg trip was calm & un windaided.

Later
    Caaz
    Excellent data. Keep it coming. The more trips the more relevant the data.
  • timmushtimmush Member Posts: 10
    :cry: I have an 07 camry 4cyl. I am consistently getting 21/8-22.3 mpg on short 20 min drives back and forth to work. Do you think this is correct?> I see people getting 35 mpgs and I don't undertsand.. Is something wrong with my car. Tires have been checked. THanks :cry:
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    I just want to state that my 2007 V-6 SE in the winter time has only been getting 16 to 17 mpg city driving. On the highway I have never got over 25 mpg.
    My car has had transmission change and computer software changes and I believe that has something to do with it.
    I am very disappointed with the MPG seeing I bought this car for economical reasons.
    The dealer just comes up with lame excuses like it's the winter time.
    I've never owned a car that had this problem.
    Toyota needs to do something about this. I don't hear about this problem in other cars.
    Keep up the talk about this and call the 1-800-#####
    Timmish.... 21 to 23 is probably fairly correct for winter time. You need to remember when you read my posts, i'm in ca. going to phx, where even in winter its in the 60'sand never really drops lower than 46 when i make my drive. The only way i achieve high mpg #s are in allo 100% freeway or interstate I10 in my case. Any slowing for traffic...speeding up....etc such as you do going to work will def. affect ur mpg. Look how much my mpg can vary do to wind...almost 8 to 10 mpg. So you will do better when it warms up, and i guarantee if your car was on the interstate at a steady 65 you'd hit 35mpg.

Chuck, you wont hit over 25 mpg till it warms up....but if you went straight interstate.... cruise at 65 for 200 plus miles...you'd hit 30.mpg...
    I hit 33.1 in my wifes Sienna (v6) 3.3 litre at 65mph. I think your v6 has the higher horsepower a-la- Siennas new v6. It has something like 260 horses..mine (06) is 205, but since you have a car and not a heavy van, you should be able to match my mpg.
    Good luck to you both.
    p.s.
    I always go about 2 psi over max in my tires, i use synthetic oil, and have a K&N air filter in both my Sienna and Camry.
    s
    Timmish.... 21 to 23 is probably fairly correct for winter time. You need to remember when you read my posts, i'm in ca. going to phx, where even in winter its in the 60'sand never really drops lower than 46 when i make my drive. The only way i achieve high mpg #s are in allo 100% freeway or interstate I10 in my case. Any slowing for traffic...speeding up....etc such as you do going to work will def. affect ur mpg. Look how much my mpg can vary do to wind...almost 8 to 10 mpg. So you will do better when it warms up, and i guarantee if your car was on the interstate at a steady 65 you'd hit 35mpg.

Chuck, you wont hit over 25 mpg till it warms up....but if you went straight interstate.... cruise at 65 for 200 plus miles...you'd hit 30.mpg...
    I hit 33.1 in my wifes Sienna (v6) 3.3 litre at 65mph. I think your v6 has the higher horsepower a-la- Siennas new v6. It has something like 260 horses..mine (06) is 205, but since you have a car and not a heavy van, you should be able to match my mpg.
    Good luck to you both.
    p.s.
    I always go about 2 psi over max in my tires, i use synthetic oil, and have a K&N air filter in both my Sienna and Camry.
    s
  • satxsatx Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Camry (v6 w/auto trans) new in Feb 07. It has about 15,000 on it now. I use synthetic oil and "Shell" regular gas. My average in town mileage is 21/22. Highway (Texas interstate) mileage hangs close to 28MPG. Best ever was 29MPG, but my wife says I'd get better mileage if I stayed below 80 MPH and didn't accelerate so fast while passing other vehicles doing 70.

I've had none of problems with my Camry that I read about & absolutely love the performance, even though the comfort level is way below the 02 Sennia XLE I gave to my daughter.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some personally directed posts have been removed which also necessitated removing some otherwise acceptable responses.

This discussion is for reporting the miles per gallon the members are achieving. If you do not believe what someone has posted, that is your prerogative. But just because you do not see similar results to what has been posted does not mean what has been posted is not truthful.

We are not here to continue to imply that others are not being honest in their postings. If that happens to be your belief, may I recommend you look for a discussion that suits your interests better than this one.