Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu MPG-Real World Numbers

14567810»

Comments

• dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    last 3 tanks by top off method were 33.8, 32.5, 32.6.
    Range per DIC after fill for last 3 fills: 559, 569, 549
    EPA combined rating: 26
    There are 5 mile stretches on the interstate at 38 or higher most trips into Indy.
    Nice to go past 400 miles on a tank and it reads just under a 1/4 and the range is still 130. With plenty of city driving included.
    hit 632 today. 16 gal tank
    the diesel vw probably has a bigger tank than 16g. 3.9/3.43
    I estimate that the highest rated gas powered car sold in the US that gets 42 mpg hwy is only getting 12% higher mpgs than my Malibu. My 4 vehicles get 17, 21.5, 22, and 35 on my work commute. How someone could be getting close to the 22 of the Astro (the Astro tops the Riv and the 4x4) with a 2.4L Malibu is puzzling to me. Maybe 6th gear not kicking in plus bad wheel alignment, a clogged air filter, and 15 psi in the tires?
  • malexbumalexbu Member Posts: 169
    How someone could be getting close to the 22 .. with a 2.4L Malibu. Maybe 6th gear not kicking in plus bad wheel alignment, a clogged air filter, and 15 psi... ?

I am getting under 22 MPG with my four-month-old 2012 LS. Consistently. No complains: my average speed between the fillups is about 25 MPH. A very short commute and an incredible number of traffic lights. Last weekend made a 40-mile's trip on a higway: 34 MPG per DIC, which, I know, is amazingly accurate. So, I am not unhappy with the fuel economy of this car, even though "around 22" is what I usually see on my MPG display.
    I reset the avg mpg readout from my DIC and let my wife drive the same trip I typically take. She got 24 mpg where I get 36 mpg. I di it again after mentioning we were getting 12 mpg different on same loop. Then she got 26 next time. I asked my son how she manages that as I get 30 just from my house to the on ramp of the interstate. He said she is constantly pushing the throttle up and down on the interstate and does not know how to drive at a steady speed. I mentioned to her that she is getting 10 mpg less than me and the next time I zeroed out the DIC it came back with her getting 28.4 mpg. She has still only closed 1/3 of the gap between mine and hers mpgs on the same loop. The loop is 40 miles with 30 miles on the interstate in a 50 mph zone. They let you do 60 without bothering you. But 28.4 is a lot better than 24. So I guess 22 could be managed. That's just 8 less than I get in town starting with a cold engine.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to interview anyone who recently considered or bought a new Chevy Malibu. Please email PR@edmunds.com before Friday, September 14, 2012 if you are willing to share your thoughts on the car.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• templar1templar1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 LT Malibu 4cyl. I have noticed that it is very sensitive to tire pressure and over acceleration. More so than any other car that I have owned. On a 23 mile one way commute I have averaged 25.6 mpg. Of course not all of that is highway but at least 18 of it is on the Freeway.
    On trip of 462 miles each way, I got 38.6 going there without any a/c and with original air filter with 33k miles on car and filter. Then I changed filter in NC and drove back in warmer weather requiring a/c use most of way. Got 38.5 mpg on return trip. After seeing used air filter, I will change it at 25k next time. I am suprised that a/c doesn't use any more gas than having windows down 2 inches. Range on DIC read 678 miles at end of return trip when I filled the tank. Realistic range is 635 miles, which is from Indy to southern Georgia or to Philly. The Sonata and Camry hybrids are rated at 35 hwy, which is 10% less than my non-hybrid gave me. I drive 70 mph on interstates.