Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Gas Mileage Reports

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited August 2014 in Mazda

Comments

• thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I get about 27 mpg on avearage with plenty of high-revving driving and the top down (naturally)
  • jeffwingojeffwingo Member Posts: 5
    I get 26 mpg...that is combination driving and with the top down...on the highway with the top up, it gets 30...it might do better with the hardtop on this winter.
  • cykcyk Member Posts: 1
    2004 Mazdaspeed MX5.........14k miles and have averaged about 22mpg in mostly highway driving. A bit disappointed considering the tiny motor, but I admittedly hang out near redline a lot.

Just a sidenote, but I'll be installing a new ecu to boost the turbo a bit and also adding an exhaust so we'll see what that does to for economy.
  • ftexftex Member Posts: 1
    This is the only car I've ever owned that has outperformed it's sticker numbers. It's rated 20/26 and my exact mileage is 30.93023 MPG in mixed driving. I estimate that's about 4000 miles of city/freeway driving, and the balance in highway miles on the high plains and mountains. At 4000 feet and higher, the mileage bumps up to about 35mpg. Mostly top-up, air on.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I just returned from a 300 mile (each way) trip to Cape Cod: 60-75 mph, 35 psi, 87 octane ($2.90/gal), top down, very little traffic or stops. I got 34.8 mpg and about the same on return trip. I rarely get under 30mpg but then I don't beat it up either.
  • ggg7ggg7 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 SE Mazda Miata's engine light blinks on after 90 miles of freeway driving. It stays on for about 100 miles and then blinks off for about 90 miles. I have taken it to the dealership 3 xs and they have not been able to solve the problem. lst they suggested tune up with new spark plugs and wires, 2nd time new catalytic converter A(still under warranty thank goodness) 3rd time they just don't know. Before the engine light comes on it pauses and there is no acceleration for approximately 5 seconds (like you are floating in space.) on the freeway. The engine light comes on and the car drives normally however the engine light stays on for another 90 miles (most of the time). Any one can help with information it would be greatly appreciated as I am on a bit of a budget. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    i have a 2000 miata ls no cruise have never got less than 26 in city driving 30 open road
  • nilesboynilesboy Member Posts: 10
    Thinking of buying a Miata with automatic transmission. Want to find a 2004, 2005 that has warranty remaining.
    Can the Miata use Regular gasoline (87 octaine)?
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Past the 00 model year, Mazda recommends the use of premium fuel. The newer cars can run on 87 but not as well.
  • fchathamfchatham Member Posts: 1
    I am having the identical problem on the identical model. I haven't even checked it out, but would like to know if you have had any luck figuring it out.
  • mgiannonemgiannone Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has responded to your message since I have the same problem and I would like some answers as well! I appreciate your help.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Doesn't look like anyone here has an answer, but you can try asking in the "Check Engine" light discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• v8miatav8miata Member Posts: 1
    I just drove from Florida to TN and averaged about 80mph and got 29.5MPG
  • hawkinsrhawkinsr Member Posts: 1
    I also had problems with my 2001 Mazda Miata SE's engine light. Took it to the dealer and they did a diagnoses and it said there was an emission problem which they couldn't find. But then I told them to look for any recalls on this Mazda because I knew it had a fog light problem. Low and behold it had a recall (Nov 2005) on it's PCM, the main computer for the car. Replaced for free and no more engine light problem. They replace all the PCM's because of emission problems on cold engine start ups. Hope this helps and I hope you are still out there reading this message.
  • pipefitterpipefitter Member Posts: 27
    After my first fuel fill up on my 2006 GT Auto Trans, I'm getting 23.5 MPG with mainly city driving.
  • landmamlandmam Member Posts: 1
    I'm only getting 23 mpg in town. Haven't turned over 5000 miles on my new 2006
  • harold7harold7 Member Posts: 2
    From the dealer home from purchase 38 miles per gal. country driving level. After 8000 miles and checking very close I average 29-30 around town and 35-38 country driving and 35 on interstate 95 level rd.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Just under 26 best I have seen with 2,500 miles (without any Interstate driving to speak of) on the car. But I am not yet diligent about shifting all the way to 6th beyond say 45 MPH - so I reap what I sow. Also, higher RPM shifting becomes addictive with this car, so now I am taking my meds to help improve gas mileage :)
  • meshmesh Member Posts: 20
    At just over 3k miles, my Nordic green '06 gets 25-27 in mixed driving, and only about 25 on the 75 mph highways we have in MT.
  • ungsungs Member Posts: 2
    I avg 30-32 mpg back and forth to work and around town.
  • lateral1lateral1 Member Posts: 2
    2006 MX-5, 3000 miles, mixed driving, upshift typically between 3000 to 4000 RPM: 25 to 27 MPG.
  • tauyeungtauyeung Member Posts: 12
    City mileage computed from relatively short trips (5 miles).
    Summer: 27 MPG city, 34-36 MPG highway
    Winter: 22 MPG city, 27-29 MPG highway

Mods and effects:

Lowered suspension: this should improve gas mileage just a little bit

Cone-type intake: less restriction, should help a little

Custom (cannot be bought!) cat back: less restriction, should help a bit

Racing radiator and motor oil cooler: helps in the summer by extracting heat more efficiently, hurts in the winter (for short trips) because it takes longer to warm up
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    27-28 mpg. Doesn't seem to vary much, city or highway, winter or summer. Mostly mixed driving, city/suburbs.
  • es71es71 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a Miata but the dealer advised me against it if I planned to use it year round, (live in Michigan). Have you had any problems with winter driving?
    I have a '93 and will not disagree.

It makes a great 2nd car, IMO. Can you get a winter beater, such as an old Subaru or something? Those would complement each other nicely.

You can get snow tires, but I still don't want other overconfident drivers in heavier SUVs bumping in to my tiny little Miata.
  • es71es71 Member Posts: 2
    thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Just a bit of wishful thinking on my part. I was trying to be a bit less practical for once.
  • techtooltechtool Member Posts: 6
    Just got 31 mpg on a 350 mile drive up into the mountains north of Phoenix (07 Grand Touring manual). It was a hot day, with the top down and a/c on most of the time. Lots of steep grades and some 80 mph runs. I get 23-25 normally in Phoenix driving. Not too much stop and go, but lots of zoom-zoom. Car is still low miles, so it's probably not fully broken in yet.
  • wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    I've got just over 2000 miles on mine and I'm continually getting 28 to 31mpg unless I'm really hard on it (don't do much stop and go city driving)so what is considered break in mileage ? will my MPG go down ?
  • picopeakpicopeak Member Posts: 1
    Just returned from a trip to Florida and back from Albany, NY. Mileage in my 6 spd 2000 Miata, only 30K miles, ran from 31.2 to 33.8 mpg. Speed was typically 70-75 mph. Drive car all year long; trip taken on 4 whl snows. Regular fuel only. Year round commuting with my 17 mile commute each way is 27-30 mpg with the lowest in winter with longer warm ups.
    That's pretty good. Better than the mileage I get in my 116hp 1993 model.
  • marshalljaymarshalljay Member Posts: 9
    You have to be kidding - my 2000 with the 5-speed was virtually undriveable with only frost on the pavement. The rear end would break free every time I shifted into 2nd and 3rd; not to mention the lack of ground clearance and the state of our Iowa roads in winter.

Will have to wait until next winter to see how my 08 does, but would be greatly surprised if it was any better.

as to mileage - my 2000 with 45k on it could get from 23 to 33 mpg, depending on how hard I pushed it. Any reports in on the new model?
  • jzehazjzehaz Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000. With the all season tires my car would go sideways if I got the car to move at all. However, with four blizzak snow tires on my extra set of 14" rims I am able to chew through up to 4.5" of snow. The four snow tires make an unbelieveable difference.
    well, have already put two tankfulls thru my 08 PRHT. btw, have the 6-speed, and while I commute, I commute 15 miles, of which 7-8 is freeway.

first tank was 26.5mpg, second was 30!

however, got suspicious - checked tire pressure (obviously no one at the dealership did) - they were running at 45 psi!!!

dropped em down to 36 (still likely too much) - will see what that does. hitting the road tonite, so will have another 500 freeway miles on it by this time tomorrow.
    Check the door jambs for the recommended tire pressure.

On my 93 it's only 26psi IIRC. I run 28. Any more and the ride gets harsh.

I'm sure it's different for yours, but it would be on the door jamb.
    heck ateixeira, I broke down and rtfm. Manual says 29. Maybe I'm too used to the buckboard ride of my 2000 LS - at 35 pounds my new PRHT rides (comparitively) like a Crown Vic.

as for mileage - next tankfull at lowered tire pressure was 32mpg. Virtually all freeway, but hovering from 65 to 80mph. About 100 miles top down, the other 175 top up. Can't complain about that.

Tho high speed does seem to matter. Just might have driven the last 50 miles home between 90 and 110; already down a quarter on the gas gage. Ouch.
    I want to trade my 93 up for an 06, but you're making me want a PRHT.
  • windingrdwindingrd Member Posts: 2
    I was interested to read the post that their car was delivered with 45 lbs air pressure. Mine was delivered last week with pressures ranging from 43 lbs to 49 lbs. In my opinion the handling was squirrelly and very harsh. When I adjusted to 29lbs on all tires, handling and ride improved dramatically. When I complained to the dealership, they that the dealership they traded for the car must have done it and I have a tire pressure monitoring system anyway (I believe it only monitors low pressure, not high pressure).

I have not refueled yet but will post the mileage when I do on my 2008 GT manual transmission.
  • dbhmgbdbhmgb Member Posts: 1
    My '07 gets between 28 to 33 MPG. I use it every day and as the price of gas has gone up I've been driving it more gently - and even around town I'm getting 30+/- . I still make time to play, though!
  • wdukewduke Member Posts: 17
    Just returned from a road trip, 12 Gal. tank and travelled 350 miles with gas to spare 1/8th tank. That was with the 6 speed auto, only 1300 miles on new car and it was driven in mountainous conditions. I would guess based on this that I would get 400 mile range on a tankful in fairly flat driving conditions.
  • investingdadinvestingdad Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with FlyinMiata intake, manual boost controller, and downpipe resulting in about 190-195 HP to the wheels (NOT the engine output). When I drive this car, I do so with the intention of wringing it out at redline on almost every shift. I have 23K miles on it. I usually get about 19 mpg. That's about 95% country road driving and what I'd expect for the thrashing I give it.

The one stint of highway driving I did this summer got me in the upper 20s. Bah, what's the fun in that?
  • dugldugl Member Posts: 10
    I doubt my 2008 will do much better than the low 20 mpg. One the highway, the gearing causes the engine to rev at 4,000 rpm and highway speeds....while my old Elantra lumbered along at about 2,000 rpm (5 speed). The Miata is not a gas miser with 4.10 gearing
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    1st tank was 24 mpg and 2nd tank 28 mpg on my new 08 6 speed GT. City driving mostly and more highway on the 2nd tank. Pretty good for a green engine.
    Hasn't varied much for me.

This is mostly commuting from suburb to city and back.
    I'm thinking your mileage is more real world. I drive highway alot and at 70 mph, my 2008 is taching at about 3500 rpm, which is getting into the chainsaw rpm range, while typical miserly commuter cars are running 1,000 rpms less at the same speeds. Add a convertible top (wind scoop) to that, and the mileage goes down even more. In 6th gear, as soon as I release the accelerator, my MX-5 decellerates rapidly.....there is no "coasting" downhill....however, there is no downshifting going uphill either. I stay around 65 mph @ 3,200 rpms.
    I must make a correction to my previous post. I had switched to 93 octane fuel last week and thought my mileage was going to be bad, but I did the math this morning when I filled-up and I'm getting 33 mpg with a combination of city & highway driving.
  • mikeozmikeoz Member Posts: 3
    30. Period. All the time. Pedal to the metal. Top down, AC on, radio blasting. Regular gas. Mostly highway--70 to 90mph, back and forth to work 20 miles each way, every day. One person, 220 pounds.
    1992 5 speed-no mods.

Less than 29, I'd suspect a problem...
    That's all highway, though.

I had a 93 and in my mostly city commute got mid-high 20s, which is still good.

My new 08 is getting 27-28mpg, maybe even a touch better than my 93. Not bad.
  • spencer08spencer08 Member Posts: 1
    My new 2008 Miata MX-5 Sport PHdT (5-speed manual) averaged 31.9 mpg first 1775 miles in/around town.

Next 5905 miles on a long vacation, overall gas mileage was 35.6 mpg, with highs of over 41 on two consecutive tankfuls in the mountains of Colorado, and lows of 32.5 over two consecutive tanks at 70/75 mph heading home through the desert.
    (All mileages carefully measured/calculated by a certified math nerd.)

I think it would take evil intent and/or devious planning to get less than 30 mph with this car.
    Not really, I have an all-city commute, and rarely get out on highways. My mileage is more like 27-28mpg.

A lot depends on where you drive, DC traffic stinks.
  • yackeeyackee Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 softtop with automatic transmission got 28mpg in town and 34-38 on the highway. I decided to purchase a 2008 PRHT with an automatic and feared what the mileage might be since the 2007 was so unbelievable. The new 2008 gets 29MPG in town and 36-40 on the highway on two trips of 2,500 and 3,500 miles. Unbelievable, I love this car. And yes, I fill it to the top and do know how to divide. Ohio to Colorado and Colorado to Oregon and back to Colorado.
This discussion has been closed.