Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• duff333duff333 Member Posts: 41
    My last 2 fillups have been 36.0 and 36.7 covering a total of about 900 miles. It's been a higher percentage of highway than my normal driving plus I always get 1-2 more mpg in the summer but still not bad. I now have over 2200 miles on the car and all is well.

Mark
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    I'm getting between 26-30 mpg on my first tank. I was at 29 mpg after three quarters of the first tank. I think this is pretty good considering I was in traffic at the beach over the 4th of July weekend. I do seem to notice that the fuel burns faster in the city or in traffic because I got down to the beach with no trouble at all and barely used any gas until traffic.

slaterac.
  • ecm56ecm56 Member Posts: 16
    I took a drive from VA to SC, mostly on I-95 in my 2005 Mazda 3i manual trans - got about 37 MPG both ways - averaging about 70 MPH. A fair amount of speeding up/slowing down due to traffic so not optimal for fuel economy. I'm getting a bit over 30 in a mix of suburban stop and go and a bit of rural - that's with A/C running. Coming up on 10,000 miles on it. Very happy with the fuel economy (and getting happier each time gas prices go up).

Eric
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    The 2.0L MT seems to be a really sweet MPG performer. :)
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Finally filled up my new 3i Touring (manual).. Averaged 26.2mpg in about 95% city driving. Not bad considering I have been cranking the A/C and have been driving through horrible rain here over the past few weeks. In addition, I am not exactly a light foot with the gas (although I have tried to take it a little easy through the break-in period).

After the engine is broken-in I would expect to get close to the EPA standard (28 city). This is a dream compared to the 15-17mpg I was averaging in my Tribute (4WD) in mostly city driving.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I'm dragging down the average I'm sure, but I can explain. I am a fast and somewhat agressive driver. I drive on a 7-lane interstate each way to work and very few people other than myself seem to understand the concept of 'slower traffic keep right'. Never mind that they're doing 55 in a 65 zone in the left lane and have a line of 20 cars bumper-to-bumper behind them. I hate passing on the right, but sometimes have no choice if I want to get around them. That happens several times each way on average. Downshifting and flooring it isn't that good for fuel economy.

I'd also say I average 75-80 mph most of the time, too. A lot of Atlanta commutters drive at those speeds. They don't call I-285 the Atlanta Autobahn for nothing. Fuel economy figures are much better down at 60 mph or so.

I've been average within .5 of 27mpg for the last two tanks. That's also with the A/C running constantly. In the winter I was getting as high as 29mpg.
    Nice to hear some honesty with regards to driving habits :) I think we have similar driving styles... That said, you still get good gas mileage overall.
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    I got 27.9 mpg on my first tank of gas and that was driving to the beach on fourth of july weekend. I think that's pretty good.

slaterac.
  • msp1986msp1986 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Mazda 3i Automatic. I drive all city and are getting 22-23mpg.....not to far off the 26 on the sticker!
  • johnnykludejohnnyklude Member Posts: 4
    Really helped me- just wanted to share

Ok so ive pretty much heard all the common sense as well as lousy gas saving tips. but this one was really interesting, and it answered pretty much all my questions.

i like it alot! so just sharing the 'green'.

what do you guys think?

[URL=http://www.cargens.com]http://www.cargens.com[/URL]
    Nice article. Don't think that many folks can even come close to doubling their MPG by reading it, but there are some great tips in there. I am already following most of them.

I think the biggest issue I have with MPG is the unrealistic EPA testing standards. Sticking a vehicle on a dynamometer and running it at a constant speed of 48mph with little to no wind, no stop and go traffic, no air conditioning and not taking in to account that many highways are 65mph (and most folks drive at least 70mph) is not realistic. The EPA has proposed new testing that is supposed to simulate "real world" driving conditions. They expect the new testing to alter most vehicles EPA numbers by 15-20%. I agree with the author of this article though. Depending on what type of vehicle you drive, and where you live, it is more like 30%..

Living in a congested (stop and go), hot and humid area where I run my A/C constantly I am happy to get within 10-15% of the EPA numbers. The bottom line is that most folks are simply not going to get the EPA numbers no matter how hard they try..
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I could not agree with you more on the EPA thing. All it does is set people up to be mad at the manufacturer for "claiming" mileage they don't have a hope of attaining. :mad: They can't get those proposed changes implemented fast enough!

It is a good article - lots of useful tips. Thanks, johnnyklude!
  • chiefjojochiefjojo Member Posts: 39
    The crazy thing about the 3s version is the incredibly wide range of mpg numbers you see just on this thread... from 17 to 35 mpg for the same vehicle is oustounding to me. The 3i seems to be solidly reliable in terms of good mileage (over 30 mpg). I have a 4Runner and have been considering a 3s-hatch MT for a while now to replace it, but I've been disappointed with the prospect of only a slight mpg improvement for a 4 cyl compact car versus a l000 lb heavier 6 cyl SUV. :surprise:
    I think the wide range has a lot to do with driving habits.. The 3s is a blast to drive and when you have the A/C cranking and are zoom, zooming from red light to red light it would be very hard to get even close to the EPA city numbers. If all you do is drive your car in very short, stop and go trips, your MPG will be nothing close to the 3s owner who is driving a solid mix of highway and city.

You also have to account for the fact that it takes time for a vehicle to be broken-in. Some folks claim they get 20mpg city in a 3s, but once they hit 5K miles or more they get more like 23-25mpg city. I also think owning a manual helps as well ( I own a 3i). I am averaging very close to the EPA numbers and my car has less than 500 miles on it. While I don't baby it too much I can also optimize the shift points vs an automatic.
    I pulled some stats regarding the ridiculous EPA testing standards. No wonder folks do not get the EPA numbers (especially city):
    dc_driver, "Mazda3: Problems & Solutions" #3526, 14 Jul 2006 4:15 am

Enjoy :)
    I read the article and postings here and am a bit perplexed. I've had 5 vehicles in the past 15 yrs and everyone of them was right on the mark overall, slightly better than the EPA numbers on highway and slightly lower on city.. I'm not a slow poke but then I don't jack rabbit either. Not to criticize anyone, but I really believe alot of people just don't drive "economically correct" and don't even realize it then complain they can't hit the EPA ratings.

The big point in the article I agreed with was to not hit the brakes on the highway but use on/off the gas pedal to keep a smooth speed going. Most people don't do it and it kills your highway mileage.

Did find it hard to believe the EPA ratings are "30%" too high - -that means a 3I manual should only get 20/25 instead of 28/35.
    I totally agree with you, and I am usually within 3mpg of the EPA as well, but like you, I pay attention to my driving and the maintenance of my car. I think that 30% number is drastic but that there are a number of people who:
    - Do little to no highway driving
    - Jack rabbit from stop light to stop light
    - Brake at the last minute
    - Have their A/C constantly blowing at max temps
    - Make a lot of short (under 5mile trips)
    - Have their tires improperly inflated
    - Have not changed their oil and air filter regularly

then wonder why they are averaging well below the EPA numbers. For my last four cars, I almost always hit the EPA highway numbers (within 1-2mpg) but can average anywhere from 3-5mpg under the city MPG. The reality is, I live in a congested area, drive somewhat spirited, run the A/C, and make a lot of short trips... I am not surprised that I average 26-27mpg (about 90% city driving) in my 3i manual... If I owned a 3s it would be closer to 22-24mpg. If I owned a Honda Civic I would probably average about 27-29mpg...
    DC -- if you live in DC(guessing) then getting 27-28 is absolutely excellent. I live in Baltimore area so you may be familar in that the traffic is no picnic here either.

Think the wholw idea in getting good gas mileage is to be smooth - anticipate red lights or slow downs, etc. But some can or don't won't to sdo it. I tell my girlfriend, for instance, to let off the gas when she sees the light ahead turn red but she tells me it's too much effort "to be thinking all the time"....then complains when her mileage suffers!

I also drive lots of rentals for work and always (90-95% highway in most cases) exceed the highway EPA for that style car even at 75-80 mph.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I think that you have pretty well summarized many people's MPG problems (not all, some just have bad, congested commutes). I notice too much brakelight action on cars in front of me. Of course, if they left enough space ahead to just take their foot off the gas and let it coast down to lower speed, then they would risk someone cutting in front of them- can't let that happen. I saw a guy recently who would apply his brakes while going uphill when he encountered a curve.

Filled the tank on my 3S today: 407.0 miles and 11.0 gallons.
  • roar02ramroar02ram Member Posts: 12
    My first couple of tanks w/my 2.3 manual hatch have been 25-27 mpg. The car's located in Los Angeles, where highways don't exist for all practical purposes (just TRY to use the cruise control at a normal hour...). Given the air conditioner's been running a good amount, I think that's pretty good.
  • jimwwhitejimwwhite Member Posts: 16
    OK, I'm thinking about getting the 2007 I3 w/AT. I'm replacing my '94 Volvo 850 with 342K miles on it. I get 30 mpg on it and I need more because I drive 120 miles roundtrip each day. The commute is at least 95% interstate with virtually no traffic when I go. I lock in at 65 mph from the time I hit the interstate until I get off and drive 2 miles to my office. I don't hot foot it or do a lot of passing, etc. I'm in the South so A/C will be on for six months of the year at least for the PM commute back home. What can I realistically expect for mpg on an I3 w/AT? Anyone out there doing something similar?
  • mscafmscaf Member Posts: 5
    Hey all i posted when i first bought my car (m3 gt w/man trans)...my first few tanks averaged 27.7mpg (according to the mpg computer).
    Now that the car is broken in i am driving it a bit harder and i'm averaging (again according to the mpg computer)-for the life of the car..28.7 mpg. Not too shabby i think, considering my mix is about 70%city. My ave MPH according to the computer is 29mph...so i think thats pretty darn acceptable. :) As for epa, i've always tended to get at least 2mpg better than the ratings..maybe i'm a slow poke? The only car i couldn't finnesse into better mpg's than the epa was my dads toyota sequoia (what a beast).
  • jaesee75edmundjaesee75edmund Member Posts: 39
    05 m3, auto. mix of city and hw. average 20-23, with moderately heavy foot. a little disappointed bc most v6 mid-size cars average about the same mpg, what was the point of me buying a 4 cylinder? otherwise, love the way the car handles.
  • modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    From the mileage you are getting I assume you have the 2.3L and not the 2.0. Autos never get the mileage you want them too. And as you said you have a moderately heavy foot (read very heavy foot). From your info you are in New York, from this I read your city miles to be very stop and go. I would never expect to get anything near EPA from that description.

As for why you got a 4 banger, you answered your own question
    love the way the car handles
    How many V-6 mid sized sedan can handle anywhere near what you 3 does.
    Modock nailed it. I have a 3i Touring (manual) and am averaging between 26-29mpg because of traffic, and the fact that I drive about 90-95% city driving. I have owned many cars, and typically find that I can get very close to the EPA mileage on the highway (within 2mpg), but am usually 3-5mpg below the EPA estimates for city driving...
  • aetiusaetius Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys.

I have the 2.3L 2006 Mazda3 Sport GT(hatch) with the 5AT. Will complete 3 months on the 11th of this month and now have 2900kms on the odometer. Driving is almost 95% city driving with the long highway trip coming every other weekend.

Up until 2000kms, I was getting 12.6 L/100kms. But recently, with a couple of long highway trips, it's now at 11.5 L/100kms. My style of driving is also mixed. Weekdays going to work is usually a LOT of stop and go traffic where I sit back. Weekends, I love to zoom-zoom.

Is my car MPG doing what it should be doing?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Is my car MPG doing what it should be doing?

You may want to aim for an average of under 10L/100Km. That translates to approximately 25 mpg US. That is what Consumer Reports has rated the car and I have found that CR is realistic in their estimates. Also, expect mileage in the winter to be approximately 10% to 20% off this target, especially in a cold climate. For a comparison of your car against the Audi3, Dodge Caliber and Saab 92X (aka Subaru Impreza) see the latest issue of CR.
  • blizzard2blizzard2 Member Posts: 1
    I have Mazda3 2.3L hatch manual and will complete 1 year next month. I used to be getting 24 mpg in city driving. Of late I am getting around 26 mpg. If I drive it with no hard acceleration I get 27 to 29 mpg. I drive around 20 miles every day and I noticed from my trip computer that if I drive less than a mile I get around 22 mpg. If I drive longer I get more mpg. Perhaps that could explain why there are so much variations in the mpg.
    I noticed from my trip computer that if I drive less than a mile I get around 22 mpg. If I drive longer I get more mpg. Perhaps that could explain why there are so much variations in the mpg.

True. As has been noted everywhere, short trips are very difficult on engines. The engine warms up to operating temperature and then is shut down as it's reaching its most efficient level or even worse it never reaches that point because the trip is so short. Highway cruising is obviously the reverse of this and that's the reason we get such great mileage.
    The EPA city tests assume that you are driving at least 7 miles with the A/C off with minor stop and go and zero to little wind.

Reality for me is that I often take 2-4 mile trips with the A/C on in stop and go :)
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Filled up the Mazda3 for the first time since it became the go to school car for my daughter. School is 5 miles from home - plus this tank was also used for many other short in town trips. I think this would be the first time in a long time that NO highway driving was involved for a whole tank of gas.

The result - 196.2 miles / 11.1 gallons = 17.7 MPG.

I was getting a little over 20 MPG when it was used as the family car. Those duties are now handled by an Acura TL with a 3.5L 258 HP V6. Also filled it up this weekend and got 22.25 MPG.

I expected a drop in MPG - after all it was all city driving - but am a little surprised that we are getting better MPG in the TL (all 4 tanks so far have been 22 or better) compared to what we use to get with the 4 banger Mazda.

The TL is rated 20/29 - so we are only getting 2 MPG more than the EPA city rating - no big deal.

This is really normal for us - all other vehicles we have owned over the years - have gotten just over the EPA city rating in our overall combined driving - all except the Mazda3 that is.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Are you driving in heavy, stop and go city traffic or is it just city driving with lights and stop signs but not a lot of prolonged idling?
    Hondas make among the best engines in the marketplace; the new Accord hybrid is a welcome sign for the future of high performance engines. In comparison, Mazda engines seem far less efficient. In my opinion, it is no longer sufficient to generate high output engines without engineering them to be true performers, that is high output and high efficiency.

I would give the Mazda3 a few more tankfuls before deciding on its fuel efficiency average. It seems from your posting that the city/highway ratio is 100/0, is that right?

What would you say the city/highway ratio is for the TL?

Are both cars using manual or automatic transmissions ?

Are you driving the Mazda3 or your daughter? Driving style can affect fuel efficiency, especially when comparing a sixteen and sixty year old. ;)
    The Mazda3 has 24K+ miles - its a 2004 2.3L with the 4 speed auto.

Most of these miles were what I would call city stop and go - drive a block - stop at a ed light - drive a block stop at a red light.

My 16 year old drives very slow - she is not the lead foot type. I know I DON'T know 100% what she does when I am not around - but while teaching her to drive - and also riding with her all summer long - I had to tell her at least 100 times - SPEED UP - its a 35 MPH zone (most people drive 45) she would be doing 30 MPH!

I am not 50 yet - and although I drive under control -almost never get passed -

The thing that sticks out - and the reason I posted it - is the TL replaced the Mazda3 for our daily driver - used for the same trips - same traffic - same weather. All summer long we got around 20 with it - now we are getting better MPG out of the Acura TL - plus the AC blows ice cubes. Just a guess - but city / highway would be 65% city 35% highway. Only took one small (200 miles) highway trip with the TL - and got 32 MPG - best the Mazda3 ever got was 29.
    Don't quite know what to say, z71bill. I have been reading about your bad experience with the Mazda3 for a long time now. If I had your experience, I'd probably have sold the Mazda by now. I wonder how much having an automatic may have to do with it? And stop-and-go doesn't help either. But you are living in another world than I am. For my Mazda3S MT, 2004 with 33K miles, the most recent fillup was 438.4 miles and 12.0 gallons. And, as I think you are aware, that wasn't much different than the typical mileage I enjoy. Your gas tank doesn't have a leak? Clutch fully engaged? Brakes not dragging?
    Actually things are not that bad - most of the problems have been fixed - I lost track of how many trips to the dealer it took - maybe 16 or 17 (over 2 years) I was at 12 dealer visits in the first 12 months. The weak AC is still an issue - but even that has improved some.

Looked at new cars this summer - considered trading the Mazda3 in on a Civic coupe - could not find one in the color we wanted - plus the EX with nav was rare in any color - and we thought that our daughter should get a year of driving in before we get her a new car.

She is only driving about 100 miles a week - so the MPG is really not a big issue. By the time she graduates the Mazda3 should have a little over 30K miles - and still have 6 months of warranty left - will be a good time to trade it off.

Maybe a 2008 Mazda3! I wonder if they will have all the bugs worked out by then?
  • bradford1bradford1 Member Posts: 7
    Some summer tank fills with Mazda 3 2.0 manual to 6,000 miles. Lower figures reflect local driving with air conditioner on. 35.21, 34.5, 32.76, 34.5, 35.9, 33.71, 32.8, 31.59, 27.83, 31.87, 31.62.
    We do share the weak A/C issue. Mine has also improved some.... from non-existent to adequate at max. settings in moderate conditions. But living at 7500' elevation in Colo., A/C is not important. We had the heat on in our house today (which does not have A/C).

Glad to know you have found some "peace". The next car we will be shopping for is a new SUV.
    yes, it was all city driving, only a few miles each way, with the ac blasting. temps were really high for those few weeks. i have had better mileage lately commuting further with a mix of 50-/50 city/ hw. about 24 mpg. and,i do have a moderately heavy foot. read: moderately heavy foot. which means i use at most 3/4 throttle, occasionally, when the traffic clears. but, that's not very often in nyc. i'd feel like a yoyo if i were to floor it and then slam on the brakes every block.
    I now have 1200+ miles on my 3i Touring (manual, purchased in late June), and I just got 28.5mpg in mostly (90-95%) city driving. This is with running the AC on all the time, and taking many short trips in stop and go traffic. I was previously averaging about 16mpg-18mpg in a 05 Mazda Tribute (V6+AWD), and 19-21mpg in an 02 Nissan Altima SE (V6).

Very happy. Pretty sure I can achieve 30mpg once it is broken-in..
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Member Posts: 58
    Mine is 5 speed hatch, with only 17200 miles. I run Mobil 1 changing it every 4K or so. I was getting 27-28 mpg until recently. With the increase in gas prices we decided to drive more conservatively and have gotten 31-32 mpg in mixed driving over the last 6 fill ups. The car is still fun to drive with a little less zoom zoom and now the game is to try and drive as smoothly as practicable. I also believe the engine may have only recently become fully broken in. I am generally pleased with the balance of fun and economy.
    that's it, i can't get any better mileage than this. just drove a week, first half was all hw-70 mph. second half was to the city with moderate traffic-not the usual stop and go. no ac usage either. i didn't even rev the engine past 3000 rpms while accelerating. got nearly 25 mpg over the 250 miles. i guess i can go back to my old habits if all i'm gonna save is 3 mpg trying to drive like a grandpa.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    since you have the trip computer could you do me a favor? would you do a 5-10 mile stint at 65 with ac. i have a new job that is 62miles one way(yipes) but it's only 5 days out of a 20 day work month.
    i'm going to lease, the gas is my reponsiblity, so i want the best hwy mileage i can get and try try to get something that is a hoot to drive getting to that speed (you are not a cop are you??)

thanks for any help you can give me. but for others that have the trip computer maybe we can post our own test for 45, 55, 65, 70 and 75 mph and associated mileage.
    and a city run, stop and go.

i also find consumer reports to be the most accurate of any site, since they also give, city, hwy, 150mile trip and overall to address most situations EPA is a 30 year old joke. but i can't seem to find CR eval for a 2.3 manual which i will buy (seems to have a slick shifter, unlike the mustang--cramp city.)
  • everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    '04 hatch 4spd ATX bot Dec 11 '03. Only around 13,000 miles on her now.
    Last 3 tanks average is 24.86mpg on 51%H/49%City. EPA #'s for 51H/49C would equate to 26.31 mpg based on 29H/24C. So I'm only 5.51% lower than EPA suggests. Very nice weather. A/C not on for more than 10 min over the 3 tanks. Not bad considering my city driving is very stop go with signs or lights my first 10 blocks. The bulk of my highway driving is single lane at 50-60mph (deer and wildlife) for frequently only 5 mi one way...on occasion 18mi one way. By the time I hit the highway going out engine is warm from putting through town.
    Return highway trip engine is stone cold after sitting 4-5 hours so not particularly fuel efficient the first few miles of return trip I would think.
    The nice number above will be drastically lower though when cold weather sets in.
    My last all highway trip (200mi) was 29.4mpg at 60-65 mph.
    Anyway...haven't posted here for a long time...used to be chronic mpg complainer but mpg is slowly getting better.
    Maybe because I drive so little it's taking even longer than normal to break in.
    everfeb
  • slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    Just FYI - I've got a trip computer in my GT and it's consistently 1-1.5mpg lower than my actual mpg as measured by miles traveled and fuel dispensed. I wouldn't trust any readings from it, especially for short 5-10 mile stints.
    '04 hatch 4spd ATX ... average is 24.86 mpg

Sounds like you are right on the money. An average of 25 mpg is what :
    - Consumer Reports tested for the Mazda3 hatchback with ATX (automatic transmission);
    - my Mazda Protege5 (predecessor to the Mazda 3) hatchback with ATX is getting.
  • everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    Can your computer show you the mpg you are (supposedly) getting when you drive 40mph, 50mph, 60mph, etc.?
    At a steady 40mpH would it show you are getting 40mpG
    At 50mpH would it show you are getting 35mpG. At 80mpH-22mpG.
    Just curious if the computer can do this type of thing?
    I'd like to know what kind of mpG the computer says one would get at 40mpH compared to say 80mpH.
    everfeb
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    only have about 750 miles on the car so far. Three tank fulls 29,26,28 so far. At this point i am one happy camper with the mpgs. And as far as the computer goes...it says im averaging like 26mpg. I use the miles divided by gallons to figure out those numbers.
  • mkuchytmkuchyt Member Posts: 6
    After about 900 miles, I'm seeing 22.3 MPG by both the on board computer and also by calculating manually at my last fill up. I'm a lead foot and do about 80% city driving, with a very short daily commute. Ironically, this is about the same that I saw on the 98 V6 5 speed Firebird that I just traded in.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    :( I have a 2004 Mazda3 Hatchback, auto shift -- build date October 2003. City mpg has varied from 13-14 and highway 17-19 mpg. Six visits to dealer has gotten no satisfaction whatsoever. Any suggestions? Any others with this problem, especially with this build date. Thanks.