Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• hawrehawre Member Posts: 4
    I, recently, drove 351.1 miles (all freeway driving) on 6.331 gallons of gas. I filled up my car at the beginning of the trip and filled it up again at 351.1 miles. Apparently, I had used 6.331 gallons of gas. This will give me about 55 MPG. I am a little skeptical about this, but it appears that I could get 50+ MPGs driving on the freeway. Of course, I am going to repeat this a few times to make sure I am not deceiving myself. Is it possible to get 50+ MPG in Mazda3 HB?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The thing is, any two pumps can "click-off" at different points of the tank being full, in fact, even the same pump can "click-off" at different times due to the position and angle in the filler neck and the speed of the fuel delivery. At issue here is "how full is the tank?" It has been shown in various studies that there can be well over a gallon difference between one "click-off" even and the next, and if you happened to fill high before your trip, and then fill low when you topped-off, then your MPG numbers are heavily skewed to the high side.

Let's say for the sake of argument that you were a gallon lower when you topped-off (not at all unreasonable), and that you really needed 7.331 gallons to bring your tank up to the same level as when you started. Reworking the math shows that your car delivered about 48 mpg, which is still good mileage, and maybe still a tad on the high side.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kodiak14kodiak14 Member Posts: 1
    I just did this today and it does work--something that should be added is that before step 0, make sure your radio is on before you turn the car off, then step 1. hold the keys down WHILE the car is off. Then Step 6 is the "Info" button on your dash in the 06 model.

Anyways--I did this to my 06, 2.3 liter automatic hatch today and it says that my average is 23.4 mpg, which is atrocious if you ask me. I also averaged 26.5 mpg on a road trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff last week. Then again, I do live in the hottest place in the country (Arizona), but it would be nice for my gas mileage to be a little higher. It's even this low during the winter, when I often don't use AC or heat.

Are there any other Sonoran desert natives who have this same issue? Or is it my driving habits? I love my 3, but the step down in fuel economy from the Corolla I had before (often high 30s into the 40s on a road trip) is a little disappointing.

From other discussions & nice folks, here's the a way to unlock the trip computer built into your Mazda3 06 or 07 models--- & it's free !!!

0. Turn on radio.
    1. Press and hold down CD and AM/FM buttons
    2. Start your car while still pressing down on those buttons
    3. The display will read, "DIS ON" which means Driver Information System On.
    4. Release the CD and AM/FM buttons
    5. Turn off and restart the car
    6. Now press the Set button and cycle through your avg. mpg, miles until empty, current mpg!

Now you can truly know your Real MPG numbers!

* digg
    * delicious
    * stumbleupon
    * netscape
    * addthis
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    repeat this a few times to make sure I am not deceiving myself

Good idea. A suggestion: next time record the mileage at which you are doing the fill up. That becomes your start mileage. From that point on, record the mileage and the amount of gasoline several (e.g. 10) times over the next weeks/months. At the tenth fillup, subtract the final mileage from the start mileage and then divide this by the amount of gasoline. The key is to get an average over several months otherwise you are just deceiving yourself.

Alternatively, read Consumer Reports as they do testing that I have found to be reliable.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    Just one comment, coasting the car in neutral may actually use more gas than leaving the car in 5th and coasting (though you may not keep your speed this way). The computer actually shuts the fuel off when you do this, while in neutral it doesn't. By the trip computer mine used 0 l/hkm (sorry metric up here) when coasting in 5th and up to 3.9 l/hkm in neutral. Just thought I'd let you know to see if it helps at all (though it may not depends on the coasting I guess). I do find there is a big difference between 62.5 mph and 75 to 80 mph in my car, seems to drop about 40-50 miles out of my cruising range.
    Scott
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Interesting. The thing is, in my part of Texas, by coasting down hill I mean very slight grade. I don't think it would maintain speed if I let off the throttle in most places. But I will definitely experiment and report back if I notice any difference. Thanks for the info.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Thanks for posting this information! It gets posted periodically on most Mazda3 forums, but quickly gets buried in the archives and newbies don't see it.

Being a CPA, I love being able to monitor fuel economy on a regular basis...and I love getting useful things for FREE even more! The "Driver Information System (DIS)", as Mazda calls it, is probably my favorite feature of my '06 s Touring 5-door. Had I paid for the Grand Touring model (which has the DIS standard), it probably wouldn't seem nearly at cool to me. Discovering that it was hidden there all along for the first year I owned the car, then learning how to activate it was just the coolest thing to me!

I've taught more than one other Mazda3 driver how to do the same, often right at the gas pump. I even scored a date once that way! lol
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • stringcattstringcatt Member Posts: 3
    Yeah I drive like a granpa too. With 375 miles on my 08, assuming the tank is 14.7 that's < 25mpg. Wish I'd keep my 93 Ford ranger, that's what it was getting, oh well Mazda Sucks.
  • percussionistpercussionist Member Posts: 204
    With 375 miles on my 08, assuming the tank is 14.7 that's

But how much gas did actually use? You didn't drive the car 375 miles and then it ran out of gas, did it? If you stopped to fill up the tank before it went empty (as in completely empty, not gas gauge "empty") then you probably put in about 12.5 gallons, which means your mileage is closer to 30mpg.

Just a math correction, even if you had gone 375 miles and used 14.7 gallons of gas, that's still over 25mpg. It would be about 25.51mpg.

I'm sorry you don't like your Mazda, though. I didn't get one because when I was car shopping last time I was thinking sedan, and the trunk opening in the 3 is too small to be of any practical use. If I had been looking for a wagon, I would definitely have bought the 3 (and I may next time I need a car). Good luck increasing your mileage - hopefully it will improve as it breaks in!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    What transmission do you have and what type of driving conditions do you encounter. My Mazdaspeed3 gets 22-25 mpg(based on manual calculations for each tank) in a mix of rural and suburban driving.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• chattonchatton Member Posts: 2
    2008.5 sport touring 4-door automatic = 25 MPG combined, 90% daily commute of 40 miles.
  • peddler3peddler3 Member Posts: 10
    I don't have a mazda 3 yet. Im going to wait for the 09 model. But I was wondering after doing this procedure are you able to toggle out of the DIS to use other functions? Does having it activated interupt with other functions? And finally, is there a way of de-activating it?
    Thanks
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Unfortunately, the DIS unlock trick for lower trim levels doesn't work on 2007 and later models.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • duff333duff333 Member Posts: 41
    I just passed 30K miles. Hand calculations show I've averaged 34.6 MPG for the life of the car - probably 50/50 highway/city mix. In the summer I can get up to 40 MPG on road trips doing the speed limit but mostly around 38 mpg. In the winter it's more like 33-35.

Haven't had any problems with the car. My only complaint is the reduction in power with the A/C on (and no FOB button for the trunk)).

Overall, very happy.
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    Wife and I went small car shopping to see what her optons were. The window stickers on the Mazda 3 Auto Touring only showed about30 mpg highway. This is terrible for such a small car. Civic is 36, Corolla 35 etc.....However Consumer reports says they got 40 mpg ?????? What is more typical in actual daily driving? The car we might replace gets 29 to 31 and has a V6. We like the Mazda but why get a 3 when there is almost no fuel savings over getting a 4 cylinder Mazda 6?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Most people average 30mpg in the Mazda3i, and get around 35mpg highway. As CR has said, they observed the same overall fuel economy as the Civic when tested in similar conditions. Companies like Honda and Toyota engineer their engines to produce really good EPA numbers. By that, I mean low torque output, and peak horsepower reached at a high RPM (VTEC is known to do that), and a tall high gear ratio. This makes their cars get good mpg, or estimates, when cruising. However, if you really put those cars to the test and see what they are made of, their mpg goes waaaay down.

Since Mazda engineers their cars more or less towards performance, their EPA estimates are understated. If you are just cruising, you will see that your mileage exceeds the EPA estimates, and when you really get on the car and really drive it, you get what the EPA says it will get. Since Mazda's are marketed towards people who really want to see what their car is made of, they engineer then that way, and the EPA estimate will follow that type of driving habit. If you baby it, you will far exceed the EPA estimate. The majority of Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla owners are not ones who look for driving excitement. Mazda owners do. Does that make sense? Ask the many Mazda3 i owners, they will tell you the same story.

I have a 05 Mazda6 2.3L and I get 32 highway.
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    Which engine are you looking at? The 2.3L or the 2.0L? One reasons the Civic and Corolla get better MPGs is that the Mazda engines are more powerful. The base 2.0L generates more horsepower and torque than the base engines in the Civic and Corolla.

I drive a 2006 Mazda 3i, 5-speed manual. My overall average is 30 mpg (about 50/50 city/highway). On highway cruises, flat ground, going about 75mph I easily average 35-36 mpg. If I slow down to 60-65 mph, my (unlocked) trip computer shows my instantaneous mileage to be about 40mpg.

However, driving style strongly affects mpg performance, and this car is fun to drive - can't really say that about the Corolla. My lowest mpg after a fill-up was 26, and that included a lot of spirited driving.
    Yes, it is a depressing story.

The Mazda3 and many other small cars are nowhere close to where they should be in terms of fuel economy. There are some exceptions (e.g. Honda Fit) but for the most part the fuel efficiency of cars has not improved substanitally in the last decade.

Since the use of an automakers numbers for fuel ratings is problematic many consumers go to independent sources like Consumer Reports. So how does CR* rate the overall (highway+city) fuel economy of the Mazda3 s grand touring hatchback? Answer: 25 mpg. Yes, you are reading the numbers in the correct order 25.

I drive a 2002 Mazda Protege (the predecessor of the Mazda3). What is the CR rating for my car? The exact same 25 mpg. Nearly seven years later and no significant improvement in overall fuel economy. Now, the Mazda3 has a bigger engine and weighs more, so what do we expect? What does that say about us consumers and automakers? Fuel economy is nowhere close to being a significant factor in the design of automobiles. With gas prices as high as they are there may be a change coming. But that is not self-evident as new cars (like the new Mazda6) seem to continue to gain weight and have bigger engines. Will the new Mazda3 have a larger engine and be heavier than the current model? Seems likely. Or, will Mazda change course and produce a vehicle that is spirited because it used innovative engineering and shed unnecessary weight? We can hope.

*Source: Consumer Reports April 2008
    Well, I am going to disagree with you. The Mazda Protege on 2002 had a 2.0L with 130hp and rated (by today's EPA estimates) 22city-28hwy. Mazda now has a 2.0L with 148hp rated at 22city-31hwy. Both with a 4 speed automatic. The 2.3L has 156hp and rated 22city-28hwy.

While you decided to just look at the FE, you forget to mention that the 2.0L has 18hp more and the 2.3L has 26hp more, while maintaining the same fuel economy. You cannot say they are not more efficient. Now, remember, both these MZR engines were new engines in 2003!!! The price of gas in 2003 was $1.63/gal!

Now, Mazda uses the new MZR 2.5L (09 Mazda6) which is rates at 21city-30hwy and has 170hp, which is on par with every other mfgr in the world.

The 2010 Mazda3 is due out in February, and the 2.5L will replace the 2.3L, and they are upgrading the 2.0L to be more economical.
    I agree with you that the engines have become larger (and in most cases the vehicles have become heavier) but I disagree that the fuel efficiency has been improved. The fact that a Mazda3 hatchback has a bigger engine but delivers the same 25 mpg that my six year old Protege5 is what I lament.

This is not only the responsibility of the manufacturer but also ours. As consumers we should get the message out to auto manufacturers that a bigger, heavier box with more hp but without more mpg is not an improvement.

The writing has been on the wall for several years. As we all know, various auto manufacturers have proposed hybrids, diesels, biofuel, electric, hydrogen-based and other solutions. Mazda has jumped on the bandwagon but frankly I have not heard a coherent message about improved fuel economy for their North American market. For example, Mazda Canada has brought the Mazda3 hatchback with the 2.0 L engine (available in Europe) which seems like a sensible interim step. But what we are really looking for is the innovative step that realizes the demand for a car that is truly fuel efficient. Think 50 mpg for the commuter vehicle as the baseline.
    There is no car right now that gets an average of 50mpg. The technology is just not out yet to get that.
    Are you referring to 50 mpg combined, or 50 mpg highway? I ask because it is apparently quite easy to attain 50 mpg (without even hypermiling) in the new 2009 Jetta TDI.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I am referring to 50 mpg combined. Outlandish? Not really. The Toyota Prius comes closest so far at 44 mpg, the Honda Civic Hybrid is at 37 and even the mid-size Toyota Camry Hybrid is at 34. The newest-Prius fighter from Honda will be interesting. So, an automaker who wants to raise the bar with their next vehicle should be aiming for 50. GM has the right idea with the Volt; the only question is can GM deliver. After all the gas price horror stories, why would manufacturers think that their newest models should offer a larger engine and not better fuel economy?

My point again is that auto manufacturers that keep on pumping up the HP without improving fuel economy will face the music. Has Mazda been listening?

Lighter, more fuel efficient, more innovative ... zoom zoom
    Besides the Prius, nothing even comes close! The Civic Hybrid is 13mpg away from a 50mpg average. Really, unless it's a hybrid, you cannot come remotely close to 50mpg average. Not even the Jetta TDI. So you as saying Mazda is behind the ball on hybrid production.

Mazda has been listening, they are introducing their new start-stop idling engine technology starting with 2009 models. They already have a working plug-in hybrid that uses a lithium ion battery, however, unless the cost of the batteries come down, they will not mass produce it. (Something GM is having a problem with in their Volt.). Their new 2.5L I4 is on par with every other mfgrs mid sized 4 cyl. They are also revising the MZR 2.0L to be more powerful and fuel efficient. They also have the world's first production application of a catalyst combustion (MZR-CD) treatment process that enhances the removal of particulate matter from the exhaust gasses via a diesel particulate filter. It produces 184hp and 285 ft-lbs of torque and gets a remarkable 42mpg.

You keep ignoring the fact that their 4 cyl engines were designed 6 years ago. They have their new engines coming out. They already have out the 2.5L, and are introducing the new 2.2L MZR-CD in Europe, which is also a clean burning diesel, and a revised 2.0L. Outside of a gas-electric hybrid, they offer everything else, with the exception of the Tribute HEV (hybrid) which is really a Ford.
    Besides the Prius, nothing even comes close! The Civic Hybrid is 13mpg away from a 50mpg average. Really, unless it's a hybrid, you cannot come remotely close to 50mpg average. Not even the Jetta TDI. So you as saying Mazda is behind the ball on hybrid production.

I assume you're quoting EPA numbers and not real world numbers. FWIW, even the EPA has acknowledged that their new test does not reflect the real-world mileage capabilities of Diesel cars. If you go over to any of the sites that are popular with the Diesel crowd, you'll see that there are in fact many-many folks that average over 50 mpg in mixed driving.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I have read that people can get around 50 hwy. I don't think I have seen anyone getting an average of 50mpg.

I really hope Mazda decides to bring over their 2.2L MZR-CD. For me personally, I would not buy a VW. I understand they have a reputation of building good diesels, however, it's the rest of the car that worries me!
    I really hope Mazda decides to bring over their 2.2L MZR-CD.
    I agree.

I would not buy a VW
    Consumer Reports rates the current Rabbit superior to the Mazda3. I think consumers may want to give VW another try.

I stand by my earlier statement about fuel economy that "Mazda has jumped on the bandwagon but frankly I have not heard a coherent message about improved fuel economy for their North American market." It's one thing to have protoype vehicles on a test track, it's another thing to have them available as options in the consumer market. It's painful to read European auto magazines that show the wide array of models (like the Mazda2 or the Mazda diesels) that are unavailable in North America. I find it difficult to understand in the current environment how auto manufacturers can think that big boxes (like Mazda's CX9) are the future even in North America. These heavy behemoths obviously offer the potential for increased profit, but only if someone buys them.
    The 2010 Mazda3 is due out in February, and the 2.5L will replace the 2.3L, and they are upgrading the 2.0L to be more economical.

Interesting. Any additional information?
    Anything official? Unfortunately not. However, when I get my hands on it, I will fill you in!
    The Paris auto show (coming in two weeks) will be interesting as Mazda shows off some promising future directions including the new Kiyora and 1.6 and 2.2 diesel engines:

"Kiyora helped the designers to imagine a city car cutting cleanly through an urban landscape, with water as the design theme. Equipped with Mazda&#146;s next generation 4 cylinder direct injection engine and featuring the company&#146;s unique Smart Idle Stop System, the car achieves excellent fuel economy and low CO2 emissions ... an all-new platform designed to maximize weight reduction "
    Source: Mazda global site

At the same show, Honda will launch its Prius-fighter, an entry level hybrid. The Honda CR-Z hybrid looks pretty amazing too but will be coming in a future show.
    I'm very intrigued about the new Honda Prius, I mean Insight. LOL. The darn thing looks like a Prius.
    The darn thing looks like a Prius.

And that's a good thing? :confuse:
  • heybroderheybroder Member Posts: 78
    Decision: Should I wait until Feb or should I get a good deal on the '08 or '09 Mazda3?! I love the looks of the Mazda6! With the upgrade of engines, i.e., more power and better fuel economy, and better looks...wow But new is new. My Dealer told me today that I could get a great deal on current 3s. He said that they would accept the S-Plan. They may not do that with the new '10 Mazda3s. But I hear that the quality of the '09s are awesome as the '08s were great! tyvm :shades:
    Should I wait ... or should I get a good deal
    Define a good deal and you'll have half the answer.
    I'd be happy with the S-Plan :shades:
  • stringcattstringcatt Member Posts: 3
    1987 Honda Civic, 52 MPG, 2200 LBS from the factory.
    1987 Honda Civic, 52 MPG, 2200 LBS from the factory

I did not know that! What was your source? Is the information online?
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
    The 87 Honda Civic with the 1.3L engine was rated at 31city-39hwy gets an average of 52mpg, which is nearly 20mpg OVER the outdated estimates???? I highly doubt it.

I had a 1991 Accord with the 2.2L that was rated at 19city-26hwy and I never got the EPA estimates.
  • acdacd Member Posts: 11
    After several tanks of in town driving at around 27 mpg, my 2007 Mazda 3i 5 speed manual sedan came in at 34 mpg on a tank refill of 10.35 gallons and 359.1 miles. The first 100 miles of that tank were in town driving. The rest was split between 70 and 60 mph highway driving (with out air conditioning most of the time). After 2 years and almost 28K miles, I still love driving my Mazda! :)
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    According to the EPA, the 39/31 numbers are the 2008 updated estimates. The 1.3 manual had EPA estimates at the time of 43/37.

Maybe it was the 87 Civic Coupe 1.5 HF which had the old estimates of 57/52. I don't remember the Civic having that high of a mpg. That must have been the CRX to get that high.
    "They are also revisingthe MZR 2.0L to be more powerful and fuel efficient." Hi aviboy. I would assume that this engine is going to be the base for the up coming 2010 Mazda3. I have also heard that the new Mazda3 may come out in Jan. instead of Feb. I wonder if it will be possible to order a 2010 Mazda3 before it comes out onto the showroom floors? take care and thanks again, Pam and Randy :shades:
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    ...and along with that - will the '10 hatch require the bigger engine like current gen?
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    Played economiser for first 1,000 miles on my new MS3. Got 30.3 MPG from onboard cmputer.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Got 30.3 MPG from onboard computer.

Ever since I bought my MS3 I've been tracking it's fuel economy and comparing it to the OBC calculation. I've found that the true mileage averages @95% of the OBC number; if my OBC shows 28 mpg the actual mpg will be around 26.5.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. I am purchasing a new Mazda 3 5-door and have a few questions. I really want the factory installed navigation in my car so does anyone know how it works? I know the graphics may be a little outdated but as long as it works effectively, that's what I want. Secondly, I was thinking about purchasing a cold air intake to give my car more power but how will it affect my gas mileage. I mean am I gonna sacrifice 2mpg or more? And the third issue I had was I was thinking about putting the spoiler from the Masdaspeed 3 on my Mazda 3. But my friend says that will also affect my gas mileage a little. Cmon! I mean how much heavier is the other spoiler. And lastly, should I get it in black or metroplolitan grey? Both gorgeous colors. Thanks!
  • wackypawnwackypawn Member Posts: 2
    I have 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback with 2.3 engine and automatic transmission.
    My commute is urban stop and go but I live very close to work and probably a quarter of the miles are on the highway on weekend trips. It currently has 3500 miles.

I have never and I mean NEVER gotten above 22mpg. Usually it is 20 or 21 mpg sometimes less. The only time I got 22MPG was on out of town round trip which was almost entirely on the highway. I measure the mpg by always filling up the tank at the same gas station and dividing the mileage on the gallons filled. I don't race from traffic light to traffic light and I rarely go above 75mph on the highway.

Somebody has mentioned that it takes time for the engine to 'settle' but I am beginning to get a little frustrated since obviously a lot of Mazda owners are getting much better MPG even right out of the bat.

So what I may be doing wrong? Does it sound like I just got a lemon? Any suggestions or driving tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • gretsch6120gretsch6120 Member Posts: 48
    You have a lead foot but may not think so? hold gears too long? down shift too much? the gas you are using is trash? your car doesn't have sufficient time to warm up during the commute? you are in a hilly area? you have to hit many traffic lights? It's already cold where you are + hills + traffic lights? you brake too hard and have to accelerate more to get up to speed? you have a trunk full of cement? forgot to untie the dead Buck or Boar from your roof rack? Ah! You have a bicycle or kayak roof rack? you drive around with said bicycle, kayak, and dead wilflife on your roof rack through the snow, up hills, stopping at every traffic light and don't realize all four tires are punctured. :P
    Don't forget another factor... ethanol. I'm taking about a 10% hit on mileage in both my vehicles now that ethanol is everywhere. Pretty much everyone I know is seeing this effect. Check the The Inconvenient Truth About Ethanol discussion.