Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Funny thing, I bought my 2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition in November of 2008 when there was still a fair selection of 2008.5 models on the lot. My sales person told me she'd sell me a 2008.5 Mazda3 s Sport for the same price as the 2009 i TVE; I opted for the 2009 and one of the main reasons was the trunk release button. :)
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I have not had any brake problems. Still on the original pads, but again my driving style is pretty tame. I do agree on the trunk release button.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356
    Recently I've been driving my MS3 with considerable restraint- keeping my cruising speed under 80 mph, anticipating traffic, stop lights/signs, and declining most invitations to compete in the Stoplight Grand Prix. On my last tank of Shell V-Power I averaged 28.7 mpg in a 50/50 mix of suburban and interstate driving. That's my personal best; over the past couple of weeks I've been averaging 27-27.5 mpg.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• iaintdeadyetiaintdeadyet Member Posts: 2
    In my case, I go up hills and then go back down, then go back up and go back down.
    21.7MPG.
    Did get 29MPG on interstate driving 65MPH only problem is I can't drive 65 for long, so I get 25MPG going 80.
    Car needs another gear.
  • smoothsailinsmoothsailin Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2011
    2005 Mazda 3i 2.0 L 5-speed manual.
    My car's average based on all tanks since purchase (3/1/05):

83,506.6 miles / 2,159.106 gallons = 38.68 mpg.

Just to show what can be possible with our cars. Best result I've managed to get from one tank (13.589 gallons) was 45.04 mpg and 624.2 miles. Note that it required very conservative driving and the use of hypermiling techniques to achieve that result. Still, at steady speeds in light winds on level ground ~ 55 mph I've seen results as high as 53 mpg.

Most of the miles have been accumulated while commuting between home and office @ 27.5 miles each way. I've found that planning to avoid short trips as much as possible helps a lot. Thankfully, my daily route generally keeps me out of the city, but I still have to pass through quite a few stop signs and stop-light intersections along the way. I also purchased a ScanGauge II a few years ago and paying attention to the displays has helped me learn how to drive more efficiently. Highly recommended device!
  • whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    re "another gear", I put 215/50-17 tires on our Mazda5, and am planning on doing the same to Mazda3. Diameter is 1cm larger, effectively giving a little higher gearing. This isn't for everybody though, because it means the end of being able to use snow chains, and you have to be careful not to speed since the speedometer reads too low. And whatever MPG improvement you get is only visible when you hand-calculate an odometer correction. But if you're geeky enough to understand all that, join me. Other pluses are a little less nose-scraping and wheel-curb-scraping.
    I managed to average 29.7 mpg on my last tank of V-Power; driving conditions were 30% suburban and 70% interstate(70 mph speed limit). Considering that the car weighs over 3000 lbs. and packs 287 bhp, I'm not complaining.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited April 2011
    Yikes! That's extremely good mileage for a Speed3 (and starting to encroach on my 2.0 liter Mazda3 i). Not too shabby.

Side note, there may be yet another change in my daily commute; this time from 14 miles round trip to the local Park-and-Ride, to a 170 mile daily trip (half Interstate, half curvy mountain roads). If this change comes to pass I'll be seriously chomping at the bit for a VW GTD 6-Speed. :)
    The GTD must be a sweet car. I wonder if it will ever make it across the pond...

I'm resisting the temptation to hold my breath. :)
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    Do you drive it downhill or something? I have an 08 manual 3i and my normal mileage is 27-29mpg, with all highway never going above 34. Although I am not sure my car would touch 38 even if I did drive it downhill and had it towed back up...
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Mazda confirmed a diesel in the US within 2 years
  • 59scott59scott Member Posts: 2
    Good details! My car is a 2010 3s GT 5 door, 6m. I bought the car in 09, only started keeping a mpg spreadsheet in March of 10. Over 22,700 miles my average mpg is 31.62. High was 34.4, low 27.5 in Massachusetts February cold. My daily commute is 36 miles each way, mostly highway but I drive around town evenings and weekends. I drive pretty conservatively, 65-70 on the highway but occasionally 80. Avoid accelerating up hills. Last winter I put Hankook Icebear W300s on the car, 205/60 16 inch. Not the ultimate snow tires but good enough where I live and way better than the OEMs. They softened the ride and handling a bit, but not too bad. I love this car.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1466090412711.2065402.1247040125&l=5e46- 45f293

I am enough of a geek, and the car has a trip computer and manual trans, so quite precise measurements of MPG at various speeds and in each gear are possible. This is all measured on the same 15 mile loop of light-traffic interstate highway returning to the same point of origin to cancel out elevation and wind effects. The cruise control is set at each speed for each entire loop so this is much more precise than real-world driving tank-fill records. I've posted last year's results before here, but this time I've added a new point at 4th gear/50mph to replace last year's point which didn't make sense. Also rechecked 5th gear/60 & 70 mph points, and tried 3rd gear at 60 mph. Yes, bad mileage at 4750 rpm.
    I'm still driving my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with quite a bit of restraint and since April it has averaged 27.6 mpg. The lowest tank averaged 24.5 mpg and the highest averaged 30.7 mpg. Not too shabby for a motor making @287 bhp(my car is equipped with the Mazdaspeed CAI).

In July it averaged 26.8 mpg; the worst tank was 23.3 mpg and the best was 29.2 mpg.

Wow! That's pretty darn good for a MazdaSpeed3. :)
    Thanks; I don't hypermile, but I do stick to the speed limit except on interstates- when I might exceed the limit by 10 mph. I also decline most all invitations to participate in the Stop Light Grand Prix... ;) Finally, less than 10% of my driving involves stop-and-go traffic.

• lmcdrmlmcdrm Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    2008.5 Mazda 3 Sport Hatch w/5 speed auto "manumatic" transmission.

I've driven Kuma since new (May, 2008) and have seen:

High Mileage - just about 30 MPG - long highway cruise, limited AC use, cruise control set always just about the speed limit.

Daily driving - mostly "in-town" driving, lots of lights, stop & start and a slightly heavy foot - about 26 MPG average. Sometimes higher in winter (no AC use) and lower in summer (heavy AC use).

LOW Mileage - about 17 to 19 MPG - heavy in town, heavy AC, heavy foot.

Not quite the numbers I'd hoped, but given the way I drive, not bad....
  • ppaasseeiippaasseeii Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    2007 Mazda3 S (2.3L) Hatch 5-speed MT

Fuel economy:

Aggressive driving: city + highway = about 20 mpg

Boston, MA to Providence, RI / pure highway / no AC / windows a bit open / 2 people in the car / cruise set most of the time at about 65mph: 35.8 mpg

Providence, RI to Boston, MA / pure highway / no AC / windows a bit open / 2 people in the car / cruise set most of the time at about 75mph: 33.8 mpg

New K&N air filter and RedLine SI-1 in the tank. I can't tell you if it helped because i just bought the car but i'm sure it did, these numbers look good. Mileage is from from the trip computer, I think they should be realistic or conservative, according to the other comments.
    Yesterday I drove my '10 3s GT 6MT from Butte MT to Othello WA crossing Lost Trail Pass and Lolo Pass, achieving 563 miles on one tank fill-up of 15.75 US Gallons. MPG = 35.8. I've corrected for odometer error observed against mileposts. Factors you may decide are "cheating" -- zero ethanol most likely, it was 85.5 octane high altitude Montana gas. I break the rules and top off the tank, just can't help myself. Plus all 2-lane relatively low speed roads (although I went fast for these roads). The range computer was saying about 10 miles left when I reached the Othello gas station.
    Since you've thrown out the challenge, here goes:

2005 Mazda 3i 2.0 L w/5-speed manual

Average mpg based on all fill ups over 6.5 years:

38.54 mpg = 87,7l7.3 miles / 2,270.756 gallons

Best range on one tank
    (note: my car's tank is only rated to hold 14.5 gallons):

624.2 miles

Calculated tank average was 45.04 mpg (624.2 miles / 13.859 gallons)

:)
    Yes I'm sure you've got me beat fair and square. If I recall my car magazine reading correctly, the 2.0L engine lacks the two balance shafts that are in 2.3L and 2.5L Mazda engines to calm vibration, and I'm pretty sure this added internal friction is a major part of the loss of fuel economy for the larger engine (with its larger fuel tank). I'm also confused why the gear ratios are so short in my 6MT car -- 2400 rpm at 60 mph in 6th. The engine is plenty torquey enough to pull 2000 revs/mile which I think would give another 1 or 2 mpg at highway speeds. I'd be happily willing to use the lower 5 gears for all my "sporty" driving, and have 6th be a lazy gear that required downshifting for hill-climbing and acceleration. Why does Mazda think I bought a 6MT if I don't like shifting gears?
    It will be interesting to see how the new 2012 "sky" engine does. per PR it is a lot more economical. I'm curious to see whether it becomes available and/or totally replaces the 2.5L even in the fancy models -- which I would like.
    edited October 2011
    I did a lot of research before making the decision to purchase my 3i instead of a 3s, and the considerable difference in real-world fuel economy between the 2.0 and 2.3 L engines is what made up my mind.

You're right that my engine lacks the vibration-dampening balance shafts present in the 2.3 L and your car's 2.5 L engine and I agree that additional frictional losses due to the addition of these shafts may be at least partially behind the fuel economy penalty that's paid with the larger engines. I'm also curious to see how the 2012 sky engine will perform, and I'd also like to see Mazda offer a diesel engine in the 3 series down the road.

For now at least I've been very satisfied with my 3i and after owning mine for 6 1/2 year I can honestly say it has been reliable and trouble-free as any car I've owned (which have generally been Toyotas over the last 30 years.)

I also congratulate you on your mpg results with the 2.5 L 3s, for they're superior to what I've seen posted by most owners.

Like you I also wish Mazda would offer a taller top gear in a manual transmisson for the 3 series. My 3i only turns around 100 rpm more in 5th gear at 60 mph vs. the 2.4k rpm you posted for your 6 speed. Contrastingly, my parents have a 2.4 L Toyota Camry with a 5-speed automatic which despite making less hp than your 2.5 L the engine only turns around 1,800 rpm at 60 mph, which allows this larger and heavier car to manage hwy mpg in the mid-thirties along with noticeably quieter operation. Although the 2.0 L in my car is relatively "gutless" as far as torque production under 2k rpm, I still feel it could comfortably pull taller gearing that would allow the engine to turn only 2k rpm at 60 mph. With such taller gearing I wouldn't be surprised if I might be able to manage highway mpg in the high 40 mpg range at conservative cruising speeds of 60 mph or less.
    edited October 2011
    A couple of comments:

I too have suspected a big difference in fuel economy between the 2.0 and the 2.3/2.5 liter "S-Model" engines is the balance shafts. Fortunately 4-Cylinder engines of two liters and less don't typically need balance shafts to operate (relatively) smoothly. I too am glad I opted for the 2.0 liter mill. :)

There was of late a rather heated discussion over in the "Future of the Manual Transmission" thread where I suggested a taller gear for my Mazda3 would be nice. I see I'm not alone in that sentiment.

One of the "Good News" items regarding the new SkyActiv-G engine is that it is also a 2.0 liter model, sans balance shafts.

Mrs. Shipo is going to be in the car market within the next four to six months, and a Mazda3 SkyActiv-G 6-Speed manual is on our short list. I'll keep y'all posted if one of those beasties ends up in our garage.

Mazda has already announced that the new SkyActiv-D diesel engine will make it to the U.S. inside of 2013 and later Mazda3s. I for one cannot wait as my 2009 Mazda3 will get itself traded in almost as soon as the SkyActiv-D 6-Speed manual models become available.
    "There was of late a rather heated discussion over in the "Future of the Manual Transmission" thread where I suggested a taller gear for my Mazda3 would be nice. I see I'm not alone in that sentiment."

I happened upon a post at the beginning of the discussion I referred to earlier if anyone is interested. :)

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef6716a/7694#MSG7694
    even more closely comparable than the Camry 5AT is the Ford Fusion 2.5L 6AT, one of which I rented in Wash DC and drove to upstate NY, last month. This car has exactly the same engine my '10 MZ3s has, and is geared similarly high or even higher, 1600 or 1700 rev/mile if I recall, and in a somewhat larger heaving chassis. Performance was fine, and fuel economy was as good or better than I get in my 3. I suspect that Mazda feels that MT drivers still like to be lazy and get fairly good pickup in the highest gear, even without a downshift. I say, use 5th gear for that if you insist. Automatics kickdown automatically out of such high gears at the drop of a hat, of course.

I too am very curious to see and hear about the "sky" engine version. My own preferences, along with manuals, are to get all the gizmos. My car has leather, sunroof, Bose, steering headlights, memory seat positions, etc. and I like all that stuff very much (well not the steering lights, the experience has been completely underwhelming). Will the fanciest '12 MZ3s come with the sky engine? I hope so.
    Per the Press Release from Mazda earlier this week, it looks like one can (or at least will be able to) opt for a fairly well tarted up Mazda3 i GT with the SkyActiv-G motor; it remains to be seen if you can opt for all of the goodies one can order with the Mazda3 s GT (you know, things like dual-zone climate control and keyless entry/push-button start).

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/mazda3/2012/2012-mazda-3-with-skyactiv-starts-at- -19245.html

Full press release:

Mazda Announces Pricing of 2012 Mazda3 With SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY

- Popular Compact Offers Up to 40 MPG (Highway) and Lower Starting MSRP -

IRVINE, Calif., Oct. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced pricing of its refreshed 2012 Mazda3 compact vehicle, including the first application of the brand's all-new fuel-efficient and performance-oriented SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY. Available as both a sedan and hatchback, Mazda3 commands more than 40 percent of Mazda's year-to-date sales, and is by far the best-selling vehicle in the brand's line-up.

"The Mazda3 is the core of the Mazda line-up and continues to be the standard by which all other compact cars are measured," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO, MNAO. "Because of the importance of this critical vehicle to Mazda sales success, we chose to debut our revolutionary SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY in Mazda3, as well as bring the i SV model to market at a lower starting MSRP than the previous year."

The Mazda3 i SV sedan starts at an impressive $15,200(1) MSRP, which is a price drop from the previous model year. Styling is updated with a revised front fascia and Mazda-distinctive five-point grille opening. Inside, new cloth seats and a bold, black cabin accentuates intuitive controls and panels. Paired with the dependable 148-horsepower MZR 2.0-liter engine, the Mazda3 i SV sedan is the first stop in Mazda's performance-geared, fuel-efficient line of sporty compacts. Moving up to the Mazda3 i Sport, the 2012 model sees the addition of remote keyless entry as standard equipment. The Mazda3 i Sport sedan starts at $16,845 MSRP and is optionally available with the five-speed Sport automatic transmission. Mazda3 i SV and Sport trims are not available on five-door models.

Mazda3 i Touring models swap the MZR engine for the all-new SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter gasoline engine, and is EPA-rated to achieve 40 mpg on the highway. MSRP for the sedan model starts at $18,450. SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is a suite of fun-to-drive and fuel-saving technologies, debuting with a SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter engine that produces 155 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque. The all-new engine offers five percent more horsepower than the standard MZR 2.0-liter engine as well as 10 percent more peak torque, 15 percent more low- to mid-range torque and up to 21 percent better fuel economy. And, unlike competitors in the segment, the SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter engine is available on a host of different trim levels to benefit the most customers possible.

In addition, the hatchback model will be available for the first time in the U.S. with a 2.0-liter engine, priced from $18,950 for the Mazda3 i Touring hatchback with SKYACTIV-G, and boasts an EPA-rated 39 mpg on the highway, which is best-in-class for compact five-doors. All i Touring and Grand Touring models are available with the all-new SKYACTIV-MT six-speed manual transmission or the all-new SKYACTIV-Drive six-speed automatic transmission (an additional $850 MSRP for either sedan or hatchback model).

Building off the Mazda3 i Touring model is the all-new i Grand Touring trim level, also available in both sedan and hatchback body styles. Mazda3 i Grand Touring models provide class-competitive fuel efficiency as well as high-value standard features such as a power moonroof, power driver's seat, leather-trimmed seats, heated front seats, a Bose® Centerpoint® 10-speaker Surround Sound System with AudioPilot® and a full-color navigation system with a multi-information display (MID). Mazda3 i Grand Touring sedan models start at $22,300 MSRP with five-door models starting at $22,800.

Other standard equipment for i Touring and Grand Touring models are an all-new 16-inch aluminum alloy wheel design, a leather-wrapped shift knob and steering wheel as well as a trip computer. A Moonroof & Bose® Audio Package is available for i Touring models ($1,400) while an updated Technology Package featuring rain-sensing windshield wipers, self-leveling bi-xenon headlights, automatic headlights, Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), Sirius satellite radio and a perimeter alarm. A segment-exclusive Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System is available for i Grand Touring models ($1,400).

Available in Touring and Grand Touring trims, Mazda3 s models are equipped with an MZR 2.5-liter engine that boasts 167 horsepower and 168 lb-ft of torque. Starting at $21,300 MSRP for the sedan and $21,800 for the hatchback, new standard features for s models are all-new 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, the Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry & Start System with push-button start, a moonroof, a dual zone automatic climate control system and a Bose® Centerpoint® 10-speaker Surround Sound System with AudioPilot®. Navigation is now standard on all s Grand Touring models.

Equipped with an MZR 2.3-liter Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) engine, the top-of-the-line MAZDASPEED3 has an output of 263 horsepower and 280 lb-ft of torque. The vehicle starts at $24,000 MSRP and is equipped with 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels and a Bose® Centerpoint® 10-speaker Surround Sound System with AudioPilot®. Other standard MAZDASPEED-only treatments include: sport-tuned exhaust, larger front brakes, sport independent front and rear suspension, a limited slip differential with the Mazda Advanced Torque Management System, larger front and rear stabilizer bars, distinctive red and black interior styling with similar-fashioned leather-and-cloth Sport seats, scuff plates, black leather-wrapped shift knob as well as a unique front fascia, fenders and hood.

A MAZDASPEED3 Technology Package is the only packaging option with an MSRP of $2,135, and adds features such as navigation, Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System, Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS), self-leveling bi-xenon headlights, automatic headlights, Sirius satellite radio, a perimeter alarm, rain-sensing windshield wipers and the Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry & Start System with push-button start.

Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States, Canada and Mexico through nearly 900 dealers. Operations in Canada are managed by Mazda Canada, Inc., located in Ontario; and in Mexico by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.

(1) Starting price is manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for lowest trim level. MSRP does not include $795 destination charge (Alaska $840), title, tax
  • zoooooomanzooooooman Member Posts: 1
    What the hell it is!

My2010 mazda3 sport(Manual) can just drive 220miles with one tank. All suburb no highway

Can anyone tells me what's going on?
  • oldburbnewcx9oldburbnewcx9 Member Posts: 53
    All of my cars can drive 220 miles with one tank.

You need to provide additional detail for a meaningful reply!
    if you literally mean driving only 220 miles from completely full to running out of gas, and you don't have a fuel leak or a big dent in the side of the gas tank, you are burning about 16 gallons to do the 220 miles, which means you're getting fewer than 14 miles/gal. That is not possible in a well-running MZ3 unless you are talking constant gridlock traffic, extremely illegal average speeds, and so forth. What driving conditions are you talking about?
  • zagitazzzagitazz Member Posts: 1
    "What the hell it is!

My2010 mazda3 sport(Manual) can just drive 220miles with one tank. All suburb no highway

Can anyone tells me what's going on?"

Based on these numbers you are getting 15 mpg, because it's a 14.5 gallon tank. My guess is that you're providing incorrect numbers.

Fill your tank up all the way and set the trip meter. Then next time you fill up calculate your miles to gallon by dividing the number of miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons to refill the tank. This would be the first thing to do to provide an accurate number.

You should be getting 25 mpg city if you drive like a normal person and do not have any major or obvious problems with the engine. Unless you left the parking brake on that kind of poor gas mileage is very unlikely.
    to have 14.5 gal tank this has to be a 2.0L 3i Sport, not a 2.5L 3s Sport which has 15.9 gal tank.

with a late-model, OBDII-emission-controlled car it is hard to imagine how burning nearly twice as much fuel as normal wouldn't be detected by the ECM computer and turn on the "check engine" light.

are you driving 5000 rpm in 2nd gear lots of the time, or the like??

I'm the guy who did the trip-computer-fuel-economy experiment with Excel spreadsheet data plot a few months back posted here somewhere. I have a 2.5L 6MT not a 2.0L 5MT, but I can tell you highly confidently -- since I did 15 mile constant-speed freeway loops in a location with near zero traffic to get my data -- that the one sure way to turn 34 mpg into 19 mpg is to cruise at 60mph in 3rd gear instead of 6th gear. All the extra fuel is burned up in engine friction at 4700 rpm instead of 2400 rpm. This holds true for all cars not just Mazda3s.
  • jchan66jchan66 Member Posts: 8
    3s has 2.5L engine and it is rated only 20 mpg for city for its 5 speed manual.

I have a 2012 3s AT with 2.5L engine. I usually fill up when low gas indicator comes up with about 12-12.5 gollon. Assuming this guy is getting 220 per 12/12.5, he is getting about 18 mpg. This is not to far away from the rated 20. I am getting about 250 miles per 12/12.5 gollon, roughly 22 mpg right at the mpg rating for city but I am actually doing 50/50 city/highway. I bet I'd get much lower mpg than 22 if I go city only. I am not complaining about my mpg performance since I go up-and-down hills a lot daily.

If CEL is lited, you may have miss fire going on in the engine. If you are all of a sudden getting much lower mpg than before, you'll need to bring in your car for a check.
  • languedoctorlanguedoctor Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2011
    I still don't have a good sense of what kind of mileage I'll get from my 2012 3s HB (m/t). I do a lot of suburban driving (40-60mph) in medium traffic w/ occasional lights. It seems like the best approach is actually to coast as much as possible off throttle (shifting to neutral strikes me as going overboard, and potentially unsafe). 50-60mph on flat terrain in 6th gear is *well* over 30mpg per the trip computer. The trick seems to be to get up to speed briskly (though not insanely), rather than drag things out. I'd like to try it out and see if I can coax 30mpg+ from this engine, but there's one thing that always stops me.

Inevitably (this is FL) there's someone dawdling, or accelerating at a glacial pace. And I know that with just a touch of the go-pedal, I can make that headache disappear in the rearview. And the next thing I know, I'm daydreaming that I'm in a suburban rally . . . until I pull into the Exxon station with 22.1 showing on the avg MPG meter. Again. :shades:
    edited November 2011
    Your experience with the 2.5 is precisely why many of us feel Mazda should drop that motor entirely (or at least make the "s" models available with the new SkyActiv-G engine). Granted the new motor isn't quite as powerful as the 2.5, but the trade-off is that the new engine should return at least eight more miles per gallon for any given driving environment.

FWIW, in mixed driving with no attempt to eek out the last possible MPG, my 2.0 liter 2009 Mazda3 i 5-Speed consistently returns a tad over 30 mpg; I'm betting a SkyActiv 6-Speed (manual) model would return mileage in the high thirties for the same type of driving. Unfortunately Mazda won't let me order a nicely optioned model with the new engine and new manual transmission.
  • languedoctorlanguedoctor Member Posts: 8
    True, but . . . I was smirking in my post (above) because I know I bear a lot of responsibility for the lower mileage...

...but not all. I figured that I needed to get used to the clutch, but after a month, I swear it isn't all me. The throttle response on the 3s is a little bit top-heavy. The car practically invites you to pretend to be a rally driver.

And it really isn't necessary, because the engine is plenty torque-y. No need for gimmicks. $.03
    From 9/1/11-12/31/11 the car averaged 28.2 mpg. Lowest tank was 25.4 mpg. highest was 30.1 mpg. No complaints here... :D

• p928sp928s Member Posts: 4
    I've been pleased with my car's fuel economy. Since new (it now has 108k miles), it's been getting ~30 mpg mixed driving and 32-33 highway. Normal driving - not intentionally taking it easy. I push the trip meter with each fillup and divide miles driven by gallons of gas purchased.
    Not just MPG, though -- I want to know what the transmission gearing is in 6th gear. How many rpm register on the tach at exactly 60 mph? Make sure to mention whether manual or automatic.

For that matter, what are revs/mile for the 5AT 2.5L?

My 6MT 2.5L goes 2400 rpm at 60, 2400 revs/mile, in 6th. And could easily pull a much higher gear ratio on level ground at high speed, are you listening Mazda?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My 6MT 2.5L goes 2400 rpm at 60, 2400 revs/mile

RPM means revolutions per minute as the spin rate of the crank shaft. Not per mile.
    RPM means revolutions per minute as the spin rate of the crank shaft. Not per mile.

True, but at 60 mph the car is travelling at the rate of one mile per minute- so at 60 mph the engines revolutions per minute and its revolutions per mile are the same.

right, I was saying both rev/mile and rpm, meaning two different things that happen to have equal values when you're going exactly 60 mi/hr
    edited February 2012
    Filled up my 2005 3i (2.0L w/5-speed manual) yesterday.

Average for the last tank:

37.91 mpg = 473.2 mi/12.483 gal

Average based on all fill-ups since purchase (3/1/05):

38.58 mpg = 91,751.6 mi/2,378.479 gal

I'm curious how much one of Mazda's Skyactive or diesel engines could improve on these results.

Also wish Mazda would equip the 3 where @ 60 mph the engine would only turn around 1,900-2,000 rpm. Of course I realize the car would be gutless on hills, but I feel the engine should pull it along just fine on level ground...and I'd have no problem with having to downshift when more acceleration may be necessary. With the stock gearing I rarely use 4th gear except when accelerating from a stop.

If my parents' larger & considerably heavier 2007 Camry (2.4L I-4 engine w/5-speed auto) can get by just fine turning ~ 1,800 rpm at 60 mph, then my smaller & lighter 3i s/b able to handle similar gearing.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Average based on all fill-ups since purchase (3/1/05): 38.58 mpg
    Excellent overall mileage, especially for a car that is now 7 years old!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Also wish Mazda would equip the 3 where 60 mph the engine would only turn around 1,900-2,000 rpm.

That's called the Skyactiv. :)
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Can anyone with the SkyActive technology give me any idea what kind of mpg your getting so far? Is it anywhere near the hight 30's, nearly 40mpg the EPA says it gets? I'm just curious as I'm considering this car later this year and the high mpg of the SkyActive is attractive since I'm looking for something that is sporty but gives good mpg!
    edited February 2012
    Interesting.

Except for the addition of Mazda's Skyactive 6-speed manual (which if based on the regular 6-speed only lowers engine speed at 60 mph by ~100 rpm vs. the 5-speed manual used in earlier models including my 3i) I was not aware that the Skyactive package may include final drive gearing that's any taller than what the non-Skyactive 2.5 L engines mated to the 6-speed manual have.

I checked Mazda USA's website but failed to find any final drive information about the cars in the specifications section. I did however note that although the standard 2.0 L and the Skyactive 2.0 L engines share the same overall displacement, the Skyactive engine has a smaller bore, longer stroke and higher compression ratio.

I've yet to read any comments from someone who may have purchased a Mazda 3 with the Skyactive package.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just know that when I drove the Skyactiv 6MT the revs were just a bit over 2000 @ 65 mph, so they were likely 2000 or less @ 60. I haven't driven the 2.5L 6MT so I can't compare the two on RPM @ 60, but this may explain it:

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda3-26/5th-6th-gear-ratios-2010-s-sport-19951- /

So the 2.5L 6MT seems to be at 2000 RPM at only 50 mph. Note that 6th is 0.72 on that car, but only 0.60 on the Skyactiv MT.