Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300/300C: MPG-Real World Numbers

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
This topic is for 300 owners to share and compare their actual MPG.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Comments

• phillyfanphillyfan Member Posts: 11
    getting 14 mpg with 300c awd with a/c running full time in arizona. 1800 miles
  • ballcoachballcoach Member Posts: 7
    I've had my '05 300C around 4 months now, stop and wait Michigan traffic gets me between 16 and 18, depending how much I keep my foot out of the fuel injectors. Expressway mileage has been between 22 and 24. Not the EPA figures, but what is?? Let's face it, we bought the C's because we have the power if we want it. Yeah, maybe the timing was bad with gas jumping over $2.25/gallon, but it has been one fantastic road car. Can't beat it for trips.
  • chirodoc1chirodoc1 Member Posts: 4
    HEY REAL WORLD MPG: My 2005 300C was giving me about 17/18 in non-freeway driving. My commute is about 30 miles on two-lane back roads, never faster than 55 mph. Recently I took the 300C back to the dealer and they installed
    Flash program # 04275086AB / labor operation # 08-19-47-93 {Reprogram Powertrain Control Module}. This a recal to improve Fuel economy for European NA1 emissions. I have noticed that the high MPG {24-27}speed has shifted up to about between 65 & 75 MPH. This may help many of you freeway commuters get better MPG. Ask your service tech if you will benefit from this TSB.
  • lcolelcole Member Posts: 8
    Just took a trip from Hampton, Virginia to Chicago and back. Gas mpg was between 24 to 26.6 at speeds of 65 to 80. Had it at 90 a few times and gauge read 25.4 mpg. The car (2005 300C) really drove nice.
  • tall12tall12 Member Posts: 3
    I don't know how you all are getting that good MPG - mine is a severe letdown. I'm getting 12 MPG in stop and go traffic (its' all I do, > 5 MI. to work) and considering trading this gas guzzling beast in, had my 300C only about 2 months. I don't stomp on the gas pedal any more than the 'average joe' I suppose. Just to pass etc.

As a side note, the key fob is complete shite - stopped working 1 mo. in, unscrewed the small screw holding the parts together, noted that the fob pressboard and parts are coming apart at the seams. New vehicle. Not covered, and they want 300 bucks to replace it. Not a good start. This car is probably going by - by. Hell even a Mercury Marauder (easier to get into and out-of for my 6'4 frame) gets apparently 17 city, and is peppier (lighter) according to reviews.

The steering wheel controls for volume etc. are cracked at the edges, and I barely ever use them - they feel cheap and about-to-break when used. For tall people, the ingress and egress is horrible - which is not readily apparent when you first test drive - but rather reveals itself after many entrances and exits as a true pain in the [non-permissible content removed] - I feel so low to the ground on the driver side that I'm about to kneel, then stand when exiting. Ducking into the car isn't that bad, but my head is damn near behind the pillar making seeing oncoming traffic a pain as well without leaning far forward.

Once seated, the car is of course a joy - but the nagging thought of $ per mile of driving goodness dampens ones' spirits wile driving.

Overall I feel duped, and let down. Probably going with a Marauder pending verification of headroom and actualy 17 MPG city.
  • goofytimlgoofytiml Member Posts: 41
    Tall12... I also am 6'4", but at age 52+ I don't have the issues with getting in and out that you apparently do. Don't have an answer for that, but you could try raising the seat before getting out. Our vehicle has enough head room that I could ride higher if I wanted to. My wife is a foot shorter, so we love having the two memory positions for the seat, pedal and steering positions.

We just purchased our Chrysler-Certified used '05 300C with 14.6k miles about 2 weeks ago. We had rented a loaded Touring 300 in the summer to "decide" if we liked the car... we did! Our used vehicle was in mint condition as far as we can tell. There is no wear or tear on the steering wheel controls.

Are you saying your 300C is NOT peppy? Yes, it's heavy, but the Hemi should move it as if it were something lighter. Is your mileage assessment based on actual calculation or the information center in the dash (not sure I would trust that). Our mileage (info center) hasn't average 17 for the city, but it does appear that it will generally be between 15.5 and 16.5 mpg. We've only put one tank of gas in on our own (87 grade vs. 89), the first tank (however full from the dealer) gave about 15.8, and right now we're sitting at 16.1 at 100 miles or so into "our" tank. This weekend we're going to take our first "trip" to view fall colors in our WV mountains, so we'll get a read on the highway performance and actual mileage calculation. Eventually, we'll try to 89 grade for a while to see if it makes a perceptible difference.

Sorry to hear about your key fob. I think fobs are finicky in general. We've had a Chrysler van for 11 years... my fob quit long ago... the wife's still work just fine.

How do you set your outside mirrors for visibility? I set both outside mirrors wider than most folks. Can't see the side of the car unless I lean close to the window on my side, or over toward the passenger seat on the other. I find this gives me the best combination of coverage overall (less "blind") in combination with the rear-view mirror. It took some getting used to at first... but once you configure this way for a while, I think you might like the greater visual range to either side in passing or lane-change situations.
  • steve290steve290 Member Posts: 25
    I drive 95% highway, 45,000 miles per year. Poor mileage has prevented me from getting a 300C. Living in New England, I would want to purchase an AWD model. From a highway mileage perspective does the 250 HP V6 get any better highway mileage than the 300C with cylinder shutdown? AWD owners, what kind of highway mileage do you get?
    Steve290...

Wow! Don't drive nearly as much as you do... at the height of our high school hauling kids around we regularly hit 20k/year, but life is slowing down now.

This summer we rented a "loaded" 300 Touring with the 3.5L V6. Had plenty of pep and rode like a dream. It was what convinced us of buying the 300 and thinking of the 300C (which we now have). Mileage with the rental (per info center calc.) was 26-28 mpg until we got into Minnesota and decided to try the much, MUCH cheaper E-85 fuel (i.e., about 15 percent ethanol). It was about $1.50 vs. $2.35 for 87 grade. We checked the owners manual before using the fuel, and it said use of alternates (gasahol) was acceptable.

We observed/felt no change in operational performance. No smoke out the back, etc. Acceleration was fine, etc. However, info center calc. of mpg went to 20 or less! By 1/8 into the second tankful of E-85 the engine light came on! That was a bit scary, but since we could detect no engine problem (other than mpg), we decided to start replacing the E-85 with normal gasoline again. Put in quarter tank of premium (engine light remained lit), then a half tank of 89 grade (engine light still lit). Engine light finally went out before getting below half tank the second time. Mileage improved, and on final full tank of 87 grade info center was indicating back in the 26-28 mpg range.

I've detailed our limited mpg experience in our "new-to-us" 300C in a separate post above.
  • tall12tall12 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for responding goofytiml - and for the mirror / seat tips - I'll try that.

Oh she's peppy alright. Plenty of passing power, and then some. But if ever there was a car that makes you pay for even minor goosing of the pedal - this is it. I switched from a Suburban to this vehicle (part of the ingress/egress dilemma I am sure) and the Sub got far better MPG, which is ludicrous.

Looking at a low mileage Marauder, they're rare, clean lines, easy to get in and out of, and pretty equal in performance to the 300C as I understand it. This is going to sound odd, but I never even asked (got the vehicle at carmax) if the vehicle was/is AWD - but apparently it is an option, and I think mine is AWD - that might account for the very low MPG. I didn't ask, because I didn't know - and the 'sheet' they give you (with the sticker) doesn't have the specs. I'll call and inquire - that might make it worth it I suppose. :confuse:

I'm getting 11 or 12, yes according to the digital readout
    Our Town&Country van is AWD, and the impact on mileage (if memory serves) was about 1 mpg less both city and highway. I think it would be the same for the 300C. For the van, the info center mileage ran very close to my own calculations so I quit comparing. However, some of the "stuff" I've read on these forums and elsewhere make me suspicious of whatever the algorithm now is used in this vehicle... so maybe compare your own calculations for a couple tankfulls.

Also, the van with it's higher seating arrangements is more convenient to get in and out, but I don't find the 300C as objectionable as the '97 Subaru Outback which we traded for the 300C. For my long legs, it was much lower and more difficult than the 300C.

If we had stuck with the plan to order a 2006 300C next spring, AWD would have been our choice since our experience with the van has been so good. However, having reviewed the videos regarding the evolution of RWD with ESP and anti-lock brakes, etc., I have far less concerns about drivability this winter than I did before (paritcularly for my wife). No doubt AWD would be even better, but I do think this 300C will handle and drive far better in winter conditions than my favorite high school/college RWD car... the '68 Charger!

Regarding "minor goosing"... Last night I had to make a "quick" trip back to Lowes to retrieve a bag of hardware we had left at the counter. It's about 8 miles one way, half of which is 65 mph freeway. I hit 65 mph before the end of the on-ramp (goosed it a little - ha). The rest is urban 35-40 mph with stop-lights every, or every-other block. I was fortunate to make every light going to the store, but had to stop at every other one on the way back. Made the round trip (including going into the store) in about 35 min. The info center mileage went from 15.8 to 16.1 mpg then dropped back to 16.0 by the time I got back in the garage (remember we're in the first 100 or so miles on our fill of the tank).
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    and pretty equal in performance to the 300C as I understand it.

Drive one and you'll see this isn't the case. The Marauder will feel weaker pretty much all around to the 300C, especially on the bottom end. In city driving, it will also do just as poorly - it's rated at 17/23 and even requires premium gas. It also doesn't have the stability control of the 300. There are a bunch of other reasons the 300 out classes Ford's "Panther" cars, including the solid rear axle...
  • jjtawdcjjtawdc Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that fuel data computer is still active when the car is shut off and the accessories power delay feature is active. So if you shut your car down and are listening to the radio or just sitting there, the fuel data computer is probably calculating 0 MPG. Try it, when the engines off and delayed accessory power is active, sit there and watch the MPG drop on the fuel data display. If your just using the fuel data system to calculate the MPG it may be significantly lower then what it actually is!

By the way I have a 2006 AWD 300C. I get between 14 and 15 MPG in the city (NY) and 20 to 21 MPG highway. Best highway MPG I've seen is 24 MPG.
    jitawdc said "I noticed that fuel data computer is still active when the car is shut off and the accessories power delay feature is active. So if you shut your car down and are listening to the radio or just sitting there, the fuel data computer is probably calculating 0 MPG."

If that's the case, it sure is silly. That doesn't appear to be the way the mileage calculation in my T&C van functions. If the engine if off and gas consumption is impossible, the fuel consumption calc. should remain static/off. Surely it would be an easy thing to "fix" via some EPROM flash update or the like. These vehicles have been out for quite some time now... I'm really surprised that this hasn't been corrected by now... somehow or other.
    Well, we took the 300C for a Fall Foliage road trip within WV this weekend. After about 15 miles of in-city driving after filling the tank, we took out. First 80 mils or so was freeway driving at 70 mph. Thereafter was highway driving at 55, and mountain driving at 35 or less on curvy and/or hairpin cornes, up and down terrain in the 3,200 to 3,500 ft range (the Appalachian are NOT the Rockies). We took one side road (gray) that we thought would connect to a state highway, and wound up outside the boondock security gate of a coal mine and had to turn around and retrace out path for about 5 mile or more. When we finally got gas after 9 hours of travel and 400 miles (+/- 20) the tank took 16.2 gal.

The trip computer had calculated 22.8 mpg. Manual calc. at 380 miles gives 23.5, and at 420 miles would be 25.9. After refill, we had about 100 miles more to home base, 20 at 55 mph and 80 at 65 mph, and the trip computer was showing 24 mpg as we pulled into the garage. So I'm thinking the trip computer is underestimating fuel economy by a significant margin. That's too bad. Someone just posted in the Problems and Solutions forum that they completed an 1800+ miles trip between Ohio and Myrtle Beach, etc., and averaged 28 mpg for the entire trip! Don't know whether that was trip computer or actual calc., but I'm going to keep working on my records!
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    :) I posted the 28.0 MPG. Over a week drove to Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Hilton Head. Did usual drives around town and beaches. Drove around Charleston. Took I77 from Ohio down and I75 back to Ohio. Appalachian and Smoky Mountains along way! Stayed at speed limits and did not haul from lights. Tried to drive very smoothly. Drove most of 1859 miles on cruise control. MPG based on car computer. The four cylinder cutout/in is sometimes obvious, especially if you watch the tach. As the 4 cylinders cut in the tach drops 100 to 200 RPM. Have had other trips of 28.0 and 26.0 MPG over lesser distances. It gets only 16 to 17 MPG around town. At idle the MPG drops. Have never sat with key on and watched MPG.
    Ok, just filled up the tank for this week. First 100 miles was coming home from the trip last week at highway speed (65 mph - see previous post), remaining 206 miles was city driving with a 2.5 mile higway sprint typically going each way to/from town. Trip computer indicated 16.6 mpg. Tank took 16.6 gal of 87 octane... that works out to 18.5 mpg.

Not going to complain about that... our T&C van averages about 15 and change.
  • cerberus300cerberus300 Member Posts: 21
    Managed to get about 25.3MPG(US) or 30.4MPG(Imperial) after a drive from Vancouver to Whistler and back this week (around 151-152 Miles). The fuel guage shows 3/4 of a tank left, but needle was way above full at the start (as is on all cars) so I took the conservative calculation based on 1/3 tank used rather than 1/4. This may mean I've got better MPG than the calculations above, but i'm happy with them. :D
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    Fuel mileage calculations have NOTHING to do with the fuel level indicator. Any mileage calculated that was based on needle position is completely erroneous. Calculate from how much it takes to top off the tank and how far that gas took you.
  • cerberus300cerberus300 Member Posts: 21
    After a journey this weekend from Portland, Oregan to Vancouver, B.C of 324 miles stopping in Seattle for a break and walk about, the needle on fuel guage was resting exactly over 1/4 tank (68 litre tank) so guessed at 51 litres to refill. Pumped in 51.292, so guage is quite accurate allowing for a little fuel in the pipe. This equates to: 23.9 MPG (US gallon) or 28.7 MPG (Imperial gallon). Not too shabby as the car was fully loaded with 5 people and all their luggage.

Can anyone out there clarify which is the Worldwide "Official" MPG calculation, if there is one - US gallon or Imperial gallon?
  • elmartioelmartio Member Posts: 6
    Just thought I'd share my MPG records. I have just over 7,000 miles on my 300C. Overall, I have averaged 15.5 MPG so far. I make a short trip to work, and the area I live in (and San Diego in general) in pretty hilly. This is actual calculated mileage, not based on the trip computer, but I've found the trip computer to be quite accurate. My best trip was 22 MPG. I think I get just about the 25 MPG claimed on the freeway, but that's under perfect, level, 60 MPH conditions. When you get off the highway, the mileage suffers. I think that for most people, in typical urban driving that would include more highway miles that I do and fewer short trips, that averaging 17 MPG would be about right. I'm skeptical of claims of more than 24-25 MPG on trips, as I said I think that 25 is the most you can hope for, and that's under optimum conditions.
  • rooster8rooster8 Member Posts: 12
    I OWN A 2006 300C AND EXPERIENCE GREAT MILEAGE FOR A 4000LB VEHICLE. I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY SO I DON'T HAVE FIGURES FOR CITY DRIVING. DRIVING AROUND THE HILLY STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA AT 55-60MPH I GET 20MPG.ON TRIPS TO THE ADIRONDACK MTS. OF N.Y. I GOT 26MPG.ON THE LAST LONG TRIP TO MICHIGAN ON FLAT FREEWAY I WAS GETTING 26MPG AT 70MPH. WHEN I GOT IN MICHIGAN AND JUMPED TO 75MPH THE MILEAGE DROPPED TO 23MPG.THE COMPUTER CALCULATIONS AND MY CALCULATIONS IN THIS CARE MIRROR EACH OTHER. THAT IS NO JUMP STARTS AND DRIVING LIKE THE OLD MAN THAT I AM (57)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It would be greatly appreciated if you did not use all capital letters when posting. It is difficult to read and appears as though you are SHOUTING.

Thanks for your cooperation!
  • rooster8rooster8 Member Posts: 12
    sorry
  • greyfox1greyfox1 Member Posts: 28
    Took delivery of 2006 300C in May of this year. Did a little calculating after filling the tank today and found that I have averaged 19.1 MPG for 10,303 miles. Included in these miles are a 2600 mile trip to South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana (quite a bit of 75-80 mph cruising), several 200 mile trips locally and a whole lot of town driving (less than 45 mph).

I agree with kevm14 (post #19), if you don't keep track of the quantity of fuel used and the miles driven over a period of time and then calculate MPG the estimates can be quite erroneous.

I think the on-board computer is quite accurate, but you can make the numbers look really good if you reset it when you are driving under those ideal conditions.
  • kpeppardkpeppard Member Posts: 1
    I fail to understand how anyone can compute mpg by looking at their gas gauge. If you have a 300 Touring ( as I do ) the mpg or litres per 100 km are done for you. Using the gas gauge is an exercise in futility. By the way, I've only had my 2006 300 Touring a little over a month and the only trip we've made gave us 9 ltrs per 100 km which equates to about 30 mpg - we love the car. Happy New Year!! :)
  • nicktonickto Member Posts: 8
    Hello All again, though I think I've boared you out with my posts already. Anyway, 1200 miles on the odometer and my 300C still makes my pocket thinner. It averages 12 MPG in city and shows great 25 MPG highway. I do not know what to think. I've been to the service and asked the dealership to specifically look at the terrible city MPG. They have found nothing.

The car is amazing and great. I like it very much but 14-15 MPG average kinda bothers me. I will wait till 3000 miles and then ask another dealership to take a look at it.

BTW, oil and filter changes are free of charge for me because of Master Care Plan I purchased when bought the car. 5 years/60 thousand miles are covered with great benefits right from the start.
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    Keep in mind that mileage may improve slightly with time as the engine breaks in and loosens up.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    We've had the C for a little over a year. It just turned over 15000 miles on a 720 mile trip from western PA to South Carolina today. On today's highway trip, travelling almost always between 70 and 80 MPH, the mileage on the EVIC shows 22.9 MPG. At a slower highway speed of 55-60, it showed about 25 MPG. Around town we are getting about 16 MPG. Those figures are almost exactly what I have been getting using the fill and calculate method. I often have the joy and urge to put my foot into it, too. So I would say DaimlerChrysler gave me the truth about gas mileage on the sticker. :)
  • trulysexypoettrulysexypoet Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2005 300c, new in March of 2006, having just over 400 miles on it. It is virtually loaded with almost every option except Sirius radio, and a DVD player. Initially, I had a problem with the car leading to the right. After 4 alignments, and fine tuning of my alignment, and the discovery that the tread on all 4 tires was half gone after only 7000 miles, it was decided that my Conti tires were defective in materials and workmanship. Continental agreed to reimburse me for ONE tire, only. I replaced all four tires with Goodyear Assurance tires, and my lead off problem is now history. The car handles like a dream, even on the rural roads of Ohio, which tend to be crowned, and uneven. My MPG, prior to solving the lead off problem averaged around 21 combo driving, and 24-25 hiway driving at 60mph, and no air cond. After mounting the Goodyears, my MPG average went to 23.5 combo driving, and 26-27 hiway driving the same roads at 60mph, and no air cond. I then had the Chrysler dealer change my motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, and rear differential gear lube to Amsoil synthetic lubricants. I now have just over 9000 miles on the car, and my combo driving has risen to over 25MPG, and my hiway driving average on the same roads at 60mph, has jumped to over 30MPH. I have used Amsoil lubricants since 1978 in every vehicle that I have owned, along with every vehicle that my 6 children, and their spouses own, with absolutely no problems. I use the 5w-20 motor oil that both Chrysler and Amsoil recommend for this motor, and I change it every 6000 miles, as the Chrysler manual recommends for synthetic motor oils. All synthetics are not the same, just as all paints are not the same. It's whats in the bottle that counts. Check out, and do some research on your own about the Amsoil lubricants. Compare their specs against the specs of other brand name synthetic motor oils. But if you want your vehicle to get the best mileage that it possibly can, do your own homework. As for me, I love my car, and aside from the initial lead off problems, I have nothing but praise for this Chrysler product. It is the 4th Chrysler vehicle that I have owned, the first three being LHS models.
  • giltrdngiltrdn Member Posts: 2
    I presently have a Cadillac DTS and drive 90% of the time in stop and go traffic in the city. I get between 10 & 12mpg with this type of driving in the summer with the A/C running. I'm curious what type of mileage I should expect with the 300C when it's only running on 4 cylinders most of the time. I'm curious if the cylinder shut down makes much difference.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    The worst I've every gotten was 12 mpg (per the dash computer) during an almost 2 hour housing tour with four people onboard through the chic area of town where I never got above 15 - 20 mph and was stopping every 300 ft. or so. Normal in town only driving gives me 16 mpg to maybe 18, depending on traffic.
  • 300c_kid300c_kid Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2006 300C SRT8 and consistenly get 12-13 mpg in city driving and 18-19 on freeway. Not too bad considering 425hp. I had a 2005 Nissan Xterra with 265hp and was lucky to get 14/16 mpg! Plus the SRT8 is a BLAST to drive!
    I have a '06 300C. I keep track of all gas purchases. After 21,400 miles the average MPG IS 19.0. We did a trip in August of this year from southern Wisconsin to Colorado Springs and back. The average for that trip (actual fuel used) was 22.6 MPG. The morning we left I reset the on-board calculation and when we arrived home after 2460 miles the on-board calculation said 22.4 MPG. To those 300 owners out there who doubt the on-board computer calculation, I would have to say it is pretty accurate. More than 50% of my miles are city driving, which gives me between 17-18 MPG. The open road travel, like our summer jaunt, with alot of 75-80 MPH cruising gives between 22-23 MPG and the local short trips on state highways (55 MPH limit) will run 25-27 MPG. Of course the MDS (cylinder shutdown) makes a difference, that is why Chrysler is using it. :)
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Just did a trip from Tulsa to Dallas, 100 miles around Dallas, then the return. Expressway speeds were 70 or 75 (cruise set) primarily with some 45 - 65 areas for construction. A lot of stop and go during rush hour on the Dallas expressways. A/C was on all the time. Average for the whole trip was 25.1 mpg. I'm impressed.....
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The "worldwide Official MPG calcuation" would be liters per 100 kilometers. This is the number of liters of fuel used per 100 kilometers of driving. One hundred kilometers is about 60 miles, so 24 MPG is about 2.5 gallons per 100 kilometers, which is about 9.5 liters per 100 kilometers.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    E-85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline, and is only for engines designed to run on E-85. Most engines are designed to run OK on 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline.
  • ux149ux149 Member Posts: 18
    I've driven my 300C AWD over 21,000 miles and never gotten above 19 mpg - not on trips, not using various brands and grades of gasoline, not with the AC off, not ever. Mixed driving gives me about 15 mpg. I traded in my Escalade in order to get a more fuel efficient car. Wrong! The Escalade was much better on city and highway results.

Before you ask why I purchased a Hemi if I wanted better fuel economy... A) I need AWD and of the only two AWD's that came to dealers nearby in the spring of '05 and both were Hemis. B) I somehow believed that my results might be at least somewhere near EPA estimates.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    :) I've got 18K on my 06' 300C AWD and as a rule anything over 20 is a gift in the winter. With some idling to warm up it's more like 18. It is usually right at 20 in the summer with mixed driving. The best was 23.5 on a long stretch of interstate in Montana driving 75-80. Better than I expected because once in awhile you just have to jump on that Hemi. I've paid more for cars but don't know if I've ever had a better one...never had one that was more fun to drive.
  • daphod74daphod74 Member Posts: 6
    I do exactly that type of calculation and have been doing so since I bought the car. I've seen "tank averages" as high as 23MPG and as low as 13.5MPG (trip computer averages up to 25.4MPG). This car is very driver sensitive, but it does have a learning algorithm which will improve economy -if you let it. Consistent (especially after about 50-100 miles of driving) light throttle usage will cause the transmission to downshift less often, shift more smoothly as well as allow the MDS system to stay active under heavier loads. I've gotten very good at feathering the throttle and I can actually hear the car loading up on 4 cylinders while cruising up a hill - but she doesn't kick out of 4cyl until I apply more throttle. Driving hard for 50-100 miles and tranny/MDS will kick out much faster for better performance but lower fuel economy. Also, look into a high-efficiency air filter like a K&N or Trueflo and you might be able to add another MPG on both ends of the range. Good luck!
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I agree with everything you said until you mention to install a K&N filter.I wasted money buying a K&N filter for my '06 Charger SXT.I lost two miles per gallon,plus 5 MPH on speed.After I checked out the stock filter,it says that is a high flow filter.My opinion is to use the stock filter,my results was proof for me.Plus there have been disscussions on forums about K&N,and it a toss up.I think it depends on the stock filter.If you have a thick filter,then i think it may help.The Chrysler filter is thin like the K&N.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    City: about 15
    Highway: about 24 (a lot of 80 MPH driving) :)
    My previous post in this portion of the forum was Reply #25 dated December 31, 2005. My 300C just recently turned 40,000 miles. I tallied up actual fuel used and actual miles traveled out of my "little black book" and found that the average MPG for 40,000 miles was 19.1 . I don't think that is all that bad considering the fact I see folks every day driving mini-vans and SUV's that are not getting that kind of MPG. ;)
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    You are so correct. There are a lot of so-called "econoboxes" made by Japanese manufacturers that get the same mileage. 25 mpg HYW from a Toyota Rav4 is not near as impressive as a 5.7L HEMI doing the same thing! :)
    I also installed a K & N air filter on my 5.7 HEMI, and have not noticed any improvement in mileage or performance. If anything, I think the mileage is a bit worse, but I attributed that to the weight of my right foot... I had a discussion recently with someone about the high flow air filters and learned something. These filters really make a difference on carbureted engines where you can get more horses from more air/fuel. On modern engines with computer controlled injection and the combustion air intake controlled with mass airflow sensors and oxygen sensors in the exhaust side, you could take the air cleaner off completely and never change the amount of air allowed into the engine. So, what is the point? If anything, the filters don't clean as well and can allow dirt to flow into the micro-sized orifices that meter air/fuel into the cylinders, etc. I am definitely considering going back to stock filters!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I am definitely considering going back to stock filters!"

I'm thinking that that's a good move. :)
  • brit5brit5 Member Posts: 12
    Fuel injection engines do not work the same way that carbureted engines do.

With an intelligent fuel injection system, the increased airflow from reduced air filter obstruction results in the metered introduction of additional fuel to compensate for greater air mass-flow. The engine will make more peak power but will burn more fuel doing so.

Maintenance warnings about dirty air filters negatively affecting performance on EFI engines are quite correct, but the performance parameter that is most affected is power output, not economy. A really dirty airfilter not only significantly reduces power, it can also result in air bypassing the filter altogether, carrying grit into the engine with obvious implications for engine life.
    You are absolutely correct. If I owned a 1960's muscle car, I wouldn't hesitate to use a K & N air filter. They are a well designed and constructed product. They are such a risk to modern engines, they are even banned from use by Dodge on any DIESEL engines according to the dealerships. They claim the stock OEM filters do a better job of keeping the dirt out of critical areas. Since I can see daylight when I hold my K & N filter up to the sun, I am inclined to agree. Besides, the whole point was to improve my fuel economy which it did not. :confuse:
  • mopars_outlawwmopars_outlaww Member Posts: 1
    The only way that K&N air filter would make you loose MPG is if you OVER oiled it or didnt oil it enough. and its IMPOSSIBLE for the filter to make you loose 5mph
  • brentbbrentb Member Posts: 8
    Just bought a 2011 300 limited with the V-6. I got 28 mpg on the 300 mile trip home. by the time the tank was empty the average was 24 mpg on the trip computer, and 23.8 by hand calculation. I love the car...so quiet and smooth.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    What kind of mixed, all purpose, reasonable driving gas mileage do you expect from this big V8? How about pure highway mileage on a long interstate run? Thanks......