Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Because they already copied Mercedes, been there, done that.....

:)
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Considering how poor the new S and 745/750 are in the caboose. Lexus fairly nailed it!

The front end is still a little soft, even the current one may be slightly edgier after it's 2004 facelift, but given the demographic, it's acceptable.

The real problem was the low beltline and massive greenhouse. The new one flows much better, and looks more stately.

DrFill
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Where are more pics of the LF-SH? So far, looks awesome.
    There are tons of pics. on several other message boards, of which none that I can link since this forum is censored. Try the Toyota / Lexus auto show site regarding the Tokyo motor show, or do a web search for Lexus LF-SH.
  • carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    In viewing the picture of the 2007 ES 330 I cannot believe what I see. If you expect people to buy this car as is shown you are dreaming. It's a BODY ShOP special. It seems to me that the automobile industry is going nuts. I see many new model cars without BODY Side MOLDING. I would never buy a car without body side molding. Try parking in a parking lot and see how long it would take bofore the doors get dings and dongs.I will not spend anywhere between $30000 or $40000 to have my car lookin like it belongs in a junk yard. Good luck to all you saturn lovers.
    In viewing the picture of the 2007 ES 330 I cannot believe what I see. If you expect people to buy this car as is shown you are dreaming. It's a BODY ShOP special. It seems to me that the automobile industry is going nuts. I see many new model cars without BODY Side MOLDING. I would never buy a car without body side molding. Try parking in a parking lot and see how long it would take before the doors get dings and dongs.I will not spend anywhere between $30000 or $40000 to have my car lookin like it belongs in a junk yard. Good luck to all you saturn lovers.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    is a big boss at a Lexus dealership. He says (as though every knows it) that the ES is aimed at the luxo-market. . .Cadillac, Buick, and Lincoln drivers who want something a little smaller and with the KYB service Lexus offers. Just confirmed it while shopping for my 80yr old mother-in-law. After some test drives in what she thought she wanted, it took no time to decide the ES was as luxurious as the Town Car she liked but a better size. It is an amazingly simple car, gauges are big, and buttons are intuative. It is buttery smooth as any Cadillac but not so big. She loves it. It impressed me as well, but it isn't trying to be a BMW. They're no dummies at Lexus. This cars have a nitch.
    Get used to it my friend, it's the Toyota look. The Avalon has it and now the new Camry / ES.

It's all about form over function.
  • dp5dp5 Member Posts: 55
    I currently own a 2000 Lexus ES 300. It has been a wonderful car but it is getting a little long in the tooth and I am planning on replacing it very soon with another Lexus.

Last Spring, I looked at the GS 300 w/ Nav, Mark Levinson, etc. but I couldn't quite justify paying $50K+ for a car and they were selling for MSRP w/ no deals to be had. I learned that the ES was being updated for the Spring and my plan was to buy a new ES the first month or two that they come out.

Here is my dilemma. According to the posts on the GS forum, you can now buy a GS 300 for approximately $5K less than MSRP and this would be within my budget. In the past, there has been approximately a $7K price difference between a comparably equipped ES 330 and GS 300. I'll probably pay MSRP for the 2007 ES if I buy one in the Spring because it is a new vehicle which means that I could have bought a GS 300 for only $2K more. If the knowledgeable people in this forum think that these numbers are likely to hold up, I'll buy the GS and I could get it in the next few weeks. If not, I'll wait for more info on the new ES. I like the new GS but I've always been happy with the ES prior to now.

Here are my questions.

1. Do you expect the new ES 300 to sell for MSRP initially and, in the past, how long does it take for the dealers to start to substantially discount a newly designed Lexus?

2. Do you think that Lexus will maintain the $7K price gap between the GS and ES or do you think that the ES will be cheaper than this?

3. Given how nice the 2007 ES is supposed to be, does anyone think that the GS is worth spending another $2-5K for a similarly equipped vehicle.

Any thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The new ES will probably sell at sticker at the introduction and for a while longer depending on supply on how willing potential buyers are to go an alternate car if they don't like the price. This also depends on how agressive the MSRP is. If the MSRP is really good, then don't expect further discounts.
    If you can get a GS300 at a huge discount and no discount on the new ES, you can compare them then and decide which you prefer, but you will have to wait to see what either car really sells for when the time comes.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    Body side molding are extra... usually about $125.00
    People put way too much faith in bodyside moldings.
    There is nothing to prevent dings above and below the molding and plenty of cars have these dings there.
    You cannot park near other cars if you don't want dings.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I agree. Moldings use to be beneficial when most vehicles were the same size and were situated in the middle of the door. Now, (for the vehicles that still have them) they are there for looks only. On some vehicles they are situated so low they offer no protection at all.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Given how nice the 2007 ES is supposed to be, does anyone think that the GS is worth spending another $2-5K for a similarly equipped vehicle.

They are not "similarly equipped" because the new ES has a newer more powerful engine!
    At some point I'm sure the GS will get a new base engine. Maybe 2007. The current engine is probably temporary.
    Yesterday, I posted that I was deciding between a 2006 GS 300 and a 2007 ES 350. I test drove the GS today. At 38 years of age, I guess that I'm getting old because the GS seemed like too much "sports" and not enough "sedan" for my taste. I'm not sure that it would fit my family lifestyle as well as the ES so I guess that I will wait until the new ES comes out. With this obvious sign of aging, I'm sure that plaid pants and a daily dose of Metamucil can't be too far in my future.
  • tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    Yeah - opinions do change with time! I am 34 - my problem with the GS is that headroom in the GS seems awful. I kept trying to lower the seat but it wouldn't go down any further. Didn't seem like good visibility if you were taller. Rear seat felt like I was in the back of sports car, not a 45K sedan. And don't even get me started on the trunk! It's selling well, but I am not sure who the target is. So, although the 2006 ES still has a little of that "plasticky" Toyota dashboard look to me, I have high hopes for the 2007 ES350. My wish list for the 2007 ES: AWD - Seems unlikely, but you never know, Bluetooth, and Push button Start (a gimmick, I know). My prediction is it will have 2 of 3, but I will lose on AWD.
    A friend of mine was interested in the new Toyota Avalon but did not buy it because it didn't come with body side molding. He was quoted $350 to add it and was not told that it was a factory option.If you think this is not an important issue good luck to uou.Have a happy time getting your DINGS & DENTS.You must be in the body shop business. They are expecting a bonanza of DING & DENT business.
    I have the same hopes that you do for the new ES. The bluetooth seems like a great convenience. I agree that the push-button start is a totally useless gimmick but it has a really high cool factor. I live in a warm climate so I'll pass on the AWD but I'm looking forward to having more horsepower than I have in my current 2000 ES.
    I'm not sure why people are not understanding that bodyside moldings do not prevent all dings.
    People who have cars that they absolutely want to prevent dings on take great care not to park near other cars and do not rely on bodyside moldings.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    1. The ES will probably go for MSRP for a while then come back down

2. The ES will probably increase slightly in its base price

3. I personally would jump to the GS, but I admit that they are two totally different vehicles. The ES is a FWD midsize entry level luxury car much like my I35 and the GS is a RWD midsize mid price luxury sport sedan more like the M35 (although reviews have criticized it for not being sporty enough)

You could wait and see what the new ES looks like, and then make your decision. If you like what you see in the new ES but don't want to spend MSRP, you could sign a short term 24 month lease on a left over 2006 ES330 (or now, during their December to Remember event) and then when prices come down in 24 months then go and get the 2009 model.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Wouldnt the 2009 model be out in 36 months, not 24 from now? The 2008 would be the one available in Dec 07.

You scared me- 2009 is my 10 year High School reunion....

~alpha
  • edr1edr1 Member Posts: 1
    What is the latest on the 2007 ES 330 in regard to pictures and engine specs?
    oops sorry.

yea. I think I meant 2008...
    I agree with you that body side moldings will not prevent ALL dings and dents but by and large they will prevent the majority of them.Where can you park in a parking lot of a shopping center to be sure that no one will swing their door wide open and give your car a real good ding or dent? Acura offers body side moldings on some of their models as an added accessory but as of now Toyota does not for the new Avalon.Perhaps that will soon change if they know people object if they are not available. Talk to any car salesman and they will say "Oh we can put them on". What they don't realize is they are not a factory accessory.
    If you don't want any dings, you park at the far end of the parking lot, walk an extra minute to the store entrance and don't use compact spaces.
    You will still get dings even with body side moldings because other cars and trucks are either taller or shorter and depending on the shape of the other vehicle's door, it will hit your car at a different point.

What good is just not having dings along the strip of metal where the molding is installed when you still get dings above, below, in front of or behind the ends of the molding?

Dings could be better prevented with plastic body panels like Saturns have, but for some reason, plastic body panels are not catching on with any other car makers.
    Lexus is on the media schedule for a world wide introduction at the Chicago Auto Show. Could it be the new ES!? Check the December update.

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/
    what else would they be launching?

I'm interested in seeing what Toyota and Honda are launching...
    I can't link it but Vince Burlapp has more "spy shots" of the ES on his site. Do a search and ye shall find....
  • snowbirdsnowbird Member Posts: 120
    That's a very nice picture of a Toyota Windom. Would you know what year model it was and any engine specs for that car. I would be pleased if the 2007 Lexus ES350 would look something like this one but would prefer a slightly larger engine with AWD which would hopefully fix the rumored trans hesitation problem that seemed to plague the current and earlier ES models.
    Which post was that? I can't seem to find it.

I think I just typed in "Toyota Windom" into Google Images.
    Do a search for Vince Burlapp, the site is The Hollywood Extra. Look for 2007 ES 350 not the Windom.
  • snowbirdsnowbird Member Posts: 120
    Thanks. Got it. January show at Detroit would be great. Can't wait.

Jchan2 - Your post of Windom was #132.
    Thanks for referring me back.
    I think I did just put it into Google Images (I typed Toyota Windom) and picked one that looked pretty good.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Toyota never anouced where the ES350 is going to debut, why?
    They don't announce anything until right up to the show dates. Frankly I'm shocked they announced in December the Camry and LS debuts for the Detroit show in January......We didn't get any announcements on the Tokyo show until almost the week before the show!

It appears that the ES may debut in Chicago on Feb. 8th, and that's an educated guess. Lexus is on the media schedule for a "world introduction" and the ES would be the most logical choice for a debut. I anticipate they'll make an official announcement shortly after or during the Detroit show.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    I think you are right blues. Too many new cars coming out from Toyota that it is tough to decide when to introduce what!

I looked at Chicago show's schedule also, it seems like Toyota is taking charge in Chicago with Jim Press being the speaker in the first day. Toyota also will introduce something, could be the next Truck.

Too bad, has to wait another month to see the ES350.
    Toyota is taking charge because shortly they will be in charge....

Well we've waited this long, another month won't kill us but it's tough.
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    I am surprised nobody has yet stumbled upon an unofficial picture of the 07 ES. The internet is full of pictures of the next Camry. Does anyone really know when the next ES is coming out. Is it in early Spring like the 07 Camry or late summer or early fall ?
    Supposedly this spring. Should the ES debut in Chicago as we suspect, I imagine we'll start seeing more spy shots as we approach the date.
    By the way, there are "unofficial" pictures out there, read back a few posts and you'll find out where to find them.
    There are some very heavily disguized spy photos (car covered in disguize front to back) and a bizarre computer simulated rendering that is likely false floating around.
    Kirstie will be sending you an E-mail shortly stating that you can't link to other forums or your privledges here will be revoked........
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Sorry, Host I forgot about that rule Should have known better :(
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Thanks for the Pics. Wow the car is so extensively covered that it is hard to tell what it looks like. But if you notice the side profile, you see that it looks almost same as the current Camry/ES so I am thinking that the styling will be more evolutionary than revolutionary.
    I think you'll find the styling to be completely new and the only thing on the side profile that's the same will be the doors and or roof line. This generation is also longer than the last.

Make no mistake, while the DNA will be obvious this is a new design
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Let us hope so. The current design looks too conservative. I hope it looks similar to the IS and GS.
    The current design looks ugly in front, conservative in back and nondescript on the sides.
    The previous generation looked better outside. The current generation looks much nicer inside.
    Maybe they can make the new one look good both inside and out.
    Well it will have the I Finesse look, that much we know. The interior only needs a new center stack / console and a telescoping column.

I'd bet money it's a push button start!
This discussion has been closed.