Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayman S

Comments

• jfk663jfk663 Member Posts: 18
    An update to message #97. I am happy to report that after 5 trips to the local dealer with oil leaks. Porsche Cars North America is going to replace my engine. I had bought the car with 1600 miles on it and have had problems since the first week. After replacing diff. rings & seals, the problem was not going away. The dealer told me it was a DEMO, he neglected to tell me it was an "Off Site" Demo, meaning that they had NO CLUE how this car was driven or broken in. I pleaded my case w/ PCNA that this was just the beginning of the problems and that it was in there best interest to help solve the problem, and they did.

A word to anyone who has a problem: If you feel it is a legitimate problem, be persistent, document EVERYTHING and stand your ground. PCNA want's you to be a customer for LIFE.
  • lukasblukasb Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, I just got a cayman s and I've driven it for about 2700 miles. In the first 1200 miles the oil level reached the minimum so I went to a Porsche service point were they filled it up again. Then I didn't have any problems with the oil until now that the oil level has gone down again(just one line). Is this normal? is it supposed to consume more oil than the usual at the beginning?(i don't know what the usual is, but I never had a car that consumed this much) sould I worry?
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i don't think it's normal for an engine to consume more oil at the beginning. from what i've seen, engines consume more oil as they age, not less. and there can be substantial oil-consumption variations between different engines of the same type. i'd expect porsches to exhibit fewer such variations than a typical GM V6 or V8, but do not know for sure.

porsche will have a spec about how much oil consumption can be considered normal so i'd look at that data first. it's not clear how fast your car is consuming oil - did you check oil yourself at delivery time? are you checking it at same spot, same-level long enough after the engine is stopped?

usually i see oil consumption of less than a quart per 10,000 miles - on all of my many vehicles. the most i have seen a quart consumed per 4000 miles (GM LS1 V8). faster consumption than 1 quart per 4000 miles would annoy me but i recognize that it is still well below what GM specs would allow before they would do any warranty-investigation/repair/replacement.

are you babying the car or punishing it during breakin? my recommendation is to punish the engine massively as soon as the brakes are seated - use the entire rpm-band often, give maximum-throttle often, staying within acceptable speeds of course, use much engine-braking as well as accelerating. (btw, i've never owned a porsche, yet.)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "my recommendation is to punish the engine massively as soon as the brakes are seated - use the entire rpm-band often, give maximum-throttle often, staying within acceptable speeds of course, use much engine-braking as well as accelerating. (btw, i've never owned a porsche, yet.)"

Good Bloody God! :surprise: :surprise:

You need to do a lot more reading before you ever do (own a Porsche). Or a high performance "M" car, "AMG", Honda S2000, etc.

Porsche clearly recommends to keep the RPM's below 4k (reline is 7,300) and vary engine speed during break in. I've also been advised to drive the car for a minimum of 20 minutes during break in so that all engine components, oil, etc. reaches full operating temperature.

I'm sure it wasn't ill intentioned, but your inexperienced advice - "punish massively" - is precisely what Porsche would like to do to you for giving it, and any Porsche owner dumb enough to take it. May I respectfully suggest you borrow an owners manual before you drop $60k to $100k+ on the car. Or any car with a bit more engine refinement than a push rod GM. ;)

As for oil consumption in a boxster style engine, 1 quart per 1,500 to 2,500 miles is considered average. A lot more should be checked out. According to two seasoned service managers.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    heh heh. it's sort of fun to horrify porsche guys. really, i would wait for however long the manufacturer suggests before letting the punishment begin. if that meant keeping it below 4k until 2500 miles (?), no problemo. (4-wheel-drifts work just as well with rpm below 3900 rpm.)
    so habitat1, may i borrow your owners manual for one night, and your $60k to $100k porsche the next day for a little break-in cruise!? i know you porsche guys like to baby your cars so much, so as a 20-year Z28 driver i offer to break it in for you.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Saw a Cayman Preview on the porsche website. The specs look good. Not too much difference between Cayman & Cayman S in 0 - 60mph (not that it really matters). Has anyone heard any pricing or release date?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• amstuartamstuart Member Posts: 6
    Hi:

I was washing my 2006 Cayman S and noticed a white plastic flex tube extending beneath the car, passenger side, under the floor boards. What is this tube?

Thanks.

Adam
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    It is simply a drain tube. There are pics of them at CaymanClub.Net from some various owners. It seems that from the factory some hang down more than others. You can typically work them back up into the body a little or else just trim off the excess if it bothers you.
    Appreciate it. Thanks for the answer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche owners who would like to talk about their satisfaction with the brand. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the make and model Porsche you own.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    My husband and I went back to the Porsche dealership over the weekend. He had already driven a Cayman S and loved it. He said it was time that I drove one.

Ooo La La... I loved it. It was speed yellow w/6spd and not heavily optioned. I think the sticker was $65k or so.

As much as I liked it, hard to justify that kind of money on a car with no backseat. (I know I know...)

We have a pristine 1986 911 Cab; at least that has two jump seats.

I told the salesman to call me when the Base Cayman comes in for me to drive.

But, here is a question... That speed yellow Cayman S has been on the dealer lot for at least 3 months. I wonder how much they would want to deal on that one... It either hasn't sold because it is speed yellow, people are picky, or they won't deal...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stacy
    That speed yellow Cayman S has been on the dealer lot for at least 3 months. I wonder how much they would want to deal on that one... It either hasn't sold because it is speed yellow, people are picky, or they won't deal...

Speed Yellow: I was coaxed into ordering a 2006 Spped Yellow 911 Cab S to replace my 2005 Seal Grey. However, when the buyer for my Seal Grey went MIA, I decided to keep it. I had received at least 12+ legitimate calls when I had advertised it (only once) in the paper and cars.com. When I randomly asked the callers how many would have been interested in Speed Yellow, the answer was none (0). Granted, bad sample, since they were calling on a Seal Grey, but many said they would also have been interested in Silver, Black, Atlas Grey, Midnight Blue, etc. Personally, I like Speed Yellow, especially in the Cayman and Boxster. But I think it's a hit or miss color with other buyers and it looks like your dealer has been missing.

Cayman S: I'm wondering how it's doing sales wise, noW that the initial pent up demand is gone (if there ever was much). I've recently met two recent buyers of base 911 coupes that were both initially interested in the Cayman, but, like you, had a tough time justifying $60-$65k (after nominal discounts) for a 2 seater hardtop. They cut deals in the low $70's for nicely equiped base 911's. Both mentioned that, had it not been for the 997 redesign, they might have gone with the Cayman S over the former 996.

Deal: If you really like that Speed Yellow Cayman S, I'd be tempted to offer $2,000+/- over invoice and see what happens. I hope, however, that since it's been at the dealer for 3 months, it doesn't have 500 miles worth of 50 different test drives. I wouldn't buy any car that's been through that.
    We actually like the speed yellow. In fact, if we were to buy one it would be a speed yellow. I'm not normally a "look at me" person, but for that car, I would want it to say "HELLO"...

I think the car has 60 miles or so. The test loop is small and the dealership is not a volume seller like in Houston or Dallas or even Austin.

I mention the 911 with the jump seats because at least I can say it has seats. ;o) We have fit a grownup back their with the top down. Given, they were sitting sideways...

I guess it comes down to do I want to spend that on a brand new Cayman or another used 911. Decisions decision...

Their base Cayman is sitting in port waiting to be released. The salesman said I can be the first to drive it. I need to see if that $10k in price is worth the horsepower difference. Then again, if they were really willing to deal on that yellow one, it wouldn't be an issue. I actually love the idea of INVOICE. ;o)

I know, I know, I'm dreaming!!!

Thanks for the responses...

Stacy
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Oh, that speed yellow with the black wheels....wowwww.
    AAAHhhhhhhh, that sounds SWEEEEEEET!!!

I inquired further regarding that speed yellow that has been sitting on their lot. The story I heard was that Porsche "gave" them a few cars and the yellow was one of them. It has been there at least 3 months; if not longer.

The salesman didn't "wiggle" in any way. I guess they do not need to or want to move it??? I mean, he didn't even suggest working a deal for it...

Oh well...
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Jill,

I have had my Cayman for 3 months - it is the most fun car I have ever owned. Go by the dealer, write him a check for what you are willing to pay, let him reject your cash - I doubt he will if your offer is reasonable. In Boston you can get $4K off without even getting into tough negotiations.

Like you I also have a BMW 330, mine is a 2001 convertible. I only have 30K miles on the car and my plan was to trade it in for a new Boxster, when I drove the Cayman I had to have it instead. I ended up keeping the BMW for sunny day top down drives but nothing beats the Cayman for thrills.

Good Luck.
    I had a dealer in Dallas offer me a demo with 800miles on it for $4k off without me even asking... An 800 miler demo is not appealing even at $4k off...I still think I can do better on a new one. ;o)

I'm thinking I need to wait and at least try the Base Cayman.

I'm not getting red of my 330ci. I just got it a few months ago and LOVE it!!! The Cayman would actually be my husbands daily driver.

The kicker is I have too many cars... We have a PRISTINE 1986 911 Cab. He would have to give that up to get the Cayman. He also has the option of ugrading to a newer used 911.

So, we go back and forth a lot. I think we'll know when the time is right; the "DEAL" just has to be there. ;o)

P.S. The new car and driver has a good article between the BMW Z4 M Coupe and the Cayman S. I wish I could have both. ;o)

Stacy
  • kuzillakuzilla Member Posts: 1
    Read the most current issue of motor trend (or is it road and track?) - anyway the cayman is not selling as well as expected and inventories are collecting days on the floor.

I was able to negotiate about 7% off a 2006 carrera that had to be shipped from 1000 miles away (and dealer ate $800. shipping cost).

1.) find a dealer that is hungry - not all are the same - the 'premier dealers' would not be my first choice.

2.) know EXACTLY what you want...build it first on the porsche website. Hasve em find it at another dealer - they can check all cars in US, en-route, and in production. Find what you want and make an offer.

3.) assuming you are qualified, start 10-15% below sticker when the salesman suggests his first #'s. I don't care if it's a porsche, toyota or whatever, i won't pay sticker.

4.) be prepared to give a deposit ($1000) and they will have care shipped. If your ready to buy they will negotiate.

5.) I have lots of time so i visited at least 6 dealers (this is SoCal), checked inventory on their website, and had alot of them calling me. Porsche is implementing a system whereby each dealer can check to see if you've given your name to another dealer (e.g. 'shopped' there)..not functional yet but will be soon - don't think this will change the dynamics as they all compete for your business.

You should get your cayman in th high 50's. $65 is getting close to a decent deal on the base carrera.

Good luck to you.
    WHOA, stop, slow down... Your telling me I can get a base carerra for $65? HELLO!!! Well that is another story. Heck with the Cayman.

Actually, I think we have decided to look for a "gently" used 911. We went to Austin over the weekend to look at the Caymans because they had more in stock than in San Antonio. We wanted to see the different options in person. Then, they had a 2003 911 Carerra Coupe with 11k miles on it. We drove it and loved it. It was minimal on the options, which we like. They were asking $57k for it. (Red Tag Special)...yada yada yada...

We didn't come home with it, but it gave us something to think about. New Cayman or used 911.

I actually think we are now leaning towards a newer 911. However, if you say I could get a base carerra for $65k, that is very very very appealing...

I agree with you, I NEVER pay sticker and I don't care what kind of brand it is... I'm not afraid to walk away like a lot of people. ;o)

So, say I configure a base carerra to about $74k on Porsches website, what numbers would you start out with?

There are just too many options...Cayman, newer used 911, etc...

Decisions Decisons...

Thanks for the advice...

Stacy
  • speedyellowspeedyellow Member Posts: 1
    I just got a Cayman S Speed yellow, looooove it!!
  • jspencejspence Member Posts: 3
    Hi Jill, congratulations! I have a BMW, but am looking into a Cayman S right now as well. You should head over to caymanclub.net and introduce youself. :)
    The base Cayman I saw was an '07 and stickered for $52000. Didn't drive it but it looked sweet.
    My husband and I just drove a base Cayman. Very nice. I'd buy the base over the S. Not worth the difference of $10k.

Stacy
    My husband and I just drove a base Cayman. Very nice. I'd buy the base over the S. Not worth the difference of $10k.

I agree totally. I didn't have a problem with the black brake calipers, the blacked out front air dam or smaller wheels on the base C compared side-by-side with the CS.
    If you are comparing them side by side on looks, you are missing at least half of the equation. I went for a 911S over a base 911 because of the noticable difference in performance. I have not driven either the Cayman or Cayman S, ut if I were shopping for one, I'd test drive both models extensively.
    The one thing I didn't like on the Base Cayman was the wheels. I think I would upgrade to the Base to the standard wheel on the S and I would also delete the model designation. Other than the horsepower and some vanity items, the Base is good!!! I also prefer the 5-spd over the 6-spd. The S is just a little harsher of a ride compared to the Base and as a daily driver, I would prefer the Base.

Both are very nice cars.

Stacy
    If you are comparing them side by side on looks, you are missing at least half of the equation. I went for a 911S over a base 911 because of the noticable difference in performance. I have not driven either the Cayman or Cayman S, ut if I were shopping for one, I'd test drive both models extensively.

Oh, no doubt.
  • weissbrweissbr Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have any idea when a Cayman convertible will
    be available in the US?
    Contemplating my 1st Porsche purchase. Considering Boxster,
    Cayman Convertible (when available) or used 911 Convertible.
    Appreciate advice from others .
    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    There will be no Cayman convertible... The Boxster is pretty much the convertible version of the Cayman (or the Cayman is the coupe version of the Boxster, take your pick).

Next year, the Boxsters get the same engines as the Caymans.. at least according to Car & Driver...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..what does the base Cayman show for a sticker price?..what does the base Cayman show for a sticker price?
    ..Replying to: carnaught (Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm)

The one thing I didn't like on the Base Cayman was the wheels. I think I would upgrade to the Base to the standard wheel on the S and I would also delete the model designation. Other than the horsepower and some vanity items, the Base is good!!! I also prefer the 5-spd over the 6-spd. The S is just a little harsher of a ride compared to the Base and as a daily driver, I would prefer the Base.

..what does the base Cayman show for a sticker price?

tks, ez..
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Went in to the local dealer yesterday just to see if I fit in a Cayman, to squelch the dream so to speak. Turns out I fit and the salesman made me an offer straight-up that I could/can find little fault with, though I'm still suspicious. 24 months/10K, 3500 down plus first months, $499 per month. I read the detail up and down and could not find fault with it, but kept thinking I missed something. The MSRP was 54K, the final price was $47K, with 73% residual and 7.3% interest.

Defintely more down than I would have liked, but the payment is less that my Suby OBXT, so....
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.
  • stackemhighstackemhigh Member Posts: 4
    That does sound too good to be true - I just got quoted almost 800.00 per month for 36 months w/ 2k down. What dealer was it? I think you can name dealers just not salespeople.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    Apologize for not checking back. The dealer was Sonnen in Mill Valley. At the time they said they had 4 others at this price, but it was a promotion.
  • sagaboysagaboy Member Posts: 1
    What about an owner of a 2005 MB 350 SLK owner who just put a deposit on a Cayman S who has used the 350 for everyday driving?
  • stackemhighstackemhigh Member Posts: 4
    thank you - I live in southern CA and travel up there frequently. I had the same thing when I got a boxster - wildly different quotes... oh to be a female car enthusiast
    Hi:

My beautiful 2006 Cayman-S sustained its first damage, a direct hit from a Home Depot hand cart. The black plastic fender just anterior to the rear tire and the body frame beneath the door took a hit. I was dismayed to see that a lifting jack is not included with the car(!), and there was no way to reach two special screws in the wheel well without removing the tire. I improvised with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver tip that goes in a drill chuck. I ordered the plastic part on-line with my Miami, FL dealer and will make a future trip to repair the dent. Select the following links (copy and paste if hyperlinks are not created) and view some images of the damage.
    http://www.pbase.com/adamstuart/image/65788362
    http://www.pbase.com/adamstuart/image/65788409
    http://www.pbase.com/adamstuart/image/65788538

Adam
    Kind of hard to see much damage on the Cayman, but great astronomical photos on your site. Mind if I share them with my daughters?
    You are correct, not much damage. There is a nice-size dent in the frame of the car, however (select largest size photo to see). Sure, you can share my entire astrosite with your children.

Adam
  • britbbritb Member Posts: 4
    Hello, i am a new member and i have joined this forum to gain more knowledge of Porsche so I can make the best decision when buying a new car next summer. I had a 2002 M3 w/ SMG trans. and i loved the car but sold it in anticipation for the new M3 coming out soon. Well I was convinced i was making the right choice until.....the Cayman S was revealed. The reviews were staggering, everyone loved this car. It looks awesome, the price is well, not so bad for a supercar marque, but I have to be fair to my conscience and compare it to the M3, with 6 cyl at 333hp, 0-60 in 4.8 sec. and a starting price of $50k. The new M3 will be an 8cyl. car w/ 400hp., 0-60 in 4.5 and a starting price of approx. $53k. Now the Cayman S is 6 cyl. w/ 295 hp., 0-60 in 5.1 sec. and a starting price of $60k. Welcome to my conundrum, my heart moves at the thought of the Cayman, but my brain looks at the numbers and tells me the M3 is the obvious choice. Also, to make things worse, BMW is intent on upping the HP of the M3 while Porsche engineers purposely kept the Cayman's HP down just so it didn't compete with the 911!! The engine should easily put out more juice and it is frustrating to buy a car knowing full well it isn't all that it could be because of marketing politics. That Gentlemen, is shite!!
  • jrsljrsl Member Posts: 1
    how much discount off the MSRP you can get on an in stock brandnew porsche cayman S? Anybody?
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I always liked the M3 and am looking forward to the new one too. As you know, it's a matter of preferences, power and some utility vs handling. I have always put handling on the highest of pedestals. You get a lower, lighter, true sports car with the Cayman.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    how much discount off the MSRP you can get on an in stock brandnew porsche cayman S?

I'm hearing at least $7K off MSRP for 06.
  • jordom3jordom3 Member Posts: 2
    I just sold my 2003 M3 (manual, not SMG) to get the Cayman. If what you want is handling and balance, then there is no comparison; the Cayman crushes the M3. However, the M3 pulls stronger at speeds above 80mph. I have now been driving the Cayman for a few days and can honestly say that I do not miss the M3 at all (and I loved it while I had it).
    I'll add my voice to what was already said by designman and jordom3. The Cayman S is a pure sports car. The M3 is a sports coupe. They are both at the top of their class, but, IMO, you can't have as much fun driving a coupe no matter how much horsepower you put into it. Heck, I'd take the Cayman over the 600+ hp SL65 if I didn't need a back seat.

On the other hand if you do need a real back seat (as opposed to the kid sized ones in my 911), the M3 is hard to beat.
  • britbbritb Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. Is the power feel that much different? The thing I loved about the M3 is you could really get on it and the engine was so responsive and quick. Do you still feel that in the Cayman S?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I don't think the M3 is a fair comparison to the Cayman S. The BMW is basically a high performance 2-door sedan. Sure it's got more HP than the Porsche, but it also weighs 400 lbs more.

If you want to test a comparable BMW, you should be looking at the M Coupe.
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    I instruct at high performance driving events and I can tell you first hand that the Cayman S is more fun (and faster) at the track. If you need back seats get the M3 though.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    On the track, I suspect the Cayman's neutral handling and brakes are what make it a star. I've never driven one but hope to soon.

Personally, I don't think anyone is building a true "sports car" with a back seat today. Until someone does, I'll just keep my E30 M3, thank you very much.
    "Personally, I don't think anyone is building a true "sports car" with a back seat today."

My kids would take issue with that statement, as they fit quite comfortably in the back of our 911S Cab. So do 2 sets of golf clubs. But 6 footers will come out a little twisted.