Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Cayman S

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Start with placing your rear end in the seat for a test drive. Then come back if you have any further questions.
  • I came very close to getting Cayman in November, but as usually, my wife jumped in and we ended up getting the "practical car", an Audi Q7 3.6 Premium to replace her Allroad. That being said, she assured me I could get my Cayman, a weekend toy, next year and she won't say a thing. Deal. And no, I did not get this in writting. Does anyone feel my pain?

However, during my apparent mid-life crisis theropy, I tested three medications: One, a 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe, a 2008 Cayman and 2008 Cayman S. BMW had some very good lease deals on 2007 BMW Z4 M's and M Coupes. Almost too good to pass up. Then I drove the Cayman and the Cayman S. They are, as all the car magazines say, the winners. The Z4 M Coupe was fun too, great lease deal and a brute, but in a good way.

Had the stars aligned properly, I would have ended up with an Red/Tan '08 Cayman. I am sure Porsche will make more next year.

My biggest complaint with the Porsche was the absolutely terrible stereo system. Even the upgraded Premium Bose systerm sounded like it came from a 2001 Toyota Corolla, and what's up the the FM tuner and it's slow station selection. No Ipod interface either. Come on Porsche, call your brothers at Audi and have then ship you one of their Bose systerms. The Bose system in the BMW Z4 M Coupe was a serious system and could have been a turning point. Hey, I like my I-Tune, o.k.?

I know the Cayman is due for a face lift in 2008/2009. I hope, I mean really hope, Porsche has decided the stereo gets a update as well. A $50,000+ car should have the best stereo systerm, par non. And don't hand me that bs about true Porsche drivers don't listen to the radio when driving.

A great car, I hope to join the club next year. Porsche, fix the radio!!!!
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    John, I agree with you to a point, Porsche has always been notoriously slow to keep their electronics up to date. The stereo is a good example, their NAV systems, and their slow adoption of Bluetooth are also examples. Now to your point about owners not caring because they rarely use the stereo, well I have to agree. I have had my Cayman S for about 18 months, about half of the time I drive I have the windows down to enjoy the sweet engine sounds. I wouldn't have believed it but it is true, it adds to an already wonderful driving experience.

Good luck in your pursuit of a Cayman, stay persistant, it is worth it!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,784
    I'll make you a deal! If you get the Cayman and don't like it because of the radio, you can trade cars with me. I've upgraded the stock radio on my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH to a Pioneer Head Unit with Sirius & Ipod integration. If you give me the Cayman, I'll even have the shop upgrade the speakers before I give you my Prelude....Deal? lol

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    If it's any consolation, the "upgraded" Bose system in my 911S Cab also sucks. And the Nav system is a royal pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to use compared to the touch screen in my Acura TL. Bluetooth? I-pod? Forget it.

That said, I have to agree with clembo that it really doesn't matter. After 2+ years and 17,400 miles, the enjoyment of DRIVING the 911 is still there.

And when I think about it, back when I had a Honda S2000 and had manual seats and a stereo system that wasn't as good as my daughter's i-Home, it didn't matter either. Nissan could have put a friggin symphony hall in the 350Z and a power, memory, heated drivers seat that massaged your do-dads while you were cruising the highway and I would never have traded the driving dynamics of the S2000 for it.

Trust me. You may think it matters now, but if you actually get a Cayman S, you will be surprised that the lousy stereo and lack of modern electronics will become less important to you, the longer you drive the car. Not making excuses for Porsche. Just stating the reality of my 2+ year ownership experience.
  • I do agree that I would most likely survive quite well with the radio off. Seriously, I do understand that it is the "Porsche Driving Experience" that is what owning this car is all about.

It is only my hope that, just maybe, someone at Porsche maybe scanning these comments and realize their are those of us, potential buyers and current owners, who do like our music too. That upgrading the stereo for the upcoming 2009 Cayman update is in order. It can't be that hard.

I too don't care about all the other luxury gizmo's either. I just want a great stereo with an Ipod interface. I'd rather not have some kid at Circuit City taking apart my Porsche and installing an aftermarket head unit and speakers that does not fit the looks of the Cayman interior. Nor risk the fact that it still may not sound good or void any factory warranties. Especially when it comes to electrical warranty issues. Not to mention, if you lease a Porsche you can't do anything to it anyway.

It does not help the cause when everyone agrees that stereo in Porsche's are no good and admit they turn them off. Again, I understand, but don't you think sports cars costing $55K and up should have a great stereo. Especially your 911S Cab.

Anyone at Porsche listening?
  • kmanskmans Posts: 20
    Yes, Porsche *IS* listening and one of the ways they listen is through surveys. If you'd like your voice to count, take this survey:

http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-chat/poll-165-select-all-items-you-would-defini- tely-buy-if-porsche-offered-them-via-tequipment.html

Porsche is monitoring the results of the survey and is planning to make some changes in their tequipment lineup going forward.
  • I think everyone should remember...The thing that sets Porsche and all the other Exotic cars (Ferrari, Lambourgini, etc..) apart from the others is that they are *not* mainstream vehicles. The car is built for performance and I don't know too many people who want to listen to the radio when they are at the track in high-performance mode!

That being said, I understand around town is different and there are plenty of high-end shops that provide aftermarket support for Porsches and other high-end vehicles. I personally had an amp added in the boot (where the CD changer should go) and a 10 inch sub added in the rear compartment of Cayman. It enhances the overall sound far better than what can be achieve with any Bose car system. The highs and mids even sound better once you don't have to crank the system.

This was all done at a cost less than the Bose upgrade and I can pull it and reuse if I decide to sell my Cayman.

One thing is certain, 10-20 years down the road, no one is going to care about the Bose stereo or IPod connector or anything other than the performance of the car and shape its in if they buy it from you. Most likely the radios, IPods, etc won't be up to par with the "new market". But the Porsche technology will continue to out live Honda, Toyota, and any other mainstream car with all their fancy options.

MHO.
  • petew9petew9 Posts: 1
    I have a fantastic Yellow Cayman S. Anyone considering a car in this category get out and buy one... there's no other car in this category! I'm thinking of an engine re-map for more power, and feel I should also upgrade the brakes. Thinking of maybe yellow EBC. Anyone any knowledge comments.
  • tesla43tesla43 Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2007 Cayman S almost one year ago. I have had an occasional problem over the past few weeks when starting the car. Sometimes when I turn the ignition I get no response at all. It does this multiple times. I then remove the key and lock the steering wheel. I insert the key again, unlock the steering wheel and it will start. Today, the same thing happened, however, when attempting to start it after a few tries, the starter, or solenoid, sounded like it made a rapid clicking noise. I then went through the same scenario all over again of removing the key and locking the wheel, and then unlocking, and the car started. It doesn't happen all of the time. Does anybody know if there is a problem with either the solenoid or some other ignition component for the 2007? Or, am I just doing something wrong when trying to start the vehicle? Any help is much appreciated.
  • Hey Tesla,
    Have you checked the +/- leads to the battery terminals? If they're loose they may cause symptoms similar to what you're describing. I don't own a porsche, but I've had the same thing happen to me on different cars before and that's all I had to do to fix it.
  • JUst bought Cayman S PDE-1. LIke anything Porsche, prices can very greatly. Base price on PDE-1 is $69,000. Mine was $88,000. If you ordered every option offered, you could run a Cyamn up to $114,000....but it is one hell of a car and I am having a ball driving it :)
    Congratulations on your car, I agree that it is a blast to drive. I have had mine for 2 years and I smile every time I drive it.
  • dhsieh9dhsieh9 Posts: 44
    I bought this Cayman S on Jan. 2008. I put in about 2000 miles so far. Having owned Bimmer, Mercedes, Lexus & Infiniti in the past, this car by far offers the most fun and exhilaration to drive. The engine puts out an unmistakable note that sounds almost like a symphony orchestra. The car averages 19.7 mpg and I couldn't be more happy given its acceleration & performance. Some complaints I have about this car are body integrity, stereo and Tiptronic buttons. Its rear-end produces rattle noises. I have spent 3 trips to the dealer including a replacement of tail-light assembly under factory service bulletin and they still can fix it. The Tiptronic buttons should really be paddle-shifters mounted on the steering column rather than on the wheel. In many occasions, I inadvertently touched the button and caused it to shift gear. This is not to mention that when turning wheels, the Tiptronic buttons rotate up-side-down and cause total confusion. Lastly, a decent stereo certainly helps. Lastly, I sorely miss a Sun/Moon roof on this Porsche that I take for granted in my other cars.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "Tiptronic buttons should really be paddle-shifters mounted on the steering column rather than on the wheel."

That would force you to take your hand off the wheel in a turn in order to shift.

"not to mention that when turning wheels, the Tiptronic buttons rotate up-side-down and cause total confusion."

Keep your hands at the proper 9 and 3 position and you'll never have a problem.

You should sign up for a Porsche driving school. You'll be amazed how well the Porsche is designed for driving (and how much more you'll enjoy your car) when you learn the correct techniques.
    Let assume that you are turning 45 degrees clockwise and you want to downshift, how does 9-3 position help you? Again, inadvertent touch of shift buttons mounting on wheel is very annoying to say the least when you are driving on the freeway. To my knowledge all car manufacturers, including BMW, are using paddle-shifters mounting on the steering column and it is pretty much an industry de facto standard.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "paddle-shifters mounting on the steering column and it is pretty much an industry de facto standard."

I don't know about any industry standards, but I do know that, off the top of my head, Porsche, Mazda, BMW, Jaguar, Mitsubishi, Audi, Acura, Mercedes (AMG), Lexus, and Chevrolet (Corvette) put them on the steering wheel.
  • Hey Guys,

Kicking around the idea of a used Boxster but I have read that the Boxster engine (same as Cayman?) has a fatal mechanical flaw and can 'let go' requiring complete engine replacement @$10,000+ a pop (out of warranty , of course) - any truth to this?

If so was this corrected in the 2006 and later Boxsters?

Thanks for any advice on buying a used Boxster - was 2006 the last year Porsche made significant upgrades? Years to look at - years to avoid?

(Sorry - posted same in Boxster forum)
    The short answer is YES, Boxsters and Caymans from 2005 to 2008. Due to various issues like intermediate shaft failure or cracked pistons, oil starvation, oil ingestion etc. Will all of them fail? No. Will some of them? Yes. Porsche has changed the engine design for 2009 going forward to help fix some/all of these potential problems. My suggestion is buy a car with a warranty and buy an extended warranty if necessary to help provide peace of mind.
  • Thanks kmans. A guy on the Boxster board gave a similar answer - so crossed Boxster off the list.

Do you like any other sports cars '05 or newer that are a good value (Japanese marques would be OK)?

Thanks again
  • mannyljrmannyljr Posts: 20
    I'm going to post this on a couple forums here that fit the question. I've been shopping for a new car particurally a Porsche. I wrote a blog about, want to see it, here it is. http://mannyljr.typepad.com/lizardslair/

Anyway, while my first "love" was a Boxster, I then switched to Cayman for overall better experience, in my mind. Though the longer I read about the engine issues along with the high yearly maintenace costs. My desire seemed to waiver. Then the Nissan 370Z came out, along with a first direct comparo, http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7659

Albeight, it was a 2008 Cayman S against a new Z, but it was fairly done and even though Cayman came in first on most points, the Z was close behind. A new '09 Z with Touring and the Sport Package costs around $38K. If you configured a new Cayman S with the same options, you'd get a car over $70K!

Now, I'm not looking, nor could I afford a $70K car, but the Z has so much going for it at almost half the price. I have to pay attention. My real dilemma is between a 2007 Cayman S or a new 2009 Nissan 370Z.

When I take into the cost of depreciation, yearly maintenace, and insurance costs, what is the better deal? I normally keep my cars a long time. My current "fleet" is my daily driver, 2004 RX-8 Grand Touring, 73K miles, runs and handles great, like new, but I'm wanting more oooomph!. There's the "family" car, 2007 Mazda CX-7, turbo 4 with Nav, 35K miles, the "utility" car, 1999 Honda Civic EX sedan, 140K miles, runs like a champ, and my "beater/project car", 1985 Mazda RX-7, GSL-SE, original owner, 170K fun miles.

I want a car that will either be my main driver for the next 5+ years, so I want/need something to be a daily driver. Keeping maintenance costs reasonable. Allowing some never done, but really want to do autocross and track time.

Thanks for reading my long post. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
    I don't think you are comparing apples to oranges. You can get a practically new 2007 Cayman S for around the same price as a 2009 Nissan 370Z and the Cayman S is a much better all around car. You should really drive them both, magazine articles are often misleading and often prompted by some manufacturers advertising spend with that magazine. I am also not sure what you mean by high yearly maintenance costs for the Cayman, it only requires an oil change every 15K-20K miles at about $200 a change if you do it at your dealer, compare that to every 3K miles in the Z andyou are talking 5-6 oil changes in the Z for every one in the Cayman. There are no engine problems with the Cayman for regularly driven street cars, the only engine problems reported have been from high amounts of track use in high stress situations. I can guarantee you that the Z will have its own share of problems in the same scenarios, so again you need to try to compare apples to apples. Go drive both and see what you like best that is the only way to know for sure which car is right for you. PlanetPorsche.Net can help you with Cayman items.
    I agree with Kman, you need to look a bit deeper. Go drive a Cayman if you haven't yet then decide. It is probably the best balanced car on the road at any price.

I don't know about your financial situation but I don't think that I'd want either car as my everyday driver. If you can pick up a used Accord or something else for the bad weather and to give yourself a break from a small car now and again I would do so.

End of the day both are great cars. Although as you read in the comparo the performance numbers are close, they are not really in the same league. I have had my Cayman S for 3 years and it is the most fun you can have outside of the bedroom. ;)
    After seeing the new 2009 Cayman S with PDK double clutch & 25 extra horses, my heart sank to bottom since I bought a 2008 model last year. I thought I did all the research needed before buying it and I was totally wrong. Who would know what new improvements Porsche have in their sleeve every year?
    There is a site on the web where you can find a Club of Cayman people who can tell you what Porsche has up their sleeve and prevent you from buying something you don't want to buy. :) Well at least they can make good recommendations. All you need to do is Google search for the site (not allowed to post link here). Now with respect to your 2008, it is still a wonderful car, enjoy it and don't worry about what comes out after, heck I'm still loving my 2006!
    Well, I still enjoy driving my 08' Cayman S every time. Maybe I can take comfort in that new changes typically take one or two iterations before car companies fix the teething problems. I hope my 08' Tiptronic will work flawlessly for a long time ..
  • buffyjamesbuffyjames Posts: 2
    You should feel pleased that you have a 2008 Cayman. The 2009's with DFI have serious problems with carboning. I understand that the problem is so bad that severe damage occurs...not covered by Porsche of coarse.
    I haven't followed up with the development of 09' Cayman new feature problems, such as DFI carboning. Curiously, double clutch is a rather new technology that has only been made available by auto manufacturers in the last 2 years, including Porsche. It is certainly reasonable for these technologies to go through teething and maturity cycle. However, DFI has been around much longer and it begs the question why Porsche has such a difficulty in making it reliable?
    My Cayman has now accumulated 4k+ miles. One annoying area I have constant experienced is its subtle but audible rear rattling noise. The dealer tried almost everything in their book, such as replacing rear light assembly and removing the plastic luggage cover (a real flimsy piece in my opinion). Nonetheless, the noise continues when driving on rough surface. Finally the Porsche district representative told me that it is common for all Porsche models to exhibit such a noise due to their stiff suspension. He asked me not to seek warranty repair again. Even more ridiculously, the rep said that this is disclosed in their warranty policy. I can't believe what I heard from the rep and I can't find any disclosure from their warranty booklet. I wonder if there is any current Cayman owner who may have encountered such an experience with their cars?
    This response from your district rep is a crock and shameful. Have you tried calling PCNA HQ directly with this problem? There are a number of things that can cause rattles in the hatch, including a recall on a hatch "thunk" problem. Has that recall be performed on your car?

Let me know if I can help further.
    Sincerely,
    Ken
    K-Man S
    www.planetporsche.net