Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayman S

Comments

• thumper450thumper450 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Tesla,
    Have you checked the +/- leads to the battery terminals? If they're loose they may cause symptoms similar to what you're describing. I don't own a porsche, but I've had the same thing happen to me on different cars before and that's all I had to do to fix it.
  • savantnoirsavantnoir Member Posts: 3
    JUst bought Cayman S PDE-1. LIke anything Porsche, prices can very greatly. Base price on PDE-1 is $69,000. Mine was $88,000. If you ordered every option offered, you could run a Cyamn up to $114,000....but it is one hell of a car and I am having a ball driving it :)
  • clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    Congratulations on your car, I agree that it is a blast to drive. I have had mine for 2 years and I smile every time I drive it.
  • dhsieh9dhsieh9 Member Posts: 44
    I bought this Cayman S on Jan. 2008. I put in about 2000 miles so far. Having owned Bimmer, Mercedes, Lexus & Infiniti in the past, this car by far offers the most fun and exhilaration to drive. The engine puts out an unmistakable note that sounds almost like a symphony orchestra. The car averages 19.7 mpg and I couldn't be more happy given its acceleration & performance. Some complaints I have about this car are body integrity, stereo and Tiptronic buttons. Its rear-end produces rattle noises. I have spent 3 trips to the dealer including a replacement of tail-light assembly under factory service bulletin and they still can fix it. The Tiptronic buttons should really be paddle-shifters mounted on the steering column rather than on the wheel. In many occasions, I inadvertently touched the button and caused it to shift gear. This is not to mention that when turning wheels, the Tiptronic buttons rotate up-side-down and cause total confusion. Lastly, a decent stereo certainly helps. Lastly, I sorely miss a Sun/Moon roof on this Porsche that I take for granted in my other cars.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Tiptronic buttons should really be paddle-shifters mounted on the steering column rather than on the wheel."

That would force you to take your hand off the wheel in a turn in order to shift.

"not to mention that when turning wheels, the Tiptronic buttons rotate up-side-down and cause total confusion."

Keep your hands at the proper 9 and 3 position and you'll never have a problem.

You should sign up for a Porsche driving school. You'll be amazed how well the Porsche is designed for driving (and how much more you'll enjoy your car) when you learn the correct techniques.
    Let assume that you are turning 45 degrees clockwise and you want to downshift, how does 9-3 position help you? Again, inadvertent touch of shift buttons mounting on wheel is very annoying to say the least when you are driving on the freeway. To my knowledge all car manufacturers, including BMW, are using paddle-shifters mounting on the steering column and it is pretty much an industry de facto standard.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "paddle-shifters mounting on the steering column and it is pretty much an industry de facto standard."

I don't know about any industry standards, but I do know that, off the top of my head, Porsche, Mazda, BMW, Jaguar, Mitsubishi, Audi, Acura, Mercedes (AMG), Lexus, and Chevrolet (Corvette) put them on the steering wheel.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Hey Guys,

Kicking around the idea of a used Boxster but I have read that the Boxster engine (same as Cayman?) has a fatal mechanical flaw and can 'let go' requiring complete engine replacement @$10,000+ a pop (out of warranty , of course) - any truth to this?

If so was this corrected in the 2006 and later Boxsters?

Thanks for any advice on buying a used Boxster - was 2006 the last year Porsche made significant upgrades? Years to look at - years to avoid?

(Sorry - posted same in Boxster forum)
  • kmanskmans Member Posts: 20
    The short answer is YES, Boxsters and Caymans from 2005 to 2008. Due to various issues like intermediate shaft failure or cracked pistons, oil starvation, oil ingestion etc. Will all of them fail? No. Will some of them? Yes. Porsche has changed the engine design for 2009 going forward to help fix some/all of these potential problems. My suggestion is buy a car with a warranty and buy an extended warranty if necessary to help provide peace of mind.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Thanks kmans. A guy on the Boxster board gave a similar answer - so crossed Boxster off the list.

Do you like any other sports cars '05 or newer that are a good value (Japanese marques would be OK)?

Thanks again
  • mannyljrmannyljr Member Posts: 20
    I'm going to post this on a couple forums here that fit the question. I've been shopping for a new car particurally a Porsche. I wrote a blog about, want to see it, here it is. http://mannyljr.typepad.com/lizardslair/

Anyway, while my first "love" was a Boxster, I then switched to Cayman for overall better experience, in my mind. Though the longer I read about the engine issues along with the high yearly maintenace costs. My desire seemed to waiver. Then the Nissan 370Z came out, along with a first direct comparo, http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7659

Albeight, it was a 2008 Cayman S against a new Z, but it was fairly done and even though Cayman came in first on most points, the Z was close behind. A new '09 Z with Touring and the Sport Package costs around $38K. If you configured a new Cayman S with the same options, you'd get a car over $70K!

Now, I'm not looking, nor could I afford a $70K car, but the Z has so much going for it at almost half the price. I have to pay attention. My real dilemma is between a 2007 Cayman S or a new 2009 Nissan 370Z.

When I take into the cost of depreciation, yearly maintenace, and insurance costs, what is the better deal? I normally keep my cars a long time. My current "fleet" is my daily driver, 2004 RX-8 Grand Touring, 73K miles, runs and handles great, like new, but I'm wanting more oooomph!. There's the "family" car, 2007 Mazda CX-7, turbo 4 with Nav, 35K miles, the "utility" car, 1999 Honda Civic EX sedan, 140K miles, runs like a champ, and my "beater/project car", 1985 Mazda RX-7, GSL-SE, original owner, 170K fun miles.

I want a car that will either be my main driver for the next 5+ years, so I want/need something to be a daily driver. Keeping maintenance costs reasonable. Allowing some never done, but really want to do autocross and track time.

Thanks for reading my long post. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
    I don't think you are comparing apples to oranges. You can get a practically new 2007 Cayman S for around the same price as a 2009 Nissan 370Z and the Cayman S is a much better all around car. You should really drive them both, magazine articles are often misleading and often prompted by some manufacturers advertising spend with that magazine. I am also not sure what you mean by high yearly maintenance costs for the Cayman, it only requires an oil change every 15K-20K miles at about $200 a change if you do it at your dealer, compare that to every 3K miles in the Z andyou are talking 5-6 oil changes in the Z for every one in the Cayman. There are no engine problems with the Cayman for regularly driven street cars, the only engine problems reported have been from high amounts of track use in high stress situations. I can guarantee you that the Z will have its own share of problems in the same scenarios, so again you need to try to compare apples to apples. Go drive both and see what you like best that is the only way to know for sure which car is right for you. PlanetPorsche.Net can help you with Cayman items.
    I agree with Kman, you need to look a bit deeper. Go drive a Cayman if you haven't yet then decide. It is probably the best balanced car on the road at any price.

I don't know about your financial situation but I don't think that I'd want either car as my everyday driver. If you can pick up a used Accord or something else for the bad weather and to give yourself a break from a small car now and again I would do so.

End of the day both are great cars. Although as you read in the comparo the performance numbers are close, they are not really in the same league. I have had my Cayman S for 3 years and it is the most fun you can have outside of the bedroom. ;)
    After seeing the new 2009 Cayman S with PDK double clutch & 25 extra horses, my heart sank to bottom since I bought a 2008 model last year. I thought I did all the research needed before buying it and I was totally wrong. Who would know what new improvements Porsche have in their sleeve every year?
    There is a site on the web where you can find a Club of Cayman people who can tell you what Porsche has up their sleeve and prevent you from buying something you don't want to buy. :) Well at least they can make good recommendations. All you need to do is Google search for the site (not allowed to post link here). Now with respect to your 2008, it is still a wonderful car, enjoy it and don't worry about what comes out after, heck I'm still loving my 2006!
    Well, I still enjoy driving my 08' Cayman S every time. Maybe I can take comfort in that new changes typically take one or two iterations before car companies fix the teething problems. I hope my 08' Tiptronic will work flawlessly for a long time ..
  • buffyjamesbuffyjames Member Posts: 2
    You should feel pleased that you have a 2008 Cayman. The 2009's with DFI have serious problems with carboning. I understand that the problem is so bad that severe damage occurs...not covered by Porsche of coarse.
    I haven't followed up with the development of 09' Cayman new feature problems, such as DFI carboning. Curiously, double clutch is a rather new technology that has only been made available by auto manufacturers in the last 2 years, including Porsche. It is certainly reasonable for these technologies to go through teething and maturity cycle. However, DFI has been around much longer and it begs the question why Porsche has such a difficulty in making it reliable?
    My Cayman has now accumulated 4k+ miles. One annoying area I have constant experienced is its subtle but audible rear rattling noise. The dealer tried almost everything in their book, such as replacing rear light assembly and removing the plastic luggage cover (a real flimsy piece in my opinion). Nonetheless, the noise continues when driving on rough surface. Finally the Porsche district representative told me that it is common for all Porsche models to exhibit such a noise due to their stiff suspension. He asked me not to seek warranty repair again. Even more ridiculously, the rep said that this is disclosed in their warranty policy. I can't believe what I heard from the rep and I can't find any disclosure from their warranty booklet. I wonder if there is any current Cayman owner who may have encountered such an experience with their cars?
    This response from your district rep is a crock and shameful. Have you tried calling PCNA HQ directly with this problem? There are a number of things that can cause rattles in the hatch, including a recall on a hatch "thunk" problem. Has that recall be performed on your car?

Let me know if I can help further.
    Sincerely,
    Ken
    K-Man S
    www.planetporsche.net
    Yes, It was me who contacted PCNA directly. The rep showed up at the local dealer. No, there wasn't any recall I am aware of nor was I notified by PCNA on my 2008 Cayman S model. I just checked http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm and didn't find any outstanding recall for the 2008 Cayman S.
    My Cayman has been rattle free but a friend of mine had one with the noise that you are describing. He had the rear rubber bushings or stops replaced that are on the bottom of the rear hatch. His car was a 2006, I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed yet.
  • joliver2joliver2 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently being offered a lease on an 08 Cayman and I am trying to decide between an 08 with Titronic transmission and 09 manual.

Does anyone know what a reasonable rate would be for a lease on a brand new 08 at this point?

Are there any differences between the 08 and 09?

WHat are the yearly manitenance costs for a cayman?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
    I own an 08' Cayman S. The followings are my recommendation:

Are there any differences between the 08 and 09?
    >> 2 major changes come into my understanding: 09' has PDK (replacing Tiptronic) & DFI. I have not heard of any outstanding issues with the new PDK. However, there are serious complaints about DFI where carbon deposit clogged the injector in 09's DFI. You may want to investifate it further.

WHat are the yearly manitenance costs for a cayman?
    >> The routine service charged by my local Porsche dealer is outrageous. I have only about 4500 miles on my Cayman S so far. I changed the oil myself at the end of the 1st year with 2000 miles. The total cost was around $80 ( 8 botlles of Mobile 1 W40 synthetic + Porsche oil filter). If I should take it to dealers, they quoted me with something like $750 for the 1st year service (with additional visual inspection & computer calibration, etc., ). But, I seriourly doubt if those items are warranted when it has only 2k miles on it. Nonetheless, I may consider to do it at dealer's at the end of my 2nd year though.
  • medscamedsca Member Posts: 2
    It has been a goal of mine to purchase a porsche. I have finally gotten to the point in my life that I can afford the luxury of another part time vehicle. I am writing for opinion as well as:

What would be the appropriate cost?
    What options should I not be able to live without?
    do i purchase via aucton, dealer( Certified), or third party?
    Is there going to be a major repair cost @ certian mileage on this vehicle?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
    :blush:
    There are many resources here to help you find out pricing, but then to get actual pricing that dealers are giving to buyers you probably need to visit an internet forum. If you search you might find one called Planet Porsche that will have many examples of what people are paying, where they are getting their Porsches from and even what they cost to repair.

I know that 2006 Cayman S's can be had in the 30's now.
  • medscamedsca Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Kmans. I will get onto that site today to further my research.
  • buffyjamesbuffyjames Member Posts: 2
    It will carry the clubs, but one of the bags has to be put on the back shelf behind the seats. The drivers have to be carried out of the bags, but after all of this, the answer is that it will fit. I advise sitting in one and trying it on for size. They are very comfortable seats. I have the optional all leather interior with electric seats.
  • investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    I thought that the synthetic oil that you buy is not the same one that Porsche officially recommends and is used by the authorized Porsche service dealerships?
  • olyshooterolyshooter Member Posts: 1
    What a great sports car! I found this video that really shows the handling and speed of the Cayman S. This guy is filmed using two cameras and it's like you're inside of the car while watching the movie.
    http://vimeo.com/6739005

Oly
    I feel sorry to hear your experience on how Sonnen Porsche treats you. Again, I want to express my sympathy to you & your family on this horrible event. I own a 08' Cayman S. It is still under new car warranty. My local dealer is Stevens Creek Porsche. I have mixing experience dealing with them in the past. The technicians there were great. However, the management left me with much to desire. I have written many threads in Edmond Forum on my issues with Stevens Creek Porsche in fixing recurring cabin noises.

However, what I experienced is in no way comparing to what you are going through. I know that in the last 2-3 years, many high-end car dealers, such as Porsche, were going through tremendous financial difficulty. You can tell by just looking at their left-over inventory from last year. Also, Stevens Creek Porsche closed its Saturday’s service due to lack of business. Your story is especially disturbing for me since I own a Cayman and Sonnen is a an authorized Porsche dealer in Bay Area. I can't imagine if Stevens Creek Porsche would pull the same tactic when my Cayman is out of warranty.

The only suggestion I have for you other than legal action would be to file complaint to BBB (Better Business Bureau) if Sonnen is a member of it. Even that, my experience with BBB's arbitration is that it is somewhat biased towards the business.
  • wamswams Member Posts: 2
    I want to thank you for you kindness and understanding. And I am also sorry if my review has caused distress. I am from San Diego and I take my car to Pioneer Porsche. The service department at Pioneer treats me like I am somebody. I never had any issues with Pioneer Porsche.

I have contacted BBB, BAR and California State Licensing Board for car dealership licensure. If nothing is resolved through the above organization, then my next step will be to hire a attorney and go at Sonnen Porsche/Sonnen Motors for un-specified damages, including re-habitation of my daughter. I am sure there are a handful of good attorneys with trial experience.

Thank you.
  • 07porscheguy07porscheguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Cayman S that bought in early 09 from McKenna Porsche in Norwalk, CA. The vehicle originally had 16k miles on it when I picked it up. Not long after, I notices when I would make quick U-turns or just tight quick turns, the steering wheel would shake bad and there would be a LOUD knocking noise that even passengers could hear and feel. I took it to a couple dealerships and both said that it was due to a drop in power steering pressure at lower speeds and that power steering hoses are knocking against each other and the car and it is very common on Caymans. I also had Porsche USA open a case regarding this issue and was told that they would not do anything about it because it is a common characteristic of the Cayman S. I argued that maybe my vehicle is outside the bell curve regarding the severity and to please take a look at doing SOMETHING, all they could say was that it was common and that they are not willing to do anything. As far as I'm concerned, I will never even consider buying another Porsche again. They are just not worth it!
  • chuckie_lchuckie_l Member Posts: 11
    Hi all, my first post. Like long porsche fan finally able to dip in. Looking to buy (from a GM dealer owner) a well preserved 08 S, 6 speed, (no chrono). Looks great but down side is that it has 80,000 kms and is off warranty. That's the part I am uncomfortable with. Can anyone offer me some advice or insight into the longer term reliability of the Cayman, or Boxster I guess would compare, so i have some sense of what I might be in for...good or bad???
    I used to own a Tiptronic '08 Cayman S. I sold it after 2 1/2 years with only 6k miles. One of the main reasons I sold it is because the Cayman in my opinion is not as well built as other 911. As a matter of fact, both Cayman & Boxer are manufactured by Finland's Valmet Automotive, not by Porsche itself. The Cayman I sold has many body integrity noises that Porsche dealer was never able to fix. The most ridiculous thing I heard was that after complaining to the Porsche North America, they told me that those noises are inherent to ALL Porsche models due to their stiff suspension. Go figure that out.

If you are buying a 80k miles Cayman, this is probably not a big issue since you are going to hear those noises any way. However, I’ll NEVR buy a new Porsche, period.
  • steven48steven48 Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I am considering purchasing a Porsche Cayman, but I read somewhere that it does not come with a spare tire, is that true? Does the Porsche come with "run flats". Thanks.
    -Steven
    No spare & no run flats on Cayman.
    I have an 08 S, I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. Two sets of clubs will definately not fit in my car unless I there are no people in it!
    I'm a newbie to this and hoping I can get some good advice re. winter storage. I recently bought an 08 Porsche Cayman S (still grinning!). In another month the snow flies here so I want to store it in my heated garage for 6 months. This is what I think I need to do:

1. Fuel stabilizer and run it through for a bit to get it in the injectors.
    2. Disconnect battery and attach a battery tender
    3. Apply a tire protectant to the tires to prevent cracking
    4. Jack it up on stands
    5. Put a cover on it.

Thoughts??

Also, if I get a good clean day or two during the winter I wonder if I should take it out and drive it or is it better to leave it??

Thanks all............Chuckie
    anyone have solid info on how to get a little more hp out of an 08 Cayman S without breaking the bank? Exhaust? Chip? others?
    so do you still own that 08 CS? ever consider a performance chip? I am but need more info.
  • mannyljrmannyljr Member Posts: 20
    Hi Chuckie,
    I own an '07 Cayman S and also interested in giving a little more power. I found a great resource with a lot more information than on the Edmund forums for Porsches. Try planet-9.com. It may be the largest Porsche forum around and has a lot more information to browse through than here.
    Thanks for the tip M. I'll go check it out. did you find anything out re more performance?
    Hi yup I still have the 08 CS I love it. I am considering a chip but find i get conflicting inof re real improvement, damage to stock systems, etc.
  • arealcarnutarealcarnut Member Posts: 2
    I beg to differ with you regarding "no engine problems with the Cayman for regularly driven street cars". This is blatantly false and misleading. Anyone who is not super rich and is considering a Porsche because they love sports cars should think twice. Don't take my word for it, google 'cayman engine failure'. Porsche will not be forthcoming about why your Cayman blows white smoke and by the time you learn the truth it will be too late. Do your research before you buy a Boxster or Cayman. Good Luck.
    I once owned a new 08' Cayman S ans sold it after just 6k miles at a huge depreciation loss. The reson is because its build quality was far inferior than that of Porsche's braed-n-butter 911. Cayman was actually out-sourced by Porsche and assembled in Finland by Valmet, a no-name heavy equipment manufacturer with no automotive expertise.

I currently has a 01' 911 and other German cars like BMW, Mercedes. Among all of these dealers, Porsche is by far the most arrogant and could care less about their customers when it comes to protecting their mis-happens about quality. My advise for those who want own one of those German luxury cars, get a Consumer Report's latets Auto issue and you'll know how poor their relaibility is.
  • ravyravy Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I have been trying to own a Cayman from past few months and could not find a good deal.

Recently i found a 2006 Cayman S with 59,000 mls and price $33,500.

It went through the 60,000 miles service and it got the following things replaced on it.

4 new tires.
    oil filters
    wiper blades
    spark plug
    cabin air filter
    air filter inser
    ribbed v-belt

it has got CPO warranty.

I am not pretty much sure if i need to get this car or not.

Kindly need your advice in making decision.

I would be really thankful for your advice.

Thanks in advance,
    Ravy
    Ravy,
    That price is a little high for a 2006 with that many miles, should be closer to $30,000, but it could depend upon condition, the options the car has, and of course it comes with a CPO warranty. To better advise you I'd need to know a couple more things:

1) Did you have the dealer do an ECU readout/printout? This will show any over-revs the engine may have had during it's lifetime thus far. You don't want to buy without this info.

2) What options are on the car.

3) What dealer is selling it and how long does the CPO warranty last for?

With those items I could better advise you on what to do.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    edited December 2012
    Good News:
    - Great looking car inside and out - the improvements are spot on, IMO.
    - Lost weight - down to 2,910 lbs in an era where the competition is overweight.
    - Best handling Porsche made this side of a $350k Carrera GT.

Bad News:
    - At $80k with decent options, only $5k less than I can pick up a base 911 for. Discounts for the next 6+ months will likely be limited to a free Porsche hat.
    - Only up 5 hp from previous model, likely because Porsche is worried that no one will buy a base 911 if the Cayman S is faster.

What to do, what to do??? Base 991 w/MSRP of $97k for $84k; order Cayman S w/MSRP of $80k for $80k (and a free hat).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    What to do, what to do???

I feel for you, brother... tough choices... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator