Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

1212223242527»

Comments

• calgcalg Member Posts: 53
    This noise happens first thing in the morning with our 2006 Pilot only when it is very cold outside... usually below zero. It also happened when we had our 2003 Pilot. I have no idea what it is, but it has never caused us any problems. We had 60,000 miles on our 03 when we traded it and now have nearly 30,000 on our 06. I remember asking a friend who has an 04 and she said hers did it as well. Hope this helps.
  • rekhrekh Member Posts: 47
    Thank you very much for your informative reply.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk to Honda owners who researched safety ratings before making their purchase. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, March 29, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
  • cubanpete2cubanpete2 Member Posts: 6
    I am currently looking at 2005 and 2006 Honda Pilots to buy. Somehow, I am getting different info from every dealer I talk to. I want Four Wheel Drive. I see Pilots on the street that have "4WD" designated on the left or right of rear door. Some dealers tell me "they're all 4WD" some dealers tell me "you don't need 4WD because they have "all wheel drive" on every one." Can someone please tell me what the story is? I need maximum bad weather and rough road capability, though I don't plan to off-road intentionally. I use a lot of back country roads that aren't always plowed well, have very poor surface etc. and had peace of mind with a Chevy I used to have with 4WD (the rest was garbage...) but I am not getting a straight answer from Honda Pilot sellers. Thanks. CubanPete
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I own a 2006 Pilot 4WD and here is what I know. Up to and including 2005 model year, all Pilots were built as all wheel drives. From 2006 on, they come in 2WD and 4WD, as you have noticed marked on the right hand corner. There operation is 4wheel drive as needed and determined by the computer unless you switch to on demand 4WD when stuck in mud or rough terrain driving. Someone please correct me if I am missing something.
    BTW, since you are looking at 05 or 06, depending on the price, see if you can go with 06 model since it changed a bit from the 04/05 model.
  • summer336summer336 Member Posts: 3
    We own a 2006 EX with about 11,600 miles on it. We live in the country and though we don't have a lot of traffic to deal with, we do have hilly roads and some 3,000 ft. mountains that we normally navigate. We get 21 mpg consistently under these conditions. Normally we're not heavy on the gas pedal.

We just got back from visiting our kids for Christmas, driving at least two hours at a time, switching drivers; then back on the road. We used major highways, traveling at 55 mph or 65 mph using cruise control. We were pleasantly surprised to get 23.8 mpg and technically, the motor isn't even broken in yet!

We took readings on the return trip and they were consistent with nearly 24 mpg. We dropped down to 20 mpg when we got caught in heavy traffic backups in Chicago, but under those conditions, that wasn't bad. We're happy! I think the trick is to use Cruise when you can and stay at 65. :)
    We own a 2006 Pilot EX with 11,600 miles on the odometer. We don't deal with traffic jams, but live in hilly and mountainous terrain. We generally get 21 mpg under these conditions.

We just got back from a trip one way of 800 miles, using major highways. We travel at either 55 or 65 mph as posted and use cruise control. To our happy surprise, we clocked almost 24 mpg---consistently over several fill ups. One tank gave us 20 mpg, but we had hit slow and heavy traffic in Chicago on that tank, creeping along at five and ten miles an hour for 15/20 minute periods. I think the trick is to use cruise and keep your Pilot at 65 mph. I think I read that advice from another post as well. Happy New Year! :)
    Do you have 2WD or 4WD?
    I have an 06 Pilot EXL, 4WD w/ navi. Lately I have noticed that the picture quality on the screen is with some kind of haze or a little cloudy looking. It is not a dirty lense as the haze or the see though clouds are not static, I am not sure if I can describe this any better but I will try if any of you need better explanation. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it before I have to make to trip to the dealer? It is still under warranty but sometimes I prefer not to take it in unless I have to! Thanks.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Nah, not an idiot. It's just confusing.

AWD and true 4WD are different. AWD just means power can be transferred to all wheels. Sedans and sports cars have AWD, not 4WD. Typically AWD systems are on demand, which means they are mostly FWD or RWD unless the system senses the wheels slipping, and then transfers power to the wheels with more grip. Honda's system is primarily FWD but can send up to 50% of power to the rear wheels. If the system gets confused however, and does not properly transfer power you will get stuck. The Pilot does have a center lock up torque converter which sends power to both the front and rear wheels, but as best as I can tell it will not send power equally to all 4 wheels (I could not find any information when I looked anyway)

Let me explain. 4WD is what is typically on trucks and SUVs and is in some ways less sophisticated than AWD. It sends power equally everywhere regardless of conditions. A lot of 4WD trucks and SUVs that are used off road will have front and rear differentials that lock up so power is distrubuted equally to all 4 wheels. This is desireable in low traction situations, but in reality most SUVs never see this (or ever leave the pavement)

I have taken my pilot off road in snow and in sand and it does well and probably would be ok in most situations, but if truly maximum capability is what you're looking for, you probably want an truck based SUV with 4WD and not the Pilot. Try the Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner, or their bigger siblings. Jeeps and Range Rovers are great off road vehicles if you don't need a reliable car. :D

Good luck. Hope this helps!
    tom
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Let me explain. 4WD is what is typically on trucks and SUVs and is in some ways less sophisticated than AWD. It sends power equally everywhere regardless of conditions. A lot of 4WD trucks and SUVs that are used off road will have front and rear differentials that lock up so power is distrubuted equally to all 4 wheels. This is desireable in low traction situations, but in reality most SUVs never see this (or ever leave the pavement)

The only thing I would add to this is that many SUV's and trucks also have a 4Auto (or some similar name) setting that does not send power equally to all wheels, but rather redistributes on demand, much like AWD vehicles. I know Ford and GM has these features, at least. These vehicles also typically have a 4Hi setting that does what tsy states.

Good luck.
    Sorry for not getting back sooner. We own a 4WD.
    No problem, thanks.
    Anyone with one of these who has noticed a picture quality issue? The one on my 06 Pilot does not have a clear picture, it looks like a tv with a loose antenna cable. It was not like this before and the lense is clean. Any ideas?
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I will post a short review of the vehicles I'm going to be checking out at the Phialdelphia Auto Show on 1/29/2012. I like being able to toy with all the stuff, look under the hood and basically become a vehicle proctologist without having a sales person breathing over me. After the Auto Show, if the vehicle survives the "Cut List" I then do a road test at a local dealer. I have about 15-20 vehicles on a list as a replacement for "The Beast" (my '06 Honda Pilot EX-OR) and plan on cutting the list down to about 5 after the Auto Show. So these 5 will be the vehicles I will do the reviews on. I will post a "Why Cut" reasoning behind why each vehicle on my list got cut.

I will post a link to a photo album (will be public) on my facebook page after I get done uploading pictures.

Odie
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    How has your mileage been now that you have owned your vehicle for awhile?

I keep a track record of my gas mileage with "The Beast" and have been a constant 16-20mpg depending on where I go. Best I have ever gotten was 26mpg and the worst was 5mpg.

Odie
    "The Beast" - 2006 Honda Pilot EX-OR