Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot 2006

natharnathar Member Posts: 10
Anyone seen any news on the 2006 Honda Pilot? This is the only thing I've found:

"The Pilot is set for a mid model change in 2006. From what we've been hearing the styling upgrade should be fairly extensive. You can also expect to see VCM (Variable Cylinder Management), Curtain Airbags and 2WD trim levels. XM you ask? We don't have a confirmation but we believe it will be standard on select models. The first 2006 arrivals will be in September."

I'm in the market for a Pilot, but I'd like to know what the 2006 model will bring before I decide on the 2005.

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Expect Honda to be hush-hush, so you won't have much info leaked.

You can wait until August for the screaming deals on the outgoing Pilot...

And check out the 06 Pilots too...
  • jwcostajwcosta Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I realize we can all speculate on what the 2006 Pilot will bring, but my hope is that Honda will allow for BOTH the navigation system AND the rear DVD entertainment system in one model, rather than making the consumer choose between them. You can buy a 2005 model with the navi system and then have the DVD system installed after the fact, but they install the actual DVD player under the driver's seat instead of in the dash. This is VERY inconvenient and I would never do this. Imagine being on a trip with young kids and they decide they want to continually change the DVDs? The driver would have to pull over to change them. Let's hope Honda gets this straight in 2006.
  • toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    Hopefully.... a boost in horsepower
    Side airbag curtains
    Standard XM radio
    New taillights
    Perhaps a Special Edition Model - more bells for fewer $$
    Not too much new anticipated

It will need to compete with the new Hyundai Santa Fe which will be released later this year or early next. This company clearly has its eyes set on Honda and may be a formidable competitor.
  • lumber2lumber2 Member Posts: 184
    Why not get a dvd changer?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    it's the styling. Sure most vehicles in it's class look boring, (Highlander, Freestyle) but Honda's Pilot looks even more boring and bland than the other two. Hopefully they'll inject some style into a redesign. Honda went the right way with the Element's styling, it would help if they could apply that kind of design philosophy to the Pilot.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    When the Pilot was released, there was no Freestyle, so the Pilot was really aimed at the mainstream Explorer. Comparing the two of those, the Pilot is very similar in styling IMO. We have a sister to the Pilot, the MDX. The MDX is a little more stylish but the pilot is much more spacious escpecially in the 3rd row. My point is that the Pilot is a utilitarian design, want more style, check out the MDX. Or even moreso, if you don't need seating for 7, check out the new RDX which should be priced around the same as a Pilot EX-L. Looks to be pretty sharp looking as well. :D
  • r2d2_3cpor2d2_3cpo Member Posts: 11
    Don't be surprised to see some similar styling to that of the Ridgeline show up in the 2006 Pilot...not that I am a fan of the Ridgeline's looks. :(
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Are you basing this on the reports on HondaPreivew or some other intel?
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I do hope they restyle the Pilot to look more like the Ridgeline. I remember the 1st generation CRV, plain styling that doesn't offend anybody. To be replaced by a boxy utilitarian styled 2nd gen. CRV, The old CRV looks great, but its been years and just about all I have seen on the road look long on the tooth. I like the styling of my 04 EXL , it only has 7,000 miles and is 12 months old, A mid model redesign should make the 1st gen. Pilot not too common on the road. Great SUV , except for a suspect transmission and a cumberson rear hatch for a $30K vehicle.
  • peterclaverpeterclaver Member Posts: 13
    Anyone has any more info on the 06 models potentially getting -
    1. VCM (as in the Ody)
    2. Stability Control (even the 05 CR-V LX has it standard now)

How radical could a 'fairly extensive' styling upgrade be for Honda ?
  • tcp27705tcp27705 Member Posts: 14
    My '05 EX-L has stability control.

As far as the style is concerned, I really like the 2005 Pilot. The 2 things I would have changed would be the addition of side curtain airbags and a better color selection.

The '05 blue is pretty dull - I would much rather have had the blue that is available on the '05 Odyssey. The '05 red looks nice, but only comes with the ivory interior, which my wife did not like.
    I agree, the present Honda Pilots have excellent styling, almost like a timeless style that would not go obsolete, like the 1st gen. CRV. However some would prefer a more agressive utilitarian design , which I think only belongs to Truck base SUVs.
  • lfanlfan Member Posts: 61
    Referencing Consumer Guide Review of the '05 Pilot (link below), Honda listed some possible changes:

1) VCM
    2) Side curtain air bags
    3) Standard stability control across whole line (not just EX-L)
    4) Some exterior trim updates(?)

I purchased my '05 EX-L knowing these potential changes. It would be nice to have the additional features, particularly the side curtain air bags. But the '05 is a fine vehicle in of itself. There's always new features/content each year given the annual incremental updates that Honda and most other makes are now adapting during each model design cycle.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38135/
  • r2d2_3cpor2d2_3cpo Member Posts: 11
    More on gut feel than on intel. Seems that Honda would want to optimize costs by using components and design work already in the Ridgeline when they redo the 2006 Pilot. We'll see what happens :D .
  • kimw2kimw2 Member Posts: 1
    As a mom of two young children (1 & 3) I cannot agree with you more! I am in the market for a new Pilot and am waiting for the '06 model for a few reasons. (Side curtain airbags, better colors, exterior styling etc..) I like the EX-L and was set on the DVD player, but recently changed my mind. A friend of mine has an Odyssey with the DVD player and unless the screen is angled "just so" her 3 small children cannont see it. She is constantly pulling over to adjust the screen. Upon hearing this, it made my decision much easier...I'm going with the navi. system and an after market (non-Honda) quality DVD player with a larger screen. (BestBuy has a lot of great options). I'd like the DVD player to make my life easier, not more difficult!
  • jwcostajwcosta Member Posts: 7
    On the after market DVD players, where is the DVD loading system mounted? Is it in the dash (like on the Odyssey) or is it somewhere in the rear of the car? Are there any that can be mounted in the dash of the '05 Pilot?
    Honda preview has posted some trim and color info. Looks like Amazon Green with green interior a la Ridgeline will be avaialble. All trims come in 2WD and 4WD. Now I wonder if it looks like a Ridge.

For the front treatment (headlights, grill, that would not be a bad thing.

It would be nice if they added some of the interior updates found in the Ridgeline too but that might be too much to expect from a mid model refresh.
    I like the interior of the Ridge better than the Pilot - specifically the open dash with no center console. It seems to enhance freedom of leg movement - I am not a fan of the center console rubbing my leg.

As for 2WD versions - as long as it has VSA with it, it is probably a good bet for states that do not see a lot of snow. And it would save $ on initial purchase and gas. But you would essentially have a cramped minivan in Ute clothes. Probably not great for resale.
  • pup975pup975 Member Posts: 13
    Does any one know how good the VCM is at saving gas? I heard that the Odyssey's VCM doesn't help a whole lot on gas. I am trying to decide between getting an '05 when they are going on clearance versus buying a 2WD '06 when they come out. I live in Alabama, so the 4WD really isn't necessary. I am assuming that I can get the '06 2WD for about the same price or a bit more than the '05 4WD, but save in the long run with the 2WD '06. Any thoughts?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Well, time will tell, but I honestly think the 2WD model is not going to do much better than AWD due to the fact that the AWD Pilot only runs AWD when it finds it necessary. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 90-95% of the time, its operating in FWD only mode. SO, I'm anticipating somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2 mpg increase in economy (mostly due to the decreased weight). In my opinion, the gas savings would not make up for the money lost at resale time (depending on the initial cost difference - but this assertion is based on your assumption that you can get an AWD now for the same as a FWD later ... in which case I think the AWD will be worth MORE later).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

By going 2WD, the savings would be probably between $2K to $3K over a 4WD Pilot, I think you will be able to get an "06" 2WD Pilot for less money than a "05" Pilot 4WD. I bought an April 04 Pilot EXL for $1500 above invoice. My sister bought a Dec. 04 "05 Pilot EX" for $500 above invoice, a much bigger savings and it was only 2 months into the new model year, somehow suddenly Pilot prices here in Southern California took a nose dive when the "05" came out. The SUV market is now soft, and will continue to be soft for a long time
  • zen76zen76 Member Posts: 12
    Any idea if we are going to get Michelin® PAX® on Pilot too. I would love to drive a car that can do 50mph on a Flat Tyre...
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    You might want to read the Ody board for some of the concerns on the PAX tires. Unlike the Toyota run flats, the Michelins are a very unique size that means you cannot substitute another tire in an emergency. Also, the PAX tires are only capable of going so far at a certain speed. Some on vacations have been stranded by a flat on Friday night. Whereas with a regular tire, you could get another tire on Saturday, with a PAX, you are stuck until the nearest honda or Michelin dealer opens and then you better hope they have a PAX tire. Supposedly, all Honda dealers have ONE PAX in a box already mounted on a wheel (since it requires special and expensive equipment to mount PAX tires) waiting for somebody to come in.

Frankly, I wouldn't have a vehicle with a PAX on it until they are more widely used. BTW remember that the Odys with PAX have no spare so when you hit the mileage limit of the PAX after it is flat, you are stuck.
  • aaj_hondaaaj_honda Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know when will Pilot go Hybrid ? Would love to see the increase in fuel economy ... What I am waiting for is..

Hybrid
    DVD + Navigation System in same Pilot
    XM Satellite radio
    Wireless connectivity..

When will this happen ?
    Suprised we have not seen any spy shots of the '06 Pilot. Did I miss them?
    just look at pics of the '03-'05.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I thought this was the year of the mid model refresh for the Pilot and there are to be some interior and exterior styling changes rumored as well as 2WD models to go alongside the 4WD.

I am hoping it looks a bit more like the Ridgeline in the grill and headlights and interior.

At latest we will know in September '05 when the '06 models come out.
    I'm not familiar with Honda's history, but is it normal for them to change the styling after just 3 model years? Seems excessive to me, but what the heck do i know?

It probably will not be a radical change. But Honda has a well known pattern of 5 years for each model with a large-sh styling and sometimes added feature change in year 4 and 5. The changes are often limited to headlight, tail light design but sometimes extend to new drive trains, horsepower bumps, audio features, etc.

If you think about the current iteration of the Civic, you can see the pattern pretty clearly.

Since this is year 4 of 5 for the Pilot, a change of some sort is expected.
    don't forget they've added features every year so far, though. AND a horsepower bump was made last year.

• chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    I heard those rumors as well. Do you think the 2WD model will be FWD or RWD ???
    I honestly did not even consider RWD for the 2WD model. The only RWD Honda is the S2000.

I am guessing that the 2WD variant of a Pilot, if made, will be like the 2WD variants of the CR-V and Element - FWD. But that is just a guess.

In my opinion, 2WD combined with VSA might not be too bad a combo outside heavy snow country or trail duty.
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    "I thought this was the year of the mid model refresh for the Pilot and there are to be some interior and exterior styling changes rumored as well as 2WD models to go alongside the 4WD.
    I am hoping it looks a bit more like the Ridgeline in the grill and headlights and interior
    ."

According to a few sources I've read (all from Canada, actually), you'll get your wish. :shades: Here's what one had to say:

"Here are some notes from ******* ***** that was up at the Honda Of Canada
    Production plant last week and he got to look and the new Civic and
    revisions to Pilot (all new Pilot comes next year)
    Pilot details: New items - Back lit dash i.e. Accord - Rear entertainment
    system i.e. Odyssey - No front/rear filler panels above bumper - more
    vertical front end i.e. Ridgeline - smaller high intensity headlight bulbs
    in different designed housing - clear rear tail light lenses - grill
    similar to Ridgeline but solid horizontal bars - all new front/rear bumpers
    - very nice looking new alloy wheel
    " (from CarSpyShots.net).

Just to confirm what others here have written, standard rollover-sensing side curtain airbags, Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), XM Satellite Radio, and 2WD models will most definitely be available. The standard Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) rumor has yet to be confirmed (to my knowledge, anyway), but is very possible. ;)

Take care,

Mike
    Thanks Mike - sounds very interesting!
    I'm confused on a couple of these details. Maybe someone can clarify for me.

Back lit dash i.e. Accord

ummm... as opposed to what? using a flashlight to see it? Is it NOT backlit now? I could have sworn it is.

Rear entertainment system i.e. Odyssey

Now I'm POSITIVE a RES is already available on the Pilot. Is it a different version?

The Accord and Ody have a LED illuminated set of gauges that is brighter than the current pilot.

I too did not understand what was meant by the RES option beyond what is currently available.

Since the info is a re-post from elsewhere its hard to know what exactly the original author meant.
  • onlysurferonlysurfer Member Posts: 96
    Any possibility 06 pilot would change dimention and be longer then current one? If so, it'd a -ve from my perspective. Ridgeline is too long...
  • kristie03kristie03 Member Posts: 1
    I am really considering a 2006 Honda Pilot. I know it sounds silly, but I'm not a fan of the current front row headrests with the cutout hole. Any chance the 2006 will have a more Accord-like headrest?
    I have no inside info but I would say increasing the wheelbase would be more of a full model change that occurs every 5 years rather than a mid model referesh that happens in the last 2 years.

But like many other Honda fans, I always hope they will make some little change that is important to me when the new models come out!
    "Any possibility 06 pilot would change dimention and be longer then current one? If so, it'd a -ve from my perspective. Ridgeline is too long..."

No, if the '06 length changes at all it will only be because of the bumper modifications.

An all-new Pilot will supposedly be out next year. Honda might then take the oppurtunity to switch the Pilot to the "global truck platform" (on which the Ridgeline is built), possibly increasing the size a bit.

Mike
    I would guess the revised Pilot in 06 would go 06 and 07 and an all new Pilot would be in 08. But just a guess.
    "Now I'm POSITIVE a RES is already available on the Pilot. Is it a different version?"

Yep, it's different. The Odyssey's has a 2" larger screen and some unique features (such as a faceplate that can be released separately and used as a remote control). I have to assume that's what the original author meant.

Mike
    "I would guess the revised Pilot in 06 would go 06 and 07 and an all new Pilot would be in 08. But just a guess."

Maybe so. It was so hard to get information on the 2006, I think everyone's just guessing now....

Have a great evening, Joe! :D
    Mike
    Kristie,
    I haven't the foggiest idea as to what the seats will look like - but you're right: the current ones look really weird! I personally would like to see some active head restraints for better whiplash protection. The '07 Hyundai Santa Fe will have them, so, who knows...?
    I'll reply back to you once I find out, 'k?

Mike
    Here is a spy shot of the facelifted '06 Pilot. For the full article (with additional shots) and photos of the upcoming '07 Acura RDX, click here.

Kristie, it appears that the front-seat head restraints do have a "peep-hole" in them. But from what I can see, the design seems to have changed. Kinda hard to tell, though....

Enjoy!

Mike
  • ops1ops1 Member Posts: 25
    I am planning to buy an suv for my business before the end of the year and would love to get the Pilot for all the reasons people seem to love this vehicle. The 2005 Pilot has a GVWR of 5,954 lbs which means it won't qualify for certain tax treatment (must be 6,000 lbs). Any word on wether the 2006 will be a little heavier? I am hoping that the redesigned front, additional airbags and other changes will cause the weight to exceed the threshold.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Are you sure about 5954 lbs?

The Honda website lists the Curb Weight as 4414 for the LX and 4431 for the EX.

5954 lbs. is a lot!! Only full size trucks approach that kind of weight. A Navigator is 6000 lbs, an H2 is 6400, and an Escalade is around 5600 lbs. No way the new Pilot will even approach 6000 lbs, it'll need a V8 for power. 255 horses won't cut it.
  • ops1ops1 Member Posts: 25
    I don't know how to paste a link to another discussion, but if you go back to the Honda Pilot forum and search "gross weight," there are a bunch of posts about this topic. The additional deduction under Section 179 is based on the gross vehicle weight rating. Your numbers appear to be curb weights (for example, the Navigator has a gross weight of 7,450; Escalade is 7,000)). The current Pilot comes close, but unlike the Ridgeline,Pathfinder, 4Runner, and Cadillac SRX, it does not qualify.
    "Any word on wether the 2006 will be a little heavier?"

No, nothing yet. 'Course, 46 lbs really isn't all that much, so I figure it's possible. Even a slight (favorable) revision in the payload capacity rating or some other, relatively minor alteration could do it.
    Have you noticed that all V8 4WD Toyota 4Runners qualify... by 5 lbs! ;)

Mike
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The IRS closed the tax loophole for large SUVs...