Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rxcaptrxcapt Member Posts: 17
    1.) Color cladding is coming, but The cladding on Tucson looks very sharp and is not like some others.
    2.) Yes they sell an extended warranty. The standard powertrain warranty (engine/transmission) is 10yrs/100,000. For about $1000 you can get the entire car for 10yrs/100,000 (some dealers will go as low as $900 on the warranty).
    3.) I have about 4,500 miles on my V6 Tucson and here in the DC Metro area, mostly trips less than 20 miles in traffic, I get about 20mpg. On a trip down to Va. Beach (~200miles) I got about 22-24mpg. Not too bad, but it is not a fuel mizer. It really needs a 5speed for long trips, but they do not offer one (yet).
    4.) I am tall and I think the rear seating is fine in Tucson. As for cargo I have carried a fair amount of odd sized stuff in mine, including about 15 bags of pine bark mulch, Easy to load and unload.
    5.) I would not expect a big change in 2006. There are rumors of a new engine, and possibly a 5 speed coming but that may not be until 2007-not sure. I throughly enjoy mine.

The CR-V is fine, but to be honest, it seems a bit tinny in construction, especially the doors seem weak. The Tucson is very stable and feels solid to drive. It is no sports car make no mistake. As for the comments about reliability, I would mention something the CR-V salesman told me when I told him I was looking at a Tucson, he sneered and said "If you make a good car you don't need a good warranty". To which I said "If you make a good car you can AFFORD a good warranty." Obviously we did not have a good test drive after that, hope this helps!
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    If you implying that the Tucson will be just as reliable as the CRV and that Honda could not afford to warrantee the CRV for 10 years, I disagree. Honda does not need to offer a 10 year warranty in order to sell the car. Hyundai does.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    You are right, Honda does not NEED to offer a 10 year warranty to sell their cars. If they can sell without it, it is more money in their pocket and less in yours...

All this is question of perception. Hyundai is still somewhat stuck with the image of the Pony. Even tough their cars are just as reliable as any others today, the perception is still there and to shake away this perception, they have to provide a longer warranty.

Honda, on the other hand, sells on the excellent reputation they built in the 80's and 90's. In those years their cars were so much more reliable than the american and european cars that the public still perceive them today as more reliable than most others. They may still have an edge but at most it is a very small one. They have cut cost a lot in the last few years... ;)

With the much lower price and longer warranty of the Tucson, for me the choice was obvious.
    We just got 25mpg in mixed driving on our first tank in our new '06 CRV-SE (AWD). Assuming 20mpg in a Tucson..

at 12K miles/year and $2.50/gallon you would save $300/year in the CR-V
    at 12K miles/year and $3.00/gallon you would save $360/year in the CR-V
    at 15K miles/year and $2.50/gallon you would save $375/year in the CR-V
    at 15K miles/year and $3.00/gallon you would save $450/year in the CR-V

You get the idea. The initial "much lower price" of purchasing a Tucson rapidly disappears over the first years of ownership. Not to mention resale value where the Honda will be guaranteed to hold up, same can't be said of the Hyundai.

Don't get me wrong, the Tucson is a great little car. I almost bought one. Good luck with yours and I hope for your sake you are correct. I just felt the Honda was a financially better choice.
    You have a good point comparing the CRV to a 6 cyl. Tucson.
    Ours is the 4 cyl. and we get 23.5 mpg in mostly city driving.

The CR-V is certainly a very good vehicle. I owned one of the first ones to get here in March 97. I owned it for 4 years and had nothing to complain about reliability wise.

Enjoy your CR-V! :)
    No, I was not implying that at all, I was implying that the Honda salesman was immediately threatened when he heard the name Hyundai had to counter with an immediate comment that 1) belitted the Hyundai and 2) was a backhand Honda compliment. THAT was the point I was making.
    The point has been made, but why not again, the trick of comparing a 4cylinder CR-V to a 6cylinder Tucson and then decrying the mileage is a tired one. I would point out one thing that is always on the CR-V forums...a wish for a V-6 option!

Enjoy your CR-V, I love my Tucson, V-6 mileage (and extra horsepower) and all. :)
    The reason I compared the V6 Tucson to the I4 CR-V is that those are the top trim levels that I was cross shopping. You cannot get the loaded Tucson with a I4. And your "extra horsepower" has no real world significance (i.e. no appreciable performance gain). 170-something horsepower for a V6 is pretty poor if you ask me anyway, especially for the mileage you get in return.
    Ultimately it is a matter of opinion. Still you could have made your comparison a bit more relevant if you had indicated upfront you were comparing an I4 to a V6. A casual reader would not have known that, irrespective of your opinion as to real world relevance, it is something people do consider. If the shoe was on the other foot you would certainly call it CR-V bashing if this type of information was left out. Besides to quote Shakespeare "me doeth think you protest too much".
    just relaying my reasoning behind buying the CR-V over the Hyundai. As I said before, the Tucson is a great little truck and I hope you are happy with it. From my perspective, you are the one the doeth protest too much.
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Regarding Not Protesting and Mileage Math... I think one interesting point about this debate is that we're going on and on over two FOREIGN CARS... No American SUVs are even getting a mention. As for me, the last four cars I owned were American. All were duds.

I bought a 2005 Tucson GLS with the V6 in August. First BRAND NEW car I've owned in 42 years of driving. I LOVE it. We compared the Tucson to a friend's CRV and liked the Hyundai's added safety features, ride and the fit & finish both inside and outside. Style is not a major consideration since we drive cars at least 7-10 years. Plus, the Tucson was about $6,000 less than the CRV. Have almost 5,800 miles on it now and absolutely NO problems. If it keeps up that way, I'll be a brand-loyal customer.
    What added safety features does the Tucson have that the CRV does not?
    Stability control?
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Stability Control, Traction Control, six airbags, standard driving lights, heated windshield wipers, electronic brake force distribution and a spare tire that's not mounted on the tailgate raising the center of gravity. At least that's what I thought in August.
    CR-V has stability control, traction control and electronic brake force distribution. I hardly see the spare tire thing as a safety issue. Ditto heated windshield wipers (might get you going sooner in the morning but as long as you have a brain and don't drive with your windshield iced over it is not a safety issue, more of a convenience issue).

CRV is also proven safe in crash testing. Tucson has yet to be tested.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The Tucson has been tested and received 5 stars across the board.

Tucson Crash Test

;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    ..but this is a prices paid forum for the Tuscon..

We have a lot of forums available for comparing the Tuscon and CR-V... or, just to discuss the Tuscon's many attributes...

So, let's move it on over there...

thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aladinlampaladinlamp Member Posts: 2
    I paid $17099 (= 22099(MSRP) - 2000(dealer disc.) - 1000(customer cash rebate) - 1000(Hyundai finance rebate) - 500(Hyundai royalty rebate) - 500(trade-in of 98 Elantra with dead transmission)).
    As mentioned in the title, this is 2005 model, not 2006.
    I drove it upto 500 miles so far and I really like it.
    My cash on it was worthwhile.
  • purplewolfpurplewolf Member Posts: 1
    worth the price or not? Thanks for your opinion!

Purplewolf
  • apvapv Member Posts: 2
    Hi All; I called about 7 or 8 dealerships for a "bid" on a 2006 Tucson (I told them I was calling multiple dealers for bids)...
    The lowest "bid" that I was told was their "final offer" and was $22,500 + sales tax (freight and PDI included in price quoted). These are Canadian dollars btw :)

I sent my brother in, for a quick test and he was given a quote of $25,500 + sales tax.
    So should I assume that my quote for a 2006 GL 2.0L FWD - Air Pkg MANUAL is a really good deal even though it is above MSRP (but the lowest of 8 dealerships) or should I expect to save a bit more if I keep at them. I was hoping to pay $22,000 + sales tax...is this unrealistic?

Thanks in advance for any help....I am so new at this!
    Hi, $22,500. is a good but not outstanding price. They are basically giving away the transport and preparation which usually is around $1,500. $25,500. is way too high.

I paid $21,000. for the same model, a 2005 last fall. At the time Hyundai was offering a $1,500. incentive so the price I paid is similar to yours, even tough the 2006 is $700. more expensive than the 2005.

If you are not in a hurry, you can wait for January, Hyundai may offer more incentives then. Another possibility is to reply to the dealer with the $22.5K offer and offer him the $22K. at the very end of December. He'll probably take it.

Good luck :D
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    A Tucson is one of the cars I am considering when I purchase a new vehicle in January. Looking at Edmund's TMV for both the 4 cylinder GL and the 6 cylinder GLS automatics, it appears their TMV is just a few hundred below MSRP. Can this be right? Are people really paying just a few hundred dollars off MSRP for a Hyundai?
    I live in Central Texas.

I was really impressed with the safety features and the ride of the GLS I drove, but I don't want to pay near MSRP for a car that I know will depreciate worse than a domestic. I don't think Hyundais are bad cars, and the warranty impresses me, but I can get a better discount on a Toyota!

What have people recently paid OTD for a plain automatic GL or GLS? I don't want any options really other than auto tranny.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Read the previous posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    I have. Many of them seem to be Canadian buyers, none of them appeared to be in Texas or the South U.S., and very few of them were for plain, 2WD, base model GL or GLS Tucsons. I don't need leather, sunroof, etc.
  • apvapv Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your advice...I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and feel good about the deal (at the end of the day, I guess thats really what matters :) )

I got them to 22,300 and they threw in some floor mats...so I am pretty happy with that...not sure if I could have gotten much more taken off if I were to spend a few more hours haggling.
    Good deal! Enjoy your Tucson! ;)
  • alpine1alpine1 Member Posts: 51
    It appears that getting at least $2,000 off the sticker price listed on the Hyundai web site for a 2006 vehicle(4 cylinder, auto, 2WD)is reasonable. I know of one dealer that will sell a vehicle at this delivered price. Of course, taxes and fees paid directly to motor vehicles for registration are extra.
  • carinfoseekercarinfoseeker Member Posts: 1
    There are currently 3+ rebates on the 2005 Hyundai Tucson that are good through 1/3:
    2005 model Tucson = -1000
    Owner loyalty = -500
    Finance through Hyundai = -500
    (Some dealers also offer a 200 rebate for purchase through Internet)

Does anybody know what will happen to those rebates after 1/3?

There are currently 2+ rebates on the 2005 Hyundai Tucson that are good through 1/3:
    Owner loyalty = -500
    Finance through Hyundai = -500
    (Some dealers also offer a 200 rebate for purchase through Internet)

Does anybody know what will happen to those rebates after 1/3?
  • radarlopezradarlopez Member Posts: 2
    hi
    I'm in the process of buying a 2006 Tucson GLS with the sunroof, I think it's called the PREMIUM PACKAGE. the dealer wants to charge me
    $600- destination cost ( which I'm ok with) Prep -
    $500 and
    Hyundai Advertising cost $500.

are these two illegitimate costs on a new car. I got the car $21K plus 1K in rebates. total cost of Car plus registration and NYS tax (8.75%) and another $45 dealer charge would be about 24K.

Does this sound correct?

I haven't gotten a new car in over 11 years
    My last car was a 95 Saturn, brought on Nov of 94. So it's been a while
  • radarlopezradarlopez Member Posts: 2
    quick question was this dealer near the VNB?

I too got a 20K offer with the following
    $493 prep costs
    $500 advertising fee ( which in our conversation he started by saying it was already included, when I laughed out loud at him, he re-tracted the comment saying it was a slip, he had meant to say not included)

I'm looking at a Tucson GLS - 4wheel with Premium pkg
    my total is coming to 24K after tazs and fees

is this a deal or am I being taken for a ride
  • attykevinattykevin Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a 2005 LX 2WD, and I was e-mailed a quote of $20,930, less $1000 rebate and less $500 if I finance with Hyundai (likely will). That's $19,430 not counting tax and title. Am going to counter with an offer to buy at $19,000 even. Thoughts?
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    Tucson tests did not include rollover. So across the board 5 stars is really only across 2/3 of the board.
  • reechzreechz Member Posts: 50
    I was offered a 2006 Tuscon LX 2wd automatic transmission last nite at a dealership in NY for $16,000 flat. Just add tax and title.

Good deal?
  • dripgossdripgoss Member Posts: 7
    hey reechz, do you mean a 2005 LX or a 2006 Limited? To the best of my knowledge, the LX was only on the 05 and the limited is the top line of the 06 models...
  • tvandenhtvandenh Member Posts: 1
    I'm new at this so please forgive my ignorance. I am looking at a fully loaded 2006 Limited 2WD - when I say loaded add sunroof, mats, etc. nothing out of the ordinary. The dealer called and told me the price would be $24,265 which is obviously the MSRP (list) with nothing discounted. What is reasonable to assume they could do on this vehicle? I have seen TRV's quoted around $22,265 - is $1500 to 2000 off MSRP reasonable to negotiate? I was quite surprised he quoted me MSRP and thought I would jump. Thanks for your guidance.
  • rick331rick331 Member Posts: 4
    Looking to buy a new 2006 Tuscson GL 2WD automatic ! Anybody out there have any tips on discount dealerships in the NJ/NY/Eastern PA area that are selling close to invoice. The invoice price on this type of Tuscon is $17,654 and that doesn't include the $500 rebate Hyundai is offering this month.

The MSRP on this base model is $18,745 (about $1,100) over invoice.

What would be a good purchase price from a bast model like this ? Thanks !
  • 332rick332rick Member Posts: 7
    I just baught a 2006 GL 2wd this week end even after the Holidays my out the Door price with floor mat and roof rack was $18,038.00

That was Californai 8.25% tax + lic and fees well, everything included.

Not sure how good this is compaired with all ya but please let me know.

take care!
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    try the hyundai dealer in Paramus,NJ. I do not know the name of it but I think they have lower prices. I think it is on Route 17.
  • pas914pas914 Member Posts: 14
    It may be a little late to ask now, but I am curious to hear what you think of the deal I got on a 2006 Tucson. It is a 6cyl, 4wd limited edition with roof rack+cross bars, leather interior (with heated seats), elec climate ocntrol, 6cd in dash changer, sub woofer+amp, side rails/steps, etc etc -- fully loaded except for the sunroof and floor mats. After all rebates and incentives, the "out the door cost" with tax, tags, and misc fees was $21,639. I am still not entirely clear why I paid for some of the BS "document fees" and "glass etching", but that (along with $1200 tax and $249 4-yr reg) is what got me from 19,xxx to the final cost of 21,600.

I thought I was getting a pretty good deal when I signed the papers a few hours ago, but after getting home and reviewing the agreements, I am wondering if I got duped with some of these nickel and dime fees that were apparently thrown in. The MSRP on the sticker was 24,085 and the est invoice cost on Edmunds.com was around 21,500 (WITHOUT tax and tags) .. I welcome others opinions - good deal or not?

thanks,
    Paul
  • 19221922 Member Posts: 5
    Help!! I am shopping for 2006 Tucson 2-wheel dr. LX with a list price of $24,265. With no rebate because I can only get 4.9% financing and $500 customer loyalty, the dealer's offer is $21,628.34 plus finance charge for 60 mos. of $1069.88 or $22,688.11. Dealer says I can't get rebate (1000) plus customer loyalty (500) and 4.9%. Is this true? Are they giving me a good deal. Oh, Limited has these options: cupholder pad, carpeted floor mats, mud guards, sunroof wind deflector, roof cross rails. Also, should I take the $1,000 rebate or the 4.9% financing from HMFC? Should I go for it? HELP!
  • chyannachyanna Member Posts: 9
    Hi! Ok, the dealer is correct in saying that you have to choose between the $1000 rebate or the special financing with the customer loyalty. It is either one or the other and that comes from the main Hyundai site.

Edmunds has a great Financial Calculator that compares Low APR’s to Cash Back. If you go to the “New Car” section, then to “Financing” you’ll find it towards the middle of the page. Plug in all the numbers and it will show you which will save you the most money.

Is the$21,628.34 with the $1000 rebate and before tax, tags, fees etc?

Or is the $22,688.11 the “Out the door” with all the tax, tags, fees etc included the special financing and customer loyalty?
    The $21,628.34 is without the $1,000 rebate and loyalty but includes the title and sales tax; not tags. They say there are no doc fees included.

The $22,688 is "out-the-door with 4.9% financing."

Thanks, I'm going to go to Financial Calculator.
    From what I can tell, and using my zip code for the invoice, $22,688 "out-the-door” is a good deal considering that a fully loaded 2006 Limited with every option goes for roughly 22,430 without tax, title, tags, fees ect. So it would seem you are getting it below invoice.

I brought my 2006 Platinum Green Limited 4WD with every option except for mud flaps $200 below invoice and went with the 4.9% finance. I was pleased with the price, didn’t have to pay any extra bogus fees that I hear about and enjoyed the whole car buying experience. It really helps to do your homework.

I absolutely LOVE my Tucson and do not worry the MPG will go up as the engine breaks in. ;)

Good luck! Let us know what your final decision is.
    The dealer has the Tuscon fully loaded listed at $20,881, the rebate price. On the calulation sheet, he lists $20,881 plus $1,000 rebate for a total of $21,881, adds 3.5% sales tax and title fee for a total price of $22,665. THEN, HE DEDUCTS $1,000 REBATE AND BALANCE DUE IS $21,665.34 "out-the-door" plus 6.5% financing =$28,705.

If rebate price is $20,881, why is he adding the $1,000 into calulations making the price $21,881 which he adds tax and title,THEN, he deducts #1,000? Does this make sense?

Then, I said I wanted the 4.9% financing and $500 loyalty with no rebate or 21,881 plus 3.5% sales and 16.50 title =$22,663.50 -$500 loyalty=22163.50 "out-the-door" times 6.5% financing for 60 mos. =$27,592.

TMV said take the cash!
    I'm looking at a 2WD. Compared to your 4WD, please give me your opinion. Thanks.
    I may be wrong, but technically the car cost $21,881, which is what you are buying the car for, therefore you pay tax on that price. The $1000 is “cash back” giving to you after the deal, which of course you put onto the car along with any other down payment. I’m not familiar with how they work so I’m guessing. When you find out, let me know.

I personally went with the lower APR. You might want to ask the folks over in the Sonata folder about how their rebates were calculated since many of them recently brought cars with the $2500 rebates.
  • 06tucson06tucson Member Posts: 3
    Just bought new tucson gl w/ air and auto package. Dealer invoice is 25055.00 for the vehicle (all canadian dollars here of course) My wife received 500 off for the graduate program and i paid 22020.00 plus freight and tax's. came to 27000 on the road. Taxs up here are high yes and there are extra tax's on air conditioners and such. Got 5 year loan at 0% percent which is pretty amazing. I haggled for a while just want to know how i did. All i wanted was a fair price and i think i did o.k. wadaya think? msrp + taxs up here the vehicle is priced at about 29100.00 or so. 07 are 1 week away so i thought it was good time to buy.
    It sounds like you got yourself a good deal! That 0% for 60mos is awesome too. Enjoy you Tucson. I know I love mine. :D
  • 06tucson06tucson Member Posts: 3
    Thx...question to all...im picking up vehicle tomorrow and was planning on driving 400 miles to ohio the following day. Reading that its not good to drive new car at same speed for extended time as debris builds up in the cylinder and may cause a groove where piston is stopping. people recommend varying the speeds. what is hyundai's recommended technique. what have you guys done. My last car was an acura and they said car didnt need break in period. I still took it easy the first couple thousand miles. wadaya think?
    This is from the Tucson manual:

During the First 1,200 Miles (2,000 Km)
    No formal "break-in" procedure is required with
    your new Hyundai. However, you can contribute
    to the economical operation and durability of
    your Hyundai by observing the following recommendations
    during the first 1,200 miles (2,000
    km).
    o Don't drive faster than 55 MPH (88 km/h). (This is a tough one to follow.)

o While driving, keep your engine speed (rpm,
    or revolutions per minute) between 2,000
    rpm and 4,000 rpm.

o Use moderate acceleration. Don't start
    quickly or depress the accelerator pedal
    fully.

o For the first 200 miles (300 km), try to avoid
    hard stops.

o Don't lug the engine (in other words, don't
    drive so slowly in too high a gear that the
    engine "bucks"-shift to a lower gear).

o Whether going fast or slow, vary your speed
    from time to time.

o Don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes
    at one time.

o Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles

I pretty much followed their suggestions with exception to the “Don't let the engine idle longer than 3 minutes at one time.” :blush: I had to run into the store, left my family in the car for 5 minutes with the AC on. It was 101 degrees that day, I didn't want them to melt.