Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Care and Maintenance

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2014 in Ford
Discuss Freestyle routine care and maintenance here.

Comments

• bowcasterbowcaster Member Posts: 4
    I have about 2000 miles on mine, and am about to take the family on a road trip from Minnesota to Idaho and back to see the Parents. The total trip is about 3000 miles, and I'm wondering about changing the oil before or after. 2000 miles seems a little early, but after seems too late - any opinions?
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    hmmm...good one. I haven't heard of any oil additives like Honda supposedly uses in their new engines. I'm assuming Ford uses standard oil in their new engines.
    If that's the case I would say better to change it at 2000 miles instead of 5000, but even 5000 is not that bad.

my .02
  • willie19willie19 Member Posts: 139
    I agree with Nitro on this point.In fact I might even change the oil after our first 1000 miles.Sounds a bit wasteful but my rationale is that there will be quite a bit of minute wear in particles during the breakin period.
    Most of this should be picked up in the oil filter.I just don't like the idea of these little bits and pieces recirculating in the engine during a prolonged oil change interval.On my 2nd o/c I'll probably go 2-3000 miles again for a good cleanout.
    After that follow Ford's recommended procedure for a long engine life.Oil is cheap and good insurance.
    I forgot to mention.

Being that you're going on a long trip, your engine will be operating at a sustained high temperature and, as willie said, there will be extra particulation in the oil due the new engine break-in. Those two variables can make for an early engine failure.....safe bet is to put some fresh oil in for the trip.
  • dgulinodgulino Member Posts: 38
    How about having it changed DURING the trip? Take it to a Ford dealer in Idaho while you're there.
  • bowcasterbowcaster Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the good advice folks. I will be a ways out in the wilderness, so getting it changed there (as much as my father would like to go along and chat up the guys at the local dealership) is not an option.

Looks like I'll be getting the first oil change this weekend.
  • georginevjgeorginevj Member Posts: 2
    Ford does use standard oil - not break in oil. I purchased my Freestyle while on vacation and put 2900 miles on it before I got back home. The only thing that I was advised when I asked about "breaking in" was to avoid using the cruise control during the first 1000 miles and to vary the speed. Drive it 60, 55, 65 etc.

I've now got almost 4000 miles on it and I'm still loving my Freestyle!
  • jethrojacksonjethrojackson Member Posts: 33
    Was hoping some kind Freebie owner could take a peek in their owner's manual (or perhaps service guide) and tell me what the recommended interval is for oil changes in the Freebie and the amount of oil it holds.

Also, what does is say about servicing the Transmission? Any mention of periodically changing the Transmission Fluid? Do you see anything else mentioned regarding servicing the CVT?

As one who drives approx 30,000 miles a year, I'm trying to plan ahead to see what to expect.

I know it doesn't need a tune-up till 100,000 miles.

We're close to ordering a 2006 Limited AWD...Thank You! :) :
    Right after I posted, I found the following link and answered some of my own questions:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

However, it appears to be a generic service manual so if anyone has some specific info regarding the CVT Transmission that would be most appreciated! :)
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I would change it at 2000 miles.

Then again, I've been known to change the first oil at 500 miles (not always, but I've done it).

I try to change mine every 2500 miles. But occasionally I've gone 5000 miles.

The standard use interval is 5000 miles and 6 months.

The heavy use interval is 3000 miles and 3 months.

I've never paid my attention to the months thing, but won't go longer than a year.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Just don't take it to Jiffy Lube or the equivalent, or they may drain your transmission fluid instead. CVT fluid needs to be changed at 60,000 and checked before that by a qualified technician. There is no way for the consumer to check the CVT fluid by way of a dip stick.
  • mkyoungmkyoung Member Posts: 5
    What is the feeling about synthetic oil? Here is where my brain is at. I have the 2005 Freebie AWD. AWD is harder on the engine and transmission than FWD. I was thinking instead of using standard oil at 5K intervals to use a synthetic at either 5K or 10K intervals. Synthetic is suppose to last much longer that 10K, but I would change it at 5K/10K. I'm thinking (hoping) that the engine and drivetrain would last longer. WDYT?
    In a perfect world, a fresh supply of oil constantly replenishing itself would be the best option. That tells me that the more often you change the oil, the happier your engine will be.
    That being said, synthetics are designed for higher miles so changing it too frequently would be a waste of money, but I would say 5,000 miles is reasonable. As long as it doesn't strain your budget and the oil doesn't get dumped down the drain.

That's what I would do when I get to that stage. I'm only around 800 miles so I have a ways to go.
  • magdadmagdad Member Posts: 21
    The owners manual says to use at least a synthetic blend, not regular oil. For me, I'm going to bite the bullet and go with Mobil 1.
    The Motorcraft 5W-20 is a synthetic blend.
    Yes I know, but the post above asked about the value of synthetic and I wanted to make a potentially non-warranty voiding point. I'm a lifelong Castoil man myself and am entering uncharted territories with synthetics.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Can I use regular gas in the Freestyle or does Ford recommend Premium gas?
    Thanks!
    It does not require premium. I personally use mid grade.
    The owner's manual says to use 87 octane.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    The use of mid-grade or premium fuel in an engine designed to use 87 octane regular fuel is nothing more than a waste of one's money. You are not "treating" your engine.
  • bigskyguy1bigskyguy1 Member Posts: 4
    In most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner’s manual.
    The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.
    Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money.

Using synthetic oil is personal preference. If you are going to keep you car for many years generally synthetic oil will help an engine last longer. Also the oil tends to start lubricating faster on startup, especially in cold weather. Plus synthetic oil will also increase your fuel mileage a little.
    I have used Mobil 1 for many years and am a true believer. They even have an extended mileage version up to 15000 miles, but not in 5W20 yet.
  • jackiefjackief Member Posts: 10
    We plan on getting an extended warranty in the near future, dealer wouldn't match the online price so we didn't fold it in with the purchase.

Came across one tidbit which seemed unusual to me, thought I would pass it along. The extended warranties cover rental cars when you are in for warranty work. The basic/included warranty does not. That struck me as strange, as I think of extended as just prolonging the time, not adding extra stuff. Service guy confirmed this and said that the rental would be active during the regular warranty period as well. Since my commute makes either the closest dealer to home or the closest dealer to work not the most convenient for service, and the fact that there are no service loaners, we'll get the ext warranty in the near future.

Only one defect noticed when we picked up the car, which they didn't have time to fix then, which led me down this investigation. One of the 2nd row seats is in a locked state and doesn't move forward and back on its track. Service guy did take a look and confirmed problem. We're going to look for other defects before appt on Monday, if this is the only problem I'll be happy. :)

Jackie
    Came across one tidbit which seemed unusual to me, thought I would pass it along. The extended warranties cover rental cars when you are in for warranty work. The basic/included warranty does not. That struck me as strange, as I think of extended as just prolonging the time, not adding extra stuff. Service guy confirmed this and said that the rental would be active during the regular warranty period as well. Since my commute makes either the closest dealer to home or the closest dealer to work not the most convenient for service, and the fact that there are no service loaners, we'll get the ext warranty in the near future.

I had an extended warranty on my 97 Exploder which included a loaner or rental car whenever it was in for service.
    When the engine exploded, they gave me an "allowance" of $30 per day for a rental car. That got me into a Chevy Calalier for 32 days while the engine was being ordered and replaced. Gee, what happened to the "comparable vehicle"?....a compact? gee thanks Ford

Come to find out that the rental, even though it was under $30 per day ($29 I believe), also had daily taxes and other fees that put it up over $30 per day.
    At the end of the rental term I ended up paying close to $200 in fees for my "free rental"
    GRRRRRR :mad:

I guess I could have rented a SUB-compact for $19.99 per day....hind sight is always 20/20.

So you might want to verify how much allowance is available for a rental car.

Funny, when I drop my RSX off for service and I can't hang around and wait, they give me a loaner TL to drive until my lowly RSX is ready. (What's wrong with this picture?)
  • jackiefjackief Member Posts: 10
    we're not expecting the same level of pampering from ford as we got from acura or volvo. I had been getting free loaners for any service (sched maint, etc) for anything longer than the 3500mi services. I think this was something they gave to people who bought at that dealer which we had done. In fact, our wagon had been a service loaner which they sold at 8000 miles. Same for our Acura, free loaners.

So we did factor this in. We are taking a step down from the luxury brands, but hope in the end we spend less overall and still get a decent driving experience and few troubles.

The extended warranty covers $28/day rental. Our schedules are such that we can work around the lack of a rental, its good to have the option. If we had to have it, we'd add it to our insurance coverage. I think the insurance (Allstate) reimbursement amount is in the same range.

We're planning on getting an ext warranty anyway, so this is something we'll have available if we need it before the reg warranty expires.

the whole warranty booklet is online here which makes it handy for searches.
    The extended warranty covers $28/day rental. Our schedules are such that we can work around the lack of a rental, its good to have the option. If we had to have it, we'd add it to our insurance coverage. I think the insurance (Allstate) reimbursement amount is in the same range.

As long as you know up front what the rental fee covers. I'm going to be doing the same thing with my Freestyle that you are at some point also.
    I use only one of the TOP TIER gasses, and in particular, Chevron regular. I have never had any kind of fuel related problem with Chevron in any of my cars. Some of my friends who have used other gases have had to replace many fuel injectors. Other well known TOP TIER are: Shell, Philips, 76, Don't remember if Mobil is on the list.
    " The Motorcraft 5W-20 is a synthetic blend."

barnstormer64:
    Too bad we can't get the U.S. product above which is made by Conoco Philips.Does yours show it meets Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A rated API SM with the ILSAC GF-4 designation? Our Motorcraft 5W-20 sold at Ford dealers still show the API SL rating to meet Ford spec M2C153H for 2001 model year 2001 and newer Ford vehicles.

Ford specification requires better test limits than what ILSAC allows for in their published standards. I've also learned that the GF-4 standard replaced the Sequence IIIF test with the Sequence IIIG test, and the IIIG test has even better viscosity thresholds than Ford originally allowed for in the 153-H spec. As I understand it, GF-4 was intended to improve emmisions by reducing the amount of the zinc additive in oils, among other things. So it looks to me like Ford simply updated their 930A spec for 5W20 oil to reflect the revised, and tougher, tests in the new GF-4 standard, which net, probably results in a better quality oil for us consumers.

The strange part of this to me is that our Motorcraft oils are made by Imperial Oil of Canada (not stated as a semi synthetic) and their own Esso Extra 5W-20 already shows a API SM rating and GL-4 on their website but not sold in WalMart or our Canadian Tire stores.I believe they're available in Esso's bulk oil facitities.Not sure whether Esso formulates this differently.

Another thing that hit me was I took our Freestyle to the dealer for an oil/filter change as it just went over the 1st 1000 mile mark. The dealer adamantly refused to do this as they claimed it was too wasteful and best to follow Ford's schedule at 3000 miles.Did not make a big issue of that since it was going to be a complimentary oil change and they said to bring it back at 3000 to get the free service. That's ok with me as it gives us some extra time to find out anything else that needs fixing .

As it turned out I changed the oil anyway when I got home with the Motorcraft 5W-20 I bought from the parts dept and while doing that I noticed some slight oil seepage from the edge of the CVT oil pan. Numerous 8mm bolts to check and a few were tightened a wee bit. No further leakage and that's the only "defect" I found so far.

Love the Freestyle.
    "I use only one of the TOP TIER gasses...."

I often wonder if this TOP TIER qualification is not some kind of advertising gimmick and that these members have to pay some form of royalties to use the name.I also read somewhere that Mobil and many other big names are NOT on the list.

Most gasoline suppliers sold here appear to get their gas from a common source and that each supplier blends in their own additives. I buy my gas wherever I can get it cheaper as prices of late can fluctuate by up to 20 cents/litre and this happens almost every other day.
    Mostly I get mine from the independents eg Costco, supermarkets,etc, but my criteria is that they have to be clean looking and well maintained. Never had any bad gas problems. The only time I had bad gas was in a top name station in California (run by some unsavory looking characters) which was undercutting everyone else and not very well maintained. Took a chance and should have known better.
    Perhaps the gas is the same, although there are many formulations depending on area. however, there is no doubt that the additives are different and they are patented. The fact that the chief manufacturers use Chevron for their EPA tests tells a lot. Top Tier means that all octanes contain sufficient additives, not just premium. Several of my friends with GM cars have had fuel injector failures using cheap gas with unknown additives. Their service dept told them to use Chevron. I will continue to use Chevron. I know what I am getting and the additives have proven worth. Costco, Safeway, Arco??? Who knows.
    I don't disagree with what you said. I haven't been down south for quite a while now (much to do with 9/11) but in the past whenever I was there I would choose Chevron or Shell as my favourite gas.Also I would get a few bottles of Techron to use 2 or 3 times a year as a fuel system cleaner.I understand Fuel Power is also a great fuel system additive but I have not seen it sold here in our automotive stores.

I'm sorry for sounding biased but I believe generally speaking our Canadian gas is better quality than U.S. gas. That's just my experience and some like Arco's which is oxygenated , may burn cleaner, but it sure produces lousy mpg.I think folks here are more cost sensitive over gas prices and if a certain station sells bad gas they're toast as far as getting any further business.

BTW what kind of mpg are you getting now with the Limited FWD which as you know was what we wanted in the first place.The wife's Ltd AWD just went past the 1000 mile mark and the computer records about 19 mpg U.S. gal overall.I try to use different excuses to add some extra miles for the mpg's to improve but this will take some time.She won't trade with me for my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. :cry:
    This can happen anywhere and sometimes even from a Top Tier supplier.
    http://www.komotv.com/stories/36995.htm
    Hi, Willie. Driving around town the computer says about 19.6. On our trip to Salem, it said 26 something. Keep in mind that I am a pretty aggressive driver ; I rarely drive in a way that leads to good fuel economy. Also, I have found the 34 lbs. recommended tire pressure for the rear a little too firm. I suspect it is meant to compensate for the potential weight in the back. Since we never have passengers in the third seat and very rarely in the 2nd, I reduced the pressure to 32. Drives fine and is a little less thumpy.
    Hey thanks,bruneau, for the feedback.Looks like the wife's AWD is not doing that badly compared to your figures, especially since the 19 mpg I stated was left to accumulate since day 1 and comprised of about 85% city/15% hwy for the 1st 1K miles of fairly conservative driving. Over here in the B.C. westcoast our freeway (note singular) is pretty pathetic so your kind of aggressive driving is not recommended and that's too bad because I can't fully enjoy the full power of the CVT on long stretches like you can with the super U.S. Hwy systems in your area ( I'm guessing Boston,Mass.?).

After reading your post I checked the tire pressure and they were exactly 35 PSI all around compared to the recommended 32 PSI on the door sticker.However this was taken during the heat of the day right after my wife drove home.The Pirellis ride smoothly and soaks up the bumps very well so we are very satisfied with the present inflation reading. :)
    The western Salem - Oregon
    "The western Salem - Oregon"

That's even better because I love driving thru Oregon on I 5, beautiful road and great scenery with the rolling hills and pastoral setting.The only problem is that the Oregon Hwy Patrol seem to be all over the place as well as using overhead spotting planes.

Love to shop in Oregon. Great prices and no State sales tax. Wow you must have saved a bundle on the FS Ltd FWD, what a deal !! Not only do we pay a higher price for our FS ltd AWD we are overtaxed with GST and Prov. sales tax. :sick:
    This is from myford.com:

Fill'er Up: Feed Your Ford Quality Gas

All gasoline is not created equal. "Poorly made gasoline can leave harmful deposits in your engine, which can cause mechanical problems, adversely affect performance and increase environmentally harmful emissions," says Jim Simnick, associate research engineer for BP.

That's why Ford Motor Company recommends engine-cleaning gasoline, such as Amoco or Arco gasoline from BP, that's formulated to bring out the best performance. BP offers fuels with cleaning additives that keep your engine clean and deposit-free.

So there's the word from Ford, though it sounds like a marketing partnership to me. :confuse:

I tried to post a link to the article, but you have to register with myford.com first.
    Notice the words "such as". And "offers fuels" Do all grades contain sufficient additives? No Arco in my Freebie. I also notice that the unknown Safeway gas was selling for much more than Chevron in our area.
  • hank5658hank5658 Member Posts: 11
    By changing the oil early you may be removing the "break in" oil that was put in at the factory. I do not know specifically for the Freestlye but have been told that the engine manufacturers add oil with a higher "Moly" content for engine break in.
  • dairedaire Member Posts: 35
    We will be taking delivery of our new Freestyle Limited FWD just before we are taking an extended road trip of 1200 miles one way (that's 2400 total). My question is, would it be advisable to take the new car on this extended trip during the break-in period, or would it be a bad idea?
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Breaking in a new car is different now than it was years ago. The main limitation is not to accelerate or brake too harshly and to vary the speed while you are driving (also don't tow anything). Your objective the first 1,000 is to have everything seat correctly,eg, pistons, rings, brakes, CVT so you should not over-stress any components. Specifically about your trip, you should NOT get on the freeway and set the cruise control for 1,200 miles and forget it. If that's what you would like to do, take another vehicle. If on the other hand, you take some secondary roads and/or vary your speed on the freeway and in general treat the vehicle gently there is no reason you can't take it. One good thing about the Freestyle engine/CVT combination is that it varies the engine rpm quite frequently anyway to maintain "optimum" performance on uphills/downhills so that helps the break-in process. I have been told that new cars don't have any special oil put in at the plant, but have not verified that.
    Thanks for the advice. We were wondering if we could set the cruise and vary it a few miles per hour every 20 miles or so. We are traveling from Minnesota to Philladelphia, so there will be lots of hills etc once we hit PA. I don't want to do anything to hurt the break in of the CVT.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I took mine on a 700 mile trip on the freeway during the break in period and here is what I did. Drove as much as possible before the trip around town. Took a longer secondary road to the freeway as opposed to the shortest way. Changed speeds on interstate with or without cruise control. Stopped every couple of hours at reststops, etc. You'll find that the engine rpms will vary a lot as you go up and down hills so that's a good thing. Good luck and enjoy your new ride. It really shines on trips like that.
    That's the way we planned to do it too. We have about 50 miles of back roads we can do on our way out of town before we MUST hit the freeway. We always stop to change drivers every couple of hours anyway, and will have to excersise the dogs, so that part wont be difficult either. Now I just hope we get delivery before this trip! Our manufacture date is September 12, and we leave on our trip October 3, so here's hoping delivery happens in a timely manner! I know they are built in Chicago and we live in Minnesota, so let's hope they don't send it east before it comes west! :P
    I see that a "Freestyle Cabin Air Filter" is for sale at fordaccessories.com for $25.95
    On another site someone made the following observation in regards to where a cabin filter might go:

"On the FS, open the glovebox all the way, then squeeze the sides together to let it flop open completely. You'll see the HVAC fan right there, look at the top of it and you'll see a rectangle molded in the plastic, I'm thinking that is where the filter would go. Canadian literature I've found seems to indicate there is a filter on those cars. maybe they have an access panel there instead of the blanking panel."

I know the Cabin Air Filter has been discussed previously. Has anyone determined if indeed it is possible to add a cabin air filter and if the filter mentioned above is the correct one?

Thanks!
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    CHANGE IT NOW! In the old days you would change the first oil at 1,000 after the engins was broken in. It is good to change your first oil sooner. Change it the second time at 5,000 and keep the recomended schedule after that.
    Oil changes at every 5,000. CVT ate every 60,000.
    The engine uses 5W-20 - that's new for me!
    Did you know that the same engine is used in the Jaguar S type?
    There is actually a very spirited debate on the synthetic oil forum. Synthetic oil last a lot more than 10,000
    "I see that a "Freestyle Cabin Air Filter" is for sale at fordaccessories.com for $25.95 "

Where? I don't see one, nor do I see one for the Five Hundred.

I do see one for the FreeSTAR, though.
    I just looked and they've taken it off the Freestyle section. It was definitely there. I sent them two e-mails inquiring about the filter. They never responded to my inquires but took it off the site instead. Interesting way to run a business. It was slightly triangular in shape and sold for $25.95
    Maybe they had simply put it in the wrong place (confusing Freestar with Freestyle)?

Here's a link to the Freestar cabin air filter:

http://www.fordaccessories.com/product/FordAccessories/Cars/Freestar/Freestar-Cabin-Air-Fi- lter/FreestarCabinAirFilter.aspx
This discussion has been closed.