Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    I had a similar problem with my 2006 Honda Civic. It turned out that the brake light switch that turns on the lights when you press down on the brake pedal was not working properly. It is easy to check by having someone check the brake lights when you press the pedal. If they don't come on, that is probably the problem with your shifter, too. Just a thought!!
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    See if you can make a deal . . you'll pay the $500 to replace the entire shifter mechanism IF that actually solves the problem. Otherwise, it's on them. ;)

I'd have somebody else look at it first . . it could easily be something as simple as described by the post above mine.
  • volfangaryvolfangary Posts: 105
    Thanks for info. Brake lights do come on. It must be the shift interlock mechanism not working each tine. Appears to be worse when car is hot inside from sitting in sun for a period of time.
  • I have a 2006 Freestyle SEL and the rear fixed triangle windows actually push in when I press on them. (They go in about 1/4 inch) Wondered if this was normal or an issue.
    Anyone else had this issue?
  • heltonhelton Posts: 56
    I checked my windows and found they move some but not quite a 1/4 inch. I wouldn’t have been surprised if they fell out when I pushed on them. This is the same window with a sticker saying: “Built with Pride, Quality is Job #1, UAW/Ford”. Their idea of quality is to get the car out of the factory without parts falling off of it. My Freestyle came from the factory with different colored door handles.
  • kjnormankjnorman Posts: 243
    Okay so I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited and today my 4 years threw up in the back of the car. So I spent the whole afternoon cleaning the inside of the car thoroughly.

Now putting the car away in the garage I find that the puddle lamps (those on the underside of the side mirrors) are stuck on.

Of course it is Saturday evening so I can not get it to the dealer until Monday.... :(

Did I knock something inside the car that causes the lights to stay on that I can easily reset? Or, more likely did something just fail and I am looking at having to jump start the car tomorrow?

Any ideas?
    Sounds like something just failed. Nothing you would have done in backseat would have caused this. I would just pull the fuse for those lights until you can get it to the shop.
  • sportmansportman Posts: 23
    To Volfangary:
    My FS made a squeeking noise when I shifted into park. My Dealer verified the problem and solved it by following TSB 07-1-8 (Replacing the entire shift mechanism).
    Lots of the Tech writers at dealerships never read the TSB's.

You should check to see if this will solve your problem.

Good Luck
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The dash dimmer wheel will also turn on the vehicle lights at its brightest setting.

Mark.
  • I like the configuration of the Freestyle and think it is the car I want to purchase. After reading some of these posts however, I am hesitating about whether to get an 07 or an 08. I can get a great price on the 07, (in fact the salesman is being very cooperative, which almost worries me!) but I don't want to deal with problems with the CVT transmission if that is still an issue. I like the idea of the CVT, but only if it actually works and is reliable. A reasonable request, isn't it?
    I was not aware of the problems with the rear brakes. Has that been resolved by Ford?
    I would hate to spend all the money I save on the '07 getting it to run properly. Instead of spending time and energy fighting Ford or paying out for repairs, should I just apply that money on the new '08 and be worry free? Or will the new tranny on the '08s, being untested, present a whole new set of problems???
    Oops, I meant to say an '08 Taurus X. (I don't like the name change!)
    I am confused and on a deadline! The rebates expire soon and the salesman wants an answer!
    Help! :confuse:
    Buy the 07. A friend of mine who has been a Ford mechanic for many years says he sees far fewer CVT problems in the freestyle per model year than he sees in other Ford models of comparative years with an automatic transmission. Plus the 08 will be using a new transmission with unknown problems and performance in a Freestyle. ;)
  • freealfasfreealfas Posts: 652
    can't go wrong with a well priced '07, the cvt is all but trouble free with only a few failures being posted around and there is one with over 100k already with no problems so I would not worry about the cvt.

the brakes are seeming to be more frequest than people would like but there are people who have and have not had premmie pad wear at the rears and ford I'm not sure has licked it entirely. Some of it seems to be more AWD than FWD versions hearing about the wear but that being said I have a FWD and they were gone @ 18k so it doesn't make sense, you just take your chances. If you go with the '07 just make sure the pads get looked at around 10-12k and then review them at oil change time to be sure to catch them before they get into the rotors, pad replacement shouldn't be more than $150 with aftermarket pads if you pay someone to do it less if you can do it.

If it was my money I'd go '07 and drive away very happy.
  • Thanks for the input. The new transmission was a worry. I am hoping they have figured out how the CVT works by now by practicing on all of y'alls' cars! :D
  • The AWD is what I am looking at, so I will be sure and keep an eye on the brakes. Do you know if after markets void the warranty? Also, what about the ceramic pads I have been reading about? Are they a good solution?
    Thanks for the advice. This is a decision that I have been really chewing over!
    DEALER REPLACED MINE WITH THE UPDATED PADS FORD PUT OUT TO ADDRESS SO I ONLY HAVE 2K ON THOSE AND HAVE NO IDEA AS TO LONGEVITY. AFTERMARKETS SHOULD NOT VOID THE WARRANTY BUT YOU SHOULD READ THE FINE PRINT AND TALK TO THE DEALER ABOUT THAT. I KNOW THERE IS A POSTER ON ANOTHER FORUM THAT HAD THE DEALER INSTALL HIS AFTERMARKETS SO THAT WOULD LEAD ME TO BELIEVE THERE WOULD NOT BE A WARRANTY ISSUE BUT DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK ON THAT.

GOOD LUCK BUYING...
  • kjnormankjnorman Posts: 243
    Strangely they fixed themselves.

Eventually after a period of time (I am not sure exactly how long) they did switch themselves off.

Now I know they are meant to stay for a few minutes but this was a lot longer than that. Since this incident they now seem to work fine...
    I have an '05 AWD Limited and have had no problems with the brakes or CVT. If price is a consideration, there is nothing wrong with an 07 Frestyle at the deep discount prices.
  • Thanks for the reassurance! I started reading these strings at the “Many Problems w/Freestyles” and I think I was overwhelmed with all of the things that can/have gone wrong. I have since found the main string here, and feel much better. Even with all of the negatives, I still liked the looks and versatility of this vehicle. Also, (maybe foolishly), I am intrigued with the CVT. Once I found out that this type of transmission was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci, I was hooked!
    I have an offer that is 20% off MSRP. I think I will take it, and join you all as a proud owner of a Freestyle~
    Yup, I’m a newbie!
    It is my belief that the Freestyle CVT is over-designed and too expensive for a vehicle in the Freestyle category and that's the reason it is being discontinued. It may be the strongest and most trouble-free part of the drivetain.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM
    07N10 Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
    Director
    Service Engineering Operations
    Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
    P.O. Box 1904
    Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07N10
    Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the rear brake pads to 3 years of service or 36,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 36,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2007. This program provides one-time replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego FWD & AWD and Ford Freestyle FWD vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through November 28, 2006.
    Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Freestyle AWD Vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through Job Last 2007.
    Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
    REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may have had direct exposure to moisture for an extended period that may have caused the pads to “swell” and create a slight drag condition. Low levels of brake drag might not be noticed by a customer, but could lead to premature brake pad wear and excessive brake dust.

SERVICE ACTION
    2005 through 2007 FWD and AWD Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego & FWD Freestyle Vehicles

If an affected vehicle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rear rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

2005 through 2007 AWD Freestyle Vehicles

Due to the configuration of the braking system on AWD Freestyle vehicles the front brake pads must be replaced when rear brake pads are replaced. Therefore, this program will allow replacement of front brake pads, but only if the rear brake pads require replacement during the same visit.
    If an affected AWD Freestyle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the front and rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTE: Brake pad inspection is part of normal maintenance and is not covered as part of this program. If the vehicle is within this extended time and mileage coverage and the owner experiences a brake system symptom or during a normal maintenance inspection (brakes every 15,000 miles or more often, per the Scheduled Maintenance Guide) the vehicle's rear brake pads are found to have less than 3 millimeters (0.118 inch) of lining material, then Ford Motor Company will cover the cost of replacing the rear brake pads.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Mailing will begin July 9, 2007.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
    Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
    Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) …………….…………………….1-800-325-5621
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    If you have your headlights in auto mode, the puddle lamps will stay on after you exit until the timer turns off the head lights. You can change the timer lenght through the setup button on the wheel.

Mark.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    A few comments:

1) This means that the brake wear problem is NOT a "design defect".

2) This means that the brake wear problem would not affect ALL vehicles (which explains people like me who've had no issues)

3) More interestinlgy, think of what this implies for those who have had MULTIPLE sets of brake pads wear early. Hmmmm.
    Today my Freestyle key fob only unlocked the driver door and not the other doors. As I was driving the turn signals were rapid. I checked and all signal lamps are working. This also happened a couple months ago. An hour later, everything works fine and all symptoms have disappeared. Anyone else have this experience or know what the problem might be? :confuse:
  • bobnu75bobnu75 Posts: 21
    that has happened to me, but not for a while. since everything has seemed OK after about an hour, I didn't look into it. I've owned the car for two years.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,796
    "As I was driving the turn signals were rapid. I checked and all signal lamps are working. "

I had this same problem a couple of months ago. The dealer replaced a switch under the steering wheel (under warranty). A rapid blinker means there is something wrong with the electrical system. Typically this is a burnt out light bulb, but it could be anything.
  • I had the same problem on my then 16-month old 2006 Freestyle. It was a burned out rear bulb.
    Thanks for all the feedback. Checked bulbs and they are all working. Any other suggestions or feedback? :confuse:
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Posts: 39
    I have a 2005 Freestyle Limited and my son bought a used 2005 Freestyle from a Saturn dealer. He just paid $600.00+ for a front and rear brake job at Midas. We both got the extended coverage letters. He took his Midas bill and the letter to the local Ford dealer last week. Just got a check from Ford yesterday for the WHOLE amount, front and rear, labor, everything. Way to go Ford. (Even if they still won't admit that it was a design or production problem.) :)
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Posts: 39
    Tried a pebble dash mat to match the interior on my 2005 Limited but that didn't work. Bought a set of polarized clip-ons from my Optician for $25.00 and that did the trick. Clears it right up. You can also use the clip-ons over sunglasses to get a darker view. I've found that it really helps to ease the eye strain when you are out on the freeway for an extended time.
    "(Even if they still won't admit that it was a design or production problem.)"

wasn't a design issue it was a QC issue... but thanks anyway