Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    Five young kids in the car (four guests, only one ours). I used to have a minivan that seated seven so there was no problem with five, but now there is with only six places to sit total.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Five young kids in the car (four guests, only one ours). I used to have a minivan that seated seven so there was no problem with five, but now there is with only six places to sit total."

I guess your Freestyle has the rear bucket seats instead of the rear bench? MY FS with bench rear seats will handle 5 kids back there, three in row 2 and 2 in row 3.
  • sportmansportman Member Posts: 23
    Yes bobw3, I think you got ripped off. My Dealer (Route 23 Automall in Butler, NJ) checks for any new TSB's every time I go in for service. I have had recalibrates, memory reflashed, and recalls done without my even knowing until I pick up the vehicle.
    Check for a dealer that has a better service department and treat them as you would like to be treated. Ford does monitor them and rewards them for excellent customer service. The smart ones know where their bread is buttered. Good service boosts sales.
  • kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    Yes, rear bucket seats so it is 2-2-2.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I just received my $235 back, so thanks for the tip, and if I ever have any problems with these modules I'll get them fixed under this warranty. Funny thing is that the dealer was so surprised that Ford covered them under the 8yr/80,000 mile warranty. The dealer told me that they have had lots of folks getting these modules recalibrated and I was the first one to have it done for free under warranty. Although I'm happy, it's too bad that Ford makes it so difficult to get a warranty repair completed. It really pays to look in the warranty guide.
  • heltonhelton Member Posts: 56
    I ordered DashMat 1658-00-25 (Black) from Amazon.com and it works great. The glare is gone! It has cutouts for the air bag, document compartment, etc. I paid $29.99 and shipping was free.
  • jsr1jsr1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    I just had my summer tires put my 05 Freestyle and the mecanic told me my rear brakes are completely gone. I'm not surprised since my 20 000 km check up showed that they were almost completely worn down. Despite being aware of the problem (a TSB was sent out about this issue), neither Ford Canada nor the dealer offered any help (the guarantee of 1 year/ 20 000 km is non-negociable I was told). Changing my rear brakes is expensive (dealer: about 300$ can) and I find ridiculous considering that the car only has 31 000 km.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? And what type of pads should I use to avoid having to change them again in 30 000 km?
  • chauncybrandchauncybrand Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone else had a problem with the passenger/seatbelt sensor on the front passenger seat? My wife dropped me off at work today and called to tell me that the "fasten seatbelt beeper" was going off the entire drive back home even though she was wearing her seatbelt. I can only assume that the sensor on the passenger side (where I was sitting before I exited the car) was, for lack of a better term, "stuck." If I were anywhere near an American Ford service center I could take care of this quickly. However, I'm a U. S. service member living in Italy and there is no way to service a FS over here. I'll be shipping the vehicle back to the states in May but I don't want to go the next 2 months with this annoying issue. Any help?
    :confuse:
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    A Freestyle in Italy. How interesting. It must seem like a very large vehicle on the roads over there.

One question regarding the false seatbelt warning. When this is happening, is there anything on the seat heavy enough to fool the system into thinking that someone might be seated there? (It doesn't take very much.) If not, I suppose you pull the fuse that would disable the warning system itself until you repatriate your Freestyle. Your manual should be of some help in locating which fuse to pull. If you don't have the manual, let us know and we'll look it up for you.

BTW, how much is regular unleaded per liter in Italy?
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    The manual should also give the instructions on disabling the belt warning chime. That would be easier/better than pulling a fuse. Try using the following-
    Deactivating/activating the BeltMinder feature
    The driver and front passenger BeltMinder are
    deactivated/activated independently. When deactivating/activating
    one seating position, do not buckle the other position as this will
    terminate the process.
    Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the
    deactivation/activation programming procedure.
    Note: The driver and front passenger BeltMinder features must be
    disabled/enabled separately. Both cannot be disable/enabled during the
    same key cycle.
    The driver and front passenger BeltMinder features can be
    deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:
    Before following the procedure, make sure that:
    • The parking brake is set
    • The gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission)
    • The ignition switch is in the OFF position
    • The driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled
    To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the
    BeltMinder feature while driving the vehicle.
    1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT
    START THE ENGINE)
    2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1
    minute)
    • Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt
    warning light turns off.
    3. For the seating position being disabled, at a moderate speed, buckle
    then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending in the unbuckled state.
    (Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt
    warning light turns off.)
    • After Step 3, the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be
    turned on for three seconds.
    4. Within 10 seconds of the light turning on, at a moderate speed, buckle
    then unbuckle the safety belt.
    Seating and Safety Restraints
    • This will disable the BeltMinder feature for that seating position if it
    is currently enabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning
    light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
    • This will enable the BeltMinder feature for that seating position if it
    is currently disabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning
    light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3
    seconds with the light off, then followed by the restraint system
    warning light flashing 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.
  • chauncybrandchauncybrand Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to Passat_2002 and pnewby.
    The BeltMinder hasn't malfunctioned since the posting I made. My wife said there was nothing in the seat other than her purse...would that be enough to give a false reading? It's not a very large or heavy purse. Anyway, I'll be sure to try the 4 step procedure in the event that this should happen again.

And to answer your question Passat_2002 - The Freestyle isn't too bad getting around Italy at all. There are some areas inside citys that can be quite a squeeze, but usually in those areas most folks are on foot anyway...so that's what we do. But very rarely do I have to re-think my route or anything like that...not really as bad as you may think.

By the way, gas is about 1.25 euro per litre...or if you do the math it's about $6.50 a gallon (Euro/Dollar rate is the worst in history right now - .723E to $1)!! However, I only pay about $70 for a hundred litre coupon book...about $3 a gallon.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    FYI - Just put new tires on my 05 Limited AWD. The Pirellis were getting pretty worn at 30,000 miles. The new Goodyear Assurance Comfortred make for a much better ride. So far the brakes are holding up just fine.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I put ceramics on the rear at 15,000 miles to avoid rotor wear. Dealer charged $50. I did not know about the "rotate" the rear piston as you pushed it in.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    Use ceramics.
  • ejj063073ejj063073 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. At first it would go out and then come back on, but today it went out completely. What kind of costs are involved in getting the instrument cluster replaced?
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    There is a TSB for this issue. A control module needs to be replaced at no cost.
    My Daytime Running Lights (DRL), that is.

I had my FS in to check a strange problem. Yesterday after I came home my FOB would not work. I tried my wife's FOB as well, but the alarm lights would not flash, and it would lock or unlock only about every 10th time. I went to supper (it got dark), and when I came out, the problem was gone.

I took the car into the dealer; it was due for a 6 month oil change anyway. They could not find a problem. I had hoped the computer had recorded an error code.

Anyway, while there I asked the service manager if they would try and program my DRL. I got a call later that said "The Freestyle does not have DRL". I printed out a couple of web pages describing how other FS owners have had Ford program the Smart Junction Box, and faxed it to him.

To their credit, they got together with their electronics bunch and figured out how to program the DRL! They simply have to hook up the diagnostic program to the connection under the steering column, go to the "Lights" section of the diagnostic program, and set the DRL to on. I don't have the exact procedure, and the service advisor didn't know it either, just the basics I have listed here. He did say that the same area programs the perimeter lighting.

Now, when I put my FS into gear, the DRL come on. Way cool, I can't imagine why Ford doesn't program this from the factory. :D

2006 SEL FWD.
  • volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    What did they charge you to do this?
    "What did they charge you to do this?"

Nothing; I have seen other sites that claim a $30 charge. Evidently it is a very simple change.

I think they traded the knowledge that the capability was there for turning it on in my case. ;)
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    ---- stevedebi said:
    >Now, when I put my FS into gear, the DRL come on. Way cool, I can't imagine why Ford doesn't program this from the factory.

I'm glad Ford doesn't program them that way from the factory otherwise I'd be at my Ford dealer asking them to undo it. I can't stand DRLs. I've owned two vehicles that came with DRLs and the first thing I did in both cases was figure out how to disable them. If I want the lights on I can turn them on myself.
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    Just put a light tan dashmat in my '05 Limited with tan leather interior and now I get a reflection of the mat instead of the dashboard. I guess the only mat that will solve the glare problem is a dark color. Wife hates the look of the dashmat anyway so I'll just store it and leave it with the car when we sell it. We love the interior space and the lack of a jerky up-shift. I tried sitting in the third rows of other Fords, Chevrolets and Toyotas and this was the best. We haven't put a lot of miles on it yet but we use it for all of our trips involving four adults and two toddlers in car seats. Plenty of room in the third row for a comfortable ride on long drives. Really nice-looking car.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    We have the pebble interior and found the reflection intolerable in bright sun. I didn't want to put some ill-fitting dashmat on, so I bought a black bath towel and folded it in half length-wise. It does the job even if it is not elegant, costs little, and comes off in seconds if not needed. Experiment with it. You won't take it off, but the color needs to be black or deep brown. At least you'll be able to see.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    It's a lot easier to wear polarized sunglasses than to put a dark towel on the dash, IMO. ;)
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    "Nothing; I have seen other sites that claim a $30 charge. Evidently it is a very simple change."

A simple change allright. Unless you have an '05 model. Then it becomes a good deal more complicated and the dealer will be far more likely to charge to do it.
    The glare from the tan colored dashboard is really dangerous. I noticed that the view was completely screened and it was impossible to judge distance when looking at a car through the right side of the windshield. As I mentioned in post #966, I ordered DashMat #1658-00-5 (Black) through Amazon.com and it works great.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Ok, but if you want to see your radio and air controls, sun glasses don't work so well, and who wants to wear sunglasses all the time. My towel stays on 100% and works better than sunglasses. I call it my Martha Stewart dashmat. Cost? $4.99.
    and who wants to wear sunglasses all the time.

The glare doesn't really become that bad unless it's a time when I'd be wearing the sunglasses, though.
    "I've owned two vehicles that came with DRLs and the first thing I did in both cases was figure out how to disable them. If I want the lights on I can turn them on myself."

Well, to each his own. My insurance company gives a small discount if the car has this safety feature. Of course, I WANT the lights on, which is why I had them turn on DRL. These are not the ordinary lights - it only turns on the headlights, and not at full strength. No tail lights or markers. So it is a bit different than just turning on the lights.

However, if it WAS enabled, your dealer could easily have turned them off.
    "A simple change allright. Unless you have an '05 model. Then it becomes a good deal more complicated and the dealer will be far more likely to charge to do it."

The first post I saw (on another site), was from a 2005 SE owner. He is the one that reported a $30 charge.

His only complication was to convince Ford that the 2005 Freestyle had a Smart Junction Box. He had to show the dealer the sticker to prove it. Then they took 10 minutes and programmed the DRL.
    Fordwrench, and any others with knowledge,
    My 2005 Freestyle is having problems getting out of park. It appears to be related to the release mechanism that allows the trigger to be pulled in on gear shift knob to move shifter out of park. I have to play with pushing and releasing driving break pedal several times before trigger will pull in on shifter to move out of park. I can then keep pedal pushed in and move shifter in and out of park releasing trigger each time and it works fine, but once I take foot off break and push break pedal again and try moving out of park again, trigger won't work again. I took it into Ford for repair Friday and they said someone had spilled a drink down shifter and they tried to clean shifter mechanism and if it still does it, which it does, they want $500 to replace all the shifting mechanisms. Does anyone know if this is correct. Seams to me there would be a switch that could be replaced that might be causing this that would be cheaper to replace than whole shifting mechanism.
    I had a similar problem with my 2006 Honda Civic. It turned out that the brake light switch that turns on the lights when you press down on the brake pedal was not working properly. It is easy to check by having someone check the brake lights when you press the pedal. If they don't come on, that is probably the problem with your shifter, too. Just a thought!!
    See if you can make a deal . . you'll pay the $500 to replace the entire shifter mechanism IF that actually solves the problem. Otherwise, it's on them. ;)

I'd have somebody else look at it first . . it could easily be something as simple as described by the post above mine.
    Thanks for info. Brake lights do come on. It must be the shift interlock mechanism not working each tine. Appears to be worse when car is hot inside from sitting in sun for a period of time.
  • dougmalissadougmalissa Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2006 Freestyle SEL and the rear fixed triangle windows actually push in when I press on them. (They go in about 1/4 inch) Wondered if this was normal or an issue.
    Anyone else had this issue?
    I checked my windows and found they move some but not quite a 1/4 inch. I wouldn’t have been surprised if they fell out when I pushed on them. This is the same window with a sticker saying: “Built with Pride, Quality is Job #1, UAW/Ford”. Their idea of quality is to get the car out of the factory without parts falling off of it. My Freestyle came from the factory with different colored door handles.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Okay so I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited and today my 4 years threw up in the back of the car. So I spent the whole afternoon cleaning the inside of the car thoroughly.

Now putting the car away in the garage I find that the puddle lamps (those on the underside of the side mirrors) are stuck on.

Of course it is Saturday evening so I can not get it to the dealer until Monday.... :(

Did I knock something inside the car that causes the lights to stay on that I can easily reset? Or, more likely did something just fail and I am looking at having to jump start the car tomorrow?

Any ideas?
    Sounds like something just failed. Nothing you would have done in backseat would have caused this. I would just pull the fuse for those lights until you can get it to the shop.
  • sportmansportman Member Posts: 23
    To Volfangary:
    My FS made a squeeking noise when I shifted into park. My Dealer verified the problem and solved it by following TSB 07-1-8 (Replacing the entire shift mechanism).
    Lots of the Tech writers at dealerships never read the TSB's.

You should check to see if this will solve your problem.

Good Luck
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The dash dimmer wheel will also turn on the vehicle lights at its brightest setting.

Mark.
  • prairiedogprairiedog Member Posts: 8
    I like the configuration of the Freestyle and think it is the car I want to purchase. After reading some of these posts however, I am hesitating about whether to get an 07 or an 08. I can get a great price on the 07, (in fact the salesman is being very cooperative, which almost worries me!) but I don't want to deal with problems with the CVT transmission if that is still an issue. I like the idea of the CVT, but only if it actually works and is reliable. A reasonable request, isn't it?
    I was not aware of the problems with the rear brakes. Has that been resolved by Ford?
    I would hate to spend all the money I save on the '07 getting it to run properly. Instead of spending time and energy fighting Ford or paying out for repairs, should I just apply that money on the new '08 and be worry free? Or will the new tranny on the '08s, being untested, present a whole new set of problems???
    Oops, I meant to say an '08 Taurus X. (I don't like the name change!)
    I am confused and on a deadline! The rebates expire soon and the salesman wants an answer!
    Help! :confuse:
    Buy the 07. A friend of mine who has been a Ford mechanic for many years says he sees far fewer CVT problems in the freestyle per model year than he sees in other Ford models of comparative years with an automatic transmission. Plus the 08 will be using a new transmission with unknown problems and performance in a Freestyle. ;)
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    can't go wrong with a well priced '07, the cvt is all but trouble free with only a few failures being posted around and there is one with over 100k already with no problems so I would not worry about the cvt.

the brakes are seeming to be more frequest than people would like but there are people who have and have not had premmie pad wear at the rears and ford I'm not sure has licked it entirely. Some of it seems to be more AWD than FWD versions hearing about the wear but that being said I have a FWD and they were gone @ 18k so it doesn't make sense, you just take your chances. If you go with the '07 just make sure the pads get looked at around 10-12k and then review them at oil change time to be sure to catch them before they get into the rotors, pad replacement shouldn't be more than $150 with aftermarket pads if you pay someone to do it less if you can do it.

If it was my money I'd go '07 and drive away very happy.
    Thanks for the input. The new transmission was a worry. I am hoping they have figured out how the CVT works by now by practicing on all of y'alls' cars! :D
    The AWD is what I am looking at, so I will be sure and keep an eye on the brakes. Do you know if after markets void the warranty? Also, what about the ceramic pads I have been reading about? Are they a good solution?
    Thanks for the advice. This is a decision that I have been really chewing over!
  • freealfasfreealfas Member Posts: 652
    DEALER REPLACED MINE WITH THE UPDATED PADS FORD PUT OUT TO ADDRESS SO I ONLY HAVE 2K ON THOSE AND HAVE NO IDEA AS TO LONGEVITY. AFTERMARKETS SHOULD NOT VOID THE WARRANTY BUT YOU SHOULD READ THE FINE PRINT AND TALK TO THE DEALER ABOUT THAT. I KNOW THERE IS A POSTER ON ANOTHER FORUM THAT HAD THE DEALER INSTALL HIS AFTERMARKETS SO THAT WOULD LEAD ME TO BELIEVE THERE WOULD NOT BE A WARRANTY ISSUE BUT DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK ON THAT.

GOOD LUCK BUYING...
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Strangely they fixed themselves.

Eventually after a period of time (I am not sure exactly how long) they did switch themselves off.

Now I know they are meant to stay for a few minutes but this was a lot longer than that. Since this incident they now seem to work fine...
    I have an '05 AWD Limited and have had no problems with the brakes or CVT. If price is a consideration, there is nothing wrong with an 07 Frestyle at the deep discount prices.
    Thanks for the reassurance! I started reading these strings at the “Many Problems w/Freestyles” and I think I was overwhelmed with all of the things that can/have gone wrong. I have since found the main string here, and feel much better. Even with all of the negatives, I still liked the looks and versatility of this vehicle. Also, (maybe foolishly), I am intrigued with the CVT. Once I found out that this type of transmission was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci, I was hooked!
    I have an offer that is 20% off MSRP. I think I will take it, and join you all as a proud owner of a Freestyle~
    Yup, I’m a newbie!
    It is my belief that the Freestyle CVT is over-designed and too expensive for a vehicle in the Freestyle category and that's the reason it is being discontinued. It may be the strongest and most trouble-free part of the drivetain.
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM
    07N10 Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank M. Ligon
    Director
    Service Engineering Operations
    Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
    P.O. Box 1904
    Dearborn, Michigan 48121

July 3, 2007

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 07N10
    Certain 2005 through 2007 FWD & AWD Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle & Mercury Montego Vehicles - Rear Brake Wear

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the warranty coverage of the rear brake pads to 3 years of service or 36,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle has already accumulated more than 36,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2007. This program provides one-time replacement coverage, and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego FWD & AWD and Ford Freestyle FWD vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through November 28, 2006.
    Certain 2005 through 2007 Model Year Ford Freestyle AWD Vehicles built at the Chicago Assembly Plant from Job #1 2005 through Job Last 2007.
    Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.
    REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the affected vehicles may have had direct exposure to moisture for an extended period that may have caused the pads to “swell” and create a slight drag condition. Low levels of brake drag might not be noticed by a customer, but could lead to premature brake pad wear and excessive brake dust.

SERVICE ACTION
    2005 through 2007 FWD and AWD Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego & FWD Freestyle Vehicles

If an affected vehicle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rear rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

2005 through 2007 AWD Freestyle Vehicles

Due to the configuration of the braking system on AWD Freestyle vehicles the front brake pads must be replaced when rear brake pads are replaced. Therefore, this program will allow replacement of front brake pads, but only if the rear brake pads require replacement during the same visit.
    If an affected AWD Freestyle experiences the condition of rear brake pad premature wear (below 3mm thickness), dealers are to replace the front and rear brake pads and if necessary, turn or replace the rotors, if they are below the thickness specification. This service will be performed on affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

NOTE: Brake pad inspection is part of normal maintenance and is not covered as part of this program. If the vehicle is within this extended time and mileage coverage and the owner experiences a brake system symptom or during a normal maintenance inspection (brakes every 15,000 miles or more often, per the Scheduled Maintenance Guide) the vehicle's rear brake pads are found to have less than 3 millimeters (0.118 inch) of lining material, then Ford Motor Company will cover the cost of replacing the rear brake pads.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE

Mailing will begin July 9, 2007.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
    Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
    Attachment III: Technical Information

Customer Notification Letter

QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE

Special Service Support Center (Dealer Only) …………….…………………….1-800-325-5621