Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Accesories & Modifications

Comments

• arjamesarjames Member Posts: 6
    Funny you bring that up. I was actually thinking about just getting some for the front of my aveo. I was going to also change my 205/45/16r for some 215/45/16r. Just in the front, I'm keeping the 205s on the back to keep down on the drag. A few of my friends have put them on there rides and it made a big difference in the ride, handling, and steering of their cars. My reason for doing it is to get plenty of clearance when turning them huge tires all the way.
    In my seachers i have found that kyb shocks actually makes a set of rear shocks for the aveo. they are part# 343423. I was just wondering if anyone has purshed them yet and installed them. How do they affect the handleing of the car and how about the body roll. Does it stiften it up at all? My lowering springs, wheels, and tires did a hell of a number so just wondering. Let me know somebody.
  • akveevoakveevo Member Posts: 12
    I found some nice rims that fit the Aveo at www.tiresplus.com. Most are under $100.00 each. Getting mine done soon :)
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    which ones are you getting?
  • akveevoakveevo Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 Aveo Sedan and I can't find any body mod kits either. :cry:
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Look on EBay. There is someone selling a body kit..for either the 5 door or the sedan. I am not sure which it is..I would not do it to my car. So I dont look to close at it. BUT I see it there all the time. I think the kit is made by a company called Rizzi?
  • tventtvent Member Posts: 17
    I want to try replacing spark plug and cables to improve mpg? Any suggestions on specific brands? Don't want the price to go to high, something affordable. Should anything else be replaced at this point as well?
  • vbitterxvbitterx Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem when I hit a dip too hard. It losened the speeker wire but, like my life, it randomly fixed its self. But The dash is a [non-permissible content removed] to remove and you cant fit a hand of a child behind the dash. If you unscrew the top to the dash you can lift it to remove the front panel of the dash and get to the sides of the radio.. beyond that is a mystery.. I stoped. went to dealer.

Good luck
    On my 06 Aveo I changed my plugs and wires to high preformance parts. I got Magnecor Competition wires set and Bosh Iridium fuzion 4. I would also clean/replace the filter depending on if its stock or not. I can say that my tune up helps me to be able to dog the [non-permissible content removed] out of my car and still get 36 to 38 mpg all the time.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Where did you get the wires from? Have had trouble locating any local auto shops that even carry them for this model. Ordered a set from Advance Auto, but they were incorrect.
  • topgear1224topgear1224 Member Posts: 8
    no offense but the chevy website says "Trailering is not recommended."
  • topgear1224topgear1224 Member Posts: 8
    i bet they gave you the wrong antenna happened to me
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    Why is it 20 years ago you could tow with a Chevette but not with the Aveo?? I think they are just brainwashing everybody into buying trucks for towing....people dont think 100hp is enough to tow with, when that is far from true.
  • nordy200nordy200 Member Posts: 14
    I installed my new stereo last night (JVC CD/MP3/HD) and speakers from Crutchfield, who I highly recommend for selection, price, and support. It was very easy to do in my 2007 Aveo 5-the dash opens up easier than any other car I have ever installed audio in. It sounds great except that the small speaker enclosure in the back isn't producing much bass, even with the new Polk speakers. I am planning on installing a subwoofer and would like to get feedback from anyone who has done that in their hatchback, or anyone who might have a speaker recommendation or setup that would give some good bass.
    Thanks!
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    They make styrofoam speaker covers that slip on the back to give more bass sound.
    www.gravanatuning.com
  • av0tronav0tron Member Posts: 3
    has anyone found a turbo kit for the aveo?
    has anyone found a turbo kit for the aveo? i really want to put one on but i can't find any. any suggestions
    My only suggestion if you haven't already done so is to web search.
    i have, thats the thing. i've emailed a couple of shops to see if they can fabricate one for me. i'm saving up for a sti and i need something to hold me over until then.
  • therevmomtherevmom Member Posts: 5
    I cannot get the MP3s to work on my system. 2006 Black 5 speed. Chevy dealer finally (!!!) gave in and sent it to a subcontractor to look at it.(Note I first posted about this on Jan 29, 2007 (9:36 pm) and it took till this month to get the dealer to get that far. :( ) The stereo shop said there's nothing wrong, works for them with their "test" CD of MP3s. :confuse: I must be "burning the CDs in the wrong format".

Okay, I'm a computer geek. I do know how to burn a CD whether its MP3 or Audio. But just WHAT am I NOT doing that I STILL get Error 5 and Error 6 instead of a playable disk in this car? Where can I find a definition of what Error 5 and Error 6 are?

Otherwise I LOVE this car. Bought it Dec 5 and have 35K on it today since I commute 106 miles.

Any suggestions? Is this just a car dealership trying to convince a female she's stupid? :cry:
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    I don't have the CD-player in mine, but first off, it may not accept CD-RW (rewritable) discs if you're using those. The discs need to be finalized, rather than left open where new tracks can be added.

Have you tried a different brand for blank discs, or a different burner/burning software? Not all brands of players will read every brand of recordable CDs successfully.

Lastly, does your burned disc play on a stand-alone CD player, boombox or DVD player without any problems or is there anyone else's car audio that you can test it on?

Good luck to you.
    Hey! Thanks for responding. I'm open to whatever help I can get. Here's responses to your questions.

I'm using a CD-Rs. All the disks are finalized and burned in one setting (not multisessions). They play in my mp3 playing boom box, my clock radio, and in my husband's Kia with a Pioneer player. But all are older than this car. The variety of CDs is everything from cheap generic ones to top of the line brand names. About half are burned in Nero 6. The other half are burned in Linux based systems. (I'm not a fan of MicroGiant)

What the guy at the shop told me was that I was not putting them in proper format. When I read the manual, it doesn't list any specific format to use. It does talk about the depth of folder levels, using title labels, but nothing about burning formats. But it also doesn't define the error codes. It simply says to write them down and take them to the dealer. I did that. Numerous times. And I'm still listening to Audio CDs in this vehicle instead of MP3s.

I'm currently doing a job where I spend 5 days/nights a week away from home and 2 hours away my usual dealer. I think I'm going to bring this problem to the attention of the dealer in this town and see if I get a different reception (no pun intended).

What I'd like to know from anyone who does MP3s in their Aveo is what you are using to burn the CD's and if you're using any special "formatting", file and folder arrangement.

Thanks
  • mshabibahmshabibah Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing the same problem with playing MP3s in my Aveo. The only difference is that it will only play about 1/3 of the songs on the disc. If you find out what the problem is please come back and enlighten me. I simply refuse to go to the dealership for anything. Sometimes it seems too much of a hassle to get things done there.
    I have an appointment with this other Chevy dealer on Thursday. Will post back here and let you know.
  • 1bigdog1bigdog Member Posts: 5
    I was looking at radio's from Crutchfield.. How do you remove the old radio.. Is it hard too do?? I would like to know before I buy the radio from crutchfields.
    Okay, I'm NOT an idiot. They ordered a new unit and will replace this one as it is faulty. So much for my confidence in the dealer in my own town.

Thanks for your input, everyone. :)
  • rockbass14rockbass14 Member Posts: 4
  • rockbass14rockbass14 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have an OEM CD Player for a 2007? Been looking all over for one, just lost the auction on ebay for the only one I've seen ever listed. Contact me if you would like to sell me one.
    I have a 07 and replaced the radio.. Buy the Kenwood model KDC-MP208. Am-Fm cd player.. You will also need a small harness.The radio cost me on sale $78.00 Reg price is $150.00 The harness cost about $20.00 The dealer where I purchased car said to buy a aftermarket radio.. I didn't replace the speakers. They are just fine with the radio. Circuit city will install the radio for free..
  • buscemibuscemi Member Posts: 9
    goto the auto zone or advance and get the haynes guide on your car . There should be enough info in the book.
  • buscemibuscemi Member Posts: 9
    circuit city told me that for the 08 i need an antennae cable adapter and a wiring harnes. not to mention the box to mount the radio. Does this sound fishy.
    I ownly purchased the wiring harness at circuit city.. I have the 2007. .. I purchased a kenwood radio. You might need a ant adapter for a different radio.. I only needed the harness.. And didn't need a new radio mount box..They will charge you for any clip or nut they can. Any other questions email me @ seatycoon2173@yahoo.com
  • hammillhammill Member Posts: 10
    Is this rig of yours an auto or 5 speed? I have an 06 5 speed 24,000 miles i'm getting 30mpg with the cold here in MN. last summer with 11,000 on it i got 33-37.Hoping for the same this year.thinking about the plugs ,wires and the cold air intake . The local mechanic told me to remove the gutts of the fender with the air box and replace the air filter with a k&n that would be a poor mans cold air intake system. anyone ever heard of this?
  • sozekizersozekizer Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    I've got the '06 aveo hatchback w/ the standard factory installed stereo. I'm looking to replace it with an HD Ready/Sirius Ready/Ipod Ready unit. I'm looking at the Kenwood KDC-X891 unit but wanted to know if any of you have any recommendations.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Go to www.crutchfield.com and look it up. According to their size application utility, it will fit without any problem.
  • sozekizersozekizer Member Posts: 8
    yeah i've already done that. i'm looking more for personal recommendations.
    I had the high-end factory stereo/CD player w/6 speakers in an 05 Aveo hatchback, and I replaced the factory unit with a Sony unit from Crutchfield. It fit like it was made for it, and Cruchfield provided everything I needed, including excellent instructions. The Sony unit mated up perfectly with the installation kit provided.

I can't say how the radio you are considering will work out, but if Crutchfield says it will work, you can believe them. I have used them several times, and they go "above and beyond" to service their customers.
  • luckinsluckins Member Posts: 63
    I had the same problem with MP3s the first time I tried a disk. I like to put my podcasts on disks so that I can listen to them in the car. The first time, I just erased the disk and dragged the file from iTunes to the disk. It wouldn't play. The second time, I used a totally blank disk and "burned" the podcast directly from iTunes and it plays perfectly. I am planning on experimenting on different techniques so that I won't have to buy different disks all the time.
  • hobo1940hobo1940 Member Posts: 3
    OK.IT CAN BE DONE I SAY IT CAN BE DONE.I JUST DID IT AND WAS FORTUNATE TO HAVE A JUNK VEHICLE TO GET THE PARTS,THE NEW COST IS VERY EXPENSIVE,SUCH AS THE 5 HARNESSES COST OVER 500 DOLLARS,I TOOK EVERYTHING OUT VERY CAREFULLY,MARKING THE ENDS WHERE THEY CAME FROM,NO YOU CANT BUY JUST THE LOCK HARNESS,ITS INCLUDED IN THE HARNESS,FIRST CHECK IF THE HARNESS HAS THE LOCK WIRING,THE DEALER CAN TELL BY THE VIN NUMBERS.I WAS FORTUNATE WIRING WAS THERE FOR REMOTE AND POWER WINDOWS,SO I INSTALLED THE WINDOWS,GET HOW TO TAKE APART EVERYTHING,IT MAKES IT FASTER,AND I BOUGHT TOOLS FOR THE CONNECTORS ETC.YOU NEED TO CHANGE/ADD STUFF TO THE STEERING COLUMN,TRY TO USE THE SAME YEAR AS YOUR CAR,as aveo changed the plugs on a lot of stuff.IN 06-07,A LOT OF REMOTE STUFF IS IN THE CONSOLE,AT THE SHIFTER,THE RECEIVER MIGHT BE THERE,IF IT IS THE WIRING IS THERE,EXCEPT FOR THE STEERING COLUMN,AND THE DOORS,THERE IS SEVERAL HARNESSES THAT PLUG INTO OTHER HARNESSES,IT TOOK ME ABOUT 1 WEEK TO DO IT ALL.I HAD SOMEONE DO THE WINDOWS,AND DON'T FORGET THE RELAY UNDER THE DASH BUY THE RT. DOOR OR IT WON;'T WORK.OR YOU CAN BUY AN AFTERMARKET KIT FROM JC WHITNEY.I USED A MARKING PEN AND STICKERS TO IDENTIFY WHERE SOMETHING CAME FROM,I USED NUMBERS SUCH AS THE PART HAD A NUMBER I GAVE IT AND THE PLUG GOT THE SAME NUMBER,AND SOME PLUGS I MARKED WHICH SIDE IS UP AND WHICH IS DOWN,MADE IT EASIER TO INSERT,THAT PART WENT FAST,AND THE HOLES TO SUPPORT THE HARNESS ARE THERE JUST PUSH THE PLUG INTO IT.LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP YOU.HOBO
  • hobo1940hobo1940 Member Posts: 3
    U-HAUL HAS HITCHES,AND A HITCH CO.FROM AUSTRALIA HAS CARRIERS,I SEEN THEM LISTED @ JC WHITNEY.BUT GET A U-HAUL HITCH AS THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THERE IS ADAPTORS FOR 11/2 TO 2" ETC.AT ANY TRAILER HITCH MOUNTER.HOBO
  • ccsmartyccsmarty Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2005 Aveo, but somehow the rear speakers are not working (something wrong the the wires), but it's not covered under the warranty. So I bought some new 6.5 inch Panasonic speakers to replace the old ones with. However, I cannot figure out how to remove the grill from the old speakers (so that I can get to the screws to remove the actual speaker). Can someone explain how I am supposed to do this?
    Thanks
    I have the shop manuals. If you will list an email address, I will scan the appropriate pages and email them to you. Create a temporary hotmail address if you like.
    Check your email...Didn't know if you have the sedan or hatch. Let me know if you need additional pages...

Good Luck
  • ccsmartyccsmarty Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your help, busiris. I put the speakers in the other day (only took about 45 minutes), and they work great! Much better sound now that all four speakers are working. :)
  • gene_fitzgene_fitz Member Posts: 9
    My 08 Aveo has the steeringwheel controls. I know it sounds foolish, but I would like to keep them. I like the convenience, not to mention, that is part of why I baught the LT.
    Does anyone know if they make adapters for steeringwheel controls to work with aftermarket stereos?
    Go to www.crutchfield.com and use their Q & A section to ask them. If anyone would know, it would be them...
    You should be able to upgrade the stock unit with an amplifier and speakers to get the sound you want.
  • gene_fitzgene_fitz Member Posts: 9
    The only issue was that I am not a real big fan of adding on all that madness, I mean, yeah, it is great for volume and such, but amps, and extra speakers lead to easy electrical problems.

I just decided to settle with the stock radio, barring any issues it may develop later it it's life, and just learned to crank up the volume a bit.

I did, however add a bass tube to it, to resolve the lack of "low end." Funny though, I had to drop it down to like 1/4 gain to keep from overpowering the rest of the system. It has a pretty level and decent sound now..
  • yngwieyngwie Member Posts: 16
    Hey,I'm hoping someone can tell how to remove the factory cd/radio out of my aveo hatchback. I ordered a Kenwood from crutchfield and wonder how hard it's gona be. Thanks!