Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Accesories & Modifications

Comments

• muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    www.gravanatuning.com has some interesting Aveo parts - some nicer (or at least more understated) front bumpers than the Razzi kit.

Trying to get a picture of the rear bumper from them.
  • atetateatetate Member Posts: 1
    Try looking at www.tirerack.com according to them you can put up to 17" on the vehicle I have 16" on mine and the razzi body kit. As a body kit website try www.razzi.com, www.gravanatuning.com.
  • yl04aveoyl04aveo Member Posts: 9
    first of all. if you know anything at all about rims tirerack.com in the most expensive place to shop. if you want rims with a good deal look a little deeper into the internet. i do like the body kits on gravanatuning.com but i have been looking at the www.Versusmotorsports.com page and the prices are more but they have 2 whole kits that arent even close to the razzi kit. and they dont require a "FALSE" exhaust output.
    you kids make up your minds but that speed kit is looking pretty good to me. :shades:
  • empiredjempiredj Member Posts: 21
    I have been driving a '05 Aven sedan for a few weeks now and while its not the first car I would burn $10,000 on, its a nice little car.

Once the serious suspension options become available, you can turn the little hatchback in a serious contender and be ready for when the modified Rio's, Accent's, Yaris, Scion's and Honda Fits when they come calling on you.

For mods -

I would look at H&R or Apex springs and a solid wheel and tire combo. I personally would go for the JDM effect and run some lightweight 15" wheels and super sticky Hankook or Falken rubber.

For starter mods, I like the Spectre modular CAI system until a smog legal option becomes available, maybe from K&N or AEM.

I would also upgrade the exhaust and add an underdrive pulley.

The engine is ripe for a small injection of nitrous, so your not forced to live in the 17 second zone when you visit the strip or when turbocharged xB's rev on you. You'll be ready for them.

When more parts become available, I feel the the Aveo will be a nice bargin and good entry level car for the compact tuner.

Good Luck out there...
  • driftinaveodriftinaveo Member Posts: 2
    :cry: :mad: :sick: no car, what is a man to do??
    the story goes like this.....
    i was going to pick up my sister, and end that trip after about three minutes, i hit the back side of some one, and did $5500 worth of damage to my car, i want my car back NOW!
    :cry: :sick:
  • driftinaveodriftinaveo Member Posts: 2
    i get my car back in a day or so, i went from bein mad at me self to be happy like when i sign paper on the thing :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good; now you can start thinking about some mods for it instead of just getting it back to where it was!

Steve, Host
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    Glad to hear you are getting your's back soon. :D
  • tron299tron299 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 AVEO LT Hatchback in "Spice Orange." :shades:
    Does anyone know if there is an add on chip for the engine's computer? Or is the engine too new for this to be out yet? I have tried to do a search on this but all I get are references to some sort of "chip" that you glue to the gas tank to give you better gas mileage. :confuse:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
  • mikidymikidy Member Posts: 2
    I have already cleaned up the grilled and remove the chrome & bow tie. Also have taken off the bow tie on the back, tinting the windows this weekend.

Can't decide what to do with the cheap wheel covers. Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • tonycobrettitonycobretti Member Posts: 1
    The only viable chip available currently, is made by nextlevelracing.com (Next Level Performance) It's actually a chip bypass that senses air/fuel mix and then sends altered data to the engines computer. You can increase horsepower by 15-20hp. By the way, you should realize that you can only increase the AVEO's horsepower by 40 horse. Any more horsepower, and the engine and possibly the power train will require modifications.
  • obamaobama Member Posts: 1
    Have you or someone you know used this chip on the aveo before and found it worth buying? :D
  • vincent_viivincent_vii Member Posts: 9
    I am a new owner of a 2006 Aveo Hatch and I was searching for suspension options. I've found that, other than a hand-full of spring sets, there really are none for the Aveo/Kalos/Swift.

I would appreciate any advice on upgrades from any fellow Aveo owners.

I did send an email to KYB asking for avalaible upgrades or if there would be any in the future. I will post my reply if I receive one.

Anyone else interested in contacting KYB with an inquiry should check out http://kyb.com/contact/
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Have been looking for upgraded shocks/struts myself for some time. Have an '04 with 80K miles and the suspension degrades significantly after about 40K miles. Feels like the body is connected to the wheels by marshmallows -- I hate it!

If I hear of ANY non-OEM parts available, will post that info here. I was hoping even Monro or other service chains would come out with replacements by now -- the car has been around for 3 years, after all.
  • geissajgeissaj Member Posts: 14
    Needs lower control arm bushings I'm looking for replacements any information on theses would be appreciated.
    I've been figuring the same myself -- the bushings were a high-wear item on the Daewoos that were the predecessor to the Aveo. Have checked their forum here, and drivers were having wicked torque steer and unstable handling at 30 to 40 thousand miles. That's about where I am now with handling and I have to get it taken care of.

I believe that the bushings are not normally replaced by themselves and Chevy dealers will only put new control arms on.

My regular mechanic thinks the upper strut mount bushings are worn -- I'll replace at the same time as the struts. The problem is, these parts are only available from GM and the work may well have to be done at a dealer.
    Bushings and strut mounts are a contributor. But with any car I've owned before, after 40k miles the struts should probably be replaced anyway.

I got a reply back from KYB. Front struts are pending production and the release date is to-be-announced. Rear struts are already avalable but I'm sure that's because they are compatible with another car already on the market.
    Check out www.energysuspension.com and shoot them an email. The only way to get replacements is to let them know you're out here.

Seriously, check out their page and send them an email.
    Looks interesting -- sent them an email inquiring about any availability for the Aveo. GM tuned this car for a Buick-like ride and it's just turned to mush with higher miles.

We'll see what happens.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    There are engine 'chips' on EBay that SAY they will pump out up to 25 extra horsepower..some are $6!..some are $50. You be the judge. I cant see a $6 chip doing much. I have bought and am waiting for a cold air intake setup to arrive..it SAYS it will pump out 10-13 hp more from the engine. Only $15. and $20 shipping. It has a generic high flow air filter,if I went with a K&N it would have been $45,plus shipping. BUT they said this one will last just as long..it just isnt a K&N. A K&N filter will run you $23-40. If you just want to pop one in and get 2-5 more horses out of the engine. but I got some good feedback from people that bought this cold air intake, and they said they feel the extra horses and their mpg went up by 2-3 mpg! So..for the price I am giving it a shot. I have seen body kits for over $1,600 on EBay. But if i had an extra $1,600,I would have looked to Scion or Honda or Toyota in the first place :) If someone makes a cat back exhaust system, I havent seen it yet. But if I can get 10 extra horses out of the engine,I will be happy. I am not a 16yo kid looking to spin the tires and ruin the car. I want mileage! And a bit more power. I did put in Bosch +4 spark plugs already...I figured GM would put in the cheapest ones..and sure enough, they did. They are not even platinum tipped! All my Fords had platinum tipped ones that at least said you didnt have to change them for 1 million miles!! These cheap NKG ones are just plain old copper ones. These Bosch platinum+4's are very nice. Much smoother start and idle. That means there are 4 electrode tips,instead of the normal 1, to make more spark in the engine and hopefully more power and better mileage. So far I think I am actually getting better mileage. I'll know when I fill up today. And of course...changed to full synthetic oil and a high flow oil filter. So hopefully these easy and fairly inexpensive upgrades are going to do some good. At least I know I have good stuff in my engine. My car was at least 4 months 'old' before I bought it. So that oil was sitting in the engine before I bought it for at least 6 months in total. That could have attracted water to form in the oil,rusting the engine from the inside,old oil makes acids, thats why you have to change it, To get rid of the acids that'eats' the metal. And after only 800 miles, those plugs were already covered in carbon...since I dont do any highway driving, it cant burn off. But the platinum ones burn it off fast and at low speeds. So that saves on gas and makes it run smoother. :)
    IF your still here. I just bought a cold air intake on EBay. go read my post. Hopefully I will get it this week to install. Sounds like you are much more inventive than me. But mine is all polished metal and chrome ...so it might look better. I hope :P
    I totally forgot this mod that I did. You know how the door handle pulls on the inside of the car looks like 'carbon fiber'. I bought a sheet of 'carbon fiber contact paper'and applied it to the perfect circle around the window crank handle. I got the handle off with a window handle removal tool...any car part store has one for $5.00,be careful because the spring you are trying to move with the tool will shoot off very easy,I lost one :( ,had to buy a small box of replacement springs after that,only $2.50 for 10 more!,and then you just cut out a circle of the contact paper bigger than the circle on the door,and apply it to the door,and with your fingernail,gently push it into that circular groove on the door and then cut it with a flat razor or an exacto knife,and you now have the 'carbon fiber' look to match the door handle. The window crank pops right back on,and your done. The sheet of 'carbon fiber' I got on EBay,for like $15.00 total. One person is always selling it for $2.99 a foot on EBay, do a search for,Chevy Aveo Carbon Fiber, and it will come up. I also covered up the two little pieces of 'chrome' on the sides of the automatic shifter with it as well. Those just looked so cheap.And this carried the carbon fiber look thru the car. That has its own grooves all the way around it to..you cant mess it up. As long as you lay it out flat and get the bubbles out of it,the cutting takes 2 mins to do in each area. If I had the patience I would do much more. But I like perfection,so I cant do like around the radio or the passenger airbag cover or the instrument cluster. But it looks really good and wont fade since it is inside,and you rarely touch the surfaces behind the window handle or next to the shifter...it might work on a manual one,I don't know what it looks like. But the window idea works on all Aveos. I was going to do the 'B' pillars on the outside between the doors,but I got the Ventvisors that applied to the outside of the frame,before I found out they make the type that goes INTO the window channel. And it was just to much cutting to look perfect. So I didn't do it. Give it a try. It dresses up the inside for very little money. :D
    I'm part of another Aveo forum and we have been hounding KYB over the past few weeks. The last reply from KYB promised that the struts are on the way. Hang in there guys...

KYB does have rear struts avalible for the Aveo already. I'm told they are in the area of $30 a piece. Hopefully the fronts will be around the same price when released.
    KYB does have rear struts avalible for the Aveo already. I'm told they are in the area of $30 a piece. Hopefully the fronts will be around the same price when released.

You mean rear shocks, right? Checked the KYB and resellers' sites and found no listings for the Aveo. Do you have a link?

Sounds like the right price for a rear shock, I'd expect the front struts to be double that, though.
    Sorry, I did mean shocks for the rear.

Apparently retailers are having a hard time getting the product # for the rear shocks (already avalible). I've heard that Pepboys can pull up the stock # for the shocks but can't get them yet. If you email KYB they should give you the part #. I had an email from KYB but I accidently deleted it. Sorry.

I'm just going to wait until both products are avalible before I attempt to order anything.

Also, I recently heard (from an aveo forum) that KYB is not planning to release performance AGX struts/shocks for the car. So it looks like GR2s will be all we get. Which isn't such a bad thing. Better than stock...
    Thanks -- will wait for the complete front/rear set. Also hope that upper strut mounts are available as well, since mine are worn. I noticed on KYB's site that they offer them for many models in addition to struts/shocks.
    I don't know if KYB mounts will be avalible or not. Hope so, too. If not, check out the mounts that are there... sometimes they can be fabricated with good old home depot parts. :)
  • optus3optus3 Member Posts: 7
    if anyone speaks german can you find out what body-kit the green Kalos has on it at:
    http://www.autoextrem.de/showthread.php?t=55496&page=2

Cheers
  • gabormgaborm Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to get my cd/mp3 player working with ID3 tags. I tried burning the CDs with different setup, no subdirectories, with subdirectories, mp3/wma's mixed, not mixed, with playlist files, without playlist files, stripped ID3 tags, full v1&v2 tag infos, but nothing. The player displays only the filename of the audio file.

Any hint about how to prepare my files and how to burn them to CD to be able to display the ID3 tags on the display would be apreciated.
  • gabormgaborm Member Posts: 3
    Ok, i figured out that i have to push the Info/Display button, but it changes back to filename display every time a new song starts. Is there any way to make it permanent?
  • aveo8817aveo8817 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone!

I have just recently purchaced a 2006 ls Chevy Aveo, Red 5-door. Im looking to upgrade my stereo to the Best Stock Stereo available ( The one on the LT version, with the AUX input/output, 6-cd changer and all the other extras ). THe problem im running into is i have no idea where to buy it. Does anyone know where on the internet i could find it, or would i have to goto the dealership and look for the system there? Also, if anyone knows the pice of one that would be great too. Thanks!

-Garrett
    Hi guys,
    I'm upgrading the exhaust system in my Kalos. Any suggestions? Does anyone know much about the Borla Boomer range. Is it any good or just louad drone?
    Oz
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    You should be able to find one on Amazon or Ebay.
    Hi. No offense meant. But why do you want a stock radio? I have the 'mid level' one in mine I guess...1 cd player with the MP3 player,...but you can go to Crutchfields online, and find over 100 different radios to fit the Aveo..and customize your car. They cost from $79-$600. You can buy mine if you'd like to buy a 'mid level' one! A hell of a lot cheaper than from Chevy. If you try to buy that factory one you are talking about..I think it is nearly $400. It costs Chevy like $50 to put it in when the car is being built. After they sell the car is when they screw you. IF you want to upgrade. So,go to Crutchfields or email me and I'll sell you a perfectly good 'mid level' one..if you care to go that way.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I would suggest that you visit Crutchfield.com.

I got a very nice unit there for 129.00, with everything I needed for installation included.
    Anyone know where I can find some help for installing a CAI into a Daewoo Kalos/ Checy Aveo. Any help would be great.
    Oz
    anyone know of a Borla header to fit the Aveo/Kalos?
  • professorbprofessorb Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a cold air intake off of Ebay for my 2004 Aveo. The problem is removing the air temp sensor and placing it in the new intake tube. It looks like it is glued into the stock rubber tube. Is there an after market air sensor I can buy to fit into the new intake tube? On the plus side, it looks really cool.
    Thanks,
    ProfessorB
    For those of us on a budget, and who isn't, I just bought a set of Proline aluminum wheels from Pepe Boys in California at $200 for the set of 4. They come in several sizes and appear well built.
    Enjoy,
    ProfessorB
    You bought that too? It took me 3 hours to get the temp sensor out...i finaly had to cut the rubber around the sensor with a razor to get it out..then it didnt fit in the metal tube that I was sent. And I could never get it into the rubber grommet they sent to put it into that tube. I have been trying to get my money back for 3 weeks now! The thing doesnt even fit under the hood. The air filter hit the hood when i tried to close it. I never could get the sensor to fit into the metal tube, into that rubber grommet they supplied. The cone shaped air filter they sent arrived damaged and when I told them it didnt fit and it arrived damaged, their reply was..'oh well,that happens'. They insist that it fits, it doesnt,and the filter has no support, it just flops around, laying on top of one of the A/C pipes. In other words, It is junk! IF you manage to get it in, I'd love to see it or hear about it. If you are going to use the temp sensor, you dont need the old factory tube, so just cut it out of the tube with a razor. It pops right out. Then try to get it into that rubber grommet,then into the metal tube! Good luck!!
    what brand was that off ebay? I wanna stay away from those dudes for sure
    the one I bought from Ebay was from Track Racing. I have tried to call their "customer service" but they keep telling me that somebody will call back. Of course they never do. I think the answer is to find an after market air temp sensor that fits in the rubber grommeted hole. If I find one I will let the forum know ASAP. I knew this thing was a risk since none of the major air intake people like Air Raid and K&N had a system to fit this application yet. Oh well caveat emptor or let the buyer beware!
    Alan
    I think I saw on here that some had removed the REAR Chevy gold bowtie off of their hatchback, but now I cant find the posting. So,does anyone know how to do it? Does it leave any holes? :confuse: Usually these things are held on with 1-3 little pins,and if you remove it,you end up with holes on your car. Guess the car comapnies want you to advertise their comapny as much as possible! I tried the FRONT bowtie/chrome removal from the grill. But it left an area that wasn't mesh shaped, to me I could see where it came off..and it looked like a part fell off. So I have to live with the 'gold bowtie and chrome' in the front. But if it won't leave any holes in the back. I'd love to remove all that chrome and that gold bowtie from the hatchback.
    I am STILL trying to return my system from Trac Racing from EBay too! Did you ever get yours on or did you give up like I did...after seeing it wouldn't fit under the hood when i tried to close it and the air sensor also wouldnt fit into the rubber grommet they put in the little hole they put in the metal tube. So..how far did you get? Did you get a refund yet? I am in dispute with them with my credit card company and with PayPal.
    Has anyone found a dealer that sells the hard plastic molded hood protector for the Aveo...it is in the brochure of optional parts for the car. I called all my local Chevy dealers and they all say it isn't available! I am looking at it in the brochure, so you would think it must be available to buy. I have the Le bra hood protector,but it touches the hood and this plastic one doesnt,so it won't scratch the paint,and it is very stylish,it lays flat and looks good! Does anyone have a dealer near them that sells it? If so,got a name and a number i could call to order it from them? Thanks.
  • dsm_97gst_t3t4dsm_97gst_t3t4 Member Posts: 4
    its not impossible to supercharge or turbo charge any kind of car you can do it, simply put who makes a supercharger or turbo charging kit for the aveo my girl wants hers to faster and wants it to be turboed if i could think myself of exactly what the car needs i would the car has pretty low compression 9:5:1 compression i think thats what i saw anyways i was thinking about going with a with a t-d04 which is a t-24 or t-25 turbo with came on ford probes and came on the 2nd gen eclipse, or put a 1 gen eclipse turbo which is a little bit bigger which is a t-d05h they would work i know they would,but i will need custom header that has the aveo exhaust flange and the turbo inlet flange which would be like an eclipse then i will need2.5 inch piping that goes from the turbo to the intercooler,through the intercooler out the other side to the throttle body,i will need a maf sensor that can read how much air is coming in that the turbo is sucking in through the air filter and pipe that connects to the turbo,i will need a exhaust that will fit an eclipse t-d05h exhaust side but it will have to be atleast 3 inches in diameter (the pipe) and it will have to fit in the same spot as the aveos original exhaust and its hangers the intercooler can be sidemount or front mount i can use my old eclipse side mount but the real question i want to ask is does anybody make these parts and do they have after market mass air flow censors for that and do they have a cpu that will be able to read that or is there a place that you can get the computer done and get it flashed please let me know anyones advice any websites anything will help i know how to do a turbocharged car and i pretty much know what i need but i need to know if theres anything that can help me out cause believe me that cars getting turbocharged and its gonna get set to like 12-14 psi one day i dont know if i would be the first to do it on a aveo but if there is no kit ill be making one soon and i can let you all know what all you need thanks alot
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    DO NOT FALL FOR IT!

Their part was not Aveo specific, didn't fit, 2 months in and no money back!
  • jemo13jemo13 Member Posts: 1
    This looked like a good forum to be a part of. I picked up an '05 sedan last year as a daily driver while working on my old project car ('95 dodge neon). After a month of driving my Aveo i just had to make it faster. Within no time i rid myself of the neon and got straight to work. After playing around with many intakes for the Aveo i found that a simple rig gave me the best results. It was as simple as taking out the top of the air box and adding a "Bomz" cone filter right onto the stock tube. Believe it or not the difference in power was amazing. Along with the added power the sound is extremely aggresive. I highly recommend giving this a shot. I also recently recharged my "Bomz" filter with a K&N recharge kit and i wont be looking for an aftermarket intake after this point. If anyone trys it out let me know what you think. Im also looking for any info on the Kalos and where i can get the "stock" front bumper.
    After giving up on a cold air intake system,I think I am going to go for the K&N high flow air filter. They cost so much,but I usually put them in all my vehicles, but I RARELY see or feel any difference in mileage or pick up. BUT,has anyone put one in an automatic hatchback Aveo, and seen any improvment at all in speed or mpg? I hate throwing away up to $35 on a filter if I don't get at least a few extra ponys from the engine. :confuse: