Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

Comments

• mopar_rickmopar_rick Member Posts: 16
    I would have to agree with shipo and think that eric8190 needs to put his glasses on. The Challenger is one of the most anticipated cars to come out in a long tme. It's been on the cover of numerous magazines. But, I guess that everyone is intitled to their own opinion, but if you read through the comments on this site, eric8190 is in the vast minority.

I've been counting down the days for the Challenger for a long time. I wish that we could get more information on it.
  • forgekiller1forgekiller1 Member Posts: 7
    UM...ERIC8190,
    I AGREE AGAIN WITH MOPAR RICK , PUT EM ON . I JUST SEEM TO THINK THAT YOUR EITHER ANTI DODGE PRO FORD OR CHEVY AND PUTTING OUT FALSE SLANDER ON A TRUE ,YEAH , THAAATS RIGHT, TRUE MUSCLE CAR THAT WILL BE THEE HEAD TURNER OF THIS DECADE. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU JUST PUT OUT HERE THAT SHOULD SIMPLY STAY WITH YOU. MUSTANG CAMARO OK NICE GOOD LOOKING CARS BUT YOU SHOULD DO SOME THINKING ABOUT THIS. OH BY THE WAY I'M NOT SHOUTING , I NEED TO LEARN MY KEY BOARD BETTER, ILL WORK ON IT. DON'T FORGET , YOU'D BE EATIN' SUSHI RIGHT NOW IF IT WASN'T FOR DODGE SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY, OR I'LL GIVE YOU A HISTORY LESSON, YOU CAN GIVE ME A KEYBOARD LESSON. PEACE OUT BRO! THANK YOU , HEY MOPAR RICK, SHES COMING MAN , REAL SOON, LATER
  • hxcperformancehxcperformance Member Posts: 2
    2008 HXC Challenger / 1971 Hemi Cuda re-creation
    HXC Performance
  • C2456RonC2456Ron Member Posts: 58
    Although I do not totally agree with "eric8190", I have to say that the new "Camaro" is an awesome looking car, retro, yet very much updated, and will be a true performer! But as "js23rfc7" said in closing his Post, he'd come looking for the "ZO6 Vette's" and "ZL1 Camaro's" (which use the Corvette motors also), I sincerely hope he is prepared to watch their tail lights disappear into the horizon!

Granted I am NOT a MOPAR Man, but I am very Happy to see ALL these Muscle Car's return, it is really great that these true "Factory Race Car's" are hitting the street with a vengeance! But to think that this "Hemi Cuda" will ever come close to a "Vette", regardless if a "ZO6" or just a Plain Jane (IF there ever was such a thing:] LS2 or LS3 "Corvette", he will never see that happen! Nice Dream though! :D

Anyone of these "Corvette's" have withstood the test of time, are still around after 55 years, and are ALL (53 to 08) still Head Turners, and with just Bolt On after market performance parts, you can get a 400HP or 436HP "Vette" up to atleast 850HP, and I have seen some with upwards of 1000+HP! The "ZO6" is an animal of a different color, with it's 505HP stock factory configuration, I'm ALMOST afraid to think what this car is capable of in the right hands! So what he is saying just don't hold water!

I do like the new "Hemi Cuda", but please let's stay on THIS Planet, you will have a true Muscle Car but a Corvette it will NEVER be, or BEAT in looks or performance! I restored an '87 "Vette" and everywhere I went with that car, people would be getting whiplash from trying to get a better look when it was passing by, or parked!

My C6, Z51 "Vette" is up near 450HP, and I have had little trouble with anything I've comeup against! My plans are to get it up to 600HP, and stop there, which should not be too difficult with what's available now! But I DO wish him a lot of Luck with his new "Hemi Cuda", and if he proves me wrong, so be it! It will just be like the days of old, with "my car is faster then your car"! Those are the days I would really enjoy seeing all over again! Good Luck "js23rfc7", maybe we'll meet someday on a Track to show our stuff, I can only hope!!! :shades: :shades: :shades:

BTW: I have this text on my Driver's side rear view mirror: "Objects in this Mirror are Losing", and this always seems to be the case!
  • jksunkist1jksunkist1 Member Posts: 2
    I THINK THE NEW CHALLENGER WILL SMOKE THE 2004 GTO.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    and are ALL (53 to 08) still Head Turners

Yeah, but its what you do when you turn your head that counts. Some ('70s) make you turn your head and vomit. Some ('90s) make you turn your head and shrug your shoulders at seeing yet another vette. Some ('50s and '60s) actually grab my attention in a good way.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

"shipo", I will not even discuss that situation, as I really do NOT like the new GTO at all! It's nothing but a sedan, with a 6 Liter Engine, and is BUTT UGLY as sin! I think the designers had a "Brain Fart" when doing that vehicle over, and doubt they had any hopes of ever selling anymore then a possible 100 (1 hundred) units in the entire world! As the saying goes; "There's a Sucker Born Everyday", so I am sure they will sell atleast a few! As far as the "Hemi Cuda", I DO like it's looks, even though they didn't even attempt to make it look new, yet retro! I am sure that it WILL go quite well down the Quarter Mile, as most Hemi's do, and do a lot for Chrysler's image, back into the "Muscle Car Race"!

Did you see the after thought for the windshield washer? They placed the nozzle's halfway down the hood, and those plastic nozzle’s look awful for the lines of the car, if you want to call those lines, and left them Black, not even trying to hide them with the color of the car!!! I am willing to bet that the windshield washer's could wash the windshields of 1, possibly 2 vehicle's behind it, on a Highway!!! :cry: So you have no argument with me over that duel, the entire GTO looks more like a Pontiac G6, with a big motor and is a total after thought, bummer, PEROID!!!! :blush: :sick: :lemon:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm still trying to figure out how I got pulled into this Cuda vs. GTO discussion. :confuse:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    qbrozen" There is no such thing as "JUST A VETTE"!!! That is why GM keeps it as their Flagship vehicle, only building 30,000 to 35,000 per year, with a few exceptional collector Vette's every now and then! I've owned 4 Corvette,s, ALL Head Turner's, and you would have to have owned one to even know the feeling! Not EVERYONE can or will buy a Vette (even though children as young as 8 or 10 years old would LUV to have one, and Dream of that day to come), it takes a special kind of person, just like it takes a special kind of person to buy a Cuda! BUT a Hemi Cuda will NEVER be a Vette, no way in H***!!! That is also the reason that most Vette's, from '53 to present time, are STILL out there, and driven on weekends, and some even as daily driver's!
    There is no such thing as "JUST A VETTE"!!!

But there is such a thing as personal opinion. They are a great performance bargain, no doubt. And I'd love to have a Z06 for that reason. But other than the 50s and 60s vettes, I don't find them attractive. On strictly appearance, 350Zs grab my attention far more.

by the way, 30k-35k cars a year is not that small of a number, especially for a flagship. In comparison, Subaru only sent about two-thirds that number here the first year of the WRX. I'm not sure of 350z numbers.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Sorry "shipo" if I got the name wrong, your name was in the header of the Post I read, so I replied! Please forgive me if there was a mistake!

C6Ron
    Sorry but ANYONE who would choose a piece of "[non-permissible content removed] Crap", over American has no taste in Car's at all!!! Just your and my opinion's! "Buy American", KEEP our people working, not the little guys that are taking all our jobs! Sure they have Plants in the US, but only pay about $10. an hour! You can have your "[non-permissible content removed] Crap", "Rice Rocket", I'll keep Driving my Corvette's, and they WILL last, and will always have people looking and asking how I did this or that, and telling me what a Great Looking car it is! And 15 years from now, mine will STILL be worth a lot of money, while the "[non-permissible content removed] Crap" will be scraped, and crushed, JUNK!!! Thank You!!! Just MY Opinion!!!
    thanks for the laugh, ron.

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    No worries. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks Ron for your comment. It made my Monday great and thanks for the new saying [non-permissible content removed] Crap for Scrap. I maybe a Mopar guy, but us American car guys have to stick together and get rid of this [non-permissible content removed] Crap. They think that they are pulling the wool over our eyes by saying that they employ Americans. Most of the profits go back to Japan. They use this money to brainwash us with all their advertising. I'm so nauseated seeing these freaking Toyota commercials. I'm glad that Ford beat them in initial quality this year. Talking about resale value, did you see the 1970 Toyota priced at 1 million dollars??? Oh I forgot, even if it was able to make it to 2007, they would have to pay to get rid of it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hello? Anyone read the discussion title here? Back on topic, please, or the posts get zapped. Muchas gracias.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• agc2007agc2007 Member Posts: 4
    I'm just entering this discussion, and agree. I don't know how this turned into a Plymouth versus Chevrolet feud. I look forward to the new Challenger. I enjoyed the concept car, even though I have concern about the curb weight. The Shelby GT500 hits the scales at more than 3,900 lbs. The new Camaro is projected to come in at 3,700. The Challenger is reported to hover around 4,000. Dodge engineers must find a way to cut back on weight. The whole idea of muscle cars was making the best out of the power-to-weight ratio.
    I don't know how this turned into a Plymouth versus Chevrolet feud.

Its the nature of the beast. Where there is an american muscle car, there is a feud. ;b

• zztop3zztop3 Member Posts: 23
    At this point, I am less worried about weight than I am about whether this car is going to actually make it off the production floor.

I have been following this car since I first saw the prototype at the car show 2 - 3 years ago.
    It was/is to be available in the 2008 model year.

The first Red one with a Memi is mine. I am on a waiting list at 2 dealeships near me but they are clueless as to what the status of this car is.

Here is what worries me:
    I just got my October issue of Road&Track titled "Top 20 cars for 2008" and the Challenger is NOT mentioned anywhere.
    Obviously it would be near the top of that list so perhaps they know something we do not.

The Dodge website has a date of february,2008 but that is merely marketing fluff and I don't beliebve it for a second.

I am wondering if the fact that Cerberus took ownership of about 80% of Chrysler Group has put a wrinkle in production plans for this car.
    zztop3,

I also have not heard a word. I have been on 5 different lists and nobody is saying a word. I have a deposit down at one of the dealerships to place an order. The last that I heard was that it is still a go and that was in the middle of July. The Cerberus thing might have an influence, but at this point, I would think that they have a lot of money invested in tooling for body panels that it would be foolish to cancel the car especially with the high demand that it has generated, but I wouldn't be surprised. Another variable in the equation is that Chrysler just hired two top executives from Toyota to take over running the operations. How that will influence the production is unknown. On a positive note, nobody heard a word about the Avenger until the last minute when it was in production so it just might be the game plan that Dodge follows. Just my take on the whole thing.

Rick
  • banetbanet Member Posts: 2
    Oh they are going to sell it to you. And we'd love to see a somewhat nimble looking tire shredder.But as I see more chrysler 300's going by. I can't help but feel we are getting something that fits in that mold. You could have put radical lines on this challenger. Instead it'll get radical advertisement. Why it doesn't catch one's eye oh I don't know girth, maybe.
    I seen a video on this very car, the magazine that did the video had taken one of the Prototypes to various hangouts in CA to see what the response would be! They had it at one hangout that was all MOPAR's, and parked it along side of an old, original Challenger! It looked almost identical, except for being more aerodynamic and updated, I see hardly any difference at all! I doubt that your Post really applies (no offence), but WE ARE all here to voice our own personal opinion on this vehicle, and this is only MHO after seeing that video! I just hope that they DO keep this vehicle on their list of cars to come out in '08! It would be a huge loss to everyone that ever had the privilege of growing up in the era of the "Muscle Car", or the people that could only read about it! This could be someone's dream of being a part of that Era!!! The "Muscle Cars" are back! :shades: :shades: :shades:
    I don't know if anyone has seen it yet, but Dodge is starting to advertise the 2008 Challenger. I saw it during a NASCAR race. They advertised all the new Dodges and at the end they showed a 1970 Challenger and next to it was the new Challenger that drove off. It's only a matter of time!!!
  • banetbanet Member Posts: 2
    Identical, that tire and fender confirguration is thick. Old challenger was sleek in front. Will that front lift at all when you take off? Or is the suspension maxxed already with 20's on it. The look is sort of that low ride, cruiser look you see in the custom mags. Maybe it will look different in person. Gotta see where they positioned the driver, and all that stuff. Before I concur either way. It's a new era, new things.
    I doubt you will see those 20 inch tire/wheel's on the front, or possibly even the rear! In the video I seen, the Factory Reps were adamant about any hard turns, aggressive acceleration, and use caution over over Speed Bumps or Pot Holes! That configuration just will not work the way the body sits on the frame, in relation to the tire/wheel size and placement! They will hit the body and the frame even with the slightest of turns, bumps and acceleration! I believe they were even told not to go over 20 to 30 mph due to tire rub! So Chrysler will have to do something about that configuration! I agree it is wider then the older version, but feel this is to help the handling and stability of the vehicle! I do believe that all the differences we see in this New Challenger are the result of all these years of refinement in the handling of all vehicles on the road today! They are all safer to drive, especially at highway speeds due to the newer configurations! This is only my opinion on the new Challenger and I am not trying to argue the fact that there is a huge difference between old and new when sitting side by side! But safety has always been the deciding factor in building all new cars, from the smallest to the largest of vehicles today. Maybe this don't always work the way they are supposed to, but we have to give credit where it is due, and in safety the factories have done an awful lot to keep us all alive, even the most aggressive of drivers! I guess just my being able to Post or even use a computer is testament to that! ;)PS: Thanx "MOPAR_Rick", I watched the Race but missed that commercial, DARN!!! :shades: :sick:
  • m6vxm6vx Member Posts: 142
    I doubt you will see those 20 inch tire/wheel's on the front, or possibly even the rear! In the video I seen, the Factory Reps were adamant about any hard turns, aggressive acceleration, and use caution over over Speed Bumps or Pot Holes! That configuration just will not work the way the body sits on the frame, in relation to the tire/wheel size and placement! They will hit the body and the frame even with the slightest of turns, bumps and acceleration! I believe they were even told not to go over 20 to 30 mph due to tire rub! So Chrysler will have to do something about that configuration!

That Challenger is a SHOW CAR, used to see what car buyers think about it. Only after the positive reviews, did the Challenger program get approved. That's when all the final decisions and engineering get done.
  • gphilpgphilp Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I've been looking for info on the new Challenger but I don't find anything at dodge.ca
    I ultimately want to find out how to get on a waiting list for one!
    thanks
    Gregor
    Saw this in the paper.

------
    "Dodge Challenger No. 1 will be auctioned at the 37th annual Barret-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale, Ariz. on Jan. 12-20, 2008......"

"Dodge Challenger No. 2....... through a private auction for Dodge dealers that begins on Sept. 26."

"In addition to the No.1 and No.2 Challengers, Chrysler will auction off a third Dodge Challenger through eBay.com early next year."

Got deep pockets? ;-)
  • gphilpgphilp Member Posts: 2
    Hi, so where can you get on the waiting list for the new Challenger?
    And does anyone have any pics of what the car looks like? We've all seen the concept car but what's the actual car like?
    Gregor
    Gregor,

There are numerous waiting lists out there. You have to go to your dealership. I've been on 5 lists since last year. Two dealerships actually are taking deposits to put orders in. You have to check in your area. The pictures are all over the net and the production version is supposed to be very close to the concept car.

Rick
  • rivkyrivky Member Posts: 1
    This Sema shaker scoop on the Chrysler concept was made for the new Chargers and Magnums by Danko Reproductions Inc (Danko Direct) and is sold on Ebay
    link title

link title
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    The production model hasn't been released yet... we still have 92 more days until the unveiling of it!! I can't wait... I am really impressed with the Challenger. I especially love how they blended the 1970's retro model with modern details to keep it 21st century.
    http://www.dodgechallengercountdown.com/
  • eliminator219eliminator219 Member Posts: 3
    In the 70S I had both Cudas and Challengers. I really loved them, wish I had kept at least one! Since I heard that they were going to build the Challenger again, I've been waiting very patiently. Now that its coming into being real, I really got excited then I heard all the new rumors that its only going to be only in Orange and that the 352 engine is all the bigger the Hemi is going to be**** I guess I will tell my Dealer to cancel my order and wait another year..I for one, if I cant have a 426 or at least a 392 I dont want any!! As far as the Transmission goes If the car was geared right the 727 Auto would run with the 4 speed any day. But to each his own..I ran in the 10s in the 70s, why would I wan a car to run in the mid 11s now?
    you are basing your decision on rumors?

I just looked up the site where they tell you this Challenger comes with a 6.1 Ltr 425 HP motor! I was around back in the old days (gees I hate saying that) and the 426 cu in Hemi of old put out 425 HP, same as this one! Today they are able to do things with smaller engines and put out twice or triple the HP, with more reliability!

The technology today is fantastic, I am amazed at what they are doing with engines, transmissions, clutches, and so on!!! I look back at the iron block 427 Ford, it was twice the physical size but couldn't get half the HP they can develop with the new engines! Just the clutch in my Vette only takes 7 lbs of foot pressure to depress and I can hold that down all day long!!! My '68 Ram Air 4-4-2 had a 4200 lb pressure plate and it would take all I could do to hold that thing down in traffic! :sick:

What you get today in technology makes ALL our Muscle Cars of old look sick in comparison!!! Again this is only MY opinion, but do the math and see what things are like today in relation to our time ("Factory Muscle Car" days), in the 60's & 70's! :blush: I have also heard that this new Challenger will come in some of the retro colors, WHEN it actually does come out (somewhere around April '08)! :shades:

I would keep my order in IF I were you, just to see if the new Challenger meets your expectations! You can always cancel it, if you don't like what you see or feel!! I'm not a MOPAR Man, but I really like the looks of this car and if it goes as well as they claim you may just keep it :) Again only MY opinion!
    Dodge announced pricing today for the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT®8. The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the car is $37,995, which includes $675 destination. Due to unprecedented demand, Dodge dealers will begin taking orders on Dec. 3 for the limited edition Challenger SRT8.

I went to my dealer today and requested this information and he said he would check, That is after I had to go thru all the conservation that all I want is a Super stock Race Car, Not a street Car.. Who even knows what class it would run in with the rumor of it weighing 4000 lbs and the 6.1 is around 372 cubic Inches. If anyone can give me some help on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.
    eliminator219
  • davertdavert Member Posts: 23
    Hey, all. Standard features and options for the Challenger SRT-8 were just posted at http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html
  • oldtoololdtool Member Posts: 2
    Today (Monday) I went to visit my local Dodge dealer like the website says. I had my screen capture in hand stating today was the day. I was hoping to at least get an option sheet so I could prepare my order. I was in and out in 60 seconds. They didn't appear to have anything...didn't appear to know anything...but promptly told me they were taking deposits for deals at $40,000 over sticker! Heck, that's what the Ford GT supercar's premiums were. That's twice as much as the Shelby Mustang's premium is! That's as much as the car itself costs!

This was Planet Dodge in Humble, Texas about 2:45PM today. Has anyone else ran across this fiasco?
    EOF
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    wow. might as well buy a Z06 instead.
    or how about $20k discount, and buy a cherry used GTO-naro,
    if you can handle its wild styling.?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I believe it. I saw a Mugen Civic Si listed at $5k "market adjustment" over MSRP. It was a $35k Civic!

-mike
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I went to my dealer today and requested this information and he said he would check, That is after I had to go thru all the conservation that all I want is a Super stock Race Car, Not a street Car.. Who even knows what class it would run in with the rumor of it weighing 4000 lbs and the 6.1 is around 372 cubic Inches. If anyone can give me some help on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.
    eliminator219

You'd probably need to contact Dodge Motorsports directly, most dealers will not get involved in motorsports related cars unfortunately.

-mike
    You most likely are right, I will give it a try.No one seems to know anything about it or Some wont even return my calls. It just seem that all the Chrysler people that I knew have either retired or Died. Guess that I just lived to long, People ask me why I want another Race car at my age, They want to know if Im in my second childhood and I tell them that I've never got out of my first!

Les
  • oldtoololdtool Member Posts: 2
    $5000 premium

Had a friend stop in a different dealership. Clear Lake Dodge is taking orders at $5000 over sticker. That's more like it! Sunroofs are an option.
    EOF
  • hasaanhasaan Member Posts: 1
    blush: hey i got a question which do u think i betta the new 08 challenger or would it be worth wild just waiting for the 08-09 camaro
    ???
    that is a question only you can answer.
    Some are bowtie people. Some are mopar people.
    Some prefer the look of the upcoming camaro. Some prefer the Challenger.
    Ain't choices grand?

IF you are looking for personal opinions (which is all you can receive with the question you asked), I've never been a Camaro guy. Unfortunately, I grew up during the time when Camaros were relegated to guys with slicked hair, 2 too many buttons undone on their shirt, and gold chains. On the other hand, the Challenger is the 1 vehicle from the musclecar era I could ever see myself owning.

• jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if the SRT8s that are equipped with the Tremec 6spd would be subject to the gas-guzzler tax? Or is it just the auto, assuming this is similar to the Monaro/GTO? I hope unlike that car, the Tremec isn't a $700 option.

I think the V6 will help with sales, and am wondering what the pricing will be on the base Hemi V8. I'm still on the fence on getting on, particularly since petrol prices are currently in the $3+ range in my neck of the woods. Luckily I have a couple of years to think about this purchase (who knows what petrol prices will be at that time).

I hope these dealers know what they're doing by putting such high ADM on these cars. I think buyers need to get over their "gotta have it now" feeling and make the dealers hold the line on the pricing. In the end the buyers have the power - I'm disappointed in the gouging to say the least. Not really feeling the Barrett-Jackson auction either, this just makes matters worse in terms of pricing for us common folk. :sick: I've also seen a couple of pre-listings in eBay, people asking $20K minimum over the price they pay for the car. So that could mean some sucker will pay upwards of $65K for this. As with the ridiculous ADM on the Shelbys (particularly the GT500), I say for that cash buy a used Z06. I was really hoping the dealers would hold the line on this one...

But in the end the main thing is that the car is going to be reality and should bring some spark to Mother MoPar!!
    It's been really aggravating so far. Yes, we should let these dealers sit on these cars. But in reality, it won't happen. People will be willing to pay for them. I heard yesterday that they're thinking about manufacturing more than 5000 units, but less than 10,000. I've been waiting for over two years for this car and had my name on my dealer's list for a year after they promised me that they would not charge a surcharge on top of the MSRP. I had no problem paying the MSRP considering the how long that I've been waiting for the car, but I was just told that they are adding $30,000 to the price of the car. With the gas-guzzler fee, my gig, the bigger tires, and tax the price will be $75,000. I could almost get a Viper for that price.

Does anybody know if the first (new model-not 1960's) Shelby GT500's that they were getting an extra $30,000 are valued more than the next ones off the assembly line. Is it worth paying this surcharge just to get the first ones off the line?
This discussion has been closed.