Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

Comments

• Options
    dbushdbush Member Posts: 1
    Daimler Chrysler has done what both Ford and Chevy have failed to do, and they really nailed it in the process. This is what the Muscle head boomers have been requesting for years. This car, unlike the Mustang and Camaro, says '70's MUSCLE!!'all over,in all caps with a double explaination point! Thanks Dodge, way to go, don't change a thing, or you're Plum Crazy!
  • Options
    71vert71vert Member Posts: 6
    With that information, I think the challenger is the best thing chrysler has come up with since they stopped the e-body production! The camaro looks like a spacecar on the inside lacking any retro appeal. The outside has a slight 69' camaro feel. I am definatly excited about the challenger and I hope they keep the price coparible to the rest of the pony line. That is what kills sale: example the viper and the prowler.
  • Options
    challenger07challenger07 Member Posts: 7
    I called my buddy a sales manager at Dodge.

Im on the list first name to put a deposit on a Challanger.
    He said to exspect a call late this spring to put a deposit on the car and get it ordered Dodge told him they may bump up the timeline a bit.

I own a 05 magnum rt awd and love it.
    I hear the new Challenger wont change much at all from the concept only a few minor changes wil occur other than that this is no Charger or gto hype .This is the real deal .

It will crush the mustang!And look so good doing it.

He told me today as I was added to the list he may need a deposit by late this summer 2006 to start the build and too assure I get one of the first ones in early to mid 07.
    No rush Ive waitied 30 years for this!

I hear the production has been bumped up a bit so to compete with Ford and the new mustang. The gto dosnt event come close too these two retro cars,nor the new charger.

This car is simply what all others cant seem to do .
    Get the public what they want..
    Im sold and only have seen pics Ill be wating and counting the days.
  • Options
    The challenger I hear is starting at 35k I figure and have budgeted 40-42k loaded to the gills .Then add tax etc.Ill most likely dump a big down payment on the car asap to keep payments with in reason.
    Who cares about gas prices when you only live once and this is a once in a lifetime oppertunity .

I hear several powerplants may be used but then hear from dodge only the 435 hp and a 500 hp engine both v8 will be available.This is the most exciting thing to hit Detroit in years not event the new stang can come close Dodge hit a grand slam with this car .
    If its like my rt magnum it will be a great car .
  • Options
    The new Challenger has captured the essence of is past perfectly.
    Now dont ruin it (Dodge) like you did the Charger.

Im a baby boomer with cash to burn make this car a reality and youll see people flock to buy it.

2.50 a gallon for gas is nothing it would have to hit 5.00 per gallon before id count this car out.Here that dodge now get making them .

Oh and dont forget alpine white when you make up the color charts DC..
  • Options
    Its an (all carbon fiber body) thats ureal !!!
    The whole car is carbon fiber and they leave the hood stripe exposed looks great in my opinion.The car is stunning .
    It hit me like the magnum did a few years back I knew Id own one of those,and I do .

I figure the extra bucks with be worth to own such a retro cool car .Theres so much motre to this car than the charger and magnum have to offer.The interior is awsome and has many touches the others do not.
    I figure the little things add up .

I plan on 35k to start .My magnum rt awd carried a 38k sticker I picked it up last june for 33,500 and I thought that was a great deal for such well thought out vehicle.
    I cant recommend the car enough it is been fantastic not a single issue but cheal tires ..
    Gotta pay to play .
    Id do 40k for this Challenger loaded no problem .
    Now add tax,ouch ..
    Im packing away money already for a huge down payment knowing this car is coming out in the summer of 07 and Ill have one gauranteed..
    Ill most likely own it till I die,but Im a 30 year old 43 year old which leads me to this car to beging with .
    Gotta love what dodge is up too..
  • Options
    I bet the fit and finish will be like the magnum & 300c very acceptable unlike the older Challenger I owned the door gaps and hood gaps where sad.The rattles would drive you mad on a road trip not to mantion sqeeks but thats a much diferent dodge.
    Dont foget guys its all about the buck and DC is packed full of german tech now.Thats why I bought the magnum over several other cars out there the qaulity is so much better than I remember so support US made steel.

This is such a hybrid muscle car Im impressed way beyond chevys new camaro which they should have never had trashed to begin with.I own a c5 vette and love it now I want the challenger for once a week take to the store car etc..

The mustang has seemed to wake these guys up..
    I wont sleep till theres one of these beasts in my garage.LOl.
  • Options
    I just read its a all carbon fiber body ...Im sold.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e531

Photo slideshow and video... plus, you want it built? Comment on the blog as well that you'd like to see this hitting the streets.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My 12 year old son and I often differ on cars. Yes, he thought my 530i SP 5-Speed done all up in black was pretty cool, however, when I started casting my eyes toward the A3 as a replacement for the 530i, things were different. "The A3", he opined, "is a station wagon and as such is a dork car. Please don't get that, I wouldn't want to be seen dead in that."

I responded with, "Ummm, Son, the A3 is considered to be a pretty cool car with most young folks, wagon or no."

"I don't care, it's a dork car." Then I showed him the pictures of the new Challenger he said, "Ummm, Dad? Ummm, if you get one, would you take me to school in it?" High praise indeed from a kid. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    acefieldacefield Member Posts: 7
    Well done Dodge! The Challanger is beautiful. I would take that over the new Camaro any day. GM could sure use some lessons from you guys!
  • Options
    Funny .Hope you get one brother..Kids have a great eye for things like cars and design they see with out obstruction of judgement.Do it..Get it..
  • Options
    moparfan3moparfan3 Member Posts: 2
    I've owned many 70-71 vintage Challengers. This new one is right on target. The car envokes memories of the original and feels like deja vu all over again. Great job from the Chrysler team in designing this car. Bring it out as early as possible. Consider a smaller v-8 option as some people many want the look without total hemi power. Put the challenger emblem back on the front fender and consider a shaker option and you guys will have to fend off the buyers. This is the first car in years that has me thinking about buying new and American. I will be looking to sign up for the waiting list on this one.
  • Options
    moparfan3moparfan3 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with you. Having owned many 70-71 Challengers and several 69 camaros years back, the camaro looks like a girl on prom night with too much makeup, and big hips.
    Sorry for the girl metaphor, but give me the 2008 Challenger
  • Options
    70rtse70rtse Member Posts: 2
    I have an R/T SE 70 going on 30 years..... I love my car and think this one is great... I do not like the truck grill looks like my wifes durango. Also how about options like R/T with irs, and SE upgrades and maybe a T/A for mustangers to fear!!!!!!! go man go!!
  • Options
    70rtse70rtse Member Posts: 2
    Just thought of this... If ford can redo bullet in 2008 for the anniversary of the bullet movie... then will we see kawalski back in a challenger only this time with modern brakes and handling he can miss those bull doziers!!!!!Keep digging dodge! :P
  • Options
    I had a 1970 Challenger SE for many years back in the 1970s and early 1980s. Unfortunately I got transferred five times between 1978 and 1981, meaning that I went from living in San Diego (where I bought the Challenger used) to living in Chicago (the land of winter road salt). Apparently some other Challenger owner was needing some body parts because my clean/rust free car was stolen and stripped and left for dead under the "EL" tracks. When I saw it in the impound yard, all that was left of the sheet metal was the inner front fenders, the rear quarter panels, the roof (including the rear window SE insert), and the metal below the trunk lid that was behind the taillights. They were also kind enough to leave behind most of the suspension and part of the engine. To top it off, what they didn't steal, they broke, even to the extent of busting out each lens for each of the four instrument gauge pods. :-(

I had to shed a tear and walk away. I've wanted a new Challenger ever since and I'm thinking that this new one fits the bill just about perfectly. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    I hope there's a color option for Apline White (non-metallic!). If so, that's the color I'll order the Challenger in.

I think it would look better with the Challenger script moved from the quarters to the front fenders. Maybe they'll be an option for the half bumblebee stripe!

The show car is carbon fiber, but to keep costs down, I think the final production model will be a steel body with maybe an alloy hood.
  • Options
    scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    Challenger is a must to compete seriously with the Mustang and the new Camaro.

Has anyone sketched a ragtop version of the new Challenger?

The convertible should be a true open car. No basket handle (yuck, ick!) like the one that ruins the PT Cruiser. Use pop-up roll protection and keep the look clean.
  • Options
    01dakmtrsprt01dakmtrsprt Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Due to.....?

Style? Performance? Price?
  • Options
    scubadoo1scubadoo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '72 Dodge Charger... and when I saw the 1999 Concept Charger.. I was in love all over again.. then look how they trashed a beautiful car.. for a cadillic :cry: look alike... Now You guys have a great looking concept... Stick to it this time... Don't mess this one up... Make mine in "Plum Crazy"...
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    If the windows are but slits, and the door sills come up near to the chin, count me out on the Challenger. These new cars look like army vehicles. Enough it enough with this trend. The old cars had fine glass area, and a spacious feel to them. The cars today, which are said to be of such great style, don't do much for me as a driver. Sure, it may, or may not look cool from the outside, depending on ones concept of good looks. But there is little doubt as to what it feels like inside, like driving in a bath tub or coffin, with little hope of seeing much out, other than as viewed from side mirrors. Not so practical.
    Raising the sides, with those too tall doors, as well as, the whole car looking taller or fatter, doesn't remind me of the late 60's, early 70's or any good years of style.

A sports car is low and wide. A chop top Mercury, is what they are designing these days. That said, it is better than the Charger effort. Looks pretty good, if the whole beltline is lowered, and glass area raised. Camaro - ditto. It is more than my imagination, that the Mustang is growing fatter, and taller - longer, as the years go bye. And I do believe the door window sills are rising with the years - oh no!

If the price does not start at around $21K for the Challenger with a 3.5V6 model, count me out anyway. Just cut out all the new age junk, and safety stuff, and give us a great car. Four wheel disc, no anti-lock and stuff needed - thank you. Oh yeah, don't forget standard air. No electric assist steering and no throttle-by-wire, please.

Loren
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    "If the price does not start at around $21K for the Challenger with a 3.5V6 model, count me out anyway"

Lol, from what I've heard the base engine will be the 6.1L 425hp HEMI. I havent heard anything about a V6 option, although I have heard rumors of a near 500hp SRT8 model.

In any case, I expect both the Challenger and Camaro to be quite a bit more expensive than a V8 Mustang.
  • Options
    That's OK, if they price them like a Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, or Infinity, I'd pass and buy more car. Actually the C5 Corvettes are pretty awesome, and many good ones, with few miles are to be found. They have a Mustang GT on the lot in my area, for around $30K or so, which makes a used 2004 look pretty dang good to me. From what I gather, it would be more reliable too. I see little need, or advantage of 300HP vs. 260HP with nearly equal torque. Not such a big deal anyway, as the 2000 Camaro SS had over 310HP - didn't it? 90% of people do not need, and can not handle 500HP cars, which belong on the race track. From what I saw at Laguna Seca, a couple of people that owned Ferraris had a little too much HP for their capabilities, as in callin' the tow truck. Yeah, I know, everyone says they can handle it, they are pros, and blah, blah, blah. USA speed limits around 70 MPH, so the zero to a speeding ticket is just fine with 200 to 300HP.

I don't care to play the game of let's make a retro car for the baby boomers, price it $10k to 15$ over what it is worth, and see who we can sucker into buying it. Didn't work with the T-bird. I prefer to see these cars as what they were back when, a working class fun car to sport around in. The current Mustang V6 is pretty fair priced, though I am not sure the engine was an upgrade or not. At least it is not some crazy pricing like the Thunderbird. The new Civic Si 197HP seems to fit as a modern day fun car for the masses.

:shades: Loren
  • Options
    The mustang has two versions which weeds out alot of people who cannot handle the hp.. The GT or MACH are more for the experienced driver, where the 6 is for your kids to drive. The Challenger and the Camaro will be the same story. I like the old version and I think the new version is pretty cool as well. I am 35 years old and have several muscle cars and a couple new muscle cars as well, I am responsible enough to handle the higher horsepower. I wouldn't buy my kid one for his first car I think that would be irresponsible. That is what the economy 6 cyl. cars are for in my opinion. Overpriced is in the eye or maybe the wallet of the purchasers opinion. The challenger concept is attractive to say the least and I will own one! Thanks... :)
  • Options
    Yes, the price may indeed be appropriate for what it now represents, while it is far from what the cars were all about back when. So while the car may be retro, the price is new era, as in car which sells in low quantity for the well to do, rather than what it was, which is better represented as say the Honda Civic Si. Times have changed, and America has changed for the middle and lower middle class. I wonder how close we are to only having cars for the upper and lower class? If the Camaro and Challenger have base models in the $21 and under range, I will be surprised. Pleasingly surprised.

As for power, I wonder where indeed you use it. On the twisty roads there is only so much to be dealt out, and on the straights, you are limited by rules of the road. Is the 0-60 time of say 7 or 8 seconds, compared to 4 to 5 seconds really all that important? For new drivers, I do hope they will get some experience in a driving class on say Mustangs to get a feel of RWD cars. I would like to see the new pony cars with the V6 250HP engines, which provide more than adequate power, and good gas mileage. Was considering an older Mustang with the 5.0(4.9) or the 4.6 engine, which is plenty power to weight ratio. The New Stang is pretty cool, yet perhaps too retro. You get that replica car thought crossing the mind some times, and wonder if you would be better off getting the real deal. OK, it is said to be the best of both worlds - I see their point. On the other hand, I like the progression of models over time in the Mustang, with the pre-2004 really being on the right track.

If the new Challenger and Camaro end up being high priced specialty cars, with a bunch of high tech wonders, and extras thrown in, so be it. I wish them well. . It may fit well into the new class of muscle car, with those too tall doors, and super sized engines, linked to an all electronic wizardry automobile. Looks pretty good on the outside, though some of these cars feel weird once inside.

If they produce cars in large volume, like during the pony war days, and the Challenger has reasonable vision out of the thing, I would consider one - at a proper price at the time.

Loren
  • Options
    I figure back in 70 a $2500.00 car was probably the equivalent of a $25000.00 car these days approx. If a guy bought all the frills back the he probably spent another 500. to maybe 600. in extras. Today the difference could be $10000. to $15000. the pricing is comparable to the wages of the time. A $35000. dollar car isn't top of the food chain when Hummers, Corvettes, and even the new Caddies, Pick up's and SUV's are higher, some by quite a large amount! Challengers Rule!!! :shades:
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Neverminnd 1970. The Mustang is here today and they need to decide if they want to compete pricewise with the Mustang or be overpriced.
  • Options
    Remembering as best as I can, my 1970 was configured from the factory as follows:

1970 Dodge Challenger with the SE package
    318 2bbl
    3-Speed manual
    Power disk brakes (front disk, rear drum)
    Leather seats (front buckets only)
    5-Speaker stereo
    Upgraded instrument cluster
    Gator skin vinyl top
    Crank windows
    Manual door locks
    Mechanical steering (no power assist)
    Heater (i.e. no A/C)
    8 1/4" rear differential
    14" Mag wheels w/spinner and trim rings

MSRP: $3,200

According to a couple of Cost-of-Living calculators, the cost multiplier from 1970 to 2005 is 5.03 meaning that that car would have cost the equivalent of $16,096 in 2005 dollars. Hmmm, seems like a lot of car for the money. Then again, that car had to make due with crude safety restraints, no Pollution controls, no ABS, no TCS, no A/C, no Power Steering, no Power Windows, no Power Locks, a very crude audio system, no Alloy Wheels, Bias-Belted tires that were very skinny and very very lame, and a 3-Speed manual gearbox (with a mechanical clutch linkage) that was probably designed before WWII. Replace all of those items with more modern hardware and you're probably talking another ten to fifteen thousand 2005 dollars. Yup, that sounds about right.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    If the windows are but slits, and the door sills come up near to the chin, count me out on the Challenger. These new cars look like army vehicles. Enough it enough with this trend. The old cars had fine glass area, and a spacious feel to them. The cars today, which are said to be of such great style, don't do much for me as a driver.

You can thank all of the soccer moms tooling around town in their SUVs for that. Also the trend of buying a full size pick-up truck because they're "tough" looking.
    These large vehicles on the roads have made car manufacturers design cars with safer side impact results to handle the higher bumper heights.

I can't even drive my car with my arm out the window anymore...the freaking window height dislocates my shoulder. :-)
  • Options
    Manufacturing is suppose to be MORE efficient, which translates into lower cost to consumers. Many cars seem to be holding the price down, or are even a better deal now than they were in say the 1980's. The Pony cars were not about all the fancy stuff, but were instead market towards affordability in a sporty package. Yes, it must have great tires, all wheel disc brakes, and pollution controls. I think what we are paying for now in cars is more in pensions, health care, and such, and less in cost modernization. Robotics should be making things at a lower cost.

The Challenger should have a better V6 than the Stang has and thus give it higher tag of $21K, with a V8 selling for a few grand more.

Loren
  • Options
    If you look at the price sheet of the new Dodge Charger you'll see that one can be had for $22,295 MSRP (and carries a TMV street price of $20,758 around my area). So, assuming that Dodge decides to offer a vanilla V6 version of the Challenger, I'd look for pricing to be comparable.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    On the Detroit Auto Show pics on this site, the Challenger got the most comments. OK, I blogged more than once, but even if I didn't the Challenger is still ahead. Yeah, I know....crude stats, but stats none the less. :P
  • Options
    Wow. Apparently the Challenger concept car really IS a chick magnet...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108979

:surprise: :P :D:D:D
  • Options
    Wow. Apparently the Challenger concept car really IS a chick magnet...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108979

:surprise: :P :D:D:D
  • Options
    And here's another stat for you, on the Inside Line poll the Camaro has 52% of the vote whereas the Challenger only has 38%........(I voted for the Challenger, twice)

Also on the Car and Driver poll, the Camaro still beats the Challenger, although with a much smaller margin
    (32% vs. 31%)

And finally, on autoweek 47.9% want the Camaro revived and only 23.6 say the Challenger is better.

Funny, most people have been complaining about the Camaro's styling and yet it's ahead in the polls.... :confuse:
  • Options
    The Challenger looks like it could be released 90% as the concept is. The Camaro looks really fake like it is only 75% or less what the real car could look like.
  • Options
    jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    the Challenger @ Cobo Center
    Challenger news from Cobo Center
  • Options
    I've got no idea why my post appears twice......and the second time (posted at 9:05) appears after jae5's post (at 10:55)...
  • Options
    Lol, that is pretty weird! :confuse:
  • Options
    bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Man you got that right! The concept Charger was absolutely beautiful and they ruined the production model. It looks like a somewhat altered 300. Boxy and pitifully ugly. Had they put the concept car into production, there'd be one parked in my garage. Now, forget it!
  • Options
    chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    In any case, I expect both the Challenger and Camaro to be quite a bit more expensive than a V8 Mustang.

This will be the main reason the V8 Mustang will outsell both of them. If Dodge and Chevy were smart they'd has a base V-6 version.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    But ... at $35k starting price, I'm afraid its going to be a tough sell in large numbers. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I we know that 2 doors limits your market already ... so why limit it even more by making it expensive, to boot?

UNLESS they don't want to sell them in large numbers, I'd like to see this come in at $26k for a V8 version. The only thing that has kept me from a Magnum, and now the Charger, is the pricetag.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    No reason to expect it to be priced much differently than a Charger with the same engine.
    It will probably be low production.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    but the rumor is the Challenger will have the 425hp engine base, correct? The Charger does not have that engine (yet). PLUS, the charger RT comes standard with a bunch of features they could easily strip out to offer a low-budget performance model. If they don't want to do that with the sedan, then why not the coupe?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Just a rumor with no basis. Could easily have more than one engine option.
    If it had the 425HP engine as base, it would more likely be pretty loaded and made into a low volume specialty vehicle priced just below a Corvette.
  • Options
    "...but the rumor is the Challenger will have the 425hp engine base, correct? The Charger does not have that engine (yet). "

Really? I thought the Charger SRT8 has been out for a while.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    WHY DOES EVERY ONE WANT TO RUIN A GOOD THING, KEEP THE PAST IN ITS PAST DONT RUIN WHAT WAS ONCE AMAZING BY MODERNIZING IT..
  • Options
    Can't disagree more. I had an original Challenger and while the car was very visually appealing to my eye (and remains so), there was nothing really amazing about the car. Personally, I welcome a new car on the market with the same visual appeal but with modern mechanicals, electronics and safety features.

On the other hand, I really don't understand why so many folks are getting their knickers in a twist over the new retro versions of the Pony cars. If you don't like these cars (or any other given car for that matter), instead of bad-mouthing it to the folks who have cash in hand ready to buy one, buy something else. Me? I'll gladly buy a new Challenger and at the same time refrain from bad-mouthing more pedestrian rides such as something like a Honda Accord.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
This discussion has been closed.