Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• kronykrony Member Posts: 110
    I've been holding off to post...finally have 1800 miles on my 06 Limited with a 5 speed manual I got the end of December. First tanks have been 19.5, 21.5, 23.5...all in mixed driving but majority of the miles in town. For the tanks all in town it seems like 20-22 mpg is going to be typical for me.

My trip computer is +/- 2mpg consistantly when comparing and reseting at fill up...
  • jorgee7jorgee7 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 01 pt cruiser with 75,700 miles i get between 280 and 300 miles per tank.( if i drive 65 miles per hr) if i punch it or go faster i will get 230 to 250 per tank. so if you want better milage you must slow down i know it is hard to do but with the price of gas going up,you do what you have to do. i bought this pt used have had it for 6 months and i like the car and love the body.( black on black) bought a used care warrenty from AAA :):)
  • martin44martin44 Member Posts: 25
    The Cruiser has been out for 5 or 6 years. It is a small car and should get 25 mpg in city and over 30 on highway. But it doesn't and Chrysler has made no attempt to improve it. Each year the same inefficient engine, the same crummy mileage. This car is the right size for a hybride and I would buy it in a minute if it were. I don't understand it.
    I posted this over on the "Changes I'd Like To See in the PT Cruiser" thread...why not a diesel (if not a hybrid)...if Mercedes can do it you'd think the 2.2CRD could be UD worthy...assuming they work as one company... ;)

PT Cruiser 2.4 Limited (Manual)ECONOMY
    Combined Cycle 25.1 mpg
    Extra Urban Cycle 32.3 mpg
    Urban Cycle 18.1 mpg

PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD (Manual) ECONOMY
    Combined Cycle 35.2 mpg
    Extra Urban Cycle 42.0 mpg
    Urban Cycle 27.3 mpg
  • martin44martin44 Member Posts: 25
    Yes, why not a diesel. Good point.
  • windaddywindaddy Member Posts: 2
    '02 PT Cruiser Touring w/5spd manual transmission.
    With over 100K miles, I've averaged over 27.5 mpg. I generally drive carefully and set the cruise at the speed limit (usually 65mph). I restrain from jack-rabbit starts while street driving, but I DO autocross the car competitively several times a year. I also am easy on the brakes as I coast down a lot before braking- front brakes last me 60K miles or more. I don't race people just to get to a red light first. If you're wearing out your brakes faster, that means you're accelerating and using more fuel than you have to. Relaxed driving WILL save you 15% or more on your fuel mileage.
  • windaddywindaddy Member Posts: 2
    Are you holding the button in for the trip computer when you reset it? You have to hold it for several seconds to reset it, otherwise you're just swapping between the two displays (9trip & total mileage).
  • jwelshjwelsh Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2006 touring model with an automatic trans. The first time I reset the mpg calculator an then went 17 miles on the highway, I got a shade over 30 mpg. After that when I did it again an took the same drive, I got 27 to 28. The onboard calculator averages it since it was reset. So, if you let the car warm up or stop at alot of intersections, it will be less. Being a small "wagon", the mpg isn't that much less than alot of sedans.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I have a 2004 Limited, automatic with turbo, and I'm getting 23 mpg. That's a mix of highway and suburban driving. I bought it new and now have just under 44,000 miles on it.

I agree with the poor turning radius, but I have no problem with visibility (blind spots?) and I'm not unhappy with the mileage.

Of course, this is coming from someone who drove gas-guzzling full-sized pickup trucks for years, so this peppy little car is nothing but fun, fun, fun!

I'm very sad to say that I'm trading it in, though. Not because I don't love it, but because it's just not suited to the steep, unpaved roads and deep snow of my Adirondack mountain home. I will miss this car.
    I saw an ad on tv where they listed the Ford Escape Hybrid as 34 epg. My Cruiser gets somewhere in the high 20's. That's not too far off from the Hybrid.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Actually, my first choice to replace the PT was the Escape Hybrid, but I was talked out of it by the Ford dealership. The hybrid only saves on gas if you do mostly stop and go driving. It runs on the battery at speeds below 45 mph and recharges every time you hit the brake. At speeds above 45 mph, it switches to gas power and you see pretty much the same mpg that you would with any 4-cylinder engine - maybe less because of the weight of the vehicle. My driving patterns would never see the benefit of the hybrid.

I opted instead for the regular Ford Escape with the V6 3.0 engine. After years of V8 pickup trucks and the zippy PT turbo, I didn't think I'd be happy with a dull 4-cylinder.
  • snead_csnead_c Member Posts: 64
    I looked at a PT Conv today...read this forum and stopped looking...
    I'm sorry Chrysler...fix the milage.
    Charlie :cry:
    People keep calling the PT a sedan. It isn't. It is a wagon. Look at how much taller it is than a 2 door sedan. I don't know what people are doing to get such low mileage. Mine is in the high twenties. The onboard computer does'nt show the mpg at that instant, but, since it was reset. even if it was reset months ago.
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    The mileage isn't great, but it's almost exactly the same as a Honda Element. Honda, of course, is well regarded for good fuel enconomy. My point is that it's the weight of the Cruiser (and the Element) that makes the mileage number what they are, not some failure of technology.

Add the fact that PT carries 5 passengers and the Element only 4, PLUS the fact it's a convertible it seems to me that it's still worth a look. (The convertible's back seat is VERY roomy. I am 6'2" and 215lbs and I can sit very comfortably in the back)
    I have a stock '06 Limited with a 5 speed manual and 6500 miles. Had a fair bit of highway driving a few weekends ago. Thought some may be interested. The numbers below are a mix of actual and fill up checks with the calculator.
    60mph ~30-31mpg
    65mph ~28-29mpg
    70mph ~26-28mpg
    75mph ~24-26mpg
    Wind/hills makes and difference in the ranges, as someone posted a while back "the flying brick effect"...

In town I'm still 21-24mpg depending upon how I drive and the amount of stop and go.
    I agree with the last two posts. My 2006 Touring with auto, gets very close to what the second one down said. People must remember that the Pt is heavier and taller than sedans. The PT is basically a small wagon. A PT can have a 6'ladder in the back. A sedan can not.So,it is a tradeoff. And,remember that the faster you go, the less mpg you'll get. Maybe with gas going up, this could get people to finally slow down!
  • kfrankekfranke Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2006 cruiser. So far 17 mpg. How in heavens name can you get 30mpg? the most I have seen on the monitor was 18!!!!!!!
    When I was going to get on the highway to go to school about 17 miles away. I reset the on dash calculator. At first, before I got on the highway, it showed 9-12 mpg. When I got on, it gradually crept up. As I got to school, it reached about 30.2. The computer doesn't show the mpg at that instant. But, the average since it was reset. I basically average in the 26-28 mpg on the highway. Warming up the car, stop signs,etc. will all knock the mpg. down. Now, with some city driving. But, over half highway, it shows in the 23.4-24.2mpg.
  • dodge6095dodge6095 Member Posts: 4
    My wife has a 2006 Touring Edition and I have a 2007 Base Cruiser. Both vehicle get 22-24 in city and on the highway we get 28-29 respectively. Now we are seniors soi we don't drive fast or hot rod. We do drive speed limits posted. We get better mileage at 65 mph than at 70 mph. Hey we're not in a hurry, afterall that's what retirement is for. We both really lioke the PT Cruisers.
  • corvairbobcorvairbob Member Posts: 27
    we have an 04 pt turbo gt and we get the same 15-16 mixed and 20 highway. the car seems to preform nice seems to have plenty of power but the fuel mileage is so bad we are going to trade or sell in favor of maybe a cobalt car. i have metros that preform the same as the pt and they get 30-35 mpg i have talked to others that claim to get bad mileage as well. to bad the car is a nice car overall. bp
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    we have an 04 pt turbo gt and we get the same 15-16 mixed and 20 highway

Check to see if you're driving with the emergency brake engaged. :D

Seriously though, my wife has an 03 Cruiser GT autostick and she gets 19-20 mpg city and I've gotten 26 mpg driving from St. Louis to Detroit with the cruise set on 70.
    With my 2006 Automatic Touring, I have gotten in the high 20's and even a shade above 30 mpg. I don't do jackrabbit starts or speed. The faster you go above 55-60, The less mpg.
    The faster you go above 55-60, The less mpg.

Yes, I think the best mpg is achieved when you're in the top gear at the lowest rpm it can cruise without lugging the engine. There was a lively debate on one of the other forums about this recently.

In my case I didn't want to take 12 hours to drive the 580 miles to Detroit, so 70 mph and 26 mpg was a good compromise. I wonder about some of these others who post such low figures and why they are getting such terrible results.
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    When I first got my PT (base model w/AT) I was getting 20 to 22 MPG in combined driving. After 15K and 12 months I'm now getting 23.6 MPG regularly.

I like the car better than I thought I would. I bought an "ad car" for $11,200.00 (plus T&L) in late November so I could have a thrid car around and justify to myself (a father of two youngsters) keeping my Miata.

The Cruiser has got some style and some space. Not a bad little car at all.
  • skierx420skierx420 Member Posts: 22
    I just bought an '08 and now have about 1500 miles on it. My wife drives it. Its a 5 speed and a drop top. We are currently getting about 26 mpg on her commute which is about 15 miles of highway and 3 miles of stop and go driving. We live in a northern climate and have to warm the vehicle for about 5 to 10 minutes in the morning. She also idles the vehicle for about 15 minutes over her lunch break. I think that as the weather warms and then engine gets broken in we will see about 28 mpg.
    Speaking of warming up a car...I read this recently...Car Talk: Think cars must warm up before driving? Think again
  • pttoplesspttopless Member Posts: 2
    The only way to get those high mpg's is to build your house on a freeway on/off ramp. Once you factor in using the little things that lower the numbers, like using your brakes or running the a/c, you'll get those 15-16 mpg's.

Chrysler should be ashamed of the PT Cruiser's performance and apologize to it's loyal drivers. I returned my PT turbo to the dealer. To hell with Daimler Chrysler.
    Once you factor in using the little things that lower the numbers, like using your brakes or running the a/c, you'll get those 15-16 mpg's.

Sorry to hear your mileage was so poor. However, from reading through dozens of posts here on the Cruiser and what other owners are getting it seems yours and Bob's results are not typical, turbo or not.

We get 19-20 mpg city/ 26 hwy with our 03 GT turbo and we don't live anywhere near a highway on/off ramp.

BTW, Daimler Chrysler does not exist. ;)
    I agree with you 100 percent! My 2006 Touring has always gotten 19-20 city, and 25-even 30 highway. And, I didn't have a 200 mph tail wind, either!
  • beastofsteelbeastofsteel Member Posts: 3
    My PT is a 2001 with automatic and it gets 23 mpg average and have gotten as high as 30 when in mild weather on the highway without the use of air conditioning or defrosters.
  • roguejroguej Member Posts: 2
    I've just purchase a '06 Turbo with 11,000 miles on it. Just finished my first week driving it on the highway. This week I only got 18.4 mpg. I can only hope this gets better or is the best I can hope for?

Rogue
    If you do a lot of stop and go city or spirited driving then you'll be lucky to get much more than that. Cruising on the highway would result in a higher number. I've gotten 26 mpg on our '03 turbo with the cruise control set on 70 mph.

You can do things like removing the silencers from the stock air box and drop in a higher flowing K&N filter to help it breathe better. That'll help a bit, unless the increased performance causes you to drive it harder. ;)

The grade of gas make a little difference. Are you using the recommended premium or regular? The manual says regular can be used without harmful effects. That's what my wife always goes with.
  • camshot2camshot2 Member Posts: 12
    Hey folks,
    I used to sell PT's, fell in love with the design. I just bought my first one and I get about 22 avg. with lows of 19.9 and highs of 24.9. I didn't buy it for just the mileage factor, but better would be nice. Just remember the car weighs roughly 3100 pounds!! Thats close to 800 to a 1000 pounds more than many similaer ranked autos. The PT IS the Dodge Neon with a different body attached, period! The Neon weighs less (slightly) than the PT, BUT, big BIG BUT, it is set up differently. The Cruiser is set up to be responsive and sporty. I imagine there are different computer chips you can put in it to get less performance and better mileage...me I am 53 and the little boy in me still likes the quick performance of the little beast.
    If your after mileage alone, buy some boring auto if you must, but as for me, I'll keep mine like it is.
    You might ask a Chrysler dealer to see if you can put the chip from a Neon in your PT and see if that helps...don't know, just a thought.
    Regards,
    Willie D.
  • roguejroguej Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. Willie I love the look of my PT. Tedebear, thanks for the tip about the K&N filter. Have to check into that. The first week I ran with premium gas and this week I thought I'd try regular. The car is still telling me avg of 18.4 to 18.9 mpg. As from about a high mile I'm driving only highway (50 miles a day, 68 mph avg). So very little stop and go for the most part. I'm astounded about seeing some of the mentions of getting 22 + mpg. So I'm not sure what to think about it. Again it a Turbo GT so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Maybe it will get better as the weather gets warmer or the engine get more broken in.

Thanks again,
    Rogue
  • 05ptconvluvr05ptconvluvr Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 PT Convrt Turbo Touring edition. I was averaging about 19 city/22 hwy for the longest time. THEN I got a K&N airfilter and have a solid 25mpg. Usually about 26-7 hwy,but have ALWAYS gotten at least 23.5 city since adding the K&N. It has more than paid for itself in gas savings. And SO EASY to do. Just open the air filter box, take out the old paper one and drop in the K&N. I swear by this filter. Have not had to clean it yet. I got mine on autoanything.com for a lower price than anywhere else I looked. The engine runs smoother because it breathes easier, thus the better mgp.
  • hhrguyhhrguy Member Posts: 3
    So why oh why do (did) any of us put up with the crappy fuel economy of the cruiser? Sure, it's a cool looking car, but still is a neon. It rides, brakes, and steers like a neon, and gets worse fuel economy. Chrysler could take note of ANY other cars on that platform and FIX the problem! I had it with my cruiser, and sold it after lothing it for 3 years of bad mileage, poor cornering, and a "cute" but SMALL gas tank, only to move to the Chevy HHR. WOW... G.M. found a way to be cool looking, and get better miles out of the same liter size. Better pick up, and braking. Shorter steering radius, and boy, It's quiet inside too!
    Never again will I be "held up" by some fast talking salesman. WE ALL need to send e-mails of displeasure to Chrysler. I did that , and my response was to " check out some of our other models, they might suit you better" Chrysler has had a bad reputation for some years for poor mileage, weak transmissions, and rapid wearing brakes. I think I'll stay with a company that truly wants to improve the quality of their product, and not just be "cute"

hhrguy
    Motor trend lists the difference in highway miles between the HHR and the pt as 1 mile per gallon. Looking at the car ads on tv, I don't see much difference between the pt and them Alot of car ads show the highway miles as 28-29. I don't understand what people are doing to get the low mpg they are claiming. I have always gotten in the high 20's on the highway and that is the average with the city and stops at intersections.
    They also show the powertrain warranty for the hhr as 3 years and the pt as 7. Also, the off road assistance for the two as hhr-3 and pt-7.
    "You can do things like removing the silencers..."

Can you please explain what is meant by the term "silencers"?
    I am not familiar with a part by that description. How dumb am I really?
    Thanks for enlightening me...
    Regards,
    Bill Welch :blush: :confuse:
    Hi Bill,

The silencers are plastic pieces that cover part of the intake tubes in the air intake box. They are there to reduce engine noise.

I removed them from my wife's Cruiser and I didn't notice any increase in the noise. She has the turbo version, so I don't know if the silencers are different in the regular models.
    Bill,

Do a Google search for something like pt cruiser airbox silencer. There are lots of discussions about it. Listed below are two.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/general-turbo-discussions/4953-remove-silenc- er.html

http://www.ptcruiserclub.org/forum/Airbox_and_lower_silencer_removal_Q_P163193.h- tm
    Thanks for the replies to this inquiry. I will check them out today and see if they are in there. I figured they were something like the removal of the cover on a 2 barrel carb of the past, what a cool throaty sound THAT made...lol.
    Later on,
    Bill :D
    I have a 2006 pt marine blue Touring with auto trans. I bought the k&N air filter. Today, I reset the trip calculator. While it does show the previous amg at first, it does reset it. Going 15 miles on the highway, It got up to 30.5 mpg. On the way home, it showed 28 mpg.
    Do you say that the 30.5 was before the K&N? I have been thinking about trying anything to up the mpg, but if your experience is an example of what a K&N does, maybe that is not the choice.
    Keep us posted please of your further results.
    Thanks,
    Willie D
    2002 PT Limited
    When I first got the car used with 16,000 on it, a couple of times going to the same location. I got the same results.The car does for me average in the high 20's. I can not understand how people claim to get such low mpg's. The car is not a sedan, it is classified as a suv or wagon. So, the mpg will not be as good as a sedan. One thing that people need to understand about the trip calculator. Is that since it shows the average since it was reset. Is that the actual amg on the highway is higher than what it shows. I can tell that the K&N filter does help.
  • robmanrobman Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2003 Touring 5-speed with 102k miles on the odometer...
    Although there is no trip computer on this model I do keep mileage records on both of my cars.
    This car has consistantly returned 26 MPG on mixed driving with no significant deviation year after year. I believe the 5-speed has a lot to do with my numbers but I set the cruise-control at 72 MPH on the highway (too noisy above that - LOL) and I drive around town in 4th gear.
    It remains fun to drive and has proven to be one of my all time favorite utility vehicles. My wife hates it, though...
  • forevertrueforevertrue Member Posts: 1
    Me and my wife currently have a 96 suburban which is really bad on gas im talking 13 to 14 in the city we are getting rid of it next month and are looking at an 03 pt cruiser, i see alot of people saying they are getting more gas mileage than the epa says it should and some are saying theres gets worse...i want a vehicle that gets at least 16 or 17 in the city and at least 20 on the highway would a p.t be good for us? we have a 1 year old so take that into account as well..we have sat in the one we want and love it..just want some opinions first..thanks. Nathan
    From what I understand, no car gets what the EPA says. I have a 2006 touring with auto. The trip calculator says from 26-30 highway. I don't know about the 2003, But, what you mentioned should be no problem based on what I have, anyway.
    i want a vehicle that gets at least 16 or 17 in the city and at least 20 on the highway would a p.t be good for us?

My wife drives an 03 Cruiser turbo. She gets around 19-20 mpg in stop-and-go traffic. I've gotten 26 on the highway. I would think that the non-turbo version would be even higher.

BTW, she loves her Cruiser. It was a complete surprise Christmas present in 2002. :D
  • explorer806explorer806 Member Posts: 1
    The mpg indicator on the dash "computer" just has to be connected with the amount of gas in the tank---When gas tank full says--18.6----when tank begins to empty the mpg calculator increases. Got it to read 30.1 just by leaving it get to near empty---car now has 23,000 on it---K&N cone filter--(standard air box removed )and installing a fuel cell with components- Wednesday going to have the " computer " connected to factory computerand tuned. I expect a minimum of 50% increase in mileage by using distilled water to make hydrogen gas. Will report on outcome.
    I would be very interested in hearing about your attempts at the distilled water/hydrogen gas experiment. I know it works in small toys. Let us know how it works, and the potential cost factor. You may be on to something that will perturb the oil companies tho, so expect a buy out or pressure to stop your attempts.
    Good luck!!
    Willie D.

2002 Limited w/73K full package except positioning...'cause I always know where I am...lol