Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Real World MPG

Comments

• eel2eel2 Member Posts: 4
    I have only filled up twice and used Premium (91 Octane). So far, I have 750 miles on the car and have been averaging 22 1/2 MPG. I'm in California and they might not change the gas blends in the winter because it doesn't get that cold here. It shouldn't hurt the car to use regular unleaded. You may get pinging when you are pushing it. I'm no expert on this.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Just got back from a 380 mile round trip from Northern, NJ to Framingham, MA. Trip computer says averaged 22.5 mpg on oxygenated winter fuel mix. My hand-calculation says 22.8 mpg. Just shy of the EPA 23mpg on the Hway. This included 30 miles in local traffic before the long journey. Engine is still shy of 600 miles, so still not broken in yet. I probably averaged just over 70mph throughout the R/T. I am actually happy that I came close with this winter fuel. I was afraid that the car couldn't achieve decent mileage. I drove like you should, spirited but not extreme. Quicker acceleration to speed compared to most cars on the road, but not floored. (Not yet anyway until after my break-in!) Also, didn't drive as fast in the morning run north because there were Connecticut troopers all over the place with Dodge Chargers and it was still dark out.

Keep in mind I am driving on slightly smaller diameter and narrower winter tires 215/55-17 Dunlop SP Wintersport M3s than the Sport package 225/50-18s. But the miles on my odometer aren't off compared to computerized mapping software mileage figure. It probably throws off the odometer about 3 miles each way, but negligible since the narrower tires should getter mileage assuming the contact tread has less friction. The original tank, assuming it was full, yield 14.7mpg, but it was mostly local suburban driving other than the highway trip home from the dealership. I expect that I can get above the EPA estimates in the summer on a good run with non-oxygenated fuel. I have my hopes up!
  • amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    I was just about set to pull the trigger on a used 06 G35 with about 9k miles on it. However these reports of bad MPG has me reeling a bit. My drive is highway/City. I live in California, gets chilly and rainy sometimes, but not extremely cold weather.

I was wondering if that fact that the car is used with 9k miles on it, would it get better mileage do to it being broken in.

Personally this car seems to fit me. I'm not a speed racer. I don't care that"fun" to drive, when I hear that it screams of young 25-35 yr old males. Anyway, I drive in bumber to bumper traffic on the highway m-f where frequent accidents occur, almost every weekday and I want a car that can get out of the way of fools on the highway.

I'm attracted to this car because of price and reliability. I like to keep car 10-11 years. But this MPG seems like its going kill all of my savings. I was think about Camry but a family Sedan is overkill for me.
  • gapowersgapowers Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving a 2008 Journey sedan with 5AT for a month, and in 1000 miles I've averaged 19.5 mpg, driving about half freeway, half surface street. Not much stop-and-go, but plenty of hills and curves.
  • dajatdajat Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2008 G35x (with Premium & Navigation packages) and just got back from a 900 mile highway trip. The car had about 1600 miles on it at the start. The avg. mpg & avg. speed displays were zeroed at the start of the trip. The avg. MPG display reported 23 MPG for this trip. I hope the displays are fairly accurate. I consistently use premium fuel and drive conservatively. Speeds were 70 to 75 for most of the trip.

"In town", the daily 18 mile trip to the office (12 are freeway), and the regular mix of surface streets and freeway driving are registering 17 - 19 MPG.

The mileage has definitely improved since we got the car December 31, 2007. For the first week of ownership, driving consisted mostly of freeway trips in town. I was seeing 14.5 to 16 MPG and was getting WORRIED. Since that time the MPG has definitely improved.

I gotta say, it is hard to keep the car below 80, it just FLIES. Most impressive is the power band. It has power across the rev range. I have a friend with a 2007 Mustang GT. I'd think his car would be quicker, but the longer I own the Infiniti, I am not so sure. What's more, ours is pearl white. At a glance it is very attractive, but somewhat unassuming looking, a true sleeper with BMW 335xi class power.
  • inertia1inertia1 Member Posts: 8
    I have an 08 Journey, and now that I have 3200 miles on it, I am getting about 16.9 - 20.5 (depending on hwy miles) and I have one concern.... Why do we have such a small gas tank?? If infiniti has such crappy gas mileage, then give us a larger tank for range... 255 miles to the light, SUCKS!

Also my friend has a Vette and it gets better gas mileage.. kinda sucks to think his car can go faster too...

LOVE TO DRIVE THE G.. I know I am complaining, but I dont know if it really matters that much when I am on the hwy and wanna pass someone and dont have even down shift, just give a lil gas and I am at 85 in no time ;)
    The scary thing is that the G's 20 gal. tank is pretty big for a car. Our Toyota Tacoma 4x4 only has a 18 gal. tank and our Subaru Forester a 13 gal. one.

I regularly envy C6 Corvette's, but sometimes, really need more than two seats. From a performance point of view they have no peers anywhere near their price point.
  • tsarkistsarkis Member Posts: 10
    Ur not alone buddy, I got 08 g35x with around 2800miles I'm getting 13.3 mpg but I probably shouldn't blame the car its my fault I can't go slow in this car. anymore speeding tickets I'll be screwed :mad:
    I feel for you, I actually cruise on this car, I do not floor it (only once to show off to someone special :) ) .. but otherwise, I cruise and go on 300 mile trips regularly (sales rep) but otherwise, not complaints, kinda miss the accord (first car I ever bought on my own, we still own it) this car is way better, but there is something about the first car you really own and drive.... :( kinda off topic, but you know how it is...
  • amad1amad1 Member Posts: 123
    What do you miss about the Accord, please do your best to articulate it.

Thanks
  • adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    I think he is referring to that feeling / special nature of the first car you own (perhaps first new car) and not so much something specific about the way the Accord performed / handled / looked. Just a general nostalgia for the first one. I know I think fondly back on my '73 Nova. Not that it was all that great of a car, but it was MINE.
    That is exactly what I miss, I LOVE looking at it, whenever I park my Infiniti, I wanna drive the Honda, but when I do I come to my senses, and jump back to the G... But the Honda was a sexy car ;) ... 2003 Honda Accord Coupe... Graphite Pearl (still have the original sticker 20,560) .... Keep in mind I was a freshman in College when I got it ... (think of the fond memories :shades: )
  • tsarkistsarkis Member Posts: 10
    the G is actually my first car I'm 18 so I'm working my [non-permissible content removed] off for it but I can see myself feeling that way about it
  • rag133rag133 Member Posts: 25
    I have filled up twice so far, 08 G35XS, I get 14MPG. What crap. I sold a 2002 BMW M3 that was getting 17-18 in the exact same driving. I sure hope this gets better, 13-14MPG for this car is just horrible. :mad:
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    If you're driving it like a M3 and it's new, you will probably only get that. Go back through all 215 posts here and you'll have an idea of what everyone else gets. It does get better but it IS a guzzler. I finally decided to quit doting over how many MPGs I get, looking at the computer or figuring it out each time I filled up - if I can't afford the gas for a $40K car, I shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
    Z
    I'm not driving it like the M3 at all yet actually, haven't even gotten it over 5k RPM yet. Normal driving, and I don't even commute to work in traffic. I do mostly local driving though, but no sitting in traffic. I'm just really disappointed in how Nissan could not engineer this engine to be more efficient. My M3 had 333HP and I drove it pretty hard too and never got below 16MPG on any tank, not even in the winter. I can afford the gas, its just the point with so much talk about car companies making more fuel efficient engines this car is getting way worse than I expected.
    It'll probably get a bit better after more miles are driven. I encourage you to read past posts to get a more realistic idea re what to expect. You're right, though, this is one car that I think the "efficient engine" criteria forgot.
    Z
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I doubt many people drive their G's harder than I do mine.
    I don't beat on it, but my car has two speeds.... fast and faster, and I like to get there quickly.
    I have never seen it get below 17MPG, even with NE winter blend fuels.

I'm down 1 or 2 mpg during the winter, but I'm still hanging in the 17-26 range, depending on driving style and highway vs in town driving.

Fuel efficiency sucks when compared to the seven different Acura TL's that our Acura dealer kindly loaned me. (MDX Oil Changes)
    I got 37 mpg on the highway going to work one day. 37!

I chose the G for it's technology and fun factor... and it's a damn classy car too.
    If I worried about the MPG, I certainly would have shopped elsewhere.

Dunno :confuse:
    I made it a point one week to set out to get the worst gas mileage I could possibly get. You don't even want to know how hard I drove this car on the street and I'd never give specifics for fear of lurking police. :P Suffice to say, I managed to get the MPG down to 16.7mpg. That's the worst the fuel efficiency has ever shown on the computer. I usually get closer to 19.9 average in a daily mix of bumper to bumper and highway.

My experience is that unless you're redlining it in every gear from every stop, you should be seeing much better mpg than you're reporting.

FWIW, I'm in a 6MT not a 5AT though.
    Im in the 5AT transmission, not the 6M. I wish I was redlining it every shift, at least at 13-14MPG I could get my $s worth out of it! I filled up the other day, only went 200 miles on the tank and put in exactly 15 gallons of high test. My computer now since that fillup 50 miles ago is showing a whopping 13.4.
  • dda8686dda8686 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with the earlier poster...I just got my '08 G35XS (about 500 miles now) and the first thing I noticed was the seemingly horrendous gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with the car, but it's getting worse mileage than my '02 Ford Explorer. I just filled up again this morning and reset the fuel economy on the computer...I'll re-post with my results.

Hopefully this car ages like wine.
  • jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    Haha. I will give that a try in Spring with my 6MT. Chicago Snow Fest 2008 is not really the best time!

I drove a 2008 G35x for a day as a loaner and at the lowest point the MPG was 19.7, with a pretty even mix of highway and city driving. On that day it was only a maximum of about 8 degrees F. There were a couple of inches of snow that evening, so I did run the car for about 5 minutes, while cleaning it off.

As a sidenote, it was impressive that the VDC didn't come on at all even though the roads were not cleared (although I wasn't driving like a moron). I'd never driven an AWD before, so that was a good time to test out the differences.

In mine, if I get just a *little* too enthusiastic than I meant to in the slush or snow the VDC flashes on briefly in low gears, although sometimes, I am not really detecting a loss of traction. This is with the Blizzaks installed.
    Heh. With the OEM tires, when it's sub-40F VDC will go off just going up a steep hill if you're accellerating. (no joke) :surprise: They're not good for winter *at all*.
  • jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    Heh, I hoped it wasn't just me! :blush:

However, with all the bells and whistles, plus the Winter tires, I still feel a lot more in control than when I was driving around in my FWD 2004 VW Golf that I traded in.
    4th fillup, 14.5 MPG last time. I've gotten from 13.5 to 14.5 now in 4 tanks. How long til this gets any better??? I do not drive hard at all either, mostly local driving though, but no hard acceleration yet.
  • johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    Depends on who you ask....mine has 10,000 miles on it and I'm slightly down (Winter crap gas) to about what you're getting in suburban / city driving. I hate to see what one of these gets in NYC. It seems to be optimized for 55MPH or so....dot hat all day and get 27-28 MPG.
  • endodocendodoc Member Posts: 15
    07 G35 x 20mpg
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    I have been using Costco premium since the car was new and for the last 8,500 miles. Most of my driving has been in town with almost no miles on the freeway. My in town gas milage has been 16.2 mpg. Well I decided to pay 2% nore for Chevron premium and am so glad I did. My in town milage went from 16.2 mpg to 20.4 a 25% increase. I also noticed that Gi Gi is idling much smoother and has more pep in normal driving. I was so happy that I went back and bought one of the neat Chevron cars ( Maddie Mudster ) to celebrate, ha! The little car comes complete with a dirty pink pig!

I am 77 years old but not too old to learn. I guess quality pays!

Good luck to any that care and understand that there is a gas Angel.

Paul
    Wow....same driving cycle? That's amazing. I've been doing research on a gasoline's energy content (Not it's octane...which is really just detonation resistance). I'm actually going to go buy aviation fuel from the local airport because I have already had to take apart and clean 2 carbs on ATVs that ONLY sat for about 4-5 months. I'm probably going to dump a 5 gal can into the G with 5 gals of normal gas....the results should prove interesting. This current gasoline we buy is garbage.
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    Hi John,

Good for you John! My driving cycle was and is always the same. You made my posting very worth while even if no one else pays attention. Most people are so negative on everything and the world just passes them by. No offense to the stupid people of this world, ha.

I think the world may need the two of us, ha!

Nice meeting you John.

Paul
    El Cajon, California
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    "I have been using Costco premium since the car was new and for the last 8,500 miles. Most of my driving has been in town with almost no miles on the freeway. My in town gas milage has been 16.2 mpg. Well I decided to pay 2% nore for Chevron premium and am so glad I did. My in town milage went from 16.2 mpg to 20.4 a 25% increase."

Lucky you. Hope that continues for you.

I normally put in Speedway Premium. Just for a change, I tried Shell Premium with my last fillup. No difference. I average about 16-17 in suburban Chicago driving. I would have been glad to switch to Shell and pay a bit more if there was an improvement.
    Sometimes people have so much ego vested in a decision they attack (Usually personally) another as a means of defense. I guess bias doesn't just apply to magazines and their preferences. Ever hear the magazine writers slam I-Drive? Anyone I know who's had a bimmer for MORE than a 3-5 day test period actually enjoys their I-Drive (When it works lol) Never too old to learn....I'm actually going to rotate my choice of gasoline stations based on your post. I need to drive 15 miles to my nearest Sunoco which sucks....I used to swear by them back when I rolled around on a sportbike.
  • tog35xtog35x Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 2008 G35X, what a sweet ride! I am concerned about the excessive gas consumption though, and since I really don't know much about cars, not sure if it's normal or not. I have 310 KM on the car now.

I mainly do city driving, and although I am suppose to get somewhere around 12.6L/100KM city driving. I get no where near that. I am averaging about 20.8L/100KM.

I haven't been driving it hard or fast, just normal driving.

Any ideas, is this just because it's a new car? I've also noticed my cold start idle to be rough at times with minor vibration being felt, or when I am stopped at a stop light, the rpms fluctuate a very small amount. Definitely not steady like my old car. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    City driving and low miles are the cause here.
    Read the other threads here on the G forum.

Once you get up around 3,500 miles on the car, it should improve.
    Highway cruising will also bring it up as well.
  • tog35xtog35x Member Posts: 2
    That's the whole point the consumption is city driving and the stated comparison as to what it should be is also city. While I can understand being off a few litres / 100 KM to be off by 65% or more is excessive in my mind. Think about it I get ONLY 11 MPG! that's worse than a truck with a turbo charged V8.
    Just came back from a round trip KC to Colorado Springs; averaged 25 mpg @ 75-80 mph using regular gas; I get approx 19 mpg in town on a consistent basis. Never used anything other than regular in it nor my ES350 (which gets far better mpg). Have 13,500 miles on the car now.
    Z
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Think about it I get ONLY 11 MPG!

11MPG is bad unless your traffic is really bad. The lowest I get is about 15MPG when I'm not working and I just need to drive around my house 2 or 3 miles w/ 10 stop lights or so.
    The mileage definitely gets better. I distinctly remember seeing 13 - 14 MPG the first weeks I owned the car and wondering if there was a problem. It definitely improved and I anticipate it may get a little better.

Depending on the driving mix, my 2008 G35x (odometer at just over 4000 miles) gets 16.5 - 18 MPG in town. My driving is mildly brisk.

I haven't taken a long road trip recently, but at around 1500 miles I took a 800 mile trip and averaged a little over 23 MPG on the highway driving 65 to 75 MPH.

I'd be curious to get your take on how your G35 performs relative to your M3.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    I had the TSB 028 ECU update applied to my 2007 G 35X about 4 weeks ago, Since then, the MPG has suffered. Cold engine drive 3-4 miles to & from Train station is now yielding 11 MPG B 4 the ECU update, it was about 13-14 MPG. Reading posts on various G Forums keeps indicating that it's the "winter Blend of gasoline. What the heck is winter blend of gas: in NY Ethanol has been added (at 10% so it says, at the pump) to gas for years, Is that the Winter Blend?
    The ECU update DID help to smooth out the abrupt up shift to 3rd gear, BUT the car does "feel" a bit slower......with apparently lower gas mileage. I wonder if I did the right thing by allowing the ECU update :confuse:
    Winter blend refers to addatives that (most) northern states have added to their gasoline mixtures that prevent the gasoline from freezing. This has the effect of reduced efficiency of combustion, which in turn lowers gas milage.
  • jagguarjagguar Member Posts: 25
    I remember when I first bought the car, I was getting exactly 18mpg, which I thought was pretty bad. I was hoping/expecting it to improve at least a little after I broke it in. For the first few thousand miles, my mpg didn't vary at all. It was consistently exactly 18, no matter how hard or how calmly I drove it. So I figured I might as well have fun :blush: Now at 14,000 miles it varies between 18 and 19 but that's it. It only increases on long trips (200 - 500 miles) up to about 25 averaging about 100mph. It seems that the faster I go, the better my mpg, but I try not to go much faster than 120 :P
    Does everyone here use high test gas? I have not tried regular unleaded in this car, but with the price of gas going to $100 a gallon, this may start to get expensive...
    I use regular consistently and notice no difference in power/performance in the G and my ES350.

As an aside, when gas gets to $100/gal, I believe we all better consider walking.
    Z
  • jebelljebell Member Posts: 54
    I always use regular in my 08G35x. No problems. I have always used regular in my Beemer and Lexus which "say" you need premium. The ONLY reason to use premium is if you get knocking, otherwise it is a waste of your money. Regular will NOT harm your engine or give you better gas milage. Premium is simply a higher octane fuel so more fuel burns in the combustion chamber. If all the fuel is not burned, you get knocking, if no knocking you are burning all the fuel reagrdless of the octane level
    Sorry, but you're not quite right there... That's not what Octane does at all...

First off, Octane prevents combustion not aids it. Secondly, you get knocking because the gasoline explodes in the cylinder before it is supposed to, not because there is extra fuel is floating around.

The motor in the G35 and many other cars like your Bimmer and Lexus use anti-knock technology (timing retard, etc.) to prevent knocking when you use the cheap gas. You're robbing the car of power.
  • dukiedougdukiedoug Member Posts: 12
    Hi all I have perused these boards and seems like the mpg is all over the place. Any ideas on what I can expect to get from a 2006 G35 coupe AT? I am looking at purchasing one and am just curious how much my gas bill per month may go up. Most of my driving is highway.
  • 2005g352005g35 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe this can help:

I bought a 2005 G35 sedan in December 2007. Car had 26K miles on it.

Changed oil, replaced the original (!!!) dirty air filter and put 4 new tires on it - 245/45R17.

I was getting 15/20 MPG, using regular gas and driving 75 - 80 MPH on the highway. Took it to Miller Infiniti in Van Nuys, California and asked why.

Dealer said the engine was fine, the emissions were fine and everything looked great, but made the following observations that contribute to the situation:

1. Tires are larger than the recommended size and put more pressure on the engine in certain situations.
    2. Air filter was dirty.
    3. Carbon build-up in the throttle body and fuel injectors.

Changed air filter for the second time in 3 months, had my mechanic clean the throttle body and put some fuel injector cleaner into the system and it did not seem that anything has improved.

Reading some of the posts here, I guess this is the norm and we should ignore Infiniti's own MPG rating and definitely the EPA rating of 18/25.

And I sold my 1998 Lexus LS400 (which did 17/21), hoping to save some money on gas... Silly me!
    I did my first highway trip last night, 80 mph or so for 100 miles. MPG... 19.5. Ugh. I expected much better, my M3 was getting 25-26 on the highway.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I did 50% of my tank in bumper to bumper traffic, probably 25% highway and the rest city, I got 15.7mpg. I am on 1600 miles.
  • zheka212zheka212 Member Posts: 68
    I'm finishing a lease of a 2005 G35x. Car has about 40k miles on it.
    Until recently (and I mean about 37k) I never got above 20 MPG highway (70-80 mph).
    The last few gas tanks got me as many as 23 (once) and 22 MPG.

City driving is another story. I must apologize to the many people who define "city" as driving on a road with lights going 40-60 mph. City driving is Brooklyn, NYC, where you go as many as 5 lights without stopping (about 0.5 mile), then peel off the line to smoke the V6 Mustang that thinks it has a chance -- and then repeat at next light. Even without peeling off, I never got above 15 MPG. With "spirited driving", my worst average was 12.4 MPG around city.

If you live in a real city (I've been to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Buffalo -- you haven't lived until you've sat in traffic on the BQE during rush hour, and I apologize for the gruesome details -- I just want to make sure we compare apples to apples), the G is not likely to ever break 15 MPG.

A quick note on the air filter - I replaced the OEM with a washable K&N. The filter does get dirty in about 1 month -- I think the reason for that is that one of the air intakes is very low behind the front bumper. I used to wash it religiously, then I pretty much gave up -- with no real change in MPG.

I've tried using the "recommended" 91 octane gas (went through about 5 tanks to make sure I would notice a difference if there was one) -- aside from a slightly slower takeoff, no real change.
This discussion has been closed.