Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Real World MPG

1234568»

Comments

• johninnjjohninnj Member Posts: 243
    My 07 is just as bad. I blame the gearing primarily...with, of course the right-foot issues like the other post. I had a friend with an 05 coupe 6mt...and he did much better on the highway. Infiniti raised our redline to 7500, then took the liberty to adjust the gears accordingly. I would be interested in a post from someone with the new 7sp auto. We have a VERY good aero design (And even have a belly ban under the engine), but spinning a 3.5 liter that high on the highway HAS to burn fuel....no real way around it.
    My car has 14K...it's gotten slightly better. I actually did better on reg than premium...but that one still escapes me.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    Thanks for feedback, but again I am comparing to other posts with AWD (added weight)...I will wait and see what happens next summer when the weather warms up and my car gets broken-in more. But with 15 years in automotove industry experience, etc. I just cannot imagine these factors can improve my MPG from 17 now (This is with EASY driving intended to see how high of an MPG I can get - If I drive my car NORMALLY I am lucky to hit 15) to lets say 23 MPG as a lot of the posts indicate...thats a 35% improvement!!!!

In the meantime I will continue to experiment (Higher MPGs) and have a blast with my G (Dismal MPGs)...
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    my thoughts on mpg-- i drive a 2007 g35 X -- my mpgs have increased a bit as the car has aged --just 11,300 miles on a car thats over 1.5 years old and i have seen mpgs of just over 17 for the life of the car ( I got the car with 20 miles on it). I must admit most driving has been city. Now what i've found-- city mpgs are terrible --but thats the norm on such a car with a 5 speed auto and high HP.. past post are right the new transmission of 7 speeds should help..I think the 300 lbs of the awd hurts mpgs-... The 5 speed is not the best trans --for sure-- the maxima and altima are cars born on the same platform and get way better mpgs then the rear drive G (with less hp --to the drive wheels.) .. I changed my driving habits as gas hit the 4 (and more) dollar mark here in MASS.. but now that gas is back down under 2 bux here I will drive the car harder and will sacrifice MPGS to get to 80 mph faster.. If your looking for MPGS --its easy -turn off your V1-stay , stay off the gas and use cruise control on the highway. I can tell you this -- I have started using the manual mode more and have found the sounds delightful coming from the back end of the car.
    600 miles this long thanksgiv weekend.. 2 fillups -- 23 and 23.4 on each. 90% highway with average speed of 65mph (according to the computer). used premium on my first fill up -- regular fuel on the second-- have not seen a difference in performance or mpgs.

sween
    car has now 13k miles on it --its an 07 g35x --mpgs have kind of flatlined.. 2 fillups one premium for 1.79 a gallon then regular at 1.47 (thank you south jersey) the mpgs for the first tank were 22 mpgs-- now mind you this was going south from MA to NYC 200 miles at around 42 avg mph during a snow storm. -- second tank going at an avg of 60 on the way back from the POCONOS to BOSTON I got 24mpg.. on the highway this is a great driver-- city driving here in boston kills mpgs bigtime--i'm talking 12-15 mpg..
    Was this based on the trip computer readouts or your own calculations?
    own calculations - i did use the computer to calculate the avg speed.
    Do you know how well your own mpg calculations correlate to the trip computer calculations? Wondering how accurate the trip computer calculations are.
    the MPGS on the car computer are pretty close usually within .4 mpgs.. The only wish is the gas gauge would give a more accurate miles left on tank--i recently had the warning light go off --after driving another 20 miles -I filled up-- and was able to fill over 18 gallons of gas --so another 40-45 miles of highway driving.. This was not the first time. I think the warning light triggers with less then 4 gallons left inthe tank.. --ITs also pretty scary seeing "*****" on your nav screen--
    I know the last 30-40 miles TO GO disapear within 10 miles (or even less) usually and I get the scary ******. My car (08 G35Xs) has just over 3K on it and I struggle to get 17MPG on combined driving (mainly city). I still struggle to get to 20 when I am on HWY though. I am blaming cold weather and NEW car factor...will see what happens in summer. This triggered my Question regarding accuracy of trip computer.
    i have the 07 g35x -- from my Xperiance i would think your MPGS will go up as the car ages -- if you look at my past posts you'll see they have risen a bit. I do alot of city driving as well and thats where this car hurts you- i get 15 mpg in the city still. Highway driving -- on longer trips i engage the cruise and see mid to lower 20's at speeds above 75
    I am up to 3.5K miles on my car and today was the first "long" highway driving I've done in some time, and based on trip computer I have noticed a significant increase in MPGs already from 1000 miles ago...I was hitting low 20s
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    I have a 2007 G35x, AUTO, 15k on the clock. NY area. My experience is about the same reported generally here. 14-15 City ( little better in the warmer weather, a little worse with the Winter Blend gas). Best Highway mileage which did go up by maybe .5 MPG with useage is 24.5 on a 250 mile trip at Mass -65-75 MPH, cruies control when possible. I have found that the of course, with the very cold temps lately, and "winter Blend" gas, MPG in the City at 13MPG, without really hard driving. I do like to use the DS mode though. But as others have said on this thread and other forums, You don't get the G for mileage. This baby is meant to be "driven". I've owned and driven a lot of cars over 38 years [including Daddy's 1966 Chevy Impala Supersport, & later a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 [I must say that was a good car]- Fords, Nissans, Mitsubishi, Subbies, Pontiacs, plus many other rental cars to numerous to mention, etc], this G35X is without a doubt the best car I've had overall for driveability, performance, reliability, and pure driving pleasure.
  • trinbago1trinbago1 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2008 GX and presently have a little over 300 miles on the car. I understand that the new factor and weather plays a role, but DAMN I am only getting about 12 MPG (if so much). I notice that I only get about 100 miles with 1/2 tank of gas.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee gave me better MPG...LOL.
  • pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    trinbago1,

It's an undiagnosed medical issue.......with your heavy right foot. Granted, the X is a few hundred pounds heavier than the Coupe, but you have to really be on it consistently to get as low as 12. Glad you are enjoying the car! And don't you just hate to see those gas prices relative to last August? Yahoo! :)

Jack
    i'm getting 13 mpg on the current tank -150 miles - 90% city driving --and i'm not beating on the car.. the avg temp has been 20 degrees --car not a good city driver for mpgs add in the cold and the winter gas= even worse MPG's.
    Ive seen similar with my 08 G35xS and I live in Cold Michigan. My car has 4K miles now and already seen a significant improvement. I never expected the improvement to be that much with increase in miles.
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    The sticker numbers are certainly misleading @ 1800miles I'm averaging 16.2 with about 50% highway driving. My V6 6 speed Honda coupe was about 3 tenths of a second slower to 60 but averaged 20 mpg even when I flogged the crap out of it. This thing is no where near the published EPA numbers and I thoiugh hesitation was worked out in all cars years ago.
    your accord must of been a newer 6 speed -- well your right city driving will not get much better the real improvement will be on the highway>
    I don't think folks have read this entire fuel mileage thread and figured out why their fuel mileage numbers are lower than others.

That .3 of a second Infinity advantage to 60 mph (one mentioned) compared to the Accord works out to 26.4 feet or nearly 9 yards! If you wanted economy, why didn't you stick with the Accord or better yet get a Civic? The Accord will not out handle the Infinity. Nor will it outbrake it. Here is what folks have contributed.

New car, tight.
    Frigid outdoor temperatures.
    Idling to warm up the car.
    City driving.
    Speed.....i.e., 75mph.
    Winter blend gas.
    What the car is and enjoying it.

There are a few web sites out there that actually have confirmed through testing that the best fuel mileage for most passenger cars is achieved between 45mph and 55mph. After that, as the speed increases linearly, the fuel mileage falls exponentially. Wind resistance.

Didn't you ever wonder why a 330hp G can hit 155mph WITH the speed limiter; yet a 500+hp Z06 Corvette with better aerodynamics can't go just 45mph more top end and hit 200mph? That is how severe wind resistance negatively affects a car. You can figure in fuel economy why you are at it.

At Christmas I rented a 2007 gasoline powered Chevy Tahoe, stuffed 5 people and luggage inside, and hit the cruise at 70 mph, got 20mpg out and back, 2,084 miles. Despite the gas formulation, winter temperatures, weather slow downs, and 7 potty/food stops for those with weak bladders. A stinking 6,000 gross vehicular weight Tahoe, weighed before passengers and luggage.

The folks that ARE getting the G's epa mileage figures didn't luck out and get an extraordinary car. Look in the mirror, read up on how to max your fuel economy, or simply pay attention to your right foot. Anyone can get the low mileage figures too, but we/they can also meet the city and highway epa numbers as well.

I have issued this suggestion before and NO One has responded. Go out on the highway. With the engine at operating temperature. When you reach the speed limit (55-65mph, whatever), hit cruise and reset the fuel mileage readout. Drive 100 miles of pure highway, unimpeded by traffic, tolls, and the related speeding up and slowing down. THEN report back your mileage to us.

Even in the dead cold of Winter and with the Winter gas formulation, a broken in G can get you 24 highway and 16-17 city. Eliminate the temperature lows and the reformulated Winter gas and you will probably achieve the epa highway figure with a broken in G.

Stop worrying about the fuel economy, or simply enjoy the car.
    pscheid,

I guess my foot is a little heavy :blush: ...but how fast can I drive on Sunrise Highway (L.I. New York).

I'm driving to New England this weekend, so I will zero out the odometer and set the car on cruise control. I'll let you know the results. Thanks
    I agree with pscheid-- but what he said HAS been mentioned on this channel before-- highway speeds -- even at 75mph with cruise engaged you can see 23-24 mpgs-- as mentioned before.

Trinbago-- i suggest if your making the trip up north--to do one thing-- take the merrit parkway (the navi will tell you to take 95n-dont listen to it) all the way up until you hit I 91 in CT-- the reason you should take this highway is to truly enjoy the G-- lots of turns at highway speeds -- you'll also get some sweet straightaways and there is always someone willing to match you on speed bursts. Once on 91 then hit cruise and you'll see the MPGS climb-- best of both worlds --

I filled up tonight-- 13.4 mpg for the tank --17.3 gallons to be exact before the stupid "warning light" went on. 20-17.3= 2.7 gallons left. All city driving as you probably guessed.
    Thanks for the tip sweendogy. I am in love with this machine :D

The advice given by pscheid was on the money. Based on my calculations, I averaged 22-23 MPG. Keep in mind at times I was doing 75MPH.

The car is really great. when I arrived at my destination, I did not feel like getting out of the vehicle. Now i have to be concerned about speeding tickets. LOL.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Worst mileage rating I got was 14.5 MPG of pure local driving (NYC burbs)
    Best non-winter fuel mileage was 24.4 MPG going from NJ to ME (pure highway) with the stock A/S Dunlops
    Best winter fuel mileage was 23.4 MPG going from NJ to NH (pure highway) with the winter Dunlops
    Highway speed probably averages about 72 MPH. Too many speed traps in CT, so I have to watch it. It is tough to drive this car slow, but it is tougher paying speeding tickets and higher insurance rates.

Averaging about 21.5 MPG with 70/30 Highway/Surburban driving

I'm satisfied with these numbers that I am getting.
    how many miles on that puppy??
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    I'm in the NYC Burbs too. Worst mileage in "city" driving to train station 4 miles to & from in the winter blasts recently : 11.5 mpg. Otherwise I'm getting very close to what you reported bq.... 2007 G35X, Auto, premium package, No Navi.... now with 16k miles on the clock. just had a faulty tranny valve body replaced under warranty - it was a very shift into 3rd gear. With the new valve body, it is much better. I'll see if that affected mileage any in the next few tankfuls. PS, I really don't warm 'er up too much [1 minute or so], and I Don't driver 'er like Grandpa going to Stop n Shop either, although during these commutes, I don't push it hard.
  • amissneramissner Member Posts: 15
    For my automatic 2007 G35 Sedan I get 20MPG for almost every tank with a mix of city and highway driving.

Recently drove to Orlando and got 22.3 MPG averaging 70.9 MPH for 477 miles. Pic of odometer: http://flickr.com/photos/missner/3328957009/sizes/m/
    that is really interesting -- i did a 400 plus mile round trip on weds/thurs from boston to manhattan.. I got 22 mpg for the tank as well and didnot see 400 miles on the trip computer before the stupid warning light went on to tell me to fill up -- had over 3 gallons left on the tank and it still the warning. 13400 miles on a 2007 g35x sedan,
    14200 miles on the car - again mostly highway over 400 miles got 22.6 mpg-- this is prob the top end of the range-- most of my posts have been 22 or so-- with city driving a terrible 12-15 mpg. G
  • basketballgodbasketballgod Member Posts: 1
    has anyone used regular gas on their g35 instead of premium, and if so how was that affected your car. thanks for your help
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    Yes I have, I initially had a lot of hesitation in my car being pissy I figured I'd try regular. It felt like it ran better and the hesitation disappeared, using regular is not going to harm your car you have a knock sensor that is going to retard the timing reducing the power at the detection of any knock or pinging. I haven;t gone back to premium but I do fill my car half 93 half 87 when I'm on E.
    I agree with rhard. The knock sensor works perfectly and retards the spark to protect the engine. While there is a slight drop drop in horsepower and torque using the lower octanes, it was not that you would notice it. My fuel mileage didn't drop either. But I always use a name brand fuel to get the cleaning agents.

The only car manufacturer I am aware of that lists in their web site horsepower and torque differentials between premium grade (91-93 octane) and regular (87 octane) is Hyundai. For their new 370+ horsepower Genesis! I was staggered that the hp and torque drop-off was so negligible, only a few hp and lb. ft.
  • nycdudenycdude Member Posts: 33
    I started moving away from premium gas when i had my M35 and gas prices were going up daily. I used 89 octane and am still doing so with my 2008 G35. Absolutely no ill effect. I'm not sure, but I think with 89 you would have the equivalent of 1/2 tank 93 + 1/2 tank 87. :)
  • ziggy66ziggy66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 coupe with 35,000 and a 2007 35x with 39,000 and have used nothing but 89 grade. Have never seen a drop in performance or mileage. I haven't tried 87 unless my wife, bless her heart, is trying to save on gas money. If she has I never noticed and difference. The coupe get 24.5 on trips and 18.5 around town and I'm a hot dogger. The 35x gets 23.5 on trips and 17.5 around town.
    14k miles and for the past 12k its been all regular< no loss of power. gas mpgs not good at 18 for the life of the car.
    not that anyone really checks this post anymore-but

18700 miles-- just did a 460 mile round trip east coast trip-- 95% highway and got 23 mpg with help from the digital readout.. not bad with an avg speed of 65mph
  • dupedagaindupedagain Member Posts: 1
    I still read this post now, how about that. I just bought a 2008 Infiniti G35 and should have done my homework about the gas mileage before I bought it. I sure do love driving it though. I traded in my 2003 Mercedes C320 Coupe, which got 20/30mpg because every stupid little thing that went wrong cost over a thousand dollars to fix. I told the salesman (reputation of used car salesman continues) that I wanted a car that didn't get worse mileage than my Mercedes. I bought it that night because I loved the drive... that's what you get for impulsive purchases and listening to a used car salesman. As an aside, I test drove the Prius and Insight... hated driving them both. I don't get all the praise... outside of the gas mileage that is.
    The MB C320 is a sweet ride and a looker to boot, nothing not to like except the dealership repair costs. No extended warranty?

My SIL has the ML 320 (SUV), and that was his only complaint too. Until he found a private mechanic that does all of his work at roughly half the cost, and he has never looked back. No bring backs either.

Re the fuel mileage on the G, if you have read far enough back in this thread you know my opinions on the topic of MPG. Fun and enjoyment come with a price, and to me that price is worth it.
    still a tough pill to pay_ oil now at 80 soon to be 100, with that 3.50 gas at 18mpg combined = ugly
    3.5 yrs old 25k miles - on the 07 g35x and getting 17mpg for the life of the car-- lots of city driving where it gets under 15mpg... on the highway on a recent run i got 23mpg running at an avg speed of 71 mph.just under 100 miles. its a great car on the highways - the ability not to hit the breaks by throwing the transmission into 4th or less as needed to slow the car down -- at the ez-pass toll boths to slow down - tap it into sport mode and get up to highway speeds in the matter of 5-6 seconds and not having to worrying about passing the big rigs. I paid 3 bux today for premium -this will be 3.50 soon--then 4 bux.. I think car makers should make these cars adaptable to what kind of driving you will be doing-- and ECO mode would be nice to shut down 100 or 150 hp -- or the ability to shut down 3 cyl if needed.. just a thought I know honda (and GM years ago) have this tech but it seems it has not yet caught on and the advantages of this have yet to be fully appreshiated.
This discussion has been closed.