Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    How come every auto reviewer thinks different?

I'm an auto reviewer, and that's my opinion. Many other "auto reviewers" aren't objective. They are getting paid by guess who. And I've owned 3 Fords.

That aside - I don't think the Sonata LX's interior was cheap at all. And my wife's Camry's interior was good. The Accord is SO much more refined, even in the lower priced trims, than any of the competition.

Yea, if this is Ford's answer to the CamCord then HonToy have nothing to fear. Maybe the Milan is nicer. I'll check it out - give em a chance - but the bar is set pretty high by the Japanese in this class.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Ummm..

The Fusion's reviews have been extremely favorable when the car was first tested and by itself.

But in the last two comparison tests, or at least in the MT one, autoreviewers noted some less than steller interior materials for the Fusion.\

It's a vast improvement over the Taurus, but it still isn't as nice on the inside as the Accord, Camry or Sonata.

And as many folks in here know, I drive and Altima, and I think the Altima is below ALL of them, including the Fusion, but I don't find the Sonata's interior to be all that spectacular either.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    And I'd have to agree with you there leadfoot6.

The point I have been making all along is that if Ford and the GM wanna get back into this game, they have to be BETTER in most respects than the Japanese and NOW the Koreans too.

I think the Fusion will help Ford tremendously though! There is no doubt in my mind about it.

However, I only believe that the Fusion is slightly better than the Camry (a car that is up for redesign) and doesn't have the refinement nor features of the Accord...but it cost a great deal less than the Accord too so that's a fair tradeoff.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I agree wholeheartedly.. I wont ever buy a vehicle without VSC/ESC/SC again. Anyone who shops me will hear the same thing.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Like I said before. They are all about the same, save for the Sonata. True Ford didn't use all high quality plastics in the Fusion interior. But the Sonata's is definitely the worst of the bunch. Even down to the back lighting that they used for the Sonata, it looks cheap.

I agree with you maxamillion, the refinement of the Accord does put it at an advantage. There is no arguing that.

And yes you will find auto reviewers that say different things. But when you actually drive the cars and then read the reviews you come away with an impression of who is being paid off. And interesting how we can site at one point that the reviews aren't reliable and then in another post, site how the Fusion has received two bad reviews. I thought they weren't reliable? Anyhow. In the bad review of the Fusion, it beat the Sonata, so what does that say.

I do believe that GM and Ford need to pull out all the stops with their products to regain market share. The fact that there is a debate as to whether the 3.5 will go into the Fusion, shows that there is a serious problem. This is the first year of the FUsion and it seems to be off to a fast start, if next year they actually put the safety equipmrnt in the car standard, add the 3.5 engine, and give it manu-shift, now we're talking.
  • nivek911nivek911 Member Posts: 17
    True, my Sonata doesn't have the best interior, when compared to the Accord or the Fusion. That said, there are trade offs for any choice you would make. I could nit pick on the height of the radio in the center stack too.

However, the quality of the plastics in a car doesn't help to make what is important to me (my wife and kids) safe in an accident. The Fusion couldn't must 5 stars in the standard tests, tests that are not new or suprising to Ford. They can't take the time to design a car to pass known tests that EVERY car in this segment is measured against?

Maybe they should have spent a little more time with the structure engineers and a little less with the interior design team.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Re the Sonata being the worst of the bunch: compare the interior of the Camry LE, particularly its cheap, spartan dashboard, to that of the Sonata GLS or LX, and tell us if the Sonata's is worst of the bunch. At least Sonata gives you some attempt at style and flash (with faux carbon-fiber or wood trim) in the Sonata vs. the Camry. You have to move up to the much-pricier Camry XLE to get any kind of break from the tedium of brown or grey plastic.

Wait till you start wiping fingerprints off that glossy black trim on the Fusion every day and you'll appreciate the faux carbon fiber or wood trim on the other cars. Toyota did the same thing on the lower-end Siennas and I can't understand what they were thinking. It's like a black car: nice looking when it's new and clean, but awful when it's dirty or scratched--which it will be almost immediately.

As for radio height, that's an interesting point as multiple reviews have highlighted the convenient placement of the Sonata's radio, and also the location of the HVAC controls vs. the buried location on the Fusion.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    I don't see why there seems to be so much negativity towards the Ford Fusion here.

Well first off I don't see much of what is said about the fusion as being "negative", but with everything said and done I would pick the Milan over the Fusion. Basically they are the same car with only a sligh price difference. Given that the Milan has a couple of additional points to it would make me pay the few hundred more for it.

Sorry folks, not everybody likes to drive a missile. The 221 is adequate and I think to MOST Americans it is very comparible to the rest in this category.

I tend to agree with you, as long as the car can keep up with traffic and accelerate to reasonable highway speeds on a typical on ramp then that should be enough. Realistically in the city no matter how fast you can get off the line there will always be someone in front of you. In the country it is more about maintaining a reasonable speed. Low 200's in these cars should be enough for most drivers.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    the Sonata, Fusion, and Accord at the car show this weekend. I found the Accord's front seats to be the most comfortable, and the Sonata's back seat to be the most comfortable. I didn't care for the dash on the Fusion...thought the black, shiny plastic looked a little cheap - along with the radio and climate controls. The rest of the Fusion looked really nice though, and is definitely light years ahead of the most recent Taurus in terms of design.
  • chrisfordchrisford Member Posts: 55
    I take it you pro-import fanatics just can't stand tough competition. Here are a few things the Fusion has going for it.

1) V6 runs on REGULAR GAS unlike the rest
    2) Better exterior style and equal interior design
    3) Head turner - I you are single want to mingle this is the one to get in the mid-size segment.
    4) More nimble - fun to drive like the madza6

These are the main reasons why I think Fusion will be the #1 selling mid-size sedan in America in 3 years.
    "1) V6 runs on REGULAR GAS unlike the rest"

Just curious where you get your info. Per Honda's website, the 4 cyl and 6 cyl run off of regular.

I was told that the Sonata 6 and 4 ran off of regular as well, but I haven't looked on the Hyundai site yet to verify.
    Of your four reasons, the first is inaccurate, the next two are really the same thing and are purely subjective (personally I don't like the exterior styling at all, and the interior looks OK but is not very ergonomic), and the fourth is maybe the best feature of the Fusion. But I can buy a Mazda6 for about the same money and I like its styling inside and out much better, plus it offers 5-door and wagon variants that the Fusion (and the other 3 cars) don't. So, why will the Fusion be the best-selling mid-sized sedan in 3 years, other than it has a lot of Ford dealers selling it? Within 3 years, the Fusion (and Sonata) will have to compete with an all-new Camry and Accord, and also Altima, Malibu, etc. It's a tough market out there.
    "3) Head turner - I you are single want to mingle this is the one to get in the mid-size segment."

At least this way you would know that the lady isn't just dating you for your car - LOL
    Everyone needs a hook; a car, money, fame, intelligence, talent, good looks. I you don't go fishing without bate. Fusion is good chum. :shades:
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    Do you practice "Catch and Release"?
    Two comments on that.

1.) spend the extra couple of hundred bucks and get a Milan, it would be better chum.

2.) I wouldn't want the fish that takes that kind of bait.

"2.) I wouldn't want the fish that takes that kind of bait."

If the attractive young lady that is currently featured on the Mercury ads (you know, the gotta add Mercury to your list girl) would take Milan bait, I would be at the Mercury dealer in a heartbeat were I single.
    I don't know any girl that would date me simply because of the car I have isn't worth it in my book.

Anyways since now that dating is a major health hazard (wife would kill me) I am not that worried about it.

Sorry, she's obviously Married with Kids. Why else would she lust after cars like the Montego and Monterry so much? :)
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    Actually the Milan is cheaper than the Fusion if you fully option both of them. I would have thought that the Milan would have been more.
    Yes I know which is why the fusion would never be on my short list. Why buy it when for practically the same money I can get the Milan which is just the same car but built a little better.

• cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    Here is how we made our decision as to which car to buy. We paid more attention to the review from regular consumers who are more like us than the auto professional. Ford Fusion was not considered because of ?. The consumer rating from MSN, Yahoo, and Edmunds, the JDPower survey, professional reviews, and our own experience with Toyota products (2002 ES300 and 1999 Camry V6) gave us two finalists - Accord and Sonata.

06 Accord EX v6 was not considered because BMW 325 and Lexus IS250 are far better in terms of status, value, and fun for about 30K. Since our kid will drive the car for about ¼, BMW 325 and Lexus IS250 are not on the list for they attract too much attention.

Both 06 Sonata LX and 06 Accord LX auto can be purchased at about 20K in this month. We did test drive. Rides for both cars are about the same. The handling of Sonata is more like that of Nissan Maxima and is better than that of Accord. 06 Sonata LX won acceleration and transmission performance. The past five year history of reliability is about the same (JDPower, CR, and MSN); more importantly Hyundai actually has been improving. The consumer reviews from MSN, Yahoo, and Edmunds show that the 06/05 Sonata owners gave the same or a higher rating for their cars as compared with the 05/06 Accord owners. The 06 Sonata has more and better safety features, better crash test result, and better warranty. However, 06 Accord is more popular and has a somewhat better interior. We decided to buy 06 Accord LX a day before buying 06 Sonata based on its popularity and interior. However, after carefully reviewing all the above factors, we concluded that the comprehensive safety features, better crash test results, warranty, leather seats, excellent transmission, 235 HP all aluminum engine, and … for 06 Sonata LX are worth a lot more than the somewhat better interior and popularity for 06 Accord LX. We purchased 06 Sonata LX. After driving a while, we know that we made right decision.
  • rgyiprgyip Member Posts: 43
    We decided to buy 06 Accord LX a day before buying 06 Sonata based on its popularity and interior.

So you bought both the 06 Accord and 06 Sonata? Did you keep them both?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    ya almost lost me there at the end but it sounds like you ended up happy with your decsion. The '06 Hyundai Sonata it is! Great choice! :)

I still think Ford is making a great move with this new Fusion. I only wonder how long it will be before rebates will apply to be able to sell them. Ford has priced them reasonably to sell them as they are IMO. I happen to like the chrome look up front. The American public will dig it, too. I gaurantee it. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Here is the #1 Reason why it wont be the #1 midsized car in 3 years.

All the 4 reasons you mentioned mean NOTHING to the largest segment of midsized buyers in the market. 800000+ buyers want a basic 4c utility vehicle - not a V6 head turner.

This is the main marketing flaw of Ford and GM. The new Fusion/Milan may very well appeal to the periphery of the midsized market and be a good seller but it doesnt speak to the heart of the market. It misses the CamCord buyer and goes to the shrinking numbers of Ford buyers. That's life.
    Thanks for the details on your buying process. I think if everyone followed a similar process they would end up with the best car for their needs.
  • gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    I found some intersting pictures.
    They are both 2006 model Sonatas. Only difference is that one of'em is Korea only model and the other one is American model.

Korean Models
    http://icarpos.net/newcar/images/0410_d1_4.jpg

http://carzmall.com/becommunity/board_dir/25/catalog/20041204/ca0_nfs-2.jpg

Korean model sonata dash board light is either orange or blue

American model

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/641/641527/first-drive-2006-hyundai-sonata-200- - - - 50812115923194.jpg

Official Hyundai Sonata Website
    http://www.hyundai-motor.com/common/html/showroom/flash/sonata/main_ui.html
    Your child definitely won't get noticed in a Sonata....

The Sonata does offer a lot for the $, but who knows how it'll last. Big question mark there since its a new model built in a new factory. Kinda like Saturn. It started out great and then............
    All the 4 reasons you mentioned mean NOTHING to the largest segment of midsized buyers in the market. 800000+ buyers want a basic 4c utility vehicle - not a V6 head turner.

I am not sure that this is true (not sure that its not either), do you know the ratio of 4 cylinders vs 6 cylinders in the midsize car market? Lets say its true, the Fusion does come in a 4 cylinder version at a reasonable price (much less than the base CamCords).

• ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    2) Better exterior style and equal interior design
    3) Head turner - I you are single want to mingle this is the one to get in the mid-size segment.
    4) More nimble - fun to drive like the madza6

Is this what consumers want in a mid-size car?
    Maybe not, based on the lackluster sales for the Mazda6 (e.g. $5500 off any 2005 Mazda6 at my local dealer).
    Not until you get behind the wheel of a car and drive it can you really critique a car's overall worth. Case in point the 325i. Not so warm of an interior, but what a machine on the road (bit small for me tho). So to praise/bash the Fusion for it's interior without driving the car (or any car) is a shallow critique. Go drive it. I thought it was a nice ride.

Still wouldn't buy it tho over an Accord. Or the Sonata LX. And can't wait to see the 07 Camry. Good luck to Ford. Are they gonna pull a GM?
    Camry ( approaching 500K units per annum )
    nationally..
    85% 4c vs our store 90+% 4c
    15% 6c vs our store <10% 6c

Accord ( ~450K units p.a. )
    80% 4c I'm estimating .. <i>isell...?
    20% 6c

Altima ( ~350K units p.a. )
    80% 4c I'm estimating
    20% 6c

Hyundai just announced last month that they too were concentrating their resources on their 4c business.

For the top three models thats about 1.3 Million units total with about 80% ( 1 Million units ) as 4c.

I believe that Ford slipped up in not introducing first a feature-laden 4c like Hyundai has if they were really serious about fighting the CamCordAlt's. Their loyal V6 lifetime Ford buyers will stick with them with the traditional V6's. It's the conquest sales they need to win from the other three. The message from Ford by delaying the introduction of the 4c is 'not here.. go see ToyHonNis if you want a 4c utility vehicle'.
    It's a peripheral vehicle.. great style and handling.. but Ma and Pa America dont need or want all that it has.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    spending a short time, like did at the local autoshow, yesterday, does help point out obvious warts and sometimes wonders. the upper area in the center dash of the sonata is a wart, at least without the nav screen, or whatever was in the pictures posted earlier. the accord dash was not impreseive either, i have read the in the upscale models, it is finished better. the pilot without a doubt better than the accord i sat it. the fusion dash isn't great, but not as bad as it seems in pictures. camry seemed to have the least controls of any.
    i was immediatly comfortable in the sonata driver's seat. the others didn't seem bad, though.
    driving is a whole other catagory than the interior, but you do have to look at the interior and use it every day.
    i have an '04 focus, so i don't judge a vehicle just on the interior. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Interesting that you immediately felt comfortable in the Sonata's driver seat cuz that was the one issue I had with the car. I otherwise liked the vehicle. So one man's(?) opinion of a car shouldn't cloud another's. Like these car mags and Power and CR do. They give you a starting point, or just weed out the lame.

Which confirms my point that ya gotta drive the cars for a true test. I really think a better test is the 24 hour test drive thing. Get a much better feel for the car's everyday offering.

So I've driven all 4 of these vehicles. My ranking
    1. Accord
    2. Camry
    3. Sonata
    4. Fusion

FWIW
    That's a good point about a "24 hour test drive." I've found driving cars as rentals is a good way to evaluate them. How do they feel after driving them for a few days? How do they hold up after some hard miles in a rental fleet? Unfortunately, of these four models the only one widely available as a rental now is the Camry. Maybe in time Fusion and Sonata will enter the rental fleets, but there aren't many Accords in the fleets. That's good for owners, but bad for buyers. And I've not known Honda to offer a "24 hour test drive" like GM and some others have done.

My own personal ranking after driving 3 of the 4 is:

Sonata GLS
    Accord EX
    Camry LE

These were all 4 cylinders. I also drove the Sonata LX and thought it was a fine car, but I've not driven the Accord or Camry V6s in a long time. I would buy the 4 cylinder; I only drove the V6 Sonata because it was during an open house event for the new Sonata and they had LXes sitting there waiting to drive. I am waiting for the I4 Fusion to drive it--my local dealer hasn't had any the two times I stopped in.

When the '07 Camry comes, this could all change of course...
    My pecking order would be different. In terms of the better car for the money. I'd say:

1. Accord
    2. Fusion
    3. Sonata
    4. Camry

I decided that before I even say the CD comparo. The 07 Camry I don't think will change my mind. It is still big and bloated. I say a black Sonata today and it was real sharp looking. The interior really urks me on that car. The Fusion, I'd give a nod to before the Sonata because I like the driving dynamics, looks, and interior better. I too went to a car show last weekend in Hartford, CT. The Fusion with the piano black trim, I do not like. What I am planning to do if I buy one is get the Wales Mahogany that is offered in a Mercury and place in it. That's the plan as it stands. The Sonata is close though, very close. I also don't understand why you can't get a Sonata with black interior.
    I respectfully disagree. I too believe it will not be number 1 in America but for a different reason. It is not designed to be. It is designed almost as a niche player. It is for those who are bored with a Camcord and want driving dynamics. It is for those who love to drive, and want to express themselves. I am 24 and will not be caught in a Camry, dead or alive. I'd be glad to be burried in one, just to get that eye sore off the street. The Fusion grabs my attention. It is an exciting vehicle. I think it will do very well. I also think that Ford would be wise to create its own particular niche buyer that is not your average Camcord buyer. This would go a long way to establishing soem loyalty. And where will the people come from? There are Camcord drivers both young and old that are craving something that actually makes them want to drive. You can't tell me that Ford isn't going to get conquest buyers. Come on now. The big bold design will do a lot. Remember, when the 300 was first introduced, people thought it wouldn't do well either.
    You can get a Sonata with a black interior... just not in North America. I saw one in Seoul and I didn't care for the red stitching on the leather seats. Oh well, I don't like black interiors in general. Maybe that's why I didn't like the black interior of the Accord EX I drove, with its mouse-fur interior. Did the fabric change for '06 on the Accord?
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Maybe that's why I didn't like the black interior of the Accord EX I drove, with its mouse-fur interior. Did the fabric change for '06 on the Accord?

Nope. I just came back from a visit to the Honda dealer and sat in an 06. It has the same seat material. I actually dont mind the mouse-fur feel. But after having leather, I don't think I can go back to having fabric.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    exactly. Ford has made a very, very, very good vehicle in the Fusion. It is for those who would like a little style with their substance. The grille with all the chrome is done very nicely and I think it will go over well with Americans once they get a nice look at it.

It's true, I rented an '05 Camry in eastern Idaho a couple months ago and, although the car is put together well and drives nicely, it is so mundane looking it isn't funny. Toyota best be doing some decent body designing on that thing. It looks horrid.

It sounds like the Fusion will drive well when pushed, and will ask to be pushed harder. A sporty kind of rig. Ford has priced it fairly competitively, too.

I was reading Car and Driver and their comparo of these four cars, and from just a looks standpoint the Hyundai Sonata stands out very nicely. The one in jet black looks great with its foglights on.

Ford designers prefer the black Fusion and it does look good. It would be between the red and the black if I were to spring for a Fusion. The 4-cyl.5-speed is available and that is good-that's the one I'd go for.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Absolutely wrong , false and untrue. The Fusion is a released to compete head-on with the camCords. What niche? Ford doesnt have the time and resources anymore to do a half a?? midsize car. You read news lately? You think Ford is eyeing just for the niche market? They failed again and accept that. I would be caught dead and alive in a Ford. All of them. Dont wanna get gilled alive.
  • iwantonetooiwantonetoo Member Posts: 86
    Now don't hold back, what do you really think about Ford? :D
    I'm wrong? Oh really. Go back to when Ford debuted the Fusion. Edmunds has a video for it that clearly states that it was built as a driver's car. That's the first thing. Secondly, marketing wise it does cater to a specific "niche" buyer. Ford has openly stated it is going after a younger demographic for the car that puts an emphasis on style and distinction. Do you know better than those who built the car? Look at the advertising and tell me again I am not telling the truth.

Now for your other comments. It would be wise for Ford to cater to a younger, more driver orientated niche. These are members of the Y generation. They are only out numbered by the Baby Boomer generation which are graduating to more expensive cars. One of Toyota's main problems is that young people simply refuse to buy them. By young I am not talking 18 year olds, I am talking the 25-35 year old crowd. If Ford can grab these people's interest, and give them a product that will gather some brand loyalty, that would be a smart move. Also you can get an old man to buy a young man's car, but not the other way around.

I have read the news. Ford is having some woes... but not with the Fusion. It is actually off to a fast start. They have the Edge on the way next year which is very good and a new more competitive engine and tranny.

I will say this. Ford needs to pull out all the stops. That is where I see their biggest flaw is. Tune that 3.5 to be the most powerful engine in its class, put in a manu shift six speed tranny, and put the safety equipment as standard. Aim squarely to be number one in something that matters to people. The real claim to fame for the Fusion right now is styling. That's a good start but we need more.

If I had to buy a Fusion, it would be a redfire red one, with the black on beige interior, SE V6 (or perhaps 4 banger. I would then go to the aftermarket and get the Milan's Mahogany Wood for the front console and door panels. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers. :)
    Ok, ok, calm down... maybe take a cold shower. :)
    Driver's car? Niche car? If I wanted to buy a driver's car I would buy a smaller one and a RWD. I suppose Ford has the extra money to throw into RD millions just so that they can satisfy 5% of the market. Who said that only 0ld people want to drive a Toyota ( 35+ old)? I'm not old and I drive 2 Toyota's. What does it tell you? Youre talking out of your a??. Niche car? I dont believe so. If they are, they could have just keep the Mazda 6 dimension but instead they made it bigger because that's one of the reason the 6's is not selling well. Well then if you say so, if Ford is swimming in money and she doest want revenues/sales ( like Ford is doing well) then go ahead treat the Fusion as 'niche car". Well then what's it niche about? Certainly not a driver's car, its engine even with a V6 certainly doesnt say "I'm a driver's car".
    By the way where in the he?? did you get that 25-35 years old? This is the problem. You know why Toyota is doing well? They dont do assumptions. If you see their line up, there is nothing to get exicited about, but they are selling well. Renault is similar.
    It is for those who are bored with a Camcord and want driving dynamics.

Absolutely wrong with this statement. Maybe for the Camry with its soft ride. But have you ever driven an Accord? Its got a racing heritage and the car feels like it should be on a track somewhere. Tighter handling than the Camry and more road feel.

When you see the Focus lowered and rimmmed and punked (like a million Hondas) then maybe its "dynamics" will be validated. But you can't just make a car and gain instant credibility and acceptance, which is what Fusion is trying to do. BTW haven't seen one on the road yet.
    Let me repeat that again. :D I dont wanna get caught driving a Ford, dead or alive. If I'm alive, I dont wanna get grilled with barbecue sauce alive. If I'm dead, I dont wanna get creamated in a Ford. Advice for people who's planning to buy a Ford Fusion, dont park it in the garage.
    I am sticking to my original statement "the Fusion will be #1 in 3 years". I think the American public wants to buy American. Just by Fusion being competitive is enough to make some folks close the deal. Honda has a nice product but it's over priced and bland. In this day and age when everyone wants to pimp their car; Fusion is smack in the middle of a pimpout ride and a family sedan. Parents with teenage kids will split the difference and go with Fusion. GM is on the way down but Fusion will put some excitement back into the American buying public.
    Why do some of you people hate Ford so much? I have had a 99 Contour Se for 4 years without a single problem and believe me when in say I drive this baby hard. I am not saying Ford has been stella. I think they are on the right track unlike GM.
    #1 sport coup - Mustang
    #1 selling SUV - Explorer
    #1 pickup truck - F150
    pretty soon Fusion will be joining this lineup
This discussion has been closed.