Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Actually I agree. If they were both the same price, and
    had the same warranty, and the same standard features,
    I would probably buy the Accord. But the 6k difference
    sealed the deal. ;);)
    MSRP for the Honda Accord LX V6 is close to 26K.
    And good luck trying to get much off that.

MSRP for my 2000 Honda Accord LX V6 was 22.5K. I got it
    for around 21.

My Sonata GLS V6 cost 18k. 19.4 OTD And I am seeing
    reports on the Sonata Buying forum of people paying
    much less than 18K.

Maybe you misread my message? I said my Sonata cost
    me 3K less than my 2000 Honda Accord LX V6.
  • sonatamesonatame Member Posts: 72
    I don't put Hyundai on the same level as Honda.

I actually would not say that Hyundai is not at the same level as Honda in the automotive world. With both in the garage you can see that all the quality is there in both vehicles. The Dealers for the Hyundai were much nicer to work with and made the whole experience pleasant. When purchasing the Honda it was more like we joined an exclusive golf club and there were plenty of people waiting to join. Hopefully very few of us will have to deal directly with the manufacturers, but the dealers can make a big difference in which car is ultimately purchased. I talked with a ford dealer before purchasing the Sonata and the first thing out of the mouth of the sales person was "I have a guy coming back from Europe to purchase this car", the accounting department said the same thing. I didn't purchase the car because of the deal, but the next day I got a call from the sales person returning my call that I never made. In other words an honest sales person will get my vote and business whether at an exclusive Honda dealer or a down to earth Hyundai dealer.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    I don't put Hyundai on the same level as Honda.

You should talk to my son-in-law, he owns a Honda my daughter owns a Hyundai. Last night he told me that her Hyundai was better than his Honda in quality.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• 94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    Here is my theory on why there are so many Hyundai lovers on this board. It just seems there are about 5 Hyundai owners to every Honda and about 10 to every Camry.

I think that a lot of people that come to Edmunds really do a lot of research before they buy a vehicle. They just don't buy an Accord or Camry because every body else did. They actually look at the competition and then find which vehicle will best fit their criteria. After doing this research and tons of test drives they finally make a decision. When making the decision they find that they can get a very comparable or superior car for about $5,000 cheaper than the rest and the decision becomes very easy.

If everybody that bought a car actually did this, then I feel that Hyundai would have a really hard time keeping up with productiion. Unfortuantely a lot of people don't want to do the research and could care less and just buy the old dependable Camry and Accord.

I'm probably rambling, but that is why I think there are more Hyundai owners than Accord or Camry on this board. Probably, also the fact that most Hyundai owners can't believe how good there Sonatas are and want to fill everybody in on their little secret that saved them about $5,000 for a comparable car.

Having said all that, you really can't go wrong with all three.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    You should talk to my friends. All of em agree Honda builds a better car than Hyundai. Even the guy with the Elantra, although he did not pay a Honda price.

I too think Honda builds a better car than anyone, but also agree that Hyundai builds a good car now. Hyundai just doesn't have the appeal with me as other vehicles.
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I've been researching and shopping for another midsize sedan, because my Malibu has a lot of miles on it, and I have a son that will be driving in about a year, so I need a third car. I have plenty of time, so I'm not in a rush to buy, but am taking the time to compare. I have driven the Sonata, the Accord, the Camry and the Fusion. The Fusion did not impress me enough to give it a second look. The Camry didn't seem to have the feel of the road that the others had and the XLE that I drove didn't seem to have the immediate 'pick up' that the Sonata and Accord had when I stepped on the accelerator. I liked the Accord... but one thing that is very important to me is head room, and the Accord is about 2 inches less headroom than the Sonata... and I did notice this. I felt more comfortable in the Sonata, and the front seat issue that others have talked about didn't seem to be a problem for me.

Anyway... at the beginning of the year, the local Honda dealer had called me about his End-Of-Year sale, so just for grins and being curious, I got OTD quotes on a 06 Accord EX V6 and called the Hyundai dealer for a quote on a 06 Sonata LX V6 Limited ... comparily equiped. The quote on the Honda was 28,900. The quote on the Hyundai was 20,600. An $8,000 difference. The Accord had some ammenities that I liked better than the Sonata, and visa versa. Hmmmm... do I want to spend $8,000 more for a car that I have to crank the seat all the way down and tilt the seat back a little so that I fit?

I will probably wait until this fall and see what the 2007 Camry is like, and see what changes are made to the 07 Sonata and if I can get a better deal on something. In the meantime, I am reading, driving and comparing.
  • banshee1banshee1 Member Posts: 12
    Did you get a quote on the Accord with nav? The MSRP on the Accord V-6 without nav is $27,850. If so you weren't quite comparing apples to apples.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    May I suggest another dealer? If you were quoted $28,900 on an Accord V6 w/o navi, the salesman thinks he can get you for 1200 over MSRP. If you'll check out the Accord Prices Paid forums, you will see that several folks have gotten quotes of $24-25k for the same car you got quoted 29k. Just a tip, I learned that internet sales prices can sometimes be lower than walking in and getting a quote, or calling. If you shop around, you shouldn't pay more than $25k for an EXV6 non-NAVI Accord.
  • melvin384melvin384 Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought an EX V6 w/o Nav for 24,500 including destination. As you said it listed for 27,850. These deals are common in Boston and even on a New Hampshire ski trip was saw six advertised at Berlin City auto for 24,555. Hyundai is definately giving Honda much needed competition.

I did test drive a Sonata LX w/ sunroof package, was very impressed, and would have bought one if the price differential was as large as everyone here proclaims. In fact, for me the difference was closer to two thousand and I still had to do the Hyundai finance dance. Despite being cheaper,for really an equivalent vehicle, I felt the Sonata's residual value would not be not as strong as the Accords... yet. That may change, and if i wanted an 1-4, i would have gone w/ the Sonata because of the VSC and traction control.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For only a $2000 difference I can see why you would go with the Accord, especially if you plan on trading the car in 2-3 years. I'd say your Hyundai dealer isn't trying very hard--you should have easily been able to get $4000 off MSRP on the Sonata, including rebates, putting it more like $4000 less than the Accord.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    You should talk to my son-in-law, he owns a Honda my daughter owns a Hyundai. Last night he told me that her Hyundai was better than his Honda in quality.

You should talk to my friend who compared my Accord with his Sonata.

We both own the top models and decided to compare one day.
    The Accord is worth the extra to some. My friend told me that he would have bought an Accord. But his brother works at that the Hyundai dealership, and offers him high incentives.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Has a review of the Camry. They tested a rare bird- the manual transmission SE with stability control. Overall, they praised the suspension and steering improvements, revised styling inside and out, roominess, quality, etc.... but called it the "anti-sport sedan" on account of Toyota's overly intrusive stability control system. A shame, since the suspension and steering were lauded.

Still, about what? <5% of Camry buyers are going to actually choose the SE 5M VSC model....

I was hoping for a review of the LE 4 5A, and XLE orSE V6 6A to get a better cross section.....and a POV on the new 6 speed automatic and V6 combo

~alpha
    I wonder how many people will push their Camrys to the point where the VSC becomes intrusive, on a regular basis. I suspect that most drivers of family sedans don't go charging around corners or swerving around cones too often. The VSC is there to keep people alive, not to add sportiness to a car.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    He said the prices were OTD prices meaning all dealer fees, sales tax, etc. were included.
    Backy, I agree. I think the point C/D was trying to make was that if Toyota is going to market the Camry SE as a sporting sedan, the VSC inhibits it from being one, given the improved suspension/steering. Thats seems fair to meet.

Note C/D wasnt anywhere near as critical in their very balanced review (and last place ranking) of the Camry XLE V6 (2006) in their December issue- that model is one for which the company makes no pretenses, and it acquitted itself well, IMO, for a 5 year old design, losing by only a few points to the Sonata and Fusion (though the Accord EX V6 trounced it).

Still, your point remains, very few will bring the car to the point of VSC intervention...

~alpha
    At this time I would pick the Sonata LX over the Accord due to my preferences and experience with both cars. After another year or two this could change if the Sonata LX fell apart on me, which I doubt will happen. I looked at pictures of the 2007 Accord and did not see much change in looks and interior. The new 2007 Camry fixed the ugly trunk look by copying the Beamer and Avera trunk style. The front end looks sportier but puts the looks closer to the Sonata and Altima from a straight on look. I am going to the car show this weekend just to see close up what everything looks like and to see the Chevy camero proto.
    This is a copy of a posting by Austinman7 on the Camry-Future Vehicles board. I had inquired if the overall tone of the article was lukewarm, since I have not had the opportunity to read it yet myself:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    alpha01,

0-60 is 8.6 sec.
    5-60 street start is 9.1 sec.
    70-0 braking is 175 ft.
    Skidpad: .82g

They say they took a 4 cyl. because it represents 60 percent of all Camry sales, and the 5-speed manual fits their readers' priorities. They promised more tests with the V-6 and hybrid setups in the future.

As for the "lukewarm" idea, my experience with C&D is that it's hard for them to be really enthusiastic about any car, no matter what its purpose is, unless it has a sporty nature, and they're very upfront about that point of view. So my previous car, for example, a '96 Buick Regal, represents to C&D everything bad about cars, but for me it was a super quiet, smooth, powerful, comfortable highway cruiser with great dependability, and I was willing to live with the floaty suspension.

But my reading of this article is that they really like this 07 Camry, with the caveat of the stability control system. At the end of the article they say they would give this SE the "checkered flag" as a sport sedan if it weren't for that one aspect. Otherwise, they praise it as "athletic" and having "responsive steering and resolute roll control." And they give Toyota lots of credit for the unique engineering in this SE that makes it more than just a Camry with a different badge.

It sounds to me like many of us who are kind of semi-enthusiasts would find this car to be fairly sporty. Instead of C&D's "anti-sport" sedan tag, maybe "semi-sport" sedan would be more fair.

Finally, I'm really taken by the looks of this car in the C&D photos. I hope it looks as good in real life.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
  • jpnewtjpnewt Member Posts: 71
    Resale value tells you alot about a vehicle and not all is perception. It tells you what will happen down the road not 6 months not a year but further along and which vehicles will start having problems. I'll bet you will take that 5 year/10 year warranty cause your going to need it. By the way Honda's powertrain warranty is now 5yr/60k. Quality is better? Have you looked at Car and Driver? Honda Accord for the 20th time is 10 Best Hyundai ever? On top of that they appear to say Accord is Better in fit and finish 10 to 8, interior styling 9 to 7, handling 9 to 7, ride 9 to 7 driver comfort 10 to 7. It looks like your Hyundai beat Honda in hum Trunk space,rear seat space,price of course and last but not least rebates which lowers your resale value and need them to sell the car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    0-60 is 8.6 sec.
    5-60 street start is 9.1 sec.
    70-0 braking is 175 ft.
    Skidpad: .82g

These are the Car and Driver numbers on the new Camry manual tranny 4-cyl? Car and Driver tested an Accord EX manual back in 2003 or 2004 which undercut the 0-60 number by more than a second (7.5, to be precise)! What gives? Their FE is similar (in fact, isn't the current Accord's better than the new Camry?Maybe the Camry weighs more?

A little help, guys?
    jpnewt,
    Using your logic the Honda Accord just lost points in Quality because they legnthened the warranty and I guess your going to need it! CD also put the SR 4 ahead of the mercedes equiv even though the S 4 had one of the worst ratings for quality ever.

Depending on what you read the two seem to trade off position, which tells me it is all opinion of a human's preferences that might not be the same as yours or mine
    The new Camry outweighs the current Accord by about 220 lbs, I believe. I'll give you an exact figure after I see the article, C/D should have published the weight of the Camry SE 5M w/VSC...

The Accord is lighter than the Sonata as well, which weighs about the same as the Camry...

The acceleration figures arent very impressive, but the skidpad and braking are both improvements over previous generation. Actually, I thought the added weight to the Camry would slow it down more than it did; the previous, lighter Camry SE 5M tested by C/D did 0-60 in 8.3 seconds, and I believe, the street start in 9 flat, so no improvement, but not markedly worse, given that it has a good deal more weight due to the structrual enhancements, VSC/Side Curtain weight, etc.
    It tells you what will happen down the road not 6 months not a year but further along and which vehicles will start having problems.

Resale value has a historical perspective. A car today can have low resale value because of public perception and also reality of how previous cars from the same manufacturer have held up. It is also a measure of the desirability of the car. So that is why cars like the Accord and Camry have high resale values. They have a long-term reputation for reliability and have been solid performers in their class for many years. The Sonata has only recently had a good reputation for reliability and until the '06 model was not fully competitive with the best cars in its class. It will take awhile for resale value to catch up. That is why Hyundai has to put such large incentives on the Sonata today.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    You should talk to my friends. All of em agree Honda builds a better car than Hyundai. Even the guy with the Elantra, although he did not pay a Honda price.

From your statement I would guess that all but one of your friends don't have experience in both cars. If so what do they base their opinion on?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• boodahboodah Member Posts: 7
    How does a rebate "lower" your resale value???
    It only lowers your effective resale value if you didn't get the rebate.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Let's say in the extreme.. Like GM/Ford in the last 2 yrs... that you have a new auto with a $22000 MSRP and you can negotiate it down to $20000. Say Camry, Accord, Taurus/Fusion, Sonata all fall into this range. You do a good job negotiating likeeveryone else and drive off happy with a $20000 midsize sedan.

3 Yrs later you want a new one. Instead of ~$20000 as before there is a killer deal on the new one so that you can buy it at ~$16000 brand spanking new. You want to trade yours in to the dealer so that he can put it into his used car inventory. Yours is in great condition but if anybody can come in and buy a brand spanking new one at $16000 at what price do you think the Used Car Manager has to put your 3 y.o. on the lot? It's got ~45K miles and some little nicks and some wear inside. He's had to clean it up and put on new tires and recondition it to the tune of may be $800 and then make a profit ( $1500 min? ) plus interest and lot fees say $200 min.

So between his acquistion cost ( what he pays to you on trade ) and sales price it's a min of ~ $2500. But at what price should he sell a 3 y.o. sedan if a brand new one is $16000? What would you pay for it as a used buyer? $10000? So the most he can pay now for your vehicle ( trade value ) is ~$7500. It cost you $20000 and it was a good deal to you at that time.

It's just that the $4000 in new car rebates now have decreased the value of your trade by about the same amount. Rebates dont help the existing owners at all.

In fact if you were a business and the market went against you like this, by GAAP, you'd have to write down the value of your assets by the current market value reduction.

Now take the same figures and percentages on a vehicle with no rebates and again a good negotiation results in a $20000 price. On this lot the UC Mgr could offer his trades for sale in the $13500-$14000 range i.s.o. $10000 as in the case of your vehicle. He can also pay the prospective 'trader' about $11000 for his trade whereas you were offered $7500 for yours. But you both paid $20000 originally.

Ford and GM and DC buyers have been taking it on the chin like this for 4 years. They come back in 3-4 years and find that the lying scummy dealers are trying to 'steal' their trade where their neighbor just traded his 2000 Accord for $11000 and they are being offered $7000 or less.
    Yep, what he said.

So make sure you get the rebate and that there are not going to be any larger rebates in the future too. Get that one in writing. Better yet lease, then it's never a question.
    I think you forgot the ;) at the end of your last comment, about getting it in writing that there will never be bigger rebates.

Besides, that isn't necessary. If someone has two choices for a car that they can live with, and one costs $5000 or more less than the other one, and we are talking about $20k cars, the lower price offsets the lower resale value. The problem is when you don't get a good deal up front, e.g. if you have to be the first on your block with a new model, before the discounts and rebates appear, or you don't know how to go about getting the best price on a car. Then the lease might work out better--at least you know exactly what you will pay out for the car.
    March issue has very positive reviews of the Fusion and Sonata.

Their ranking went like this:
    Fusion SEL V6 (6A)
    Sonata V6 GLS (5A)
    Sonata GLS 4 (4A)
    Milan Premier (I think) (5A)

CR's goin nuts these days, testing many models and trims, which I think is great- in the current issue, CR tested 2 versions of each of the Passat, Fusion/Milan, Sonata, and Charger. They also tested one Impala, and one Monte Carlo.

~alpha
    Isn't the SEL the top-trim Fusion? And the Premier the top-trim Milan? If so, why didn't CR test a top-trim Sonata I wonder?

Do you know how they ranked these 3 cars vs. others in their class, e.g. Accord and Camry?
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    consumers are smarter than ever. With the internet they are learning more and more about vehicle quality and reliability. With all the chat rooms about cars around the net these days you can see there reliability and quality of ALL brands is in the open.
    My feelings are it is going to come to price/value. Some consumers with "blinders on" still believe Honda and Toyota will never, ever fall from thier thrones. I believe differently. If you get out on the net and read what consumers are saying you may change your thought process a bit. Hyundia is a threat to Honda more than Toyota right now. Quality is there in GM/Ford products. If some would do the research and read they would see this. This vehicle segment is the most intense fought after segment. With all the choices, consumers will be the winner. Choice is nice... :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    a solid choice in this comparo, the Long-Haul Warranty and low initial price, as well as plenty of safety equipment built in at the factory and great looks to boot, the Sonata an easy choice here.

I've been looking at the 2007 Kia Optima in pictures and feature content, etc. at the Kia Motors America website and that car is a looker.

Actually, out of these cars here I'd get a 2007 Kia Optima. Great looks, great Warranty, an AM/FM/CD/Cassette changer and a 2.4L 4-cylinder engine coupled with a 5-speed tranny that is supposed to get over 30 miles per gallon.

One thing I didn't find out was price, but I would venture a guess that the 4-cylinder 2007 Kia Optima in 5-speed tranny form would probably run you around $17,995, give or take a Hasselback completion or two. Not bad. Not bad at all, gentlemen.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Actually, out of these cars here I'd get a 2007 Kia Optima.

That's great, iluv, but the Optima is not one of these cars here. :(

The Sonata comes in 4-cylinder, stick-shift, 34 mpg highway form too, for under $18k. And it also offers a 235 hp V6, which apparently that "other car" will not.

There is a Midsized Sedan discussion here where we are free to discuss the Optima and all the other mid-sizers ad nauseum.
    I dont think it matters that CR didnt test the Sonata LX. Their GLS V6 had the 17 inch tires (Premium Sport Pkg), so I highly doubt leather would have made a difference in the scoring. If anything, the $22,995 price tag spoke clearly to the value of the vehicle. Of course, they praised the car's standard safety features, engine refinement, room, equipment, etc. The V6 tested an entire 3 full seconds quicker to 60 (7.5 seconds vs. 10.5 seconds), but gave up only 2 MPG in their assessment of fuel efficiency (21 vs. 23). Those acceleration times, incidentally, were 5 tenths quicker, and 1 second slower than the V6 Fusion and 4 cylinder Milan, respectively.

The Milan was about $20 or $21K, so maybe it wasnt a Premier, Im not totally familiar with the trim lines for that vehicle, I just know from reading the article on the newsstand that it was a 4 cylinder automatic with modest options and it placed behind the Sonata GLS 4 (which I believe had the Premium Pkg).

Backy, does the Sonata require Premium fuel to hit its 162 horse rating for the 4 cylinder? Kia is showing on its website that the 2006.5 Optima requires premium fuel to achieve 161 horses....

~alpha
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    I know there are a lot of Hyundai lovers on this board and I admire them for their enthusiasm but let's call a spade a spade. Let's look at historical facts. Ford and GM resale values have been "low" because of heavy incentives and rebates and the gap is not always made up for entirely by the cheaper cost up front. Every body has complained about low Ford and GM resale values and now all of a sudden Hyundai doing the same thing is somehow okay. I just don't get it. If you pile rebates on, the resale value is hurt by it, likewise if you sell to fleets, the resale value is hurt. Ford has tried to keep incentives on the Fusion low and sales to fleets low as well and they have publicly said that it is to keep residual/resale value high. I think the people working at Ford whose job it is to know this stuff everyday, know better than us that rebates and fleet sales hurt resale values. Likewise, Honda has also said it and VW has also said it. These car companies know more about the car market than all of us do.
    11000 for a 2000 Accord? In your dreams? :)
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You think the neg vibes on Hyundai are bad, don't even start with Kia. I think Hyundai is on their way to shedding these public perceptions. Kia (owned by Hyundai? and probably all 'owned' by the SK government when really scrutinized) will probably never shed the moniker of cheap.
    If you pile rebates on, the resale value is hurt by it, likewise if you sell to fleets, the resale value is hurt.

I don't disagree and have stated such more than once in these discussions. I still maintain that it is possible to overcome higher depreciation by taking full advantage of rebates and negotiating a large discount. I know because I have successfully followed that strategy. I guess we will need to agree to disagree on that point.
    The LX also includes features such as power seat and telescopic wheel (could affect driving comfort for CR's testers), and convenience features such as auto climate control and Homelink mirror. Driving-wise, of course, there would have been no difference with the same 17" wheels as the LX.

I wonder if the difference in transmissions (4-speed vs. 5-speed) had anything to do with the difference in 4-cylinder performance? I have not heard that the 4-cylinder Sonata recommends premium fuel, although I think the V6 does. Maybe a Sonata owner can look in their owner's manual and answer that for us.
  • cxccxc Member Posts: 122
    On highway, my 06 Sonata LX got 28 - 29 mpg on premium fuel while 31 - 32 mpg on regular fuel. There is no difference in terms of performance between regular and premium fuels. In the city driving, Sonata got about 22 mpg on both premium and regular fuels. DO NOT USE PREMIUM FUEL.
  • 94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    I own the I4 GLS and in the owner's manual is says to use regular 87 octane. Now I don't know if you get the 160 hp with that fuel or if you need the premium fuel to reach that hp. I do know that I put in both (Once by accident) and didn't notice any difference and I drive very aggresive.
    I went to STL car show over weekend and found it very interesting overall. Granted a car show is great place to make up a list of potential cars to try, but not where you would make a final decision. I had the opportunity to investigate several of the models listed in this forum. I still like the Accord and Sonata use of wood trim and interior styling better than several of the other brands. I was very impressed by the Passat new style of dash as well as the sharpness of the G6 instrument pannel. I found that I did not like the Fusion/Milan/Lincoln grey looking wood trim. The 2007 Camry went to a mostly metal interior which did not trip my trigger and prefer the 2006 interior more. As far as outside looks go Ford has stepped it up with their new entries, but the 2007 Accord really does need to change a little more. I also liked the 2007 Camry rearend, but the front end looked more similar to a cross between the Mazada 6 and studabaker. Best leather seats in these price ranges was the Buick Lacerne which felt as comfortable as living room furniture (dash reminds you of your dad's oldsmobile). Biggest disappointment were the Charger/300 dashes and interior.

For anyone in this forum who would like to see what the differences are in looks, I would recommend a local car show. After four hours of sitting in and looking at all the cars I am very happy with my Toyota Sienna, Hyundai Sonata and Honda Accord.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Was the Accord, Camry, Altima...or any other mid-size ranked against those sedans?
    In the overall ratings, yes. I dont quite remember the ordering, but I do recall that the Sonata GLS V6 placed second only to the Accord EX 4 5A in the "Sedans Under $25,000" table.

~alpha
  • jpnewtjpnewt Member Posts: 71
    But if you have to continually put rebates on a vehicle then how can your resale value ever go up? If the Sonata is such a great buy then the low price should be enough and no rebate should be necessary.
    resale is also dictated by customer satisfaction and the resale of a car like the 2006 Sonata could go up even with all the rebates and etc due to demand. It does not matter what you pay, but what the demand is. Jaguar X-type are quite expensive, but their resale is awful due to quality problems and lack of demand. Toyota and Honda have good resale due to DEMAND - consumers believe these cars to be high mileage dependable cars. As more people buy the Sonata the demand will increase and the rebates will lesson. In five years if the demand for this model is high and the quality in high mileage is good, these cars will have equal value in the market to Accords and Camrys. For now, the value of the Sonata resale will be an unknown, which is the risk some will take.
    The ultra agressive price is due to the rebates.

The rebate program in theory anyway is a temporary measure. The List Price of a Sonata is about $2500 below the other midsized sedans similarly-equipped, but few would buy a Sonata at this time with only a $2500 discount. As production in AL comes up and they begin to fill the plant, they are buying volume now, the rebates are likely to become skinnier. If the new model does hold up in 3-5 years then the market values will start to come up also.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Sonata is buying the market, apparently. Which is a good thing for consumers. Hyundai is putting out a better car now. If it lasts 5+ years and doesn't need a lot of maintenance, resale value is immaterial, especially if you can buy it for thousands less than a CamCord.

Saw about 5 of em in a hotel parking lot the other day. Then I realized they were all rentals....
  • bokonon1bokonon1 Member Posts: 10
    I am glad Consumer Reports liked the Fusion SEL. I've test driven all of these cars myself recently, and I found that I preferred the Fusion as well. By a big margin. The Fusion was a car that I actually wanted to BUY, as opposed to tolerate.

Each to their own. I can understand why many people on this forum prefer the Sonata or the Accord or the Camry. But the Fusion is a darned good car -- and buyers really need to go and see the car for themselves, and drive it for themselves, rather than judging by the opinions of others.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.