Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has actually tested both cars, for your information.

Sonata rceived a 5 Star rating for frontal crash Driver and passenger and 5 Star rating for side crash for front and back passengers

Anyone who quotes the NHTSA for safety ratings is grasping at straws. Be vehement in your likes and argumentations - but dont use flawed data. The Gov's methodology and tests are 15 yrs out of date. It is a just a political body after all is said and done.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    When they do decide to go toe-to-toe with the CamCords on price where do you think sales units will go?

Hyundai's financials are smoke and mirrors - we don't know if the SK government, oops, I mean Hyundai, is making a nice margin on their cars. But their cars have gotten better. They're buying market share now by undercutting the others. Its the only way they can sell that many vehicles. So - what the hay.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Spoken like a true Toyota salesman! :)

One thing you are forgetting is that times are a changin'. Today, the Sonata needs to be priced below the Camry (and Accord) because even though the cars are now very close in capability, quality, and features, public perception lags current reality. But look how much ground Hyundai has made up with the Sonata in the past 15 years. Yes, Camry and Accord are improving over time also. But I submit that the Sonata is improving at a greater rate. So four years from now, we could be seeing a different picture--and public perception will have had time to adjust, based on the current-gen Sonata.

The other thing that should change by then is the 10-year Hyundai warranty will be gone. HMA has committed to keeping it only until the 2008 MY. Then maybe some folks won't pick at Hyundai because of its long warranty. I suppose they might say then, "Why did Hyundai cut its warranty, doesn't it have faith in the quality of its cars anymore?" ;)
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Yes, and I drove a Civic back in 77. Really
    crummy little car. But what does that have to do
    with anything in this forum.

Kinf of like your comment. :)
  • Options
    Let's not read too much into the IIHS not publishing its ratings on the Sonata. As I stated, there can be a number of reasons why the scores haven't come out is. Another is that the IIHS did NOT do the test in late 2005 as their web site stated (it still says "will be tested", not "tested in late 2005"). Anyway, Toyota paid the IIHS to test the new GS early. Maybe Hyundai decided to wait for the normal testing cycle, as happens for almost all other cars the IIHS tests. (Or maybe the IIHS didn't test the Soanta because they were too busy pocketing Toyota's money and testing the GS. :P )

It is interesting to me though that the Sonata did better in the less-severe NHTSA tests than a number of other cars that did well on the IIHS tests, e.g. Accord and Civic. For example, the Sonata had lower head injury scores on the NHTSA side impact test than the Civic did, and the Civic got a "Good" score on the IIHS side impact test. So to me that says there is a good chance the Sonata will do well on the IIHS tests. But we'll need to wait for the test results to know for sure.
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I can think of some great meanings for
    OPDS, but why don't you tell us all what this
    must have feature is?
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Ctalk, just as an FYI, the GS was tested b/c Lexus paid for it- this is how the IIHS works. If the vehicle isnt scheduled to be tested for a good amount of time, a manufacturer can request a test and provide reimbursement for the crashed vehicle.

Now, from what I understand, in presentation of their 'Top Safety Picks', IIHS put it to the manufacturers as to whether or not they wanted vehicles tested ahead of schedule to be eligible for the award. If that was the case, again, it was the manufacturer's responsiblity to reimburse. This is why the Civic was tested independently of any other small car, and why the Ford Five Hundred has only been side crashed WITH Side Curtains, even though they arent standard.

So- me thinks, like you said, either the Sonata wasn't fronted by Hyundai, or it was and and did NOT do well....

~alpha
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    It is interesting to me though that the Sonata did better in the less-severe NHTSA tests than a number of other cars that did well on the IIHS tests, e.g. Accord and Civic.

Maybe I interpreted their rating system the wrong way? The higher the number, the higher the injury? Or is it the other way around. :confuse:

If I got the right way, the Accord seemed to score better than the Sonata.

Accord Side:
    Head Injury Criterion2 (HIC) 216 /397
    Thoracic Trauma Index (TTI) 62 /61
    Pelvis Deceleration2 (g's) 65 /58

Sonata Side:
    Head Injury Criterion2 (HIC) 265 /472
    Thoracic Trauma Index (TTI) 55 /49
    Pelvis Deceleration2 (g's) 75 /72
  • Options
    jojoejojoe Member Posts: 81
    "Not only is a Hyundai pratically worthless in 10 years, you probably won't find one that's still running. Do people really keep a Hyundai that long?"

Not only have some folks kept them that long ,but they have put on mega miles or kilometers.Just check this article out. http://www.northpeel.com/br/business/story/3065957p-3556772c.html

Now stop being so silly ,Hyundai is a good car and getting better.It just doesn't suit the preppies and snobs of the world.You don't need own a Honda or Toyota to be special,its all in your mind.I drive a Volvo,Z71 Chev Truck,Honda Accord,Jeep Cherokee and 2006 Sonata(wifes) and I will tell you that I enjoy driving the Sonata as much if not more than my other vehicles.They are all nice and I don't care if everyone else disagrees,we got it because we wanted it for us,not for the followers and wannabes of the world.Our Sonata drives as good or better than our Honda and we didn't buy it because it was less expensive,we bought it because we liked what we saw and how well it drove and handled ,we especially bought it because of how safe this car is.
  • Options
    stockmanjoestockmanjoe Member Posts: 353
    Yes you are so right about the safety aspect of this car. I knew my wife and kids would be in it.

This forum is so funny how we dicker amongest ourselves: the Sonata, Accord and Camry are all excellent cars. Each one has pros and cons. I was all set to buy an Accord but when I drove the Sonata it just made no sense to me to pay that much for a car that was basically as good as the Sonata maybe a hair better, maybe a hair worse but basically the same. I see alot of people buying the Honda just because of the name of which I could give a rats behind about.

Yes the average person might tell you they think Honda is better quality than Hyundai. I know people who have owned Hyundai's now for 3 and 4 years and love them the perception is changing and getting out there and its changing way faster than any of the other car manufactureres expected.
  • Options
    The Accord scored better in 2 of the 3 areas of the NHTSA test, that is correct. I was referring to the fact that the Sonata got at least as good "star" ratings on the NHTSA tests as did the Accord and Civic. And as I mentioned, the Sonata got better head scores on the side impact test than did the Civic, which got a "Good" score by the IIHS.
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    I've been reading your post about South Korean involvement in big business or "Chaebol" of which includes Hyundai, the bankrupted Daewoo, Kia, LG and Samsung. These companies owed a lot of money to the SK government who supported their expansion abroad financially and obtained protection in the local market. We always complain about Japanese protectionism but in reality SK are much worst. Like what you said , its all smoke and mirrors.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    the Sonata, Accord and Camry are all excellent cars. Each one has pros and cons. I was all set to buy an Accord but when I drove the Sonata it just made no sense to me to pay that much for a car that was basically as good as the Sonata maybe a hair better, maybe a hair worse but basically the same.

I agree with all of this.. and it comes down to each person's personal choice. It's that simple.
  • Options
    kankokuonlykankokuonly Member Posts: 15
    When it comes to protectionism, the US is "far worse" than S. Korea thesedays. i.e. Tyco, American Airlines and/or GM/Ford with colossal debts of over $500b combined.... :P
  • Options
    94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    written by jpnewt "Are we really discussing if the Sonata is a better car or if it is a perceived better value? If and I understand it is an "IF" the Accord and Camry were the same price as the Sonata would this discussion still be going on? Probably NOT."

jpnewt: Edmunds already did a comparison with the cars all priced the same and the Sonata won in a landslide.
  • Options
    Another data point: in CR's latest ratings of family cars under $25k, the Accord edged the Sonata and Camry for the top spot; all of them were priced within $1500 of each other with the Accord the most expensive and the Camry the least expensive.
  • Options
    jcm68jcm68 Member Posts: 33
    I wonder why CR did not tested the LX since even w/ Sunroof and 6 CD Changer option is less than $25K? I bought my LX for $20K w/ all bells and whistles (option 3). Again, I don't understand why they did not tested the best Sonata trim..............cuz it would take the Accord out f their 1st rank of all Sedans under $25K?

• Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    There is a big difference in their objective. The US provide help to bail out those companies that are on the verge of bankruptcy while the SK provide help for economic expansion abroad. Lots of scandal and no transparency, that's Hyundai.
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    CAMRY---------------27,440

ACCORD--------------22,046
    Memo:accord hybrid--351

Altima--------------16,758

Sonata--------------11,643

Fusion---------------9,999
    Milan----------------2,023
    Zephyr---------------2,692
  • Options
    chan101quachan101qua Member Posts: 26
    Just notice under the reliable column, Camry and Accord get a solid red, while Sonata get a "new".
    IMO, Sonota 06 is a first year redesigned car, thus you can't say anything much about its reliability. It can be as realiable as Honda / Toyota, or even more, and it can be as crappy as Kia or Suzuki or a number of american car. Buying a Sonata right now have a bit gambling in it, and win or lose = only time will tell.
    While Sonata has a 10 year / 100K mile warranty, it's still a pain in the behind if you have to bring the car to the dealership from time to time, and have to yelling, begging, threatening the dealership into fixing your car under warranty. Also, the warranty doens't pay for your time to bring the car in, and wait for the car to be fixed. I know there are ton of good Hyundai dealership out there, but there are ton of bad one around too. And around my area, they are seem to be more bad than good.
    On the other hand, if it turn out to be a good car, Hyundai sure will raise the price accordingly when the quality is proven. Then, you can brag about your smooking hot Sonata deal with everyone :D
  • Options
    Does Honda have a roadside assistance program?
  • Options
    Sounds like if you throw them alittle extra cabbage the ratings might come out alittle higher ;)
  • Options
    I wondered why CR did not test the top-trim Sonata also. It's not like LX models are scarce. But it's unlikely that the LX would bump the Sonata up the 3 points it would need to top the Accord. The main negatives mentioned by CR for the Sonata were lack of agility and center air vents that are too low (so the driver's right hand and arm might get cold). The first one is interesting given that the Sonata posted the fastest speed of any of the tested cars in the emergency handling test. They said the handling was "safe and secure" but not "agile". They also didn't mention any difference in handling between the GLS I4 with 16" wheels and the GLS V6 with 17-inchers. OK then, I guess I'll save money and get the stock wheels with the "safe and secure" handling. If I want "sporty" handling, I'll get a sports car. ;)

The air vent complaint is interesting in that I don't recall anyone on any of the Sonata discussions here mentioning the vent position as an issue. Maybe owners just aim the air vent so it doesn't blow on the driver's hand and arm? I've noticed in many cars I need to do that to avoid a draft on my arm, or face. I've never considered it a big deal--at least not one worth mentioning as one of the two significant negatives highlighted in a review of a car.
  • Options
    I never aim the vents directly at myself. I don't like
    the feel of the air blowing at me. It would be like
    sitting at home directly in front of my hot air vents.
    I agree, that is really reaching.
  • Options
    moderatemoderate Member Posts: 8
    Hey everyone, I don't understand why you're talking about the Sonata as the low priced vehicle. The lowest price one is the new Ford. And everything I've seen on that vehicle is that the quality is spectacular.

When I test drove one the other day I was extreemely impressed.

Also, I've noticed the grammer on the Sonata posts seems to be foriegn. Sounds a little like a company source...?
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Welcome to the boards. Were you trying to be funny in commenting on grammar, spelling it incorrectly? In any case, grammar, as long as it doesnt affect the content of the post, is not of consequence on edmunds.com, and does NOT point to company sources.

I just spent 20 miles in my GLS V6. When I have a bit more time later in the week, I look forward to posting my thoughts in greater detail.

Initial thoughts:

1) Body leans a bit in corners and hard braking reveals nosedive, though the brakes themselves feel quite robust.

2)The drivetrain is refined, strong, and easily the most appealing feature of the vehicle- especially given its price. Even singing at 6000 (held it in first a bit), theres not a strained sound coming from under the hood. Power easily engages the ESC/TC from a stop.

3) The interior is generally well made, though some switchgear is unappealing to the touch- case in point being the toggle for the power mirror. The cloth upholstery appears durable but is far from plush. The radio display is laughable in its low tech presentation- I've seen sharper, less pixelated text playing Oregon Trail on greenscreen Apple IIe's. Interior styling is simply not to my liking, obviously subjective, but I find the use of the fake wood a bit too judicious, the overall design a bit disjointed- why spread the radio and HVAC controls so far from each other? And though the seats are nice and firm, offering good support for my frame, I defintely feel tipped forward...

4)The ride is generally soft and smooth, with very little impact harshness.

5)Kudos to Hyundai for using an advanced space saving trunk hinge mechanism. Things like this work to counteract the some of the interior misses I cited earlier.

Overall, I really enjoy driving this vehicle, and I cant wait to see what how the revised interior looks...

~alpha
  • Options
    Anyone who whould buy a Ford would be crazy with all the excellent competition thre is out there.
  • Options
    What do I think about the Fusion? Its handling felt "sportier" than the Sonata and Camry. It was surprisingly fun to drive. The styling is growing on me. I still don't like the front grill, too much chrome IMO. The interior was a surprise, but I still feel that the Accord and even Sonata has better materials. One improvement they should make is to offer ESC. The Sonata has it standard on all models, the Accord has it standard on its V6 models and the 2007 Camry may have it standard. I would also like a more powerful engine (which I heard is coming soon) Reliability is also questionable.

Overall a great vehicle. I wouldn't say it's the best, but I would consider it if I was currently shopping in the midsize market. But I've already purchased a sedan which I think, is best for me. The Accord :)
  • Options
    averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    #3866 of 3866 Re: Comparisons [moderate] by averigejoe Feb 05, 2006 (2:12 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: moderate (Feb 05, 2006 1:34 pm)

Sonata GL / Fusion I4 SE
    $17,895 / $17,900
    105 cu ft / 100 cu ft for passengers
    16.3 ft / 15.8 cu ft for luggage
    17.9 ft / 19.4 ft turning radius w/107" wheelbases

Sonata has as standard equipment: More horsepower, ABS, traction control, electronic stability control, 6 extra airbags, better city and highway mileage, bigger gas tank, shorter length and width, longer warranty, heated mirrors, wider tires, security system and more that the Fusion does not have.

The Fusion is poorly equipped compared to the Sonata and the Fusion costs more too!
  • Options
    I really didn't think the radio controls and HVAC controls are that far apart - seprated only by the vents which really had to be there I guess.

But more importantly it wouldn't matter if you could completely control the radio from the steering wheel - for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to have to reach over to the radio itself everytime to change the radio station!!!
  • Options
    Good post! Things like this is why Ford is going out of business.
  • Options
    I don't think the Fusion is as bad as you two make it seem. It is not rated last in comparison tests and has got positive reviews.

It may not offer all the standard features like the Sonata. But it is a well executed vehicle. With a few improvements here and there, it can be near the top.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    The funny thing is that you sound like a company source :-)

Getting back on topic. The logic is fairly easy why the Sonata provides the most value (and bang for the buck). Yes, it is true the Fusion S (base) is priced a few hundred dollars below the Soanta GL (base), but if you look and compare the contents, no wonder everyone has been raving about the new offering from Hyundai. Items such as ABS w/ EBD, traction control, stability control, dual active head restraints, (6) airbags and more, are all standard (even on the base model), versus either optional or not available on the Fusion line. Adding to that a stronger V6, yet better gas mileage per EPA, it is undoubtedly a competitive vehicle in the midsize class.

Since last year, I have been behind the wheels extensively on both cars. While they are both excllent products, and are destined to do well for their respective companies, the Sonata does, however, kick up a notch in many categories valued more importantly by the consumers.
  • Options
    I agree it would not take much to put the Fusion right up there with the class leader, which is right now (until the new Camry proves itself) the Accord. For instance: better safety equipment, better designed center stack, better panel fit, better interior plastics (some good, some not as good). Some people might want a more powerful V6 too, which is on the way. And the other big thing is demonstrated solid reliabillity, which is the biggest advantage that Accord and Camry have over Fusion (and Sonata) at this point IMO. Fusion and Sonata are so very close; let's see how hard Ford and Hyundai want to work to get all the way to the top.
  • Options
    Hahaha!
    I never said the Fusion was bad.
    I just listed a few facts.

One really important one to lots of people is the size of the passenger and cargo area. The EPA classifies the Sonata as a LARGE car. The cars people usually compare the Sonata with are all mid-size cars. (The Elantra is a mid-size. So is Accord, Camry, Fusion, 626, Altima etc...)
    Also, if you check, I think you'll find Sonata is the least expensive large car AND the one that gets the best fuel economy! And look at that warranty.
    What a car!
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    backy,

You mentioned panel fit. As far as exterior body panel fit, it doesn't get any better than the Sonata. I examined a blue GLS V6, and I was astonished at the tolerances. Panel gaps did not vary enough to detect visually. There was not a single mismatched joint on the entire car. The interior was also impressive, but not as outstanding as the exterior.
  • Options
    I agree, I think Hyundai has come a long way in the past few years on panel fit, and this is demonstrated by the Sonata. I think Hyundai's extensive use of robots (which they manufacture!) has something to do with that. I have frequently seen panel fit problems with Camrys, and the Fusion's hood has a huge gap, like it's partially open. The Accords I've seen have had good, even seams.
  • Options
    Does the Sonata feel significantly bigger than its midsize competitors? From my experience no, it doesn't.

Also, if you check, I think you'll find Sonata is the least expensive large car AND the one that gets the best fuel economy!
    We're comparing the Sonata to cars in the midsize segment, not the large segment.

In the midsize segment, the Sonata does not have the best fuel economy. The new 2007 Toyota Camry is coming out soon. It comes with a very powerful 268HP V6 engine. It is more powerful than the Sonata and has better mileage.
  • Options
    Nope.
    The SAE gross brake horsepower tests prior to around 1972 were measured at the flywheel. The newer test was also measured at the flywheel, not the road wheels. The new test horsepower figures were referred to as SAE net brake horsepower.
    Both tests were run on an engine dynomometer, dyno for short. (The device which would be used to measure horsepower where the rubber meets the road is called a chassis dyno.)
    The difference was that the new test required all engine systems be attached and operating.
    The old test was often run with only the equipment necessary to make the motor run, e.g. a water pump, oil pump and carburetor (or fuel injection if so equipped).
    The new test required the air cleaner, alternator, full standard exhaust system including catalytic converter if so equipped, air pump and any other accessories and systems the car would normally have as delivered to the consumer.
    Horsepower measured at the road wheels on a chassis dyno reflects frictional losses in the transmission and drivetrain. Obviously, if power is measured at the flywheel, those items are not considered. Drivetrains vary in efficiency, robbing different amounts of power from the engine before the power reaches the road.
  • Options
    Feel? Hahaha! So size is an emotional experience now?

Maybe you need some more experiences. Use a measuring tape if you want accuracy. Feel is just an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

I realize the Sonata is compared most often to smaller, mid-sized cars. And I said exactly that in my post.
    The reason the EPA LARGE sized Sonata gets the best fuel economy of any LARGE sized car is chiefly because it is lighter than all of them AND, when equipped with the FOUR cylinder motor, it has the least power.
    I never said the Sonata V6 got better mileage than the Avalon, now did I?
    In the mid-size segment of EPA lists, the Elantra is the most fuel efficient gasoline non-hybrid car. That was true in 2005, and I think still may be true for 2006.
  • Options
    "Officially, the Sonata is classified by the government as a "large car" due to overall interior volume. Still, from behind the wheel, the 2006 Sonata doesn't feel appreciably larger than other midsize sedans like the Honda Accord or Nissan Altima."-Edmunds

Maybe you should tell Edmunds, "Maybe you need some more experiences."

Feel? Hahaha! So size is an emotional experience now?

I'll take your advice next time I purchase a car and base my purchase on measurements for more accuracy. Numbers can tell how comfortable a car is, right? ;);)
  • Options
    Comfort and size are not the same.
    My point was about size, not comfort.
    In fact, I think the non-power seats in Sonatas are very uncomfortable. So, if I was forced to buy a Sonata, it would have to be an LX model.
    To me, a 14 year old Accord has much more comfortable seats than the Sonata's non-electric ones.
    Of course I agree with you that how comfortable a car feels is important when buying. No argument from me about that.

And oh yeah, "Hey Edmunds! Maybe you need some more experiences!"
  • Options
    FYI, Power driver's seat is available on the GLS as an option.
  • Options
    Hey, I finally agree with an Accord advocate.
    Of course, a 14 year old Accord seat is more
    comfortable than a 2006 Accord also. :)
  • Options
    In watching the Super Bowl commercials, I see where
    the Fusion got it's name and grill design. The Fusion
    razor. :)
  • Options
    Even more than visually. I was amazed at the
    tolerances, and I measured, with a micometer.
    As good or better than any Honda I have owned,
    and way better than any Ford. Hope my grammar is
    satisfactory to y'all. :)
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Sonata... And look at that warranty.
    What a car!

You'll need the warranty too...I hope you enjoy loaner cars every month! Give me high quality/low warranty over low quality/high warranty any day.
  • Options
    Well, given the choice, I'll take a high quality/high warranty car--like the Sonata. :)
  • Options
    I agree it is hard to beat the Sonata in just about everyway.

I am glad to see such a prestigious authority as Edmund's sees this. Most other rating institutions automatically put down Toyota or Honda both I find way over rated.
  • Options
    Amen my brother!! Along with a road assistace program so when you get a flat tire they are there to help you out with a Honda you are on you own.
This discussion has been closed.